Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale | Stone Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Style: American Black Ale

Added by Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007

Reviews: 1,895 | Ratings: 5,857
4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Haven't reviewed a beer in a while. Nor have I had a Stone Anniversary Brew since number X. Here it goes.

Bought the beer at Whole Foods in Brentwood. You can always count on Whole Foods for some good beer. Not a revolutionary selection, but they've always got some good old stand-bys when I am in the mood to achieve some beer flavor satisfaction. On a relative scale (and by this I am comparing L.A. to the Bay Area) it is nice to have somewhere to go for good beer in this land of Corona and Stella Artios.

Nice Appearance, pours translucent black with plenty of copper and burgundy when held up the the light. Beautiful, well balanced head, with light tan lacing but it definitely doesn't linger.

Hoppy, iron laced, rusty full bodied and hoppy aroma. I'm getting a floral hoppy smell and prelude to nice and unique character.

Great taste, notes of coffee, malt and finishes with a strong but harmonious bitterness that makes you thirsty for more. Lots of hops including hop bitterness in addition to the hoppy floral flavor. Tastes like a stout IPA.

Overall, a Great beer. I like it. My only criticism (and I don't trust critics) would be to increase the malty body which will bring out the sweetness of this beer and also increase the aftertaste's staying power.

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

Pours a dark black color from a 22oz bottle.

Medium sized foamy head, with good retention and decent lacing.

Aroma is floral with bold grapefruit and piney hops with nice chocolate malts.

The malts are roasted and chocolate. The hops are intense, lots of grapefruit and pine. Bitter. It has a interesting interplay between the hops and roasted malts. Lively carbonation. Alcohol is not overwhelming in the taste.

Mouthfeel is full and the finish is clean. Aftertaste is slightly dry.

Great beer, I bought a case.

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

Tasted 10/29/07 with dfillius

Poured pitch black like a Coke, with a finger of milky-coffee-colored head. Delicious hops in the nose, lots of pine, with a bit of citrus that changed into a candied or dried pineapple smell as it warmed a bit.

Tasted of coffee in the front, but with sweet dark malty notes. The hop bitterness was a piney citrus flavor, a bit like the taste of white fir needles. A dry aftertaste, with slight bitterness and coffee flavors that reminded me of espresso.

The beer was quite smooth and easy drinkin' for a "Dark IPA" with the high ABV.

Excellent overall.

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

my dear lord. this is great stuff. happy anniversary indeed!
pours deep brown almost black smells like a coffee and some fruit citrus and piny smells. very aromatic. taste is amazingly smooth and very balanced yet complex lots of different flavors exactly like what you smell instead of the high alcohol overwhelming the taste it warms you up with every drink. i love this stuff hopefully ill be able to get some more before its gone forever

4.44/5  rDev +5.7%

I fell in love with Stone beer after I had their IPA. When I buy a bottle of Stone, I know i'm going to get the following: a beautiful fragrance, a pleasant taste that lingers until the last droplet of beer goes down and a happy buzz.

I was more than excited to try this after my friend (Sloejams) told me about this.

Head: average head.

Aroma: very floral.

Appearance: very dark. looks thick.

Taste: solid. sweet and floral. the taste really sustains.

Mouthfeel: very full in my opinion.

Drinkability: Although I love stone beer, they are very strong in alcohol content. This was no different. I can only have a 22 of this beer otherwise it would be a little too rich for the stomach.

I loved this beer so much after I tried it, I ran into Whole Foods and bought a case at $4.49 per bottle. I cleaned out the case in less than 2 weeks.

Stone Brewing Company for President!!!

Pours: black/brown with a thick tan head

Aroma: pine, coffee

Taste: very strong and a small bit of bitterness

Mouthfeel: full-bodied, strong and a tad bit bitter but still smooth

Drinkability: this a super dark IPA and in a way reminds me of the Old Gaurdian but not such a strong Alcohol taste as the OG.
Going back to buy the store out.

Serving type: 22oz bottle

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

Appearance: Extremely dark ruby red/brownish color, brown head, some sediment. Nice head and lacing.

Aroma: Very nice floral and pine, very hoppy, a little citrus. Some roast and coffee notes come though.

Taste: Nice strong hop bite, pine, grapefruit, spice, with some citrus flavors and dryness. Some roast, coffee, and dark chocolate notes from the malts. Hops dominate this brew, but the sweetness from the malts is noticeable. Alcohol is noticeable.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth. Nice carbonation. Hop bitterness lingers on the palate.

Drinkability: Very well brewed Black IPA. Nice juicy hop flavor with some stout/porter characteristics. Stone is a very consistent brewery and this brew lives up to the high standards they set.

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

Very dark brown, dense 1 finger light tan head. Lacing about 1/2 way.

Some hops and dark fruit on the nose. Pine and licorice. As it warms, I'm picking up some fusels, moderate esters, maybe some sulfur (although maybe that's the smelly drunks sitting next to me).

