Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

8/1/2010

Poured into my Stone IRS snifter. The beer is very dark brown with a monstrous frothy two finger beige head with excellent retention and scattered lacing.

The aroma is pine resin, grapefruit rind & flesh, and earth (damp forest soil, mineral, desperation). Malt exhibits a moderate roast and a slight toast that compliment the hop profile nicely. Light chocolate notes are evident as well.

The flavor displays an upper moderate level of bitterness up front with aggressive pine resin and grapefruit rind notes. The light roasted malt profile is a welcome addition to the lupulin onslaught. The finish is aggressively hopped with big alcohol notes, a light roast/toasted malt profile, and lingering pine and grapefruit.

The mouthfeel is creamy and sticky. Carbonation is at a moderate level. Great mouthfeel.

A very nice Indian San Diego Dark Hoppy Pale Ale.

HopHead84, Aug 02, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance:
Deep dark brownish-red color, see through. Awesome creamy head, lacing looks great on the glass.

Smell:
Strong piney hops in the nose, earthly, robust, touch of burnt toasted malts. Smells really great!!

Taste/Mouthfeel:
Piney hops up front, a little citrus and floral, along with semi-burnt toasted malts. Some earthly in the middle, I could detect some touch of dark fruit and pepper. Dry finish with nice roasted coffee aftertaste. Chewy/creamy mouthfeel, carbonation feels nice on my tongue. Nice warmth feeling from the alcohol.

Drinkability:
Very drinkable.

mjurney, Aug 01, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

A: poured black as night with a finger of head and left lots of blotchy lacing on the glass.

S: I got some nice piney hops at first whiff with caramel malts that are kinda roasty. It also seemed to have a little citrus notes with faint underlying booze aromas.

T: upfront was a blend of chocolate and piney hops with a good malty backbone that had grapefruit to enhance the bitterness. There was a little dark fruit presence with slight booze notes .

M: the brew was medium body with a good amount of carbonation that had a slight sweet but piney hop bitter finish.

D: overall the beer was quite delicious and drank good but to be honest it taste very similar to other stone brews I've had in the past, there is some type of signiture flavor in most of their brews that I can't pin point; oh well.

Gobzilla, Jul 31, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -16.4%

Darker than anything I've ever had from Stone minus their imperial stout. I was expecting a little lighter color. It's nearly porter in color, but a little bit lighter, sort of red. The head was nice and stayed around for a while. The taste was good with a bitter old ale flavor. It reminds me a bit of the german alt style. It is a little fruity with hops but mostly exhibitsa solid malt flavor; caramel, raisin, with a bite of peppery spice. There is very little hops in the scent. It barely has any scent at all, but definitely more malt than hops. The aftertaste is good, and the beer is smooth. I would not guess the alcohol content as the bite is minimal compared to some beers over 8%. Not my favorite Stone, but worth a try, especially if you like this style.

bheilman, Jul 31, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -8.8%

22oz bomber emptied into my largest snifter.

A. Pours very dark with a hint of caramel brown on the outside. A soft creamy white/brown head. Light with decent retention.

S. Smells of chocolate, pine tree, malts, alcohol. Very nice.

T. Very roasty toasty malts. Some real bitter chocolate. Reminds of a stout to some extent. A nice bitter finish... almost of espresso. More hops.

M. A long bitter aftertaste of hops and burnt coffee.

D. Not the easiest of beers to throw back, but a bomb... no problem. But one is enough. Lots of alcohol.

elliot23, Jul 29, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured out of a 22 oz Bomber bottle into a pint glass...

Nearly completely black with a nice foam head on it. Residual foam has stayed present even some 20m minutes after pouring and drinking most of the bear!

Nice dark roast/caramel nose from the malt and as is trademark from Stone....a super hoppy nose! Hard to define the hops for me, but I do get the ever present citrus type notes.

The taste is very nice! Not overpowering to me, but you sure can tell that this beer has flavor to last! Obviously a good bit of roasted flavor and a nice nutty flavor as well.

Great carbonation and a great mouthfeel!

I could drink a lot of beer, aside from the higher ABV. This is a style that I like...be it called a strong ale or a CDA in the new parlance!

denflyr, Jul 26, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

Bomber, two goblets (wifey).

