Follow our progress ...

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale | Stone Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Style: American Black Ale

Added by Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007

Reviews: 1,901 | Ratings: 5,867
3.83/5  rDev -8.8%

22 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

I have been patiently waiting to snatch this one up for some time. The price is always right on these Stone bombers, so I waited until the funds were low and needed a new brew.

A deep red full bodied ale that barely allows any light to pass through her. A near brown head forms lacing all the way down the glass. I poured the brew quite aggressively and the thin cap of head is all the remains after the large bubbled cloud has quickly gone. The smells and aroma are pleasant but not what I was expecting from Stone.... is that too meant to be sublime? I was waiting for a punch to the nostrils with hops and grain. I was quite delighted by the taste however. Near 9% ABV and the most I get is notes of coffee and sharp hop bitterness that clings to the back of the tongue long after the sip has passed. The is a very simple tasting brew to me. Dark roasted flavors come to mind with each taste, but the hop bitterness dominates.

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%

I love this beer, and it's probably my favorite of the Black IPA/Cascadian Dark Ale type so far. The color is intensely black, fading to dark cola at the edges. The head is a huge coffee-and-cream beauty that resolves into generous lacing.

The bright citrus and resin aroma of the hops blend so well with the roasty coffee and chocolate aromas that it's amazing. This is where the style started to make sense for me, and the aroma of an IPA is supported and enhanced by the dark malt aromas very well.

The flavor is so like the aroma it's fantastic. The bright clean hops that Stone is so well known for mingle with the dark malt flavors, but are never overshadowed by them. The hops rule here, but the malt expresses itself nonetheless.

The rich, bitter mouthfeel finishes clean with at lovely citrus peel bitterness and faint toffee sweetness. There is a slight booziness that gently warms, but doesn't burn. This is a very drinkable beer for the ABV, it's so delicious that it's hard to stop drinking. I Love it, and am very glad that Stone has added this to it's year round releases.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

L: probably the best looking beer I've ever seen, beautifully dark with a nice creamy head and nice bubbles
S:smells like an ipa with a hint of chocolate
T: a unique blend of 2 of my favorite beers, an ipa with a slight chocolate and maybe a hind of almond flavors. It has a strong hoppiness with noticeable citrus notes. A power fullbodied flavor of hops citrus and chocolate, possibly my favorite beer I've ever had
F:leaves a nice hoops flavor on your mouth that leave you asking for more
O: poured into a glass from a 1 pint 6 fl Oz single serve big boy bottle. Was excited to try this and it way exceeded my expectations a top notch brew.

4.02/5  rDev -4.3%

I've missed the other 10 anniversary ales as I am only 2 years into my beer exploration journey. I have come to love Stone's offerings and was excited when I saw this one at the store. An absolute opaque black in appearance, with a nice light tan head. Lots of intense pungent hops in the smell. Smells like a Stone beer, it just has that smell that the Stone beers have. Wow! Lots of sticky piney hops in the taste but still sweet. With the color I was expecting some roastiness, but no there isn't any. An interesting concept brew (I'm guessing that's what it is... never heard of a black IPA before). Can't wait to see what they come up with for next years anniversary.

4.17/5  rDev -0.7%

22 oz bomber poured into a New Belgium globe glass

A-Pours nearly black in color. Nice tan head which dissipates slowly and lingers on the surface. Leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

S-One word: hops. While stout like in appearance, the smell resembles an IPA. Big dose of citrusy hops with pine and some roasted notes just peeking through. Also getting some grapefruit in there.

T-Definitely hop forward. Getting grapefruit and some pine notes at the start. Some roasted, burnt flavors try to come through in the middle before a long bitter finish. Finish left me wanting another sip.

M-Medium to heavy bodied. I found the carbonation just about right. Bitter finish left me wanting to coat my tongue again.

D-For a nearly 9% brew, it's pretty high. Alcohol becomes slightly noticeable as it warms, but nothing that would put me off.

Overall a very solid beverage. The transition from start to finish is great. Probably not worth the trouble of trading for it, but definitely something to pick up if easily available at a nearby store.

4.95/5  rDev +17.9%

Bottle into pint glass

Appearance: dark black, this looks like a stout or porter.

