2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,613 | Reviews: 1,801 | Show All Ratings:
morimech

3.58/5  rDev -15.2%

Not really black but dark brown. Two fingers of head forms and slowly settles to a thick cap. Moderate amount of spotty lacing is left on the glass.

Mostly hops in the aroma with hints of pine and citrus. Seems to be the popular hop bill for this style of beer. Missing roasted malt aroma however.

The flavor features a lot of hops which is not surprising. Mostly pine but also some grapefruit. Not really tasting the "black" part of this beer. A little smoke is about all I get. Bitterness is high.

Substantial body and nicely carbonated. Not porter/stout like in body but a little more than a typical pale ale.

In a blind taste test I doubt I could identify it as a black ale and not an IPA. What's the point then?

04-17-2011 18:16:11 | More by morimech
kojevergas

3.58/5  rDev -15.2%

1 pt 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Revewed live.

A: Pours a five finger head of lovely tan creamy lacing and great thickness. Retention is very good, especially considering the 8.7% ABV. Colour is a solid brown-black, very dark indeed. It's very appealing.

Sm: It's extremely hoppy - I get citra and maybe cascade. Nothing gets through other than the (overly?) dominant hop aroma. Aroma is moderate in strength.

T: Hoppy goodness is dominant, with a soft blanket undertone of light cream. It gets too bitter on the climax due to the hop overload, but they did what they could to compensate. For the style, it's really quite nicely built. It's simple, which lends itself naturally to easy balancing. For what it is, it's quite lovely.

Mf: Smooth and wet, but also very soft and light without being thin. I might call it velvety if I were more pretentious.

Dr: Incredibly drinkable for the ABV - which itself is cleverly hidden. It's priced right (at least in California) and though it lacks complexity, I'd certainly have it again, particularly if I found it on draught. A nice offering from Stone that every beer fanatic should try.

09-19-2011 06:19:11 | More by kojevergas
flyingpig

United Kingdom (Scotland)

Black with a 2mm thick, tan head that stays the same throughout

Dark hops upfront that are quickly followed by some mild malt notes and tropical fruit aroma that lingers on the nose. It is a rather fruity smelling dark IPA.

Some dark hops and malts, the hops being stronger. The same tropical fruit taste from the smell. There are hints of spice towards the end too.

Medium bodied & with minimum carbonation, the beer has a bit of a kick to it and has a dry finish that lingers in the after taste. The drink is smooth & good on the palate.

I found this one a nice introduction to the Black IPA style of beer and rather enjoyed this one although it didn't really blow me away in any respect but still a nice, solid dark IPA.

More @ http://abarwithnoname.wordpress.com

11-09-2011 21:34:59 | More by flyingpig
Roose13

22oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Closest color to black without being black. Huge head on the initial pour, beige in color. Head drops to a centimeter and lingers throughout the beer. Lacing is beautifuk

S: Not a huge fan of the smell of black IPAs. Citrusy, which I do like. But the hoppiness isn't one of my favorite smells in a beer. To each their own.

T: Strong. Roasted malts, very very hoppy, which I enjoy now and then. These beer is so bold and robust in flavor that a big-time hophead would love this.

M: Easy to drink in terms of texture but the intensity of the hops and flavor make you really sit back and enjoy it.

O: Excellent beer. Not something I will drink often (may enjoy as the weather really turns cold). Stone is awesome. Need I say more?

10-08-2012 03:55:50 | More by Roose13
dwren89

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: pretty much jet black with thin tan head, opaque so no discernible clarity

Aroma: roasty and malty, slight alcohol note, a slight meaty/cheesy note

Taste: very malty and roasty, but with a cheesy like flavor that just doesn't seem to fit. I don't know I I have a bad bottle or what (the drink by date is not for another 6 weeks and I have stored it in my fridge since I bought it). Overall not bad, but I didn't get the citrusy flavors nearly as much as the other reviewers of this beer did, which makes some sense as cheesy flavors are a result of degraded hops.

Mouthfeel: thick, chewy, and full bodied, medium-low carbonation

Overall: I think I got a bad bottle of this beer, because every other Stone beer I've had has been great. This one just had a funk to it that was a little cheesy. Great roasty and malty flavors with some solid bitterness on the finish.

08-15-2013 00:12:39 | More by dwren89
ccrida

Oregon

3.6/5  rDev -14.7%

Poured into a nonic, Stone's 11th Anniversary is black with a very large, thick, rocky tan head that leaves heavy lace.

Smell is overwhelmingly sweet, citrus hops, grapefruit to the extreme. Smells fine, but really more like grapefruit juice then beer, although with enough sweet malt and alcohol to make the difference clear.

