2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,610 | Reviews: 1,801 | Show All Ratings:
Overlord

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Finally got a chance to crack open a bottle tonight.

Color is dark, darker than I expected ... frankly. Some nice ruby/amber-hued highlights. The head was slow to build, but perfectly formed at two inches, and thick and tan versus white and foamy.

Smell is pure IPA. Hops, floral notes ... other than the color I'd be expecting just a straight IPA. The taste is mostly ... IPA. Lots of grapefruit hops, maybe a bit more malt sweetness. There is some coffee and bitter chocolate, but you get it mostly as an aftertaste, with just a bit lingering on the tongue.

Not what I expected. A very good beer, but it basically tastes like a real good IPA with some malt backbone, and a shot or two of porter thrown in. Extremely drinkable considering how many flavors they're throwing at you here.

09-15-2007 06:19:22 | More by Overlord
neenerzig

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

app-4.5 smell-4 taste-4.5 mouthfeel-4.5 drinkability-4

Drank again on 9/7/08, one year after it has been out. Split a bomber with my friend Passow. Poured into my pint glass, this beer is a very dark brown/black color with a tan head about 2/3 inch when poured. Sets to a nice thick ring lining the inside if the glass and a decent surface layer. Good lacing. Aromas of rich, roasted chocolate and malt along with moderate pine hops. Has a rich, roasted malt and chocolate sweetness upfront followed by sort of mild, pine hops. The hops have certainly diminished some in a year's time. Has an almost sort of mint like flavor too. Has a slightly crisp, but mainly smooth and creamy, syrupy mouthfeel with mild to moderate carbonation. Very good. Glad I am still sitting on one more bottle of this. Very easy to drink.

Poured into my pint glass/tumbler. This beer is a dark brown/opaque color with some ruby highlights when held to the light. Tan head is an inch thick when poured. Doesn't last too long though. Settles to a decent surface layer but leaves some very nice lacing indeed. Bold, floral, hoppy aromas are present along with some sweet, roasted maltyness. Good smell overall. The taste of this beer is hoppy yet sweet at the same time. The sweetness certainly becomes more apparent as the beer warms. It also has the coffee hints present in some porters and stouts, not something I am used to experiencing in beers of this style. The taste is rounded out by the distinct taste of alcohol. Very interesting taste. Has a crisp and full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Overall it is fairly easy to drink, especially as it warms. Another winning beer from Stone!

Eric

09-15-2007 06:11:51 | More by neenerzig
snpub540

4.05/5  rDev -4%

I heard alot of hype around this beer so I had to go and try it myself, not that I wasn't going to anyways. Pour was a very dark brown that was almost black. Thin tan head tops it off, and leaves some nice lacing on the way down.

Aromas are all IPA. Citrus and pine hops, and a hint at roasted malts to go with the very dark color.

The taste was mostly hops. Pretty much the same as the aromas. There was also a coffee after taste that followed. Pretty much a very hoppy porter. Small amount of alcohol is present in the end. Very enjoyable.

I found this to be a very good beer. Another great offering from Stone. Tastes like an IPA and a porter. Alcohol content is not overwhelming and there is a nice smoothness to mix with the bitter hops.

09-14-2007 23:47:13 | More by snpub540
scott

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

V.07

I could immediately tell this meant business when I began pouring. A great sticky/fluffy head with excellent staying power floats atop this dark beauty. Ruby highlights accent the most remote areas. I truly enjoy Stone's beer when it comes to aromatics; I can drink it with my nose. Bright, snappy, bold, enveloping. Hugely floral. When I close my eyes, I'm breathing in the 10th.
Dramatic changes occur when it hits the tongue. I like this, but give me a moment to figure this one out. Malt & molasses diligently try to fend off grapefuit rind & bitter hop with billy clubs. It's kind of messy, and maybe not as spot on focused as I would expect, but far from ingenious. I want to say this is a blended offering (10th & ?). This has presence, and it will hold your attention, as most Stone products do. I highly recommend you run out to try one for yourself, because the only way you'll be disappointed with this product is if it never touches your lips.

