Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,742 | Reviews: 1,889

3.25/5  rDev -23%

3.25/5  rDev -23%

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

4.34/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into a Stone Brewing Co pint glass

A: Pours deep mahogany brown with a frothy khaki head that hangs around for a bit and laces beautifully.

S: Tropical fruit and pine hops, then a little citrus and fruitiness, caramel malt sweetness, and some roasted malt.

T: Pine and citrus hops up front, grapefruit and a hint of orange, some tropical fruit, mango, even some floral and fruity notes, followed with nice roasted malt, coffee, perhaps light chocolate, and a nice caramel toffee sweetness. What didn't they throw into this one?

M: Medium body, lower carbonation, quite smooth. Almost dangerously drinkable.

O: Haven't had this one in a while and I'm now wondering why it isn't a regular. Outstanding black IPA. I'm gonna miss this one when they retire it.

4.27/5  rDev +1.2%

This one had a bit of age on it. Better late than never I suppose. As soon as I popped the cap, hoppy aromas smacked my face. Beautiful cola brown pour with a nice light mocha head. Swirl bings a bit of that back up. Taste is almost all hops, but a bit more of an aftertaste. Some stone fruits, almost a back taste of prunes, brown sugar. Subtle though, because it is the hop power that shine through, and a bit too much for my liking. Not that it matters because the mouthfeel is so smooth. Like many Stone beers this has a smooth and full body that lend itself to easy drinking. Alcohol is a nonissue. The only thing holding you back is your feeling about hoppy beers. This was gone in no time. I prefer this to a double IPA, which is just too much hops for me to take any more. This and Stone's Cali will take care of my little hop fixes nicely.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Very dark brown color. You can have as much head as you would like to pour with this beer. Leaves nice lacing on the glass.

S: Mostly hops in the nose.

T: When it was cold, all I could taste was hops, so I left it for 15 minutes and came back. Now we have a rich, malty taste to go with the hops. Much better!

M: Full body, good carbonation.

D: As soon as it got warmer, I drank the bottle right down.

Very cool brew. I am not sure that I even would compare to anything that I have had before.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.57/5  rDev +8.3%

This one was obtained through a trade with geryeb624, thanks!!

Bomber with no sort of bottling date, poured into a goblet.

Appearance: Not quite black, more of a dark brown. Pours with a nice viscous splash that settles into a thin cream colored head that leaves little lacing.

Smell: Bittersweet malts that smell of chocolate and a hint of vanilla. I also note some pine like resinous hops. Probably the most intense aroma from a beer I have smelled, yet. This smells (bourbon) barrel aged.

Taste: The interplay of the various types of bitterness is what is most interesting here. There is the significant roasted malt bitterness that manifests itself as coffee or chocolate like. On the other hand, the bitterness from the hops also fights for your attention.

Mouthfeel: I am thankful that the body is not as thick as the smell (and pouring) would suggest, that would be too syrupy. The body is actually closer to the middle of the spectrum. The carbonation gives this beer a sense of levity as well.

Drinkability: Wow. This is a very complex beer. I am enjoying it very much, but it is so complex that I would not reach for another one after I finished the first. That, and it will never be shipped to Utah.

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

I knew this was referred to as a dark ipa but from a distance it could have been a stout with its dark color with ruby edges with a cream like head. Not much on the nose, a bit estery with some roasted smell. A great mouthfeel to this very smooth with little to no carbonation. Some dark fruit and black licorice as well as some little maple syrup Very easy drinking beer but I can feel the effects after one bomber.

4.83/5  rDev +14.5%

Prior to pouring this bad boy, I read over the bottle. A brief scan mentions IPA as the style, so I brace myself for another Stone hop bomb.

Poured into a pint glass.

Wait a second - this is dark, REALLY dark. Unlike like any IPA I've seen before, but totally intriguing from the get go. Totally sturdy head with lots of lacing and plenty of sticking to sides goodness. Roasted malt mixed with pine and citrus is the complex aroma. Really nice and different. Taste is a cross between a really nice dark ale and a hoppy IPA. Sweet and malty but finishes bitter and citrusy. Excellent stuff. Sturdy, full mouthfeel and this is one easy to drink brew. I could have another bottle right now. But alas, I only bought one. Highest recommendation.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Very dark beer leaving great sheets of sticky lacing around the entirety of the glass. I'm not surprised to smell the big hops in the nose. With Stone they do it big with hops in almost all beers they brew. Very complex and dark for a Stone release with bunches of prunes and brown sugar. Mouthfeel is silky, creamy and complements the bitter finish letting the character of this beer linger on the palate. Get one if you see it!

3.61/5  rDev -14.5%

A: pours black as coffe. Thin spiderwebbed lacing hangs around.

S: chocolate tone with hints of pine.

T: a malty smooth transition to a bitter "Stone" bite.

M: overbearing carbonation then ending sharp and dry.

O: not my favorite Stone creation, but it's no doubt another unique creation for the lineup. They call it an ale, I call it a bitter porter.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.