A deep dark brown, with a nice tan head. Head stays as a thin layer throughout the drinking experience.

Interesting chocolaty nose that really melds well with the spicy hops. Mild levels of roasted malt are involved here. Promising to say the least. The taste is a veritable plethora of experiences. Roasty, coffee and chocolate up front, but quickly overcome by a strong bitter hop bite that digs in deep. Sweet dry bitter and warm...yes they all battle it out but it does dry out in the finish with the bitter hop bite lingering on the tongue for a bit.

Nice big body, smooth and so drinkable. Love this beer!

ZimZamZoom, Jul 25, 2010
3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured into a weizen glass...

Looks like a can of Coke was poured into a tall glass - head lasted about a minute and a half, dissolving into a lace that stayed on the glass.

As dark as this is, I was expecting a malty smell. Wrong. I'm getting a very hoppy smell. Don't get me wrong, the malty aroma is there, but rather faint.

Drinking this ale, I'm hit with pine and grapefruit tastes. If I had to guess what kind of hops were used for this, I think I'd go with Centennial; I could easily be wrong, but it's hoppy, and it's tasty. I also get some raisin behind the hoppiness. Delicious.

I had to give mouthfeel a 3.5 because the hops stay in your mouth forever. Other than that, nicely done.

I'm surprised that an ale this dark was so hoppy - that said, I could definitely have more than one at a time. It went quite well with my grilled cheese sandwich.

bogus564, Jul 24, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -19.9%

The darkest of ruby hues. Virtually black unless back-lit. A pillowy, moderately thick rise of buttercreme suds sticks around a bit before sagging into the ooze, and it laces well even afterward.
The aroma is largely pine. Char, ash, cocoa, and coffee gain traction over time. There are some interplay moments that suggest spearment, vanilla,black cherry and burnt peach. Those are the most interesting, but also the most repressed.
My first impression is probably my most accurate: This tastes like someone extinguished a cigar and/or dumped spent coffee grounds into a pint of Ruination. The roasty, smoky, ashy, blackness of this beer is at odds with the singularly piney bitter aspects of the hopping. There are teases of earth, black cherry, caramel, toast, wintergreen. But at its heart, it's char and pine. And nothing else matters.
The blanketing body is lightened by the steady trickles of CO2. The build could hardly be more appropriate.
But this doesn't do a thing for me. Out of whack, off-balanced, and simple-seeming to boot.
I love hoppy porters and stouts when there is some sense of cohesion between the big malt and hop flavors, but that's altogether absent here.

cokes, Jul 24, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

pours a barely translucent brown/black with a nice sized tan head that sticks around a while and laces really well.

aroma is very heavily piney. some fresh cut grass, cigar smoke, some dark chocolate and a hint of sweetened dark fruits come through as well.

taste is a bit stronger in the malts than the aroma indicated. some burnt coffee, smoke, and bakers chocolate give way to a very grassy, piney and earthy hop profile that lingers a bit. an IPA hop profile with a roasty stout malt profile- opposite ends of the spectrum, but they work beautifully together. bitterness and some citrus also appear as it warms and push the hops to the forefront once again, as some drying cocoa powder finishes this one out.

medium bodied with a pretty high carbonation level. creamy yet dry on the swallow.

oh so smooth. this one goes down easily with no indication of the 8.7% ABV. not traditional at all, which may throw some people off, but it works for me. This one will be copied and imitated over and over again.

silentjay, Jul 22, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A nice bubbly tan head sits atop the dark opaque beer.

Smells were earth, burnt caramel, pine, and grass.

The taste was decent. I'll be flogged for this I'm sure, but I'm generally not much of a Stone fan. I like their IPA, but that's pretty much the only one I come back to from time to time. This beer was no exception. It had a nice burnt caramel malt and molases taste, and a dry lingering bitterness. But the rest of it reminded me of every other Stone brew I've had. In a way that's good due to brand recognition in the taste, but in a way it's also bad. It feels tired and uninspired to me. I'd like to see Stone (and a few other breweries out there) mix things up and experiment with more than just the malts. It seems to me (and I'm going just on taste, not on recipes) that this brewery and a few others stick to the same hop and/or yeast formulas.

