2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,630 | Reviews: 1,803 | Show All Ratings:
BigBrewStu

4.61/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

What a great beer! Dark, a really dark tan color--almost black. Fair carbonation. Coffee fan? You will love this bitter beer! Feels creamy in the mouth, goes down smooth, but has an unexpected bitter finish. This beer is overwhelming, and pretty much dominates your palette. Do not start with this first unless you only plan on drinking this all night, or plan to move up to something even more rich in flavor.

06-27-2013 02:17:29 | More by BigBrewStu
larryarms847

4.64/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Black in color and poured a frothy and delicious two finger head when poured from a 12oz btl.

Tastes of licorice, wood, licorice, and booze. No complaints here.

Perfect balance of hops and malts. Could not get this down my throat quick enough. Slight licorice bitterness, but the malts counteract it perfectly.

Mouthfeel is silky, rich, and boozy, a definite keeper.

Overall this is one of my favorite versions of a black IPA. Just Simply Great.

04-24-2014 22:37:20 | More by larryarms847
ksullnh

Alaska

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Tasted 10/29/07 with dfillius

Poured pitch black like a Coke, with a finger of milky-coffee-colored head. Delicious hops in the nose, lots of pine, with a bit of citrus that changed into a candied or dried pineapple smell as it warmed a bit.

Tasted of coffee in the front, but with sweet dark malty notes. The hop bitterness was a piney citrus flavor, a bit like the taste of white fir needles. A dry aftertaste, with slight bitterness and coffee flavors that reminded me of espresso.

The beer was quite smooth and easy drinkin' for a "Dark IPA" with the high ABV.

Excellent overall.

06-13-2008 00:45:54 | More by ksullnh
crazeguy

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured from a 22oz Bomber into a Pilsner Glass.

Dark jet black color, tiny amount of light penetrates this beast. Brown head.

Smell, tiny hint of pine and citrus. Malt smell is noticable.

Taste is pretty uniform. Like a lighter arrogant bastard that is better balanced with sweet and bitter. Could have more flavor though, but it also helps with the drinkability.

Mouthfeel is laced by a hop aftertaste that is pleasant.

Drinkability is outstanding. Could go bottle for bottle of this.

04-16-2009 09:16:35 | More by crazeguy
MichaelLynBryant

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours dark brown with a tan head. Aroma is roasted malt hidden behind hop bitterness. Roasty taste, with hop oils residual. Full, creamy mouthfeel similar to a dry stout. Bitter front end plows over the creaminess with each sip. Hint of alcohol warmth is good indicator for non-info'd drinkers.

On draft, this is one of my favorite beers. From a bottle, it continues to live up to its worth.

03-14-2011 01:21:37 | More by MichaelLynBryant
MikeM40

Connecticut

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a Duvel tulip. This brew pours a near black and creates a huge foamy light tan head that last forever and leaves tons of lacing. Aromas of bitter hops,pine and citrus fruits,particularly grapefruit greet the nose. First sip reveals a surprising roasted malt character that is nicely balanced by bitter hops. Also hints of bitter coffee,chocolate and more citrus. This beer has a very usual flavor profile but the flavors work together amazingly well. Mouthfeel and carbonation are medium and there is a definite creamy quality to this beer. The finish is long and quite bitter and any hint of alcohol taste has been completely masked. This is a very interesting brew which manages to blend flavors you would not think would go together,and does so very well. An interesting ale I would gladly enjoy again.

05-28-2011 16:34:30 | More by MikeM40
cr0ckett

4.22/5  rDev 0%

Bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Thick, dark, brown, almost black. Light tan head that leaves good lacing.
S: Surprisingly hoppy/piney; malt and toffee come through a little as it warms up.
T: Piney hops to begin then balanced out somewhat by sweeter malts and earthy tones; light chocolatey note in the finish. Some alcohol warmth, but not noticeable in the taste. Hop note left to coat tongue.
M: Medium to full body, slightly viscous, but not like a thick stout. Medium to high carbonation. Smooth drinker with a bit of a bite.
O: One of a handful of Black Ales that I've tried; very good. Seamless merging of hops, malt, and sweeter chocolate and caramel tones. A must try.

