Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros
BrewCrew2010

Mississippi

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Pours a black body with a rocky cream-color head. Leaves great lacing.

S: Thick hoppy aroma with notes of pine & grapefruit.

T: Roasted chocolate malts and caramel sweetness upfront followed by bitter and floral hops. Smooth & nicely balanced.

M: Sticky resin mouthfeel, medium carbonation, medium-full body.

O: Great beer. Easy to drink! Definitely for CDA lovers!

04-01-2011 21:13:08 | More by BrewCrew2010
jjjeremy

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured into wheat beer glass
Appearance-Black,fast pour led to three inch head that lasted forever with nice lacing
Smell-Heavy graipfruit/amongst other citrus aromas
Taste-Not nearly as pungent as the smell led me to think it would taste,of course a bit of grapefruit but more of the pith of an orange taste,mellow malt,slight candy taste.Bitter cherries,simple coffee,really quite complex
Mouthfeel-Very enjoyable,does not over stay its welcome
Overall-LOVE IT!!!Its brand new to st cloud,mn and getting a good positive reaction!!!

04-01-2011 20:54:07 | More by jjjeremy
claspada

3.03/5  rDev -28.2%

Aromas of strong piney hops and roasted malts with hints of caramels and toffee, however the hops dominate the nose.
The tastes begin with full flavored maltiness with flavors of burnt brown sugar, light coffee/toffee and caramel maltiness but the hops creep in and steal the show to this beer's detriment. The intense hops flavors of pine and grapefruit are just not melding with the dark malts. I do not enjoy the roast mixed with pine.
Overall the stickiness and resiny qualities dominate the mouthfeel and linger far too long for such a dark beer. I have had good, bad and average Black Ales. Unfortunately this is in the bad dept because the hops are just too dominating.

04-01-2011 15:55:53 | More by claspada
tigg924

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured into a pint glass at Avenue pub, New Orleans

Appearance: 1/2 inch head, black in color, opaque

Smell: caramel and pine hops

Taste: big pine hops, charred malt, and a bit of cream

Mouthfeel: medium carbonation, medium body, sweet with a bitter aftertaste

Drinkability: I could have a couple over a long night. I like the nice deep charred malt and pine--my favorite ipa flavor. One of the better in style, yet I think I would reach for others in style first.

04-01-2011 14:58:10 | More by tigg924
Krakistophales

A: Pours a very dark brown, minimum carbonation and just a slight lacing around the glass with no persistent carbonation.

S: A mix of piney hops and caramel malt, a touch of toffee, though the hops dominate in the nose.

T: A nice malt and caramel middle with a strong hoppy aftertaste, which is reverse to the usual order of hops/malts. The aftertaste is a lingering of powerful, mighty hops, and the whole thing feels like drinking a hopsicle with some malt sauce.

M: Slight carbonation with a sticky, resiny mouthfeel, but goes down smoothly

O: This is an awesome beer. A powerful hopsicle that offers just a brief respite in a caramel, toffee, malt middle and only continues along the road to palate ruination a la hops.

04-01-2011 04:57:32 | More by Krakistophales
CuttDeez

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

A - A very dark brown in the light almost black when sitting on the table with a kahki tan head.
S - Great malt pressence in the nose. There is som notes of citrusy hop but the roasted notes and chocolate and caramel are more prevelant.
T & M - A carmalized sugar malty taste up from. Dark Chocolate is there as well. There are also notes of citrus hiding in there as well that balance it out and make the beer more complex.
O - I enjoy this beer a lot. The look of the beer gets a certain taste and smell in your mind. That is challenged as the hop and grapfruit and citrus come out in both nose and mouth of this beer.

-Cheers

03-30-2011 23:47:00 | More by CuttDeez
Buebie

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

Picked up the bomber for roughly $5.

Off a semi rigeous pour i get a large 3 inch off white head. Super thick and frothy. Very slow to recede, leaving thick full coverage lace.
Color is black with no light penetration.
Aroma is soo delicious and desirable. Ample supply of hops. Dank weed, citrus notes, and orange peel along with pine and grapefruit.
Mouthfeel is slick and creamy with modest carbonation.
Taste is so well balanced. Plenty of floral hop kick as well as malt bitters.
The darkness of the brew is not as perceptive in taste but does supply some bitterness and roasty character.
bitterness grain flavors really linger after the swallow along with more earthy spiced bittering hops.

Terrific brew.

