Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,888 | Hads: 5,845
4.28/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Last night went to Stone Brewery and was able to get a few glasses of the 11th anniversary. I'm not a huge fan of the black beers, but I have to say that the hoppiness of it being an IPA shined through and had a balanced mix of dark and hops.

The appearance on this sucker is absolutely appealing. It's doesn't break up like a guiness or have a nasty smell like most darks. It has a clean hoppy smell.

I have to say, the only downer for me was mouthfeel. I didn't get the usual amazing burst of hops I get when tasting an IPA. It was very drinkable though and I could have sat there all night pounding one after another.

Overall... if you're at Stone any time soon, I'd definitely get a few glasses. It's only $4 a pop and its definitely worth it.

3.85/5  rDev -8.3%

Was totally caught off guard when I poured as I was not expecting a black ale. Reminded me of a porter from the looks. Dark coca-cola like coloring with a thin caramel toned head.

Some nice lacing on the glass and a pleasant carbonation level. It definitely walked the line between a traditional ale and a porter. Hints of grapefruit and some nice subtle hops without the syrupy feel.

Definitely piqued my interest in darker ales.

4.77/5  rDev +13.6%

I was doing some spring cleaning tonight, and this included going through all the beer in my pantry and trying to organize it. I bought a case of this last February after having the extremely rare pleasure (for the east coast anyways!) of having it on tap.

I was never too impressed with the bottle after having it on tap, but it was still a very solid beer. I probably hadn't had one for about 6 months, maybe longer. The time has treated this beer extremely well.

Hops have mellowed considerably, but there is still a nice grapefruit-like smell with a hint of pine. It takes me back to the time I had it on tap the second I smell it.

The mellowing of the hops have really helped it to get some balance, actually bringing the taste closer to what I experienced when I had it on tap. Its' hard to explain but in the bottle they never really seemed to mesh. Until now. Between the rich dark malts, the abundance of fruity flavors, and that intoxicating aroma, it is almost overwhelming to drink. Almost ;)

The alcohol taste remains pretty strong, but at 8.7% that is hard to avoid.

Mouthfeel is about the same, but the improved balance has really let
Like a fine wine, this is getting better and better with age. If you get a chance to drink it, don't let the age turn you off. Even though its' getting old, it still won't disappoint! I don't even have a basement either, I bet this would be even better if it had been sitting in ideal conditions.

Now, time to go drink the other half of the bottle :D

4.45/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Stumbled across the Sublimely Self Righteous one day at my local beer store and was instantly intrigued by the black color of the so called American Strong Ale. Upon purchasing, some rapid cooling and then a satisfying uncapping; the beer poured a thick almost creamy black with a thin dark tan head. After taking a sip I was hooked.

So imagine my shock and joy upon having Sublimely appear on tap at a bar near me. When delivered it had all the velvety appearance of the bottled version and more. The aroma coming off the glass is something akin to a IPA surviving a very mild lumber yard fire (primarily ceder and oak, maybe some pine) fire; with just enough heat and smoke to darken and roast without driving off the hops. The tap better preserves the roasted character of the beer and the subtle hop aroma while enhancing the mouth feel. As with the bottled version this beer is very drinkable and something I recommend to people new to beer and more seasoned drinkers alike.

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Very very dark brown. Cannot see through liquid what so ever. 1 finger medium tan head. Head is thin in consistency.

S - Sweet caramel and vanilla, maybe even an almond extract type smell. Woodsy/earthy/burnt smells. There is some other smell in there that I just can't identify but can be detected on the exhale.

T - Strong barley. Wood tastes with a bitter aftertaste. Seems like the hops would have been more detectable when it was fresher but has been bottled for almost 2 years so they have lost some of their potency.

M - Very thick almost chewy. Very low carbonation.

D - This a pretty strong brew. Alcohol taste is pretty apparent. This almost seems like a desert beer. I could imagine having this with a ice cream covered hot cookie desert.

3.91/5  rDev -6.9%

Hmmm... "strong ale", "black ipa", "dark cascadian" or "black ale" ... ???

Doesn't really matter much to me... I'm not a stickler of beer identification, all I know is that this stuff is pretty good.

