1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007)
Ratings: 4,605 | Reviews: 1,801 | Show All Ratings:
franksnbeans

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

I think it’s hilarious what name recognition does. I tried a VERY similar beer last week called BarrelHouse Boss Cox Double Dark IPA and all the reviews are substantially lower than here. Pours a very dark ruby, almost black with a couple fingers of lacy tan head that stays well. Smells of grassy hops and a little malt. Tastes malty with bitter almost pineapple hops with a different hop profile that I’m now realizing is particular to this style. Medium in the mouth with good carbonation. Took a little time to finish. The better of the two Dark IPAs that I’ve tried. Though it’s not a bad style, I still prefer is predecessor.

10-05-2007 00:25:20 | More by franksnbeans
merlin48

Kentucky

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Dark brown body sits opaque in the glass with a large beige head that stays for the duration. Globs of sticky lace adhere to the glass.

Aroma of pine and grapefruit hops is graced by hints of dark chocolate and dark roasty malts.

Mouthfeel is light medium to medium in body with aggressive carbonation and a mild hops bite.

Taste is mostly about the hops, pine and citrusy grapefruit, but the dark roasted malts add some dark chocolate and coffee hints. I also detect a trace of anise underneath. Alcohol is cleverly concealed. A sharp, but pleasant, bitterness emerges as it warms to room temperature and seems to be both from the hops and dark malts. Very tasty.

Sone should just call this a black IPA and brew it on a regular basis. Not unlike Cincinnati's Barrel House Boss Cox Double IPA, but with Stone's signature hops array.

10-04-2007 13:02:49 | More by merlin48
Pooba001

Arizona

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

From the color of this beer I would guess it was a robust porter or even a lower viscosity stout. From the aroma I'd guess its an big IPA or barleywine. Floral, citrus, and pine aromas dominate with toasty dark malts making a cameo appearance. Good beige head without a terribly aggressive pour, and the head persists quite well.

Taste is very IPA like, and reflects the elements of the aroma. Good bitterness, floral and piney hops with a hint of roasty bite and a sharp finish. Appearance aside, this is a tasty IPA.

Mouthfeel is good, despite a little dryness. Drinkability is above average, especially for a beer closing on 9% ABV. I'm a fan of this, its in the vein of Rogue's JLS #17 Brewer, perhaps not quite as well done, but tasty none the less. Makes me want to brew a porter and throw a bucket of hops into it!

10-04-2007 09:36:24 | More by Pooba001
bunnyhustle

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from bomber with much anticipation. One of the first "limited release" beers I've been able to find. Pours virtually black, some ruby hints with light, and a 1 finger tan head. Long lasting layer of head and nice lace trails left behind. Smell is strong of spruce, pine, and hops (cascade?). Taste is virutally the same. Strong hop notes up from with a bit of pine, notes of roasted grain as well and a hint of caramel, just a hint. Bitter aftertaste but smooth going down, light and crisp. A terrific beer!

10-04-2007 03:09:39 | More by bunnyhustle
pwoods

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

22oz Bomber obtained at The Comet during their Stone's 11th anny pint night.

A: Pours a deep black with some red hues showing on the sides. Not what I excepted... everyone said this was a IPA/DIPA and I've never seen one black before. 1 1/2 fingers of cream colored head. Head settles into a 1finger pillow and laces most of the glass.

S: Huge hops up front. Getting citrus from them but I can't identify it. Plenty of sweet and toasty malted aroma to balance it out. Very interesting.

T/M: The first sip is a struggle between bitter hops and toasty malts. Even from the smell, I never expected the malts to contend with the hops this much... and it's not a bad thing at all. Hops do eventually take over in the finish and stay long after. I could definitely see some people not likely how strong of an aftertaste this leaves.... sucks for them. Full bodied and medium carbonation.

D: It drinks pretty heavy but just tastes so damn good. I'll be picking up more of this every chance I get.

10-04-2007 01:45:34 | More by pwoods
bobhits

Kentucky

3.88/5  rDev -8.1%

So I've been practically stalking the local liquor stores waiting for this beer. I put it mildly I expect perfection and well stone almost can't win me with this one, but we'll give it a shot.

OK first thing is I opened this before it was cold enough so I'm a bit unsure.

Appearance. It's a black IPA. I mean...what more do you expect? It does create an amazing head. Almost too much and it takes it's time falling down.