09-14-2007 23:01:33 | More by scott
ChazMania

Bomber. I’ve been looking forward to this beer since last years 10th. Stone wins again. This is very similar to what I tasted a while ago at the brewery, they called it Smokin Indian, maybe 80% IPA and 20% Porter. I make that mix often now and it’s great. This 11th is very similar to that. It’s cool because for such a dark beer, it tastes like a clean strong IPA. It’s like a mix of Ruination and Porter. I like it. I bought a case and might go buy another one!

09-14-2007 21:54:44 | More by ChazMania
OStrungT

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

This beer pours a very dark brown color that looks slightly ruby when held up to the light. It boasts a light brown head that looks thick and fluffy. The head fades slowly, leaving a good lacing.

This beer has a nice piney hop aroma. I smell some citrus notes as well. It has a slight malty aroma mixing in, but mostly I smell pine.

This beer tastes much like it smells. The piney flavors might be just a bit much, with the malt not quite balancing it out. It has a citrusy flavor of grapefruit as well.

This beer is full bodied and aggressive. It leaves a piney aftertaste. It is carbonated just right.

I think this beer would make a poor session beer. The alcohol is a little high, and it is aggressive and slightly off balanced.

Overall: Even though it is a little off balanced, I like this beer. I see myself drinking many pints.

09-14-2007 21:50:21 | More by OStrungT
Kendo

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

A: Poured from the bomber into a Duvel tulip. At first glance I think "the description on the bottle is correct - it's black. Pitch black." But then I see some crimson hues at the rounded edges of the glass. A 2-finger tan head slowly settles to a film on top and leaves plenty of splotchy lacing behind.

S: Immediate impression is "wet hops" - of the citrus and tropical fruit varieties (i.e., grapefruit and pineapple). It reminds me of the Tenth Anniversary's nose, though there's a definite mental disconnect going on in my brain, as the color doesn't seem to go with the scent at all.

T: First impression is of roasted malt underneath, with just a hint of chocolate, and then a dry, roasted coffee-like finish, followed by alcohol heat at the end and down the gulley. Surprisingly, in those first few sips it doesn't seem to be as hoppy as the nose would suggest; it tastes more like it looks rather than how it smells. However, after a few sips the hops take hold of the taste buds and won't let go - juicy, grapefruity and citrusy hops that leave a touch of grass or pine lingering well into the aftertaste, creating a bit of a tongue-curling bitterness. As it warms, however, a bit of that roasted malt flavor comes back, as does the alcohol heat in the finish. But ultimately it is the hops that are victorious.

M: Medium bodied and pretty well-carbonated. Not particularly smooth or creamy given the carbonation.

D: Good, but not great. It took me over an hour to finish this bomber. It wasn't a chore at all, but really tasty and smooth bombers (and/or lighter beer) tend to go down a lot faster.

Notes: There really was a mental exercise going on here, as the appearance and the nose were sending different signals to my brain -- the color cried out "malts!" while the nose cried out "hops!" My taste buds, being the final arbiter, seemed to be confused, as I really got a different impression at different times. I'm looking forward to the next bottle to see if I can get a decisive answer or a consensus of some sort, but for now it seems like the hops were the clear victors. . . .

Edit, 6-8-10: having recently had the Sublimely Self Righteous Ale, I'm bumping up the taste and mouthfeel to 4.5. This is a damn good beer, and a friend tells me that aged 11th Anniversary ends up stout-like and very good.

