Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,885 | Hads: 5,820
4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

A light brown color, with touches of red along the sides of the glass. A two inch thock head foems, beige in color, and lacing slowly down the glass. An incrdible aroma of citrus, mostly grapefruit, pine and grass scents, with a earthy mellowness. There is a surprisingly feint scent of malt at the end. At first taste that malt is very apparent, with a sweet, nutty flavor. That flavor is overtaken by a dominant hop presence, with grapefruit and grassy tastes being the strongest. A medium bodied feel all the way through, very consistant, coats the palate evenly and a dry finish lingers for some time. WOW! What else is there to say, this is an excellent beer. I thought the tenth anniversary brew was outstanding, this beer surpasses that one. (748 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

A love child of a Stout and an IPA?!?!

Stone has done it again, taking an extreme and making it extreme(er?).

Upon opening the bomber, befor I even poured it into the glass, the aroma hits you and gets your mouth watering.

It pours chestnut brown with a mild storm that builds a light caramel head that rises to a finger or so then starts to fall and holds to a lacey ring.
I was impressed by the balanced battle of grainy roasty aroma with hints of coffee and molassas with the hops spicey piney strength.

My first sip dissappointed me with a lack of vicosity that my mind was preparing for. but that dissappointment was quickly slapped out of my head by the intence continuation of the aromatic battle for the nose.

usually(to me) flavors come in and fade out with different highlights throuout the taste and the glass. But this; everything is there the whole time, the malt, the hops pushing against each other for pallete dominance. neither gaining advantage over the other, until the very end. long after the sip is swallowed, the hops fade out leaving a satifying roasty bite that lingers until the next sip.

All in all agreat beer, but it is a thinker. (1,165 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

This beer was served in a Imperial Nonic. The beer was moderately chilled.

Appearance: The beer pours a delightful chocolatey color. The head of the beer has a pleasing cocoa brown colortion. The head never truly dies down. Thick streams of lacing cling to my glass.

Smell: Pine needles and citrus waft above a sea of vanilla and chocolatey maltyness.

Taste: This beer starts with a very pleasing pine oilyness. The pine gives way to grapefruit citrus. The chocolatey malty backbone of the beer peaks out like an atoll in the ocean. There it is no it has gone under. Well played Stones.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a medium plus body. The carbonation is well done. The flavors last a long while. This was a very satisfying and great tasting beer. I expected nothing less from Stones. Thanks to Stones Brewing for a most excellent beer drinking experience. (870 characters)

On tap at Brew House Grill

A--Nearly pitch black...not what I expected. Slight deep ruby highlights on edges. Nice, fluffy, off-white head. Laces very nicely.

S--Huge hops, lots of pine resin and citrus. Must be dry-hopped to high heaven as I could not discern a malt presence at all.

T--BAM! hops flavors are grapefruit and pine. More tasting unveils a bit of chocolate, caramel and roasted malt flavors. Finishes with a ton of hops in the aftertaste.

M--Big rich and full bodied with tons o hops and a nice malt afterkick.

D--Lots o hops and a good malt backbone...what more could you want. I really enjoyed drinking this offering from Stone...another fine offering! I could easily drink 2 or 3 in a row...well done! (725 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

22 oz bottle bought for $5.79. Best by 11/10, so this should be pretty fresh.

A: Very black, dramatically so. Disappointingly small head that's gone almost immediately. Like many IPAs, doesn't appear very carbonated.

S: Full, fantastic pine and citrus hop aroma. Despite its appearance, I don't get a trace of roasty smells, just hop glory.

T: Wonderful. Pine and soft tangerines. Significantly bitter. Very long taste.

M: Heavier than Stone IPA, but not the heaviness of, say, a porter. A bit of a prickle also.

O: This is unlike any other beer and is remarkably affordable given its quality. In a lineup that ranges from good (porter, pale) to incredible (IPA, IRS), Sublimely Self Righteous is maybe Stone's apotheosis. (731 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

Whoaaaa! This beer IS righteously titled. Normally I don't go too much for hoppy dark beers, but this one is GREAT!! Poured with a smallish tan head and a little lace. Color is a very dark almost black brown. Aroma is very hoppy, roasty, cocoa, malt, toffee, iron. Flavor's similar to nose. Hop is not fruity, thank goodness. Great body and carbonation fit the style perfectly. Finish (with good burps!) is like flavor, mostly bitter with a hint of malt sweetness to smooth it out and is of medium length. Session for sure, even though it's so rich. Excellent! (560 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

Crap man, this is good beer!

Nice dark brown color with a creamy beige head. Looks just like a porter.