Citrus, pine, and herbal notes upfront. Biting bitterness, fades sharply to dark fruit, orange and grapefruit, coffee and espresso. Lots of herbal-piney hops mid-palate, with a bready, toasty, pithy, grapefruit, herbal finish. There is a lot going on here. The progression is truly amazing, every moment is better than the last. Nice balance of sweet and bitter. Nice dark malt and ester profile. Finishes fruity, bittersweet, and pithy.

Good mouthfeel, too much carb, but moderate chewiness, excellent progression.

Very good overall, finishes a little too sweet. I want another one, but the selection is too good. Hop aroma and flavor are very fresh, a little skunky, in a good way (some of you will know what I mean).

4.32/5  rDev +2.9%

On tap at Harris Grill, 23-4-10.

Pours almost jet black with a thick layer of tan head. Piney hops prominent in nose; aromas of coffee and chocolate also present. Taste is big, boozy, and complex. The combination of bitter, resinous hops and rich roasted malt is interesting and new to me; the only other "black IPA" I've tried is Southern Tier's Iniquity, but SSSRA is more aggressive on all fronts. Sort of reminds me of Arrogant Bastard (one of my favorites), but with more of everything. Another winner from Stone.

4.32/5  rDev +2.9%

A: Dark and deep.
S: Very sweet and fruity.
T: A very nice contrast of sweet and bitter. The hops really stand here. Not as sugary as the smell indicated.
M: Nice. Slighty Warm. A little thinner than I expected.
D: Oh, I could drink this often. A very nice beer.

4.63/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

What a great beer! Dark, a really dark tan color--almost black. Fair carbonation. Coffee fan? You will love this bitter beer! Feels creamy in the mouth, goes down smooth, but has an unexpected bitter finish. This beer is overwhelming, and pretty much dominates your palette. Do not start with this first unless you only plan on drinking this all night, or plan to move up to something even more rich in flavor.

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a black emptiness with a light toffee head into my tulip. Sticky lacing clings to the sides of the glass.
Grassy hoppy citrus aromas are given off.As it warms caramely malt shows. Candied citrus and hop bitterness in the mouth.This is a very tasty beer!

4.06/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from a 22oz Bomber into a Pilsner Glass.

Dark jet black color, tiny amount of light penetrates this beast. Brown head.

Smell, tiny hint of pine and citrus. Malt smell is noticable.

Taste is pretty uniform. Like a lighter arrogant bastard that is better balanced with sweet and bitter. Could have more flavor though, but it also helps with the drinkability.

Mouthfeel is laced by a hop aftertaste that is pleasant.

Drinkability is outstanding. Could go bottle for bottle of this.

I had this on tap the first time I had it, and I thought that if God drinks beer this is probably the beer he drinks. Satan, too, if he has any taste (and I'll bet he does). It's black like Satan's soul, and the taste is unexpected because of it: It looks like a stout, but it's a huge hop wash across your tongue.

The head is like froth on a milkshake, and it's exceptionally white, especially in contrast to the beer itself.

I thought that the color was just a gimmick, but then I realized that what it adds is a psychological aspect that no other beer has (yet): It's like buying a black car. It's not any faster than a white car, but it feels like it might be, and it's a hell of a lot cooler; you just tend to enjoy it more. The color of this one adds some kind of layer that you only discern on a subconscious level.

I bought two cases and enjoy every bottle as much as the previous. if you can find it, it's worth the price.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

One of my all-time favorites, and really the perfect execution of this style.

A - Black with good brown depth that carries through the rich head. It laces like a sexy black boot sticking to the sides.

S - It gets on you really quick with a pine aroma and the smell of roasted malt goodness. I love that the hops leave a small citrus aroma in the nose.

T - The showstopper. Prettymuch delivers the same toasted goodness, arromatic juniper flavor, and citrus, but with very subtle cream hints.

M - It holds up well. It is a great balance between half and half and whole. It walks a tightrope well.

O - Can't say enough. Get this one if you (still) haven't had it.

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a Duvel tulip. This brew pours a near black and creates a huge foamy light tan head that last forever and leaves tons of lacing. Aromas of bitter hops,pine and citrus fruits,particularly grapefruit greet the nose. First sip reveals a surprising roasted malt character that is nicely balanced by bitter hops. Also hints of bitter coffee,chocolate and more citrus. This beer has a very usual flavor profile but the flavors work together amazingly well. Mouthfeel and carbonation are medium and there is a definite creamy quality to this beer. The finish is long and quite bitter and any hint of alcohol taste has been completely masked. This is a very interesting brew which manages to blend flavors you would not think would go together,and does so very well. An interesting ale I would gladly enjoy again.

4.56/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours dark brown with a tan head. Aroma is roasted malt hidden behind hop bitterness. Roasty taste, with hop oils residual. Full, creamy mouthfeel similar to a dry stout. Bitter front end plows over the creaminess with each sip. Hint of alcohol warmth is good indicator for non-info'd drinkers.

On draft, this is one of my favorite beers. From a bottle, it continues to live up to its worth.

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%

Pours dark with a slight amber hue. Meduim head.

