Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,805 | Reviews: 1,903
4.43/5  rDev +5%

So I picked up a bomber of XI, and IX tonight, trying the XI this evening, tomorrow I will do the IX.

I served in a tradition pint glass (moved, all I could find).

Apperance: A lot darker than I anticipated, being an IPA/ASA of sorts, I expected it to be a little lighter.

Smell: Hints of caramel, grapefruit.Hops smell beautiful, if a little understated.

Taste: Very bitter at first, yet smoothes out after a few sips. For as dark as it is, seems very light.

Mouthfeel: As I said above, very light, doesnt linger like most IPAs, or American Strong Ales. Very smoothe.

Drinkability: At first, I thought I would be dissapointed. But this beer gets better as you sip it, Almost half way done, and its real nice.. Very solid beer. Not dissapointed at all. Curious to try the 9th Anniversary tomorrow night, see how well its aged. Stone continues to never let me down..

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

9/23/07- Purchased at Dart Liquors in Stateline, NV.

Presentation- 22oz bottle, September '07 release. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Not quite as pitch black as the label memo says, but still pretty darn dark. Nice 3/4 inch fluffy head upon the pour which settles at a slight off white rim. Leaves behind very sticky patchwork lacing.

Smell- Scents of dark and roasted caramel malt. Pretty intense chocolate notes as well. And it wouldn't be Stone if it didn't have a nice bitter tear your nose hairs out hop aroma.

Taste- Hmmm, combo of a bunch of flavors. Coming up with a schwatzbier-ipa combo. Has a nice dark chocolate-caramel mixed flavor which is combined with a fresh grapefruit hop taste. Maybe even a slight note of coffee beans as well. Very interesting combo. I like it.

Mouthfeel- A bit in the higher carbonation range, but has a nice thicker and viscous dark malt and bitter aftertaste.

Drinkability- Pretty sweet to be a session brew, in fact one bomber was almost a bit too much, but I wouldn't turn down a pint if offered. Another quality and interesting style brew released by Stone.

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

A love child of a Stout and an IPA?!?!

Stone has done it again, taking an extreme and making it extreme(er?).

Upon opening the bomber, befor I even poured it into the glass, the aroma hits you and gets your mouth watering.

It pours chestnut brown with a mild storm that builds a light caramel head that rises to a finger or so then starts to fall and holds to a lacey ring.
I was impressed by the balanced battle of grainy roasty aroma with hints of coffee and molassas with the hops spicey piney strength.

My first sip dissappointed me with a lack of vicosity that my mind was preparing for. but that dissappointment was quickly slapped out of my head by the intence continuation of the aromatic battle for the nose.

usually(to me) flavors come in and fade out with different highlights throuout the taste and the glass. But this; everything is there the whole time, the malt, the hops pushing against each other for pallete dominance. neither gaining advantage over the other, until the very end. long after the sip is swallowed, the hops fade out leaving a satifying roasty bite that lingers until the next sip.

All in all agreat beer, but it is a thinker.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

a - poured a three-fingers thick creamy and dense coffee-colored head into a snifter that left thick sheeting and lace with nice coating on the sides of the glass. the body was dark black and impossible to see through.
s - pine, muted citrus tones, with a light chocolate malt underneath that really comes through as it warms.
t - dry and citrusy hops at the beginning with a sweet coffee and chocolatey finish. with each sip you get the hops on the front of the tongue and a roasted malty taste on the back.
m - creamy and smooth.
d - considering stone's big hop presence this just begs to be quaffed. easily drinkable and really goes down smooth.

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

22 ounce bottle poured into a snifter glass.

A - Nearly pitch black brew with two full fingers of tan head sits in the snifter. Nice lacing rings are left behind.

S - Great citrus aromas with some grapefruit/orangey aroma floating around. Some tea like aroma is there too.

T -Wow, some bitterness and alcohol meld with the fruit and lead the way over some dark malt flavors. A little bit of chocolate flavor makes a nice, albeit brief appearance. Alcohol is definitely evident into the finish over those fruity tastes. Very interesting.

M - Nice medium/slightly heavy body with just the right carbonation for this unique brew.

D - So one of a kind. I'm loving it and I want more after every sip.

Notes: India Dark Ale???? The bottle states that the brewers kept everybody "in the dark with this IPA" and it really is like a hybrid of a few possible dark beer styles and an IPA. I guess Strong Ale is the only classification that makes sense but this beer has many characteristics of a barleywine, IPA, and even some stout and/or porter like traits. I guarantee some will love this and some will hate it, but everyone who appreciates craft beer should try it. Me, I'm a fan. I'll have to grab some more.