Smells wonderful with a fruity hop bouquet up front and some roasty aroma in the finish. Smells simply sublime.

Nice fully body with some malt sweetness then a kick of American hops. Firmly bitter finish with some roasty flavor from the carafa.

Man, this beer rocks. (373 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

Served from a bottle into a pint glass, enjoyed with a good friend on a Friday evening. Appearance is very deceptive, I was expecting something overly malty and sweet given the dark reddish look of this beer. Smell is very interesting, very malty, extremely hoppy, but not overpowering. This beer tastes exceptional, very well balanced, very smooth and drinkable. Alcohol taste is masked easily by the loud flavors. This is definitely a beer that I would recommend to others and purchase for myself in the near future. I have never tasted a beer similar to this one, it seems like Stone definitely took it upon themselves to make their 11th anniversary a special one. (667 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

The beer poured well. The head kept longer than I could wait to drink it. This beer had one of the most intense and pleasing aromas of a beer in a long time. Mouthfeel was pleasingly thick with a slight bite at the end. taste suggested dark burnt candy, rasins and coffee. could feel the alcohol warmth after first sip (gulp). very good beer, but could drink this all night. (374 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

I wasn't quite sure what to expect from a 'dark IPA' but I was very pleasantly surprised by the result. It poured almost pitch-black with a perfect, creamy head that never disappeared and left some rich lacing on the glass. The taste seemed to me like a perfect marriage of a top-notch Stout or Porter and IPA. The rich malts were superbly balanced by the bold, yet not overly bitter hops and the bottle went down very easily. I was amazed at how drinkable this rich, strong beer proved to be. Perfectly executed.

EDIT: It was so good, it inspired me to write my first review (576 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

I came across this first on draught in Stubbies in Gainesville FL. I wasn't told the name, just that it was a black IPA. My friend got one first, him not being a beer lover, thought it was pretty good, so I ordered one and I flipped my shit. I could not, for the love of God, put it down. Once that stuff connected with my tongue, it was over and 2 more had to be on the way. Now I'm reviewing it in bottle form and it's just as good as I remembered it.

A: Nothing this dark have I had the pleasure of experiencing as a beer so unexpectedly refreshing and light(er). It is really dark, and it's not something I quite expected from the taste. From the look of it I'd expect something more like Dogfish Head's World Wide Stout, and if you know that one, then you can understand my surprise.

S: It's very present, but not overflowing. Kind of like a barbecue. It plays a big role in the taste.

T: Solidly smoked grains play in chord with the light bite of the hops. Malts are deftly woven as a foundation, more or less unnoticed by my tongue. A long aftertaste remains, like having a partly overcooked piece of chicken with charcoaled skin to bite through, and it is spectacular... Hold on, the glass is empty... I'll be right back. Mmm, much better. One more thing, it's always seemed a bit salty to me, I like it alot.

M: The bubbly is pretty shallow. It's the only thing I could hope for more of. It is good, just in my preference, I could enjoy a bit more.

D: Hell, even my burps are delicious. What do you think it's like going down? If I had this for every day of my life, well, for one I'd have an awesome beer belly, but secondly, I don't think you could find me tired of this taste. At least give me 20 years with this stuff, then maybe I'll reconsider. (1,768 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is just about anything I could want a beer to be. Smooth and dark with a rich creamy head. Just the right balance of hops and malt to balance the ABV. Dangerous beer. Don't skip it if you get a chance. (206 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

Appearance - pours like a stout, dark with several fingers of light mocha head. Against good lighting, the bottom of the glass (a Stella Artois gold-rimmed thing that looks like a wine glass on 'roids) shows burgundy highlights and good clarity. As the head falls back, lacing forms like tree rings as a batter-like plug in the middle is going nowhere.

Aroma - piny hops have a low but somewhat intense role. They are mixed with a sweet graininess that struggles for identity among the cones. As soon as I think I smell something akin to cocoa or cola, it's gone.

Taste - what is this, a chocolate IPA? Roasty sweet malts, chocolate coming through briefly. The hops blend in there, starting sweet and citrusy, and keep on coming. The full bitterness is not over the top, but very nicely done. The hops stop short of palate scorch, I appreciate that. A bitter dryness on the swallow, grapefruit rind primarily. A roasty malt reprise every once in a while but not always, a orangey citrus finish occasionally, but not always. Finishes with a kiss of abv warmth.

Mouthfeel - smoothness was noted on the first sip. Solid body and moderate carbonation keep the show rolling.

