Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros
Bdiddy4826

South Carolina

2.5/5  rDev -40.8%

07-12-2013 05:56:41 | More by Bdiddy4826
fscottkey

2.55/5  rDev -39.6%

A: Poured into a tulip glass. Pours a dark black with a minimal head. The head dissipated immediately.

S: Dark fruits, figs, slight chocolate and musty overtones. Some hop notes too.

T: Smoke, and some fruits. Astringent after taste that is not pleasant.

M: Smooth but with a bit of a carbonated edge to it.

I am pretty surprised by this one. I haven't had a lot of Black Ales, but I love Southern Tier Iniquity. The astringent aftertaste on this one makes it so I won't have another in the future.

03-22-2014 01:45:52 | More by fscottkey
Oxymoron

Colorado

2.56/5  rDev -39.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a midnight black color with brown hues throughout. A soft brown head with limited retention but some lacing.

Hop forward in the aroma. Some pine and citrus notes. Some herbal and bit of cat pee. Some yeasty notes, esters, rose peddles and tropical fruits and a light fig. Some buytic notes, dirty feet.

The taste follows suit per the aroma. The hops come out at first and leave a balance taste. Mostly a pine earthy almost woody note. But a strong bitterness and astringency mute the finish. Again some off yeasty notes are a bit deterrent. Fruity esters and herbal floral. Some tar like tastes that were off setting and noticeable dirty feet finish. So much so I felt this was a drain poor.

The body was moderately light. Some drying finish and ashy. astringent finishes. Carbonation was light. Overall good hop presence but because of the off yeast notes I couldn't finish it.

03-11-2013 01:10:55 | More by Oxymoron
glazeman

2.63/5  rDev -37.7%

Split with airohead2001

A: Dark brown with a 3 finger tan colored head that has excellent retention and lacing.

S: There's a lot of hoppy bitterness on the nose mixed with a little bit of smokiness.

T: I'm not a big fan of the taste here. There's a lot of bitterness, and not the normal kind of pleasant bitterness that accompanies a good IPA, but rather a sort of rancid sort of staleness. There's some coffee and smokiness also, but not much else.

M: Well, there's a nice level of carbonation, but an unpleasant aftertaste. The viscosity is about what I'd expect.

D: I don't think I would drink this again unless it were already inebriated and it were handed to me for free.

02-24-2011 02:24:12 | More by glazeman
Hawksfan79

Washington

2.7/5  rDev -36%

Glass: Oversized wine glass.

Appearance: Motor oil black, thick frothy mocha colored head and a really nice lacing down the side of the glass.

Aroma: Hoppy with a slight molasses, I was also getting a sweet bready aroma.

Taste: Strong hop flavor at first, a slight hay flavor was detected in quite a few sips and a bitter finish. It didn't seem to have much more than hops going for it.

Mouthfeel: Light body, thin texture with a bitter finish.

This was pretty disappointing. I'm a huge fan of Stone but this ale really didn't do anything for me. However while the taste left a lot to be desired the aroma was phenomenal.

01-16-2013 00:30:23 | More by Hawksfan79

W0rter

07-19-2012 03:58:15 | More by W0rter
BearsOnAcid

2.8/5  rDev -33.6%

Poured vigorously into a large tulip. XI has a large khaki head that sits upon a brown opaque body of liquid. Chocolate and the signature Stone aroma wafts into the air. Smells like a vintage Double Bastard with a dark malt presence.

Flavor is extremely mellow. Hops are pretty much absent from flavor but causes a slight bitterness at the back of the palate, leaving an astringent finish. Age has tamed this beer completely. Slight burnt sugar and sweetness. I never had this fresh but if the recipe is exactly the same as Sublimely Self Righteous Ale then this is just a rusted hollow shell of it's former self.

I had an 8 or 10 month old SSR (first batch) and that seemed to be the proper amount of time if you want to age it. Dark malts had a stronger presence and the hops have only partially faded enough to be in perfect balance.

This beer is still drinkable. Alcohol is more prevalent since the beer is so unpronounced now. Carbonation is lively, I could tell immediately from the loud hiss as I opened the bottle. Definitely past its prime though.

05-03-2010 23:03:16 | More by BearsOnAcid
guinness33

2.83/5  rDev -32.9%

Appearance is a nice near black colour with a thick creamy looking tan head that has decent retention time and leaves a good amount of residue on the glass.

The aroma is a great blend of pine and fruit hops, caramel and chocolate malt, with perhaps a touch of coffee as well. It's sweeter than it is rugged, and hoppier than malty. Just really nice overall.

