Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,805 | Reviews: 1,903
4.61/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Let me just say that I was a little wary when I purchased this beer. I'm not very partial to black IPA's, as I've had bad experiences with them. Actually, I purchased this beer as part of a four-pack that had three other stone beers I absolutely love. Here goes:

A: Very good. Pours thick and pitch-black. Given the alcohol content and presence of roasted malt, this isn't surprising. I do take a little issue with the size of the head, but the lacing was rather good (good protein content).

S: Again, very good. Roasted malt predominated by cascade and chinook hops. Slightly imbalanced, as the hops predominate, but good nonetheless.

T: WOW. Simply brilliant. A great interplay between the hops and the malt. The first taste one gets is the deep, dark-roasted chocolate malt. Chocolate and coffee predominate. Then, the malt is taken over by the hops, which impart flavors of grapefruit, lemon and pine. After swallowing, the taste of the burnt malt lingers in the back of the throat. Delicious.

M: Gorgeous. Nice and thick. It glides down the throat creamily.

O: A great beer. It has restored my faith in black IPA's. A great balance between malt and hops. Nearly perfect.

4.61/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I like black IPAs and Stone's offerings so I knew I wouldn't be disappointed.

A - Nice rich black color. Off white colored head with fine bubbles and light lacing.

S - Tons of citrusy, hoppy goodness and then some roasty aroma.

T - Great NW hops that provides a ton of flavor coating the palate. There is a sweet roasty character that compliments the hops very well. There is a strong bitterness from both the hops and the roasted malt but there is a sweet malty character that helps balance.
M - Moderate mouth-feel. Moderate carbonation. The mouth-feel allows the flavors to be savored and the carb helps the hops pop.

Overall, this is an amazing black IPA. Definitely a beer that I could drink often. I wouldn't want more than a couple at a time due to the tremendous flavor impact and bitterness but it is a tasty brew.

Glass- Snifter

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very dark indeed. Color is ruby brown, almost black aside from the red/purple-ish glow around the edges. Head is great looking. Its big and fluffy, oily, bubbly and color is an orangy beige. Retention is good too. Aroma is pleasing. Pine woods, leaves, orange skins, and a touch of apple, pinapple, dank fruit sweetness. Not done yet. Hop and malts are everywhere, delicately. Molasses blends great with the citrus all along with robust black chocolate. Flavor is delicious but I can't stop smelling this. I find it hard to believe that the sniffability is the only thing slowing down my drinking. Its extremely balanced. The flavors match the aroma - preeecisely on. This is not an extreme beer, but everything within that boundary....which I probably can't define.

All in all this is another great Stone offering. Happy 12th! They have to start distributing to NC so I can buy their awesome beer constantly.

4.62/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Black in color and poured a frothy and delicious two finger head when poured from a 12oz btl.

Tastes of licorice, wood, licorice, and booze. No complaints here.

Perfect balance of hops and malts. Could not get this down my throat quick enough. Slight licorice bitterness, but the malts counteract it perfectly.

Mouthfeel is silky, rich, and boozy, a definite keeper.

Overall this is one of my favorite versions of a black IPA. Just Simply Great.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale (black IPA)

12 oz brown bottle poured into a stemless white wine glass. Enjoy by date printed on the neck.

Pours pitch black. No light comes through the glass. A nice two and a half finger mocha colored head, that lasts a while. Gives way to sticky lacing all over the bulb of the glass.

The aroma is amazing! Sweet stout like malts, with a huge hoppy burst. Smell is very inviting.

Taste is amazing too. Starts out hoppy with a nice IPA taste. Ends sweet and smooth with stout like qualities. This is a top quality brew!

Mouth feel is excellent. No complaints at all. Nice carbonation. A hoppy bitter bite clings, and ends smooth and a carmel stout like feel.

Overall Stone cant brew a bad beer, they just cant! Every brew they make is outstanding. This is an IPA to remember that's for sure. Every time i see a stone brew i have not had yet I am quick to snag it up.

4.62/5  rDev +9.5%

22 oz. bomber poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours pretty much black with a finger of mocha head; dissipates but leaves some lacing.

S: I'm getting a strong hops smell here...just like sticking your face in a bag of hop pellets. This smells very fresh.

T: Very complex tasting: the fresh hops are definitely there but also licorice, dark fruit, coffee and chocolate.

M: Mouthfeel is on the full side of medium with a perfect level of carbonation that does not get in the way.

