Join our email list →

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

American Black Ale | 8.70% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,891 | Hads: 5,853
4.38/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

my dear lord. this is great stuff. happy anniversary indeed!
pours deep brown almost black smells like a coffee and some fruit citrus and piny smells. very aromatic. taste is amazingly smooth and very balanced yet complex lots of different flavors exactly like what you smell instead of the high alcohol overwhelming the taste it warms you up with every drink. i love this stuff hopefully ill be able to get some more before its gone forever

4.44/5  rDev +5.7%

I fell in love with Stone beer after I had their IPA. When I buy a bottle of Stone, I know i'm going to get the following: a beautiful fragrance, a pleasant taste that lingers until the last droplet of beer goes down and a happy buzz.

I was more than excited to try this after my friend (Sloejams) told me about this.

Head: average head.

Aroma: very floral.

Appearance: very dark. looks thick.

Taste: solid. sweet and floral. the taste really sustains.

Mouthfeel: very full in my opinion.

Drinkability: Although I love stone beer, they are very strong in alcohol content. This was no different. I can only have a 22 of this beer otherwise it would be a little too rich for the stomach.

I loved this beer so much after I tried it, I ran into Whole Foods and bought a case at $4.49 per bottle. I cleaned out the case in less than 2 weeks.

Stone Brewing Company for President!!!

Pours: black/brown with a thick tan head

Aroma: pine, coffee

Taste: very strong and a small bit of bitterness

Mouthfeel: full-bodied, strong and a tad bit bitter but still smooth

Drinkability: this a super dark IPA and in a way reminds me of the Old Gaurdian but not such a strong Alcohol taste as the OG.
Going back to buy the store out.

Serving type: 22oz bottle

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

Appearance: Extremely dark ruby red/brownish color, brown head, some sediment. Nice head and lacing.

Aroma: Very nice floral and pine, very hoppy, a little citrus. Some roast and coffee notes come though.

Taste: Nice strong hop bite, pine, grapefruit, spice, with some citrus flavors and dryness. Some roast, coffee, and dark chocolate notes from the malts. Hops dominate this brew, but the sweetness from the malts is noticeable. Alcohol is noticeable.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth. Nice carbonation. Hop bitterness lingers on the palate.

Drinkability: Very well brewed Black IPA. Nice juicy hop flavor with some stout/porter characteristics. Stone is a very consistent brewery and this brew lives up to the high standards they set.

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

Very dark brown, dense 1 finger light tan head. Lacing about 1/2 way.

Some hops and dark fruit on the nose. Pine and licorice. As it warms, I'm picking up some fusels, moderate esters, maybe some sulfur (although maybe that's the smelly drunks sitting next to me).

Citrus, pine, and herbal notes upfront. Biting bitterness, fades sharply to dark fruit, orange and grapefruit, coffee and espresso. Lots of herbal-piney hops mid-palate, with a bready, toasty, pithy, grapefruit, herbal finish. There is a lot going on here. The progression is truly amazing, every moment is better than the last. Nice balance of sweet and bitter. Nice dark malt and ester profile. Finishes fruity, bittersweet, and pithy.

Good mouthfeel, too much carb, but moderate chewiness, excellent progression.

Very good overall, finishes a little too sweet. I want another one, but the selection is too good. Hop aroma and flavor are very fresh, a little skunky, in a good way (some of you will know what I mean).

4.32/5  rDev +2.9%

On tap at Harris Grill, 23-4-10.

Pours almost jet black with a thick layer of tan head. Piney hops prominent in nose; aromas of coffee and chocolate also present. Taste is big, boozy, and complex. The combination of bitter, resinous hops and rich roasted malt is interesting and new to me; the only other "black IPA" I've tried is Southern Tier's Iniquity, but SSSRA is more aggressive on all fronts. Sort of reminds me of Arrogant Bastard (one of my favorites), but with more of everything. Another winner from Stone.

4.32/5  rDev +2.9%

A: Dark and deep.
S: Very sweet and fruity.
T: A very nice contrast of sweet and bitter. The hops really stand here. Not as sugary as the smell indicated.
M: Nice. Slighty Warm. A little thinner than I expected.
D: Oh, I could drink this often. A very nice beer.

4.63/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

What a great beer! Dark, a really dark tan color--almost black. Fair carbonation. Coffee fan? You will love this bitter beer! Feels creamy in the mouth, goes down smooth, but has an unexpected bitter finish. This beer is overwhelming, and pretty much dominates your palette. Do not start with this first unless you only plan on drinking this all night, or plan to move up to something even more rich in flavor.

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a black emptiness with a light toffee head into my tulip. Sticky lacing clings to the sides of the glass.
Grassy hoppy citrus aromas are given off.As it warms caramely malt shows. Candied citrus and hop bitterness in the mouth.This is a very tasty beer!

4.06/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from a 22oz Bomber into a Pilsner Glass.

Dark jet black color, tiny amount of light penetrates this beast. Brown head.

Smell, tiny hint of pine and citrus. Malt smell is noticable.

