Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale | Stone Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Style: American Black Ale

Added by Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007

Reviews: 1,895 | Ratings: 5,857
4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

I've had this beer many many times. I'm finally getting around to rate it. It took me off guard the first time I tried it. Nice and hoppy.
A: Dark brown with light head went down fast. Lightly carbonated. Dark ruby light flowing through on the bottom.
T: Hoppy, sweet, bitter, and subtle floral hit the nose.
D: Easy to drink.
O: Overall it is a nice dark hop that is always good to just chill to.

A: Thick, rich foam with some stubborn stuck-on lacing. Color is a nearly opaque black-brown with reddish highlights.

S: Strong malt presence with a hint of coffee as it warms, piny hop aromas, floral, and a hint of something like baby powder.

T: Roasted malt, dates, pine hop presence, citrus (orange juice), with some alcohol kick.

M: Good carbonation with a boozy kick.

D: This is my first taste of this style, and enjoyed it. I will definitely be back for more.

3.92/5  rDev -6.7%

Date Drunk: 1/6/11

Bomber into pint glass

Pours a watery-black color with a hint of caramel color. Smell is typical Stone hops with sweet-tangy citrus. The taste is bitter hops upfront with a vast array of floral. Blended flowers is the best way to describe it, but it totally works. Another great beer by a great brewery. Go out and get this.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

A - Two-finger head is tan and very creamy, retains throughout the drink and leaves a great webwork of lacing.

S - Toasty malts, slight brown sugar sweetness, and a whopping helping of hops. Anyone who's had some of the other strong Stone brews knows the distinctive, juniper berry-esque hop smell that characterizes these beers. There is remarkably little alcohol to be detected.

T - Toasted earthy malts, some dark chocolate bitterness, molasses. Also a big hop presence which is citrusy and crisp, though less bitter than other Stone brews. These hops are more subdued and serve to mask the alcohol, though it's still there if you look for it. Finish has a mild hop bitterness, with a slightly sweet and sour undertone as the body fades away.

M - Creamy yet relatively high in carbonation, keeps it from feeling too weighty.

D - A great sipper for the strong beer drinker who's not afraid of some hops, this is a great addition on the mellower side of the Stone lineup. It's pretty well-balanced and not overbearingly heavy, but you'd be wise to take her slow.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured from a 22oz bomb!

A: Dark Dark Dark! pours like a stout but the body appears to be a lot looser with a ligh white head.

S: Hops, Unlike their ipa I am getting the hops upfront along with a little bit of sweetness.

T: Love it! I am getting some sweeter(not fruit) but some good sweet hops, with maybe some dark fruit flavors following.

D: Light and creamy, nothing like a stout but more so than a reg ipa, the body is great on this one, good mouthful, easy drink.

Overall I really enjoyed this one, this is a new style for me that I am really enjoying, out of the few stones that I've tried this is my favorite so far.

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

22 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass.

I had no idea that this would be essentially black given the dark brown bottle. Giant head. I had to pour it slowly with multiple pauses to allow the head to settle. Thick sticky lacing clung to the glass.

The taste was a full spectrum from roasted malts, coffee, to spicy hops. Very unique. This is not typical of my preferred brews, but I thoroughly enjoyed it nonetheless. I probably went through about five 22 ounce bottles until I could find no more.

4.63/5  rDev +10.2%

22 oz. bomber into my stone 9th anniversery pint glass. pours a dark dark mahogany color, pretty much porter status. off white thick head with nice sticky lacing.

smell is wonderfull. such a great blend of chocolate, piney hops and malts. not one single thing over powers one another. picture perfect balance.

the taste is a resemblence to arrogant bastard but with a few tweeks to it. aggressive piney hops with just the near perfect amount of chocolaty malts which leades to a plesent dry bitter aftertaste.

full bodied soft chewy mouthfeel.

this is quite possibly one of the best fresh and well balanced brews from stone i've ever had. such a better blend than last years 10th anniversery(which was also a great brew too, don't get me wrong). i'll be getting as much fresh bottles of this as possible.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

a - poured a three-fingers thick creamy and dense coffee-colored head into a snifter that left thick sheeting and lace with nice coating on the sides of the glass. the body was dark black and impossible to see through.
s - pine, muted citrus tones, with a light chocolate malt underneath that really comes through as it warms.
t - dry and citrusy hops at the beginning with a sweet coffee and chocolatey finish. with each sip you get the hops on the front of the tongue and a roasted malty taste on the back.
m - creamy and smooth.
d - considering stone's big hop presence this just begs to be quaffed. easily drinkable and really goes down smooth.

