2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,610 | Reviews: 1,801 | Show All Ratings:
THE-DUDE

Missouri

4.43/5  rDev +5%

I am typically not a big fan of black ales, but this is by far the best i have tried! It smells like an IPA, looks like a porter, and tastes fantastic. Floral, hoppy, slightly piney, and slightly sweet. Drinks very smooth and conceals the 8.7 very well.

02-16-2014 03:09:39 | More by THE-DUDE
dankman38

4.22/5  rDev 0%

This is one different beer, but it’s really good. This beer drinks, smells and tastes like a mellow IPA but with the hints of roasted cofee and carmel you’d expect from some porters or a quadrupel. Quite unique, if you get the chance I suggest trying it.

10-22-2007 02:10:16 | More by dankman38
PoolhouseRebel

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from bomber into my Stone RIS Tulip. Pours brown and slightly transparent but sits in the glass almost black. Hold it to the light and a bit of reddish brown comes through.

Smells of big citrus hops right off the bat, grapefruit, like their Ruination IPA, and with a little agitation I get some toasted chocolate behind caramel malt.

Got this in a trade so who knows how it was stored and what it went through en route from Cali to Jersey. I also burnt my tongue on some pizza earlier which may affect my palate, but as you can see, I am not a patient person. Taste was definitely full blown double IPA from the start, as I keep drinking the dark malt starts coming though but its still all hops front to back, start to finish. Actually come to think of it, there is more bitterness in the mouth than actual hop flavor.

Mouthfeel and drinkability are great. Sometimes IPAs, even for a hop head like me, get to be a little much but this dark malt is a great balance. Definitely a unique brew and I'm definitely looking forward to Stone's new Sublimely Self Righteous Ale which is apparently the same recipe but hopefully a little more fine tuned which would make this beer a favorite.

02-19-2009 01:34:47 | More by PoolhouseRebel
mmmmmbeeer

Georgia

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

A -- Absolutely beautiful pour. Black beer with a lovely creamish-coffee thick 2 finger head. Nice lacing as well

S -- I tried my best not to read any of the reviews on this nor did I read the back of the bottle. The way this poured I expected a heavy malt, coffee stout. Imagine my surprise when the nose was filled with a hop explosion of pine and citrus.

T -- Incredible. Big ups to Stone for this one. It's like an IPA-Stout hybrid on the palette. Hops kick in right off the bat and continue to scream all the way down but lurking in the background is a fantastic coffee/chocolate malt that leads to an incredible balance. I'm not sure if the malt is as present as I think, as this is rather bitter, or if it's the appearance playing tricks on me.

M -- very heavy with mild carbonation.

D -- With how smoothly this goes down, and sporting an 8.7ABV, this could be trouble.

08-22-2009 23:25:58 | More by mmmmmbeeer
caddyshack199

Maryland

2.4/5  rDev -43.1%

Stone sublimely Self-Righteous Ale
220z
A-dark almost black in color
H-wispy thin head nothing or any significance.
N-
T- heavy stout like, roasted malts, chocolate, HOPS!!! Strong
lingering hop character.
I- not very drinkable. Between the heavyness of the roasted malts and
the bitter hops it's a mouthful.

02-11-2010 00:40:03 | More by caddyshack199
Leviathan

4.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Stone rarely disappoints and this beer is no exception. Picked up this bomber several weeks ago and forgot about it in the fridge. Got home from the golf course today and found it behind some Williamsburg Ale Works...

Appearance is dark brown/black with a nice white head when poured into a pint glass. Smells like roasted, malty deliciousness...

The taste is like a strong ale bordering on stout-like proportions. This beer is well balanced with flavors of chocolate, coffee, and hops coating the palette. The beer laces nicely down the glass and leaves a nice crisp hop aftertaste.

I've always been a fan of Stone and will definitely throw this beer into the rotation now that the weather is cooling down. At nearly 9%, a few of these will have you melting back in your chair...

11-11-2010 23:44:19 | More by Leviathan
jlpayne

New Hampshire

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

A: Dark, dark brown with a subdued red tint. Huge, 3-finger, slightly off-white head. Dissipates slowly, leaving trace lacing.

S: Big. Hoppy. Notes of citrus.

T: Relative to the nose, the taste is quite understated. Slightly boozy and pleasantly bitter.

M: Svelte.

D: Very drinkable.

Another champion beer from Stone. Sublime indeed.