Smell: wonderful floral aromas. The amarillo and simcoe hops come out wonderfully. One of the best smelling beers I've ever had,

Taste: Hoppy. The dark color betrays you. This is more like a dark IPA then a strong ale.

Mouthfeel: Like a standard IPA

Drinakabillity: Lovely hop taste and aroma. Strong proof. Who cares the taste makes you want to have more.

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

Bomber poured into Sam Adam's Glass

A: Pours a deep black color, allowing no light through it. Forms a nice 1.5 finger tan head that dissipates slowly leaving some very good lacing.

S: Lots of hops, with floral, piney, and grapefruit notes prevalent. Behind that is lots of dark malts, with chocolate, coffee and licorice notes.

T: Starts of very hoppy with all of the nice floral, pine, grapefruit, and citrus notes. Then comes all the malts. Bitter chocolate, burnt coffee and toast, and licorice. Finishes with licorice and a bit of mint flavor. This has a very complex profile.

M: Medium bodied with lots of carbonation. The hop oils coat your tongue on the way down.

D: The abv is hidden well. It goes down very easy, but i definitely wouldn't drink more than one bomber of this. Its a sipper for sure.

Overall, this is another amazing offering from stone. This is definitely the best black ipa i've ever had and i will be picking up another bottle in the near future.

4.74/5  rDev +12.9%

I was super excited about trying this beer and I just couldn't do it by myself. I decided to call my buddy Jax over (he's the only one of my friends that has the same kind of palate for microsas I do). Since we are both huge Stone fans, we were both pretty stoked to crack this one open.

Appearance - Poured jet black into my snifter with a nice 2" dark cream head and lacing to be remembered.

Smell - Roasted, heavenly malts and remarkably hoppy. Every sniff makes me more excited to finally drink it. Jax is at a loss for words.

Taste - There is a sweetness on the front end and it is followed with hops that make the hair on my arms stand up. Jax had only three words to say. Brace yourselves. "Jesus Fucking Christ..." Though it seemed like an appropriate response, I was looking for something a little more descriptive, but couldn't seem to find the words. Coffee and chocolate seemed to poke it's head out throughout the ride.

Mouthfeel - It was creamy and the density was medium. It was actually perfect for me. Body was superb. Black ales might just be one of my new favorite styles.

Overall - This is probably my favorite Stone brew to date. It's got depth and the profile holds up against most ales. If you see this, buy it, smile, and then don't forget to smile while you savor the flavor of this behemoth.

3.8/5  rDev -9.5%

Okay, so I drank half of my pint before I remembered that I was supposed to be reviewing this brew. That probably says enough right there.

Picked up a bomber from Beverage Mart on NY 66. No dating best I can tell. Pours an extremely dark, dark, red (had to hold it up to the light to confirm it wasn't ink black) with a decent 3/4" of head and good lacing.

Very nice hop aroma. Taste is smoky, with some cocoa/chocolate and wood notes. At 8.7 ABV, this will sneak up on you in a hurry. This is another delicious offering from Stone that I look forward to trying again.

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured a complete black with an impressive 2 finger brown head. While pouring, I initially smelt dark chocolate, but when I put the bottle down and took a whiff of this beautiful liquid in my glass, I was greeted with an extreme flowery hopnose that sent me towards heaven. Taste is solid chocolate with such an extreme hopbite it's out of this world. The hops literally assault and pillage your taste buds. Insane hopbite!!! This brew only gets better as it warms, woody/earthy tones mingle with citrus making this an extremely unbelievable brew. Mouth feel is good as well, drinkability is pretty solid as too. I wouldn't suggest slamming too many of these or you might not taste any thing else for a few days! Hats off to stone for this impressive anniversary brew.

3.58/5  rDev -14.8%

22oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Closest color to black without being black. Huge head on the initial pour, beige in color. Head drops to a centimeter and lingers throughout the beer. Lacing is beautifuk

S: Not a huge fan of the smell of black IPAs. Citrusy, which I do like. But the hoppiness isn't one of my favorite smells in a beer. To each their own.

