2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,621 | Reviews: 1,802 | Show All Ratings:
utopiajane

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a beautiful black walnut color with just a bit of a lighter hue that comes through at the bottom and around the edges. The foam is the color of light brown sugar. Sits atop this dark body like a cloud and falls slowly to a cap and ring with a film on top. Laces well and constantly refreshes.

Nose is out of this world. It's citrus. Grapefruit and pineapple. Some pine and a faint oniony quality. On the nose the malt is just nicely toasted with a good helping of brown sugar. It smells big and beautiful.

Taste follows the nose to perfection. The malt is burnt and toasted, roasted goodness. Smooth and flowing underneath all that hop character. The pineapple is sweet, the grapefruit is tart. There's some orange and some tangerine; pith and all to go with the pine. The onion quality is not bothersome on the nose nor in the drink. The malt is a little nutty and deeply sweet to hold up a very enormous bitter. The pine is sticky with resin and the bitter is dry. Floral hops are everywhere in this beer.

Stone has really outdone itself if you ask me. This is one great beer that brings together dark malt with a bit of bitter of it's own from the burnt and charred qualities and it's signature hop bitter. This was fruity and tremendously sweet. That sweetness deepens on the nose and in the drink as it warms but it never surpasses the tart fruits or the piney resin. The brown sugar goes so well with the orange. I'm in love. Sticky, sweet, full mouthfeel. I could drink this all day.

09-05-2013 14:10:56 | More by utopiajane
Tayloraphilips

3.88/5  rDev -8.1%

This is an IPA first and foremost. The dark malt character comes in only when you drink it around 40 degrees and its just a slight roast with touch of bitter chocolate that is easily lost. Big tart orange flavor with a slight pine resin bitterness throughout. Solid Stone IPA but nothing to go out of your way for.

09-03-2013 01:27:00 | More by Tayloraphilips
dowen17

Alabama

3.85/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Pours a dark dark brown with red highlights when held up to the light. Tan colored two finger head with good retention and great lacing.

On the nose is grapefruit and citrus. There are some dark malt scents lurking in the background and very mild, dark chocolate smell. Very faint, though.

Taste is very hoppy. Grapefruit is the dominant flavor here. Some dark malts come through in the middle and a big bitter pine punch at the end.

Mouthfeel is creamy and perfectly carbonated.

This is a very good beer. Pick it up if you can. Definitely worth the try.

08-31-2013 19:20:24 | More by dowen17
DemoniChris

Nebraska

4.88/5  rDev +15.6%

On tap poured in a snifter

A - Obsidian black with a 2-3 inch off-white head. Simply amazing.

S - Smells of tropical fruits, mild chocolate notes with a hint of roastiness.

T - Sensory explosion. Huge hop blast up front, which turns into a malty dry finish. Delivers on both hop bitterness and malt bitterness. Sublime stuff!

M - Sticky mouth coating feel that just seems right for a black IPA.

O - This is my favorite black IPA and one of my favorite beers. I'm so glad that this is on Stone's lineup and is available year round at a decent price!

08-29-2013 01:19:19 | More by DemoniChris
mikefuski17

3.35/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A. Pitch black. Small head and minimal lacing.

S. Smell is very hoppy. Enough said.

T. Extremely hoppy. But is very tasty.

M. Not too thick of a beer. But nice bodied beer.

O. The beer is strong and hoppy. Taste great though. Try it if you get your hands on it.

08-25-2013 01:29:52 | More by mikefuski17
PrinceofPastures

4.83/5  rDev +14.5%

I'm not afraid to hand out a 5. There's a time and a place to admit that a beer has done exactly what it came to do, and that's exactly what this bold Imperial Black IPA did. I'll admit it, I'm partial to Stone. Hailing from the Golden Coast, I was almost giddy for a taste of California-goodness when I pulled the bottle from its place in the 4-pack. But I also had very high expectations, and I was nervous that this might just be the first Stone beer to waste my hard-earned pennies.

Well, my worry had never been so needless. What a fantastic beer! It was a joy to look at, so relaxed - though assuredly thick and strapping - in the glass and almost smug in its appearance. I love it when a beer has a personality, and to only have to see it to know it's there is a special feeling. It knew it was every bit as good as the writing on the label claimed, and it wasn't afraid to show it. Rarely are beers this fittingly named!

