Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros

I was looking for something a little stronger in an IPA today so I bought this. The label didn't make it clear that this was a black ale. I probably wouldn't have bought it.

I've had a few blacks, and this is probably the best. It is rich and complex. Every aspect of it is best of breed. It's sort of an "imperial" black.

I rated it a bit loer than I should have, maybe, judging it as what I really wanted, which was an AIPA, but is it one I that would happily repeat. I am looking forward to finishing the large (and expensive) bottle.

schoolboy, Sep 18, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle poured into snifter

A: The beer is black but not quite ebony. Some light makes it through when you’re viewing it from an angle (and through a small section of the beer; a half inch or so). I got ¼ inch of head on a medium pour. Head is tan, a little creamy and it dissipated in 60 to 90 seconds.

S: I get lightly roasted malt scent followed by fresh flowery hops. There seems to be a hint of dark chocolate and coffee along with an alcohol scent that became much more apparent after the first sip.

T: The roasted malt makes more of an appearance and mixes with the hops in an interesting way. It seems to mute the hops a bit and creates a bitter, roasted black coffee taste with the alcohol a bit too heavy.

M: This is a medium bodied beer. The carbonation is fitting. It has a longer finish. It leaves a bitter roasted coffee aftertaste on the roof of my mouth and the back of my tongue.

O: I have always found this beer to be like a roasted, more alcoholic arrogant bastard. I enjoy it every once in a while, but it’s not in my regular rotation like many other stone offerings. It is a really interesting beer to me though. The hop bitterness and roasted malt interaction is cool. I don’t find the beer as bitter as the IBUs testify. I wonder if this beer is best fresh. I wonder if aging this in oak barrels would be beneficial in bringing out some flavor. I definitely find it too heavy on the alcohol in scent and taste.

BJA, Sep 14, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

Going back and drinking some of the beers that started my now beer addiction. I remember liking this beer, but after tasting it again, I can't believe one of these bottles isn't in my house at all times.

A: Poured from a bomber into a standard pint glass which produced a good, 1+ finger head that had solid retention. After the beer finally subsided, moderate lacing was exhibited. The beer itself is dark (hence the style, Black Ale) that allowed no light to penetrate. However, I could see some brown along the edges.

S: Lots of malt upfront, followed by those beautiful floral hops. Malts were sweet and hid the ABV quite well.

T: Excellent. Similar to the smell with the malts upfront, but the hops that followed were saturated in pine. I felt the pungent hops were perfectly balanced with the sweet malts, just seemed to flow together seamlessly. Very easy beer to keep drinking.

M: Medium bodied, fair amount of carbonation.

O: For real Stone, I am so glad that it was you who popped my craft beer cherry. If you haven't yet had this Black Ale than I suggest you go out and get one, truly remarkable.

tjkinate, Sep 13, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

On tap at the Stone Brewery in Escondido, CA.

A: Poured a dark, opaque black in color with a nice half inch of thick, creamy off-white head atop that lasts for a long time and leaves tons of lacing around the glass as you drink.

S: Tons of pine and citrus hops, roasted malts, chocolate, coffee and alcohol. Potently potable!

T: Dense on the palate with predominant notes of pine hops, roasted malts and coffee with some dark chocolate. Finishes dry with lingering hop bitterness. As advertised in the aroma, this one packs a huge hop punch (like all Stone brews), though it remains fairly balanced without becoming overly bitter.

M: Pretty thick and heavily bodied with ample carbonation and an oily, syrupy and chewy quality on the tongue. A good amount of substance for the style without being overly thick and remaining fairly drinkable.

O: Lots of flavor and a high dosage of hops are sure to make this a pleaser. Very enjoyable on tap or in the bottle, though I would say on tap the hops come out a bit more and it tasted a lot more fresh and poignant. Very enjoyable, but I don't think I could drink more than one as it fills you up quickly. If you like dark, roasted brews and are a fan of hops, this one is for you. Cheers!

kflorence, Sep 11, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my trusty nonic. Produced a very, very nice dense, dark cream head that billowed above the rim yet didn't drip down the sides, awesome retention. This is a dark beer. I like how Stone didn't label it a Black IPA, or even a Dark Ale. Holding it up to a light doesn't reveal much more than some faint cherry red.