There, I guess that's out of my system. I like their IPA a lot though. This... Meh. It's not by any means a bad brew, it's not something I would deter anyone from trying, just not something I'd go back to since I feel like I can pick up just about any Stone brew (barring their RIS) and get the same taste. I like it their IPA the best.

This review is all over the place I think I'm gonna leave it at that.

donteatpoop, Jul 21, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -10.4%

A - poured very dark with a one-finger head

S - smells of dark fruits, caramel malt, and some grassy hops

T- taste follows the nose. There are some dark fruits with caramel malt backbone that are pushed aside to make room for the grassy and grapefruity hops.

M - medium body that goes down smoothly

D - this was an all right beer. I guess I wasn't expecting the hops aspect of the beer, which was fine, but it caught me off guard. This isn't the best Stone beer I have had, but it was still pretty decent.

birchstick, Jul 20, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +1.4%

22oz bottle served in Chimay goblet.

A: Pours nearly black, a very dark brown. Nice creamy, khaki colored head looks good but lacks retention. Sticky bits of lace cling to the glass.

S: Really intense fresh pine aroma. Hidden behind the piney hops is a nice chocolately roasted malt scent.

T: Fabulous balance of flavors. Coffee and bitter chocolate. Creamy sweetness. Slight citrus and strong pine. Citrus becomes more prominent and the beer warms. Bitterness from the malt and hops comes together in the end to dry everything out. Lingering cocoa powder in the aftertaste.

M: Medium body. Carbonation fits. Could stand to be a little more viscous.

D: Finishing a bomber is no problem. Very interesting flavors. Alcohol warmth nowhere to be found.

SSR is listed as a Strong Ale here, but I'm sure most will agree that this fits into the new sub-genre of Cascadian Dark Ale or India Black Ale or Black IPA. Whatever it is, I like it. I'm really looking forward to more brewers making beers like this one. I think Deschutes Hop in the Dark is a little better, but since I can't get it in PA, SSR will be my go to in this class.

AdamGarcia, Jul 17, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +14.5%

Bought one of these heading down to the family camp in Texas... hadn't seen this Stone offering in LA yet. My best choice of glassware was an oversized wine glass, but I figure that should work well for this style.

The beer poured a dark, dark brown with a really creamy off-white head. Looks more like a stout.

There's a fantastic hoppy aroma, smells like a pine forest!

If there was one term I'd use to describe this, it would be like drinking a fresh Christmas tree. My friends that I let try it were overwhelmed by the hops, but I loved it.

Great beer!

theboozecruise, Jul 16, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into an Imperial Pint. (Spilt half on the carpet immediately after writing the notes for this review)

A- Opaque, almost black, faint hints of reddish brown hue along the edges. Two finger light brown sugar head. Okay lacing.

S- Grassy, earthy hops, pine, grapefruit, mandarin oranges, faint toasty malts.

T- More of the malt get me first, than the piney hops let you know they want to party too. Earthy goodness and slight burnt coffee.

M- Chewy, smooth, creamy. A lot heavier than I was expecting.

D- Heavier than I was expecting but not too heavy. The alcohol did not shine through at all. Every sip was more magical than the last!

korguy123, Jul 14, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -8.8%

Deep dark brown, clear with a tan head. Lacing is good.

Toffee like malt and spicy hops(lots of em too).

A bit burnt malt, and a lot of grapefruit and spice like hop flavor.

Medium bodied and creamy with a dry finish.

Somewhat drinkable.

A yummy beer but a mite too Hoppy for the style. I like a more malty strong ale, but still good.

ryanonline, Jul 13, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -24.2%

Dark bitter ale with no hint of fruitiness.

Very dark brown, looks inviting. Doesn't taste dark, however. Very austere, no hint of sweetness in the malt. more like a hint of soy sauce. Hops jump right on without much aromatic foreplay and keep at it. Seems surprisingly light-bodied for a strong, dark ale. Has a very odd taste of metal at the end, an edge on the teeth.

I think this is one of my least favorite Stone ales. For the hard core IPA drinker, for sure.

mactrail, Jul 12, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +4.3%

Appearance> Dark brown, with a chocolate malt head. Big bubbles to the froth. Head dissipates slowly and leaves good lacing.