08-10-2011 01:10:39 | More by cr0ckett
zbellino

Louisiana

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

One of my all-time favorites, and really the perfect execution of this style.

A - Black with good brown depth that carries through the rich head. It laces like a sexy black boot sticking to the sides.

S - It gets on you really quick with a pine aroma and the smell of roasted malt goodness. I love that the hops leave a small citrus aroma in the nose.

T - The showstopper. Prettymuch delivers the same toasted goodness, arromatic juniper flavor, and citrus, but with very subtle cream hints.

M - It holds up well. It is a great balance between half and half and whole. It walks a tightrope well.

O - Can't say enough. Get this one if you (still) haven't had it.

10-11-2011 01:59:41 | More by zbellino
ajmitch4

Colorado

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This was another one that I drank on 12/23/13 after my phone died, so am doing this from memory. Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a pint glass.

Appearnace: extremely dark, not transparent, great chocolate/coffee color. Nice head builds with the pour and a bit of lace remains.

Smell is intriguing. You get the roasted dark malts of a porter along with hints of that strong chocolate/coffee flavor. These olfactions are quickly overtaken by the hop presence.

I definitely got the feel that this is a Black IPA. I know about Stone's uncanny ability to write an essay about their beer on the bottle while neglecting to mention a single characteristic of the brew but I found on their webpage that this is, indeed, a BIPA. Phenomenal hop flavor and aftertaste as always from Stone. The dark malts offset the floral and citrus hops.

Surprisingly light-bodied, I think, for a Black IPA. Doesn't weigh down on the palate like some others do. Fond of this one.

12-26-2013 04:48:34 | More by ajmitch4
tonymoore

I had this on tap the first time I had it, and I thought that if God drinks beer this is probably the beer he drinks. Satan, too, if he has any taste (and I'll bet he does). It's black like Satan's soul, and the taste is unexpected because of it: It looks like a stout, but it's a huge hop wash across your tongue.

The head is like froth on a milkshake, and it's exceptionally white, especially in contrast to the beer itself.

I thought that the color was just a gimmick, but then I realized that what it adds is a psychological aspect that no other beer has (yet): It's like buying a black car. It's not any faster than a white car, but it feels like it might be, and it's a hell of a lot cooler; you just tend to enjoy it more. The color of this one adds some kind of layer that you only discern on a subconscious level.

I bought two cases and enjoy every bottle as much as the previous. if you can find it, it's worth the price.

01-01-2010 19:05:47 | More by tonymoore
hrmhrm

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

If you like big brown sudsy heads, get this one. Thick, foamy and tall.

Pour deep dark brown.

Taste is a like too coffee-chocolate for my taste, but not sweet. Other ale styles I like better, but no question this is a great beer. If you love this style, you'll be in heaven.

05-18-2010 22:33:29 | More by hrmhrm
jzm2500

4.55/5  rDev +7.8%

A- Brown-black and opaque. Has a thick, frothy, tan head that smears down the glass like a Guinness.

S/T/M- Smells like citrus-y hops. Taste is IPA-ish (grapefruit, pine, bitter) combined with flavors of molasses and smoke. There is a pleasant sweetness from the malt. Finishes w/ a lingering bitterness. Feels relatively thick in the mouth, frothy, very nice. Flavor is immensely satisfying.

D- Nice. Take it easy though!

This is an exceptional beer. A black IPA-ish mutant.. Don't know how to categorize it, but it is big, bold, and wonderful.

Update: On subsequent tastings, I have been blown away every time. The head has had less of the creaminess than what I noted the first time, but it's still thick and ever-present.. This beer is a powerhouse of flavor. Top 5.

07-06-2010 15:37:10 | More by jzm2500
pgaveau

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours a Coca-Cola colorerd deep brown. Very little head or lacing. Faint smell of hops but not a lot going on. Caramel malt taste followed by slight bitter after taste. This is an enjoyable beer with a sweet touch. I could do this beer again but I wouldn't go out of my way.

02-18-2011 01:38:25 | More by pgaveau
Broden

4.6/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- A deep black beer with a beautiful tan head. Head dissipates but lingers throughout. Beautiful beer.

