Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros
chocosushi

Oklahoma

12oz Pour from Bomber->Saison Dupont Becker
A ~ Pours well. Black/Brown with a great looking cap of an awkward color of tan/beige. Pretty good lacing with pretty great retention.

S ~ Strong Pine & Citrus notes as well as Raw Sugar & Dark Malts. I expected more roasted notes, but they are buried pretty well beneath the layers of grapefruit & sap. Slightest hint of bruised banana.

T ~ Grapefruit by the pound, Burnt Wood, Cedar Chips, Baking Chocolate, Rosemary, Black Pepper & even hints of Tropical Fruit (guava & mango). Burnt Grass, Pine-needles & Coffee silt assert themselves upon warming up a touch. I am not letting this one get to room temperature, though.

M ~ Mouthfeel is full. Not necessarily sticky, but Very oily & herbaceous. Almost ashy at times. Hopped well. Really exciting on the palette. Pretty bitter, too.

D ~ From what I have had of the style, this is pretty much the hallmark. It's not just an IPA with a dash of Specialty malts, it's a BLACK IPA. Like the Belgian IPA, it is a peculiar style, but Stone executed it as if they'd invented it.

08-23-2011 01:29:28 | More by chocosushi
Jedimaster1

4.43/5  rDev +5%

This is one great brew from Stone. Just amazing. Poured from the bomber into a glass snifter.

A: As black as night. This is amazing to see for a DIPA!

S. You can smell the hops as well as the caramel malt. The dark malt breaks through at the end of this hoppy beer.

T: Very tasty! The taste is of citrus hops -- which are bigger and badder than the Ruination brew -- and dark malt. The taste reminded me of a barelywine as the flavor was thick, hoppy, and malty all at once similar to barleywines I have had as of recent.

M: This one just sits nice in the mouth. The bitter dry taste is followed by a warm alcohol taste (which does not overwhelm the feel for this beer).

D: Easy to drink. Too easy so be wary of the 8.7% ABV.

Great creation by Stone. Can't wait to have my other one.

10-07-2007 07:36:29 | More by Jedimaster1
PintOHops

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Poured from a 22oz into a pint glass.

Appearance/Smell - Appears a rich black, not to oily looking though, produces about 1/4 an inch of head with retention that wasn't great, and lacking only slightly. Leaves some splashy, spotty lacing as well. Smells of loads of syrupy molasses, malts, graininess, along with mild plum & cherry notes. Followed by an intensely herbal & earthy, freshly cut pine tree, almost tree sap aroma that dominates! An intense spicy pine hop aroma overall, and some sweet buttery toffee notes make an appearance as it warms, as well as some subtle alcohol of course.

Taste/Moutheel - Tastes of sharp pungent, herbal, spicy pine tree hop notes, followed by mild citrus grapefruit rind. Some sweet black cherry & plum make a very short appearance at the very finish, and is immediately smothered with an herbal, earthy, dry hop bitterness that lingers till Christmas! Mild butterscotch notes can be picked up when it warms, as well as some alcohol. Very winter seasonal! Mouthfeel fits the flavors perfectly, thick, creamy, smooth, chewy & slightly silky. Overall, full bodied & perfect for the style!

Drinkability/Final thoughts - This thing was so earthy, it was like tasting & smelling tree sap! It was something I hadn't experienced before, that's for sure. This thing could be mistaken for a Winter Ale, I know I would enjoy a bomber of this, properly poured into a chalice on a snowy day, sitting in front of a fire, ah. I really did enjoy all the flavors & aromas, and although I'm not big on super hop giants, this one was uniquely herbal & earthy, and I would love to have this again. I recommend you grab it when they can brew it. Cheers!

06-15-2009 22:25:28 | More by PintOHops
emmasdad

Colorado

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Pours a dark brown/mahogany color, with a good tan head. Nice piney hoppy aromas compete with undertones of roasted malt. On the palate, this one boasts a good malt backbone, with roasted malt, cocoa, dark chocolate easily mingling with some good pine/citrus hop flavors. A very nicely balanced beer, and one that is way to dangerous drinkable for its ABV. Excellent

04-06-2010 00:59:30 | More by emmasdad
JonathanL7890

22 oz bomber poured into a Youngs DCS glass
Poured a tan 3 finger substantial head.
Color is dark, almost like a stout.
Aroma is raisins , roast malts, hoppy, citrus
Silky mouthfeel,
Roast, burnt toast on the back of my palate. I find this beer hard to classify. In some respects it's like an RIS , with the aroma and the roasted malt feel. I can also detect some Arrogant bastard lineage in this , esp. in the mouthfeel / drinkability. It has the same aftertaste as AB.