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I poured a 750 ml capped bottle into a tulip.

A: It poured deep dark brown with a robust cameral head of nearly three fingers. The head was sticky and consisted of diverse sized bubbles that as they dissipated left a thick lacing down the side of the glass.

S: It has an underlying toasted, almost burnt, malt aroma that is hidden by an in your face hop aroma that is complemented by citrus notes.

T: This beer’s flavor is faithful to its aroma. The bitterness of the hops leaves a piney taste in you mouth. There is a slightly sweet malt flavor as well as a bit of sourness added by the citrus flavor.

M: It has a medium to full body with an aggressive hop bit that leaves a piney aftertaste. The alcohol leaves a dry tongue.

D: This is a one and out beer for me. However, I liked what I had. The burnt malt and hops are well balanced making this an entertaining brew. However, as with most hop heavy beers I am limited to one bottle (albeit a 750 ml bottle) per session.

Comment: I am not a hop head. This is a bit heavily hopped for me. However, I still enjoyed it. I think the bitter sweet malts and citrus flavors balance the hops pretty well.

Rich, inky black pour with little light shining through. A moderate off-white head with a fair amount of lacing. Looks like black beer.

Aromas of grapefruit, pine. No doubt about it, this is an IPA! Hops are not overpowering, but are blended nicely.

As I drink this, if I close my eyes I swear I'm drinking an IPA, but when I look at the beer, my brain says no way. Very interesting brew. I like it.

A very clean finish. This is a smooth beer. The ABV is very well hidden.

Overall, a very drinkable and unique beer.

3.77/5  rDev -10.7%

The color is dark, black with some red highlights coming through in the light. Poured into thick short pilsner glass. Nice thick head almost caramel color, disipated to a light foam across the top with some nice lacing.

Smell was hops upfront with a slight lightly roasted coffee aroma.

First sip and I get hops up front, and a light malty finish that masks the high alcohol content.

Drinkability was fine but too malty for me to keep drinking all night. 2 would be my limit, then try to find more Stone 10.

Overall excellent beer, VERY unique, I love that Stone always seems to suprise for their aniversary beer.

4.31/5  rDev +2.1%

It pours a dense, inky, stout-esque dark brown, impassable but for a blade of ruby at the very bottom. Two fingers of khaki head melt gradually to a velvety quilt of froth. Tapestries of lacing blanket the inside of the glass.

In the aroma, there's a murky mist of roasted malt, with caramel, brown sugar, and raisin. A whiff of biscuit falls before a happy onslaught of grapefruit and pine. A surprisingly temperate breeze of alcohol crisps things even further.

Upon sipping, the malt is briefly sweet before a light bitter char speaks of deep roast, and blueberry and currants come through crisply. The hops dash in on a valiant gallop of dry grapefruit, resiny pine, and poignant bitterness. The alcohol is hotter here, but far from scalding. A slight blanch of residual sweetness and biscuit is crisped, dried, and bittered in the finish. The full flavor profile almost sneaks up on you, because it takes a moment or so for the complexity and blending to ring out.

Full bodied, the malt is slick and treacly, and the peppery hop glow is assertive and pert.

As big as it is, much of the flavor, and the malt especially, is rounded and subtle, which is a testament to a fine blend of quality ingredients. It's a hoppy bastard but comfortably over-the-top, Stone-style. The punchy ABV is incorporated, and it warms agreeably, making the beer drinkable and fun, but also a touch dangerous. So, happy Anniversary, and thanks for letting me in on the celebration. And I'll revisit this one at six months and a year courtesy of my cellar.

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

This bottle is consumed (without hesitation of course) in honor of Michael Jackson.

A - Black (dark brown) brew with a large head that dissipates leaving thick intricate lacing all down the sides of the glass. The inital head had the same cascade effect as guinness. Quite attractive.

S - Faint caramel, chocolate and black patent under a viscous onslaught of hops. A very spicy, white pepper dominates with a more subtle pine and lily aroma.

T - The dark flavors are subdued, but there is a detectable flavor of black patent and even a touch of cocoa. But the real flavors are in the hops, the hop assault is peppery with a hint of pine. Aftertaste is a potent bitterness that leaves you craving another sip. Very nice.

M - Smooth, medium bodied, very refreshing in spite of the harshness from the hops.

D - Wow! The abv is felt quickly. Distribution of this beer is wide, but, hell, I might pick up a few of these as trade bait for the future. I suppose the claim that it is not a stout and not a porter, but a black IPA is warranted. It is basically to a porter what an IPA is to an ESB. So really, it is a black IPA. I am guesing more breweries will produce one of these soon.