The smell is hop forward with a nice roasted malt followup. Not an outstanding smell; nothing really surprising. However, I love how dark it looks and how hoppy it smells, and tastes...

I know there has been some recent "hype" regarding the Black IPA/American Dark Ale style, but I love me some of these dark, hoppy, malty brews. And this is a good one. Serious hop presence upfront, but there is unmistakable roasted malt in the middle and finish. The finish isn't sweet though; it's still nice and dry. As the beer warms it gets markedly more malty.

It's heavy, but smooth, with some nice carbonation. Not necessarily a sipper, but far from a session beer.

Overall this is a very much quality brew from a style that I do like. Great hop profile that drives a great dry, yet malty, brew. It has a right to be self-righteous. It may in fact be sublime. All I know is that if I'm browsing at my local craft beer store (Four Firkins), and I see fresh Self-Righteous, I'll be hard-pressed not to grab it. Cheers!

Humulus85, Sep 11, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +13.3%

22oz Bomber, no freshness date

A - Pours a thick, dark brown with a lighter brown, two-finger head the lingers. Absolutely beautiful

S - Hops, hops, hops. Hops dominate the smell. Very earthy and crisp. A hint of maltiness in the background.

T - Extremely well balanced. Malty start, almost hints of cocoa in the middle, and hoppy, slightly dry finish (Stone signature).

M - Very smooth, not too thick, and clean, crisp finish. Almost perfection

O - One of my personal favorites, never gets old, and arguably one of Stone's finest. The perfect balance of malt and hops. The name says it all. Do yourself a favor and add this one to your list.

FarmerJohnny, Sep 10, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

Very deep brown, near black, 2 fingers of tan head, good lace left behind. Smell is very hoppy, lots of citrus, grapefruit, pine, malty, some roasted qualities, bittersweet chocolate notes. Taste is fairly roasted, coffee, bakers chocolate, nice hop presence, some alcohol points, citrus in aftertaste, long roasted finish. Lightish mouthfeel, med body, medium carbonation. Well balanced and enjoyable, very nice black ale, hits the mark for me.

peensteen, Sep 06, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Have had this cellared for some time, and am quite excited to see how this tastes. Am having this poured from a 22 oz bottle into an oversized snifter. The bottle bears a stamp stating that it is best if enjoyed by 8/31/10; obviously, I am long beyond that, but it still smells delicious!

Pours a deep dark black, with a tan/cocoa colored head that goes from a two finger height to a thin wispy skim on top.

Quite hoppy in aroma, with loads of pine, cedar, and faint citrus; a thin malt note is struggling to be heard, but frankly is being snuffed out by the abundant hops. It may have the look of a stout, but has the aroma of a west coast IPA.

Roasted and toasted, with hints of cocoa and coffee, before it is buried beneath an avalanche of hops. The malt does a better job here, though, of not being pushed around by the hops than it did in the aroma. The bitter hops, though asserting themselves earlier on in the sip, find themselves tamed by a pleasant chocolate finish. Overall, a complex and pretty well balanced taste.

Medium bodied, with a dry finish, this is a pleasant sipper.

Awesome to drink, it has that signature Stone hoppiness that I just can't get enough of. The darker chocolate and coffee notes really finish it nicely. I wonder how similar this will be to the black IPA that Stone is just putting out now.

TheHoppiest, Sep 05, 2011
4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours black and leaves two fingers of creamy, brown foam.

The smell is toasty and a heavenly mix of earthy/floral hop aromas.

Even layer of oily hop bitterness from the first drop on the tongue. The hop presence is IPA status which caught me off guard. Chocolate notes are present, but right now are hard to find since the hops are kicking my palate around. Light alcohol presence aids the bitterness; mouthfeel is solid.

I like this beer (not the price) and thoroughly enjoyed it, but it is overly hopped for my taste buds. I love hops, but I can't call myself a hop head; I was hoping for more malty flavors in this. IPA lovers: GO CRAZY!

Gotta love the commentary on the back of the bottle, especially the third paragraph!