T: Strong. Roasted malts, very very hoppy, which I enjoy now and then. These beer is so bold and robust in flavor that a big-time hophead would love this.

M: Easy to drink in terms of texture but the intensity of the hops and flavor make you really sit back and enjoy it.

O: Excellent beer. Not something I will drink often (may enjoy as the weather really turns cold). Stone is awesome. Need I say more?

4.41/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed 6/13/13,

L: Poured from 12oz bottle into snifter; nearly pitch black, with a hint of ruby color when held up to light. around a finger of tan head, with great lacing.
S: I first pick up coffee, and roasted malts dominate.
T: picks up where the nose left off...plenty of roasted maltiness--toffee and biscuit, and some caramel. this taste is promptly followed by the hoppy bitterness. a pleasant lingering bitterness in the aftertaste
F: Moderate carbonation, and nice and thick on the mouthfeel--nice :)
O: a great balance of roasted malts and hops; just what I'm looking for in BIPAs, good stuff! I'll definitely drink this again

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%

22 oz bottle 9/29/07

Pours a dark thick head with heavy retention almost looks like a stout. Intense aroma of exotic fruits and spice. Hops are tantalizing every sip with smooth well rounded flavour. This beer reminds me of Hop Rod Rye but with a little more kick. I recommend you pick up a couple of these , one to sample and the other to enjoy down the road a bit. Once again Stone puts out another doozy for us to admire and crave for the next offering.

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from the bomber into a 16oz snifter. Pitch black, big tan head, did I mention it was black?
Smell was hops, hops, hops, some sweet hints in the backgrounds.
Taste was perfect hops without the horrible bitterness of some very hoppy beers. Some sweet fruits chocolate.
Mouthfeel was full bodied, easy to drink, just the right amount of carbonation.
Drinkablity surpised me, it took me about an hour to finish the bomber put I could drink more.
Overall a great looking beer, great hop flavor without the bitterness, decent drinkablity.

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

A - Poured into tulip. Opaque black in color with 2 fingers of tan head. Moderate lacing.

S - Dark chocolate, coffee, sweet malt, hops

T - Rich dark chocolate, coffee, cream, caramel, roasted nuts, bitter hops

M - Smooth, creamy, bitter. Easy to drink.

O - The best Black IPA I have come across yet. A perfect balance of hoppy and dark, roasty, chocolatey flavors.

4.32/5  rDev +2.9%

Tap to pint.

A: Jet black, brown at the bottom. 1/2 inch head.

S: Hops, coffee, grass.

T: Malts, cake, coffee.

M: Bitter end, smooth start. Classic "better have another drink to get these bitters off my tongue" beer!

D: High. I could do these multiple times and finish off with a smoother RIS. A hoppy, dark beer. The taste truly is "sublime". Score another one for Stone!

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint.

Pours a deep, rich almost-black red/burnt sienna with an ashy grey/brown 2 finger head that faded quickly and left scant lacing. Just a little bit of light comes through showing off some rising bubbles around the margins. Good looking glass of beer.

Smell is bready, caramel-y malts, roasty tones, generous piney hops and great big blocks of chocolate. So much chocolate in the nose! Smells almost like someone made a black and tan with a chocolate stout with an IPA.

It tastes pretty much exactly like someone made a black and tan with a chocolate stout and an IPA. With an awesome version of each style. De-freaking-licious. The hops are pretty intense, but there's enough malty sweetness and nuttiness to balance it out. The 8.7% ABV is very well hidden.

Mouthfeel is about what I want for what I'm drinking here. If it were any easier drinking, it would be too sneaky for the ABV. It has some thickness to the body. Carbonation is medium.

Overall... Boom. Friggin' awesome black IPA. Was thinking about inviting the neighbor over for a taste, but after getting halfway through the first glass decided I'm finishing this bomber myself.

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

Bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Thick, dark, brown, almost black. Light tan head that leaves good lacing.
S: Surprisingly hoppy/piney; malt and toffee come through a little as it warms up.
T: Piney hops to begin then balanced out somewhat by sweeter malts and earthy tones; light chocolatey note in the finish. Some alcohol warmth, but not noticeable in the taste. Hop note left to coat tongue.
M: Medium to full body, slightly viscous, but not like a thick stout. Medium to high carbonation. Smooth drinker with a bit of a bite.
O: One of a handful of Black Ales that I've tried; very good. Seamless merging of hops, malt, and sweeter chocolate and caramel tones. A must try.

