Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

4.83/5  rDev +14.5%

I'm not afraid to hand out a 5. There's a time and a place to admit that a beer has done exactly what it came to do, and that's exactly what this bold Imperial Black IPA did. I'll admit it, I'm partial to Stone. Hailing from the Golden Coast, I was almost giddy for a taste of California-goodness when I pulled the bottle from its place in the 4-pack. But I also had very high expectations, and I was nervous that this might just be the first Stone beer to waste my hard-earned pennies.

Well, my worry had never been so needless. What a fantastic beer! It was a joy to look at, so relaxed - though assuredly thick and strapping - in the glass and almost smug in its appearance. I love it when a beer has a personality, and to only have to see it to know it's there is a special feeling. It knew it was every bit as good as the writing on the label claimed, and it wasn't afraid to show it. Rarely are beers this fittingly named!

All this to say, I hadn't really been giving the whole experience THAT much thought until the first sip. Immediately, I realized that I had to be damn sure to remember how the introduction went down, as this was a date with the glass that I'd want to remember. The flavor was the feel. I can only describe it as a huge sphere of experience that hits you, with the dark, malty power perfectly in balance with the impressive load of hops that makes your whole mouth prickle a little.

Because they have the ratio of taste nailed down exactly the way they want it, the fellas at Stone aren't afraid to ramp up the scale of boldness. What they've left us with is a beer that satisfies with every sip. It doesn't leave you wanting more in any sense of the word because it gives you everything already. In spades. And lets be honest, if you like Stone, this is what you looking for in the first place. Get yourself a glass but do save some for me, because this is a beer I'll be seeing again.

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.