Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +5%

This is one great brew from Stone. Just amazing. Poured from the bomber into a glass snifter.

A: As black as night. This is amazing to see for a DIPA!

S. You can smell the hops as well as the caramel malt. The dark malt breaks through at the end of this hoppy beer.

T: Very tasty! The taste is of citrus hops -- which are bigger and badder than the Ruination brew -- and dark malt. The taste reminded me of a barelywine as the flavor was thick, hoppy, and malty all at once similar to barleywines I have had as of recent.

M: This one just sits nice in the mouth. The bitter dry taste is followed by a warm alcohol taste (which does not overwhelm the feel for this beer).

D: Easy to drink. Too easy so be wary of the 8.7% ABV.

Great creation by Stone. Can't wait to have my other one.

Jedimaster1, Oct 07, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

22 ounce bottle purchased from Beverage Warehouse in Los Angeles for $3.99

This beer had a lot of hype behind it and I would be the first to say that every last good thing you have heard is true

India Pale Ales are my favorite beer followed by Russian Imperial Stout, this beer was black like a stout, but definitely an IPA

Poured into my Dogfish Head snifter with an opaque black color

The head was a light tan color, about one and a quarter inch, faded quickly but lacing was evident the entire time afterwards

Smell was full of citrus, a lot of grapefruit with some orange and a little bit of lime

Taste was full of pine hops, this beer looks nothing like it tasted and was like nothing else I have ever had before

I am contemplating going and buying a case now

I want to see how these age, but I am little skeptical keeping any longer than a year because the hops will most likely fade

I think I will get twelve bottles and drink one once a month to see how they get over a little time, my usual rule with IPAs is maximum two to three months in the cellar, but I think the 11th might have potential to do good things with time

Taste lasted forever, which was yet another plus, could drink several of these, but alcohol content would definitely catch up to me afterwards

Highly drinkable and highly recommended, will be trying on tap next time I make it down to San Diego either at the Liars Club or PB Tap Room

Flawless brew and first of its kind, hopefully more brewers begin to do something like this because it is a great strong tasting bitter beer

This is Stone's best yet in my opinion, no questions asked

Buy as many bottles as you can before this beer is extinct in a couple months!

Floydster, Oct 07, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +9%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours an unexpectedly black and thick liquid. If I didn't already know what this beer was, I would definitely assume it was a stout by the look of it. It has a bubbly cream-colored head that lasts for a minute or so and settles to a patchy film of head and lace on top of the beer. Nice lacing is left as you drink it down.

Smell: The hops really jump out on this beer. Piney and citrusy smells right up from, with definite grapefruit aromas as well. You can literally smell the malty sweetness even before you take a sip! It's odd to smell a stout-like malt foundation with these kinds of hoppy smells.

Taste: Lots of citrus and pine flavors from the hops hit you right away. Also resiny and sour grapefruit flavors quickly follow from the hops. There is also a slight presence of more tropical fruits. The malt comes in right behind this and is quite sweet and thick and oh so malty! I never expected an IPA to have such a positively manly malt character. This beer is amazing! Never have malt and hops been melded so elegantly and so devastatingly! Serious goodness...I'm glad I bought six bombers of this nectar. Anyway, the end comes in with some moderate earthy flavors and a lingering citrus from the hops. The aftertaste finishes with a wonderful mixture of alcohol, piney/citrusy hops, and a great malty base for all of it.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is lively, but not overpowering for this beer. It's very complimentary actually. The body is quite thick and smooth as well.

Drinkability - This is a heavy-weight brew, no two ways about it. This beer is not for the faint of heart, as has been said of others. The flavors are strong all around and the body is thick and full.