This is a very fine beer. Stone, you haven't let me down yet.

05-01-2008 23:36:43 | More by JonathanL7890
beerpadawan

4.43/5  rDev +5%

I loved this beer from the draft on each of the three or four occasions I've sipped it. This was the first bottle I sampled. It was largely the same, though I felt the citrus blast was a little more tame than I recalled from the draft pours. It could be that I'm getting used to whiffing grapefruits from a very dark beer.

The hops were a little less intense up front, as well. Though overall consistent and very enjoyable. It's a big beer but quite drinkable (for a fan of hops at least).

It definitely sits comfortably in the Stone brand, tasting much like a double IPA but with some pleasing roasted notes from the malt.

03-03-2009 19:37:41 | More by beerpadawan
aubuc1

4.43/5  rDev +5%

22 oz bottle poured in to a snifter.

Pours a dark black with a thick bubbly light tan head.

Sweet citrusy smell like a beautiful dipa.

Taste is hoppy and chalky yeasty. Some slight rich fruit in the back. Dry finish that does not linger.

Very nice mouthfeel and great drinkability. The alcohol is not even noticable.

Great beer.

11-03-2009 00:59:23 | More by aubuc1
TheAlamoWrocker

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Reviewed November 5th 2011. Poured a 650 mL bottle into a JFF is my BFF novelty pint glass.

A: Pours a nice tan two fingered head. Solid black with red shadings around the edges. The head looks beautiful and hopefully it is long lasting.
This does lace like I hoped.

S: Strong hop smell with a very odd citrus smell to it. I think the odd citrus smell to me is simply a very strong earthy feel. Some minor malts. At minimum this beer has some interesting smells that are purely positive.

T: The hops of this just punch me in the face. Minor alcohol hits at the very end at the swallow. The bitterness stays nicely on the tongue after the swallow.
As this warms up the hops aren't as aggressive which is nice.

M: The body is medium and the carbonation is medium as well. This also has a creaminess which is quite nice.

O: This is a solid beer which I would have again, but not for awhile. The hops are just too dominating without letting it's other subtle taste out.
When you let this beer warm a bit it does make it a lot more drinkable and thus a lot more pleasurable. My recommendation is to let it warm up a bit before consuming. After it warming up a bit it was delicious beyond my expectations, but cold not no so much. Another Victory for Stone.

11-06-2011 02:15:07 | More by TheAlamoWrocker
jbhuxley

South Carolina

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Pours with a massive, chunky tan head, which soon settles to a nice coating with splochy lacing.

The first smell I pick up is toasty chocolate, with more and more pine coming out. I can just pick up a hint of citrus.

Wow. This one is different. First I pick up a burnt, bitter chocolate, then the hops start to come through. There is definitely grapefruit on the finish.

This one finishes smooth and clean. There is a noticeable lingering bitterness. The body and carbonation are just right.

This is one of the most interesting beers I've tasted in a while.

07-24-2009 02:49:58 | More by jbhuxley
HopMasterFlex

4.43/5  rDev +5%

This is a go to beer for me. When the 11th anniversary came out I must have drank 20 bottles. It was my first time with a black ipa and frankly I never looked back. Though I feel the 11th was better than the sublimely I was still stoked to have it available year round. It bours black with a root beer hue. The head is an inviting tan. Smell is pure hops and I love it. The subtle toasted malt are present as well. This beer is the definition of an iba. The color is black bit it drinks like an ipa. Super hoppy and delicious. Nothing bad to say about this other than the smaller batch of the 11th was better. I still have 4 bottles of the 11th and I drank one the other day. The profile is completely different as you'd expect. The piney hop flavors are gone and the malt flavors are huge, it's almost choclatey. It is a completely different beer but still delicious!

02-03-2011 07:17:28 | More by HopMasterFlex
Tballz420

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Black ale. Off the top of my head i can't think of too many of these.

