Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros
popery

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

A: Dark brown to black liquid with a creamy mocha head. I like a dark hoppy beer. It's not just another amber IIPA.

S: Good, strong aroma. A mix of German malt and strong hops.

T: Well, it's got that Stone bite. Depending on my mood, this could go a half point higher. Their house yeast is an interesting beast. The hops blend with the german dark malt to produce a spicy, citric flavor that is both intriguing and assertive. The simcoe hops lurk in the mix, and I might slightly prefer a bit more malt and some different hops to mix with the simcoe, but I admit that I'm on board the simcoe bandwagon right now.

M: Wonderfully creamy and lush. It has the feel of a schwarzbier or something but the flavors of a Stone brew. Just great.

D: Very good drinkability. Little alcohol comes through. I'm beginning to prefer hoppy beers with a little bit less bite than Stone provides, but beers like this will bring me back around to the Stone kick-you-in-the-face hop style.

03-31-2009 05:07:52 | More by popery
emerge077

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Thanks to Jason for another treat, this went over well! Review from notes...

Black body, visible irregular lace, great retention. Unholy melange of coffee and pineapple in the nose, pungent west coast hops. Somehow this works! Sweet and luscious grapefruit, very earthy underneath with dark malt taking a backseat, and some nice multi-dimensional hop character. Rich and almost syrupy DIPA body, with hybrid flavors that confound and entertain the palate. Awesome!

03-31-2009 01:19:55 | More by emerge077
surfer4life

4.22/5  rDev 0%

This is a Black IPA poured into a pint glass from a 22oz bomber.

A - Pours dark as night, with a thick brown head. Good Lacing.

S - Burnt hops with a solid malt backbone. Citrus Notes.

T - The roasted malt give the front a very fruity taste but it's almost immediately interupted by the big floral citrusy hop taste that overwhelmes. Great big hop taste.

M - Full bodied and creamy as hell. A delight to the pallet with medium carbonation.

D - Very drinkable, love this as much from the bottle as I did from the tap.

03-29-2009 21:37:38 | More by surfer4life
Alkiser

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

This beer pours a deep dark black with ruby red highlights around the edges. The smell of amarillo and simcoe assualt you from the moment you open and pour the beer. The head is a slightly off white and sticks around throughout the glass.

Hop bitterness dominates the taste with citrus notes throughout the beer. A malt creeps on the end of the beer to attempt to balance this out but so fresh the beer is weighted heavily to the hops.

Tasty but overall low drinkability due to the bitterness of the beer. An experince I would share with a friend again however.

03-28-2009 21:37:03 | More by Alkiser
PerzentRizen

Mississippi

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I am very impressed with this aged DIPA. I would not expect any IPA to withstand 15 months but this one is very very tasty. The first taste was just like Bear Republic Hop Rod Rye!

The first look is a frothy deep dark ale with no similance of an IPA in any respect. This is more along the lines of a very dark brown ale or even a light looking stout! There is some massive malt to this one.

The smell is probably very muted but is quite pleasant. Roasted malt, light touches of coffee, and hop oils.

Taste is knock your socks off good. There is a massive malt flavor then a light hoppy note. This could easily be an overhopped Brown Ale at this point and I'm loving it! This is everything I have come to love about stone! I completely dig this aged DIPA!

Mouthfeel is very rich and decatant. There is a massive malt creaminess that makes this a very thick beer.

Drinkability is decent. I have sipped this one slowly like a barleywine, but it is still very very smooth. Enjoy with aged cheese if you still have one.

03-28-2009 02:42:27 | More by PerzentRizen
Thorpe429

4.72/5  rDev +11.8%

G: Poured into an imperial pint glass. Enjoyed on March 24, 2009.

A: Pours a dark molasses from the bottle with a large, two-finger tan head. The brew was barely transparent as it was being poured, and is opaque in the glass. Plenty of carbonation apparent, and the lacing is tremendous.

S: Very rich malt is the initial scent. Raisins and dates are apparent, but molasses, dark malt, and a tiny bit of brown sugar are the most prevalent here. Excellent. Hops are still there as well.

T: Deliciously rich! Malt and molasses are immediately apparent, as are all of the dark fruit undertones. Some hop bitterness remains. I don't know what this was like when initially released, but it is an absolute delight now, at what I assume is around two years of age?

