Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros

4.23/5  rDev +0.2%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours out a nigh-black with three fingers of tan frothy head that lasts for three minutes and leaves behind some lovely patterns of lace. Medium body and carbonation levels, smooth texture and a nice hoppy crispness to the finish.

Smells of a wonderful blend of blackened roasted malts and fresh juicy citric hopping of both oranges and grapefruits. As the glass warms, resinous hopping aroma joins in as well. The flavor is slightly more roasted-focused than the nose is, but that is not to say that the hopping is not well represented. There is plenty of piney goodness to go around. It overall keeps very dry and ABV is about 75% hidden. (There is a rising warmth in the background, but mostly the orange peel hopping is made fruitier and richer by the ABV presence, which is a good thing in my book.) This is one of the best Black IIPAs out there on the market IMHO.

2.5/5  rDev -40.8%

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

3.58/5  rDev -15.2%

22oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Closest color to black without being black. Huge head on the initial pour, beige in color. Head drops to a centimeter and lingers throughout the beer. Lacing is beautifuk

S: Not a huge fan of the smell of black IPAs. Citrusy, which I do like. But the hoppiness isn't one of my favorite smells in a beer. To each their own.

T: Strong. Roasted malts, very very hoppy, which I enjoy now and then. These beer is so bold and robust in flavor that a big-time hophead would love this.

M: Easy to drink in terms of texture but the intensity of the hops and flavor make you really sit back and enjoy it.

O: Excellent beer. Not something I will drink often (may enjoy as the weather really turns cold). Stone is awesome. Need I say more?

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Not really sure how I've gone this long without reviewing this!

A: Stone never really does disappoint me in this category. The color is about the darkest brown you can imagine. 3+ fingers of a light tan, fluffy head. Great retention and nice lacing. All kinds of bubble sizes. Just a beautiful beer that I can't wait to drink... again!

S: Oh man this smells like a hop bomb (that I know it is). Lots of citrus, just pure... dank hops. There are some sweeter notes from a roasty malt presence too. Almost burnt coffee-esque. A great aroma that is so inviting.

T: Huge, huge hops. I mean slap you in the face hops. Really resiny... piney hops. Some citrus too. The malts come to play in a smokey, roasted malt sort of way. Some coffee. Just a hint of the coffee. But it's really hard to taste anything but those hops. Hugely bitter finish. Lots of heat from the alcohol, but it's totally welcome!

M: I'm totally digging this mouthfeel. It's so smooth and has great body. It's not nearly as slick as I would think, given the hops.

O: A solid beer in this category. Definitely not much in the way of balance. But that's ok, because it's damn good. I'm frequently at a toss up between the well balanced American Black Ales or the hop heavy ones. This is one of my favorite hop forward ones.

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Very dark with a nice, think light-colored head. Color is a nearly opaque black, with a hint of amber and transparency near the top when held to the light.

S: Delicious smell, with hops being the most prominent. There is also some citrus and a hint of grapefruit and sweetness.

T: This is a wonderful tasting beer - It's been about two years since I had it for the first time (I moved back to Iowa and it just today was distributed) and it remains as good as I remember it. Very hop-forward with some malt follow-up. There are several other flavors present as well, possibly floral and pine.

M: The mouthfeel is great, with a forefront of bitterness and a great aftertaste. It makes me want another drink before I put the glass down. It feels medium to light, despite its dark appearance. Very pleasant.

O: Overall, I really enjoy this beer. It's much more hop-forward than I remembered or anticipated when I purchased it, but that was a pleasant surprise. This is one of those beers with enough complexity that I am confident I will discover more flavors as I come back to this beer over and over again. At 8.7%, the booziness is present but more subdued than I expect for a beer of this gravity.

Being my first Stone beer in nearly two years, its too early to say how it stacks up with the rest of their lineup. However, the price is great ($10.99 for a 4-pack) and I imagine this will become a part of my regular drinking lineup.

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.