Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros

msanborn, Aug 02, 2013

Hopheadjeffery, Aug 01, 2013

Jame515, Aug 01, 2013
3.73/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Stone's Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale last week for $3.19 at The Lager Mill. I've been working on trying more beers from Stone and since I have never seen this beer on the shelf before I figured I should give it a try, so lets see how it goes. Bottling date was not visible, i think it rubbed off, but it just showed up at the store so I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The bottle looks pretty good with a big evil looking devil like figure that is pretty eye catching. It poured a pretty dark black color that didn't really let any light come through and it was pretty much pitch black with two and a half fingers worth of cream medium dark tan head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left lots of sticky rings of lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, there's nothing at all wrong with it, the head and lacing were awesome.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a nice mixture of hop aromas, the citrus hops seem to stick out the most with some grapefruit aromas coming through and there were some grassy and earthy hop aromas in the background. Up next comes the malts which show up a medium amount and impart some roasted malt aromas along with some light chocolate, coffee, caramel and smokey aromas with some more chocolate and caramel and maybe a little bit of toffee coming through towards the end. The aroma was pretty good, I liked the contrast between the hop profile and the roasted malts.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of sweetness followed by a pretty large amount of hops, the citrus, earthy and grassy hop aspects that I got in the aroma show up in the taste, but the they are much more balanced and the citrus hops show up just as much as the grassy and earthy hop aspects. Up next comes a medium amount of malts that impart a roasty, slightly charred and slightly smokey flavor with some lighter chocolate, coffee and caramel flavors showing up in the background. On the finish there's a lower amount of high bitterness with a bitter hoppy aftertaste with a slight bit of roasted malts coming through. This was a nice tasting beer, but I thought the hop profile could have had a little more citrus hop aspect like the aroma and I thought the bitterness was a little too much.

M- Not the smoothest, creamy, a slightly lighter amount of medium warming alcohol, on the fuller side of being medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel worked good with this beer for the most part but it could have been smoother.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and a nice example of the style, it had most of the aspects that I look for in the style, but the hop profile didn't impress me as much as other Black IPA's and the bitterness was just a little too aggressive in this beer. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it wasn't too smooth, and the alcohol was a little too warming for it's strength, but the flavors did a decent job at holding my attention, one would be enough for me, I think the bitterness would really start to wear on me if I had more then one. What I like the most about the beer was the appearance and aroma, they were both very good with appearance being the best, it may be the best looking Black IPA I have ever seen. What I liked the least about this beer was the flavor, it wasn't bad, I just wish the hop profile highlighted those citrus hops that I got in the aroma more and I thought the bitterness was just too intense for this beer, it would really help the drinkability if it was toned down. I wouldn't buy this again, it's no a bad beer, but there's many more Black IPA's that I like more than this one so I don't think I will be revisiting it anytime soon and I think it's a little overpriced but I would recommend that any fan of the style at least give it a try. All in all I was a little let down with this beer, Stone is very good with hoppy beers, but this one fell a little short in my eyes and it didn't have a hop profile that kept me coming back for me, better luck next time guys.

StoutHunter, Aug 01, 2013

Cynic-ale, Jul 29, 2013

Sweffin, Jul 29, 2013

Pers, Jul 29, 2013

largefarva, Jul 29, 2013
Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.