2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,630 | Reviews: 1,803 | Show All Ratings:
ShanePB

3.13/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Sampled last night, 22 oz bomber, shared with a friend. From memory...

A: Muddy black, supple tan head that left some great lacing and a moderate cap throughout the tasting.

S: Roasted grain malt, bitter hops, ash, black peppercorn. This smells great but I worry these roasted qualities may not play as well as I hope with the bitterness.

T: Bitter hops are up front followed by some charcoal and grass. The overall roasted qualities here are too weak for the bitterness of these hops. I was expecting the hops, obviously, but thought the definite dark malt profile would be a bit more present to balance this out. Disappointed.

M: Wild carbonation, medium-bodied, smooth.

D: For me, this is hard. I love IPAs and in general Black IPAs but something about this one is just hard for me to get down, let alone an entire 22 oz bottle. Luckily I shared.

I wouldn't go for this again unless it was on draft somewhere. Understandably so an IPA, though it still needs balance, something I feel the Sublimely is lacking.

12-19-2010 13:07:37 | More by ShanePB
stevenseg

3.13/5  rDev -25.8%

I picked up this bottle of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing out of Escondido, California at my newly-adopted corner beer store after a long Friday to arm myself for the weekend. Being a stout lover, I recently found myself fitting the hophead mold, so the recent black IPA trend is lending to both ends of the spectrum of my palate. Black IPAs have that hop character we all love paired with the roastiness of a light stout of porter. Usually complex given the dichotomy of the style, and I expect SSRA to live up to the Stone standard and really please my palate.

SSRA pours a deep red hue...almost black. The head pours to a healthy presence, dissipating to a thin film of lacing to greet the nose. I am a fan of thick stout beers...the darker and less viscous the better. This beer doesn't have too heavy a body and isn't too dark as too much of either would kill the IPA character.

The nose hits with a blast of hops, but only because I'm trying to pick out the "black" and the "IPA" in beers of this style. However, the roastiness and fruitiness of the of each element settle in to a faint grape-like smell...like burying my nose in a glass of Welch's.

The bitter back end of the IPA is the most dominant characteristic of this beer. There is a bit of roastiness up front that shares space with the short-boil hops, but the bitterness of the Chinook, Simcoe & Amarillo hops used in the long boil really takes over this beer. The "black" character really only lingers in the aftertaste. No solvent taste protrudes despite the rather high 8.7% ABV. At least 89 of the 90 IBU's are used up in the bitter back of the palate. More black, less bitter? I'm trying to taste fruity character or other taste elements, malt, but all I get is bitterness. There might as well be no "black" at all.

The texture of the beer is pretty typical Stone. A little more thickness, ala Arrogant Bastard, would have been appreciated. Adjuncts were used to increase the ABV without increasing body, and that's never a good thing. Skimping on malt is never a good thing, especially with the intended audience of Stone beers.

Do I like SSRA? Absolutely! But a style that has so much complexity is cheated by imbalance with this ale. The complexity, which is nonexistent in SSRA, typically is a focal point of black IPA's, but the hop bitterness is by far the dominant characteristic. I like to review beers according to the intent of the brewmaster, but even after doing some research on the Stone sight I can't tell what the intent actually is. The marketers have spent so many words pushing the "arrogant" mantra there is no attention paid to what the beer is actually supposed to be.

I can sit down with a bomber of SSRA, but if I'm in a mood for a black IPA, I'll do some scouting for a bit of a better representation.

04-16-2011 01:32:22 | More by stevenseg
jwolfie70

3.15/5  rDev -25.4%

I have had several bottles of this beer. It is definitely changing with age, and is getting mellower. When first released the beer was very raw, with hops overdominating and destroying. The beer is mellowing nicely and the roasted malt qualities are starting to poke through. Definitely still a hop bomb. I am interested to see where this beer will go.

02-04-2008 19:45:51 | More by jwolfie70
BeerTruth

Connecticut

3.18/5  rDev -24.6%

22 oz. bomber poured into a nonic. I had this beer back in the summer and I didn't get a chance to review it but remember it being pretty hoppy. Now it's "Spring" here in Syracuse, let's see how a few months treated this brew.

Clarkson lost tonight to Michigan 2-0, so I'm avoiding beer from that state tonight (unfortunately).