Taste is pretty uniform. Like a lighter arrogant bastard that is better balanced with sweet and bitter. Could have more flavor though, but it also helps with the drinkability.

Mouthfeel is laced by a hop aftertaste that is pleasant.

Drinkability is outstanding. Could go bottle for bottle of this.

I had this on tap the first time I had it, and I thought that if God drinks beer this is probably the beer he drinks. Satan, too, if he has any taste (and I'll bet he does). It's black like Satan's soul, and the taste is unexpected because of it: It looks like a stout, but it's a huge hop wash across your tongue.

The head is like froth on a milkshake, and it's exceptionally white, especially in contrast to the beer itself.

I thought that the color was just a gimmick, but then I realized that what it adds is a psychological aspect that no other beer has (yet): It's like buying a black car. It's not any faster than a white car, but it feels like it might be, and it's a hell of a lot cooler; you just tend to enjoy it more. The color of this one adds some kind of layer that you only discern on a subconscious level.

I bought two cases and enjoy every bottle as much as the previous. if you can find it, it's worth the price.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

One of my all-time favorites, and really the perfect execution of this style.

A - Black with good brown depth that carries through the rich head. It laces like a sexy black boot sticking to the sides.

S - It gets on you really quick with a pine aroma and the smell of roasted malt goodness. I love that the hops leave a small citrus aroma in the nose.

T - The showstopper. Prettymuch delivers the same toasted goodness, arromatic juniper flavor, and citrus, but with very subtle cream hints.

M - It holds up well. It is a great balance between half and half and whole. It walks a tightrope well.

O - Can't say enough. Get this one if you (still) haven't had it.

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a Duvel tulip. This brew pours a near black and creates a huge foamy light tan head that last forever and leaves tons of lacing. Aromas of bitter hops,pine and citrus fruits,particularly grapefruit greet the nose. First sip reveals a surprising roasted malt character that is nicely balanced by bitter hops. Also hints of bitter coffee,chocolate and more citrus. This beer has a very usual flavor profile but the flavors work together amazingly well. Mouthfeel and carbonation are medium and there is a definite creamy quality to this beer. The finish is long and quite bitter and any hint of alcohol taste has been completely masked. This is a very interesting brew which manages to blend flavors you would not think would go together,and does so very well. An interesting ale I would gladly enjoy again.

4.56/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours dark brown with a tan head. Aroma is roasted malt hidden behind hop bitterness. Roasty taste, with hop oils residual. Full, creamy mouthfeel similar to a dry stout. Bitter front end plows over the creaminess with each sip. Hint of alcohol warmth is good indicator for non-info'd drinkers.

On draft, this is one of my favorite beers. From a bottle, it continues to live up to its worth.

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%

Pours dark with a slight amber hue. Meduim head.

Smells of roasted malts and chocolate followed by the piney hops.

Tastes like it smells, roasted malt and hops.

Full body with medium carbonation.

I love this beer. Certainly my favorite black IPA I have had to this point. I will drink this again often.

4.51/5  rDev +7.4%

A- Brown-black and opaque. Has a thick, frothy, tan head that smears down the glass like a Guinness.

S/T/M- Smells like citrus-y hops. Taste is IPA-ish (grapefruit, pine, bitter) combined with flavors of molasses and smoke. There is a pleasant sweetness from the malt. Finishes w/ a lingering bitterness. Feels relatively thick in the mouth, frothy, very nice. Flavor is immensely satisfying.

D- Nice. Take it easy though!

This is an exceptional beer. A black IPA-ish mutant.. Don't know how to categorize it, but it is big, bold, and wonderful.

Update: On subsequent tastings, I have been blown away every time. The head has had less of the creaminess than what I noted the first time, but it's still thick and ever-present.. This beer is a powerhouse of flavor. Top 5.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

a - deep dark sludge with a beautiful huge head. lacing seems to be everlasting. can't wait to dive into this.

s - bright citrus hops lead with a wallop of chocolate malt on the finish. smells as good as it looks...

t - this where this ale really explodes! a perfectly balanced marriage of cocoa and piney hops. it's subtle and huge at the same time...easily the best thing i've tasted from stone.

m - the perfect amount of bitterness, carbonation, and hoppy resin. not a hint of that high alcohol which could be a blessing or a curse.

d - holy crap...where have you been all my life? black ipa's are easily my favorite style of the last couple years and SSR is exceptional. i'm not the biggest fan of stone so i usually walk by them when i'm making a purchase. this beer has given me a new found respect for them. BUY THIS NOW!

4.26/5  rDev +1.4%

If you like big brown sudsy heads, get this one. Thick, foamy and tall.

Pour deep dark brown.

Taste is a like too coffee-chocolate for my taste, but not sweet. Other ale styles I like better, but no question this is a great beer. If you love this style, you'll be in heaven.