09-14-2007 19:30:45 | More by Kendo
Mebuzzard

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Ok, pours a black liquid, a bit thick looking with a chocolate shake-foam type head. Huge head. About 3 1/2 fingers. Not quite as thick looking as a stout.
Hops dominate the aroma. A bit surprising given the look of it. A sharp citrus smell, some anise and prune. Some resin as well.
Taste is like an IPA, but not as strong, yet stronger than a PA. The hops, again, dominate.The sharp citrus is more subtle, dry. A hint of molasses with some dark fruit. Not sweet at all, though. Alcohol is noticeable. Some of the anise comes through in the taste, not a fan of that.
A slick feel to it. Feels like a watered down stout, which I'm not sure is good or bad.
I like it, though. 22oz bomber didn't stand a chance.

09-14-2007 19:09:10 | More by Mebuzzard
Billolick

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

"A new creation from Stone", happy happy...this one goes into a short wine glass, and pours near black, or at least very dark, under a long lasting dark tan head, tiny bubbles and creamy, each sips reveals gobs of sheeting and then rings of striated lacing, nice looking stuff. Distinctive, herbal, citric hoppy nose, yum. Fresh and pungent brew, plenty o'hoppy goodness, crunching along up front. Full bodied and full mouthfeel, hops continue to carry the weight. Also Some dark maltyness picked up, cafe au lait and mild chocolate, meandering around in the background. Complex, tasty and full throttle, yet more fine brew from the folks at Stone. Washed down a slice of olive bread in fine fashion...go get some and consume.

09-14-2007 16:36:21 | More by Billolick
SacoDeToro

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

On tap at Beachwood BBQ in Seal Beeotch.

Pours a deep dark brown with a slight transparency in the light. Small off-white head.

The aroma is bursting with fresh citrusy and resity hops. Some slight alcohol and faint malt is in the nose.

The flavor of the beer is a burst of fresh citrusy and resiny hops with a great malt profile to boot. The malt profile is slightly caramelly, but I don't really detect any dark roasted malts. Perhaps they used some Sinamar for color? Despite the dark color of the beer it's not too heavy on the caramel. It finishes much lighter than it looks.

The mouthfeel is medium yet crisp. The carbonation was spot on.

This is one of the best beers I've tasted from Stone and certainly my favorite anniversary ale since 8th. This beer is bright and should be consumed fresh. Drink it now and savor the memories.

09-14-2007 16:11:00 | More by SacoDeToro
Padron4KM

Arizona

3.7/5  rDev -12.3%

22 oz bomber.

Dark brown with ruby highlights and a thin tan head.

Aroma is piney, roasty and a slight whiff of alcohol.

Flavor is piney up-front, with some citrus, chocolate and dark fruits lurking around.

Finish is long and piney, but there is enough malt balance to keep it from drying out.

This should age well.

09-14-2007 05:51:15 | More by Padron4KM
biking4beer

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured into my Yeti goblet.

Pours a deep, deep brown to black with some ruby hues when held to light. Easy pour produces a big two finger light brown head. A little lacing

All kinds of "conflicting" aromas. Of course, the hops come out and punch you in the face. Citrus of orange and grapefruit. Some floral. Pine. Pineapple. Once the hops numb your nose, you start to detect the roasted qualities of this brew. Caramel, toffee, and slight chocolate.

Taste is really conflicting too. Again the hops come to the forefront. This is no doubt a solid and big IPA. Mostly citrusy hops. Big grapefruit. The underlying roasted malts are nice subtle addition. Caramel, molasses, and chocolate.

Of course with big hops and roasted malts, you are going to get a nice creamy mouthfeel. A touch oily and moderately high carbonation.

Drinkabilit is pretty good. I could definitely polish off a bomber, but that is about it. I don't want to go hoard this one up like I did the 10, but it is a tasty brew. Conflict is good!

09-14-2007 04:15:02 | More by biking4beer
gmcfarre

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bomber poured into New Belgium chalice
Decanted at approx. 46 degrees F

A - Pours an opaque dark chocolate color with a good 1/2 inch tan head than fades to a thin layer. Lacing is good. -

S - Piney and oily hops with a nice brown sugar malt backing. Dark fruits and a touch of chestnut perhaps. Hops seem to be the star, but its a complex brew.