All this to say, I hadn't really been giving the whole experience THAT much thought until the first sip. Immediately, I realized that I had to be damn sure to remember how the introduction went down, as this was a date with the glass that I'd want to remember. The flavor was the feel. I can only describe it as a huge sphere of experience that hits you, with the dark, malty power perfectly in balance with the impressive load of hops that makes your whole mouth prickle a little.

Because they have the ratio of taste nailed down exactly the way they want it, the fellas at Stone aren't afraid to ramp up the scale of boldness. What they've left us with is a beer that satisfies with every sip. It doesn't leave you wanting more in any sense of the word because it gives you everything already. In spades. And lets be honest, if you like Stone, this is what you looking for in the first place. Get yourself a glass but do save some for me, because this is a beer I'll be seeing again.

08-21-2013 23:04:41 | More by PrinceofPastures
lehueve

Mexico

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

A = Very dark brown, almost pitch black, 1 finger head

S = I actually get tons and tons of grapefruit, very citrusy, lots of hops, piney.

T = Grapefruit, grapegruit and more grapefuit, feels like I'm eating a complete grapefruit, when it warms up i get a little of caramel or sweet flavor, just a little and also a dark chocolate, not a sweet chocolate. Very hop forward.

M = Medium to full body, not too creamy but very well balanced. The bitterness stays for days after you finish this one. I actually drank a Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA after this one and still have the mouthfeel of the Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous after it.

O = This is actually only the second Black IPA that I have had, the other one was the Black Racer IPA from Bear Republic. I think this is a very good beer, I would probably enjoy this better during the day in a hot weather but overall, a very good beer.

08-17-2013 09:58:10 | More by lehueve
LaneMeyer

4.24/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle (enjoy by 11-19) into a tulip.

A - Very dark brown, 2 fingers of dark tan head.

S - Mango, pine, dark cherry, pine resin, bready maltiness, bubble gum, orange.

T - Pine, mango, taffy, raisin bread, citrus.

M - Very well carbonated, refreshing and light, yet thick and satisfying.

O - A really wonderful example of the style. Plus extra points for coming in a four pack, my favorite container style.

08-17-2013 04:10:10 | More by LaneMeyer
damndirtyape

4.24/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle, best by 09/26/13, served in a milkshake pilsner glass.

Appearance: Black, with cola brown color at the edges. Thin light tan with lots and lots of persistent fine strands of lacing.

Smell: Clean citrus, bready, leafy, with a hint of mint.

Taste: Roasted malt, some coffee and espresso notes, molasses, caramel malts, piney and citrus hops. All perfectly blended from start to finish. A great tasting beer.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy with just enough carbonation under it all. Some stickiness on the teeth.

Overall / Drinkability: Very very good beer. I really wish I had another this is so drinkable - full of flavor, great appearance and mouthfeel, and great with food (BLTs, tabbouleh, brownies for dessert). I will have to look out for a six pack of this one.

08-16-2013 22:57:06 | More by damndirtyape
spoony

Colorado

4.11/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

From a 355 ml bottle (the date code was smudged and illegible) into a nonic.

A-An aggressive pour produces maybe a half-finger of tan head that drops to a patchy cap after a minute. A stray bit of lacing remains on the glass. The brew is nearly black with only a speck of light getting through on the edges.

S-The smell is fantastic...for an IPA (or IIPA, I guess). Loads of tropical, citrus hop notes like orange, tangerine, and pineapple make me forget that the brew is basically pitch black. A touch of pine also pokes through. There is only a faint bit of dark, chocolatey malt underneath the hops to bring things back to reality.

T-The taste opens with the same citrusy, hoppy deliciousness as the smell, but it transitions to more bitter, earthy, spiced pine on the finish. Again, I could be drinking a IPA. There is a bit of dark malty fruit poking through the hops, but not much.

M-The feel is one of moderate heft, maybe a bit on the light side for the style, with medium carbonation that fits well with the flavor profile.