M: Incredibly smooth with moderate carbonation, creamy mouthfeel, medium to full body, and just the right alcohol pinch.

D: Pretty high abv and a lot to handle. I think a single bomber of this is definitely enough, although it probably won't last in my glass for too long.

EDIT: This is a merged review from an aged bottle of Stone 11th Anniversary.

03-24-2009 23:13:25 | More by Thorpe429
Proteus93

4.05/5  rDev -4%

Bottle was shared by CrellMoset... and a few months ago, at that!

A: Pitch black... Totally opaque. A light tan head. .. More offwhite.

S: Hoppy aromas areall but gone. A LOT of anise. Like snorting a fresh bag full of black licorice. Some notes of bakers chocolate.

T: A bit of hop flavour is there... Citrus rind. Anise again, but a creamy feel that makes it a little unusual. a burnt malt.

M: Creamy, quite full and rich with a big oily body.

D: A nice sipper... I would have liked to try this fresh, but it has held on fairly well.

03-22-2009 15:37:36 | More by Proteus93
maskednegator

3.93/5  rDev -6.9%

Appearance: Black. Tan, frothy head that fades when given a minute or so. Looks like a pretty good stout if you ignore the lace.
Smell: Biscuits, Chistmas tree, limes.
Taste: Grapefruit, roasted malts, toffee, chocolate/orange liqeur.
Mouthfeel: Full bodied, big carbonation.
Drinkability: Not a hint whatsoever of the ~9% abv. Probably not for everyone, but the bitterness does not linger on the palate in the way that a big stout would.
Verdict: I'm totally having a love affair with this beer.

03-20-2009 19:15:57 | More by maskednegator
winky13

4.22/5  rDev 0%

Had this on tap at the Bistro's Double IPA festival and on 3/13 at the brewery. As everyone has already written, this beer messes with you: dark and malty looking but damn it tastes like a double IPA!!

A: Inky black
S: Hops! I love this smell. I could just sit with this glass in front of my face and daydream about these hops. My wife thinks I'm weird.
T: Great, like a DIPA but not. At the Bistro DIPA fest, we really enjoyed this and the Poorman's IPA. I prefer this brew to Stone's Ruination.
M: Pronounced and solid.
D: Can drink this all night. Stone only pours an 8oz glass ($4) and I quickly drained it.

03-18-2009 06:36:15 | More by winky13
MacDomer

3.68/5  rDev -12.8%

Shout out to PretzelCity for hooking me up with this in a trade - thanks a lot!

22 oz. bomber poured into my Duvel tulip. Looks nice - it's pretty dark, if not black, but I see some light coming through the edges. The head is pretty pillowy. Some light tan lacing clings to the glass. The nose made me say wow right away. Not so much a "this is great" wow, but a "this is interesting" wow. There's pine and citrus, and orange, some fruity sweetness, and then comes in the roastiness at the end with coffee tones, and light caramel malt. When I taste it, I can tell that it's not fresh (which I wasn't expecting of course), but it still is pretty hoppy. It's a bit sweet, prickly, with some grassiness, then comes in the roasty chocolate character - it's quite interesting. I'm not sure if I'm really into it, but it sure is fun to try. Pretty good overall, quite unique. I was thinking that I'd pick up a Sublimely Self Righteous if I come across one, since I'm really curious to try this one fresh.

03-18-2009 04:03:39 | More by MacDomer
brdc

Wisconsin

4.6/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bottled September 2007. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Dark brown, reddish highlights, nice tan head that holds well, a lot of lacing.
Aroma is obviously different than some reviews as this is comparatively older, but well kept in a controlled cellar. Malty sweetness is starting to come upfront, mostly with caramel notes, but the herbal, grassy hoppiness is still impressively obvious, and it eventually dominates the aroma that also shows fruity and flowery notes. Very nice.
Medium bodied, it has a nice balance, and flavors evolve from an initial caramel sweetness, brown sugar, breadiness, followed by fruitiness that is mostly citric, and eventually a very nice grassy hop bite, that if not an assault as described in the fresh sample, it is quite noticeable and eventually dominates.
Very impressive, and I was very happy to hear it will come now as a regular. Unsure if it is better fresh as some mentioned, but cannot compare as I did not have it. As it stands now, it is an amazing beer - I will probably age it again when I get my hands on it.

