Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros
3.26/5  rDev -22.7%

Pours a dark stout like black with a generous head. Aroma is slightly malty and wort like. Taste is very similar, a bit raw tasting with a bit of grapefruit like hoppiness. I really wanted to like this beer but in the end, one is enough for me and I won't be revisiting it. It was a bit of a chore to finish the entire bottle.

4.54/5  rDev +7.6%

I had no idea what I was getting when I poured this beer. I knew nothing about it. It came out of the bottle dark and hoppy and I smiled, and I said to myself what in the fucking hell is this?

Pours stout-ish with a finger and a half of dense, tan head that recedes down to a ring with an island in the middle. One of the best smelling beers I've ever had. It smells like a malty hop soaked in grapefruit juice and it tastes like a hoppy grapefruit. When I aerate it in my mouth I get bitter, dark fruits. I love it. It's viscous and it finishes sweet and dry. It's a strong, interesting beer but there is nothing offensive about it at all. I'll take pleasure in pushing it on friends who are in the mood for something new. Very worthy of my first review here.

4.47/5  rDev +5.9%

On-tap at Smokin' Joes.

A- Body is a nearly opaque black hue. When held up to the dim light some brown comes through around the edges. Served with a 1/2 finger or so off-white head which fades to a thin collar-traces of lacing are left behind in the glass.

S- An assault of grapefruit and pine come through initially with a much weaker, but still present roasted malt backbone.

T- Like many stone brews the flavor upfront is big. It offers a lot of white grapefruit flavor with a substantial roasted malt backbone. The hops are definitely the highlight of the flavor-but the dark roasted malt backbone isn't hiding. The finish adds a good amount of refreshing pine-as the bitterness builds. The lingering hop bitterness is moderate in strength and does not become cloying- the roasted malt flavors linger for about the same amount of time but are slightly milder.

M- Medium to high tingly carbonation with a medium to heavy weight, full, oily body.

D- In summary-This is a very hoppy black IPA-I wouldn't say its balanced-but the malt is not hiding. And with anything IPA I expect it to be very hoppy. This brew is pretty aggressive and very good overall. ABV is completely hidden by the flavors this brew exceeds my expectations for this hybrid style.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Purchased this at bootleggers in Thopsham, ME. Glad to see this there as was a nice tasting beer. If there was ever a beer that could be clasified as black IPA this would be it. Dark black and lots of hops this beer has it and should be a must have for anyones portfolio.

3.77/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours a deep opaque black with an ample tan head. Generally malty in nature with bitterness coming from what seems to be roasted and chocolate malts. Taste is similar with a chocolaty malt flavor and bitterness some coffee notes as well. Not overpoweringly chocolate but definitely good. Feel is smooth and medium bodied, with a slight fullness. Carbonation is light and tickles the senses well. Overall a very good beverage.

3.05/5  rDev -27.7%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a duvel chalice.

Pours dark almost pitch black with little brown head. Very pretty.

Recedes to a ring that sticks throughout. Lots lacing is left behind.

Nose is huge hops. I pick up all kinds. They are strong as hell but the floral hops smell pretty good.

Taste is just as expected by the nose. Lots of herbal, grassy, piney, resinous hops.

I am not a hop head and this was over the top hops for me. It hurts to drink it. I got so lost in the hops I could not find the malts for salvation.

The body was medium and it could have used some more carbonation.

It was hard to finish. And the herbal hops kept repeating on me for the rest of the night. I have loved most of the beers from Stone but this one was the first one I actually disliked. Almost a drain pour.

Better luck next time.

2.86/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to gford217 for this bottle, one of two remaining survivors from an epic SS08. The final one, one of my prizes, is in the fridge & will be going down soon, too.

After four days of crappy beer in Lisbon, I really didn't need a beer to top of the jet lag tonight, but hell, I need to recall what real beer tastes like (though that port wine is really good!). This pours dark, with a foul flickering, deep red running the corners. Smells...oxidized. Oh oh.

And it is. Stone XI hasn't aged well to my palate, although my wife is quite enjoying it, so I know it's not the bottle that's gone bad. There are chimes underneath; fallen figs, heavy sherry, coffee and cream, roast. Hops are faded, but the grapefruit arrives fashionably late. As the beer warms a bit, I warm to it a bit, too. Maybe just a bit. Still lively after all this time.

