Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,805 | Reviews: 1,903
3.78/5  rDev -10.4%

This beer pours a dark, dark brown on the verge of black with a rich mahogany one finger head that laces the glass. It barely allows any light to pass through it and is medium in body. The aromas are surprisingly very hoppy upfront with a good amount of charred malts in the back. The flavor is hoppier than anticipated as well. It has a very sharp and distinct pine/citrus hop profile right out of the gate. It finishes with a load of dark roasted malts, on the verge of tasting burnt. It's good but the charcoal flavor keeps me from scoring it higher. It drinks pretty full in body and the flavors become more bold as you continue to drink it. It's a good beer but like a lot of Stone's darker beers, I don't consider it to be overly drinkable. Something about their aftertastes just throw me off.

3.78/5  rDev -10.4%

On cask at Beachwood BBQ - a treat to find this on cask, so I figured I'd review it this time even though I've already had it on tap here before they put the cask on (oh how I love Beachwood).

Appearance: Full three finger vanilla bean colored head, which is quite impressive, but settles to a quarter-finger after a time. Lacing makes this one take a bit of a hit, as it is pretty spotty and fleeting, not lasting too long, but it exists, at least. Body is jet black.

Smell: Pine, grapefruit, perceptible alcohol, sugary malt base. I swear I smell banana on the back end of this beer. Who knew? There's something, I suspect, about the hops combining with the roasted malt that creates that impression. This is incredibly (incredibly) hoppy smelling, and has a bit too much alcohol on the nose for me to rave about. Additionally, the "Black" aspect of it is lost, for the most part, with the exception of my aforementioned banana theory - it's basically a hop bomb that looks black, nose-wise.

Taste: Whoa, banana! Like, literally, I taste banana on the front end most prominently. I guess that's a sign that the roasted malt is asserting itself here better. Still, it's also a sign that the roastiness is competing, desperately, with the hoppiness, and mostly losing. Pine, lemon, grapefruit citrus hop flavors follow. Some caramel on the back end. This is a hop monster, still, but I found this more balanced and more interesting than the nose.

Mouthfeel: I wrote in my notes, "it's a cask pour." Enough said I guess - it's creamy, smooth, carbonated fine, and room temperature, what one would expect.

Drinkability: This is so damn hoppy that it takes a while to put one down. Compared to the only other "Black IPA" I've had so far, Warrior Black IPA by Pizza Port, this is like a Double IPA versus a "Regular" IPA," but not in necessarily a good way. I think when experimenting with this new style of sorts, more brewers are going to have to balance out the stout flavors and the IPA flavors. It may be an IPA first and a stout second, alright, fair enough, but still. Anyway, I congratulate Stone on pioneering the style, though, this is getting a TON of praise from people I've met in person and on BA.

3.78/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured into a pint glass, dark coffee in color, with creamy light tan head. The faint smell of coffee, very strong taste. I'm glad I've only got one 22oz of these, I'm not eve half done with it and I can already feel it. After taste has a slight twinge to the tongue, hard to describe. A very good beer, I will definitely get it again.

3.78/5  rDev -10.4%

Decanted this cool from a brown 22oz into a goblet, purchased this at Thirsty's in York, Pa.

A - Black as cinder w/ a tall, 3 fingers of rocky tan head w/ an ultra-fine bead. Moderately full coating of lace on the glass.

S - A huge citrus aroma w/ totally hop dominant nose. Tinges of malty toasted and creamy notes peek out from behined the NW hop aroma.

M - Rich, acidic feel w/ leafy resionous pungency, bitter upfront w/ notes of sweet dark malt in the finish.

T - An intensely flavored ale w/ a nod to the IPA, very citrusy w/ grapefruit and tangy citrus notes w/ mango and sweet subtle flavors that have a gentle dark malt influence w/ hints of molasses and dark sugar w/ caramel and roasted flavors. The acidity is present in each sip as the citrus hop flavor makes its potency known. Sip after sip says Grapefruit! There is a ruby red note w/ a turbinado sugar topped flavor, very zesty the taste reminds me of a grapefruit winter warmer I brewed w/ actual ruby red fruit years ago. I find it unique that this should bring back that one-off memory. I like how the malt is in the taste kind of cushioning the high vault of hops, a very nice effect.