Smells of roasted malts and chocolate followed by the piney hops.

Tastes like it smells, roasted malt and hops.

Full body with medium carbonation.

I love this beer. Certainly my favorite black IPA I have had to this point. I will drink this again often.

4.51/5  rDev +7.4%

A- Brown-black and opaque. Has a thick, frothy, tan head that smears down the glass like a Guinness.

S/T/M- Smells like citrus-y hops. Taste is IPA-ish (grapefruit, pine, bitter) combined with flavors of molasses and smoke. There is a pleasant sweetness from the malt. Finishes w/ a lingering bitterness. Feels relatively thick in the mouth, frothy, very nice. Flavor is immensely satisfying.

D- Nice. Take it easy though!

This is an exceptional beer. A black IPA-ish mutant.. Don't know how to categorize it, but it is big, bold, and wonderful.

Update: On subsequent tastings, I have been blown away every time. The head has had less of the creaminess than what I noted the first time, but it's still thick and ever-present.. This beer is a powerhouse of flavor. Top 5.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

a - deep dark sludge with a beautiful huge head. lacing seems to be everlasting. can't wait to dive into this.

s - bright citrus hops lead with a wallop of chocolate malt on the finish. smells as good as it looks...

t - this where this ale really explodes! a perfectly balanced marriage of cocoa and piney hops. it's subtle and huge at the same time...easily the best thing i've tasted from stone.

m - the perfect amount of bitterness, carbonation, and hoppy resin. not a hint of that high alcohol which could be a blessing or a curse.

d - holy crap...where have you been all my life? black ipa's are easily my favorite style of the last couple years and SSR is exceptional. i'm not the biggest fan of stone so i usually walk by them when i'm making a purchase. this beer has given me a new found respect for them. BUY THIS NOW!

4.26/5  rDev +1.4%

If you like big brown sudsy heads, get this one. Thick, foamy and tall.

Pour deep dark brown.

Taste is a like too coffee-chocolate for my taste, but not sweet. Other ale styles I like better, but no question this is a great beer. If you love this style, you'll be in heaven.

4.79/5  rDev +14%

This beer is so F'in Stone...I am however a "Stoner" I've shared this beer with many of my friends. It freaks most of them out! "What the hell is this?" is the most common response. It is a difficult beer to describe. It's hoppy, it's malty, it's, it's, it's...everything! I think Stone threw everything in this beer but the proverbial "kitchen sink"...Not for everybody, but this "Stoner" loves it!!

1.66/5  rDev -60.5%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

A: beautiful rich dark brown in color. Nice head, 2-3 fingers worth.

S: hoppy, piney-tar

T: wow,it's really hoppy! Did not expect it to be so bitter. Notes of pine, tiny little aftertaste of chocolate, but overhwlemed by the bitter metallic flavor. So bitter and metallic. It doesn't mellow either. Yikes!

M: good carbonation, nice thickness

O: I was so excited when I first poured it, rich head, great color... I got excited. Then, I smelled it, hoppy, pine, tar. The taste was so bitter, it has some depth which might become more noticeable if it weren't so bitter. Overall, I am underwhelmed. Perhaps if you like bitter, hoppy, metallic beers you might like it. I am not impressed.

Note: I would be willing to try it at a warmer temp., perhaps it might mellow out or add some depth. I just don't get the bitter beer movement.

4.46/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I am not an IPA drinker so this one was a little rough for me. However, I can't deny it is full of body and flavor and will make any IPA lover beg for more. The smell of coffee (and maybe chocolate) is pleasant and again makes this a standout among IPAs. If you love your porters and/or IPAs then this is for you. For those of you who shy away...take several steps back.

4.62/5  rDev +10%

I live in MN, and don't get access to the Stone gems. I was going to trade this to a friend without tasting it, but he surprised me by opening it and letting me try it with him. Thanks, Jeppe!

I knew this was going to be a black IPA, or an India Black Ale, however you want to call it. I am a big fan of expanding the definitions of traditional styles, and Stone did just that with this brew. Poured dark and opaque. It had a healthy head on it, like any IPA should. Not viscous like an Imp. Stout, but just very different from most beers.

I was too eager to taste this one, so I forgot to dissect the nose. I apologize. But I'm not going to make up a fake one. I'm going it assume it was good, based on my other ratings.

At first I felt a little let down because it just tasted like a regular IPA, but ... wait for it ... the roasted barley showed up. I am pretty sure it was roast barley and not chocolate or black patent - but maybe I'm wrong. But it was a subtle flavor that just boosted the malt profile to round out the flavor and balance the hops. Truly elegant.

Creative and artistic with this beer. Fantastic stuff. It left the great sticky tackiness of a good IPA, but with some added depth from the darker grains. I could have drank the whole bomber, but I just appreciated my taste.

I guess the only criticism I might have would be that I was hoping for just a little more from the dark grains. As stated above, they made their appearance, and it was great, but perhaps just a touch more would have been nice. BUT, the subtleties are what make this the beer that it is.

Get it. Drink it.

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.