Flavour is a blend of dirty, oily hops, with some pine and fruit coming through again (the latter a bit more so than the former). Definitely some roasted malt in the mix here too. There's a bit of alcohol harshness that mixes with the bitterness from the hops at the finish of each sip as well. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, slick and oily, with a bit of hotness to it.

Aside from a nice look and a very nice aroma, I unfortunately was not a fan of this brew. It's the first Stone beer that I can recall not liking. I just felt the flavours didn't mesh well at all. The numbers will show this one as a positive recommendation, but I can't say that I can recommend this one. It's interesting for sure and has a good amount of flavour, but there's just something about this one that I didn't like. A disappointment for sure.

09-18-2007 03:35:39 | More by guinness33
maximum12

2.88/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to gford217 for this bottle, one of two remaining survivors from an epic SS08. The final one, one of my prizes, is in the fridge & will be going down soon, too.

After four days of crappy beer in Lisbon, I really didn't need a beer to top of the jet lag tonight, but hell, I need to recall what real beer tastes like (though that port wine is really good!). This pours dark, with a foul flickering, deep red running the corners. Smells...oxidized. Oh oh.

And it is. Stone XI hasn't aged well to my palate, although my wife is quite enjoying it, so I know it's not the bottle that's gone bad. There are chimes underneath; fallen figs, heavy sherry, coffee and cream, roast. Hops are faded, but the grapefruit arrives fashionably late. As the beer warms a bit, I warm to it a bit, too. Maybe just a bit. Still lively after all this time.

Well, I now wish I'd consumed this a year ago, but based on the reviews it seemed to be still blazing strong. Decent enough beer, but I'd drink there if you have them.

05-24-2010 01:06:19 | More by maximum12
turbotype

2.94/5  rDev -30.3%

Worst bottle of beer I've had from Stone, but I think I say that for personal reasons. I'm sure it's great to someone, but not to me. It looked really nice. finger and a half head. some lacing. Smelled kind of foul. It had the typical hops aroma, but it smelled burnt. Literally like a burnt piece of pine wood. It tasted like it smelled, literally. I dumped the second half out. Perhaps I had a bad bottle, that's why I didn't mark it any lower than I did. Scared to try again though. I will stick with Ruination as my Stone brew of choice >.>

11-07-2013 06:04:26 | More by turbotype
MicroBeerMan1980

2.98/5  rDev -29.4%

At first glance this beer seems very inviting. It has interesting aromas, a lovely dark color, good head retention, etc. Just what a porter or stout should look like. Then, I tasted it.

First the nose. Dry, rich, malty and the floral notes of the dry hoping coming through. Seems interesting.

The first flavors I noticed were the Amarillo hops, which I like. Floral, citrusy, yet mild. Not necessarily for a beer like this. Then I was blasted with the overly piney taste of the Simcoe hops. Normally, I love Simcoe hops. IN AN IPA, or something of that sort! Meanwhile, as I'm fighting my way past the spruce tree that just entered my mouth, I start to notice thick rich chocolate malts breaking through. Wow! Pine, Citrus and chocolate malts.

As for the mouth feel, it seemed okay, but I was to busy trying to process why a brewer would combine citrus+pine+chocolate.

Definitely not one of the better Stone beers I've enjoyed.

08-02-2010 04:39:12 | More by MicroBeerMan1980
elvisnj

2.98/5  rDev -29.4%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a duvel chalice.

Pours dark almost pitch black with little brown head. Very pretty.

Recedes to a ring that sticks throughout. Lots lacing is left behind.

Nose is huge hops. I pick up all kinds. They are strong as hell but the floral hops smell pretty good.

Taste is just as expected by the nose. Lots of herbal, grassy, piney, resinous hops.

I am not a hop head and this was over the top hops for me. It hurts to drink it. I got so lost in the hops I could not find the malts for salvation.

The body was medium and it could have used some more carbonation.

It was hard to finish. And the herbal hops kept repeating on me for the rest of the night. I have loved most of the beers from Stone but this one was the first one I actually disliked. Almost a drain pour.

Better luck next time.

05-24-2010 01:53:33 | More by elvisnj
OldRickSputin

2.99/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Nice smell. The bottle cap has more aroma than some glasses full of other beers!

Maybe I'm just not a fan of this style but the the aftertaste of this beer is too acidic and lingering. Everything else seems fine but the taste gets worse as it lingers around.

I have no desire to drink another bottle.

This was very close to being a drain pour as I was in the mood for something more substantial.

Again, maybe this just isn't my preferred type of beer.

03-29-2014 02:39:50 | More by OldRickSputin
Zonian1

10-19-2012 03:10:17 | More by Zonian1
ohiobeer29

04-01-2014 19:20:53 | More by ohiobeer29
timjim1327

08-14-2013 02:35:22 | More by timjim1327
Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.