T - Starts with a brown sugary and plummy sweetness that edges slowly towards a piney and oily hoppiness. Finish is bitter without being over the top. Complex in its combination of sweet malt and bitter hops, but they marry well. A touch of rye breaded dryness seems to be present in the malt.

M - Medium to heavy body with a slightly viscous mouthfeel and a good drying, bitter aftertaste.

D - Fairly high alcohol doesn't show in the taste, but certainly does after downing an entire bomber. A heavy beer that is a better sipper than quaffer. It is fairly drinkable sip after sip though, as its very complex and tasty.

Another interesting and complex winner from Stone. The back of the bottle hints that this is an IPA, but filing it under that category would greatly diminish its complexity. This one should age nicely, so it will be interesting to revisit in a year or two.

09-14-2007 04:06:16 | More by gmcfarre
IntriqKen

4.72/5  rDev +11.8%

Oh, yeah!
This brew says, "Anniversary" more than any anniversary brew I've had.
This brew states what the brewer is all about and shows the growth and maturity they've achieved in their short 11 years.
This brew shouts, "Celebrate with us"....Arrogantly...most Arrogantly.

Pours a deep dark mahogany black with a tan full two finger head that melts slowly to very sticky lace.

As soon as you open the bottle you are hit with incredibly fresh west coast citrus peel hops and flooded with pine oils.

One sip and your mouth is filled with an incredibly smooth sweet amber malt then totally overpowered by the fresh...and I mean FRESH ... citrus and pine oil hops.

Mouthfeel is almost creamy...much smoother than you would expect from an IPA...
Aftertaste is a balancing act between the sweet amber malt and all of those pine oils.
I really don't know why this is listed as an American Strong Ale...to me it is a wonderful DIPA.

I have to give it high marks because I like the beat....I can understand what it is saying to me...and I can dance to it.
This stuff is that good!

09-14-2007 02:20:55 | More by IntriqKen
YonderWanderer

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

A: Pours a dark black with ruby overtones. A nice finger of tan foam tops it off and leaves lots of sticky lacing around the glass.

S: Upon cracking the bottle, you're assaulted by the smell of hops, hops, and more hops. Poured into a glass the hops come through. As it warms hints of chocolate and a bit of sweetness creep into it.

T: Wow. Just wow, wow, and wow. This is an amazing beer. It's rich and complex and has more flavors than I think I could try to describe. Naturally the hops hit you up front, in the middle, and leave a great bitter aftertaste. However, mixed in there you also find hints of chocolate abound. Calling it a chocolate IPA as others have is quite appropriate.

M: A bit thicker than an IPA, but smooth as velvet. Lightly carbonated and a great feel going down.

D: I wish they would make this a standard release. This is damn good and I can see myself drinking many, many more of these while I can get my hands on it. Once it's gone, I'm gonna miss this one.

09-14-2007 01:56:53 | More by YonderWanderer
prototypic

4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

Dated September 2007

Appearance: Wow! What a shock for an IPA! It's pitched black and amazing looking. Thick, frothy, slightly off-white head is a generous two fingers. Excellent retention and a nice coat of lace.

Smell: Again, this is a drastic departure from what one would expect from an IPA. It has a sweet malty aroma initially (somewhat chocolaty). It's blended with toasted nut and dark fruit. Citrus scents are noticeable as well as a strong hoppy smell. What a mix.

Taste: Excellent. Chocolate malts are sweet and mixed well with a bit of dark fruit (somewhat raisiny) and toasted nut. Hops kick and provide a bit of bitterness, but it's not over top. Perfect for this beer. There are some slight citrus undertones. This is a very complex and beautifully crafted beer.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's medium bodied. Carbonation is excellent. ABV is relatively high, but it's perfect for this beer. Extremely drinkable. I really think I could drink this all night. Overall, fantastic offering from Stone. Pick it up now.