Smell. As I opened the bottle it INSTANTLY hit me with the smell of hops. I've never had anything with a smell this strong. This defiantly has that grape fruit hop smell which is something I am not a huge fan of. I love hops but I don't care what ever type causes this. I'm already disappointed.

Taste. This beer has me really wondering if maybe the double IPA's have had in the past were just old or something. This is the first time I got a CLEAR feel and taste of the "oily" aspect of hops. In the past I often considered that a result of the malt or the thickness of the beer but this one really show cases it. The first impression was a blend of hops mostly creating that grapefruit flavor but with just barely enough malt backing to cover it up to make it enjoyable for me. For the most part at first I'm pretty much overwhelmed by hops and not much else. After sipping a bit longer I'm starting to find a different flavor coming out in the back ground. It's got a nice smooth base like effect that neutralizes the hops to some degree (almost a stout like flavor but that could just be the black color making me want to think that's what it is). It's definitely growing on me as I drink it but it's definitely not one of my favorite double IPA's if this is even a double. I'll definitely have to set one or two of these back and see if something fun happens to this with age.

Mouthful. Sticky, creamy, smooth. Very nice

Drinkablity. Cold you could probably throw this down with the best of them. Warm and it's a great sipper. They have a nearly perfect mix of the two. Very well done.

This is definately a differnt kind of beer from stone and for that I give them my praise. It's really not my style of an IPA but I can't hold that against them too much.

10-03-2007 22:04:15 | More by bobhits
aforbes10

Iowa

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

I don't drink a lot of Stone these days...at first i went through their offerings eagerly, enjoying the hops and aggressive flavors. But lately, its been a bit of an afterthought brewery for me...no real reason why, it's just gotten lost in the shuffle. So its nice to have a reason to go back, and an anniversary beer is a good reason (esp. since we missed out on stone's 10th here in South Bend). Pours very dark, black with hints of red. Rocky head settles in the glass to a whipped look. Knowing it's an IPA and seeing that its black like this kind of gives me the willies. Odor is all hops. Fresh and aggressive U.S. hops with definite grapefruit and grass character. Smells awesome. Taste is more of the same...a hop bomb riding on a thick sticky malt backbone. Bitterness trends towards the extreme. Finish leaves me with grapefruit pucker and sticky malt on my lips.
So its another big beer from Stone. The color is what makes it different, more than anything else. Might buy one more to cellar so i can see what lies beneath the hops, but only if i happen to encounter it in a store again before it gone.

10-03-2007 15:36:13 | More by aforbes10
bradford

4.22/5  rDev 0%

Bottle purchased at Hi-Time Wine Cellars in Costa Mesa
Looked very good. Poured a dark ruby red/brown out of the bottle
Inside the glass it looked black as night with no light passing through
Smelled spicy, fruity, and extremely hoppy
Tasted very very good. Lots of Cascade, Chinook, or something that graces most Stone's hoppier offerings
Mouthfeel was good. Very thick, yet smooth with a delightfuly hoppy bite
Drinkability is good as is with most of Stone's beers. I think I might like this one more than the much acclaimed 10th Anniversary. Another winner from Stone and another I wish would be a year round offering. Highly recommended

10-03-2007 06:15:44 | More by bradford
JToad

Indiana

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%

So I picked up a bomber of XI, and IX tonight, trying the XI this evening, tomorrow I will do the IX.

I served in a tradition pint glass (moved, all I could find).

Apperance: A lot darker than I anticipated, being an IPA/ASA of sorts, I expected it to be a little lighter.

Smell: Hints of caramel, grapefruit.Hops smell beautiful, if a little understated.

Taste: Very bitter at first, yet smoothes out after a few sips. For as dark as it is, seems very light.

Mouthfeel: As I said above, very light, doesnt linger like most IPAs, or American Strong Ales. Very smoothe.

Drinkability: At first, I thought I would be dissapointed. But this beer gets better as you sip it, Almost half way done, and its real nice.. Very solid beer. Not dissapointed at all. Curious to try the 9th Anniversary tomorrow night, see how well its aged. Stone continues to never let me down..

10-03-2007 01:57:50 | More by JToad
GClarkage

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

9/23/07- Purchased at Dart Liquors in Stateline, NV.

Presentation- 22oz bottle, September '07 release. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Not quite as pitch black as the label memo says, but still pretty darn dark. Nice 3/4 inch fluffy head upon the pour which settles at a slight off white rim. Leaves behind very sticky patchwork lacing.