Well, I now wish I'd consumed this a year ago, but based on the reviews it seemed to be still blazing strong. Decent enough beer, but I'd drink there if you have them.

A almost black body with a quickly dying tan head and minimal lace. Intense hoppy smell but there is a noticeable aroma of roasted and cocoa malt. Like a hoppy coffee stout this beer has a medium body that is smooth and a tad creamy with a mixture (heavier on the former) of roasted coffee and chocolate malt (gives a lil' bit of sweetness) and citric hops. Also a minor note of black cherry and other plush fruit. Easy to drink ale that is meant to relax w/ after dinner.

Stone's 11th Anniversary Ale was one of my favorite beers of all time, I was literally about to roll on the floor and have a tantrum when I found out that it wasn't going to be available anymore. Thank God Stone decided to keep the recipe and call it Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale. This is a truly outstanding brew.

22oz. bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip style glass. These beer pours completely black when in the glass. It comes out a very dark brown when the liquid gets a little thin, but overall it's pretty black and opaque. The beer produces a tan head with some decent lacing to it, the way beer should look. A very good looking brew. The smell is truly exquisite. It's complex, but gets to the point. Overall it's completely dominated by the hops, but the malts make themselves noticeable as well. Roasted malts with a slight smokey smell that is covered by a delicious hop aroma. A little more pine than citrus in my opinion. The taste is truly outstanding, but I wish I had the opportunity to grade it a 4.9 I think that's what I go with in that situation. Like most beers of this style it's very hoppy, the good thing here is it's not to overwhelming. Along with the great hoppy taste is the good malted flavor. It has a great malted taste much like the smell, with a slight smokey taste. Wonderfully balanced overall. Mouthfeel is good, not quite full bodied in my opinion, but pretty close. Has a slight dry bitter finish from the hop, very good. Extremely drinkable beer, could drink this rain or shine on any occasion. A wonderful beer to have on standby, and you should!

4.32/5  rDev +2.4%

On tap at the Brattleboro, Vermont Brewer's Festival on May 22, 2010. There is a mahogany dark brown pour with some red hues and a two-inch puffy tan head. Hops are the lead ingredient in the aroma but it seems very well-balance and not overdone. Hops also tend to be the first thing caught on the tongue but there is also a rather molasses-like sugar-sweetness in there. Definitely not as bitterly hopped as some strong ales. This one tends to be a lot mellower than other strong ales. Pretty good.

3.72/5  rDev -11.8%

Source/Serving: Draft (City Beer Store)

Smell: Mint julep (when cold), grapefruit/pine oil, salted caramel.

Taste: Rich and bitter and pretty darn good. Herbal/floral/grassy hops with a nice roundness and sharp bitterness. A healthy helping of ripe pear and grapefruit oil that tickles the throat. Molasses and caramel and some barely perceptible clove with nice dark malt flavors. Mocha/Coffee emerges as it warms. Slightly interesting play between the dark, slightly roasted malts and the bitternes but the bitterness is a just a bit harsh and hurts drinkability and the mouthfeel is pretty oily. Finish is grassy with an astringent edge, grainy, bitter coffee, residual orange oil.

2.32/5  rDev -45%

A: Pours nearly opaque black with just a little bit of brown around the edges. A first a small tan head forms, but continues rising to over two fingers. The tightly packed foam gently recedes to a ring that sticks throughout. Lots of spiderweb looking lace is left behind.
S: Piny hops up front and dominate. The hops are overly soapy, resiny, and oily. Fusel alcohol. Almost no malty sweetness to speak of.
T: Follows the nose. Plenty of piny and resiny hops. The taste is of Soapy dishwater detergent. A strong lingering bitterness as well as some hot alcohol.
M/D: A medium body and low carbonation. Actually a little thin and watery. Slick and oily. Lots of bitterness and hot alcohol makes this hard to drink. It will be a chore to finish the bomber.

I am not a fan of this at all. I did not get any of the malty notes others have mentioned. Just a black beer with to much soapy hops. No nuance or balance. I would not recommend this.

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

From the big bottle at home, May 21, 2010.

Pours a deep chocolatey brown with a good tan head. Awesome tan lacing.

Smell the hops right away, then some maltiness.

Tastes nutty and woody, flavor of the hops more on the back end. Not a lot of bitterness.

Creamy mouthfeel, was highly carbonated as well.