This is one amazing concoction from Stone yet again! A delicious mixture of stout-like maltiness and a juicy and luscious hop character to boot! This is a must-have beer, and I must say I haven't had many like it (if any). Get your hands on one of these babies, if you know what's good for you!

dblinkhorn, Oct 07, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +4.3%

Leave it to Stone to create a complex beer of difference. I'm not sure it fits in a current category. Strong Ale, Old Ale well not that either. Stone calls it a Imperial BPA (Black Pale Ale). Well for me it poured beautifully, The thick tan head above a midnight black beer looked like the perfect stout(especially poured into a pint guinness glass), but the taste is anything but that similar to a stout. The head faded as the beer was drunk leaving a perfect lace ring to mark each sip's journey down the glass. I'm not sure I can describe all the flavors I'm tasting. First there's a strong flavor of roast coffee, and burnt malt, followed by a winey, nutty middle, that ends with the dry astingency found in this brewery most noted of hoppiest of beer like their IPA and Ruinnation. The winey flavor and the roasted hops converge to leave a long lingering aftertaste you will long remember. I had this beer in bottle and on draft within the last three days, the most notible different was the draft version had a very noticable alcohol burn, I'd even call it a rush of warmth that doesn't come through in the bottle. I still want to lay down a bottle of this complexed bottle of flavors for at 8.70% ABV the changes can only be interesting. Do pick up a bottle!

NJBeerguy, Oct 07, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +5.5%

Appearance: pours a black color with a thick two finger head that produces some thick lacing.

Smell: big malt sweetness, brown sugar, prunes, grapefruits, and a huge hop presence that leaps out of the glass. Soft alcohol tones are also picked up.

Taste: this is a bold brew. Huge malt profile produces a nice sugary sweetness, but the pine resin, grapefruits, prunes, and soft bitter chocolate tones balances this out wonderfully. Alcohol levels provide a warmth in the throat and belly.

Mouthfeel: lightly crisp at the start, smooth and a bit dry at the finish. Aftertaste is very long as the strong malt and big hop bitterness wraps itself around the tongue and doesn't leave for minutes. Heavy in body.

Drinkability: definite slow sipping beer, but extremely satisfying on a flavor front. This could be considered a meal if one had an empty stomach. The alcohol does come through as you finish the bottle, so more than the one bomber bottle would be dangerous. Awesome beer.

Gavage, Oct 05, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

The hop aroma jumped right out of the bottle before I had even poured it into my oversized snifter.

Pours a very dark brown, nearly black, with no light getting through. Looks almost like a porter/stout. Two-finger light brown, creamy head fades slowly with good lacing, leaving spotty sheets and rings down the glass. The head all but disappears, leaving a small cap in the middle that lasts throughout.

Hop aroma is right up front: some grapefruit and orange peel. It is very piney, with a sweet, malty background. Picked up some faint notes of chocolate and roasted coffee.

Initial tastes are floral, citrusy, piney hops. Grapefruit, followed by some sweet malts in the middle. Slightly bitter throughout, but the sweet malts keep things in balance. Bittersweet chocolate taste as it warms, but everything remains in balance. Nice long, dry finish.

Syrupy, full-bodied mouthfeel which coats the mouth nicely.

Easily drinkable, as the ABV is well hidden. I thoroughly enjoyed this bomber all to my lonesome, although next time I may think about sharing this one with a friend. Maybe.

MrMonkey, Oct 05, 2007
4.22/5  rDev 0%

Had this on tap at Concordia Alehouse the other night.

The beer pours an unexpected darkish color with very good head retention and lacing. The nose is pretty interesting, sort of a dry citrusy bitter aroma. On the palate this beer comes across as a dry dunkel, but with a significant hop wallop in the mid palate and finish. The beer is not heavy and is medium bodied, with a hoppy dry finish. The abv. is well disguised, and this beer is really prettry drinkable for a beer with 8.7% alcohol.

Very nice effort from Stone. I preferred last year's edition of this beer, but this is not bad.

John_M, Oct 05, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

The beer pours a black color with a thick frothy tan head that lasts. The aroma is great. It's loaded with rich malt aroma as well as tons of hops as well. It's quite complex with bit of roasted and black malts as well. The hops dominate the aroma. They're bold and add balance to a hefty malt bill. The taste is awesome. It has a pronounced roasted malt character. It's dark with a warming finish. It goes down hoppy and ends hoppy. What a beautiful beer. The hops resinate after the finish, but a lingering roasted malt taste remains. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a kick ass beer; one of the best IPA's I've ever had, black or not. I do enjoy the roasted character.