Smell- Scents of dark and roasted caramel malt. Pretty intense chocolate notes as well. And it wouldn't be Stone if it didn't have a nice bitter tear your nose hairs out hop aroma.

Taste- Hmmm, combo of a bunch of flavors. Coming up with a schwatzbier-ipa combo. Has a nice dark chocolate-caramel mixed flavor which is combined with a fresh grapefruit hop taste. Maybe even a slight note of coffee beans as well. Very interesting combo. I like it.

Mouthfeel- A bit in the higher carbonation range, but has a nice thicker and viscous dark malt and bitter aftertaste.

Drinkability- Pretty sweet to be a session brew, in fact one bomber was almost a bit too much, but I wouldn't turn down a pint if offered. Another quality and interesting style brew released by Stone.

10-02-2007 19:13:48 | More by GClarkage
chefboy812

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

A love child of a Stout and an IPA?!?!

Stone has done it again, taking an extreme and making it extreme(er?).

Upon opening the bomber, befor I even poured it into the glass, the aroma hits you and gets your mouth watering.

It pours chestnut brown with a mild storm that builds a light caramel head that rises to a finger or so then starts to fall and holds to a lacey ring.
I was impressed by the balanced battle of grainy roasty aroma with hints of coffee and molassas with the hops spicey piney strength.

My first sip dissappointed me with a lack of vicosity that my mind was preparing for. but that dissappointment was quickly slapped out of my head by the intence continuation of the aromatic battle for the nose.

usually(to me) flavors come in and fade out with different highlights throuout the taste and the glass. But this; everything is there the whole time, the malt, the hops pushing against each other for pallete dominance. neither gaining advantage over the other, until the very end. long after the sip is swallowed, the hops fade out leaving a satifying roasty bite that lingers until the next sip.

All in all agreat beer, but it is a thinker.

10-02-2007 16:07:09 | More by chefboy812
GPHarris

Alabama

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

a - poured a three-fingers thick creamy and dense coffee-colored head into a snifter that left thick sheeting and lace with nice coating on the sides of the glass. the body was dark black and impossible to see through.
s - pine, muted citrus tones, with a light chocolate malt underneath that really comes through as it warms.
t - dry and citrusy hops at the beginning with a sweet coffee and chocolatey finish. with each sip you get the hops on the front of the tongue and a roasted malty taste on the back.
m - creamy and smooth.
d - considering stone's big hop presence this just begs to be quaffed. easily drinkable and really goes down smooth.

10-02-2007 14:56:13 | More by GPHarris
EStreet20

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

22 ounce bottle poured into a snifter glass.

A - Nearly pitch black brew with two full fingers of tan head sits in the snifter. Nice lacing rings are left behind.

S - Great citrus aromas with some grapefruit/orangey aroma floating around. Some tea like aroma is there too.

T -Wow, some bitterness and alcohol meld with the fruit and lead the way over some dark malt flavors. A little bit of chocolate flavor makes a nice, albeit brief appearance. Alcohol is definitely evident into the finish over those fruity tastes. Very interesting.

M - Nice medium/slightly heavy body with just the right carbonation for this unique brew.

D - So one of a kind. I'm loving it and I want more after every sip.

Notes: India Dark Ale???? The bottle states that the brewers kept everybody "in the dark with this IPA" and it really is like a hybrid of a few possible dark beer styles and an IPA. I guess Strong Ale is the only classification that makes sense but this beer has many characteristics of a barleywine, IPA, and even some stout and/or porter like traits. I guarantee some will love this and some will hate it, but everyone who appreciates craft beer should try it. Me, I'm a fan. I'll have to grab some more.

10-02-2007 01:34:58 | More by EStreet20
dnichols

Washington

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I poured a 750 ml capped bottle into a tulip.

A: It poured deep dark brown with a robust cameral head of nearly three fingers. The head was sticky and consisted of diverse sized bubbles that as they dissipated left a thick lacing down the side of the glass.

S: It has an underlying toasted, almost burnt, malt aroma that is hidden by an in your face hop aroma that is complemented by citrus notes.

T: This beer’s flavor is faithful to its aroma. The bitterness of the hops leaves a piney taste in you mouth. There is a slightly sweet malt flavor as well as a bit of sourness added by the citrus flavor.

M: It has a medium to full body with an aggressive hop bit that leaves a piney aftertaste. The alcohol leaves a dry tongue.

D: This is a one and out beer for me. However, I liked what I had. The burnt malt and hops are well balanced making this an entertaining brew. However, as with most hop heavy beers I am limited to one bottle (albeit a 750 ml bottle) per session.