SkitzIrish3, Sep 02, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

I had stored this baby for months now after fellow ba aschwab brought it over of me back in feb.

Yesterday, after un-beerlike procrastination, I decided to go for it.

Poured into a pilsner glass, shared with a friend. Nice, dark brown to black tone with a generous and dark chocolate toned head. in itself it looked beautiful, non translucent.

Smell isn't too strong but it comes off in a deliciously well blended feel of coffee and hops. sort of porter-ish at first but too sweet and less smokey than it. the hop feel is hardly overwhelming, and rather complimentary to it- it doesn't go the way so many american beers go with their hops.

Taste is fantastic. soft, sweet palate at first, with a roast maltiness to it aided by a simultaneous musty feel of yeast. smoky across the tasting, and ends with a strong hop feel that however doesn't overtake the following sip. It's thick bodied, but not enough to be viscous- it was very nice to drink in a cold, refreshing sort of tone.

Overall, yet another beautiful american beer, a twist to the direction usually perceived by me from Stone (and certainly its most original and tasty one). I never cease to be amazed with the brews of the states.

Andreji, Aug 29, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

A - Pours nearly black with a two finger light brown sugar colored head. Lacing clings to side of the glass.

S - Piney hops, some dark brown sugar.

T - Starts out with black toasty malts followed up by a wave of fresh, dry hops. Alcohol is noticeable at the end.

M - Medium to heavy. Oily, good amount of carbonation.

O - Probably my favorite example of the style. Another well done beer done by stone. I think one bomber of this will hit the spot nicely. This one had been in my fridge for about a month so may have lost a little of that hop bite Stone is so well known for.

pigc, Aug 28, 2011
4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a pitch black with a nice tan head.

The aroma is pine hop with some sweet malt character. The hop profile also has some citrus/grapefruit character. This beer has a BIG aroma, just fantastic.

The taste is pine hop up front followed with some sweetness and finishing with a big, bitter kick. The blend of hops is really good, almost dank with just a hint of roasted character in the back.

This beer is medium bodied but feels a bit light actually. The carbonation is good, not too high or low. I'm not sure if I would want more body...it drinks well enough but just feels lacking a bit.

This beer is a big hop bomb that has a sweet, slightly roasty balance. The hop aroma and kick are fantastic like most Stone beers.

TenHornsProud, Aug 27, 2011
3.83/5  rDev -9.2%

whoa...forgot i had this. stumbled across it when trying to pick something out...thanks to BVbeer1

a - opened and poured into my capt lawrence taster tulip. black with a creay mocha white head. pretty frothy. left milkshake like lacing clinging to the glass.

s - great balance. strong malt presence with decent hop showing as well. nice cinnamon zing. smells great.

t - strong chocolate and extreme roastiness. this brew is intense. finishes rather bitter and dry.

m - punch you in the eye

o - overall, a good black ipa/ale with the bitterness i'd expect from stone. worth checking out for sure.

cosmicevan, Aug 27, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance. Pours a deep dark brown ith almost two fingers of thick, pale orange-tan head that leaves some pretty bands.

Smell. Roasty dark malts, dark chocolate, orange and grapefruit rind and a little pine needles.

Taste. Big dark malts and equally big citrusy, piney hops. A little chocolate and roastyness on the second sip. Love the big hops!

Mouthfeel. Medium-full body. Medium carbonation. Fairly crisp and refreshing for such a big beer.

Overall. Great stuff. I'll be watching out for this one again.

Rutager, Aug 26, 2011

Enjoy by 10/15/2011

Pours a very dark brown with light only coming through around the edges of the glass. Perfect 2 finger foamy head with great lacing on the glass.

Smells like citrus hops, some cat piss, and a bit of roasty malts.

The taste on this beer is amazing! Very hop forward with the darker malts counteracting the bitterness on the back end.

The mouthfeel is very nice, the carbonation is very nice, just what you would expect from Stone.

Overall, this beer is excellent! As an IPA lover who is trying to branch out into some of the darker brews, this is the perfect gateway beer!

bastu, Aug 25, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

I had one of these a while ago that wasn't particularly fresh, not knowing what to expect, and was very impressed. Picked this one up a few days ago specifically to document the experience. And of course to enjoy another one.