3.45/5  rDev -17.9%

Pours black, as the style would suggest. Tan head retains extremely well.

Hops overwhelm the bouquet. Smells piney, woodsy, almost like a natural fir.

Extreme flavor - hops, hops, hops, alcohol, hops. Really, there's nothing more to it, which is why I wouldn't classify this beer as extraordinary. I can see already a few sips in, how this could get redundant almost. It's like biting copper.

As the heaviness will eventually settle in, the acids kind of wear the palate out. It's extremely flavorful, it blasts the tastebuds, so again, I marked it kind of low in this respect. It offers nothing but the same flavor over and over, there's almost no complexity in my opinion.

High in alcohol and volume, I wouldn't expect more than one would not suffice, unless you're a hophead and you'd like to get tanked. Not my cup o' tea.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a large goblet. Pours nearly black with a decent amount of an off-white head that leaves some good lacing on the glass.

At first smell you get a nice sweet and roasted malt aroma before being taken over by piney hop aromas of the northwest US.

It's definitely got a strong hoppy taste, but the malts do make a nice appearance. You get a nice sweet molasses, chocolate and toffee taste at first that gives way to roasted bitterness and finally gives way to a beautiful piney and citrus hoppiness.

It's got nice carbonation and mouthfeel and has good drinkability.

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

Served in a tulip glass at Binny's South Loop store in Chicago. Great bartender (Jim) talked about this and similar beers as a nice prelude.

Appearance - Pretty damn intense, and that generally characterize the beer and the brewer for the most part. This looked black, in the glass, coal with a lacing tan head. Catch light through the edge of a tilted glass, and you get a very dark garnet ray, provided the room has enough light.

Smell - The hops come out in full on the nose, generally a sappy pine, I smell just a touch of citrus. Both dark fruit and roasted flavors are an undertone here, as well as alcohol.

Taste - The pine hops are there on the front, and in the mid-palate I get flavors of anise and fennel (I was reminded of the fennel flavors in el camino (un)real). This isn't without some rich notes like chocolate. It has very good complexity, but the finish was fairly chemical.

Mouthfeel - sits somewhat heavily, but the carbonation (perhaps accentuated by bitter flavors) is sharp, and rather clean.

Drinkability - It drinks like an american strong dark ale, I was happy with one.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

Pours black and leaves two fingers of creamy, brown foam.

The smell is toasty and a heavenly mix of earthy/floral hop aromas.

Even layer of oily hop bitterness from the first drop on the tongue. The hop presence is IPA status which caught me off guard. Chocolate notes are present, but right now are hard to find since the hops are kicking my palate around. Light alcohol presence aids the bitterness; mouthfeel is solid.

I like this beer (not the price) and thoroughly enjoyed it, but it is overly hopped for my taste buds. I love hops, but I can't call myself a hop head; I was hoping for more malty flavors in this. IPA lovers: GO CRAZY!

Gotta love the commentary on the back of the bottle, especially the third paragraph!

4.56/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow! Definitely one to try. I wasn't sure what to expect as it’s only listed as Stone XI and mentions a dark IPA on the back. Pours a brownish-black color with ruby accents around the perimeter. The head is a little too over abundant and hangs around in thick 1-2" clumps after finishing a pint. As it warms the head only multiplies in following pours, leaving long yearning minutes of undrinkable beer due to a mountain of foam. Smell is intoxicating! A porter?, an IPA?, BOTH! Smells of toasted oats and grain while balanced by a hoppy aroma, slight citrus note, porter and some barley wine qualities. This is among Stone's better brews as it is an ensemble to the sense. Let this beer sit from the fridge for awhile and it's definitely a treat.

3.29/5  rDev -21.7%

From a 22oz. bomber, this unique black IPA was a bitter bomb from start to finish. The cooked roasted profile hits you on the nose, with chocolate malts and broasted grains. With good head and a nice quaff, an IPA porter hybrid comes to mind. The flavors tilt to the bitter side of IPA-land, with roasted dark nuts and barleycorn leading the pack. Overall a good, distinctive IPA, but a little bitter for my bulls-eye.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from bomber into my pint glass

A. Has a dark reddish brown color with and off white head that sticks around.

S. Floral hops, a little chocolate and roasted malts.

T. Has nice bitterness from the hops with chocolates and raisins as well then the alcohol comes through.

MF. Creamy, thick, and alcohol presence.

