Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Catching up on some more reviews from notes, sampled on-tap. As soon as I saw this listed on the chalk board - I had to have it.

Dark, just a shade above black, coppery highlights, thick orange brown foam. Long lasting head, chunky lace.
Resinous hop smells, pineapple, grapefruit but also some brown sugar sweetness.
Lots of hop flavors, but not one dimensional like a DIPA. Some roasted malt, actually more porter-like malts than I was expecting. I was prepared for a darker colored IPA, but I really liked this one. Citrus hop zing to start, then tons of complex flavors follow.
Despite the high alcohol, very high drinkability level. Not overly hot, but not mellow either.
The mouthfeel is thick and a bit oily from the hoppiness, good body.
Wish we could get more Stone products north of the border.

Note to Self: Rated #4 American Black Ale when I tried it.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

Awesome to see 4-packs of this beer on shelves now for a reasonable $10!

A: Pours black with two fingers of light tan head that recedes to a thin layer with decent lacing.

S: Loads of hops up front with grapefruit and pineapple at first followed by some resiny pine notes. Roasted malts bring up the finish with bitter cocoa, char, and slight coffee aromas.

T: Roasted malts up front with lots of robust flavors like bitter chocolate and char. Very roasty. Hops hit next with a lot of earthy pine flavors and some notes of grapefruit and citrus rind. The finish is charred and reminiscent of very dark chocolate.

M: Body is slightly on the heavier side of medium with medium carbonation that accentuates the hops and roasted malt characters well. This beer avoids being too watery or too thick.

O: One of the most readily available and yet best black ales out there. This style is becoming more popular, but it's difficult to find examples that are as good as this, let alone as easy to get. It does a good job of balancing hops and roasted malts, both very present but without one overwhelming the other.

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%

I've been developing quite a liking for Stone Brewing Co, this one's got a cool bottle and is up my alley in terms of style. Served in a mug.

A: Poured a very dark blackish brown color with a thin hazelnut-tannish head with small amounts of lacing.

S: Holy hops, smells very hoppy, flowery, also woody, and malty, fruity too, like plums and dried apples

T: As indicated by the smell, has a strong hop flavor too it, pretty bitter, a very smoky, woody feel to it, very strong malt taste. Can't really pick up on the almost 9% abv.

M: At first its refreshing, has well balanced body with medium carbonation, the way I like it, but then BOOM, hopmania super strong after taste.

O: Overall, Stone never ceases to impress me, this was a very interesting beer, had a nice contrast of mellow, easy going mouth feel paired with the very bitter, strong hop backlash, I liked it, not a bad pick at all.

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

A: Not as dark as Wesley Snipes, but a shade or two below. Laced up. My glass remained covered in film as I took sip after sip. Like three year-old unbrushed teeth. Love it.
S: Smells like Stone. What else? A locker full of sweaty briefs meets magic.
T: Tastes like Stone. One of the reasons I enjoy this brewery. In a blind taste test, you could always recognize a Stone brew. At first sip, you get ready for it to knock you on your butt with over-the-top hoppiness, but the ale fools you and comes flanking from the left with a gentle rush of roasted malts. Like when I got flanked from both sides by a couple Brazilians. Gostosa!
M: Aside from the open sores on my lips, which I'm treating at the moment, I felt no pain. Usually my mouth feels dirty, but after rinsing it with this holy water, I feel like a new man. Like when you gargle bleach, or when you go down on a virgin. Same thing. Virgins kill everything. Ask the africans.
O: Well, damn it, this is what matters most right? I hold this beer like I hold my member. It is precious.

3.56/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Deep, dark black with probably one of the best lacings I've ever seen. Super sticky with thick lines of lacing.

S: Malty tropical fruits! Cool, but not really my thing.

T: Follows the nose with a citrusy, super malty taste. Orange peels and milk chocolates.

M: Full and not as thick as it looks! Medium carbonation.

O: I don't think my palate knows what to do with black ales just yet. The tropical notes just don't seem to mesh well with the heavy malt. This is good, but nothing I'd by again. Don't think I can appreciate black ales.

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Black in color with brownish hues on the edge of the glass. Poured with a thick beige foam with excellent staying power that left sheets of sticky lacings on the glass. Black patent malt and citrus and resinous pine hop aromas. Medium bodied with a creamy smooth feel. Dark roasted and burnt malt flavors below intense bitter citrus and pine hop flavors. A nice combination of intense flavors with a delicate feel.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

4.49/5  rDev +6.4%

Serving type: 12-ounce bottle. The “ENJOY BY” date is “12/28/12.”

Appearance: Straight pour into a pint glass. The color is very dark brown leaning toward black. Two fingers of dense, cappuccino-colored head dissipated very slowly.

Smell: Lots of west coast citrus and pine; mostly grapefruit but there is also tangerine and orange. Very invigorating. Dark chocolate and sweet caramel are also present. There are also faint roasted malts and molasses.

Taste: It offers a very strange and tasty flavor experience. At first it seems the hops are about to slam my taste buds. But just about the time I expect them to become overwhelming, they are balanced by the dark malts. Everything plays a minor role: hop citrus, pine, and the dark malts. The mouthfeel is much like I expect from a pale ale, and a slight, boozy sting is pervasive. As it warms, the hops leave an earthy, grainy aftertaste.

Drinkability: Excellent. This is something I will definitely drink again.

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.