Smell> Leads with a burnt malt nose. Alcohol and hops also present.

Taste> Salty, full flavor. Outrageous earth hops changing quickly to a HEYOUGE burnt hang that lasts for days. This beer is sublimely a Stone... it packs a wallop but has you picking yourself off the floor begging for more.

Mouf>thinner than I expected, but not too shabs.

Drinkability> Well, I can't have too much, but darn I would definitely buy another sometime. Quite tasty.

1759Girl, Jul 12, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -4%

Brought home a growler from Stone Brewery. Opened a week after it was bottled.

A - Very dark brown. small brown head that dissipates quickly, leaving a few scattered bubbles. almost no lace.

S - Earthy, coffee, a bit grassy, characteristic stone hop smell.

T - A lot of different flavors at once. The sweetness and floralness of the hops is wonderfully balanced by a dark, malty flavor. Kind of a "sugar with your coffee" flavor.Toasty aftertaste with some lingering hop bitterness.

M - Almost no carbonation - not sure if this is typical. Maybe a bad seal on the growler? The flavor is very present because of the low carbonation.

D - Very smooth. Almost slides down the throat, but I have to let it linger in the mouth each sip to savor the flavor.

We had this last year at Stone, and it seemed more vibrant then. Still, a great beer with a very interesting mix of flavors.

timonan, Jul 11, 2010

Stone has some great beers so I figured it is time to try this one...

A: Looks awesome. It poured great. Super dark with hints of ruby highlights hidden around the edges. A thick 1 inch off-white almond head. Could not be better.

S: Stone brews are usually very earthy and the nose on this one definitely follows suit. I get some earthy bitter hop upfront blended with some grapefruit bite. Hints of booze and citrus hidded on the backend. Good.

T: Hmm, it's earthy, but not as earthy as I had expected judging by the nose. I get some sweet orange citrus upfront blended with some grapefruit which is quickly followed by a nice earthy hop bite. Hints of booze hidden well on the backend. Good.

M: A thicker than I would have liked for this style. Leaves some good thick flavors on your palate. Decent.

D: Once you get the earthy hop bite down, this one's good to go. Good.

All in all, this was a good brew. The thing that's always intrigued me about Stone is that they make solid brews. Beer that's usually very good, but never great. This beer definitely falls into that category for me. This is a very good brew, but not great. I'd say you definitely should try this at least once.

steve8robin, Jul 11, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass. Up front I should note that after having Hop In The Dark from Deschutes, Cascadian Dark Ale/Black IPA is rapidly becoming my fave style beer.

A: Dark, almost opaque blackness. Held up to the light you get a little penetration, but that's minimal. Good lacing on a two finger head that died down but remained "scummy" on the top.

S: Mind f*ck right up front with a lot of hop and citrus notes. Anyone expecting something porter or stout-esque should be be getting the clue now. This is an altogether different type of beast. Grassy tones, with barely a hint of malt.

T: The taste ... bitter citrus meets a great blend of darkly roasted malt. Hops all over the place, but some cereal notes, too. It's kind of like drinking grapefruit juice and eating toast. Beer is for breakfast!

M: Oily, but slides off the tongue easily. Doesn't have the coating factor you might expect from a dark beer. Finishes more sweet than dry, but not by much.

D: I like this beer. I like this style. At 8% ABV this beer would kick me in the groin after more than a few, but I could see myself willingly going there, given the awesome blend of hops and malt in this beer. Well done, Stone.

MenloBeer, Jul 09, 2010

I know going into this review my words can never pay this beer homage.

That said, I was lucky enough to find this beer on tap for my first tasting of it. I've since bought it by the case in bottle form. It's not quite as good in bottle as on tap, but that can be expected with any beer.

SSRA pours a very dark brown. By eye it is almost black. Trying to peer through the liquid into a light or even the sun is useless, as you cannot see through it. It has almost 2 fingers worth of a tan-white head that recedes somewhat quickly, but laces with every sip I take.

It smells sweet and roasted initially. The malts smells of chocolate and caramel. Further looking into it, you can get a scent of the faint hops smell behind the malts. The hops smell somewhat grassy.

