2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2008 - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2008Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2008

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Barleywine |  11.26% ABV

(Beer added by: HimerMan on 01-27-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next › last »
Ratings: 321 | Reviews: 260 | Show All Ratings:
bunnyhustle

This one just seemed to need a tulip glass to best enjoy it. Pours a mostly clear amber with somewhat thick off-white head with mediocre retention, some lacing. Smell is of grapefruit, pineapple, and citrus, a bit of alcohol as well. Taste is interesting, a little more complex than I personally expected. At first there is a citric, grapefruit bite to it with a touch of malty sweetness. As it hits the back of your tounge there is a somewhat strong hop presence and the warming taste of alcohol. A somewhat oily and bitter feeling is left behind in the mouth. Overall the taste is pleasant and the alcohol is not a pronounced as I expected. Mouthfeel is medium and for the style this is very drinkable. As everyone else mentioned, I'm curious to see how this ages, but for now it was an enjoyable brew.

02-04-2008 01:50:59 | More by bunnyhustle
biking4beer

Colorado

3.48/5  rDev -14.9%

Early 2008 Release.

Pours a hazy deep orange. Minimal whispy, white head. Would have like to seen more head on this one.

Smells super sugary. Orange, floral hops, and a prominent caramel to toffee aroma. You can almost smell the bitterness in this one.

I big fat grapefruit is thrown at you and smacks you across the head. We're not talking a regular old grapefruit, but it's one of those big Texas ones. There is prominent alcohol in this one, but that's not a bad thing. Pretty good actually. The sweetness shines through just a touch between the bitterness and alcohol.

Mouthfeel is thick and oily. Creamy but yet a good level of carbonation to break everything up.

I wouldn't say that this is drinkable right now. I was glad I wasn't drinking the whole bomber. It's an interesting experience fresh, but when I revisit this one after some aging, I would bet the numbers will rise. It's definitely a super fresh beer right now, so beware.

02-02-2008 19:39:48 | More by biking4beer
johnmichaelsen

Oregon

3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

Had this on tap at Mahaffey's last night.

The beer pours a brownish toffee flavor with good head retention and lacing. I don't get a lot on the nose, just some sweet malt with some underlying hoppy bitterness. I had a hard time with this beer on the palate, and I really think it needs more time to come together. The beer shows a huge marriage of hops and malt, with the hoppy bitterness winning the day. The beer comes across as quite dry for a barley wine, and at present I thought the abv. was entirely too noticeable. I ultimately couldn't finish my 10 ounce glass of beer, as the high abv. finally just wore me out.

This beer reminds of certain wines that are either too tannic or just closed up. That's what I thought of this beer... the flavor profile is a bit closed right now; I'm sure in a couple of years it'll turn into something sublime. For now it just isn't a very enjoyable beer to drink, though I think that will change over time. Oh well...

02-02-2008 18:38:56 | More by johnmichaelsen
BlindPig

3.6/5  rDev -12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A- Pretty clear amber orange body with a nice thick light creamy tan head.
S- Big orange and grapefruit hops with a nice balance of sweet caramel body and a splash of alcohol. Almost a pineapple hint in there also. Seems like it's stronger on the light fruits than previous years.
T- Very different than the previous years of OG (and not to sure if it's for the better). Sweet caramel, booze, citrus hops, fruits, almost a grapefruit banana mixture? Little blend of some darker fruits in there too. Big bitterness left in the aftertaste and a little warming in back of throat.
M-Full chewy body with low smooth carbonation.
D- This is usually one of my favorite releases in the year especially since it's cheap for what it is so I can drink more of them. This seems a lot brighter than previous years and just doesn't have that Old Guardian flavor to it. The aftertaste still stays true to OG though. The thing it reminds me of the most is if you made a really strong OG and mixed it with a little left over VE 07 you get this. Kind of a disappointment this year, but we shall see what time will do to this one.

02-02-2008 07:24:50 | More by BlindPig
Wildman

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

This year's version poured a clear medium amber color and formed a nice off white foamy head that coated the glass with lace as it subsided. A small amount of carbonation is present. An aroma of malt, pine and caramel. The flavor was of malt, caramel, grapefruit and and pine. The body was medium and creamy. The finish was slightly bitter. I found this year's batch to be less raw than previous years, although I imagine aging would definately refine it.