S- Smell is to die for. Some roasted coffee like notes, a little chocolate, and other roasted malt rests beneath a beautiful hop aroma that just blows me away. Seems to be a perfect balance of hops and roasted malts.

T/M- Taste is equally impressive with the perfect balance of hops, and roasted malts. Extremely easy to drink with a medium body, and a very nice finish.

O- Amazing beer. Definitely my favorite easy to come by, drink any time beer. Possibly one of my favorite beers overall. I would highly recommend this beer to anyone, especially any one looking to explore the black IPA style.

11-27-2012 05:33:44 | More by Broden
Chris_Mac

New Hampshire

3.56/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Darker than I was expecting, almost a black copper. Malts dominate the smell, big taste of caramel malts, dry hop bitterness, and alcohol. The head diminishes quickly, but leaves thick swaths of lacing on the way down. Hint of thick, syrupy mouthfeel, but vey pleasant. A strong filling ale, with lots of character. Definitely not an everyday ale, but makes a good impression when the occasion occurs.

06-09-2013 23:13:33 | More by Chris_Mac
THE-DUDE

Missouri

4.43/5  rDev +5%

I am typically not a big fan of black ales, but this is by far the best i have tried! It smells like an IPA, looks like a porter, and tastes fantastic. Floral, hoppy, slightly piney, and slightly sweet. Drinks very smooth and conceals the 8.7 very well.

02-16-2014 03:09:39 | More by THE-DUDE
zealot

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

I live in MN, and don't get access to the Stone gems. I was going to trade this to a friend without tasting it, but he surprised me by opening it and letting me try it with him. Thanks, Jeppe!

I knew this was going to be a black IPA, or an India Black Ale, however you want to call it. I am a big fan of expanding the definitions of traditional styles, and Stone did just that with this brew. Poured dark and opaque. It had a healthy head on it, like any IPA should. Not viscous like an Imp. Stout, but just very different from most beers.

I was too eager to taste this one, so I forgot to dissect the nose. I apologize. But I'm not going to make up a fake one. I'm going it assume it was good, based on my other ratings.

At first I felt a little let down because it just tasted like a regular IPA, but ... wait for it ... the roasted barley showed up. I am pretty sure it was roast barley and not chocolate or black patent - but maybe I'm wrong. But it was a subtle flavor that just boosted the malt profile to round out the flavor and balance the hops. Truly elegant.

Creative and artistic with this beer. Fantastic stuff. It left the great sticky tackiness of a good IPA, but with some added depth from the darker grains. I could have drank the whole bomber, but I just appreciated my taste.

I guess the only criticism I might have would be that I was hoping for just a little more from the dark grains. As stated above, they made their appearance, and it was great, but perhaps just a touch more would have been nice. BUT, the subtleties are what make this the beer that it is.

Get it. Drink it.

11-21-2007 00:45:20 | More by zealot
MarsMoose

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

Found this at my local liquor store and thought it looked interesting. Went in with no idea of what it was supposed to be.

I found a dark beer, appearing black in the glass but actually a brown with no visible particulates. I found a somewhat persistent frothy white head with the slightest of brown tints. I took a whiff and a got a noseful of hops, yet was not offended. It seemed to me like it smelled oddly familiar. Up-front hop bitterness in the taste seems to overwhelm the slightly roasted-tasting malt, but after about 1/4 of the glass I became accustomed to the bitterness and it was quite pleasant to drink. It was also about this time that I realized that this beer is a less-intense Arrogant Bastard. I should of guessed that from the name, but I guess I'm just a dumb bastard. ; )

01-12-2010 21:52:48 | More by MarsMoose
AlexTheAleMan

Oregon

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured into a stone ipa glass. big, slightly dark head. very dark, but not quite as dark as a stout.

smells slightly metalic and very hoppy. i might be getting sick or suffering from allergies so i dont really smell too much.

tastes very smooth. there is a bitter upfront bite like an ipa that slowly turns into a coffee stout flavor. the bitterness lasts for a long time. very good black ipa.

considering the 8.7% abv it is very drinkable. it is fairly carbonated and finishes very smoothly.

over all this is not my favorite beer, but it is definitely delicious and worth trying. i would most definitely buy this beer again.

