Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,887 | Hads: 5,837
4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

A love child of a Stout and an IPA?!?!

Stone has done it again, taking an extreme and making it extreme(er?).

Upon opening the bomber, befor I even poured it into the glass, the aroma hits you and gets your mouth watering.

It pours chestnut brown with a mild storm that builds a light caramel head that rises to a finger or so then starts to fall and holds to a lacey ring.
I was impressed by the balanced battle of grainy roasty aroma with hints of coffee and molassas with the hops spicey piney strength.

My first sip dissappointed me with a lack of vicosity that my mind was preparing for. but that dissappointment was quickly slapped out of my head by the intence continuation of the aromatic battle for the nose.

usually(to me) flavors come in and fade out with different highlights throuout the taste and the glass. But this; everything is there the whole time, the malt, the hops pushing against each other for pallete dominance. neither gaining advantage over the other, until the very end. long after the sip is swallowed, the hops fade out leaving a satifying roasty bite that lingers until the next sip.

All in all agreat beer, but it is a thinker.

3.05/5  rDev -27.4%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a duvel chalice.

Pours dark almost pitch black with little brown head. Very pretty.

Recedes to a ring that sticks throughout. Lots lacing is left behind.

Nose is huge hops. I pick up all kinds. They are strong as hell but the floral hops smell pretty good.

Taste is just as expected by the nose. Lots of herbal, grassy, piney, resinous hops.

I am not a hop head and this was over the top hops for me. It hurts to drink it. I got so lost in the hops I could not find the malts for salvation.

The body was medium and it could have used some more carbonation.

It was hard to finish. And the herbal hops kept repeating on me for the rest of the night. I have loved most of the beers from Stone but this one was the first one I actually disliked. Almost a drain pour.

Better luck next time.

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours an almost completely opaque black/brown with a very minor brown foam head at the top. Lacing is immaculate.

Smells very hoppy as I have come to expect from Stone ales. A sweet malty smell is also detected. Very floral aroma that hits you even before you put your nose up to it. The scent already is getting that bitter bite into my mouth. My mouth is watering.

Exception taste and blend of flavors. Hops are very prevalent. Not at bitter as I had expected. There is a good sweetness to it too. Very well managed flavors and bitterness all around.

Incredibly smooth. Carbonation levels are perfect for the style of beer.

This beer is REMARKABLY drinkable for this imperial ale. At 8.7% one would expect a stronger bite, but instead gets perfect contrast of bitterness and drinkability. As a big IPA/ale guy this is right up my alley. So very smooth I'm pretty sure I could drink this all night if I had the cash.

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Sublimely Self-Righteous was my first beer on cask, and while I really liked it, it didn't floor me as being incredibly good. It poured a solid black, with a light foamy head that lasted several minutes of sipping. The beer had a fairly light body with a malty taste and a strong hoppy finish. Slight chocolaty and roasty flavors were present, but nothing overall that greatly impressed me, although I might have enjoyed this over Deschutes Hop in the Dark Cascadian Black Ale.

4.21/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Not my first tango with Stone, and generally a fan so far.

A - So dark you'd think it's black. Shined a super bright flashlight from the back and found its a dark beautiful red. Head is tan, with great retention of foam.

S - Hops hops hops. Fantastic smell. Also citrus, grapefruit. Smells like a IIPA, which is fantastic to me. Does not smell like it looks.

T - Hops and grapefruit, tastes great to someone who loves hops and bitterness. Refreshing and lasting. Alcohol is masked, not overpowering at all. Very very good taste

M - Bitterness stays on the back of the tongue after swallowing. Not overly thick, or thin. Alot like Ruination Ale.

D - Very drinkable, and so enjoyable for a style that I had not tried before. I am quite pleased with this bomber!

3.72/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A- Dark ruby with an off white head, good retention and lacing
S- Hint of booze, plenty of hops
T- Coffee, malty with an aggressive hop finish. Plenty of lingering bitterness
M- Bright
O- Hoppiest of black IPAs. The roasted malts could be stronger, but a very good black IPA nonetheless

3.92/5  rDev -6.7%

Dark brown pour from a bottle. Small light brown head. Piney aroma with hint of roast. Hints of the roast malt backbone but the piney citrus hop is dominant. Lingering pine and chocolate roast finish.