Long finish. ABV feels about right on this one. Kinda looks like a stout, smells like an IPA and drinks like a really good brown ale.

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

22oz. Bomber.
A) Pours with a two finger head, tan in color, and creamy with great retention. Body is dark with mahogany hues. Lacing is sticky and tight.
S) Robust hop tones - Cascade maybe Amarillo for aroma. Woodsy. Piney.
T) Well balanced malt and hops up front. Subtle caramel. Citrus - grapefruit. Then moves to a liquid hop delight. Lingering hop bite in the finish.
M) Medium body. Light fizz. Fairly smooth and creamy.
D) Another good brew from Stone. I'd have another.

4.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours opaque dark brown, a twinge of light at the edges, with an ample head that dissipates quickly into a thin layer of foam leaving some lacing.

Pleasing aromas of roasted malt, preserved dark fruit, chocolate syrup, and hops.

Similar tastes as in the nose, sweet at first, chocolate then a bit of a burnt edge to the malt, with a dry super hoppy bitter finish that goes long. It has a momentary belgian ale flavor at first, then kicks in like a Harley with the hops, giving the taste buds an enjoyable ride.

Body is medium with good carbonation, providing a mildly creamy mouthfeel.

Alcohol is evident, tasting stronger than its percentage. This is a tasty and drinkable brew in moderation.

4.4/5  rDev +4.3%

22 oz. bomber poured into a snifter

A- Black with a two finger tan head. Looks like a stout.

S- Sweet and fruity with hints of hops and something roasted. Having trouble pin-pointing different smells, but very good.

T- Roasted malts and hint of coffee up front, with a big bitter hoppy finish. Different and very good.

M- Smooth and a just the right heaviness for the flavor.

D- Just really good. Very unique and a little puzzling. When you pour it you think it is a stout, when you smell it you think it is a Barleywine, and when you taste it you think that it is a brown ale with a hint of coffee stout that finishes like a strong ale. I could easily drink two bombers and feel that it is worthy of the name it is given.

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

I came across this first on draught in Stubbies in Gainesville FL. I wasn't told the name, just that it was a black IPA. My friend got one first, him not being a beer lover, thought it was pretty good, so I ordered one and I flipped my shit. I could not, for the love of God, put it down. Once that stuff connected with my tongue, it was over and 2 more had to be on the way. Now I'm reviewing it in bottle form and it's just as good as I remembered it.

A: Nothing this dark have I had the pleasure of experiencing as a beer so unexpectedly refreshing and light(er). It is really dark, and it's not something I quite expected from the taste. From the look of it I'd expect something more like Dogfish Head's World Wide Stout, and if you know that one, then you can understand my surprise.

S: It's very present, but not overflowing. Kind of like a barbecue. It plays a big role in the taste.

T: Solidly smoked grains play in chord with the light bite of the hops. Malts are deftly woven as a foundation, more or less unnoticed by my tongue. A long aftertaste remains, like having a partly overcooked piece of chicken with charcoaled skin to bite through, and it is spectacular... Hold on, the glass is empty... I'll be right back. Mmm, much better. One more thing, it's always seemed a bit salty to me, I like it alot.

M: The bubbly is pretty shallow. It's the only thing I could hope for more of. It is good, just in my preference, I could enjoy a bit more.

D: Hell, even my burps are delicious. What do you think it's like going down? If I had this for every day of my life, well, for one I'd have an awesome beer belly, but secondly, I don't think you could find me tired of this taste. At least give me 20 years with this stuff, then maybe I'll reconsider.

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

A - dark, deep black almost stout like with a thick, caramel brown head. Nice lacing left as the glass was emptied

S - roasty coffee like notes in the nose , with a balance of citrusy Hops with a note nuttiness

T - complex roasted malt backbone with a strong hops punch. Coffee notes and a nice well rounded overall balance of some very complex flavors

M - medium carbonation , with a crisp feel

D - nicely drinkable beer, very complex but not in any way overpowering

3.8/5  rDev -10%

22oz bottle, Sam Adams pint,

Pours out an dark red tinted brown, not unlike a Porter, with a nice sustained head that imitates same. There are large streaks of lace on the glass.

Tropical fruit hop aromas abound. Some pine and stale lemon zest can also be found. I could smell the pineapple/pine combination as soon as the cap was cracked.