03-30-2011 23:04:55 | More by Buebie
garymuchow

3.68/5  rDev -12.8%

Sample #2 from the recently purchased in MN Stone beers.
Begins with a fresh hop fragrance the grows in citrus to tart and sour and full on grapefruit. Slight oily quality as well. Hard to pick up the malt character but more hints of roast.
Black body that show red highlights in the light (also clear). Dark head that settles slowly without ever completely leaving.
At first a nice malt character with a sweetness up front with roast and the roast reappearing at the finish with a dryness. But in time the malt flavors get overwhelmed by the hop flavors and especially the hop bitterness. Seems like lots and lots of cascade with a full-n grapefruit flavor. Bitterness is extended in the long finish. There are other hop flavors intermixed but too often over powered. At a couple of points a mild alcohol taste appeared.
Smooth carbonation with a moderate body.
Boy there are some nice flavors here, but my palate was overwhelmed too often.
Beergoggles noted regarding the text on the bottle, "blah, blah, blah get on with it".

03-30-2011 19:24:44 | More by garymuchow
Tballz420

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Black ale. Off the top of my head i can't think of too many of these.

The brews pretty "clear" in that theres lots of hues that can come through, but its a black body. Big tan head still all over the place. A bit of malt on the scent, but its dominated by a massive hop profile. As Alvey at Four Firkins said when he described it, the beer will mess with your head. Its a hop bomb, but it looks like a malt monster. There are nice sweet malts, but the hop oil is what this is about. Much thinner bodied than a stout/porter. Cool beer, very interesting.

03-30-2011 18:49:48 | More by Tballz420
WYVYRN527

4.4/5  rDev +4.3%

Finally! I can get my hands on some of this in my home state. 22 ounce bottle, poured into a tulip glass.

A: Black in color with little light shining through. Head is an inch thick, light tan, and is showing no sign of disappearing. Lacing is sticky, and dries on the glass with artistic form.

S: Somewhat faint, but piney, resinous hop aromas are dominant with just a bot of roasted character in the backround.

T: This brew's got it all! Roasty malt notes, with some coffee and chocolate up front, along with a hint of dried dark fruit. Hops kick in with a blast of citrus, pine, and even a hint of clover. Finish is bitter, and long-lasting, but not overwhelming.

Notes: SSRA is a treat by any means. It's medium body and robust flavor, along with a creamy mouthfeel make it a beer that is not only very tasty, but extremely fun to quaff. Well done! I will be buying this one many times over.

03-30-2011 04:32:38 | More by WYVYRN527
sholland119

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%

On cask at Varga Bar, 3/19/11.

A-Pours a deep dark brown, almost black, with a foamy cap of tan head. Great retention and good lacing.

S-Tons of piney hops, perhaps the most aromatic cask beer I have ever run across.

T-Rich roasted malt, tons of piney hops and a sold but controlled bitterness that really sets this beer apart.

M-Medium bodied, the bitterness, while restrained, does linger.

D-Excellent. A great black ale by any delivery mehod.

HV

03-29-2011 15:09:41 | More by sholland119
pdoran10

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours out a slightly translucent black color with two fingers of off white head that leave some pretty ridiculous lacing.

Smell is big pine and slight acidic alcohol.

Alcohol heat doesn't come through in the taste. I get pineapple, pine, and grapefruit from the hops, with a slight roast and a big biscuity body from the malt.

Mouthfeel is substantial with moderate carbonation. Well made here.

Really supreme beer. I don't even like this style but somehow they melded flavors so well here that I'm really diggin drinking this.

03-29-2011 05:06:20 | More by pdoran10
hardy008

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours dark black with raisin colored edges, and a large 3 finger head which has nice retention and lacing. The aroma has pineapple, pine and grapefruit. The fact that I do not smell much in the way of roasted or chocolate malt is surprising, but welcome.

The taste is just like the aroma. There is a little roasted malt, but not much. There is a lot of grapefruit, pine, and pineapple, which I like. All American Black Ales should be more like Sublimely Self-Righteous. Emphasize the hops, and lessen the malts. I love malt forward beers, but I would prefer that malts take a back seat in an American Black Ale.

Medium bodied with medium carbonation. The aftertaste is what I love about IPAs: grapefruit, pine, and pineapple. I really like this beer a lot, and this is the first American Black Ale that I have been a real big fan of. Way to go Stone, and welcome to Minnesota!!!

