Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Pured from a 22oz bottle.

A Pours dark brown with some hints of amber. Chocolate head on top.

S Hops which is weird considering the color. My mind is having a hard time matching up the sight of the beer to the taste. Once past the initial smell of hops you get some malt. The sweetness really compliments the hoppy smell. There is some fruit and choclate in there too but they are very subtle.

T Everyone keeps talking about dark IPA and I am inclined to agree. The malt and alcohol keep the hop taste in check. It really is well balanced. Incredible so actually.

M Incredible feel in the mouth. Nice and creamy with the hop and everything else bouncing back and forth on the way down.

D While I am not a hophead I do enjoy an IPA from time to time. This is something completely different that if the good folks at stone see fit to brew more of I could drink this all the time. The beer is so enjoyable you hardly notice the 8.7%. If I happen upon another bottle it shall be mine.

Please make this beer again stone. Wonderful.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

I was pleasantly surpirsed when Stone shipped this to Georgia (as well as some IRS) in the Double Bastard Shipment. I have been fortunate enough over the years to stumble into every Anniversary Ale going back to 8th with the exception of this one and it seems as if I have now stumbled into a fifth anniversary ale from stone.

So on this Thursday evening after a brutal week at work so far, I poured this bomber into my 22oz Terrapin snifter. As the beer descends into my glass, a black-brown body emerges underneath a two finger tan head. The head dissipates down to a full ring and an almost complete thin foam cap. As I drink the beer, a nice amount of lace is left on the side of the glass.

The aroma of the beer is initially all hops. This seems to be mostly C-Hops along with some Simcoe. As the beer warms, however, the malt becomes more apparent, first with a familiar caramel malt presence you would expect, and then with the rosted malt character that the appearance of the beer would suggest.

Looks can be deceiving, and the aroma of the beer only give a hint to this beer's true nature. Once you take a sip though, you know where its true loyalties lie. This beer's heart and soul is in its IPA nature. Hops bust forth with that piney, resiny, and somewhat citrusy nature. Not to be out of sync with the aroma, the beer starts to display its dark side as the beer warms up. While the initial flavor of the beer is still hops, subtle roasted and chocolate malt flavors attempt to cut through the hops and creep in towards the finish. Nevertheless, the hop flavor is what stays on your tongue til the end. It is amazing how well the hops have held up for more than one year. I might even have to pick up a few more bottles of this to see how it ages. I imagine that those darker malts would eventually cut through the hops, totally changing the profile of this beer.

The beer displays a body on the full side of medium. Carbonation is about average and lively.

Overall, Stone's 11th Anniversary Ale is great. I think that 10th-12th really outdid 8th & 9th for me, and personally 11th 12th outstrip 10th. While 10th was by all means great, it just didn't bring anything new to the table. It was a great DIPA, but no better than Ruination, but this "Black IPA", now this is unique, and not just unique's sake, it is damn tasty too. Kudo's to Stone for doing something different and doing it well. Now I am going to have to go out and see if I can get some more.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

I've had this delight many times both on tap and bottle in various glasses. I should preface by stating I'm a huge fan of stone in general (as are many) and this is one of my favorites from them.

Pours almost jet black with two wonderful fingers of khaki colored head-leaves significant lacing. Pine and grapefruit hop aroma as well as flavor. Near perfect use of hops in my opinion-not too much of any one flavor. Coats my entire mouth and just the right carbonation. The almost 9% abv is hidden well-could get in trouble quick slammin it back.

One I've gotten more times than I can count-so glad its here to stay in my area. I love this beer!

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.