Taste is pretty good but rather unusual. Basically a big porter with a huge charge of citrus hops. The hops are so citrusy that they're more akin to the sourness of, again, grapefruit. There's a bit of astringency from the black malt as it warms. The finish is a bit boozy, with just enough bitterness to let you know your actually drinking beer. Lots of flavors, but they seem very disjointed, lacking synergy. I think I'd really like this better if they went with EKG or another English or Noble hop, rather then the PNW "C" varieties, but still, it's quite nice. Funny how thinking outside of the box ceases to be so when you do it the same way every time....

Mouthfeel is very creamy, with a suprisingly light, yet not thin body.

Drinkablity is about average. The booze is certainly there, and I'm not to fond of grapefruit juice, even if it is as sweet as this. However, like most Stone brews, that second half of the bomber goes down way to quick! Still, I couldn't really take to big of a swig, that weird sweet and sour combo was just too much. I had this right when it came out, and this one tastes about the same, maybe a hair sweeter, but I think the store kept it chilled the past 3 months, as the hops are still in full effect. I'm gonna cellar one just to see what happens in about 2 years. Sure the hops will fade, but dark beers really develop well in my experience, and I expect a whole new animal by then.

12-02-2007 08:24:56 | More by ccrida
DannyS

3.6/5  rDev -14.7%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a bodum double-walled glass.

A - Pours a clean, pitch black with an inch or so of tan head hat dissipates into a very thick foam collar, with long, sticky tendrils of lacing.

S - Kinda weird and musty on the nose, with some raisin and licorice amongst the must odor.

T - Starts of with a bit of hop bitterness (seems coffee-like at times), with pine and citrus backing it up. Licorice, dried fruit, and oak mingle as one sips, with an almost slightly minty aftertaste and a dry finish.

M - carbonation is minimal and the body is medium-heavy. Close to an impy stout in its feel.

D - The ABV is high and the booze can get to you if you're soloing this bomber. That, combined with the bitterness, make this a clear sipper. I'm already feeling it and I'm not even halfway through the bottle. Phew...

Overall - If this beer truly is self-righteous, it kinda lacks the quality to back it up. It's definitely not bad, and I'd drink it again if offered some, but you'd expect a beer with a name like this to be way better than just good. It definitely looks pretty and gets you buzzed quick, but the flavor could definitely be more balanced. Then again, since when has Stone Brewing been about balance?

(Note: I drank this too cold. It gets better with a little time to warm up to cellar temp.)

12-07-2009 03:25:52 | More by DannyS
scooter231

3.6/5  rDev -14.7%

I forget about this beer style quite a bit, which is crazy considering Arrogant Bastard (and oak aged, and double) is one of my favorite fall-backs, and the Utopias I had once pleased me to the tips of my toes. When I picked this up I had no idea what it was- I just saw Stone, and Self-Righteous, and I was sold. If I hesitated at all, the long, verbose description would have pushed me over anyway.

SO! Pours a dark chocolate, nearly motor oil but not quite, and no light is getting through this sucker. Tan, poofy head that looks creamy and leaves nice lacking and some pretty designs on top. So far, I am pleased.

Smells chocolatey and sweet, but it's not cloying. There's some smokeyness, almost like burnt yoohoo. Caramel comes through, as well as some roasty toasty malt smells. There's something slightly burny and off-putting about it (can we say alcohol content?) but I forgive it.

Oh man, does this taste good. It's bitter up front, with some chocolate, caramel-y, light brown sugar in the middle, finishing with some definite roasted biscuity flavors. It's like Arrogant Bastard's slightly less flavorful, less brash, more sophisticated little brother (or sister, or whathaveyou.) It's tasty if you don't want to get punched in the taste buds like AB does.

Mouthfeel is a little weak, a little thin, but hey, can't have it all! Overall this is, indeed, self-righteous and I enjoyed it. If you want to introduce AB to someone, and you're not sure how they'll handle it, start with this guy.

01-12-2010 04:12:50 | More by scooter231
ToddT

3.6/5  rDev -14.7%

A- Black liquid topped with a well formed one finger head. Head fades slowly to a cap and leaves lots of lace on the glass.

S- Nice blend of pine and grapefruit hops.

T- Big blast of grapefruit hops to start, slowly diminishing into a pine resin finish. Finish is dry and slightly astringent with some alcohol heat.

M- Medium in body and well carbonated , for all of the hops in it the finish is relatively clean with only a minor amount of hop oil left on the palate.