D. Very easy to drink. This is a fantastic beer I just wish i had gotten more when it first came out.

3.38/5  rDev -19.5%

Pitch black with a tan head, half an inch tall and persisting. Craters and bubbling on the surface, slowly dissipating to a quarter of an inch.

Biscuity nose, minimal if any hop notes that I can detect. The roasted malts are on full display here.

More roasty, solid malts in the mouth, with more of a hop balance with a very bitter aftertaste. Dry finish. It seems, dare I say, simple to me, with up front roastiness and a simply bitter finish. Maybe an undertone of sweetness to go with that, perhaps a hint of fig. I feel like I'm missing something, but it seems straightforward.

Slight carbonation and a solid feel. Not too thin and not overly viscous. Some spiciness from the hops is present here too.

The alcohol is carried well, but overall I find this somewhat disappointing. There's just not enough that I'm able to appreciate going on in this brew. I wouldn't go out of my way to have this again.

Same style as Arrogant Bastard? Really? I don't see it. This is closer to a porter by my taste.

3.83/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a pint glass...

A - Dark chocolate brown like a tootsie roll with a thick and creamy dark tan head that leaves spotty lacing

S - Piney hops and semi-sweet bready malts.

T - Intense pine and citrus hops with a chocolately roasted malt and bitter ashiness. Mouth puckering and almost overwhelming flavor.

M - Moderately thick and chewy, average carbonation.

D - Not something that I could drink a whole lot of.

3.2/5  rDev -23.8%

I picked up this bottle of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing out of Escondido, California at my newly-adopted corner beer store after a long Friday to arm myself for the weekend. Being a stout lover, I recently found myself fitting the hophead mold, so the recent black IPA trend is lending to both ends of the spectrum of my palate. Black IPAs have that hop character we all love paired with the roastiness of a light stout of porter. Usually complex given the dichotomy of the style, and I expect SSRA to live up to the Stone standard and really please my palate.

SSRA pours a deep red hue...almost black. The head pours to a healthy presence, dissipating to a thin film of lacing to greet the nose. I am a fan of thick stout beers...the darker and less viscous the better. This beer doesn't have too heavy a body and isn't too dark as too much of either would kill the IPA character.

The nose hits with a blast of hops, but only because I'm trying to pick out the "black" and the "IPA" in beers of this style. However, the roastiness and fruitiness of the of each element settle in to a faint grape-like smell...like burying my nose in a glass of Welch's.

The bitter back end of the IPA is the most dominant characteristic of this beer. There is a bit of roastiness up front that shares space with the short-boil hops, but the bitterness of the Chinook, Simcoe & Amarillo hops used in the long boil really takes over this beer. The "black" character really only lingers in the aftertaste. No solvent taste protrudes despite the rather high 8.7% ABV. At least 89 of the 90 IBU's are used up in the bitter back of the palate. More black, less bitter? I'm trying to taste fruity character or other taste elements, malt, but all I get is bitterness. There might as well be no "black" at all.

The texture of the beer is pretty typical Stone. A little more thickness, ala Arrogant Bastard, would have been appreciated. Adjuncts were used to increase the ABV without increasing body, and that's never a good thing. Skimping on malt is never a good thing, especially with the intended audience of Stone beers.

Do I like SSRA? Absolutely! But a style that has so much complexity is cheated by imbalance with this ale. The complexity, which is nonexistent in SSRA, typically is a focal point of black IPA's, but the hop bitterness is by far the dominant characteristic. I like to review beers according to the intent of the brewmaster, but even after doing some research on the Stone sight I can't tell what the intent actually is. The marketers have spent so many words pushing the "arrogant" mantra there is no attention paid to what the beer is actually supposed to be.

I can sit down with a bomber of SSRA, but if I'm in a mood for a black IPA, I'll do some scouting for a bit of a better representation.

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

Deep, dark color with a good amount of head (about 1/2" after pour). Head disappates slowly and leaves a spotty, tan lace around the glass.

Aroma is highly complex and has hints of pineapple, mango and other fruit aromas.