It reminds me of Sierra Nevada's Torpedo and is a lot alike Stones' bastard ale.

this ale's very malt centric and has a nice dark brown or "Cola" tint to it. The head is thin and there's very little lacing.

The nose is pretty decent; again malt centric, with a good sweet candied, cake like feel. You definitely get a light roasted malt scent. The hop is lurking in the background; not exactly sure how to identify it; I want to say piney/citric; but there's a little floral too. All in all, a delightful nose with a good balance.

The taste is very nice. Not overpowering but not light either. A good medium to heavy flavor that is distinctly lightly roasted malty and candied fruit. When I say candied fruit I mean a nice candied dry fruit; mostly cherry, apricot and orange.

I hate to say this, but I'm going to anyway... the finish on this reminds me of fruit cake, but in a good way. Not the "what you hate" about fruit cake; but the actually "ok there's something good in here" aspect of fruitcake. But the finish also has that classic roasted malt taste. But a light roasted malt... not like a porter or stout.

The hops are there too; just a little hard to pin point. But there is a bitterness and it's very balanced with the sweetness of the malt; making it seem less bitter then what I'm sure it is.

All in all, a very pleasing ale. Not my favorite, but certainly not bad and I don't mind drinking it at all. This ale in my opinion is a great after dinner drink.

3.58/5  rDev -14.8%

MUCH better on tap than in the bottle. In the bottle -- for me -- it had a strong aroma of urine that really lessened the drinking experience. However, on tap, this aroma was not present, making it a very nice beer ... ON TAP.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

This is one different beer, but it’s really good. This beer drinks, smells and tastes like a mellow IPA but with the hints of roasted cofee and carmel you’d expect from some porters or a quadrupel. Quite unique, if you get the chance I suggest trying it.

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from bomber into my Stone RIS Tulip. Pours brown and slightly transparent but sits in the glass almost black. Hold it to the light and a bit of reddish brown comes through.

Smells of big citrus hops right off the bat, grapefruit, like their Ruination IPA, and with a little agitation I get some toasted chocolate behind caramel malt.

Got this in a trade so who knows how it was stored and what it went through en route from Cali to Jersey. I also burnt my tongue on some pizza earlier which may affect my palate, but as you can see, I am not a patient person. Taste was definitely full blown double IPA from the start, as I keep drinking the dark malt starts coming though but its still all hops front to back, start to finish. Actually come to think of it, there is more bitterness in the mouth than actual hop flavor.

Mouthfeel and drinkability are great. Sometimes IPAs, even for a hop head like me, get to be a little much but this dark malt is a great balance. Definitely a unique brew and I'm definitely looking forward to Stone's new Sublimely Self Righteous Ale which is apparently the same recipe but hopefully a little more fine tuned which would make this beer a favorite.

2.43/5  rDev -42.1%

Stone sublimely Self-Righteous Ale
A-dark almost black in color
H-wispy thin head nothing or any significance.
T- heavy stout like, roasted malts, chocolate, HOPS!!! Strong
lingering hop character.
I- not very drinkable. Between the heavyness of the roasted malts and
the bitter hops it's a mouthful.

4.58/5  rDev +9%

A -- Absolutely beautiful pour. Black beer with a lovely creamish-coffee thick 2 finger head. Nice lacing as well

S -- I tried my best not to read any of the reviews on this nor did I read the back of the bottle. The way this poured I expected a heavy malt, coffee stout. Imagine my surprise when the nose was filled with a hop explosion of pine and citrus.

T -- Incredible. Big ups to Stone for this one. It's like an IPA-Stout hybrid on the palette. Hops kick in right off the bat and continue to scream all the way down but lurking in the background is a fantastic coffee/chocolate malt that leads to an incredible balance. I'm not sure if the malt is as present as I think, as this is rather bitter, or if it's the appearance playing tricks on me.

M -- very heavy with mild carbonation.

D -- With how smoothly this goes down, and sporting an 8.7ABV, this could be trouble.

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Stone rarely disappoints and this beer is no exception. Picked up this bomber several weeks ago and forgot about it in the fridge. Got home from the golf course today and found it behind some Williamsburg Ale Works...