09-14-2007 01:39:09 | More by prototypic
number1bum

4.53/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm psyched to enjoy this bomber...here goes.

Pours dark brown, nearly black but not quite opaque. Held up to the light reveals some deep ruby hues. A pillowy 2+ fingers of light tan head fill the glass, and the retention is outstanding, leaving a nice lace and tons of stick on the sides. This baby looks a lot like a porter and it's awesome.

Smell is very typical IPA, with pronounced citrus and pine hop resin aromas, but then there's just a touch of chocolate malt in there, as well.

Taste starts out super hoppy, again with emphasis on the citrus and pine. About halfway through the hops display some bitterness, but then to go with it comes some subtle chocolate and sweet caramel malt. It tastes a lot like a typical IPA but with subtle differences, and it's more complex than a regular IPA. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel is really creamy and soft on the palate, and it only feels about medium-bodied in the mouth even though it's a big one at almost 9%. It's also very drinkable because the hop bitterness is subdued and it's just so damn tasty.

This is a great brew, another notch on the belt for Stone. Really enjoyable.

09-13-2007 23:46:33 | More by number1bum
Domingo

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a dark black color. Not as murky as a typical stout, but a shade of black that looks a little like a schwarzbier. Head is there in full force (1" off of a normal pour) and sticks around for the life of the beer.
Smell is of floral hops. I'm mainly picking up pineapple. Unlike a typical IPA, it's got a roasted smell blended with the hops. Hops are definitely the front runner, but it's there.
It starts off tasting a little like a stout, but then the hops come through. They aren't overbearing, but it's strong like a potent IPA or maybe even DIPA. The finish has the hop bitterness, but also a roasted coffee bitterness as well. Interesting! I've had hoppy dark beers before (Avery's NWP) but none quite like this. To me it's a SchwarzIPA.
Mouthfeel is typical for an IPA. Many dark beers tend to be thick, but this one's really not. It's just right for what it is.
Potency and the bitterness from 2 sources likely keep me from making this a beer I'd have several of, but finishing one bomber's no problem.
I really like this beer. It's unique but holds it's own in multiple categories. Stone has a style bending winner!

Note - you can't really call this an IPA as it's about as non-pale as they come. I'm going to go with India Black Ale (IBA) for this one.

09-13-2007 23:21:08 | More by Domingo
oberon

3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

Great to see the new Stone Ann. ale here in western NY so quickly.My second time trying this new black IPA style of beer my first being Rogue Black Brutal wich I had mixed feelings about,this poured a deep dark brown but not black some ruby colored highlights thruought a thick 2 finger head atop that never completely settled just a fantastic creamy mass left with gobs of lace behind in my impy pint glass,just awesome.Mix of piney and tropical fruit hops and black malt in the nose mainly I picked up some pineapple and molasses wich was nice and it strayed away from the one dimensional resiny hop profile and caramel malt base.The hops are big but so is the black malt element of this beer sure its big and piney and citrusy but the dark bread and molasses in there is large as well in finely balanced that black malt character really shows itself.The alcohol creeps a bit but this is a very interesting brew it has it all big hops and some malty sweetness,another top notch brew form one of the best.

09-13-2007 21:42:20 | More by oberon
session1979

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a dark "Pitch Dark" black with a nice airy 2 finger head that lasted a few minutes and then clung to the glass as it dissipated. Smell was full of fresh oily hops, citrus, pine, and some light toasted malts. As it warms the aroma of over ripened fruit starts to dominate. The taste was of the hop flavors one would expect in a DIPA but there seem to be some other lingering flavors which are quite surprising, roasted malts, dark chocolate, and the warm molasses flavor you usually find in a RIS really wants to poke its head out. I am intrigued to say the least... The beer coats the mouth with a smooth medium to full bodied texture. The alcohol really starts to show as it warms and even though there is moderate carbonation the bite is there.