O-I should have expected a Black Ale from stone to pack loads of hops, but the tropical hop onslaught in this beer exceeded my expectations by a long way. The aroma is a real high-point. In fact, this is one of the better smelling brews I have tasted recently. That being said, I could have used a little more charred/chocolatey malts from this brew if I was going to judge to style.

08-15-2013 02:44:41 | More by spoony
dwren89

3.58/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: pretty much jet black with thin tan head, opaque so no discernible clarity

Aroma: roasty and malty, slight alcohol note, a slight meaty/cheesy note

Taste: very malty and roasty, but with a cheesy like flavor that just doesn't seem to fit. I don't know I I have a bad bottle or what (the drink by date is not for another 6 weeks and I have stored it in my fridge since I bought it). Overall not bad, but I didn't get the citrusy flavors nearly as much as the other reviewers of this beer did, which makes some sense as cheesy flavors are a result of degraded hops.

Mouthfeel: thick, chewy, and full bodied, medium-low carbonation

Overall: I think I got a bad bottle of this beer, because every other Stone beer I've had has been great. This one just had a funk to it that was a little cheesy. Great roasty and malty flavors with some solid bitterness on the finish.

08-15-2013 00:12:39 | More by dwren89
ISmith87

Arizona

4.54/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Another beer I've tried quite a few times, reviewing for the first time.

A - 4.75 - Great looking beer, dark brown/black/opaque with a light tan 2 finger head that sticks around for a while with some sparse lacing.

S - 4.50 - Citrusy/piney hops with a dark malt backbone and some hints of oats. Roasty/chocolate malts with a hint of coffee.

T - 4.50 - Citrusy hops are very intense with grapefruit/lemon/lime zest, some piney tones. Some roasted/chocolate malts but very in the background. Mostly hop flavor.

M - 4.75 - Great medium-high carbonation. Strong bitterness from the hops. leaves a nice bittery hoppy aftertaste. Slight hint of roastiness in the aftertaste.

O - 4.50 - Good beer, great black iPA, not as amazing as Stone's IPAs and Imperial Stouts. I'd probably say Wookey Jack is a bit better, with Dad's Little Helper (Rogue) and Dubhe (Uinta) being quite a bit below this.

08-14-2013 04:09:36 | More by ISmith87
tjsdomer2

4.11/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Solid black with very good white foam. Decent lacing.

Smell: Strong pine and coffee. Very earthy.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Initially lots of strong Cascade hops. Finishes with strong coffee. A bit too bitter, but very enjoyable. Mouthfeel is surprisingly crisp, rather medium-bodied for a black ale.

Overall Drinkability: I would have liked some more roasty notes in this beer, but it works as an IPA.

08-12-2013 02:17:51 | More by tjsdomer2
Crawfish61

Louisiana

4.44/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bomber $6.50 Expiration 8/31

Appearance- looks like a porter or stout with a beautiful brown head.

Smell - Like grapefruit dipped in Chocoate

Taste- Pretty much like the smell. Very delicious and I wish I had another bottle

Mouthfeel- very creamy and soft

Overall- First American Black Ale. Just awesome. Really enjoying the whole experience. Will be buying this again. Really enjoyed it.

08-09-2013 23:14:11 | More by Crawfish61
MWolverines66

3.51/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Had this on tap in Arlington VA. It pours a nice jet black color into a tulip glass. Aroma is a mix of chocolate and coffee. Taste is a little weird to me, not sure if it's possible that my palate just isn't appreciative of black ipa's (this is my first one) but there really isn't too much flavor to this beer. It has a nice balance but the hops bite I get from other IPA's just isn't there on this one.

08-08-2013 20:00:23 | More by MWolverines66
xseanprimex

South Carolina

4.54/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bomber into a nucleation glass.

A:Dark, but not blacked out. The head was inches thick and lasted well. Laced pretty good on the glass.

S:Smelled great. Sweet and dark, with a hoppy character backing up. Very complex smell. Stone does well.

T: Much like the aroma let on. Very dark and sweet with a strong bitter aftertaste. Great showing on a black IPA.

M: Almost oily. Spicy from the carbonation.

O:Great brew, very complex.