03-14-2009 00:18:04 | More by brdc
mjl21

4.43/5  rDev +5%

22 ounce bottle poured into a Chimay glass. Enjoy by date is listed as 5/13/09. Comes in at 8.7%.

A-Pours black with a fluffy one finger tan head. Some bubble clusters stick on the inside of the glass. Lots of lace.

S-Fresh citrus hops with some pine in there. Not getting the roasted malt or alcohol.

T-Citrus comes through, particularly lemon. The citrus hops coat quickly leaving some lingering bitterness. Tastes of roasted malt and chocolate can de detected on the back of the palate.

M-Medium bodied with good carbonation.

D-Where's the alcohol? This is very easy to drink. Should have bought more than one.

I really enjoyed this beer. I had the 11th when it first came out and I loved it. I love how this beer does not taste like you would think based on its black color.

03-11-2009 17:42:15 | More by mjl21
djaeon

3.28/5  rDev -22.3%

I couldn't find this at my local liquor store, so I bought a bottle on my latest trip up to Stone. I read that this is a repackaging of their 11th Anniversary dark IPA, so I knew what to expect when drinking this one.

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass with a one finger, light tan head. Looks like a very dark, opaque brown color. You can't see through it.

Smell: All I really smell here is hopps with a citrus undertone.

Taste: Lots and lots of hopps. I feel the bite in the back/sides of my tongue, and bitter hopps and citrus are really all I taste.

Mouthfeel: Except for the bite mentioned above, It feels pretty smooth in the mouth. Perfectly carbonated out of the bottle.

Drinkability: I started drinking it right out of the fridge, and it was a little tough. As it starts to get closer to room temperature, it gets a little easier to drink.

Serving type: Bomber

03-11-2009 00:13:30 | More by djaeon
RidiculedDisplay

3.8/5  rDev -10%

On cask at Beachwood BBQ - a treat to find this on cask, so I figured I'd review it this time even though I've already had it on tap here before they put the cask on (oh how I love Beachwood).

Appearance: Full three finger vanilla bean colored head, which is quite impressive, but settles to a quarter-finger after a time. Lacing makes this one take a bit of a hit, as it is pretty spotty and fleeting, not lasting too long, but it exists, at least. Body is jet black.

Smell: Pine, grapefruit, perceptible alcohol, sugary malt base. I swear I smell banana on the back end of this beer. Who knew? There's something, I suspect, about the hops combining with the roasted malt that creates that impression. This is incredibly (incredibly) hoppy smelling, and has a bit too much alcohol on the nose for me to rave about. Additionally, the "Black" aspect of it is lost, for the most part, with the exception of my aforementioned banana theory - it's basically a hop bomb that looks black, nose-wise.

Taste: Whoa, banana! Like, literally, I taste banana on the front end most prominently. I guess that's a sign that the roasted malt is asserting itself here better. Still, it's also a sign that the roastiness is competing, desperately, with the hoppiness, and mostly losing. Pine, lemon, grapefruit citrus hop flavors follow. Some caramel on the back end. This is a hop monster, still, but I found this more balanced and more interesting than the nose.

Mouthfeel: I wrote in my notes, "it's a cask pour." Enough said I guess - it's creamy, smooth, carbonated fine, and room temperature, what one would expect.

Drinkability: This is so damn hoppy that it takes a while to put one down. Compared to the only other "Black IPA" I've had so far, Warrior Black IPA by Pizza Port, this is like a Double IPA versus a "Regular" IPA," but not in necessarily a good way. I think when experimenting with this new style of sorts, more brewers are going to have to balance out the stout flavors and the IPA flavors. It may be an IPA first and a stout second, alright, fair enough, but still. Anyway, I congratulate Stone on pioneering the style, though, this is getting a TON of praise from people I've met in person and on BA.

03-10-2009 00:20:11 | More by RidiculedDisplay
Halcyondays

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

On cask at Beachwood BBQ, the re-release of Stone 11th,

A: Pours black, with a creamy off-tan head, good retention. Soapy lacing.

S: Not getting huge notes here, light scent especially for a cask offering. Some chocolate and roasted malt.

T: Dark chocolate hits immediately, but is soon overwhelmed by sharp pine needle bitterness that sticks and tingles on the tongue. Roasted malt is an undercurrent, though the hops tend to dominate much more than I remember in the 11th, perhaps it is due to the serving style.

M: Smooth, relatively light-bodied/light carbonation from the cask. Sticky resin with a long aftertaste.