12-15-2010 00:21:07 | More by jlpayne
KMDouds

3.78/5  rDev -10.4%

Whoa, Stone has done it again! Sublimely Self-Righteous plays like a sacred union between an IPA and a Porter. Apparently such a union between these 2 styles yields a very favorable Black Ale.

Think big hops meets big malt. The slightly sweet slightly burnt malt flavoring is off set by the characteristic Stone hoppiness.

I experience this as a sipping brew: a beer to enjoy with time and conversation, something that warms with time, and actually improves upon it's initial taste. Strong across the board. The only thing that precludes a very high rating is it's fragrance, and that's perhaps the most subjective of the categories.

04-24-2011 21:59:47 | More by KMDouds
TheBlueWaffle

Maryland

4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

A - this beer is seriously dark, pitch black. If you shine a light into it you can see the unfiltered hops and malt.

S- Hops. Malt follows. Fruity and bready almost combining. Simcoe hits me especially..( brewed an all simcoe IIpa today so that may be why)

T - I have only had a few black IPA's, but this would definitely top my list if Stone would call it one. Hops straight forward with strong malt backbone, citrus, melon, coffee, and some caramel, all combining nicely.

M - very dry, gone almost as soon as you sip it, alcohol very present

O- Once again Stone has made an incredible beer. The best Black IPA I have ever had.

03-30-2012 04:18:53 | More by TheBlueWaffle
BrewDocCT

4.55/5  rDev +7.8%

12 oz. bottle (glad this one is in 4 packs now) into my Bell's pint.

Appearance is black. Black coffe black. Some light barely squeezes through.

Smell is floral and burnt.

Taste is jarring. Smacked with hops. Finishes with a coating bitterness and awesome roastiness.

Mouthfeel is sticky and resinous.

Overall just a great beer. One of my favorites. Stone really nailed a 'style' that can be hit or miss.

09-22-2012 20:52:51 | More by BrewDocCT
Echosolace

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

I came across this first on draught in Stubbies in Gainesville FL. I wasn't told the name, just that it was a black IPA. My friend got one first, him not being a beer lover, thought it was pretty good, so I ordered one and I flipped my shit. I could not, for the love of God, put it down. Once that stuff connected with my tongue, it was over and 2 more had to be on the way. Now I'm reviewing it in bottle form and it's just as good as I remembered it.

A: Nothing this dark have I had the pleasure of experiencing as a beer so unexpectedly refreshing and light(er). It is really dark, and it's not something I quite expected from the taste. From the look of it I'd expect something more like Dogfish Head's World Wide Stout, and if you know that one, then you can understand my surprise.

S: It's very present, but not overflowing. Kind of like a barbecue. It plays a big role in the taste.

T: Solidly smoked grains play in chord with the light bite of the hops. Malts are deftly woven as a foundation, more or less unnoticed by my tongue. A long aftertaste remains, like having a partly overcooked piece of chicken with charcoaled skin to bite through, and it is spectacular... Hold on, the glass is empty... I'll be right back. Mmm, much better. One more thing, it's always seemed a bit salty to me, I like it alot.

M: The bubbly is pretty shallow. It's the only thing I could hope for more of. It is good, just in my preference, I could enjoy a bit more.

D: Hell, even my burps are delicious. What do you think it's like going down? If I had this for every day of my life, well, for one I'd have an awesome beer belly, but secondly, I don't think you could find me tired of this taste. At least give me 20 years with this stuff, then maybe I'll reconsider.

05-20-2010 20:20:44 | More by Echosolace
jjjeremy

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured into wheat beer glass
Appearance-Black,fast pour led to three inch head that lasted forever with nice lacing
Smell-Heavy graipfruit/amongst other citrus aromas
Taste-Not nearly as pungent as the smell led me to think it would taste,of course a bit of grapefruit but more of the pith of an orange taste,mellow malt,slight candy taste.Bitter cherries,simple coffee,really quite complex
Mouthfeel-Very enjoyable,does not over stay its welcome
Overall-LOVE IT!!!Its brand new to st cloud,mn and getting a good positive reaction!!!

04-01-2011 20:54:07 | More by jjjeremy
adamdarcy

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

This brew is consistent through all five categories - overwhelmingly so, in that regard, and damn great because of that. Just pitch blackness when held up to light, smells of licorice, coffee, tobacco, ...must? ... the taste follows the appearance which follows the smell...mouthfeel follows the aforementioned, just big, robust, roasty...overall just wonderful big american dark ale!