22oz bottle (best before 10/5/11) poured into a tulip. Dark, dark brown color with a fluffy 3-finger tan head with great retention.

Even from a distance, the aroma is bright floral and citrus hops. Smells like an IPA. Not sure if it's my mind playing tricks on me because of the color, but the malt smells a little darker and roastier. Only way I could know if this is psychological would be to taste blind; too late for that now.

First sip is all that grapefruit bitterness, but yes I'm definitely tasting a darker, roastier malt here. It really tempers the brightness of the hops in a good way. This is not just an IPA; it's almost a cross between a stout and an American IPA. The only other beer I've described like this is, not surprisingly, Deschutes Hop in the Dark. Mouthfeel is really smooth too. Maybe a little less refreshing than a regular IPA because of the dark malt, but there's a richness here that compensates.

Yes, this is a "hybrid" style that really works. And I expect I'll be adding it to my lineup of regular "go-to" brews. Well done Stone!

draheim, Aug 25, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +5%

12oz Pour from Bomber->Saison Dupont Becker
A ~ Pours well. Black/Brown with a great looking cap of an awkward color of tan/beige. Pretty good lacing with pretty great retention.

S ~ Strong Pine & Citrus notes as well as Raw Sugar & Dark Malts. I expected more roasted notes, but they are buried pretty well beneath the layers of grapefruit & sap. Slightest hint of bruised banana.

T ~ Grapefruit by the pound, Burnt Wood, Cedar Chips, Baking Chocolate, Rosemary, Black Pepper & even hints of Tropical Fruit (guava & mango). Burnt Grass, Pine-needles & Coffee silt assert themselves upon warming up a touch. I am not letting this one get to room temperature, though.

M ~ Mouthfeel is full. Not necessarily sticky, but Very oily & herbaceous. Almost ashy at times. Hopped well. Really exciting on the palette. Pretty bitter, too.

D ~ From what I have had of the style, this is pretty much the hallmark. It's not just an IPA with a dash of Specialty malts, it's a BLACK IPA. Like the Belgian IPA, it is a peculiar style, but Stone executed it as if they'd invented it.

chocosushi, Aug 23, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: black black black. Dark head that has a pretty good retention. Settled quickly. Good looking beer overall.

Smell: Hoppy. Wasn't all that impressed with the smell. Smelled like a standard Stone IPA. Which is still a pretty strong hoppy smell.

Taste: Heavier taste that goes along with the color, but still tastes like an IPA. The only thing that really sets it apart from a normal IPA is a smoky initial flavor. Very hoppy. Good floral taste, and an nice lingering bitter. Not as "self-righteous" as I was hoping for, but really good none the less.

Mouthfeel: Heavier than an IPA, but its nicely carbonated, which offsets nicely.

Overall this was a really good beer, wouldn't expect anything less from Stone. Wish it stood apart from the double bastard a little more though.

sloambbr, Aug 21, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

Serving- bottle to pint glass
Appearance- A thin tan head. Dark black and Opaque
Taste- very bitter hops at the beginning. some hints of malt.
Smell- Strong hoppy smell
Mouthfeel- moderate carbonation
Overall- the has a very overpowering hop taste. which made it hard for me to taste everything else. It is a good beer overall.

kcopelan002, Aug 20, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured black with a very dark brown hue when held to light - a nice tan colored thick frothy head bellows up and hangs around and doesn't want to leave - a beautiful yet devious looking brew - ends up leaving some very thick sticky lacing with each drink. The smell is insane! A nice mixture of piny and tangy hops that mash up with a very welcoming burnt chocolate and vanilla mixture of aromas - the hops do take over here, though. The flavors are as the bottle says "sublime". The piny resinous hop flavor is perfect with a sweet hop bit taking the back seat - the roasted maltiness comes through strong coffee, bitter chocolate, and the slightest hint of smoke coming through. Exceptional. The mouthfeel is damn near full bodied - very creamy and still very well carbonated. A little burn from the booziness but nothing overwhelming. This beer was a real treat - all the cocky text on the back of the bottle, which is typical of Stone, is completely fulfilled in this delicious brew. Glad I had the opportunity to enjoy this.