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a mug.

A. Nice bottle, I like the artwork. Whoa! I had no idea this beer was going to be so dark. It pours black with a nice 1 inch dark brown head with significant lacing.

S. Smells like a hoppy IPA, I got a little citrus from the hops followed by roasted malt backround.

T. Hops, Hops, citrusy Hops, roasted maltyness, followed by a good kick of bitterness. Did not taste the 9% abv. Very tasty

M. Much thicker than I expected, but still has the resiny feel from the boatload of hops. This is like a plus sized model, full bodied.

D. Pretty drinkable, altough I don't see myself enjoying more than one of these at a time.

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%

On-tap at The Lodge in Boca Raton. Poured into a tulip, light black with a tint of dark red. Two finger light tan head that faded and left moderate lacing.
Looking for a strong hop aroma as a raised the glass and I found it...citrus, floral, and pine. Also notes of roasted malts and citrus fruits.
Complex flavor. Dominated by bitter citrusy hops. On the bitter side (good for me) but still well balanced with sweet malts and an earthy flavor. I described it as a great IPA with a thimble of great stout thrown in.
Medium bodied and nicely carbonated. Very smooth and finishes dry. Warmed well.
Enjoyed every bit of the glass. Highly recommended.

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

A - chocolate and coffee life in color, nice froathy light brown head, nice lacing left on glass.

S - Some carmel/sweet malty notes then finishes off with good hoppy notes.

T - Nice earthy flavor, bittersweet like dark chocolate, mild caramel flavor, then finshes off with a good lingering hoppy bite.

M - Low/mild carbination, nice creamy feel, medium bodied, bitter dry lingering after taste.

D - Good dark ale, more hoppy than the appearance and smell make it out to be. Stone hits another home run on this brew.

3.33/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Look- Look is exactly what i was expecting from the Oxymoron that is the Black India Pale ale, i expected it to be black with a mocha colored head and thats exactly what it is.

Smell- Smell is insane, imagine you took a super fresh draft guinness and set it on the table then right next to it put a cup of fresh hops and smelled them both at the same time through separate nostrils and thats what you will get with this with a hot scent of liquor in the back.

Taste- Let down, flavors clash wayyyy to hard, it trys to be a stout without a heavy body so you get that chocolate and char taste but then you get extreme bitterness from the hops because its trying to be an Imperial IPA at the same time and they do not flow smoothly o your taste buds, leaves an off flavor in your mouth that thankfully dosnt stick around its very similar to that skunk gross flavor that HopStoopid provides.

Feel- Mouthfeel is great once you get over the fact it taste like complete crap. Fully body feel like a lighter stout but still feels like an IPA mouth.

Overall i won't i wasn't too happy with the beer, i won't ever buy it again nor will i recommend it to anyone who is interested in trying a BIPA. spent 9.99 on a bomber and drank maybe 4 ounces of it before i dumped it all

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

Crap man, this is good beer!

Nice dark brown color with a creamy beige head. Looks just like a porter.

Smells wonderful with a fruity hop bouquet up front and some roasty aroma in the finish. Smells simply sublime.

Nice fully body with some malt sweetness then a kick of American hops. Firmly bitter finish with some roasty flavor from the carafa.

Man, this beer rocks.

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours black with brown hues around the edges. Excellent fluffy brown-tan head that persists. Aroma is straight west coast hops - pine, resin, mild floral. Flavor is excellent - brief roasted malts, coffee, toffee, followed by that great bitterness. Both aspects are extremely smooth and meld together like a piece of art. I could drink this one all day long. Medium body, great mouth feel. Extensive hop and malt bitterness on the finish. Lacing up and down the glass. About as good as it gets!

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

A - Pours a dark brown that looks black in the glass. If you hold it up to the light you can see just a hint of light coming through around the edge of the glass. An ample amount of light brown silky head tops the beer. The head lasts a long time and leaves nice lacing as you drink the glass.
S - The smell is lightly hoppy with a hint of sweetness.
T - The taste is heavy and complex. There's a bit of sweetness that greets you first and as you swallow you start picking up the bitter chocolate and coffee notes of the roasted malt. The hops add some overtones that are hard to pick out on their own but lend to the overall character of the beer.
M - Mouthfeel is heavy and what you'd expect from a big dark beer.
D - The flavors are all in good balance without any rough edges. Great beer to drink.