08-05-2013 00:59:52 | More by xseanprimex
BMMillsy

3.86/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours black with no head from the bottle. Aroma of sweet roasty malt, pine hops and sweet candy. Flavor is smoky malt and some pine hop bitter. Lots of smoke for a non smoked beer. Plenty of bite from the hops, with a nice clean bitter finish. Medium mouthfeel with more than adequate carbonation. Solid beer, but I’m not sure it belongs with the likes of Wookey Jack.

08-03-2013 01:51:39 | More by BMMillsy
StoutHunter

3.73/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Stone's Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale last week for $3.19 at The Lager Mill. I've been working on trying more beers from Stone and since I have never seen this beer on the shelf before I figured I should give it a try, so lets see how it goes. Bottling date was not visible, i think it rubbed off, but it just showed up at the store so I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The bottle looks pretty good with a big evil looking devil like figure that is pretty eye catching. It poured a pretty dark black color that didn't really let any light come through and it was pretty much pitch black with two and a half fingers worth of cream medium dark tan head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left lots of sticky rings of lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, there's nothing at all wrong with it, the head and lacing were awesome.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a nice mixture of hop aromas, the citrus hops seem to stick out the most with some grapefruit aromas coming through and there were some grassy and earthy hop aromas in the background. Up next comes the malts which show up a medium amount and impart some roasted malt aromas along with some light chocolate, coffee, caramel and smokey aromas with some more chocolate and caramel and maybe a little bit of toffee coming through towards the end. The aroma was pretty good, I liked the contrast between the hop profile and the roasted malts.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of sweetness followed by a pretty large amount of hops, the citrus, earthy and grassy hop aspects that I got in the aroma show up in the taste, but the they are much more balanced and the citrus hops show up just as much as the grassy and earthy hop aspects. Up next comes a medium amount of malts that impart a roasty, slightly charred and slightly smokey flavor with some lighter chocolate, coffee and caramel flavors showing up in the background. On the finish there's a lower amount of high bitterness with a bitter hoppy aftertaste with a slight bit of roasted malts coming through. This was a nice tasting beer, but I thought the hop profile could have had a little more citrus hop aspect like the aroma and I thought the bitterness was a little too much.

M- Not the smoothest, creamy, a slightly lighter amount of medium warming alcohol, on the fuller side of being medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel worked good with this beer for the most part but it could have been smoother.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and a nice example of the style, it had most of the aspects that I look for in the style, but the hop profile didn't impress me as much as other Black IPA's and the bitterness was just a little too aggressive in this beer. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it wasn't too smooth, and the alcohol was a little too warming for it's strength, but the flavors did a decent job at holding my attention, one would be enough for me, I think the bitterness would really start to wear on me if I had more then one. What I like the most about the beer was the appearance and aroma, they were both very good with appearance being the best, it may be the best looking Black IPA I have ever seen. What I liked the least about this beer was the flavor, it wasn't bad, I just wish the hop profile highlighted those citrus hops that I got in the aroma more and I thought the bitterness was just too intense for this beer, it would really help the drinkability if it was toned down. I wouldn't buy this again, it's no a bad beer, but there's many more Black IPA's that I like more than this one so I don't think I will be revisiting it anytime soon and I think it's a little overpriced but I would recommend that any fan of the style at least give it a try. All in all I was a little let down with this beer, Stone is very good with hoppy beers, but this one fell a little short in my eyes and it didn't have a hop profile that kept me coming back for me, better luck next time guys.

08-01-2013 03:49:59 | More by StoutHunter
jroberts8811

Missouri

4.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

on tap at Bier Station in Kansas City, MO. Poured into tulip

A-pours dark brown/black - cannot see through it. Head is minimal, to be expected with this ABV. tan/off white with great lacing.

S-smells of lime, hops, citrus, malt, brown sugar, dark fruit.

T- Bitterness from the hops ar the star. malt undertones, coffee, chocolate notes. Smoky/peat notes

M- medium bodied, somewhat sticky/resinous.

O- Great overall. well executed, though it's not my favorite style. Really big, bold flavors you'd expect from Stone.

07-26-2013 18:04:03 | More by jroberts8811
brureview

4.29/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This beer is best enjoyed with the suggested serving temp: 40-45F. The lower temps bring out
the grapefruit intensity and chocolate.