Drinkability - makes me wish I had six more. Best hopper I've had in a while. (1,251 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

Review done from notes - Had on tap at Indiana Brewers Guild Winterfest. (1 of only 2 beers stone had on tap that night)

A - Looks like used motor oil, dense dark black color with a thin dark brown head. You can still see some carbonation bubbles rise up the side.

S - Nice aroma, some hop forward characters with lots of different malts ligering leaving hints of coffee chocolate and a bit of sweet caramel. Also a strong piney hop flavor leaving giving this a full balanced aroma.

T - Spectacular! I've never had such a dark beer have so much hop flavor it. All the hops completely overpower any chance the malts had to make this a sweet beer. The strong piney hops give this beer such a unique flavor, its very refreshing.

M - I was expecting a much thicker feeling taste. This poured pretty heavy, but as I drank it I realized the viscosity was actually pretty thin. Still had a good amount of carbonation making for a drinkable, refreshing beer.

O - Overall a world class beer, Not a perfect 5 but close. (1,015 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured from a 22oz bomber.

Appearance is dark almost stout like with a 2 cm head that fades rather quickly. Beautiful. 4.5

Smell is that of a double IPA on Guinness steroids. Excellent 4.0

Taste is magnificent! Think a ruination with a small batch of old Rasputin and that's exactly what this great ale Sums up to. Nice and bitter with just the right amount if hops to dark roasted barley. Grapefruit then coffee beautifulness! 5.0

Mouthfeel is nice and carbonated yet very smooth, dare I say velvet? Groovy. 4.5

Overall my vote would be to rate this up there with the best of them. Pallet differences aside for anyone who likes porter/stouts and a great IPA this is for you. Hands down the best "black IPAS" I've ever had. Thank you Stone brewery! (753 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

Obtained from PHawk in our massive Darkness trade.

Poured into my Aventinus glass.

A: pours a dark ruby brown and quickly forms a big, khaki head, lacing everywhere, looks great

S: almost all hops, but a deep, dark citrus thanks to the huge malt back

T: hop bite up front, but an intriguing almost sweet red berry in the middle, which tapers into an oaky finish.

M: smooth, a little less carbonation than I was expecting, slightly creamy, but still bitey from the hops

D: very hoppy, yet the intense malt backbone compliments it very well. A very unique "IPA" that is a sipper but quite delicious. Had to save some of mine for the next night. (648 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Nice three finger head with nice lacing and retention. Dark brown color that is pretty thick.

Smell, caramel malts are huge on the bill. I also smell some pale and a little chocolate characteristic on the malts. Wonderfully complex. Smells like cascade/amarrillo/chinook hops in the backround. Nice raisin undertones

Taste: Wonderfully complex with pale malts follwed by caramel malt sweetness balanced by a chocolate maltiness with a nice hopping to balance. Nice grape and resin taste provide a balance as well. Such balance with an awesome complexity. No doubt, this is the best stone beer that I have ever tasted. I love the oaked bastard, but this is my favorite of the collection. I hope I can keep my other sample for trade bait. It will be a bit hard.

Mouthfeeel has a nice bite from the carbonation which provides a good crispness. It also has a light creaminess. Very nice. I ususally have an issue with stone beers in the mouthfeel department, but this is splendid.

One of the easiest to drink strong ales I've had to date. I wish this was part of the stone line up for the rest of time. (1,114 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a completely foreboding, opaque black that produces an immensely dense head and sticky lacing along the sides of the tulip.

S: Lots of grapefruit (and, dare I say, pineapple) in the nose, very hopped out with a hint of pine and grass. Overall, an aromatic swirl of hops with a spicy tinge.

T: Upon examining the beer visually, I was curious about the lack of malty notes in the bouquet, being overpowered by the hop presence. However, the taste reveals a subtle, but detectable roasted malt character underneath a wave of grapefruit-citrus hops. Actually, there is quite a balance stuck here. With enough malt in the base to push this hop attack through, it's reminiscent of an Arrogant Bastard in a sense, only with seemingly more complexity with more relaxed results. Aftertaste is a lingering citrusy taste and that hint of malt sticks around a smidgeon, too. Gets even better as it warms.

M: Plenty of carbonation that produces a rather velvety mouthfeel. Oily hop residue subsides smoothly in the finish, coating the back of the mouth but with a sweetness from the malt that avoids a disgusting aftertaste.