WesWes, Oct 05, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

I think it’s hilarious what name recognition does. I tried a VERY similar beer last week called BarrelHouse Boss Cox Double Dark IPA and all the reviews are substantially lower than here. Pours a very dark ruby, almost black with a couple fingers of lacy tan head that stays well. Smells of grassy hops and a little malt. Tastes malty with bitter almost pineapple hops with a different hop profile that I’m now realizing is particular to this style. Medium in the mouth with good carbonation. Took a little time to finish. The better of the two Dark IPAs that I’ve tried. Though it’s not a bad style, I still prefer is predecessor.

franksnbeans, Oct 05, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Dark brown body sits opaque in the glass with a large beige head that stays for the duration. Globs of sticky lace adhere to the glass.

Aroma of pine and grapefruit hops is graced by hints of dark chocolate and dark roasty malts.

Mouthfeel is light medium to medium in body with aggressive carbonation and a mild hops bite.

Taste is mostly about the hops, pine and citrusy grapefruit, but the dark roasted malts add some dark chocolate and coffee hints. I also detect a trace of anise underneath. Alcohol is cleverly concealed. A sharp, but pleasant, bitterness emerges as it warms to room temperature and seems to be both from the hops and dark malts. Very tasty.

Sone should just call this a black IPA and brew it on a regular basis. Not unlike Cincinnati's Barrel House Boss Cox Double IPA, but with Stone's signature hops array.

merlin48, Oct 04, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

From the color of this beer I would guess it was a robust porter or even a lower viscosity stout. From the aroma I'd guess its an big IPA or barleywine. Floral, citrus, and pine aromas dominate with toasty dark malts making a cameo appearance. Good beige head without a terribly aggressive pour, and the head persists quite well.

Taste is very IPA like, and reflects the elements of the aroma. Good bitterness, floral and piney hops with a hint of roasty bite and a sharp finish. Appearance aside, this is a tasty IPA.

Mouthfeel is good, despite a little dryness. Drinkability is above average, especially for a beer closing on 9% ABV. I'm a fan of this, its in the vein of Rogue's JLS #17 Brewer, perhaps not quite as well done, but tasty none the less. Makes me want to brew a porter and throw a bucket of hops into it!

Pooba001, Oct 04, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from bomber with much anticipation. One of the first "limited release" beers I've been able to find. Pours virtually black, some ruby hints with light, and a 1 finger tan head. Long lasting layer of head and nice lace trails left behind. Smell is strong of spruce, pine, and hops (cascade?). Taste is virutally the same. Strong hop notes up from with a bit of pine, notes of roasted grain as well and a hint of caramel, just a hint. Bitter aftertaste but smooth going down, light and crisp. A terrific beer!

bunnyhustle, Oct 04, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

22oz Bomber obtained at The Comet during their Stone's 11th anny pint night.

A: Pours a deep black with some red hues showing on the sides. Not what I excepted... everyone said this was a IPA/DIPA and I've never seen one black before. 1 1/2 fingers of cream colored head. Head settles into a 1finger pillow and laces most of the glass.

S: Huge hops up front. Getting citrus from them but I can't identify it. Plenty of sweet and toasty malted aroma to balance it out. Very interesting.

T/M: The first sip is a struggle between bitter hops and toasty malts. Even from the smell, I never expected the malts to contend with the hops this much... and it's not a bad thing at all. Hops do eventually take over in the finish and stay long after. I could definitely see some people not likely how strong of an aftertaste this leaves.... sucks for them. Full bodied and medium carbonation.