Appearance is dark brown/black with a nice white head when poured into a pint glass. Smells like roasted, malty deliciousness...

The taste is like a strong ale bordering on stout-like proportions. This beer is well balanced with flavors of chocolate, coffee, and hops coating the palette. The beer laces nicely down the glass and leaves a nice crisp hop aftertaste.

I've always been a fan of Stone and will definitely throw this beer into the rotation now that the weather is cooling down. At nearly 9%, a few of these will have you melting back in your chair...

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

A: Dark, dark brown with a subdued red tint. Huge, 3-finger, slightly off-white head. Dissipates slowly, leaving trace lacing.

S: Big. Hoppy. Notes of citrus.

T: Relative to the nose, the taste is quite understated. Slightly boozy and pleasantly bitter.

M: Svelte.

D: Very drinkable.

Another champion beer from Stone. Sublime indeed.

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

Whoa, Stone has done it again! Sublimely Self-Righteous plays like a sacred union between an IPA and a Porter. Apparently such a union between these 2 styles yields a very favorable Black Ale.

Think big hops meets big malt. The slightly sweet slightly burnt malt flavoring is off set by the characteristic Stone hoppiness.

I experience this as a sipping brew: a beer to enjoy with time and conversation, something that warms with time, and actually improves upon it's initial taste. Strong across the board. The only thing that precludes a very high rating is it's fragrance, and that's perhaps the most subjective of the categories.

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%

12 oz. bottle (glad this one is in 4 packs now) into my Bell's pint.

Appearance is black. Black coffe black. Some light barely squeezes through.

Smell is floral and burnt.

Taste is jarring. Smacked with hops. Finishes with a coating bitterness and awesome roastiness.

Mouthfeel is sticky and resinous.

Overall just a great beer. One of my favorites. Stone really nailed a 'style' that can be hit or miss.

4.44/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bomber $6.50 Expiration 8/31

Appearance- looks like a porter or stout with a beautiful brown head.

Smell - Like grapefruit dipped in Chocoate

Taste- Pretty much like the smell. Very delicious and I wish I had another bottle

Mouthfeel- very creamy and soft

Overall- First American Black Ale. Just awesome. Really enjoying the whole experience. Will be buying this again. Really enjoyed it.

Ruler of all Black IPAs!!!

Sorry, I've had many and there is just no comparison. There are some great ones out there like the Wookie Jack and Mountain Standard, but they Tremble before the presence of their Blue Demon Labeled Master!!! LOL sorry, I'm just having too much fun here.

Its the Hoppiest of all the Black IPAs I've had and the Black Malt sweetness brings it all home to the most unique flavored Black IPA I've had. it might best too sweet for some Hopheads, but its so hoppy it just doesn't matter. This is what a Black IPA should be. The only Competition is has is something Lagunitas did and I can'remember what its called. Bring on the 5s!!!

4.94/5  rDev +17.6%

This has to be the best black IPA on the planet. Great dark appearance! The smell of roasted malts is phenomenal. Characteristically over hopped like many Stone beers but the Taste is a perfect blend of malt and hops. This could be my favorite Stone beer, and they have a lot of great ones!

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

I came across this first on draught in Stubbies in Gainesville FL. I wasn't told the name, just that it was a black IPA. My friend got one first, him not being a beer lover, thought it was pretty good, so I ordered one and I flipped my shit. I could not, for the love of God, put it down. Once that stuff connected with my tongue, it was over and 2 more had to be on the way. Now I'm reviewing it in bottle form and it's just as good as I remembered it.

A: Nothing this dark have I had the pleasure of experiencing as a beer so unexpectedly refreshing and light(er). It is really dark, and it's not something I quite expected from the taste. From the look of it I'd expect something more like Dogfish Head's World Wide Stout, and if you know that one, then you can understand my surprise.

S: It's very present, but not overflowing. Kind of like a barbecue. It plays a big role in the taste.