The brews pretty "clear" in that theres lots of hues that can come through, but its a black body. Big tan head still all over the place. A bit of malt on the scent, but its dominated by a massive hop profile. As Alvey at Four Firkins said when he described it, the beer will mess with your head. Its a hop bomb, but it looks like a malt monster. There are nice sweet malts, but the hop oil is what this is about. Much thinner bodied than a stout/porter. Cool beer, very interesting.

03-30-2011 18:49:48 | More by Tballz420
BEERMILER12

Maine

A: Pitch black, definitely doesn't look like an IPA

S: Bold, dank hops come through with a good bit of char and burnt malts. It's almost like a fire pit without the smoke

T: Starts with a good bit of grapefruit and citrus hops along with the burnt malts and char. Again, just like a fire pit without the smoke

M: Great, not too carbonated, but its pretty smooth

D: A very good example of the style with both IPA and stout/porter notes coming through at all times. Absolutely worth a shot if you like the style

12-11-2010 06:20:42 | More by BEERMILER12
Roman5150

Spain

bottle purchased from Total Beverage in Murfreesboro, TN

appearance: very dark, mocha colored one finger head

smell: great mix of malt and hops, none is too overwhelming. i smell some apple and cloves as well.

taste: very malty backbone, with a very hoppy finish. smooth and well balanced. hints of coffee, caramel, apple, and piney, earthy hops.

mouthfeel: not over carbonated, this sits well on your tongue

overall: I will be buying this upon seeing it, tastes amazing. I would say this beer tastes very similar to Sweetwater's Happy Ending seasonal, if you've had that (or this), you will love the other. Except this one is a tad bit more malt heavy. Either way, I love dark beer with lots of hops, and if you do too, Stone did a great job with this one. Well crafted beer.

04-13-2013 23:04:34 | More by Roman5150
armock

4.43/5  rDev +5%

A - Poured a dark brown color with a big tan head that leaves lacing

S - Has a strong pine hop scent backed by a sweet caramel malt nose

T - It starts off with the seewt caramel malt then finishes with the piney hops

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation to it

D - Yet another great beer from stone for a beer with near 9% abv its supper easy to drink what a great taste I could have drank it all night long Texas needs to get these limited releases so I can buy these

06-24-2008 15:31:10 | More by armock
peacebone116

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Poured from a 22-oz bomber into a tulip glass. Beer was bottled in April, tasted son 6/30/11.

A: Black with a retained, light tan head. Auburn hues highlight the body of the beer.

N: Very hop forward pine and citrus.

T/M: Hops and bitter chocolate dance across the tongue together with a medium, oily body. Oils sit on the back of the tongue and hop bitterness lingers.

This was the first time I have had this beer since it was released. I have recently been gaining an appreciation for the BIPA, and I find myself really enjoying this one. I compared in a side by side tasting of SN Juniper Black Ale ('11) and Back In Black. This beer sat on the hoppier side of the spectrum, while the BiB was on the malt driven end. (The Juniper was very well balanced.) SSR is a hop driven BIPA whose spicy and citric hop notes truly compliment the chocolaty malt backbone.

This was an excellent beer and I definitely plan to revisit.

07-05-2011 22:15:36 | More by peacebone116
WillieMoe

4.43/5  rDev +5%

A- Well this one pours out thick and absolutely pitch black. I mean there is no light getting through there. The head is light brown and fluffy.

S- Although the look makes it seem like this is no doubt a porter, the smell begs to differ. The smell is a nice mix of citrusy and pine hops, balanced well with the malt. If you blindfolded someone and had them smell it, I'm guessing they would not be able to correctly describe the appearance. Might be the most glorious smelling brew in existence, but then again, I am sometimes prone to the most outrageous hyperbole of all time. I would be remiss to add that there is also a hint of sweet chocolate in there as well.

T- Glorious! Oh, wait, you want me to elaborate? The initial taste is an explosion of hops, like the kind you only read about! The malt is there, but does not show itself until this bad boy warms up a bit. This is a very complex brew. Look of a porter, smell and taste of a DIPA? They know what they are doing out there in Cali.

As I read my notes, it just makes me sad, that it is retired. It was gosh darn delicious. Couldn't spend a whole night drink it (well, it would be a short night if I did), but good for one or two.