12-13-2011 04:52:59 | More by adamdarcy
Toddzillamz

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Not as dark as Wesley Snipes, but a shade or two below. Laced up. My glass remained covered in film as I took sip after sip. Like three year-old unbrushed teeth. Love it.
S: Smells like Stone. What else? A locker full of sweaty briefs meets magic.
T: Tastes like Stone. One of the reasons I enjoy this brewery. In a blind taste test, you could always recognize a Stone brew. At first sip, you get ready for it to knock you on your butt with over-the-top hoppiness, but the ale fools you and comes flanking from the left with a gentle rush of roasted malts. Like when I got flanked from both sides by a couple Brazilians. Gostosa!
M: Aside from the open sores on my lips, which I'm treating at the moment, I felt no pain. Usually my mouth feels dirty, but after rinsing it with this holy water, I feel like a new man. Like when you gargle bleach, or when you go down on a virgin. Same thing. Virgins kill everything. Ask the africans.
O: Well, damn it, this is what matters most right? I hold this beer like I hold my member. It is precious.

10-30-2012 20:37:29 | More by Toddzillamz
Cubieblu

Served chilled in a Stella Artois Chalice, allowed to warm before drinking

A – Dark black with slight reddish around edge of glass if held up to light. 1 ½ fingers of light mocha colored head. Lots of alcohol lacing along the glass.

S – Big up front citrus and floral hops. When cold the roasted qualities didn’t really come out, but as it warmed up the roasted characters started coming out. Get a nice pleasant smell of the malts in the background.

T- Big hop forward beer. Lots of citrus, mostly of grapefruit. As it rolls over your tongue the roasted characteristics from coffee and bitter chocolate are slightly present. Then a nice bitterness of grapefruit gets you on the backend. Some alcohol is noticeable but just enough to let you know this is an imperal.

MF – Medium body with good amount of carbonation.

D – Very drinkable – goes down easily, maybe too easy.

06-06-2013 02:14:56 | More by Cubieblu
grimreeser

4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

This has been in the cellar for a year, was going to review it election night. Instead it gets it's turn tonight. Pours a dark brown with a nice tan head and very good lacing. Wow, big hop aroma still, very surprising considering it's been in my cellar for almost a year. Some chocolate as well. Nice flavor, big hop bite still in this one. This one is aging very nicely.

11-07-2008 00:47:51 | More by grimreeser
FrndthDuvel

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Picked up a bottle from South Bay.
Pouring agressively into a Duvel tulip, the beer produced a 2 fingered, gorgeous tan head. A deep rich black,I did not notice ruby highlights as some have mentioned. Great lacing.

Smell is piney with citrus notes in a BIG
way,the first clue that this is just not an 11th Anniversary pulled from the cellar.

This beer is all about the hop freshness for sure,but they are embraced with the smooth malt backbone that tastes familiar. As it warms a bit more complexity comes out, a bit of coffee here, a bit of chocolate and perhaps dark fuit there, but then the HOPS take over again and prevail above all other contributions. The roasted malt sweetness tries to suck you in and make you forget this is an IPA of sorts, albeit a black one pushing the boundaries. But the sweetness lasts only for a short period,never overpowering the soul of this beer which is the hops. The hops are never far from the experience that is Stone Sublimely.

Very smooth mouth feel. A tongue swipe of the mouth produces sweetness, but then the hop goodness comes on again. I am going to have to try one next to an 11th, but I think the Sublimely in this fresh state, is going to come out well ahead for me and is going to be a current favorite for me for awhile I believe.

01-23-2009 19:00:23 | More by FrndthDuvel
Alkiser

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

This beer pours a deep dark black with ruby red highlights around the edges. The smell of amarillo and simcoe assualt you from the moment you open and pour the beer. The head is a slightly off white and sticks around throughout the glass.

Hop bitterness dominates the taste with citrus notes throughout the beer. A malt creeps on the end of the beer to attempt to balance this out but so fresh the beer is weighted heavily to the hops.

Tasty but overall low drinkability due to the bitterness of the beer. An experince I would share with a friend again however.

03-28-2009 21:37:03 | More by Alkiser
gauchebag

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

I haven't felt like reviewing a beer in a long time but this is a pretty special brew.

22 oz. bottle

When held up to light you can see a little redness/brownness shine through but to the naked eye without the help it looks pretty damn black, like a stout.