Comment: I am not a hop head. This is a bit heavily hopped for me. However, I still enjoyed it. I think the bitter sweet malts and citrus flavors balance the hops pretty well.

10-02-2007 00:21:38 | More by dnichols
doppelmeup

Rich, inky black pour with little light shining through. A moderate off-white head with a fair amount of lacing. Looks like black beer.

Aromas of grapefruit, pine. No doubt about it, this is an IPA! Hops are not overpowering, but are blended nicely.

As I drink this, if I close my eyes I swear I'm drinking an IPA, but when I look at the beer, my brain says no way. Very interesting brew. I like it.

A very clean finish. This is a smooth beer. The ABV is very well hidden.

Overall, a very drinkable and unique beer.

10-01-2007 23:24:54 | More by doppelmeup
djwilson

3.73/5  rDev -11.6%

The color is dark, black with some red highlights coming through in the light. Poured into thick short pilsner glass. Nice thick head almost caramel color, disipated to a light foam across the top with some nice lacing.

Smell was hops upfront with a slight lightly roasted coffee aroma.

First sip and I get hops up front, and a light malty finish that masks the high alcohol content.

Drinkability was fine but too malty for me to keep drinking all night. 2 would be my limit, then try to find more Stone 10.

Overall excellent beer, VERY unique, I love that Stone always seems to suprise for their aniversary beer.

10-01-2007 22:59:55 | More by djwilson
Foxman

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

It pours a dense, inky, stout-esque dark brown, impassable but for a blade of ruby at the very bottom. Two fingers of khaki head melt gradually to a velvety quilt of froth. Tapestries of lacing blanket the inside of the glass.

In the aroma, there's a murky mist of roasted malt, with caramel, brown sugar, and raisin. A whiff of biscuit falls before a happy onslaught of grapefruit and pine. A surprisingly temperate breeze of alcohol crisps things even further.

Upon sipping, the malt is briefly sweet before a light bitter char speaks of deep roast, and blueberry and currants come through crisply. The hops dash in on a valiant gallop of dry grapefruit, resiny pine, and poignant bitterness. The alcohol is hotter here, but far from scalding. A slight blanch of residual sweetness and biscuit is crisped, dried, and bittered in the finish. The full flavor profile almost sneaks up on you, because it takes a moment or so for the complexity and blending to ring out.

Full bodied, the malt is slick and treacly, and the peppery hop glow is assertive and pert.

As big as it is, much of the flavor, and the malt especially, is rounded and subtle, which is a testament to a fine blend of quality ingredients. It's a hoppy bastard but comfortably over-the-top, Stone-style. The punchy ABV is incorporated, and it warms agreeably, making the beer drinkable and fun, but also a touch dangerous. So, happy Anniversary, and thanks for letting me in on the celebration. And I'll revisit this one at six months and a year courtesy of my cellar.

10-01-2007 21:48:48 | More by Foxman
mrasskicktastic

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

This bottle is consumed (without hesitation of course) in honor of Michael Jackson.

A - Black (dark brown) brew with a large head that dissipates leaving thick intricate lacing all down the sides of the glass. The inital head had the same cascade effect as guinness. Quite attractive.

S - Faint caramel, chocolate and black patent under a viscous onslaught of hops. A very spicy, white pepper dominates with a more subtle pine and lily aroma.

T - The dark flavors are subdued, but there is a detectable flavor of black patent and even a touch of cocoa. But the real flavors are in the hops, the hop assault is peppery with a hint of pine. Aftertaste is a potent bitterness that leaves you craving another sip. Very nice.

M - Smooth, medium bodied, very refreshing in spite of the harshness from the hops.

D - Wow! The abv is felt quickly. Distribution of this beer is wide, but, hell, I might pick up a few of these as trade bait for the future. I suppose the claim that it is not a stout and not a porter, but a black IPA is warranted. It is basically to a porter what an IPA is to an ESB. So really, it is a black IPA. I am guesing more breweries will produce one of these soon.

10-01-2007 02:09:09 | More by mrasskicktastic
sirk0rebreg

Nevada

4.9/5  rDev +16.1%

you can describe this beer with one word...WOW! i just finished drinking a bomber out of a stone IPA glass and i can say i was stunned with this beer...

pours a dark brown almost black...great smell of grapefruit, slightly piney...nice tan head that holds really well...the taste is excellent, great hop presence but it is very well balanced...the 8.7% abv is hidden quite well, it can sneak up on you...

i gave this beer all 5's except for drinkability which got a 4.5, only reason is it seems to sneak up on you and could be dangerous...this beer is awesome, get it while you can...

i grabbed a half a case and i am kicking myself for not grabbing a full case...i will definitely be back at the store very soon to pick up a full case, this is too good...