Pours a dark sludge brown with a big two finger tan head that dies down to a layer of big bubbles. Stickiness is pretty solid, no complaints there. Smell is interesting; pine hops, bitter cocoa, light citrus, and creamy caramel. A coffee aroma is present in the nose as well. Flavor is earthy hops from start to finish with some molasses and brown sugar. Pretty bitter as well, too bitter actually, sounds just weird associating that witch such a dark beer. The coffee grind flavor is there which adds more to the bitter effect. Very dry in the mouth with a full medium body. Strong carbonation on the tongue. I guess being classified as a Strong Ale is a pretty good fit seeing it beat the shit out of my mouth. I just wasn't feeling this beer. Maybe I'm crazy or just pissed off about Clarkson losing.

03-30-2008 03:21:06 | More by BeerTruth
Anthony1

Colorado

3.2/5  rDev -24.2%

poured into a snifter

pours a black with a tan head, not much lace.

smells a bit like chocolate with a dark mix of fruit, but not anything special.

taste was a bit upsetting, bit piny with chocolate/coffee medium feel, but not great after taste,

was kinda of upset with this beer, not going to repurchase.

06-22-2009 01:30:28 | More by Anthony1
mactrail

3.2/5  rDev -24.2%

Dark bitter ale with no hint of fruitiness.

Very dark brown, looks inviting. Doesn't taste dark, however. Very austere, no hint of sweetness in the malt. more like a hint of soy sauce. Hops jump right on without much aromatic foreplay and keep at it. Seems surprisingly light-bodied for a strong, dark ale. Has a very odd taste of metal at the end, an edge on the teeth.

I think this is one of my least favorite Stone ales. For the hard core IPA drinker, for sure.

07-12-2010 04:46:35 | More by mactrail
davexisxrabid

3.23/5  rDev -23.5%

Waited about a year to drink this brew...

Poured a nice dark brown color in the light, almost black when it sat there in my glass. Tiny head fizzled out almost immediately. The slick brew did leave lots of lacing on my glass during the drinking period.

Aroma was of floral hops and a scent that was reminiscent of soy sauce.

Interesting dark malty flavor like unsweetened dark chocolate and hoppy bitterness. The hop bitterness was not too prevalent but noticeable.

The lingering bitterness was a bit excessive, maybe due to roasted malts providing a dry flavor and the hops. Not much alcohol present in the aftertaste or lingering on the taste buds.

Good drinkability for a bold, full bodied brew but the rich flavors would keep it from being a session beer for me.

A good beer but falling short of what I would expect from Stone.

12-29-2008 17:58:47 | More by davexisxrabid
donmonkey1

Tennessee

3.23/5  rDev -23.5%

Appearance: Dark brown,almost black. Nice frothy tan head with excellent retention and lacing.

Smell: Citrusy pine hops.

Taste: Blended pine needles

Mouthfeel: Medium body, lack of carbonation.

All I can taste is the hops, and I'm not a fan of these particular hops. That doesn't take away from the fact that this is a quality beer, but I don't care for it much. As a side note, this was first brewed in 2007 as the Stone 11th Anniversary Ale.

02-21-2012 22:46:43 | More by donmonkey1
DavoleBomb

3.23/5  rDev -23.5%

Poured into a snifter. I admit I'm not a fan of Black IPAs, but I figured I'd give this one a go anyway.

3.5 A: Black color. Two fingers of frothy tan head. Retention is average for style and plenty of lacing is left.

4.0 S: Pleasant marriage of citrusy hops and roastiness. The two seem to get along better in this than in morst BIPAs. Lots of orange with pine and grapefruit in the background. Roastiness without muc chocolate or caramel.

3.0 T: The taste doesn't work too well though. Citrus with roasty burntness simply isn't a tasty combination. At least this isn't overly bitter like a lot of the style. Roasty foremost, orange and grapefruit second, and pine and char last.

3.0 M: Lighter medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Lacking the creaminess that most BIPAs seem to have.

3.0 D: Average for a below average style.

03-03-2012 07:04:20 | More by DavoleBomb
mdwalsh

Iowa

3.23/5  rDev -23.5%

Large head of tan on a black body. Maybe the head is a little too big? But it does have retention!

Aroma is great, a nice balanced hoppyness

Taste, not so much. There's an astringentness and background chemical blech kind of taste. The hop malt balance here is just terrible in my opinion.

The mouthfeel is fine. This beer is in what always think of as a kind of awkward alcohol range. Not low enough to be a quaffable, session beer with bright carbonation, not high enough to be a real thinker with a mild, low carbonation. But I think this sits in a pretty good balance.

However, I just can't get over that taste. Probably my biggest disappointment from Stone ever.