D: The alcohol is nowhere to be found. This is a great beer. I'm not sure that Black IPA works for me as a style but this transcends the style.

4.62/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours black with a creamy tan head, Shrinks slowly, leaving panels of lace down the sides of the glass.

Scent is toasty and biscuity with a bright citrus note - grapefruit and orange - and a resiny pine scent. Yum.

Taste is citrus (grapefruit, orange, lemon!), piney, earthy, oniony hops. That's a lot of hops. I forgot spicy hops. A satisfying roasty and toasted chocolate malt note peers out from the pile of oily cones.

Mouth is slick, soapy and on the slender side of medium.

Drinkability is excellent. 8.7% abv hidden well.

Fantastic beer. Hop flavors and scents are complex and intense and the malt presence is the perfect counterpart. This is the best beer I have had in quite some time.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very appealing root beer appearance with coppery edges. A large, frothy head that leaves a thin layer of foam and sparse lacing as it recedes. The aroma is a blend of citrus and sharp hops, a bit metallic; reminds me of the smell of a jar full of old pennies just opened. I loved that smell as a kid. Strong hops bitterness hits up front, citrus again with a little hint of alcohol followed by some mild maltiness. Just the right level of carbonation, the hops drys the mouth and leaves touch of bitterness in the back of the tongue. A delicious, unique and satisfying ale all around.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

1 pint 6 oz bottle with no date poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance - Black body with faint deep red glimmers when held up to a light source. Light brown head with decent to low lacing and decent retention.

Smell - A forest by the ocean. Reminds me of North Carolina. Woody, chocolate, lots of wet grass, floral. Tobacco and ash. Some fruity sweetness peeks through when given a swirl. One of the best smelling beers I've had in a while.

Taste - Wow. Hard fast and complex. Starts of with a light hint of thin sweetness followed quickly by a strong hay-like hop kick and bitterness. Builds up into a lime peel and creamed coffee bittersweetness. Finishes with a healthy hop and malt buzz, mostly leaning to the hoppy side, that lingers well into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Creamy and full bodied with a bite-y alcoholic effervescence and some solvency. Warming booziness.

Overall Drinkability - Very drinkable, especially considering the kick and alcohol content. I want to dub it an extreme session (though the bros already have a different use for that term).

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very dark brown almost black with a nice thick off-white head, lots of lacing.

Amazingly complex smell, intense aroma of pine needles and citrus fruit, strawberries and a hint of dark malts and coffee, one of the best smelling beers my nostrils have ever had the privilege of sniffing.

Tastes like it smells, some coffee and dark fruity malts and intense piney hop finish, this is a hop bomb for sure with a nice malty body to balance it out.

Smooth thick mouthfeel and highly drinkable, especially for the aclochol. I don't know what kind of beer this is, it's more like a dark imperial IPA, possibly the best stone beer ever.

4.62/5  rDev +9.5%

Taken from notes of the Mondial

A: Pours deep black but just so slightly translucent giving away a light brown/cola hue. Moka head, good retention and lacing.

S: Quite nice mix of strong chocolate, coffee, light vanilla mixed with a solid amount of west coast style hopping that consists of: grapefruit, unripe pineapple, tangerine, pine and fresh mint. Strong, but not wow-like strong smell.

T: The intensity of the taste is just amazing. There are solid dark chocolate in this, coffee and vanilla like most stouts. Again, the hopping is perfect, thanks to the experience Stone has in this subject: super aromatic use of hops with strong grapefruit, pineapple, juicy tangerine, pine and fresh mint. Perfectly balanced of all the fruity juicy-ness and the roasted characteristics of the malt.

M: Smaller than other ABA of this ABV as expected from the look of the beer. Still solid with low carbonation.

O: Another amazing brew from what I consider the best brewery in the world. This sets the bar as to what a damn near perfect ABA should be. And it's easy to get. What more can you ask?

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes. Had on tap at The Brass Tap.

A: Very very dark brown to black. About one-finger head that lasts.

S: Sweet aroma with resin & floral hoppiness. Some sourness there also to me, but not in a bad way. Roasted malts in the background, and become more prominent as the beer warms.

T: Piney & flowery hops balanced with a good roasted coffee malt flavor. Pleasant slight sour aftertaste. Alcohol presence in the background, but it's not overwhelming.

M: Good smooth mouthfeel & substantial body. The hops give a good "mouth tingle".