4.17/5  rDev -0.7%

Bought this at the local store in Aurora, IN Pour House. Sampled a lot of Stone and thought I should try this as well.

A: Very dark in color, very big head on the pour but goes down to a nice sticky lace around the glass.

S: Iimpressive black IPA. Massive floral and citrus hops, it combines with a toasty malt caramel as well.

T: The smokey malt just takes over there is some lasting brown sugar at the end of this drink.

M: Creamy when you first start drinking but good spice as well.

D: Stone makes some solid brews but this just isn't something that I liked all that much... it was good but not great, still a good beer though and enjoyed the full 22oz bomber.

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a dark "Pitch Dark" black with a nice airy 2 finger head that lasted a few minutes and then clung to the glass as it dissipated. Smell was full of fresh oily hops, citrus, pine, and some light toasted malts. As it warms the aroma of over ripened fruit starts to dominate. The taste was of the hop flavors one would expect in a DIPA but there seem to be some other lingering flavors which are quite surprising, roasted malts, dark chocolate, and the warm molasses flavor you usually find in a RIS really wants to poke its head out. I am intrigued to say the least... The beer coats the mouth with a smooth medium to full bodied texture. The alcohol really starts to show as it warms and even though there is moderate carbonation the bite is there.

Overall this is a very tasty beer fresh but I look forward to experiencing it over time as it is a bit hot right now. I will give it another shot later on this week to see what I think on the second go round. Cheers!

4.06/5  rDev -3.3%

Appearance- Pours pitch black with two finger chunky tan head.

Smell- Very piney and a little fresh cut grass. Slightly boozey smell.

Taste- Maltier than I expected from Stone. But the hop bitterness is there. Roasted malt is a nice highlight of this beer. Not citrusy really, mostly pine hop flavors. Really glad that boozey scent didnt show up in the taste. Very nicely balanced.

Mouthfeel- Really smooth. Less carbonated than expected.

Drinkability- Perfect alc content for a bomber if you ask me. Low enough to drink the whole thing and not be tipsy, but high enough to give a nice buzz.

Overall- Nicely done from Stone on this one. I personally love how agressively hopped their beers can be, but I understand that not everyone enjoys that. This one is well balanced and hopheads and maltlovers alike will enjoy.

3.92/5  rDev -6.7%

Appearance: Black. Tan, frothy head that fades when given a minute or so. Looks like a pretty good stout if you ignore the lace.
Smell: Biscuits, Chistmas tree, limes.
Taste: Grapefruit, roasted malts, toffee, chocolate/orange liqeur.
Mouthfeel: Full bodied, big carbonation.
Drinkability: Not a hint whatsoever of the ~9% abv. Probably not for everyone, but the bitterness does not linger on the palate in the way that a big stout would.
Verdict: I'm totally having a love affair with this beer.

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

A- light tan head with thin bubbles, light lacing with no retention; beer is dark-stained mahogany
S- Piney is prevalent with light Citrus
T- There is a great sweetness from the malt, almost a light milk chocolate flavor and maple syrup on the beginning with an abundance of hops on the aftertaste: pine and grapefruit predominate the pallet with a slight caramel on very end of the finish.
M- Very creamy with a very light carbonation; very silky small bubbles, the taste of the hops cling the the palette long after its gone.
D- For 8%, this beer is a tad strong on the alcohol flavor, but still extremely tasty. Just not drinkable as for the percentage.

(two person review)

3.53/5  rDev -16%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle poured into snifter

A: The beer is black but not quite ebony. Some light makes it through when you’re viewing it from an angle (and through a small section of the beer; a half inch or so). I got ¼ inch of head on a medium pour. Head is tan, a little creamy and it dissipated in 60 to 90 seconds.

S: I get lightly roasted malt scent followed by fresh flowery hops. There seems to be a hint of dark chocolate and coffee along with an alcohol scent that became much more apparent after the first sip.