4.9/5  rDev +16.1%

you can describe this beer with one word...WOW! i just finished drinking a bomber out of a stone IPA glass and i can say i was stunned with this beer...

pours a dark brown almost black...great smell of grapefruit, slightly piney...nice tan head that holds really well...the taste is excellent, great hop presence but it is very well balanced...the 8.7% abv is hidden quite well, it can sneak up on you...

i gave this beer all 5's except for drinkability which got a 4.5, only reason is it seems to sneak up on you and could be dangerous...this beer is awesome, get it while you can...

i grabbed a half a case and i am kicking myself for not grabbing a full case...i will definitely be back at the store very soon to pick up a full case, this is too good...

4.55/5  rDev +7.8%

22 oz bottle 9/29/07

Pours a dark thick head with heavy retention almost looks like a stout. Intense aroma of exotic fruits and spice. Hops are tantalizing every sip with smooth well rounded flavour. This beer reminds me of Hop Rod Rye but with a little more kick. I recommend you pick up a couple of these , one to sample and the other to enjoy down the road a bit. Once again Stone puts out another doozy for us to admire and crave for the next offering.

4.23/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. The first beer enjoyed with my wife on our new patio, and it was worthy. Very dark brown in appearance, with very little head. The smell wasn't overpowering, but was of citrus and maybe some licorice or grapes in there.

Tasted like a Stone IPA with some chocolate, grape, and a bit of licorice. A little bit sweet, too--tremendous flavor. I could drink this all night.

3.63/5  rDev -14%

22 ounce bomber, $5.69 at Brown Jug Warehouse store in Anchorage, AK.

Appearance: deep brownish, like a porter. Leaves significant light-brown lace. Creamy thick dense head.

Aroma: Hops and pine and brown sugar and burnt sugar.

Taste: Wood and sugar and hops and pine and leather and roast. Lots and lots going on here. Hints of dark Belgian ale. (Reminds me a lot of a dark strong Belgian ale style.) Hints of citrus. Hints of earth. Hints of rubber. Lots of hints, few direct statements.

Mouth: Thick and slick, tingly spicy with mark to hot alcohol that lingers.

Overall: Decent, drinkable, even good. But extraordinary? No. I'm sure that Stone devotees will disagree with me, but this just isn't that great (especially after the truly fantastic Stone X.) There is just too much going on in it to pin anything down.

4/5/2008: bomber was $5.19 at Safeway liquor on Mill Bay Road, Kodiak, AK. Bottle states September 2007. Same same. Meh, even. No rating numbers changed.

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

My first time trying a Stone limited beer like the anniv. beer.Poured into a Chimay chalice.

Black opaque body with a small tan head that fells pretty fast to a ring.Small patches of lacing left on the glass.

Straight mo fo pine in this nose.Its that resiny pine too.

Piney,black fruity taste.Then some malt goodness hits ya but not like these hops.Thats for sure.

Mouthfeel is really nice and cant complain about this one.Nothing really wrong with it.Creamy head.

This is a good beer.Im glad I got to try it.Stone outdid themselves with this one.They need to redo this beer under a different name and make it a year long beer.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours nearly pitch black. Has nice cream like head that lasts.

Big bubble gum and artificial peach aromas (think sugar free peach jelly candy). Some pepper, citrus, and brown sugar in the nose.

Much like Arrogant Bastard there is a lot going on here. Hop flavors muscle up against dark fruity flavors. I am picking up lots of pine, plum, peach, grapefruit rind, bubble gum, tobacco, strawberry and some vanilla.

Smooth and silky mouthfeel with some oiliness. I like this beer, but I prefer Arrogant Bastards hop character. Still very nice and highly recommended.

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

The 11th Anniversary comes in the typical dark bottle with a gargoyle delivering the brew with no freshness date. It pours a lovely black hue with a huge billowy foam head that lasts and lasts. After drinking the 22oz I was wishing for the pillow of foam to lay my head down.

The aromas from the ipa/porter/stout is a strong pine tree smell. It has a hoppy ipa flavor with a malty overtone and an alcoholic taste. The mouthfeel leaves the hoppiness on the tip of your tongue with a thin body the eels down your throat. I found this to be a money beer of this broad style.

4.76/5  rDev +12.8%

A: Pours a chocolate brown hue with a massive foamy head. Super long and thick head sustain with tons of lacing.

S: Big, piney hop smell with a dark, roasted malt character. Slight alcohol burn.

T: A complex hop taste with grassy and pine flavors and subtle citrus notes. A subtle roasted character adds an even greater depth while staying out of the way of the hops. Bitterness falls in the moderate range for an IPA.