O: Very very good beer. One of my favorites from Stone. I've had this on-tap & in the bottle, and it's good beer however it gets into my glass.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Now this is a big black IPA done right. Assaults the glass with a viscous darkness and a puffy bagel colored head. The head is monster and unrelenting at a solid 2" of foam. It smells of a promising future in surfing (sea water) and landscaping (big grassy scent). I'm guessing that they do late hop additions and whirlpool this super beer.

Taste is bitter up front with plenty of indian river citrus rind, key lime and malt follows. Great big wonderful taste of fresh hops without being completely nuclear bitter. Just enough alcohol and rich smoked and toffee malt added to a base of amber malt to make it refreshingly good.

It's rich, chewy, smooth and a good friend while watching the NFC championship! Go Giants!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I picked up a couple bottles of this while I was in Boston for work. With first pour, I knew this was an entirely different beer than one normally gets their hands on. I recently brewed a double black IPA and thought it was wonderful, but it pales in comparison to this. This is, undoubtedly, an Imperial Black IPA. The unbelievable hop powerhouse aroma unleashes itself immediately. Massive pine and grassy overtones explode in the nose. Sticking your head in a bin of freshly picked hops is comparable to this smell. Jet black body with beige head. Lacing was intense and carbonation was lively. The taste was all IPA from beginning to end. Wonderful hop presence throughout with a warming alcohol taste. Maltiness is there but well hidden behind the hops. Sharpness is intense but very enjoyable. The high abv is hidden behind the IBUs. This is a wonderfully crafted beer that hop heads need to try. I would love to know how they managed to get the dark body without the roasted bitterness. For my Black IPA, I cold steeped de-bittered black malt for 2 days. This a superb beer.

4.62/5  rDev +9.5%

I live in MN, and don't get access to the Stone gems. I was going to trade this to a friend without tasting it, but he surprised me by opening it and letting me try it with him. Thanks, Jeppe!

I knew this was going to be a black IPA, or an India Black Ale, however you want to call it. I am a big fan of expanding the definitions of traditional styles, and Stone did just that with this brew. Poured dark and opaque. It had a healthy head on it, like any IPA should. Not viscous like an Imp. Stout, but just very different from most beers.

I was too eager to taste this one, so I forgot to dissect the nose. I apologize. But I'm not going to make up a fake one. I'm going it assume it was good, based on my other ratings.

At first I felt a little let down because it just tasted like a regular IPA, but ... wait for it ... the roasted barley showed up. I am pretty sure it was roast barley and not chocolate or black patent - but maybe I'm wrong. But it was a subtle flavor that just boosted the malt profile to round out the flavor and balance the hops. Truly elegant.

Creative and artistic with this beer. Fantastic stuff. It left the great sticky tackiness of a good IPA, but with some added depth from the darker grains. I could have drank the whole bomber, but I just appreciated my taste.

I guess the only criticism I might have would be that I was hoping for just a little more from the dark grains. As stated above, they made their appearance, and it was great, but perhaps just a touch more would have been nice. BUT, the subtleties are what make this the beer that it is.

Get it. Drink it.

4.62/5  rDev +9.5%

Had this on cask at the 2010 Firkin Festival.

Black IPA dry hopped with Chinook. Funny, I literally just had the regular Black IPA version of this on draft at Pi Bar this week.

This poured a dark chocolate with a touch of light cream.

Nose: Mmmmm dry hopped mixed with some light malty deliciousness and some grapefruit skin bitterness.

It tasted hoppy with a good roasted malt backbone, then roasted coffee, then back to a bitter grapefruit skin finish.

Good carbonation, great mouthfeel.
Sooo good. I LOVE this freaking beer. I can say hands down, this is the BEST Black IPA I have ever had! It has SUCH an incredible balance of being a hugely hopped IPA with a soft, sweet malty balance. Mmmm mmmm good.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- A deep black beer with a beautiful tan head. Head dissipates but lingers throughout. Beautiful beer.

S- Smell is to die for. Some roasted coffee like notes, a little chocolate, and other roasted malt rests beneath a beautiful hop aroma that just blows me away. Seems to be a perfect balance of hops and roasted malts.

T/M- Taste is equally impressive with the perfect balance of hops, and roasted malts. Extremely easy to drink with a medium body, and a very nice finish.

O- Amazing beer. Definitely my favorite easy to come by, drink any time beer. Possibly one of my favorite beers overall. I would highly recommend this beer to anyone, especially any one looking to explore the black IPA style.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just good. Surprisingly warm and very, very good. It will hang with the best ales I've ever had.