D - This beer is impressive in craftsmanship. Nice black color, all IPA in flavor. It is not something I could see myself drinking many of, but is tasty-it kept me coming back. This ale isn't what I consider complex, but makes its point well and is very drinkable. Shame it is only around for the Anniversary.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

It's been awhile since I've had this one.

Appearance - Very dark, black practically. Held up to a light and nothing gets through. Two inches of mocha-colored head with nice stiff head. Looks very good.

Smell - Surprising amount of hops right up front. Lots of pine and some grass. Citrus comes in as well. There's a dark roasted malt quality lingering somewhere.

Taste - Up front it's love. Nice hoppy bite. Very aggressive. But the follow is a tough malt roast aspect, with some smoke. Definitely some coffee tones. Tastes burnt, honestly. It also lingers.

Mouthfeel - Luscious and creamy.

Drinkability - The lingering burnt flavor is off-putting, honestly.

This is a very interesting beverage. I love half, and don't care for the other half. Frankly, it's a little jumbled and incoherent. Overall, it's interesting but doesn't excite me.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Coal black and a nice head with excellent lacing. Smell is toasty malt with some espresso. taste is of roasty malts with some sweetness and a hop bitterness. Coffee, dark fruit, oak, astringency, juniper, grapefruit. This is a unique and complex ale that drinks like a combination of styles. Mouthfeel is creamy, thick and sticky with good carbonation. Aftertaste is clean and bitter. Seems like a black IPA. Taste comes off as extremely bitter to me. I'm gonna have to come back to this later.

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 55 degrees

Man, this one pours up solid black. It has a two-finger head of Medium-brown colored foam sitting on top. The retention is really good and the lacing is thick and sticky.
Pretty impressive looking, actually.

As I've come to expect from Stone, the nose is filled with hops notes. Lots of big bright citrus notes, along with a pleasing tropical hop presence. Some good dark, earthy hop notes also. There are some nice, caramel-like, sweet malt notes here as well, but they are almost buried by the hops.

Fruity hops notes come out strong. They are followed by an earthy, almost woody, presence. A slight hint of caramel is then squashed by the bitter bite of hop resin and pine sap. This finishes with an interesting amount of charred/smokiness to it.

This one is full-bodied and has a wonderful, mild-to-high level of carbonation, which is filled with small-to-almost-medium sized bubbles. It is very smooth and has a nice level of creaminess to it.

This is good, and is nicely drinkable, as long as you like hops. Unfortunately, this is quite a bit more hop-forward than I really enjoy my beers to be. I'm not yet worthy, I guess.

3.77/5  rDev -10.7%

The color is dark, black with some red highlights coming through in the light. Poured into thick short pilsner glass. Nice thick head almost caramel color, disipated to a light foam across the top with some nice lacing.

Smell was hops upfront with a slight lightly roasted coffee aroma.

First sip and I get hops up front, and a light malty finish that masks the high alcohol content.

Drinkability was fine but too malty for me to keep drinking all night. 2 would be my limit, then try to find more Stone 10.

Overall excellent beer, VERY unique, I love that Stone always seems to suprise for their aniversary beer.

3.77/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours a pitch black color that's actually a little thinner looking than I am used to. It has a big 3 finger brown head that lingers for a bit before lacing the hell out of my snifter. First smell is fairly hoppy. PIne notes mostly. There are some muted roasty notes in the background. It's pretty muted. First sip is quite similar to the nose. Piney hops. Roasted malt. Some subtle coffee notes in the background. A little char bitterness finished the brew off. There is a pretty clean finish with a low bitterness. It's very drinkable and the alcohol is hidden well. Not one I'd seek out again but that's moreso the fact I don't love the style.

3.77/5  rDev -10.7%

Pours a deep opaque black with an ample tan head. Generally malty in nature with bitterness coming from what seems to be roasted and chocolate malts. Taste is similar with a chocolaty malt flavor and bitterness some coffee notes as well. Not overpoweringly chocolate but definitely good. Feel is smooth and medium bodied, with a slight fullness. Carbonation is light and tickles the senses well. Overall a very good beverage.