D: It drinks pretty heavy but just tastes so damn good. I'll be picking up more of this every chance I get.

pwoods, Oct 04, 2007
3.88/5  rDev -8.1%

So I've been practically stalking the local liquor stores waiting for this beer. I put it mildly I expect perfection and well stone almost can't win me with this one, but we'll give it a shot.

OK first thing is I opened this before it was cold enough so I'm a bit unsure.

Appearance. It's a black IPA. I mean...what more do you expect? It does create an amazing head. Almost too much and it takes it's time falling down.

Smell. As I opened the bottle it INSTANTLY hit me with the smell of hops. I've never had anything with a smell this strong. This defiantly has that grape fruit hop smell which is something I am not a huge fan of. I love hops but I don't care what ever type causes this. I'm already disappointed.

Taste. This beer has me really wondering if maybe the double IPA's have had in the past were just old or something. This is the first time I got a CLEAR feel and taste of the "oily" aspect of hops. In the past I often considered that a result of the malt or the thickness of the beer but this one really show cases it. The first impression was a blend of hops mostly creating that grapefruit flavor but with just barely enough malt backing to cover it up to make it enjoyable for me. For the most part at first I'm pretty much overwhelmed by hops and not much else. After sipping a bit longer I'm starting to find a different flavor coming out in the back ground. It's got a nice smooth base like effect that neutralizes the hops to some degree (almost a stout like flavor but that could just be the black color making me want to think that's what it is). It's definitely growing on me as I drink it but it's definitely not one of my favorite double IPA's if this is even a double. I'll definitely have to set one or two of these back and see if something fun happens to this with age.

Mouthful. Sticky, creamy, smooth. Very nice

Drinkablity. Cold you could probably throw this down with the best of them. Warm and it's a great sipper. They have a nearly perfect mix of the two. Very well done.

This is definately a differnt kind of beer from stone and for that I give them my praise. It's really not my style of an IPA but I can't hold that against them too much.

bobhits, Oct 03, 2007
4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

I don't drink a lot of Stone these days...at first i went through their offerings eagerly, enjoying the hops and aggressive flavors. But lately, its been a bit of an afterthought brewery for me...no real reason why, it's just gotten lost in the shuffle. So its nice to have a reason to go back, and an anniversary beer is a good reason (esp. since we missed out on stone's 10th here in South Bend). Pours very dark, black with hints of red. Rocky head settles in the glass to a whipped look. Knowing it's an IPA and seeing that its black like this kind of gives me the willies. Odor is all hops. Fresh and aggressive U.S. hops with definite grapefruit and grass character. Smells awesome. Taste is more of the same...a hop bomb riding on a thick sticky malt backbone. Bitterness trends towards the extreme. Finish leaves me with grapefruit pucker and sticky malt on my lips.
So its another big beer from Stone. The color is what makes it different, more than anything else. Might buy one more to cellar so i can see what lies beneath the hops, but only if i happen to encounter it in a store again before it gone.

aforbes10, Oct 03, 2007
4.22/5  rDev 0%

Bottle purchased at Hi-Time Wine Cellars in Costa Mesa
Looked very good. Poured a dark ruby red/brown out of the bottle
Inside the glass it looked black as night with no light passing through
Smelled spicy, fruity, and extremely hoppy
Tasted very very good. Lots of Cascade, Chinook, or something that graces most Stone's hoppier offerings
Mouthfeel was good. Very thick, yet smooth with a delightfuly hoppy bite
Drinkability is good as is with most of Stone's beers. I think I might like this one more than the much acclaimed 10th Anniversary. Another winner from Stone and another I wish would be a year round offering. Highly recommended

bradford, Oct 03, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +5.5%

So I picked up a bomber of XI, and IX tonight, trying the XI this evening, tomorrow I will do the IX.

I served in a tradition pint glass (moved, all I could find).

Apperance: A lot darker than I anticipated, being an IPA/ASA of sorts, I expected it to be a little lighter.

Smell: Hints of caramel, grapefruit.Hops smell beautiful, if a little understated.

Taste: Very bitter at first, yet smoothes out after a few sips. For as dark as it is, seems very light.