12-31-2012 16:33:53 | More by mdwalsh
AlexanderSelby

3.25/5  rDev -23%

Black, but bloody mahogany around the edges when held to the light. Nice head, but the bubbles are actually real large, which always makes me think of soap, but it's no biggie. Smells like I just opened a bag of hops. Straight up. These guys are particularly earthy and piney. Definitely heavy handed hopping going on here, and from the start I was weary for the hop-bomb to come. And it came. I get no roasted or sweet malts at all, so I wonder why even bother with the more expensive, less fermentable black malts...unless you are just being self-righteous and showing off. Which I guess is the point of this beer.

All in all, ditch the black and just go for the IPA. There's hardly any difference in this case, and all you are doing is getting my hopes up for some sweet or roasted malt backbone, which in this case, doesn't exist. As the name suggests, I think this one is just a pissing contest with the black IPA trend. With that said, if I was blind and didn't know it was black, I would just think of it as an other west-coast hop bomb ipa which, depending on my mood, I could take or leave.

*Okay. This beer needs to open up! As my beer warms, the malts are starting to show. There is a burnt brown sugar quality to it now that was not there before. There is also a touch of it in the nose. Still, this quality is virtually hidden behind the hops. Everything above still stands, but I just thought I needed to add that in.

02-17-2011 01:30:52 | More by AlexanderSelby
MONKandTUCK

3.25/5  rDev -23%

OK, so I bought into the hype. I had to make a selection, so why not get on my way and take the bottle OT Stone that everyone has been talking about...

Visuals: poured freely into a La Trapped goblet... a rich two inch tan head forms like cream over pitch black ale. Not as viscous as the Sam Smith RIS enjoyed the other night, but my taste buds are already preparing for a luxuriously silky ale with dark fruit and roasted flavors. Head subsides, w/o long, into a hair-thin head.

Aroma: Father, I have a confession. I know this beer is supposed to LOOK one way and ACT another, but that luscious looking beer I just poured has me hankering for big roasted and dark fruit aroma!

Talk about identity crisis!!! it might look like Guinness, but it smells like a glass of fresh-squeezed Grapefruit juice.

"Cha'lie Murphy, what did the glass of Stone day to the nose?

SMACK, Bitch!"

Flavor: It's marginally more complex than your standard IPA. In truth, any extra complexity is lost to the gritty hops... juicy hops are in turn overwhelmed by booziness. It finishes dry, but is actually chew deeper in. The coarseness isn't so much in the finish, so I'm not struggling to finish the bottle, but it becomes nondescript.
Ok, it is dark. Then either make OT a classic lean IPA or gimme something interesting to work with: premium base malt, toasted malt, dark fruits, roast/smoked/astringent character.

I like my IPA to be West Coast. Malt character belongs elsewhere. This beer is so big it has to be malty. There's such a thing as too much. I found it here.
Plenty of alcoholic burn that just doesn't work in a hop-centric beer.

Mothfeel: chewy - not just because of caramel malts... It's nor THAT sweet.... dry finish, but not lean or crisp enough.

I get it, the discrepancy between the appearance and taste are meant to make your head spin... in reality the conflict comes between the attempt to make an IPA and something too boozey and one-dimensional.

Measuring this on it's style, I'm ok giving a beer that drinks like an IPA while looking like a Stout high marks for... well, looking like a Stout and not an IPA. That's not the same as tasting like an IPA and drinking like something fat and sloppy!!
Schwarzbiers and many exceptional Porters pull off being dark AND crisp/light-bodied. So why shouldn't an IPA? :-/

Overall: ranking it on its style I guess you can say Sublimely hits all the marks, but in reality this is a style that doesn't do much more than market American IPA's. So it plays a Mindfu**k, I'm not finding a palatable reason to get this beer again, or sponsor this style.

06-10-2011 18:54:00 | More by MONKandTUCK
djaeon

3.28/5  rDev -22.3%

I couldn't find this at my local liquor store, so I bought a bottle on my latest trip up to Stone. I read that this is a repackaging of their 11th Anniversary dark IPA, so I knew what to expect when drinking this one.

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass with a one finger, light tan head. Looks like a very dark, opaque brown color. You can't see through it.

Smell: All I really smell here is hopps with a citrus undertone.

Taste: Lots and lots of hopps. I feel the bite in the back/sides of my tongue, and bitter hopps and citrus are really all I taste.

Mouthfeel: Except for the bite mentioned above, It feels pretty smooth in the mouth. Perfectly carbonated out of the bottle.

Drinkability: I started drinking it right out of the fridge, and it was a little tough. As it starts to get closer to room temperature, it gets a little easier to drink.

Serving type: Bomber

03-11-2009 00:13:30 | More by djaeon
ibbjamin

3.28/5  rDev -22.3%

Paid $6.99 for a bomber from Healthy Spirits in San Francisco, CA. After reading, I find this is the 'reincarnation' of their 11th Anniversary Ale. I pour into a large snifter to review.