I've had varying experiences with Stone but I couldn't resist the bottle. I opened it with low expectations, but was sold at the first smell.

Usually I suspect dark beers of adding black to make them dark. I don't have that feeling here. It numbed me so fast and had me hating that I took the last sip.

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

Stone 11th anniversary pours a deep black with hints of red when held up to the light. It has a creamy brown head that lingers nicely. The aroma is sweet and malty with loads if citrusy hops. There are hints of darker malts, but not as much as I would expect from the color. The flavor starts with sweet dark caramel, but it quickly gives way to bitter, citrusy hops. If I wasn't looking at the color of this beer I would just assume it was a big resiny DIPA, but if I look for them, the roasted malts come through in the finish. The alcohol and strength are both well hidden, probably because the beer is just overboard with flavor.

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

Great Black IPA. Best I have ever had.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bomber poured to a Sam Adams "perfect pint" glass.

A - nearly opaque black with a hint of ruby highlight if held up to the sunlight. Tan head with decent staying power.

S - Hops dominate with a complex blend of citrus, pine, and herbal/woody aromas. Low roast malt in the background with hints of coffee and bitter chocolate. I also get some licorice. Very inviting.

T - Hop forward, but nicely balanced. Lots of piney, woody hops that linger all the way through the finish. Bitterness comes up fast and lingers into a long finish. Roast malt supports the hops, but stays in the background. Hints of coffee and burnt toast.

M - Medium-light body and medium high carbonation combine for a highly drinkable beer. Dry finish with some dark malt astringency. Very low alcohol warmth - very well hidden.

O - I seem to have a love-hate relationship with this style, and this one is definitely on the "love" side. I love the complex, dominant hop profile, but the roast malt supports the hops just right for the style. This beer reinforces Stone as a go-to brewery for me.

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

22 oz. bomber into my stone 9th anniversery pint glass. pours a dark dark mahogany color, pretty much porter status. off white thick head with nice sticky lacing.

smell is wonderfull. such a great blend of chocolate, piney hops and malts. not one single thing over powers one another. picture perfect balance.

the taste is a resemblence to arrogant bastard but with a few tweeks to it. aggressive piney hops with just the near perfect amount of chocolaty malts which leades to a plesent dry bitter aftertaste.

full bodied soft chewy mouthfeel.

this is quite possibly one of the best fresh and well balanced brews from stone i've ever had. such a better blend than last years 10th anniversery(which was also a great brew too, don't get me wrong). i'll be getting as much fresh bottles of this as possible.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle dated "Enjoy By" 10/24/2013, into a tulip.
Appearance - pitch black, a thick, meringue-like, tan head; rings of lacing!
Smell - brilliant hop forward in the nose, with some hints of some roasted coffee beans!
Taste - just great! Follows the nose, maybe a touch more of the roasted coffee bean than is present in the nose. The 8.7% ABV is hidden beatuifully!
Feel - complex like great black IPA's seem to be! Medium body, noticeable carbonation, hop forward, but terrific balance with the dark malts!
Overall - I could drink this everyday and not get tired of it, fantastic beer!

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

What a great beer! Dark, a really dark tan color--almost black. Fair carbonation. Coffee fan? You will love this bitter beer! Feels creamy in the mouth, goes down smooth, but has an unexpected bitter finish. This beer is overwhelming, and pretty much dominates your palette. Do not start with this first unless you only plan on drinking this all night, or plan to move up to something even more rich in flavor.

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

This bottle is consumed (without hesitation of course) in honor of Michael Jackson.

A - Black (dark brown) brew with a large head that dissipates leaving thick intricate lacing all down the sides of the glass. The inital head had the same cascade effect as guinness. Quite attractive.

S - Faint caramel, chocolate and black patent under a viscous onslaught of hops. A very spicy, white pepper dominates with a more subtle pine and lily aroma.

T - The dark flavors are subdued, but there is a detectable flavor of black patent and even a touch of cocoa. But the real flavors are in the hops, the hop assault is peppery with a hint of pine. Aftertaste is a potent bitterness that leaves you craving another sip. Very nice.

M - Smooth, medium bodied, very refreshing in spite of the harshness from the hops.

D - Wow! The abv is felt quickly. Distribution of this beer is wide, but, hell, I might pick up a few of these as trade bait for the future. I suppose the claim that it is not a stout and not a porter, but a black IPA is warranted. It is basically to a porter what an IPA is to an ESB. So really, it is a black IPA. I am guesing more breweries will produce one of these soon.

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.