D- Pretty drinkable for a big beer but the 8.7% ABV does show through in the finish.

Another over hopped beer from Stone, this one could be a case of a little less would be a lot more. This one just doesn't stand out from the rest of their offerings.

03-16-2010 03:53:18 | More by ToddT
Vixie

3.6/5  rDev -14.7%

This is one dark beer. Pitch black, with a large tan head.

Smell is mainly hops, with a hint of malt and yeast.

Very complex taste. Reminds me a lot of am imperial stout, but with a large dose of hops. There is coffee and chocolate in there, and a bit of smoke as well. The hops are pronounced, adding an almost fruity bite.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin for how dark this beer is, I expected something a little thicker.

An interesting beer. I really don't care much for IPAs, so scored this one a bit lower than I might have otherwise. Still, this is a very complex beer, which scores points with me. There is a lot going on here, the only thing keeping me from really loving this is the high hops content. If you are a fan of hops, you owe it to yourself to give this one a try.

04-17-2011 02:00:47 | More by Vixie
PorterLambic

3.6/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours a deeply dark brown borderng on absolutely black. A medium tan head retreats to a thick, creamy looking film that leaves some awesome lacing behind.
Smell is hops aplenty, after warming for about 10 minutes faint notes of malt and brown sugar.
Taste is hoppy, citrusy, malt and
Warming with a medium-to-full body. A somewhat sharp effervescence that fades quickly and a dry finish to end with. A good beer, quite enjoyable. It appears "black ale" means Dark IPA. Fine with me but a bit of notice, eh?

04-22-2011 02:34:34 | More by PorterLambic
jdhende

3.6/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Espresso Black

S: Extremely hoppy. I didn't get a whole lot of other smells besides hops in this one.

T: Hops, hops and more hops. Strong roasted and chocolate flavors. The beer finishes bitter and dry.

M: This one packs a big punch. This one is definitely full.

O: That's hops are overpowering on this one. Not a bad beer, just isn't very well balanced in my opinion.

01-03-2012 02:38:02 | More by jdhende
Damian

Drank from a 1 pt. 6 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Julio's Liquors, Westboro, MA
Enjoy by 10/27/12
Drank from a pint glass

The beer poured a dark chestnut brown and was topped by a two-plus finger tall crown of tight, bubbly, cocoa colored foam. Excellent retention. The head slowly faded to a thick cap. Spotty blocks of lacing stuck along the glass.

The aroma was remarkably hoppy. Candied orange peel was most noticeable. Somewhat grassy. There was a generic, sweet fruitiness that was well matched by a dry, powdery yeastiness. The malts were practically nonexistent. If I tried hard, I could pick up a touch of roastiness, but perhaps that was just my imagination.

Like the nose, the flavor profile was dominated by hops. In this case, however, the hops were much more bitter and punchy. A touch of roasted malts and cold coffee appeared on the front end before the hops took over. The hops had an orange peel-like flavor initially. As the beer moved along my palate, the hops intensified, turning super dry, pithy and grapefruit-like. The beer finished bone dry, super bitter and resiny with strong notes of pine needles. While the flavor profile may not have been my cup of tea, I was amazed by how well this beer buried its alcohol prowess.

The mouthfeel was a bit thinner than anticipated with a very fine and mild effervescence. The liquid felt surprisingly watery for the style.

Had I not been able to look at this beer, I would have sworn that it was an IPA. Neither my nose nor my palate could pick up any more than an inkling of roastiness or malty sweetness. Personally, I would prefer a bit more balance, but what can you expect from Stone?

09-17-2012 03:12:35 | More by Damian
warmstorage

3.63/5  rDev -14%

22 ounce bomber, $5.69 at Brown Jug Warehouse store in Anchorage, AK.

Appearance: deep brownish, like a porter. Leaves significant light-brown lace. Creamy thick dense head.

Aroma: Hops and pine and brown sugar and burnt sugar.

Taste: Wood and sugar and hops and pine and leather and roast. Lots and lots going on here. Hints of dark Belgian ale. (Reminds me a lot of a dark strong Belgian ale style.) Hints of citrus. Hints of earth. Hints of rubber. Lots of hints, few direct statements.

Mouth: Thick and slick, tingly spicy with mark to hot alcohol that lingers.

Overall: Decent, drinkable, even good. But extraordinary? No. I'm sure that Stone devotees will disagree with me, but this just isn't that great (especially after the truly fantastic Stone X.) There is just too much going on in it to pin anything down.

4/5/2008: bomber was $5.19 at Safeway liquor on Mill Bay Road, Kodiak, AK. Bottle states September 2007. Same same. Meh, even. No rating numbers changed.