The beer poured an opaque chocolate color with less than a 1/2 finger head in a ballon glass.

The aroma was light chocolate with hints of coffee.

The mouth feel is moderately carbonated.

The taste is quite unusual: a grapefruit bomb laced with chocolate. A black IPA style- more hops, chocolate, roasted malts melded together.

As the beer warmed, more vanilla and less chocolate. It is better at colder temps.

The hops and the bitterness in the finish are indicative of the Stone Brewery signature.

This beer is unusual: diverse tasting elements are brought together in an odd balancing act: light chocolate aroma, intense grapefruit and a special- crisp, refreshing hops and bitterness.

07-26-2013 02:01:31 | More by brureview
Samp01

Pours an almost black color with a medium long lasting beige creamy head with good lacing. Aroma of citrus, orange peel, pine hops upfront with some good dark caramel chocolate malt. Taste is of dark chocolate malt, a bit of liquorices with a good amount of citrus hops. A medium to full oily body on the palate, slightly smooth with a sweet bitter sticky mouth feel. The finish is a combination of sweet dark caramel malt, chocolate some brown sugar, the ending is sweet bitter liquorices and citrus orange bitterness for balance. Caramel malt flavor shows through more as it warms up. Although a bit on the bitter side, it is an interesting combination of flavors, but still a very good and tasty brew, well done.

07-11-2013 20:08:08 | More by Samp01
Kuaff

Alaska

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I poured this bomber into a mug at cellar temperature.

It's got a dense, two-finger khaki head which sticks around awhile. This black ale is basically black, but it does have some transparency when it gets shallow in the glass... kind of like coke.

Smells like juicy, citric hops and chocolate. Somehow these two scents go VERY well together.

Tastes like hop cones drizzled with dark chocolate! A brilliant combination of resinous, tangy, grapefruity, bitter hops on the front end and roasted chocolate on the back end. It's kinda like bitter, unsweetened chocolate.

The mouthfeel isn't too pushy in any particular direction. It has seamless carbonation that just... fits.

This beer's title is well-justified. It IS righteous. Love it.

07-08-2013 17:36:46 | More by Kuaff
MistahBeah

4.44/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bomber best by 8/13

Appearance: Jet black with a tan coffee colored head. Lots of it too. 3 fingers originally that diminishes over time but never disappears. Lots of lacing with chunks clinging to the glass

Aroma: Big hop aroma. Citrus and grapefruit. Grassy earthy undertones. Malt background is roasty and sweet. Espresso and chocolate.

Taste: Starts out floral and fruity. Then big bitter hop profile with lots of citrus. Slightly minty. The flavor is big but the bitterness isn't overpowering. Mellows out with roasted coffee and bittersweet chocolate. Aftertaste is grassy and piney. There is also a pleasant smoky undertone throughout. Complex and enjoyable

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly light considering how much is going on here. Slightly slick and coating

Overall: Excellent. Very well-balanced with big flavors and very drinkable. Not much bad you can say about this. Affordable and very tasty. Approachable for fans of west coast IPAs and darker beers alike

07-07-2013 20:19:52 | More by MistahBeah
Justinomoore53008

4.05/5  rDev -4%

A - Dark, with a tan-like head. Looks like oil in the bottle.

S - Very bitter hops with a hint of citrus (when first opened). Towards the end of the bottle, the malt really comes out and the hops mellows away.

T - Mild malt taste with a strong hops aftertaste. It's rated at 90 IBU's but I would place it more around 80 or 85.

M - Heavy compared to most IPAs I've tried. Feels kind of thick when it starts to warm up, but not overly so.

Overall, I like it. It's the most expensive beer I've ever had, and certainly one of the best. Good job Stone!

07-01-2013 01:39:43 | More by Justinomoore53008
mverity

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Fresh, I don't care for this beer one bit. Too hoppy and the malt hasn't really developed much. Too smoky and roasty too. However, I sat on a bottle for like 6 months, and gave it another try, and holy crap it's amazing! It balances out so much better. The hoppiness dies down considerably, the smokiness too. The roasty maltiness tones down a ton too. Really smooths out and becomes extremely enjoyable.

07-01-2013 01:08:55 | More by mverity
Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.