Dark brown to black in color. Half inch dense and frothy tan-colored head. Excellent lacing. A very thin layer of frothy retention.

Sweet and lightly roasted caramel malts nicely balanced with aromas of wet hops. Some hints of raisin, wood and cocoa. Robust, earthy and fresh.

Taste is very well balanced and as equally complex as the nose. Alcohol well hidden.

Medium bodied and surprisingly quite dry. Wish it was a bit more carbonated to add life to the mouthfeel. Short and sweet finish.

02-17-2010 03:58:09 | More by ibbjamin
scruffwhor

3.28/5  rDev -22.3%

Maybe, couldbe be black, but is more of a blackish brown color with garnet highlights. Two finger, sandstone head that recedes to a nice film of foam througout all 22 ounces.

Pretty aggressive hop aroma. Grapefruit zest to the point of atringency in the nostrils. Gives me the same feeling as spicey Chinese mustard in the sinuses. I like that in my mustard, but not in my beer. I can barely smell a dark roasted malt at all.

The same aggressive, biting grapefruit and lime zest bitterness up front and the middle. Whatever roasted malts are detected towards the finish of the flavor profile, seem to exacerbate the hop bitterness of this brew. I don't detect the abv. but I wonder if that adds to the increases the effect of the hops bitterness.

Astringent and bitter is all I can come up with for the palate. I was expecting a little more fr this beers palate and flavor.

Still a sipper for me. I like bitter beers, but this just didn't sit so well for me.

05-04-2010 05:22:55 | More by scruffwhor
LarryV

3.28/5  rDev -22.3%

Pours a dark stout like black with a generous head. Aroma is slightly malty and wort like. Taste is very similar, a bit raw tasting with a bit of grapefruit like hoppiness. I really wanted to like this beer but in the end, one is enough for me and I won't be revisiting it. It was a bit of a chore to finish the entire bottle.

05-29-2010 02:52:09 | More by LarryV
Glennlawless

3.28/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured into a 16 oz Tulip Glass

A - Very very dark brown almost black. I got a nice inch thick head that was a nice beige color. leaves nice lacing as well.

S - Getting some sweet malts, dark fruit, caramel, and tons of grapefruit.

T- Has a bit of a piney after taste. a little oakey as well..almost "herbal" if thats the right word....Right when you sip you get a combo of grapefruit and sweet malt. really interesting. I feel like this is too heavy for a stout. Almost a confusing flavor as well.

M - Somewhat creamy and well carbonated.

Overall, this is definetley a pretty cool beer. Worth checking out, not my favorite though.

09-13-2013 02:04:37 | More by Glennlawless
ncvbc

3.3/5  rDev -21.8%

Well, I must say that this one was an upset in my book. Initially what seemed to be promising left me wondering why.

This poured a nice dark color, near black with ruby brown highlights. Nice carbonation and an off-white near tan head with some lacing.

Smell was great! It was like a Ruination on crack. Powerful sugary citrus hops. Very strong and filled the air when I popped the cap. Again, not much of a piney hop presence, but sweet grapefruit, orange, and other citrus scents dominate. I feel like I'm in for something lovely...

Taste tells me otherwise immediately. Very bitter hop presence. Seems like it packs way more punch than it holds. The hops are more piney here than citrus as suggested before and almost puckering to me. A slight caramel malt but it doesn't do much for balance. I'd much rather go with a Ruination, Arrogant, or the plain IPA for that matter.

Mouthfeel is bitter and drying. It make me feel like I have cotton mouth, if you know what I mean. Almost numbing to the tongue and the lips. Not so impressive.

I split two bombers, each with a different friend of mine, and the perspective seemed to be the same...this beer doesn't live up to the expectations. A pint would be alright but I get the point quickly here. While I'm sorry to say it, thanks, but no thanks.

Younger35, you're still the man. Looking forward to the next exchange, sir.

10-19-2007 01:32:28 | More by ncvbc
sweethome

3.3/5  rDev -21.8%

Pours a dark brown to black - porter darkness. Off white creamy head.

Piney hops in nose with malty sweetness and lsight nuttiness.

First taste is hops, the malts are medium, not as big as color. Malts fail to develop a unique or complex flavor. The hops are piney with medium bittering - why add the dark malts if they aren't going to add complexity? Why have the significant hop load if it's just dressing up a meiocre dark beer?

For an IPA, hard to drink much, for a porter, not enough satisfying malts.

I'm disappointed in this offering.