M: Full-bodied, smooth, creamy, and perfect.

D: This one is too good not to be a regular in the lineup. Nearly perfect and a great hybrid style.

4.36/5  rDev +3.3%

This pours like a stout, very dark colouration, huge off tan head, honestly one of the most appealing IPA beers that I've ever poured. Smell is mainly grapefruit.

Taste starts with ruby red grapefruit up front with some bitey pine in the background. A smooth malty backbone is also present. This is actually fairly well-balanced for having as much of a hop bite as it does.

The mouthfeel is big, thick, and hoppy, good stuff. The drinkability is about average for the style in terms of smoothness, and it gets bonus marks for the sheer number of times that I've rebought it. Every time I buy a bomber of it, I assume it's going to be the last time I pick it up, but then I see it again, and buy another bottle or two. Probably my favourite Stone beer beyond Oaked Bastard at this point.

The bottom line: An interesting anniversary beer by the folks at Stone. I like the hop character here, and I'm going to be sad when it is no longer available because it is currently in my active rotation.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Twenty two ounce brown bottle.

Deep dark brown / borderline black. Intense ruby coloured highlights. Dense creamy looking tan head retains very well.

Appetizing waft of citrus & pine. A bit of roasted malt creeps in at the end.

Big, bold, and hoppy. A dark DIPA with a cornucopia of hop flavours - grassy, pine, & grapefruit are prominent.

Medium-full bodied, moderate carbonation. I won't mind revisiting this one in the near future.

4.26/5  rDev +0.9%

HOLY HELL

I just poured myself a glass of labrea tar!

this thing is BLACK. BLACKER THAN THE BLACKEST METAL!

It reeks of hops... reek being a great thing...it almost smells of an imperial stout... the bottle calls it a black IPA... this site calls it an american strong ale... what the hell is this thing for real?!?

mmm, tasty... tasty tasty!
take your favorite IPA and mix it with a twinge of your favorite Imperial Stout... With this strangely bittersweet aftertaste... i can't put my tastebud on anything in particular...

it feels great to drink and it drinks great!
GET SOME NOW! LOTS!

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%

Served from a bottle into a pint glass, enjoyed with a good friend on a Friday evening. Appearance is very deceptive, I was expecting something overly malty and sweet given the dark reddish look of this beer. Smell is very interesting, very malty, extremely hoppy, but not overpowering. This beer tastes exceptional, very well balanced, very smooth and drinkable. Alcohol taste is masked easily by the loud flavors. This is definitely a beer that I would recommend to others and purchase for myself in the near future. I have never tasted a beer similar to this one, it seems like Stone definitely took it upon themselves to make their 11th anniversary a special one.

4.52/5  rDev +7.1%

Appearance: Not quite pitch black. You get a bit of light through the edges. Two fingers of creamy tan head to start that turns into a thin layer with a good amount of lacing as you go.

Smell: A tiny bit of roasted chocolates that are soon overtaken by a huge amount of citrusy, grapefruity hops.

Taste: Very good. For a split second, you get a chocolatey dark stout like flavor that is quickly undone by a big grapefruit hop flavor. Like a good stout for a second and then turns into an above average IPA. You get a decent warmth as you go. Good complex flavor that is different from any other beer I've had. As you go, the IPA bitterness takes the forefront, but the dark flavors are very obvious in the beginning.

Mouthfeel: Good for an IPA, decent for a chocolate stout beer. Since the IPA flavor dominates, I would give this a good rating.

Drinkability: Good smooth beer with an above average hoppy IPA characteristic. Highly recommended, I'm not sure how long my other bottle will last.

4.8/5  rDev +13.7%

Pours a dark black color from a 22oz bottle.

Medium sized foamy head, with good retention and decent lacing.

Aroma is floral with bold grapefruit and piney hops with nice chocolate malts.

The malts are roasted and chocolate. The hops are intense, lots of grapefruit and pine. Bitter. It has a interesting interplay between the hops and roasted malts. Lively carbonation. Alcohol is not overwhelming in the taste.

Mouthfeel is full and the finish is clean. Aftertaste is slightly dry.

Great beer, I bought a case.

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

They had quite a bit of this at the BevMo in Brea and hearing the good reviews of this beer on this site, I grabbed one. Purchased at $4.49, on to the beer:

This is a totally different kind of IPA. It's dark, nearly black in appearance. The piney and esters of an IPA are there in the flavor, but you can't really taste any raw hops, and for good measure is kissed by some cocoa. The checker at the store said he didn't like IPA's, but he really enjoyed this offering. This isn't an aggressive beer like some of the other Stone products, but a rather mellow beer that won't tax your palate too much.

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.