Mouthfeel: As I said above, very light, doesnt linger like most IPAs, or American Strong Ales. Very smoothe.

Drinkability: At first, I thought I would be dissapointed. But this beer gets better as you sip it, Almost half way done, and its real nice.. Very solid beer. Not dissapointed at all. Curious to try the 9th Anniversary tomorrow night, see how well its aged. Stone continues to never let me down..

JToad, Oct 03, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

9/23/07- Purchased at Dart Liquors in Stateline, NV.

Presentation- 22oz bottle, September '07 release. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Not quite as pitch black as the label memo says, but still pretty darn dark. Nice 3/4 inch fluffy head upon the pour which settles at a slight off white rim. Leaves behind very sticky patchwork lacing.

Smell- Scents of dark and roasted caramel malt. Pretty intense chocolate notes as well. And it wouldn't be Stone if it didn't have a nice bitter tear your nose hairs out hop aroma.

Taste- Hmmm, combo of a bunch of flavors. Coming up with a schwatzbier-ipa combo. Has a nice dark chocolate-caramel mixed flavor which is combined with a fresh grapefruit hop taste. Maybe even a slight note of coffee beans as well. Very interesting combo. I like it.

Mouthfeel- A bit in the higher carbonation range, but has a nice thicker and viscous dark malt and bitter aftertaste.

Drinkability- Pretty sweet to be a session brew, in fact one bomber was almost a bit too much, but I wouldn't turn down a pint if offered. Another quality and interesting style brew released by Stone.

GClarkage, Oct 02, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

A love child of a Stout and an IPA?!?!

Stone has done it again, taking an extreme and making it extreme(er?).

Upon opening the bomber, befor I even poured it into the glass, the aroma hits you and gets your mouth watering.

It pours chestnut brown with a mild storm that builds a light caramel head that rises to a finger or so then starts to fall and holds to a lacey ring.
I was impressed by the balanced battle of grainy roasty aroma with hints of coffee and molassas with the hops spicey piney strength.

My first sip dissappointed me with a lack of vicosity that my mind was preparing for. but that dissappointment was quickly slapped out of my head by the intence continuation of the aromatic battle for the nose.

usually(to me) flavors come in and fade out with different highlights throuout the taste and the glass. But this; everything is there the whole time, the malt, the hops pushing against each other for pallete dominance. neither gaining advantage over the other, until the very end. long after the sip is swallowed, the hops fade out leaving a satifying roasty bite that lingers until the next sip.

All in all agreat beer, but it is a thinker.

chefboy812, Oct 02, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

a - poured a three-fingers thick creamy and dense coffee-colored head into a snifter that left thick sheeting and lace with nice coating on the sides of the glass. the body was dark black and impossible to see through.
s - pine, muted citrus tones, with a light chocolate malt underneath that really comes through as it warms.
t - dry and citrusy hops at the beginning with a sweet coffee and chocolatey finish. with each sip you get the hops on the front of the tongue and a roasted malty taste on the back.
m - creamy and smooth.
d - considering stone's big hop presence this just begs to be quaffed. easily drinkable and really goes down smooth.

GPHarris, Oct 02, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

22 ounce bottle poured into a snifter glass.

A - Nearly pitch black brew with two full fingers of tan head sits in the snifter. Nice lacing rings are left behind.

S - Great citrus aromas with some grapefruit/orangey aroma floating around. Some tea like aroma is there too.

T -Wow, some bitterness and alcohol meld with the fruit and lead the way over some dark malt flavors. A little bit of chocolate flavor makes a nice, albeit brief appearance. Alcohol is definitely evident into the finish over those fruity tastes. Very interesting.

M - Nice medium/slightly heavy body with just the right carbonation for this unique brew.

D - So one of a kind. I'm loving it and I want more after every sip.