D: Complexity, balance, and an arsenal of flavor, this beer is fantastic. I expected nothing less from Stone, but was still blown away by what I got. This one should definitely not be missed, and even though it's flavors and alcohol are dialed up, it is remarkably drinkable in nature. (1,410 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Standard 22oz brown glass bottle with a pry-off cap sporting the Stone Gargoyle.
The label is silk screened as always showing a new gargoyle in profile.
Opaque black body with a tan half creamy and half airy big bubbled head that has great retention and good lace.
Delicious hoppy and bittersweet chocolate scent, very inviting. Nuts, earth, mulch and vegetable.
The flavor is amazingly hoppy with a malty chocolate bean character. The aftertaste is never ending and strong with plenty of resin hops, mulch malts with chocolate bits and nuts.
Full body with good coating and a very dry finish.
Excellent drinkability. Very much true to the style and an absolute pleasure to drink.

-Oelergud (691 characters)

Bought a bomber at AJ's in Scottsdale, AZ.\

The brew w/o tasting has very hoppy IPA scent.

After pouring has a thick, long-lasting, lacy head. Piney, herby, citrusy dominates.

Pungent taste. Strong pine taste on tongue... almost overdoing it... almost.

Perfect for a hophead!

I think this is one of the most hop crazy beers I've had in a long time. Be wary! (362 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

-good cup lacing, dark beer little to no light gets through
-pungent sweet smelling hops floralish
-taste is next to none, has the hoppy bite of a ipa but finishes with more of a smokey porter with roasted notes. the best of both worlds and with a ale sweetness
- hops don't effect drink ability, feels dark with thickness but it washes away pleasantly
-amazing beer one of my favorite beers i have drank to date, so complex with the flavors that pair so well together (469 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%

Appearance: An opaque, ebony brew with a smooth tan head that melts quickly due to the high alcohol content, but still leaves lacing on the glass. 2/3

Aroma: Refreshing C-hops mix surprisingly well with roasty coffee notes from the malt. Some tropical fruit aromas add additional brightness and complexity. 12/12

Taste: Roasted, almost smoky malt leads to well brewed coffee flavors that mix nicely with a heavy sigh of citrus, earth, and pine. Almost reminiscent of a rauchbier, as the smoky flavors give way to some uniquely savory tastes. 19/20

Mouthfeel: Medium body leads the way to a dry finish, thanks to a medium dose of carbonation. Slight chewiness brings additional depth to the flavor, while typical IPA bitterness reminds us that the beer is ultimately "true to style." 5/5

Overall: A unique, delicious, well-crafted IPA that balances black smokiness with bright hops. There definitely exists the notion that by calling upon unquestionable expertise, this beer achieves the nearly unthinkable. Absolutely incredible. 9/10

TOTAL: 47/50 (1,052 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale pours a black color, with a small lacing head. There is a nice smokey, but mostly floral aroma. The taste has a sharp hoppy kick, then finished smooth and smokey, with hints of a burnt like malt flavors. Good full flavors. Overall this beer is soo incredibly enjoyable, great full intense flavors. (326 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I just have to second many of the thoughts of those that enjoyed this beer. Though I read the reviews before drinking (I already had purchased two bottles), I was quite surprised at how much I liked it. They experimented with this beer and really hit the mark in my estimation. Simply, I just wanted to give further props to a beer that is not only interesting, but pretty damn good to drink as well. (400 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

(NOTE, may 2010: the entry for stone 11th anniv. ale has been merged into this one. the following review is for the original 11th anniv. ale)

(originally tasted during the first week of dec 2008, but retired beers were temporarily un-reviewable at the time.)

brought a bottle with me here to beijing earlier in the year, and had been in the fridge ever since the late spring of 2008, before the weather got even the tiniest bit warmer.

poured into tulip.

almost pitch black. amber-brown tones are visible only under direct intense light. great foamy head that slowly fades to a thin wispy layer and ring. nice rings of lace.

piney, fruity and citrusy immediately upon pouring and instantly waft out from the glass, perceptible even though it's a couple feet away from my nose. roasted and caramel malts, approaching chocolately in character. heavy on caramel and rich toffee scents, with hints of coffee. otherwise, quite clean (and free of phenols).

flavor is a sublime balance of caramelized, roasted maltiness and piney/citrusy american hops, which also stay grassy and herbal in the back. more reminiscences of coffee and a hint of cocoa. resinous, bitter hop freshness persists throughout, but syrupy malts still peek through - even in the hoppy, resinous finish.

feel is smooth and substantial, like a light syrup. gentle to moderate carbonation provides counterbalance to resinous texture.

the boldness and high alcohol probably limits drinkability, but i'd be hard pressed to stop ;-)

an amazing brew. i'm so happy that stone will be re-releasing this as a semi-regular offering in the future.

(NOTE, mid 2009: when i was writing my tasting notes by hand, i had no idea at the time that the re-release would include the word "sublime" in the name. it really was just THAT good!) (1,796 characters)

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.