3.77/5  rDev -10.7%

Bomber: Aroma is nice hop texture to it with some slight lemon zest scents and a light rind texture as well. The malt notes are very subdued because of the hops but are vaguely present within the aroma. Pours a dark brownish black yet somewhat clear with a thick fluffy off white head that lingers around for quite a while. Taste is very citrusy and definite big hop characteristics. The light malt textures show through on the back end of the flavor. Palate is bitter on the tongue and nice and long lasting. With light malt notes later on in the aftertaste. Overall, A very interesting brew to say the least. Big hop textures throughout and quite a good drink. Cheers!

3.77/5  rDev -10.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a deep, dark brown color, almost black. There are some reddish hues that come through as well. It looks very still, without much carbonation.

S: It has a strong hoppy scent up front. Some sweet and floral notes come through after the initial bitter hop smell and it finishes with some nice roasted malt/coffee-like aromas.

T: The roasted coffee scent is the first flavors that are noticeable. As it finishes, it has a big hop and bitter end.

M: It is medium bodied with virtually no carbonation which actually works out for this beer. It has a nice crisp finish from the bitter hops and refreshes your palate for the next tasting.

O: I'm not sure how I feel about black IPA's yet as I haven't tried many, but this is a decent offering and probably the best I have tried so far from this style.

3.77/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Nice smell. The bottle cap has more aroma than some glasses full of other beers!

Maybe I'm just not a fan of this style but the the aftertaste of this beer is too acidic and lingering. Everything else seems fine but the taste gets worse as it lingers around.

I have no desire to drink another bottle.

This was very close to being a drain pour as I was in the mood for something more substantial.

Again, maybe this just isn't my preferred type of beer.

3.77/5  rDev -10.7%

Appearance: A deep brown color pours from the bottle but becomes absolutely once it's in the glass and light isn't getting through this at all. Very deep and solid looking. It's almost a little intimidating. There's a great dark beige head that towers at three fingers. The bubbles are massive and they stick around forever. Looks great in the glass.

Smell: The hop profile is strong on top but this beer has got secrets. There's caramel, malt and a smooth breadiness that are lying just under the surface, playing over a strong smoke scent. Stone really knows how to make some aromatic beers and Self-Righteous teases the nose with the best of them.

Mouthfeel: Rich. There's a refreshing, crisp quality here that still manages to be creamy.

Taste: Hops hit first and refresh more than anything. I was expecting a much more bitter hop expression and while there's bitterness here, it's just smooth and clean. The tartness of them help hold the beer together. Lots of grapefruit and tangerine. A bit of lime is hiding in there too. As it passes the center of the mouth, the caramel, malt and smoke steal the show. Really, really well balanced. As it warms, I start to sense a coffee flavor. The beer ends as refreshingly as it began with a tart hop profile. Very enjoyable.

Overall: A well balanced but still hop forward black ale that surprises with it's complexity? Check. Decent price? Check. The fun of Stone brewery? Check. Another hit from Stone and another delicious hop-heavy black ale for the world.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours pitch black with a one-finger off-tan head. Nice retention and lace.

Nose is massively dark- burnt malt, coffee and earth with touches of prune and piney hops.

A brief moment of sweet smoky malt yields to gigantic bitterness- espresso and earth tones turn slightly resinous on the mouthwatering, dark chocolatey finish.

Overall, this is good no doubt, but personally I'd opt for a good ol' Stone IPA with a touch more brightness. Maybe this is more of a wintertime brew for me cuz the darkness is vast, oppressive and soul-crushing. It's something that can come from no one but Stone.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a- Very very dark brown, almost black. Super huge frothy light brown head. Spotty lacing is forming as we speak.

s- Super citric and floral and hoppy with light roasty malt flavor. Got a nice whiff of pine tree.

t- Taste is different from the smell at first. The hops take the back seat and a super dry malt flavor takes over. Theres some dark Belgian chocolate flavor in there. Tastes more how it looks than smells. But now as its warming up its getting hoppy again! This is a bitter black.

mf/d- Feel of a porter. Almost creamy but kinda slick and tingly.
Not super drinkable because of the strong bittering hops. Kinda cool though.