The taste is superfluous. It's very dark and smokey upfront with a very tasty bitter finish. It's like Stone combined 5 different styles of beer into one and made it work somehow. It's smokey like a porter, thick like a stout, clean as a lager, and as bitter and refreshing as an IPA. (Due in part to the 80ish IBU's I'm sure).

The beer is well carbonated. It does linger a lot.. and suffice it to say I think any beer you taste after having this will be ruined.

The overall drinkability for me is excellent. I can drink SSRA after SSRA and never tire of it. The only problem being is now that I know what SSRA is and how it tastes.. I have to plan ahead of time to make sure to drink it last if I'm drinking other beers. Even it's after taste overpowers a lot of brews.

This beer may not fit everyone's palate, but I see it as a must try. Definitely my #1 favorite beer of all time. Right in front of Pliny the Elder at #2.

begforme4484, Jul 09, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours opaque mahogany brown in color with a 1 finger creamy tan head that faded quickly, but left good lacing sliding down the glass. Looks like a stout, but then the sweet hop aroma comes through like an IPA. This is a good identity crisis since the beer looks good and smells good, even though the look and smell are two different beer styles.

Smells of floral hops, citrus hops, sweet roasted malt, orange peel, lemon, grapefruit, caramel, syrup and some wet wheat bread. Very sweet, pungent and hoppy nose overall that gives off whiffs of barrel aging and light alcohol, almost like a rum or bourbon with hops in it. It's actually a very pleasant aroma that just reeks of a smooth drink.

A smooth drink this is indeed: tastes pretty sweet up front with sweet roasted malt and caramel mixed with the floral and citrus hops, followed by pine cones, grapefruit, orange peel, coriander, toffee, faint brown sugar, mild hop spices, roasted grains, a hint of pepper, and maybe even some cocoa or chocolate. This is complex and pretty well balanced for an overall sweet beer, which has enough hop and citrus flavor to even things out. The aroma is hoppy, but the taste is dominated by sweetness mixed together with a variety of hop sensations; this is a really nice mix.

Mouthfeel is smooth a creamy with a stout like feel on the tongue, a medium to heavy body that shows both the hops and malts present, with very light to no carbonation and a slight hoppy bitter spice pucker to finish it off. The finish is on the bitter side and as dry as chalk, which was very nice and to my liking.

Drinkability for me was very high. An excellent beer that gets better as it warms and is well rounded with a nice level of alcohol, so that one 22 oz bomber is perfect for an evening of enjoyment and a decent buzz. I highly recommend this beer, which I enjoyed immensely. I'm a big fan of Stone Brewing and this beer did not disappoint.

6/8/2012-had an aged 11th Anniversary Ale from September 2007 and it was even smoother than the other bottles I've had, it aged very well. The flavor and nose were full of sweet oaky notes and vanilla, with hints of smoked peat moss, molasses, brown sugar and booze like rum or bourbon. The sweetness ruled the taste, but there was still a lingering smoky bitterness after each sip that left cocoa, toffee and dark chocolate notes. The aging tamed the hops but really brought out the rich malty flavor, which to me was a very welcomed change. This beer still throws a punch as one bomber got me banged up. If you are storing one of these then I suggest cracking it open as it was excellent.

CHickman, Jul 09, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Poured in a tulip glass black and beautiful with a one finger lingering head and a ton of lacing...bad ass lookin beer.

smell is a lot like a big huge double IPA nothing like a dark ale - wow! so freaking surprising, the hoppiest dark ale ive ever smelled.

taste is so amazing, really really hop dominated with some bittersweet STRONG coffee notes and a crazy extremely bitter finish...a little bit of alcohol warmth throughout - crazy crazy beer.

mouthfeel is nice, but can't score well for drinkability - this is one of the harshest, least drinkable beers i've ever had, albeit both delicious and interesting, but DAMN! this thing is freaking gnarly - could not drink a whole bomber of this beer, no freaking way.

benclimbs, Jul 07, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Excellent creation from Stone. I'm not one for 'balancing' hoppy beers with more malt, as I think it turns them into a barleywine with a lot of hops (I wish there were more beers like Blind Pig). But the high hoppiness combined with a big dose of dark malts works to create something new, different and delicious here. Only fault is that the alcohol is pretty noticeable and gets in the way.

BikeChef, Jul 07, 2010
Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.