This is one of my favorites, and u

07-27-2008 16:25:55 | More by WillieMoe
Gueuzedude

Arizona

Sampled September 2007
Well carbonated, even a careful pour produces a five-finger thick head in my Tulip glass. The head is a creamy light brown color and leaves spotty lacing patterns on the sides of my glass as it slowly recedes back into the beer. The beer is an opaque, almost black color that shows brilliantly clear, chocolate brown notes around the edges. As expected the aroma is quite hop focused. Dominant citrus / floral hop notes mix with pine-like / menthol-esque hop aromatics. When you dig for it, noticeable toasted malt aromatics become noticeable, but the dark malt character is certainly well masked by the hop onslaught. Interestingly enough, even up front there seems to be a noticeable chocolate character; it is extremely subtle & I almost wonder if my eyes are trying to pull a fast one on my nose. I don't think so though, there is a slight note of chocolate that intermingles with notes of grapefruit, freshly zested tangelo skins and lychee. With time the sharper pine / menthol hop aromatics seem to fade a bit. The hops here really capture the essence of freshly zested citrus peel, I almost feel like I got to close to the grater while zesting some sweet citrus fruits and ended up with a nose full of citrus oil.

The beer is served cool at about 58ºF (14ºC), this produces an almost creamy mouthfeel up front, but of course the hop character is the most noticeable aspect here. Bracingly hoppy from the get go, towards the middle with a little malt help the sweet citrus notes become really noticeable. The finish has a bitterness that only becomes more biting & sharp the longer the beer has been gone from my mouth; almost as if the bitterness sticks harshly to my palate while the malt character melts away. The bitterness in the finish seems to be accentuated a bit by some dark malt derived acidity; in fact this is where the dark malt character seems to come into play. The dark malt flavors are drowned out by the hops. This is quite easy drinking, there is a sort of creaminess to the beer, but it is still quite quaffable if not quite light. I would not even guess this was almost 9% alcohol, as it captures the drinkability & relatively light body of a West Coast IPA. The citrus hop flavors are definitely the dominant flavor contributor here. They are not quite so over the top as the aroma was (that citrus oil character is muted a bit), but still ample notes of tangelo, ruby-red grapefruit, orange zest, and lychee are quite noticeable. As the beer warms and my palate gets used to it, subtle notes of roast coffee and chocolate start to become noticeable.

This is most definitely an IPA inspired beer; the lingering, tongue flagellating bitterness in this beer is huge. Astringent at times, bracing, palate dominating, but thoroughly enjoyable for the hop heads out there. I really hope this beer lasts longer than the 10th anniversary beer; for some reason that one had a 2 week window where it was a zesty hop bomb, but after that it became a train wreck of flavors (though I'll have to revisit it as some have said it has mellowed recently). Anyway, if you only have one bottle drink it now, cause it is at it's peak fresh hoppiness right now. It will be interesting to see how the dark malt character plays out; it is very subtle right now and if this was put in a blind IPA tasting (you would actually have to be blind folded though), most would have a hard time guessing this was not a typical, albeit supper hoppy IPA.

09-02-2007 14:12:06 | More by Gueuzedude
Drew966

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale was served to me in a pint glass, the beer was a dark brown or possibly even black color with a tan head. This beer smells and tastes like cat piss, and I mean that in the best possible hop loving kind of way. To be a touch more serious, hops dominate the aroma and the flavor with strong grapefruit notes. A very good beer, recommended.

12-14-2009 22:34:06 | More by Drew966
spree92

New Brunswick (Canada)

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Once I cracked this open, an aroma that made me smile filled the air. Pours a thin black that turns cola color in the light around the edges. Small head but some even lacing. Smell is bitter but not of hops, initially. Slightly burnt grainy malts and molasses lead into some earthy hops, grass, spruce and citrus peel. Taste is so weird, in a good way. Jumps back and forth from malts to hops to malts to hops and back. After is sits a bit, the finish is a nice roasted coffee bean flavor. A bigger beer at 8.7%, but this is pretty thin and very easy to consume. Alcohol is hidden behind all the changing pieces as it doesn't know what to be. One drink a malt beer, next is IPA. Excellent beer from Stone, should we be surprised.

05-17-2011 11:34:20 | More by spree92
WaXHeLL

4.43/5  rDev +5%

22oz bomber poured into a pint glass.