D: An interesting beer to have on cask, another solid offering from Stone, a tasty imperial pint to be had if this beer is found cask-conditioned.

03-09-2009 20:15:54 | More by Halcyondays
beerpadawan

4.43/5  rDev +5%

I loved this beer from the draft on each of the three or four occasions I've sipped it. This was the first bottle I sampled. It was largely the same, though I felt the citrus blast was a little more tame than I recalled from the draft pours. It could be that I'm getting used to whiffing grapefruits from a very dark beer.

The hops were a little less intense up front, as well. Though overall consistent and very enjoyable. It's a big beer but quite drinkable (for a fan of hops at least).

It definitely sits comfortably in the Stone brand, tasting much like a double IPA but with some pleasing roasted notes from the malt.

03-03-2009 19:37:41 | More by beerpadawan
htomsirveaux

3.98/5  rDev -5.7%

22 oz. bomber tried 13 Apr 2008.

Extra large thick brown head. Very dark brown color. Strong aroma of resiny pine, spicy. Starts with a lot of spice, nutmeg and cloves. Deeply sweet and roasty. Despite the strong hop aroma, the resin develops slowly but becomes strong through the finish. Finishes bittersweet. Medium body. Alcohol nicely warming.

Nicely done, would get this again.

03-02-2009 03:29:21 | More by htomsirveaux
BeerManDan

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured a very dark brown with a medium amount of tan foam and a fair amount of lace on the side of the glass. The smell of hop's with a hint of roasted malts was evident on the aroma. The taste was of a bitter hoppy flavor with a mild sweet roasted malt flavor also. There might just be a touch of chocolate, but, more of a roasted malts flavor. Nice balance of soft bitter/sweet on the finish of the American Strong Ale.

03-02-2009 00:26:25 | More by BeerManDan
mmmbeer

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

22 oz. bomber, released 9/10/07, sampled six months after that; brewed to 20.5 plato with "lots" of IBUs. It's a few shades away from pitch black, with a few dregs, three full fingers of khaki head and some nice lacing. Little sweet in the nose, with fruity alcohol, pine and citrus fruits (orange, grapefruit). Roasty and quite hoppy on the palate, with coffee, crystal malts, and medium to high bitterness. I can already taste some age on this one. The body is smooth, a little prickly, with a dry, roasty/chocolate finish. A pretty decent beer, unique and a pleasure to try. I'm picking up the black IPA thing, but I could stand for more hop flavor to help it along.

02-25-2009 22:31:42 | More by mmmbeer
PeprSprYoFace

4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

On tap at Down Town Johnny Browns.

Pours a dark black but not viscous like a stout. Nice light tan head that stayed the entire time. Lacing all the way down the glass.

Smells of dark malts but alot of the hop smells are absent. You can smell it a little but not much.

Tastes smooth. Almost like a cask ale. The bitter malts combined with the hops taste very good. With the fading of the hops it is actually still quite a good beer.

Mouthfeel is really smooth and low carbonation. Almost none but it goes well with the beer and tastes almost like it is on cask. Tasty.

Overall a very tasty brew that I would try again for sure just to see how it is aging.

02-22-2009 03:43:13 | More by PeprSprYoFace
PoolhouseRebel

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from bomber into my Stone RIS Tulip. Pours brown and slightly transparent but sits in the glass almost black. Hold it to the light and a bit of reddish brown comes through.

Smells of big citrus hops right off the bat, grapefruit, like their Ruination IPA, and with a little agitation I get some toasted chocolate behind caramel malt.

Got this in a trade so who knows how it was stored and what it went through en route from Cali to Jersey. I also burnt my tongue on some pizza earlier which may affect my palate, but as you can see, I am not a patient person. Taste was definitely full blown double IPA from the start, as I keep drinking the dark malt starts coming though but its still all hops front to back, start to finish. Actually come to think of it, there is more bitterness in the mouth than actual hop flavor.

Mouthfeel and drinkability are great. Sometimes IPAs, even for a hop head like me, get to be a little much but this dark malt is a great balance. Definitely a unique brew and I'm definitely looking forward to Stone's new Sublimely Self Righteous Ale which is apparently the same recipe but hopefully a little more fine tuned which would make this beer a favorite.