T: Solidly smoked grains play in chord with the light bite of the hops. Malts are deftly woven as a foundation, more or less unnoticed by my tongue. A long aftertaste remains, like having a partly overcooked piece of chicken with charcoaled skin to bite through, and it is spectacular... Hold on, the glass is empty... I'll be right back. Mmm, much better. One more thing, it's always seemed a bit salty to me, I like it alot.

M: The bubbly is pretty shallow. It's the only thing I could hope for more of. It is good, just in my preference, I could enjoy a bit more.

D: Hell, even my burps are delicious. What do you think it's like going down? If I had this for every day of my life, well, for one I'd have an awesome beer belly, but secondly, I don't think you could find me tired of this taste. At least give me 20 years with this stuff, then maybe I'll reconsider.

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours almost black with a nice Lacey head

Emits a nice citrus aroma

Great hoppy taste that finishes extremely well

Mouthfeel sets the standard and really makes you want to keep coming back for more.

Overall, Stone has set the bar for black IPA's. I think this is one of the best beers on the market as it is so well rounded in all categories and is worthy of its namesake.

4.16/5  rDev -1%

Poured into wheat beer glass
Appearance-Black,fast pour led to three inch head that lasted forever with nice lacing
Smell-Heavy graipfruit/amongst other citrus aromas
Taste-Not nearly as pungent as the smell led me to think it would taste,of course a bit of grapefruit but more of the pith of an orange taste,mellow malt,slight candy taste.Bitter cherries,simple coffee,really quite complex
Mouthfeel-Very enjoyable,does not over stay its welcome
Overall-LOVE IT!!!Its brand new to st cloud,mn and getting a good positive reaction!!!

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

A: Not as dark as Wesley Snipes, but a shade or two below. Laced up. My glass remained covered in film as I took sip after sip. Like three year-old unbrushed teeth. Love it.
S: Smells like Stone. What else? A locker full of sweaty briefs meets magic.
T: Tastes like Stone. One of the reasons I enjoy this brewery. In a blind taste test, you could always recognize a Stone brew. At first sip, you get ready for it to knock you on your butt with over-the-top hoppiness, but the ale fools you and comes flanking from the left with a gentle rush of roasted malts. Like when I got flanked from both sides by a couple Brazilians. Gostosa!
M: Aside from the open sores on my lips, which I'm treating at the moment, I felt no pain. Usually my mouth feels dirty, but after rinsing it with this holy water, I feel like a new man. Like when you gargle bleach, or when you go down on a virgin. Same thing. Virgins kill everything. Ask the africans.
O: Well, damn it, this is what matters most right? I hold this beer like I hold my member. It is precious.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

This has been in the cellar for a year, was going to review it election night. Instead it gets it's turn tonight. Pours a dark brown with a nice tan head and very good lacing. Wow, big hop aroma still, very surprising considering it's been in my cellar for almost a year. Some chocolate as well. Nice flavor, big hop bite still in this one. This one is aging very nicely.

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

I haven't felt like reviewing a beer in a long time but this is a pretty special brew.

22 oz. bottle

When held up to light you can see a little redness/brownness shine through but to the naked eye without the help it looks pretty damn black, like a stout.

Honestly, maybe one of the best smelling beers I've ever encountered. The smell is totally IPA but it's not as over-the-top as some tend to be. You can smell the hops without it being too citrusy or piney. The smell is mellow without being mellow if you get what I mean.

It tastes like it smells, but nothing like what it looks. It pretty much has it all, hoppy goodness a bit of malty sweetness, caramel, pine, grapefruit. I feel like almost every sip is different in a small way.

Incredibily drinkable, the abv is hardly noticeable. I can see why another reviewer put back 3 pints so easily. I'm going to be wishing there was more when these 22 ounces are gone.

4.34/5  rDev +3.3%

This beer pours a deep dark black with ruby red highlights around the edges. The smell of amarillo and simcoe assualt you from the moment you open and pour the beer. The head is a slightly off white and sticks around throughout the glass.

Hop bitterness dominates the taste with citrus notes throughout the beer. A malt creeps on the end of the beer to attempt to balance this out but so fresh the beer is weighted heavily to the hops.

Tasty but overall low drinkability due to the bitterness of the beer. An experince I would share with a friend again however.

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.