3.76/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Stone's Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale last week for $3.19 at The Lager Mill. I've been working on trying more beers from Stone and since I have never seen this beer on the shelf before I figured I should give it a try, so lets see how it goes. Bottling date was not visible, i think it rubbed off, but it just showed up at the store so I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The bottle looks pretty good with a big evil looking devil like figure that is pretty eye catching. It poured a pretty dark black color that didn't really let any light come through and it was pretty much pitch black with two and a half fingers worth of cream medium dark tan head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left lots of sticky rings of lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, there's nothing at all wrong with it, the head and lacing were awesome.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a nice mixture of hop aromas, the citrus hops seem to stick out the most with some grapefruit aromas coming through and there were some grassy and earthy hop aromas in the background. Up next comes the malts which show up a medium amount and impart some roasted malt aromas along with some light chocolate, coffee, caramel and smokey aromas with some more chocolate and caramel and maybe a little bit of toffee coming through towards the end. The aroma was pretty good, I liked the contrast between the hop profile and the roasted malts.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of sweetness followed by a pretty large amount of hops, the citrus, earthy and grassy hop aspects that I got in the aroma show up in the taste, but the they are much more balanced and the citrus hops show up just as much as the grassy and earthy hop aspects. Up next comes a medium amount of malts that impart a roasty, slightly charred and slightly smokey flavor with some lighter chocolate, coffee and caramel flavors showing up in the background. On the finish there's a lower amount of high bitterness with a bitter hoppy aftertaste with a slight bit of roasted malts coming through. This was a nice tasting beer, but I thought the hop profile could have had a little more citrus hop aspect like the aroma and I thought the bitterness was a little too much.

M- Not the smoothest, creamy, a slightly lighter amount of medium warming alcohol, on the fuller side of being medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel worked good with this beer for the most part but it could have been smoother.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and a nice example of the style, it had most of the aspects that I look for in the style, but the hop profile didn't impress me as much as other Black IPA's and the bitterness was just a little too aggressive in this beer. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it wasn't too smooth, and the alcohol was a little too warming for it's strength, but the flavors did a decent job at holding my attention, one would be enough for me, I think the bitterness would really start to wear on me if I had more then one. What I like the most about the beer was the appearance and aroma, they were both very good with appearance being the best, it may be the best looking Black IPA I have ever seen. What I liked the least about this beer was the flavor, it wasn't bad, I just wish the hop profile highlighted those citrus hops that I got in the aroma more and I thought the bitterness was just too intense for this beer, it would really help the drinkability if it was toned down. I wouldn't buy this again, it's no a bad beer, but there's many more Black IPA's that I like more than this one so I don't think I will be revisiting it anytime soon and I think it's a little overpriced but I would recommend that any fan of the style at least give it a try. All in all I was a little let down with this beer, Stone is very good with hoppy beers, but this one fell a little short in my eyes and it didn't have a hop profile that kept me coming back for me, better luck next time guys.

3.76/5  rDev -10.9%

On tap at the brewery 07-10-09. Pours a beautiful dark brown with nice tan head. Great looking beer with a really unique aroma dominated with chocolate and orange. Would have love to tasted this blind as the aromas were a bit confusing to the senses. Pretty well balanced with a nice bitter chocolate finish. My notes are also saying that there was a nice woody aroma and touch of dry wood in the taste, though I'm not sure how that came about.

3.76/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A black IPA, hmm, let's see what this is all about...

Rich, pungent hops are the name of the game here. Heavy astringency, oily hop mouthfeel and a bright citrusy character that is quite delicious. What else does one expect from Stone? There is a bit of balance, though: some nice, heavily toasted caramel and a definite chocolate note too.

Though Stone's attempt at to make this beer so "unique," it's well above average as IPA. Rich, hoppy, and very delicious. And, admittedly, the heavy roast and chocolate is interesting.

Highly recommended...

3.76/5  rDev -10.9%

I was told by the bartender this was a black IPA so I was excited about trying a new style. Oh well. Poured a nice bark mocha brown color. Smelled piney and citrusy from the hop. Taste was nice with a hop bitterness up front and then a solid malt backbone. What ever style it was, it was good!