10-26-2007 01:49:04 | More by sweethome
HiAIPA

Maine

3.3/5  rDev -21.8%

From a 22oz. bomber, this unique black IPA was a bitter bomb from start to finish. The cooked roasted profile hits you on the nose, with chocolate malts and broasted grains. With good head and a nice quaff, an IPA porter hybrid comes to mind. The flavors tilt to the bitter side of IPA-land, with roasted dark nuts and barleycorn leading the pack. Overall a good, distinctive IPA, but a little bitter for my bulls-eye.

10-13-2009 17:42:37 | More by HiAIPA
Sachsenfreude

Germany

3.33/5  rDev -21.1%

appearance; very dark brown to almost black. When poured a little bit rough, a stiff tan head will form and dissipate slow, leaving great lacing, looks to me like the walls of a quarry.

smell; fir tree like resin and camphor, oh no not one of these over hopped crap-brews, that everyone seems to love, I hope. Some malt sweetness is present but mostly dominated by the hops.

taste; evergreen like hop bitterness that carries into the finish and leaves a bitter aftertaste. Look for fir trees, they have smooth bark and blisters, pop one of the blisters and suck out the sap, that's the main flavor of this beer. Yet some sweet malts are also there and try to round out the intense hops but fall short. Keeping the style in mind, this is quite a well made beer and the alcohol is well hidden but the balance is off and the hop bitterness hangs around too long after the beer is consumed.

mouthfeel; like velvet, really feels nice in the mouth with lovely and gentle carbonation. Almost perfect, well done here.

drinkability; a very smooth and crisp drink but the bitterness from the hops hangs around for too long and one is enough for me.

Note; I'm trying to be nice and keep the style in mind, but in general, I hate IPAs of all kinds. However this one was not so bad and I could certainly appreciate the bitterness. I'll never be a hophead but this was a fine drink to be sure.

11-17-2010 17:53:57 | More by Sachsenfreude
sensorglitch

Ontario (Canada)

a - dark, blackish , good head

s - citrusy spicy

t - reasonable taste, citrusy, hoppy, sharp

M - decent

d - good

To be honest, this is a really mediocre , I was not impressed. Maybe i would have been a little more impressed by a beer from a lesser brewery, but this is by far a low point for stone.

01-01-2010 23:46:19 | More by sensorglitch
MNJR

3.35/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Color is dark brown, almost opaque with hints of orange-ish ruby red where light can get through. Head is rich tan and very impressive - whipped cream consistency. Immediate scents of dark roasted coffee, smoke, spice (black pepper), dead pine and an odd, sweaty B.O. "old tennis shoe" odor which detracts. The flavor is sharp and pungent, musty and rich with smoke and earthy basement flavors. The mouthfeel is very good, rich with a nice spiky carbonation. Drinkability is a bit low due to thick gunk collecting on the back of the tongue and throat. Not a true winner. Stone was over-hyped for introduction to my market (Chicago), and has turned out to be no big deal compared to Founders, Bell's, New Glarus and other reputable midwest brewers. Plus, the price is sky high and not justified. So they ship it from CA? Big deal. A good beer, don't get me wrong, but not "great," and not "sublime."

10-21-2010 23:09:08 | More by MNJR
mikefuski17

look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A. Pitch black. Small head and minimal lacing.

S. Smell is very hoppy. Enough said.

T. Extremely hoppy. But is very tasty.

M. Not too thick of a beer. But nice bodied beer.

O. The beer is strong and hoppy. Taste great though. Try it if you get your hands on it.

08-25-2013 01:29:52 | More by mikefuski17
altctrlsdelete

3.38/5  rDev -19.9%

Pitch black with a tan head, half an inch tall and persisting. Craters and bubbling on the surface, slowly dissipating to a quarter of an inch.

Biscuity nose, minimal if any hop notes that I can detect. The roasted malts are on full display here.

More roasty, solid malts in the mouth, with more of a hop balance with a very bitter aftertaste. Dry finish. It seems, dare I say, simple to me, with up front roastiness and a simply bitter finish. Maybe an undertone of sweetness to go with that, perhaps a hint of fig. I feel like I'm missing something, but it seems straightforward.

Slight carbonation and a solid feel. Not too thin and not overly viscous. Some spiciness from the hops is present here too.

The alcohol is carried well, but overall I find this somewhat disappointing. There's just not enough that I'm able to appreciate going on in this brew. I wouldn't go out of my way to have this again.

Same style as Arrogant Bastard? Really? I don't see it. This is closer to a porter by my taste.

07-26-2009 20:54:07 | More by altctrlsdelete
Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.