03-28-2010 01:25:57 | More by AlexTheAleMan
BlueCat1

Wisconsin

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

The dark color of this strong ale belies the hop kick it brings. Very tasty, excellent mouth feel..velvety...nice aroma. But still very drinkable, not heavy tasting...even on a warm summer evening. This is definitely a benchmark example of this style.

08-31-2010 00:36:48 | More by BlueCat1
decafron

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

a - deep dark sludge with a beautiful huge head. lacing seems to be everlasting. can't wait to dive into this.

s - bright citrus hops lead with a wallop of chocolate malt on the finish. smells as good as it looks...

t - this where this ale really explodes! a perfectly balanced marriage of cocoa and piney hops. it's subtle and huge at the same time...easily the best thing i've tasted from stone.

m - the perfect amount of bitterness, carbonation, and hoppy resin. not a hint of that high alcohol which could be a blessing or a curse.

d - holy crap...where have you been all my life? black ipa's are easily my favorite style of the last couple years and SSR is exceptional. i'm not the biggest fan of stone so i usually walk by them when i'm making a purchase. this beer has given me a new found respect for them. BUY THIS NOW!

12-03-2010 03:43:10 | More by decafron
HopMasterFlex

4.43/5  rDev +5%

This is a go to beer for me. When the 11th anniversary came out I must have drank 20 bottles. It was my first time with a black ipa and frankly I never looked back. Though I feel the 11th was better than the sublimely I was still stoked to have it available year round. It bours black with a root beer hue. The head is an inviting tan. Smell is pure hops and I love it. The subtle toasted malt are present as well. This beer is the definition of an iba. The color is black bit it drinks like an ipa. Super hoppy and delicious. Nothing bad to say about this other than the smaller batch of the 11th was better. I still have 4 bottles of the 11th and I drank one the other day. The profile is completely different as you'd expect. The piney hop flavors are gone and the malt flavors are huge, it's almost choclatey. It is a completely different beer but still delicious!

02-03-2011 07:17:28 | More by HopMasterFlex
Yokoono76

Colorado

1.61/5  rDev -61.8%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

A: beautiful rich dark brown in color. Nice head, 2-3 fingers worth.

S: hoppy, piney-tar

T: wow,it's really hoppy! Did not expect it to be so bitter. Notes of pine, tiny little aftertaste of chocolate, but overhwlemed by the bitter metallic flavor. So bitter and metallic. It doesn't mellow either. Yikes!

M: good carbonation, nice thickness

O: I was so excited when I first poured it, rich head, great color... I got excited. Then, I smelled it, hoppy, pine, tar. The taste was so bitter, it has some depth which might become more noticeable if it weren't so bitter. Overall, I am underwhelmed. Perhaps if you like bitter, hoppy, metallic beers you might like it. I am not impressed.

Note: I would be willing to try it at a warmer temp., perhaps it might mellow out or add some depth. I just don't get the bitter beer movement.

02-23-2013 01:34:19 | More by Yokoono76
kguard

Iowa

4.41/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I disagree on the type as a black ale. It's a black IPA.
Looks like a thin oatmeal stout.
Smell gives the secret away. Caramel malt and lots of fruit hops. In fact a lot of hops.
Fruit forward hoppiness, lightly toasted malt, finishing with a nice grapefruit bitter finish that lingers.
Mouthfeel is a bit less carbonation than a standard IPA. Slightly chewier than most IPA. Still, I don't feel I'm eating a small meal.
Really suprised by the fruitiness of this beer. Having a black "ale" that brings the hops and fruits to the table like this is just awesome. Love it.

10-28-2013 04:42:35 | More by kguard
Raugupatis

This is only my second review here and I decided to do it on a favorite brewery of mine, Stone. They seem to get the need for body and hops in a beer.

That being said, their 11th anniversary is not a typical Stone Beer. When I think of Stone I think of the nearly-bitter hoppiness of their Arrogant Bastard or Ruination.

In the 11th Anniversary Ale, the hops are mingled with the chocolate/coffee taste from porter, but not flawlessly so. But it is a fun diversion and I am glad I came across this one.

12-19-2007 23:59:24 | More by Raugupatis
Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.