3.76/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

It pours a beautiful black color with a light colored foamy head. It smells hoppy with a spicy finish. Taste is that of hops and burnt malt with a decent citrus undertone. Slightly boozy. Feel is of medium body and active carbonation. Overall a very enjoyable brew. Nothing amazing, just another solid Stone offering.

3.76/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured a dark brown with a two finger head with good retention. The aroma was a musty bitter, sorry, can't do any better than that. The taste was bitter citrus/pine needles. A little bitter for me, but not bad. The feel was full bodied with more than sufficient carbonation. Drinkability was pretty good, especially if you are into hops. Not a lot of difference as it warmed up, still a good beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This one fills the glass with a nice dark brown, almost black hue with a solid off white creamy head which leaves plenty of sticky lacing in it's wake. An attractive looking brew.

Smells of grapefruity hops, dark chocolate and burnt molasses. Interesting mixture.

Taste is along the same lines as the aroma, along with a hint of roasted nuts and maybe a slight bit of toffee. The beer opened up quite a bit as it warmed.

Mouthfeel was very good. Smooth and creamy, somewhat on the thicker end of the scale.

A well done brew by the folks at Stone. This is not my favorite style, but is a beer I'd consider having again sometime.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

From: Binny's in Champaign, IL
Best by: None found
Glass: New Belgium globe glass

Stone's Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale is a solid BIPA, but strikes me as a bit too ethanol-heavy for its own good. While it delivers a nice, medium to medium-heavy body with strong hop and moderate roasted malt flavors, this just does not live up to its potential, the ethanol being too high and not appropriately balanced by the other flavors and aromas in the beer. If this were around 7%, I suspect it would be much more appealing to my palate. As it stands, it's a good beer, but not one I really feel that I'll go back to.

Pours a >2cm head of tan bubbles, small on the lower layers while large to medium on the upper. Head retention is above average, and the descending foam leaves thick lacing along the sides of the glass. The beer's body is opaque, dark brown to black, with no visible carbonation.

Aroma features prominent pine resin, pine bark, and grapefruit hops with a base of roasted malt with notes of char and roasted nuts. Ethanol creeps out a bit as this warms, and so it is more enjoyable when cold.

Taste, overall, presents a steadfast grapefruit and orange citrus bitterness combined with a roasted malt presence, lending chocolate and charred grain to the flavor spectrum. The hops still win out, but the dark malt factor is always present.
Taste opens with dark and roasted malt sweetness, with a fair bit of citrus fruit that's also sweet and flavorful. Mid-palate brings out the grapefruit bitterness and char/chocolate, which lasts through the back of the palate and into the aftertaste. Aftertaste is primarily of a potent bitterness with a noticeable char and roasted malt component. I agree with ThisWangsChung that the beer becomes a bit harsh with its ethanol exposure as it warms up: it's best enjoyed at or below cellar temperature.

Beer's body is medium to medium-heavy in weight, with fairly light to medium-light levels of carbonation. The result is a fairly smooth beer with a hefty body, resulting in a full and satisfying mouthfeel. Closes out expectedly dry, with long-lingering bitterness and a touch of residual sweetness around the lips.

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

On tap at Brixies in Brookfield IL. We're happy to finally be able to have Stone in Chicago.

Served in a 10oz. snifter

It pours a nice almost black color, creamy dense khaki colored head that lingered for about 1/4 of the glass before receding. A medium amount of lacing was left coating the side of the glass.

The smell was firm but now overpowering piny resinous hop nose. Behind that a supporting background of roasted malt was present. The two opposing smells were melded together in a nice complimentary way.

The taste starts off much like the nose with a nice dollop of pine hops and the associated bitterness was much smoother than I expected since I find many stone beers to have an overly harsh bitterness. Past the initial hop presence the dark character reared its head with some molasses and just a touch of kilned malts but not as much as was in the nose. The two opposing flavors didn't blend together as well as the nose.

The mouthfeel was ok and had a medium body with an acceptable carbonation in order to help keep those hops form lingering on the tongue. Drinkability was above average and I did not know the ABV until I started writing this review and I must say it hid very well so I give props in that area.

I've only had a couple Black IPAs (Well I guess I can call them American Style India Black Ales since the brewers Association revised the style guidelines today) and they have been all over the board in terms of successfully blending the flavors together. This one is my favorite of the bunch so far.

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.