Has a light mouthfeel to the body, with an initial flavor of light malt flavor combined with moderate hop taste. Has a very complex blend of fruit, just like the aroma. Fruit notes present are mango and pineapple, and these are very noticeable in the aftertaste as well.
Overall, a very unique beer from Stone. Superb!

4.41/5  rDev +5%

This is one great brew from Stone. Just amazing. Poured from the bomber into a glass snifter.

A: As black as night. This is amazing to see for a DIPA!

S. You can smell the hops as well as the caramel malt. The dark malt breaks through at the end of this hoppy beer.

T: Very tasty! The taste is of citrus hops -- which are bigger and badder than the Ruination brew -- and dark malt. The taste reminded me of a barelywine as the flavor was thick, hoppy, and malty all at once similar to barleywines I have had as of recent.

M: This one just sits nice in the mouth. The bitter dry taste is followed by a warm alcohol taste (which does not overwhelm the feel for this beer).

D: Easy to drink. Too easy so be wary of the 8.7% ABV.

Great creation by Stone. Can't wait to have my other one.

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

On Tap at Sunset Grill and Tap in Allston MA.

A murky brown with well over an inch of caramel/tan colored foam. Lots of carbonation. Nice lacing, fairly good head retention.

Smells like a hopped-up wee heavy for some reason. Lots of floral/piney citrus hop smell backed up by roasted malts and a little peaty/earthy aroma.

Ok, definitely a good malt balance in this, but I was way off in the wee heavy impression in the smell. The hop profile is wonderful. Good citrus, piney bitterness that lingers and co-mingles with the malt very nicely. Slightly meaty as well. Carbonation adds to the enjoyment of the flavor profile very much so.

Medium bodied, creamy mouthfeel with an incredibly perfect amount of carbonation.

I remember commenting to my party that this seemed to be a differently hopped version of AB.

Drinkability is up there. I enjoyed this with sirloin tips and it really made me happy.

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I just have to second many of the thoughts of those that enjoyed this beer. Though I read the reviews before drinking (I already had purchased two bottles), I was quite surprised at how much I liked it. They experimented with this beer and really hit the mark in my estimation. Simply, I just wanted to give further props to a beer that is not only interesting, but pretty damn good to drink as well.

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

A- Good appearance. Pours dark with a nice one finger mocha head that laces slightly.

S- Decent smell, can smell the hops in it.

T- Good taste, wonderful hops taste. Slight lemon taste to it with a bitter aftertaste.

M- Decent mouthfeel. Slight bite, heavy body. can feel the alcohol as it goes down.

D- The drinkablity is down because of the high alcohol content and the bitterness. But, if you like IPAs, this is a good one, but not as good as Ruination.

3.85/5  rDev -8.3%

22oz bomber emptied into my largest snifter.

A. Pours very dark with a hint of caramel brown on the outside. A soft creamy white/brown head. Light with decent retention.

S. Smells of chocolate, pine tree, malts, alcohol. Very nice.

T. Very roasty toasty malts. Some real bitter chocolate. Reminds of a stout to some extent. A nice bitter finish... almost of espresso. More hops.

M. A long bitter aftertaste of hops and burnt coffee.

D. Not the easiest of beers to throw back, but a bomb... no problem. But one is enough. Lots of alcohol.

3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

I was excited to try this since the XI was one of my favorite Stone releases. It's supposedly the exact same thing. God I hope so...

A: Pours a rich dark color but a slight ruby color comes through when held to the light. A creamy head that needs an aggressive pour to keep a one finger head up, dissipating and leaving a thin head for the remainder.

S: Smells of roasted and caramel malt with a nice bit of floral hop aroma and slight citrus notes. Toffee and raisin notes, maybe some coffee but not overly present.

M: Plenty of carbonation and a fairly thin body, which gets thicker as it warms and the carbonation mellows out. Some chalkiness on the palate and a bit of alcohol warmth.

T: The hop bitterness hits you up front, followed by a good bit of roasted malt. Smokey, but not overpowering. Some sweetness as it warms. It's IPA character holds up, even under the weight of the roasted malt notes and coffee undertones.

D: I probably wouldn't want to have more than one bomber of this, although I could see myself content with it on certain occassions. It's fairly light but does leave your mouth pretty dry. Not sessionable, but one bottle goes down pretty easily.

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.