10-01-2007 00:55:00 | More by sirk0rebreg
boulevard2

4.55/5  rDev +7.8%

22 oz bottle 9/29/07

Pours a dark thick head with heavy retention almost looks like a stout. Intense aroma of exotic fruits and spice. Hops are tantalizing every sip with smooth well rounded flavour. This beer reminds me of Hop Rod Rye but with a little more kick. I recommend you pick up a couple of these , one to sample and the other to enjoy down the road a bit. Once again Stone puts out another doozy for us to admire and crave for the next offering.

09-30-2007 16:21:14 | More by boulevard2
PhxHorn

Arizona

4.22/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. The first beer enjoyed with my wife on our new patio, and it was worthy. Very dark brown in appearance, with very little head. The smell wasn't overpowering, but was of citrus and maybe some licorice or grapes in there.

Tasted like a Stone IPA with some chocolate, grape, and a bit of licorice. A little bit sweet, too--tremendous flavor. I could drink this all night.

09-30-2007 05:43:54 | More by PhxHorn
warmstorage

3.63/5  rDev -14%

22 ounce bomber, $5.69 at Brown Jug Warehouse store in Anchorage, AK.

Appearance: deep brownish, like a porter. Leaves significant light-brown lace. Creamy thick dense head.

Aroma: Hops and pine and brown sugar and burnt sugar.

Taste: Wood and sugar and hops and pine and leather and roast. Lots and lots going on here. Hints of dark Belgian ale. (Reminds me a lot of a dark strong Belgian ale style.) Hints of citrus. Hints of earth. Hints of rubber. Lots of hints, few direct statements.

Mouth: Thick and slick, tingly spicy with mark to hot alcohol that lingers.

Overall: Decent, drinkable, even good. But extraordinary? No. I'm sure that Stone devotees will disagree with me, but this just isn't that great (especially after the truly fantastic Stone X.) There is just too much going on in it to pin anything down.

4/5/2008: bomber was $5.19 at Safeway liquor on Mill Bay Road, Kodiak, AK. Bottle states September 2007. Same same. Meh, even. No rating numbers changed.

09-30-2007 04:40:33 | More by warmstorage
MmmIPA

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

My first time trying a Stone limited beer like the anniv. beer.Poured into a Chimay chalice.

Black opaque body with a small tan head that fells pretty fast to a ring.Small patches of lacing left on the glass.

Straight mo fo pine in this nose.Its that resiny pine too.

Piney,black fruity taste.Then some malt goodness hits ya but not like these hops.Thats for sure.

Mouthfeel is really nice and cant complain about this one.Nothing really wrong with it.Creamy head.

This is a good beer.Im glad I got to try it.Stone outdid themselves with this one.They need to redo this beer under a different name and make it a year long beer.

09-30-2007 01:30:53 | More by MmmIPA
bosco7

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours nearly pitch black. Has nice cream like head that lasts.

Big bubble gum and artificial peach aromas (think sugar free peach jelly candy). Some pepper, citrus, and brown sugar in the nose.

Much like Arrogant Bastard there is a lot going on here. Hop flavors muscle up against dark fruity flavors. I am picking up lots of pine, plum, peach, grapefruit rind, bubble gum, tobacco, strawberry and some vanilla.

Smooth and silky mouthfeel with some oiliness. I like this beer, but I prefer Arrogant Bastards hop character. Still very nice and highly recommended.

09-30-2007 01:06:48 | More by bosco7
cswhitehorse

Oregon

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

The 11th Anniversary comes in the typical dark bottle with a gargoyle delivering the brew with no freshness date. It pours a lovely black hue with a huge billowy foam head that lasts and lasts. After drinking the 22oz I was wishing for the pillow of foam to lay my head down.

The aromas from the ipa/porter/stout is a strong pine tree smell. It has a hoppy ipa flavor with a malty overtone and an alcoholic taste. The mouthfeel leaves the hoppiness on the tip of your tongue with a thin body the eels down your throat. I found this to be a money beer of this broad style.

09-30-2007 00:11:04 | More by cswhitehorse
Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.