Cheers!

antlerwrestler19, Aug 18, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Knockout "Black APA".

As the style name suggests, the beer is almost completely opaque: black with reddish brown tones when held up to light. Beautiful coffee coloured head and lacing, decent mouthfeel, without the oiliness often associated with this higher ABV level.

Aroma is predominantly roasted malts but with the hint of "west coast" hops. These are more present in the taste, which is a well balanced combination of caramelized & toasted malts, coffee & vanilla, plus the citrus and tropical fruit hoppiness of the "west coast".

A nice bitter finish ends a truly delightful beer. Will definitely purchase again whenever I get a chance.

hopsolutely, Aug 14, 2011
4.22/5  rDev 0%

Bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Thick, dark, brown, almost black. Light tan head that leaves good lacing.
S: Surprisingly hoppy/piney; malt and toffee come through a little as it warms up.
T: Piney hops to begin then balanced out somewhat by sweeter malts and earthy tones; light chocolatey note in the finish. Some alcohol warmth, but not noticeable in the taste. Hop note left to coat tongue.
M: Medium to full body, slightly viscous, but not like a thick stout. Medium to high carbonation. Smooth drinker with a bit of a bite.
O: One of a handful of Black Ales that I've tried; very good. Seamless merging of hops, malt, and sweeter chocolate and caramel tones. A must try.

cr0ckett, Aug 10, 2011
4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a nice dark... black. A huge head starts off this brew, nice and tan. Sexy lacing, makes you want to lick it off the glass.

The smell is a mash-up of charred malts and citrus. Hard to pick any one thing out. Hints to a complex taste but not on the most appealing of ways.

Burnt chocolate, coffee and strong grapefruit lead off the taste. A touch of coffee and an almost marijuana herbal taste follows (not surprising being that they are in the same family). I taste a bit of creamy vanilla bean and another hint of citrus in the finish. A touch of booze is noticed as it warms. Goes down well, though a little heavily carbonated.

When I'm in the mood for the style, this would be a, "go to brew". Very nice, one is good for a sitting though.

OBeerMeGreatOne, Aug 09, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass.

A: Opaque black in color yielding some light transmittance around the edges that shows dark brown, with one finger of mocha-tinted foam head. Moderate lacing remains on the glass.

S: Root beer-like, with rich toffee and piney hops. A balancing spirituous sharpness cuts through the steady roasted malt notes, especially as it warms and more of the glass volume is filled with air instead of liquid.

T: Begins off-dry, with intense coniferous hop aromatics and lesser burnt caramel amidst bold acidity that seems to draw out some additional spicy and herbaceous hop notes. The middle is more focused on stout-like black grain with some faint dark citrus and dried plum detected, as well as a whiff of cardboard. Earth and even some coffee characterize the finish, where bitterness becomes appropriately intense and durable. No alcohol is detected.

M: Medium to thick viscosity, slightly sticky and acidic on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: Certain beers, due either to timing or to mastery, have taken on the role of archetypal example of their style: certainly Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is the archetypal American-brewed pale ale, and within its distribution range Alaskan Amber will always be the defining American-brewed alt. Sublimely Self-Righteous (SSR) ale by Stone defined the archetype of the black DIPA--which is, I think, an important distinction to make from the black IPA. While the style has been popping up here and there and everywhere with ever-increasing frequency, this beer was very accessible within Stone's distribution range before most breweries had even discovered black IPAs or DIPAs. More hop-focused than some, it is interesting in the way that its hop profile puts it closer to Double Bastard than to the Russian imperial stout. It is worth returning to occasionally, even if it isn't your favorite black DIPA--after all, it set the mark to which all others are measured against.

beagle75, Aug 06, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Have had this brew many times and the consistency amazes me always the same. The beer pours black like a stout with a great lasting head. The smell is a hop explosion like an IPA with a tad of sweetness some roastyness and a mild smoke character. Taste is absolutly what a black IPA should be and the best I've had in the style. I can taste candied hops perfect roasted malt flavors and the best part is the coffee taste is minimal. Will continuously go to this beer to get my fix of dark malt as its excellent and easy to get.

jizfiasco, Aug 03, 2011
Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.