T: The roasted malt makes more of an appearance and mixes with the hops in an interesting way. It seems to mute the hops a bit and creates a bitter, roasted black coffee taste with the alcohol a bit too heavy.

M: This is a medium bodied beer. The carbonation is fitting. It has a longer finish. It leaves a bitter roasted coffee aftertaste on the roof of my mouth and the back of my tongue.

O: I have always found this beer to be like a roasted, more alcoholic arrogant bastard. I enjoy it every once in a while, but it’s not in my regular rotation like many other stone offerings. It is a really interesting beer to me though. The hop bitterness and roasted malt interaction is cool. I don’t find the beer as bitter as the IBUs testify. I wonder if this beer is best fresh. I wonder if aging this in oak barrels would be beneficial in bringing out some flavor. I definitely find it too heavy on the alcohol in scent and taste.

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

I'm not really sure what to write about this beer. When I decide, it'll be good, but still...

The confusion stems from appearance vs. taste. I poured from the bomber to the snifter before I read the bottle, so I didn't know this is supposed to be a bastard IPA. What you see is something else -- really dark, almost stout-like; rich, short head that hung on a little bit. I'm already thinking of something roasted. Then you take a whiff, and the confusion sets in. Hops are prominent, but I've had hoppy stouts and porters before. This isn't one of those.

Have a taste. Wow -- the hops. This is about the time that I read the bottle, and discovered that I was drinking an IPA. But ... it's not. There's a rich, malty presence too, big enough to completely throw off the perceptions of one who had just read he's drinking an IPA. BA tabbed this as an "American Strong Ale," and I'm glad they did -- if I had to pick a style, I'd still be trying to figure it out.

Don't let my confusion steer you away from giving this a try. I'm not saying it's bad; in fact, I'm saying it's amazing. It's easily one of the most complex beers I've ever sampled, one that's challenging on every level. If you can still find a bottle, you owe it to yourself to give it a shot.

3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

Stone 11th Anniversary Ale looks marvelous! It pours a dark brown, almost black color with a three finger, frothy tawny-brown head. Hops come through on the smell with a hint of malt and almost licorice. Grapefruit and orange hoppiness dominate with some bready malt flavors submerged in the mix. The hops are aggressive, not overly bitter, but would mitigate my desire to drink this brew all night long.

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%

A Nice dark black in appearance with a red cast when held to the light. Poured with a 1 inch head that slowly disapated. Nice lacing around the glass.

S Very nice hop presence. Definite grapefruit aroma

T What an excellent choice for my B-Day beer Has a nice dark beer taste at first and a wonderful hop finish at the end. Perfect not overpowering

M I think it feels great in the mouth not over carbinated or flat at all very nice beer

D Can I have another PLEASE!! I think it is exceptional. Awesome beer.

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a tulip glass. Pours a nice deep black that has a thin medium tan head that has great lacing on the edges.

Smells of chocolate and some citrus hops. Tastes the same as it smells with some bitterness from the chocolate. Notes of coffee, roasted malts and some sweetness. A touch balanced towards the hops. Has a medium bodied feel to it with a good amount of carbonation.

A great example of a Black IPA, well worth drinking if you ever have the chance to.

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A - Nice color going around. Dark brown, oak color, almost turning black! The head is almost perfect. Thick, foamy, consistent, cream; the head has Light hazelnut color!

S - the aroma is wonderful. Floral, smoky essences! You can see that the beer has been brew with coffee and dark chocolate,this two aromas are going around strongly. Also a sweet vanilla between the coffee.

T - The taste of this beer is something unique. It takes you from vanilla, oaky flavors to light bourbon with nuts! Coffee, chocolate, vanilla, smoky caramel. Hops going around like crazy. Malts also.

M - Creamy mouthfeeling. Not thick at the end. very balanced for a creamy feeling. It leaves you an essence of what the beer because the kind of mouythfeel, creamy, drinkable, beautiful feeling trought your mouth.

O - This is one of the best beers I have ever tried. Excellent contexture! well balanced flavors. Smoky, caramelly, coffe, and chocolaty.!! :)

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.