4.79/5  rDev +14%

This beer is so F'in Stone...I am however a "Stoner" I've shared this beer with many of my friends. It freaks most of them out! "What the hell is this?" is the most common response. It is a difficult beer to describe. It's hoppy, it's malty, it's, it's, it's...everything! I think Stone threw everything in this beer but the proverbial "kitchen sink"...Not for everybody, but this "Stoner" loves it!!

1.66/5  rDev -60.5%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

A: beautiful rich dark brown in color. Nice head, 2-3 fingers worth.

S: hoppy, piney-tar

T: wow,it's really hoppy! Did not expect it to be so bitter. Notes of pine, tiny little aftertaste of chocolate, but overhwlemed by the bitter metallic flavor. So bitter and metallic. It doesn't mellow either. Yikes!

M: good carbonation, nice thickness

O: I was so excited when I first poured it, rich head, great color... I got excited. Then, I smelled it, hoppy, pine, tar. The taste was so bitter, it has some depth which might become more noticeable if it weren't so bitter. Overall, I am underwhelmed. Perhaps if you like bitter, hoppy, metallic beers you might like it. I am not impressed.

Note: I would be willing to try it at a warmer temp., perhaps it might mellow out or add some depth. I just don't get the bitter beer movement.

4.62/5  rDev +10%

I live in MN, and don't get access to the Stone gems. I was going to trade this to a friend without tasting it, but he surprised me by opening it and letting me try it with him. Thanks, Jeppe!

I knew this was going to be a black IPA, or an India Black Ale, however you want to call it. I am a big fan of expanding the definitions of traditional styles, and Stone did just that with this brew. Poured dark and opaque. It had a healthy head on it, like any IPA should. Not viscous like an Imp. Stout, but just very different from most beers.

I was too eager to taste this one, so I forgot to dissect the nose. I apologize. But I'm not going to make up a fake one. I'm going it assume it was good, based on my other ratings.

At first I felt a little let down because it just tasted like a regular IPA, but ... wait for it ... the roasted barley showed up. I am pretty sure it was roast barley and not chocolate or black patent - but maybe I'm wrong. But it was a subtle flavor that just boosted the malt profile to round out the flavor and balance the hops. Truly elegant.

Creative and artistic with this beer. Fantastic stuff. It left the great sticky tackiness of a good IPA, but with some added depth from the darker grains. I could have drank the whole bomber, but I just appreciated my taste.

I guess the only criticism I might have would be that I was hoping for just a little more from the dark grains. As stated above, they made their appearance, and it was great, but perhaps just a touch more would have been nice. BUT, the subtleties are what make this the beer that it is.

Get it. Drink it.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Found this at my local liquor store and thought it looked interesting. Went in with no idea of what it was supposed to be.

I found a dark beer, appearing black in the glass but actually a brown with no visible particulates. I found a somewhat persistent frothy white head with the slightest of brown tints. I took a whiff and a got a noseful of hops, yet was not offended. It seemed to me like it smelled oddly familiar. Up-front hop bitterness in the taste seems to overwhelm the slightly roasted-tasting malt, but after about 1/4 of the glass I became accustomed to the bitterness and it was quite pleasant to drink. It was also about this time that I realized that this beer is a less-intense Arrogant Bastard. I should of guessed that from the name, but I guess I'm just a dumb bastard. ; )

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured into a stone ipa glass. big, slightly dark head. very dark, but not quite as dark as a stout.

smells slightly metalic and very hoppy. i might be getting sick or suffering from allergies so i dont really smell too much.

tastes very smooth. there is a bitter upfront bite like an ipa that slowly turns into a coffee stout flavor. the bitterness lasts for a long time. very good black ipa.

considering the 8.7% abv it is very drinkable. it is fairly carbonated and finishes very smoothly.

over all this is not my favorite beer, but it is definitely delicious and worth trying. i would most definitely buy this beer again.

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

My buddy brought over a 22 of this beer last night. Poured from the 22 oz bottle into one Sam Adams glass and one Long Trail pint glass.

Appearance: Very dark brown, but with some ruby red along the edges of the glass. Normal pour provided a decent head, probably one finger, and it dissipated very slowly.

Smell: Chocolate. In your face chocolate. My buddy said he smelled some bourbon too.

Taste: I had read that it's classified as an American Black Ale, which usually to me means Black IPA. This one did not have the hops to classify it as an IPA. I got a whole lot of chocolate in the aroma and no hops. The flavor was of sweet chocolate syrup, which gave way to a more bitter aftertaste with some heat from the alcohol (it is almost 9% after all). Not hop bitter, but rather dark malt bitter.

Mouthfeel: Good body on this beer. Pretty thick and heavy.

Overall: I'm giving this a 4.5 right now, mainly because I drank it thinking it was going to be hoppy, and that it was at least 90 degrees in my kitchen. This would be an AMAZING late fall or winter beer, but mid-July? I'll stick to my IPAs and keep this cellared for a few months.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

The dark color of this strong ale belies the hop kick it brings. Very tasty, excellent mouth feel..velvety...nice aroma. But still very drinkable, not heavy tasting...even on a warm summer evening. This is definitely a benchmark example of this style.

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.