Appearance:
Pours pitch black with a fluffy mocha colored head. Head dissipates a very thin layer, but laces the glass extremely well. This is what a proper beer should look like.

Smell:
Ripe pineapple overwhelms the smell of this beer initially. Citrus flavors also are present in the nose. Slight hints of roasted malt and floral hops. Extremely interesting.

Taste:
Roasted malts and big hops dominate the taste. The pineapple again is ever so present, but balanced nicely with the rest of the taste. Slight hints of coffee, pine, and citrus flavors. The hop note is huge, and contributes a good amount to the bitter taste. The finish however is a mix of smooth (surprising) and bitter. Pineapple flavors are also present in the aftertaste. I'm generally not a fan of the sweeter beers, but this one is done extremely well. Not too sweet, and not dry either.

Mouthfeel:
Not as heavy as I expected. Medium body (and almost border-line light, as light as this type of beer can be). Light carbonation. Pretty creamy for the style, but not creamy in the grand scheme of beers.

Drinkability:
Real easy to drink, and could definitely drink this a lot. APV is not present at all.

Overall:
Extremely interesting beer, and definitely worth it. Complex, yet extremely well executed.

06-01-2009 06:50:18 | More by WaXHeLL
BenjieK

4.43/5  rDev +5%

A: Dark black, brown highlight in the light. Nice tan head. Beautiful lace. Gorgeous.

S: Sweet dark malts and grapefruit and pine. Great west coast hops.

T: A little sweet at first, almsot milk chocolate, with a great hop punch that is mostly grapefruit.

m: Maybe a little heavy on the carbonation, but good.

D: Very rich, but considering ABV, very drinkable.

01-31-2011 12:37:29 | More by BenjieK
paulthebeerguru

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Poured into a snifter. Beautiful obsidian color with a light khaki head. Nice head retention on this one. Moderate lacing. I read the bottle and it said IPA, but this appearance is throwing me off. Strong floral hop aroma, sweet pine, and a light dash of citrus. I am pulling some tart green apple. Some sweet malts makes this remind me of a barley wine. Very hoppy, slight citrus with a very sweet yet subtle malt characteristic. Great grapefruit taste. This makes me crave a barley wine for comparison. Definitely more hoppy than a barley wine but the malts are wonderful in this. The mouthfeel is a little on the dry side for my liking, but understandable with the high alpha hops. Mild carbonation. A nice treat. I am going to try to age one of these just to see what happens.

03-27-2008 22:36:27 | More by paulthebeerguru
mjl21

4.43/5  rDev +5%

22 ounce bottle poured into a Chimay glass. Enjoy by date is listed as 5/13/09. Comes in at 8.7%.

A-Pours black with a fluffy one finger tan head. Some bubble clusters stick on the inside of the glass. Lots of lace.

S-Fresh citrus hops with some pine in there. Not getting the roasted malt or alcohol.

T-Citrus comes through, particularly lemon. The citrus hops coat quickly leaving some lingering bitterness. Tastes of roasted malt and chocolate can de detected on the back of the palate.

M-Medium bodied with good carbonation.

D-Where's the alcohol? This is very easy to drink. Should have bought more than one.

I really enjoyed this beer. I had the 11th when it first came out and I loved it. I love how this beer does not taste like you would think based on its black color.

03-11-2009 17:42:15 | More by mjl21
crazybrody06

Indiana

4.43/5  rDev +5%

Poured from the bomber into a 16oz snifter. Pitch black, big tan head, did I mention it was black?
Smell was hops, hops, hops, some sweet hints in the backgrounds.
Taste was perfect hops without the horrible bitterness of some very hoppy beers. Some sweet fruits chocolate.
Mouthfeel was full bodied, easy to drink, just the right amount of carbonation.
Drinkablity surpised me, it took me about an hour to finish the bomber put I could drink more.
Overall a great looking beer, great hop flavor without the bitterness, decent drinkablity.

11-11-2007 13:39:34 | More by crazybrody06
THE-DUDE

Missouri

4.43/5  rDev +5%

I am typically not a big fan of black ales, but this is by far the best i have tried! It smells like an IPA, looks like a porter, and tastes fantastic. Floral, hoppy, slightly piney, and slightly sweet. Drinks very smooth and conceals the 8.7 very well.

02-16-2014 03:09:39 | More by THE-DUDE
Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.