03-28-2011 23:00:40 | More by hardy008
burnheartsMKE

Wisconsin

4.83/5  rDev +14.5%

I just drank my last bottle of SSR and Stone has pulled out of the WI market. Needless to say, I bummed:

"Spending all my nights
All my money going out on the town
Doing anything just to get you off of my mind
But when the morning comes
I'm right back where I started again
Trying to forget you is just a waste of time

Baby come back, any kind of fool could see
There was something in everything about you
Baby come back, you can blame it all on me
I was wrong, and I just can't live without you"

Come on Stone, you left me just when we were getting good... Now I'm stuck drinking other black american ales and it just ain't right. You are sublimely self-righteous for thinking that you can tease me with such fine indulgences, then walk away as if nothing ever transpired between us. I miss you, your gorgeous head, your sexy black body, your juicy-fruit perfume and your deep, dark nastiness. How am I suppose to go on when I've already sampled the best? All others literally pale in comparison. I fell for you, after you, from you... and you just turn around and walk away from me.

My last bottle, savored.

JDizzle

Indiana

4.22/5  rDev 0%

Served from a Growler from Party Town in Florence, KY

The appearance is a deep dark, reddish old ale that doesn't let a lot of light through. The head is wonderful and thick with an off white color that hangs around for the whole glass. Lacing drags down the glass all the way.

The smell is of strong hops with a citrus backdrop and a little roasteg malt.

This beer taste like an DIPA with attitude that will keep you coming back for more. This is such a great beer that should be in 6'ers!! Think- dark DIPA!

This is very drikable beer that suprised me from the way it looks and catagorized.? One of my favorites from STONE. A slightly sweet Double IPA that lives up to the score.

03-24-2011 01:27:00 | More by JDizzle
StaveHooks

Oklahoma

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

A - Pours completly opaque even when held up to the light. A dense 2 finger tan head presents excellent retention and random patterns of lacing.

S - Resinous pine surrounded by grapefruit zest and sweet tropical fruit. Perfume-like alcohol vapors, hits of roasted dark malts and cocoa.

T - Oily piney hop juice all the way to the middle then instantly turns to aggressive grapefruit pith, tropical fruits, and mint. All the while the roasted, almost burnt malt holds on and adds some smoky sweetness. Bitter fruit and slightly sweet with burnt chocolate on the finish. Aftertaste seems different with every drink but grapefruit seems to dominate.

M - Full bodied, very rich and creamy, moderate carbonation hops coat the mouth with bitterness.

A multitude of hop flavors with good black malts behind it. This is on the edge of being unbalanced on the hops side but the malt comes through just enough.

03-24-2011 01:13:16 | More by StaveHooks
Prostman81

4.55/5  rDev +7.8%

What an experience. Stone seems to have pulled the qualities from multiple styles, and blended them into a very interesting and exotic brew. Drinking it sends the tastebuds into a frenzy as they try to determine which flavors are being experienced. There's too much for me to begin to describe, except that this is a wonderful creation, and a testament to the brewers at Stone and their mastery over malts and hops.

Any brewer can throw a crap ton of stuff into the mash tun or kettle, but to have made a beer where so many flavors marry together and still produce a very drinkable beer is impressive.

My only complaint is that this is a strong beer at 8.7%, and I can't drink much more than half a bomber before I need to switch to something else. Still is something I'd recommend anyone to try out.

03-23-2011 20:45:54 | More by Prostman81
keith712

4.6/5  rDev +9%

Appearance: Thick, very dark, gloriously rich looking. Deep, deep velvety red/mahogany around the edges, you won't see much light getting through this brew. Nice 1" head that settled fast to a 1/8" cap that stayed around with chunky lacing to the end of the glass. Beautiful.

Nose: Initial sweetness then the hops came in, definitely a bittersweet chocolate background which surprised me. Dare I say, it smells somewhat like...IPA...the hops are there.

Taste: Initial sweetness, mild chocolate again, followed by that hops come-on. Finishes dry and leaves that wonderful bitterness on the inner cheeks. Maybe a nutty/smokish background there, like faint chocolate covered nuts.

Mouth Feel: Initially I thought it was going to be thick and syrupy, but it felt thinner than appearance dicated. Nice background presence of the hops that stays, but still a smoooth experience. I can feel the claimed 8.7% ABV with a warming in the throat. Not objectionable.