09-30-2007 04:40:33 | More by warmstorage
ghostwalker

3.63/5  rDev -14%

22 oz bomber purchased at Red Wagon Wine Shop, MI.

Appearance is deep, dark chocolate brown/black with a creamy finger of tan head.

Nose is rich yet tangy malt with a citrus blast.

Flavor begins with a tart maltiness with a piney hop finish. Reminds me of the Rogue Blackened Brutal Bitter homebrew kit I made last year. Are these Amarillo hops? I think they may be involved in the alchemy somewhere. It's an interesting brew, I have read that this is described as a black IPA, seems apt.

Mouthfeel is creamy with an aspirin chalkiness on the finish.

I like it, but it's less than highly drinkable, one bomber will go down well.

An interesting brew. I like what Stone does with their anniversary beers, but the 10th may always be my favorite, too bad that didn't age well.

07-25-2008 00:18:42 | More by ghostwalker
nd5282

3.63/5  rDev -14%

A relatively muted after taste for an IPA. However, the mellow easy going character lead to the subsequent enjoyment of a few other pints. Bitterness factor is minimal and overall flavor versus drinkability ratio is superb. I personally bought multiple bottles to cellar and failed miserably at being patient.

01-05-2009 10:20:08 | More by nd5282
HalfFull

3.63/5  rDev -14%

Served into a large wine glass from a capped 22 oz. bottle. Deep brownish/black on the pour with ruby highlights and with an inch of glistening tan foam. Nice clear body. Retention is fairly strong, maintaining a quarter inch cap for a while before surrendering to just a light ring.

Rich pine and citric hops on the nose and caramel notes of decent depth, opening to some toasted flavors and a light coffee bean, coupled with a hint of smoke. Not very volatile overall however, becoming a bit hard to gather without a fresh spin.

Coffee and roasted malts carry forward to the flavor. Bit of cherried caramel and some hop spice and bitterness are evident. Smell and taste seem reminiscent of Arrogant Bastard in many ways, with more roast and a bit of char in the flavor yet quite similar in hop structure. A bit harsher on the palate than AB.

Carbonation is light making for a smooth and slightly viscous feel. Not quite enough to be syrupy in nature, but still a dense offering from Stone given the malt body and the ABV. Slightly dry and astringent in fact on the finish from the roasted malts, keeping the feel and drink in check.

I've had this on tap a few times and I recall notably more balance and depth. I find the flavors from the bottle to be a bit too distinct, particularly with regard to burnt coffee flavors. Beer needs to warm up to fully appreciate.

01-10-2010 06:15:33 | More by HalfFull
kiddynamite920

3.63/5  rDev -14%

A: Pours a very, very dark brown. Near black color with a tan head. Fluffy head is lasting quite a while and leaving a bit of lacing as it recedes slowly. Nice head for a strong ale.

S: Nice big malt backbone on this one. Caramel and dark malts are quite nice here. Of course this being a Stone brew, the hops are also quite present. Not too much bitterness from the hops, yet rather a floral and near fruity quality. The malts are winning this fight though, some alcohol heat that accentuates the hop profile.

T: Has a savory flavor, getting a beef jerky/soy sauce type flavor. Smokey malts and a very bitter hop presence. I am reminded of the GUBNA meaty flavor and the soy sauce in Expedition stout. Not nearly as evident as either though. Hop bitterness is balancing the big malt backbone out well. Just a bit of some strange flavors mingling here.

M: Carbonation is at a good spot. This one has been sitting in the cellar for a month or so, may have mellowed the hops a bit. Still falls a bit short, relatively thin mouthfeel. Leaves a bit of a sizzling carbonation on the teeth.

D: This beer is definitely drinkable, very full of flavor. Not sure the flavors going on work well together but it sure is interesting.

05-30-2010 03:55:30 | More by kiddynamite920
ChadQuest

3.63/5  rDev -14%

Looks great, as it has a pleasent amount of lasting bubbles and head and lacing, with a dark brown body and tanish head.
Aroma is good too, and there is no mistaking this s an ipa with your eyes closed, alot of cascade-esque hops and citrus on the nose, with a light milky coffee note.
taste is just like a cross between a citrusy IPA and a porter, with most of the action being done by the hops, and a light roasty note taking some jabs. the mouthfeel is really creamy, and its really easy to drink.
Pretty simple overall honestly, i didnt find alot going on, but everything there is well done.

09-17-2010 05:30:05 | More by ChadQuest
ncfranklin

Alabama

3.63/5  rDev -14%

My first Black IPA, from one of my favorite breweries. Let's see how this goes....