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

A fantastic beer. Very dark and strong. Coffee and dark chocolate are present. Alcohol has pletty of taste here. Almost like a Guinness on steroids. Two thumbs way up.

4.44/5  rDev +5.7%

A: Poured from a 1 pint 6 oz brown bottle with painted-on label into a standard pint glass. Pours a dark brown (black??) color that is nearly impervious to light. A one-finger light brown head tops this brew and shows good retention and great lacing.

S: Grapefruit and big time for me. Also some piney notes and a hint of dark malt in the background.

T: This beer tastes great. Strong hop presence obviously. Grapefruit and pine notes predominate. Alcohol quite noticeable both in the middle and at the finish. Also, as would be expected the bitterness hits hard at the finish.

M: Quite highly carbonated with a medium body....quite nice.

D: This beer is excellent...but at 8.7% abv, one must be wise. I sipped on my bomber for about 90 minutes, which gave me a good chance to note its varying nuances with temperature change. I would drink this beer anywhere, anytime, but not more than a pint or two.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

650ml bottle from Henry’s Market. Pours a deep dark coffee brown color with a khaki head that has plenty of lacing and fades very slowly. Aroma is pungent with hops, grapefruit, oranges and walnuts. Flavor is ripe with oranges, green cedar, burnt toast and bittersweet chocolate; all set in a biter hops backdrop. Mouthfeel is full and creamy with light but distinct carbonation. Finish is more biter-sweet chocolate and hops. This concoction tastes (to me) like a three-way cross between Arrogant Bastard, Ruination IPA and Smoked Porter. I love it. I may get a case to stash away, this should age very well. Wow. Recommended

4.2/5  rDev 0%

Enjoyed on tap at Dirty Truth in Northampton, MA. Poured into a tulip glass, and to me (admittedly the bar was dimly lit) it had an almost opaque blackness to it, but held up to the light it seemed to have strong hints of brown in it. Big tan sticky head that lasts too, impressive.

The smell and aromas coming out of it have you blinking and looking at the blackness again, just not what you expect this beer to smell like. Hop heavy, with a nose of grapefruit and some pine overtones in there too. Very much a hopped up IPA.

Drinkability is very good, I had two of them over about an hour to hour and a half, like any 9% brew I'm not looking to slam down 7 of them in a night, but I went back for seconds without giving it another thought.

I'm a big IPA fan, and love hopped up monsters, and like most of Stone's brews (admittedly not a big fan of any iteration of arrogant bastard) and this is a great beer. Just not sure what to call it -- I've had a black IPA before, maybe that's the best description of it really. Very different, very unique, and very much worth trying if you can.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

A- Poured a jet black with a nice tan head...decent retention and lacing left on the glass...

S- Lots of piney hops and dark fruits...some maltiness and smokiness too...distinctively Stone, if you know what I mean...

T- Just like it smells...smacks you in the face with hops and bitterness...very unique and difficult to describe...almost as if you combined a good black ale with a DIPA and a stout...delicious!

M- Medium bodied with the right amount of carbonation...dry, but lingers on the palate...

D- Another great offering from Stone...a very unique, and very tasty brew thats worth a try and probably a re-vist or two...

4.96/5  rDev +18.1%

One last go around before this gets retired. Can't believe they won't be making this anymore. One of my favorites of all time. Perfect balance of roasted malt and big IBUs. Tears in my eyes...

4.03/5  rDev -4%

From the big bottle at home, May 21, 2010.

Pours a deep chocolatey brown with a good tan head. Awesome tan lacing.

Smell the hops right away, then some maltiness.

Tastes nutty and woody, flavor of the hops more on the back end. Not a lot of bitterness.

Creamy mouthfeel, was highly carbonated as well.

Long finish. ABV feels about right on this one. Kinda looks like a stout, smells like an IPA and drinks like a really good brown ale.

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.