Drinkability: Begs me to have another swallow. One 22oz is a nice sample size, and I don't want to share it! I could drink two of these, but I might need a ride home afther that.

Overall: Very nice! I liked it more than I expected to. 8.5 of 10. (edit: 9 out of 10..read below...)

EDIT: I started drinking this one too cold. It was a bit more bitter/hoppy than I expected. After warming it a solid 10-15 minutes in the glass, it became much smoother, the flavors really came alive with that chocolate/nutty background with a smooth but strong hops flavor I adore. At 45 minutes in, finishing the last third of the 22oz bomber, it was simply phenomenal. I changed my score above to a 9 based on this.

03-22-2011 02:54:12 | More by keith712
overfiend1976

Vermont

4.9/5  rDev +16.1%

Liquid amazement is what I would have to call this. Save for the aroma being a little on the burnt side, this black IPA is incredible. Smooth and thick, this beer brings an awful lot to the table. High on the bitters throughout the mouth-feel, its smoky, mellow aftertaste makes you completely forget that. This is definitely a beer that balances itself well. Out of all the 'newish' style of black IPA that I have had, this one is definitely the crown jewel. Congratulations Stone, for making another beer that I find to be so enjoyable.

03-21-2011 02:32:42 | More by overfiend1976
birderbeerer

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours from the bottle like a strong tea, results in a black beer. Three-finger latte head with near complete lacing.

Sticky, piney, pineapple, grapefruit hop aromas. Super sweet and lush smelling.

Hops and malt come through big together. Dry and sticky from the hops. The hops follow the aroma and the malts are a cocoa dusted almonds. Dark and dry malts combined fruity, sticky hops. Yum.

03-20-2011 23:21:01 | More by birderbeerer
oldsailor

Nevada

Extremely dark, smooth body and just enough head to make this a very good beer. At first try I was surprised by the hoppiness of the beer as it's not a taste I typically attribute to dark black beers. Quality of the ingredients definitely shows in this beer.

03-20-2011 03:24:08 | More by oldsailor
mrnobody

Ontario (Canada)

4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

22 oz. bomber poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours pretty much black with a finger of mocha head; dissipates but leaves some lacing.

S: I'm getting a strong hops smell here...just like sticking your face in a bag of hop pellets. This smells very fresh.

T: Very complex tasting: the fresh hops are definitely there but also licorice, dark fruit, coffee and chocolate.

M: Mouthfeel is on the full side of medium with a perfect level of carbonation that does not get in the way.

D: The alcohol is nowhere to be found. This is a great beer. I'm not sure that Black IPA works for me as a style but this transcends the style.

03-19-2011 02:03:58 | More by mrnobody
Stinkypuss

3.53/5  rDev -16.4%

Sublimely Self Righteous Ale pours a dark brownish amber. Off white head and lace stickage. Smells of piney hops, some malt, and earthy/woodsy elements. In the flavor, dry hoppiness and some light citrus and pine notes. Sweet caramel malt backing and some booziness. Nothing exciting, more raw and strong flavors. Overall, more of a strong ale than a black ale, would like a more pronounced roasted malt flavor and less booze. Nonetheless this is an ass kicker.

03-18-2011 05:02:29 | More by Stinkypuss
arkurzynski

Wisconsin

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Pours black with brown hues around the edges. Excellent fluffy brown-tan head that persists. Aroma is straight west coast hops - pine, resin, mild floral. Flavor is excellent - brief roasted malts, coffee, toffee, followed by that great bitterness. Both aspects are extremely smooth and meld together like a piece of art. I could drink this one all day long. Medium body, great mouth feel. Extensive hop and malt bitterness on the finish. Lacing up and down the glass. About as good as it gets!

03-16-2011 01:05:56 | More by arkurzynski
nova009

Kentucky

Poured from a bomber into a snifter

A- pours black with a slight red tint, half finger tan head disappears a lot more quickly than i would have liked, decent sticky lacing clings to the glass

S- citrus hops, bitter grapefruit notes, slightly piney notes too, slight roasted malt, the citrus really seems to dominate this

T- bitter hops attack the palate from the start, the taste is reminiscent of grapefruit rind, slight roasted malt flavor toward the end

M- medium body, smooth and coats the palate fairly nicely, pretty solid balance of carbonation, finishes slightly dry with some lingering bitterness

D- a solid black ale/ipa, i wish there had been a little more roastiness but its not a huge issue, all around well done

03-15-2011 23:25:29 | More by nova009
Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.