A : Black, with just a small brown tinge. A nice finger thick brownish head, with some sticky lacing that's quite frothy.

S : Hops and roasty coffee swirled together. Picking up pine and a burntness. This is just... odd smelling. If you like IPA's and Stouts, imagine the two together and you'll get pretty close.

T : Big bitter up front, almost overbearing. Pine and burnt quality to it. Fades into a malty coffee, but still with a hop underlayer. Finishes with a bite, more roast.

M : Medium bodied, with a good tinglyness. Somewhat like the more medium bodied stouts, but with no creamy quality.

D : A unique brew, that is a rage on the senses. A bomber of this is all ones palette could take. Bonus points for being unique. Overall, I like it, but it isn't something i'd have often. I just simply prefer more direct styles.

11-04-2010 02:56:12 | More by ncfranklin
abrand

3.63/5  rDev -14%

23 ounce bomber poured into a pint glass shared with a friend.

The Sublimely Ale pours a deep brown almost black color. Nice tan colored head that leaves a decent amount of lacing. Aromas are coffee, malts and slight hints of raisins and prunes. Taste is pretty hot and almost too alcoholic. The alcohol overpowers a lot of the other flavors on the quaff. A nice hop finish rounds out the taste. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with good carbonation. Drinkability is mediocre. I think this will do really well with a little age on it.

12-08-2010 02:34:24 | More by abrand
9InchNails

3.63/5  rDev -14%

Wow! A very tan almost a stout-like head. The head abruptly took off as I was pouring it. The body is almost opaque but has ruby red entwined with the darkness.

A fruity pine smell that is very strong. The aroma is really amazing. The smell of citrus hops and malt is very pronounced... It's in your face!

A bitterness of hops and pine in the beginning then an almost sweet roasted malt and a bitter backbone as it finishes. I taste grapes, pineapple, some roasted malts. There is a slight taste of a boozy taste but nothing extreme. It's quite different tasting but good.

Medium body, you can tell the body is thicker than average Ales when the beer hits the lips. Lightly carbonated.

I don't think I can have another one, it's a little too heavy. The smell of booze towards the last third of it is getting extremely more pronounced.

Overall, not a bad beer. If I saw it on tap I would order one immediately, just to see if their is a taste differential.

12-15-2010 01:26:40 | More by 9InchNails
KTCamm

3.63/5  rDev -14%

Served on tap at Coalhouse Pizza in Stamford CT. All beers served in 16 oz mason jars.

Pours dark black, wisps of off white foam, but otherwise very clear. Smell and taste are roasted, get the sensation of a stout with a little more IPA hop backbone. Residual bitter. More stout than IPA though. Good beer, full of flavor.

02-13-2011 00:35:05 | More by KTCamm
TexIndy

3.65/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass. Lasered enjoy by date on bottom of 8/18/09. Was dark brown almost black in color with some mahogany edges against the light. Good lacing. It had a massive 3 finger than head that ever so slowly settled to a constant foam.

Being Stone, the aroma was heavy hops - floral and pine resin. Also had some darker fruit aroma in the back. Not much else could escape the hops. The taste was really good but definitely a hop attack. Tonuge is shredded barely a 1/3 of the way into it. I like bitter hops but this one just goes over the enjoyable line into the pain area. Makes it tough to finish since numb at the end.

Overall, a really good beer that definitely brings the hops. For me, this is a good sharing beer as it's painfully bitter after awhile. Glad I got to try it as I missed getting the Stone 11 (this is that just re-released and re-labeld) but one is enough.

[1x]

07-12-2009 03:02:24 | More by TexIndy
ManVersusBeer

3.65/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours deep and dark like a stout or coca-cola with its red-tinged hue. Head is big and fluffy and the lightest brown around, but lingers until it settles nicely on top of the brew. Lacing is quite thick and prominent.
Smell is bitter hops with a roasted note. There is a weird plastic-like bitterness mixed with lemon and its rind coming through as well.
Taste is pine and citrus to start then melds into a woodsy tree bark feel. Roasted hazelnuts with a bit of toffee and alcohol are present on the lips before more pine, orange and bittersweet lemon oil approaches.
Mouthfeel is smooth and fatty, kinda like bacon, and carbonation is light. It goes down quite easily and doesn't seem to be 8.7% like the label says, but when it is all finished the head and body will definitely experience the alcohol.
A solid brew with interesting flavors and roast. It's hard for Stone to do wrong.

03-24-2010 23:53:03 | More by ManVersusBeer
Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.