Notes: India Dark Ale???? The bottle states that the brewers kept everybody "in the dark with this IPA" and it really is like a hybrid of a few possible dark beer styles and an IPA. I guess Strong Ale is the only classification that makes sense but this beer has many characteristics of a barleywine, IPA, and even some stout and/or porter like traits. I guarantee some will love this and some will hate it, but everyone who appreciates craft beer should try it. Me, I'm a fan. I'll have to grab some more.

EStreet20, Oct 02, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

I poured a 750 ml capped bottle into a tulip.

A: It poured deep dark brown with a robust cameral head of nearly three fingers. The head was sticky and consisted of diverse sized bubbles that as they dissipated left a thick lacing down the side of the glass.

S: It has an underlying toasted, almost burnt, malt aroma that is hidden by an in your face hop aroma that is complemented by citrus notes.

T: This beer’s flavor is faithful to its aroma. The bitterness of the hops leaves a piney taste in you mouth. There is a slightly sweet malt flavor as well as a bit of sourness added by the citrus flavor.

M: It has a medium to full body with an aggressive hop bit that leaves a piney aftertaste. The alcohol leaves a dry tongue.

D: This is a one and out beer for me. However, I liked what I had. The burnt malt and hops are well balanced making this an entertaining brew. However, as with most hop heavy beers I am limited to one bottle (albeit a 750 ml bottle) per session.

Comment: I am not a hop head. This is a bit heavily hopped for me. However, I still enjoyed it. I think the bitter sweet malts and citrus flavors balance the hops pretty well.

dnichols, Oct 02, 2007

Rich, inky black pour with little light shining through. A moderate off-white head with a fair amount of lacing. Looks like black beer.

Aromas of grapefruit, pine. No doubt about it, this is an IPA! Hops are not overpowering, but are blended nicely.

As I drink this, if I close my eyes I swear I'm drinking an IPA, but when I look at the beer, my brain says no way. Very interesting brew. I like it.

A very clean finish. This is a smooth beer. The ABV is very well hidden.

Overall, a very drinkable and unique beer.

doppelmeup, Oct 01, 2007
3.73/5  rDev -11.6%

The color is dark, black with some red highlights coming through in the light. Poured into thick short pilsner glass. Nice thick head almost caramel color, disipated to a light foam across the top with some nice lacing.

Smell was hops upfront with a slight lightly roasted coffee aroma.

First sip and I get hops up front, and a light malty finish that masks the high alcohol content.

Drinkability was fine but too malty for me to keep drinking all night. 2 would be my limit, then try to find more Stone 10.

Overall excellent beer, VERY unique, I love that Stone always seems to suprise for their aniversary beer.

djwilson, Oct 01, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

It pours a dense, inky, stout-esque dark brown, impassable but for a blade of ruby at the very bottom. Two fingers of khaki head melt gradually to a velvety quilt of froth. Tapestries of lacing blanket the inside of the glass.

In the aroma, there's a murky mist of roasted malt, with caramel, brown sugar, and raisin. A whiff of biscuit falls before a happy onslaught of grapefruit and pine. A surprisingly temperate breeze of alcohol crisps things even further.

Upon sipping, the malt is briefly sweet before a light bitter char speaks of deep roast, and blueberry and currants come through crisply. The hops dash in on a valiant gallop of dry grapefruit, resiny pine, and poignant bitterness. The alcohol is hotter here, but far from scalding. A slight blanch of residual sweetness and biscuit is crisped, dried, and bittered in the finish. The full flavor profile almost sneaks up on you, because it takes a moment or so for the complexity and blending to ring out.

Full bodied, the malt is slick and treacly, and the peppery hop glow is assertive and pert.

As big as it is, much of the flavor, and the malt especially, is rounded and subtle, which is a testament to a fine blend of quality ingredients. It's a hoppy bastard but comfortably over-the-top, Stone-style. The punchy ABV is incorporated, and it warms agreeably, making the beer drinkable and fun, but also a touch dangerous. So, happy Anniversary, and thanks for letting me in on the celebration. And I'll revisit this one at six months and a year courtesy of my cellar.

Foxman, Oct 01, 2007
Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.