Honestly, maybe one of the best smelling beers I've ever encountered. The smell is totally IPA but it's not as over-the-top as some tend to be. You can smell the hops without it being too citrusy or piney. The smell is mellow without being mellow if you get what I mean.

It tastes like it smells, but nothing like what it looks. It pretty much has it all, hoppy goodness a bit of malty sweetness, caramel, pine, grapefruit. I feel like almost every sip is different in a small way.

Incredibily drinkable, the abv is hardly noticeable. I can see why another reviewer put back 3 pints so easily. I'm going to be wishing there was more when these 22 ounces are gone.

Cheers.

01-30-2010 21:39:26 | More by gauchebag
treznor

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Served on tap at Pizza Paradiso (DC).

Appearance: Extremely black. Held up to a light a couple feet away a bit of light penetrates, but that's it. Dark ivory head. Fairly heavy lacing as it goes down.

Smell: Quite hoppy.

Taste: Bit of a punch in the mouth if you're think Black Ale (like 1554) instead of Black IPA. A bit smoother than you'd probably expect for a Stone IPA, with almost a bit of molasses in there.

Drinkability: Might be difficult to drink to many as it is quite hoppy, but I'd love to start the night with 1 or 2 to get things going. Will set quite the bar to measure up to though!

01-19-2011 02:01:07 | More by treznor
BeerT3ch

Georgia

4.22/5  rDev 0%

This is a really good beer! The unique name fits it's character. Stone Brewery strikes again! Deep/Rich in color, perfect exagerrated biterness, small head, but heavy lacing, malty and all around well balanced. Two of these you will be alright! lol. (Don't Drive)

10-21-2011 03:42:44 | More by BeerT3ch
BarleyWineRox

Colorado

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a black emptiness with a light toffee head into my tulip. Sticky lacing clings to the sides of the glass.
Grassy hoppy citrus aromas are given off.As it warms caramely malt shows. Candied citrus and hop bitterness in the mouth.This is a very tasty beer!

01-27-2012 03:22:14 | More by BarleyWineRox
boyermi206

Maine

4.08/5  rDev -3.3%

A- dark brown, dark ruby red held up to light

S- Malt that is dark, hops that are citrus

T- What? Did not expect that. Like a black IIPA, very unique, I like it. It tastes like an IPA but looks like a Stout/Porter. Very complex malts then the hops hit your throat like a Bruce Lee 1 inch punch.

M- Full and just the right amount of carbonation

O- Buy it and try it. If you like stouts and Ipa's then this seems to be the perfect combo.

07-20-2012 23:05:47 | More by boyermi206
lehueve

Mexico

A = Very dark brown, almost pitch black, 1 finger head

S = I actually get tons and tons of grapefruit, very citrusy, lots of hops, piney.

T = Grapefruit, grapegruit and more grapefuit, feels like I'm eating a complete grapefruit, when it warms up i get a little of caramel or sweet flavor, just a little and also a dark chocolate, not a sweet chocolate. Very hop forward.

M = Medium to full body, not too creamy but very well balanced. The bitterness stays for days after you finish this one. I actually drank a Sam Adams Latitude 48 IPA after this one and still have the mouthfeel of the Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous after it.

O = This is actually only the second Black IPA that I have had, the other one was the Black Racer IPA from Bear Republic. I think this is a very good beer, I would probably enjoy this better during the day in a hot weather but overall, a very good beer.

08-17-2013 09:58:10 | More by lehueve
mdubzfrumpdubz

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

Bought in NY, smuggled to Chicago, where Stone does not exist....

Out of a 22oz. bomber and into my Delerium Tremens Tulip, this gem pours very dark brown, almost black. Unfortunately my cold does not allow me to pick up all the notes in this one. Roasted malts and a decent hop profile define this beer, but do not overpower the chocolate and some sort of fruit (dates, raisins?) that come through on the back end. There is a slight warming from the alcohol after it is all said and done....until you take another sip....gets more complex as it warms, but again, my cold is not allowing me to identify alot of these tastes. The mouthfeel is exciting but smooth. This is categorized as an American Strong Ale, but it seems like more of an Imperial Stout or Porter. At 8.7%, I'm not sure I could drink this all night, but I wouldn't be afraid to have a couple.

Stone has never let me down before, and judging by this 11th anniversary ale, they probably never will. Well done sirs.

10-14-2007 02:03:06 | More by mdubzfrumpdubz
Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.