Overall this is a very tasty beer fresh but I look forward to experiencing it over time as it is a bit hot right now. I will give it another shot later on this week to see what I think on the second go round. Cheers!

09-13-2007 04:33:20 | More by session1979
orfeu

New Mexico

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%

Midnight-doused dark chocolate with cherrywood highlights. Fat dusky-sand foam sticks in thick clumps to the glass. Herbal and woody aromas with sugared grapefruit pulp. Faint earthiness with alcohol vapors. Initially floral and soft, but the quiet storm quickly builds to a thrashing tide of mellowed cedar and grapefruit juice concentrate. Slightly caramelized sugar notes increase as it warms. Medium body. Sharp and lively from pugilistic c-hop and alcohol assault. Lingering citric and pine bitterness in a finish that goes for miles. Underneath the relentless lupulin blast, some slightly vinous dark fruit whispers struggle to be heard. But not here, not now. A welcome expansion of the balls-out IPA palette.

09-13-2007 02:53:16 | More by orfeu
ArrogantB

4.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I already knew this was going to be a dark IPA but it sure is black. Smell is initially fruity out of the bottle and reminiscent of the vaunted 10th. Second smell from the glass is chocolate and hops! This one is weird, has a chocolate taste, some hops with fruitiness and roastiness at the end. Good stuff and makes me want to revisit Avery’s 14th anniversary ale. The mouthfeel is nice and creamy but I am not sure that I could drink more than one bomber. For some reason the chocolate and hop combination makes me think of chocolate mints.

09-12-2007 14:54:23 | More by ArrogantB
nortmand

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

Ruddy brown pour with a frothy, two fingered head.

Juicy hop aromas fill the room upon pouring. Grapefruit, passion fruit, sweet orange flower honey, everything an american hop has ever been or wanted to be. Some caramelized sugars and coffee aromas as well.

Flowery sweet grapefruit up front, roast and hop juice midtongue. Leaves a balanced hop bitterness and chocolate.

Fantastically designed beer. Very, very nice. I'll miss this when it is gone.

09-11-2007 01:47:31 | More by nortmand
shirfan

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Dense, dark garnet-black bordering on midnight in all but the thinnest regions of the glass, with a massive pillowy head of tan foam.

Aroma of dark malts, tannins, leather, leafy hops.

Taste is smooth and creamy dark malts first, then some moderate leafy hops mingling with a hint of citrus and pine. Finish turns almost light and fluffy with just a mild twinge of alcohol.

Easy to drink for its size and incredibly more-ish... imagine a schwarzbier brewed with ale yeast and then hopped to standard American IPA levels.

In a word, exceptional.

09-10-2007 21:32:57 | More by shirfan
bennetj17

Arizona

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

Deep chocolate brown in color, quite dark without much light peering through. The pour leaves a massive tan head with great retention. Plenty of crusty lace clings to the glass, plus there is an espresso-like foam that never fully disappears.

Beautiful, fresh citrus hops hit the nose. Very tempting, they are resiny with loads of grapefruit and orange tanginess. Not much malt character here but who cares right? I was able to enjoy the aroma for at least a couple minutes on this one.

The flavor is also a blast of tangy citrus hops but this time with a little more strength from the coffee toasted malt. The finish is exceptional with a drying nuttiness and a note of chocolate noticible before the strong bitterness takes hold. There is definitely a battle between the roasted malts and the infinite hops here in which the hops seem to dominate in the long run. The mouthfeel is syrupy thick, with the carbonation leaning toward the lower side.

It's hard not to like a beer with such intense flavor and aroma. Being somewhat syrupy I thought it might be a sipper but it went down pretty easy once I got used to that. This is definitely another extreme brew and just what I would expect from Stone. I would argue it's better than the 10th Anniversary so stock on up, but also drink soon because these hops will only fade and it won't be the same...

09-10-2007 02:51:57 | More by bennetj17
Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.