Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros

2.55/5  rDev -39.6%

A: Poured into a tulip glass. Pours a dark black with a minimal head. The head dissipated immediately.

S: Dark fruits, figs, slight chocolate and musty overtones. Some hop notes too.

T: Smoke, and some fruits. Astringent after taste that is not pleasant.

M: Smooth but with a bit of a carbonated edge to it.

I am pretty surprised by this one. I haven't had a lot of Black Ales, but I love Southern Tier Iniquity. The astringent aftertaste on this one makes it so I won't have another in the future.

2.56/5  rDev -39.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a midnight black color with brown hues throughout. A soft brown head with limited retention but some lacing.

Hop forward in the aroma. Some pine and citrus notes. Some herbal and bit of cat pee. Some yeasty notes, esters, rose peddles and tropical fruits and a light fig. Some buytic notes, dirty feet.

The taste follows suit per the aroma. The hops come out at first and leave a balance taste. Mostly a pine earthy almost woody note. But a strong bitterness and astringency mute the finish. Again some off yeasty notes are a bit deterrent. Fruity esters and herbal floral. Some tar like tastes that were off setting and noticeable dirty feet finish. So much so I felt this was a drain poor.

The body was moderately light. Some drying finish and ashy. astringent finishes. Carbonation was light. Overall good hop presence but because of the off yeast notes I couldn't finish it.

2.56/5  rDev -39.3%

2.6/5  rDev -38.4%

2.63/5  rDev -37.7%

Split with airohead2001

A: Dark brown with a 3 finger tan colored head that has excellent retention and lacing.

S: There's a lot of hoppy bitterness on the nose mixed with a little bit of smokiness.

T: I'm not a big fan of the taste here. There's a lot of bitterness, and not the normal kind of pleasant bitterness that accompanies a good IPA, but rather a sort of rancid sort of staleness. There's some coffee and smokiness also, but not much else.

M: Well, there's a nice level of carbonation, but an unpleasant aftertaste. The viscosity is about what I'd expect.

D: I don't think I would drink this again unless it were already inebriated and it were handed to me for free.

2.7/5  rDev -36%

Glass: Oversized wine glass.

Appearance: Motor oil black, thick frothy mocha colored head and a really nice lacing down the side of the glass.

Aroma: Hoppy with a slight molasses, I was also getting a sweet bready aroma.

Taste: Strong hop flavor at first, a slight hay flavor was detected in quite a few sips and a bitter finish. It didn't seem to have much more than hops going for it.

Mouthfeel: Light body, thin texture with a bitter finish.

This was pretty disappointing. I'm a huge fan of Stone but this ale really didn't do anything for me. However while the taste left a lot to be desired the aroma was phenomenal.

2.76/5  rDev -34.6%

2.8/5  rDev -33.6%

Poured vigorously into a large tulip. XI has a large khaki head that sits upon a brown opaque body of liquid. Chocolate and the signature Stone aroma wafts into the air. Smells like a vintage Double Bastard with a dark malt presence.

Flavor is extremely mellow. Hops are pretty much absent from flavor but causes a slight bitterness at the back of the palate, leaving an astringent finish. Age has tamed this beer completely. Slight burnt sugar and sweetness. I never had this fresh but if the recipe is exactly the same as Sublimely Self Righteous Ale then this is just a rusted hollow shell of it's former self.

I had an 8 or 10 month old SSR (first batch) and that seemed to be the proper amount of time if you want to age it. Dark malts had a stronger presence and the hops have only partially faded enough to be in perfect balance.

This beer is still drinkable. Alcohol is more prevalent since the beer is so unpronounced now. Carbonation is lively, I could tell immediately from the loud hiss as I opened the bottle. Definitely past its prime though.

2.83/5  rDev -32.9%

Appearance is a nice near black colour with a thick creamy looking tan head that has decent retention time and leaves a good amount of residue on the glass.

The aroma is a great blend of pine and fruit hops, caramel and chocolate malt, with perhaps a touch of coffee as well. It's sweeter than it is rugged, and hoppier than malty. Just really nice overall.

Flavour is a blend of dirty, oily hops, with some pine and fruit coming through again (the latter a bit more so than the former). Definitely some roasted malt in the mix here too. There's a bit of alcohol harshness that mixes with the bitterness from the hops at the finish of each sip as well. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, slick and oily, with a bit of hotness to it.

Aside from a nice look and a very nice aroma, I unfortunately was not a fan of this brew. It's the first Stone beer that I can recall not liking. I just felt the flavours didn't mesh well at all. The numbers will show this one as a positive recommendation, but I can't say that I can recommend this one. It's interesting for sure and has a good amount of flavour, but there's just something about this one that I didn't like. A disappointment for sure.

2.88/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to gford217 for this bottle, one of two remaining survivors from an epic SS08. The final one, one of my prizes, is in the fridge & will be going down soon, too.

After four days of crappy beer in Lisbon, I really didn't need a beer to top of the jet lag tonight, but hell, I need to recall what real beer tastes like (though that port wine is really good!). This pours dark, with a foul flickering, deep red running the corners. Smells...oxidized. Oh oh.

And it is. Stone XI hasn't aged well to my palate, although my wife is quite enjoying it, so I know it's not the bottle that's gone bad. There are chimes underneath; fallen figs, heavy sherry, coffee and cream, roast. Hops are faded, but the grapefruit arrives fashionably late. As the beer warms a bit, I warm to it a bit, too. Maybe just a bit. Still lively after all this time.

Well, I now wish I'd consumed this a year ago, but based on the reviews it seemed to be still blazing strong. Decent enough beer, but I'd drink there if you have them.

2.94/5  rDev -30.3%

Worst bottle of beer I've had from Stone, but I think I say that for personal reasons. I'm sure it's great to someone, but not to me. It looked really nice. finger and a half head. some lacing. Smelled kind of foul. It had the typical hops aroma, but it smelled burnt. Literally like a burnt piece of pine wood. It tasted like it smelled, literally. I dumped the second half out. Perhaps I had a bad bottle, that's why I didn't mark it any lower than I did. Scared to try again though. I will stick with Ruination as my Stone brew of choice >.>

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.