The roast and hops form an intriguing one, two combination. SHAH! BLAMMO! That colorful tropical fruitiness floods up the tongue, fooling one into believing this is a 'normal' IPA. All of a sudden the roast falls heavily, to linger on supported by citric hop bitterness.

Unobtrusive mouthfeel, the good weight and and tamed carbonation do not distract from the interesting and tasty flavor.

As this is my first 'Black IPA'/'Cascadian Dark Ale', there is a definite novelty. I like it, but wouldn't drink more than a bomber at a time even without taking the alcohol content into account.

4.02/5  rDev -4.7%

Served from bottle into a Spaten mug. Pours dark dark brown almost black with a one-finger light tan head. The aroma is mainly of a slight hoppy note. The flavor on the other-hand is of weak hops with a subtle nutty flavor. It was medium on the palate with low carbonation. There was no apparent lacing. Overall this is a very nice brew as with most Stone's. Definitely worth trying if you have not before...

4.26/5  rDev +0.9%

If you like big brown sudsy heads, get this one. Thick, foamy and tall.

Pour deep dark brown.

Taste is a like too coffee-chocolate for my taste, but not sweet. Other ale styles I like better, but no question this is a great beer. If you love this style, you'll be in heaven.

4.22/5  rDev 0%

Poured into a snifter

Appearance: This beer emerges from its vessel a glossy pitch black emitting an inch worth of fluffy caramel white head. As the head recedes it exposes the surprisingly non- diaphanous liquid below. Clinging to the sides of my glass feathery foam slowly diminishes back into a dismal black abyss.

Smell: Hops. Oh, and there is a hint of roast malt. Poignant fruit and citrus invade the nostrils, followed by a hint of mint. On to the roast malt, coffee presents itself to as a decoy for the very faint note of dark chocolate.

Taste: I am drinking an IPA right!? I love the hop character of this beer, grapefruit and citrus accented by the herbal pine taste. Very unorganized flavours. Fighting 90 IBUs the malt makes an appearance. Roast barely and dark malts present themselves giving a distinct coffee flavour accented with dark chocolate. A second wave of hops attack the palate with more of the same and a hint of mint and alcohol. This beer finishes with a very pleasant caramel flavour.

Mouthful: Medium body, the appearance is not telling of it's true viscosity. A little low on the carbonation side, I had a few panic attacks that It would go flat. Different, interesting, and aesthetically pleasing.

Drinkability: A very drinkable beer. As I wrap up this review I wish I had gotten a second, post review celebration bottle to enjoy. Most certainly will I enjoy this sublime and self-righteous ale!

4.26/5  rDev +0.9%

A - Pitch black almost like an imperial stout with fluffy white head.
S - Very faint coffee and chocolate with very strong almost overwhelming hop profile. Dangerous.
T - Oh damn! The hops were too much for me! I really couldn't taste anything but buckets of hops. Defiantly a sipper.
M - Very harsh yet enjoyable beer.
D - Man I may have to have this again but I am pretty sure its the hoppiest beer I ever had from Stone. They are know for angry beers and this one had some good rage.

3.91/5  rDev -7.3%

A- Pours like a stout almost; black body with a off-white head.

S- Smell of hops (flowery, pine and citrus) with notes of burnt sugars, chocolate and coffee.

T- Pine and citrus hop presence that moves into the dark malts which have coffee, chocolate and spice flavors. An herbal quality moves in as well and lingers for a little while. Although it looks like a stout, the taste doesn't reflect it. Roasted malts aren't as upfront as you might expect and the hop presence is much more noticeable.

M- Medium body with a nice carbonation.

D- A pretty cool creation overall; very complex but well balanced. Definitely worth trying.

3.93/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured into my fave pilsner glass.

Appearance: A black body with a neat beige head that doesnt last very long and leaves behind significant spots of lacing.

Smell: A crisp hop aroma sits on top of a nice bed of burnt malt smell. It is a nice complex aroma that wakes the senses, pine, grapefruit. After that comes lightly roasted malts, coffee, and dark chocolate.

Taste: Loads of pine and grapefruit. The roasted malts are in there, but not as dark tasting as a stout. slight chocolate and a little bit of coffee at the end.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied with a nice level of carbonation. Slightly creamy in the front with bitterness and smooth at the end.

Drink: Interesting brew. Characteristics of an IRS but slighly thinner as hops dominate and roasted malts are less pressent. Very drinkable.

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.