02-19-2009 01:34:47 | More by PoolhouseRebel
drtth

4.53/5  rDev +7.3%

Lightly chilled and poured from a 22 oz bottle into a Duvel glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically. This beer is from a case purchased in Dec of 07 and so has been aging gracefully in the basement since then. (This case replaced the one that did not survive long enough to be aged :-)

Appearance: Dark, dark, brown, almost black like a stout. The head disappears quickly leaving some lacing and a small rim of bubbles around the glass. There is also a spotty film of small bubbles on the surface.

Smell: Dark, almost burnt caramel and chocolate malt smell. Not much citrus from the hops left to speak of even though this was a hop bomb when it started out, rather the grapefruit smell of the hops has been dominated by that of the various dark roasted malts.

Taste: the floral, citrus notes of the hops has been moved into the background by the bitterness from the dark roasted malts. The flavor is rich and strong, like strong dark chocolate, but there are hints of sweetness. The finish or aftertaste, which goes on and on, is that of almost burnt malt mixed with dark chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Thinly carbonated, medium bodied with a smooth feel in the mouth.

Drinkability: Highly drinkable as a when it was new this beer is still highly drinkable even as the hops have faded to allow the strong rich dark malts to come forward.

Note: 10 Jun, 2010
I first reviewed this beer when it was the 11th Anniversary Ale. Tonight I finished my last bottle of that brewing. It is still just fine but I'm not convinced it would have held for too many more months in the bottle. The dark roasted malts now give it a slightly bitter, almost burnt taste but there is definitely some bright citrus flavor from the hops floating around in there in the background. All in all I'm quite pleased with how well this bottle has done despite the fact it was not cellared under ideal conditions.

02-18-2009 02:20:59 | More by drtth
Pagzzz

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

22 oz. bottle, purchased from beverages 4 less in Santee. Sampled in Stone IRS tulip glass.

Appearance: Inky black with slight auburn hue right around the edges. Looks like an RIS. Tan head builds, dissipates quickly but leaves nice lacing. crystal clear (what I can see)

Aroma: Big citrus hop aroma. Blind, smells of Ruination but with a slight burnt caramel hint. Citrusy hops, some pine notes. Definitively IPA characteristics, but just a little roast or chocolate character (de-husked black malt must be used). Little more ester character than other Stone IPA's, slightly English-like. No diacetyl.

Flavor: Firm, bold american hop bitterness dominates the taste. Sharp roasted malt flavor suggested, but not featured. Slight caramel or molasses character, but not overpowering. Drinks like a big IPA, showing very few dark roast characteristics. Much like a Schwarzbier emulates a Pilsner, but looks like a Dunkel. No diacetyl. Malt is overpowered by hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, medium body that finishes quite dry. Alcohol is evident, maybe a little hot, but it's young. This could definitely get interesting after a couple of years. Could use a touch more body to bring out malt character for some balance.

Overall, a very interesting beer with IPA-centric qualities and some subterfuge thrown in with the dark appearance. Not super drinkable, but given high hopping rate and big alcohol character, it isn't meant to be a session beer.

02-13-2009 05:28:47 | More by Pagzzz
drxandy

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

22oz from the cellar to tulip glass on 02/07/09, pours a nice opaque black, slight hints of red in light, tan head eventually fades to lacing.

smells of deep malt, creamy, faded hop presence is still lively, barley, alcohol heat

taste is surprisingly of hops right off the bat, the way the hops have faded is excellent, thick delicious grapefruit citrus, piney, excellent weight, roasty malts follow through and have blended smoothly and creamily, slight cocoa/coffee, bready, very slight sweetness rounded out by the oily hop bitterness. Age hasn't really changed this brew all that much so far from fresh other than put the hops down a touch, now it drinks like a delicious barleywine

mouthfeel is oily and bitter, excellent flavors and weight, extremely drinkable, alcohol is noticeable but isn't overpowering

can't wait to see this as a regular release, it's too good to leave as a one time brew

02-07-2009 19:53:11 | More by drxandy
paytoplay

3.7/5  rDev -12.3%

Cask at O'Briens SD. Funky, blast of hops on the nose. A bit of sweetness, very complex, herb and vegital. Extremely long length. Color was black with a brown standard type cask head. Hops really dominate and the malt create a unique brew. Much different from the 11th bottle enjoyed a week prior. Interested to see how current bottles compare.

02-06-2009 17:27:25 | More by paytoplay
Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.