02-02-2008 03:04:09 | More by Wildman
flexabull

4.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I am so glad that the local liquor store is carrying the Stone Special Releases. And a $4.50 a bottle? The price is right too, especially for such a wonderful bottle of beer.

Beer pours a dark clear amber color, with a very nice white head on top.

Aromas are potent, but very pleasant to sniff. Fruits stewed in booze, bright, sweet, and tea like, with a citrus hop note as well.

First sip, this definitely tastes different than the 07 fresh. Lots of boozy flavors, not overpowering though. Oak like, with stewed dark fruit flavors, and a crisp caramel malt flavor. Finish is earthy, with sharp pine and citrus like hop bitterness. I really like this now, but I'll be interested to taste this again in a year or so.

Mouthfeel is great. Thick, full, with a nice warmth feel to it.

Drinkability is good. But this is a monster of a beer. Seems a bit more refined than last years, but no less tasty. Well worth a try, I think I will pick up a couple more bottles before this is all gone...

02-02-2008 01:36:47 | More by flexabull
Overlord

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

In a recent forum thread someone mentioned that Stone wasn't mixing up the Old Guardian recipes from year to year. Really? I've had an 08, 07, 06, and an 04 in the last few months, and I could swear they were more different than mere age could account for

Pours a burnished orange with a gorgeous cascading pour and an inch or two of white head that vanishes pretty quickly. Smells of malt and pine. Nice combination.

Taste is unusually grapefruity and pine-y for a Barleywine. If you gave this to me blindfolded my first guess would be this would be a fairly raw DIPA. I found the grapefruit hops delicious and quite balancing for the sweet malty base. Is that tropical fruit in here? I swear that hasn't been in the previous editions.

I'm enjoying this beer much more than the other vintages. Whether because it's fresh, or because it's a different recipe, I'm not sure. I might have to do a vertical tasting at some point.

01-31-2008 07:41:53 | More by Overlord
Halcyondays

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

22 oz. bottle, bought today - 1/27/08, at the BevMo in Cypress, CA,

A: Pours a dark orange, with a full white head, which has good retention and leaves excellent sticky lacing.

S: The nose is kind of lacking, but I do get a nice brush of pine if I really stick my nose into it.

T: Very flavourful. Malty at first, a toasted biscuit quality, the hop attack starts, though it is not as forceful and raw as I remember it being last year. Full pine, pink grapefruit, and pineapple/tropical fruit are the main hop flavours in this barleywine.

M: Thick and rich, resiny and oily, highly alcoholic, but hidden fairly well, but it definitely has a bite, very crisp at the end.

D: This is a barleywine that I certainly enjoy both fresh and raw and aged, it'll be interesting to see how this beer changes over time, though it is very good right now.

01-28-2008 07:55:51 | More by Halcyondays
MiguelMandingo

4.45/5  rDev +8.8%

This is the first bottle of OG that I have sampled. Thanks to Joey from South Bay for his online services. Thanks man, I appreciate it.

Poured part of a bomber into an OG glass.

Appearance - This is a good looking beer. It produced a two finger latte foam head that slowly dissipated to a thin crown. It left quite a bit of lacing on the way down. There were constant bubble streams that rose from the side of the glass. It is a hazy transparent honey orange gold color. Yummy.

Smell - The smell was good, but slightly subdued. I could primarily smell caramel and booze. There was a flowery hop scent that was closely tied to the booze - it was very slight, but it had notes of citrus and pine.

Taste - This is a tasty barleywine. Other people have compared other vintages to a barleywine/IPA mix, and this vintage isn't too far off. It was a tasty well-hopped barleywine. There are notes of orange, lemon and mostly grapefruit citrus, with hints of pine and cherry. It is quite boozy, though it suits the flavor nicely. There is a caramel flavor as well which balances nicely with the booze and hop level.

Mouthfeel - I love the mouthfeel on this one. It has a medium/full body, with the perfect level of carbonation, IMO. It isn't quite effervescent, but it is lively enough to cut through the relatively thick body. It is slightly oily and sticky.

Drinkability - This barleywine is extremely drinkable. It took me awhile to finish the bottle by myself, but it's tasty, smells good, and feels great going down, I really just wanted to savor it. I am glad I picked up several bottles. I could see how this would age well, but the hops are so tasty, I am not sure if I would want to cellar it that long. It is a must try.

A great beer from one of my favorite breweries.

01-27-2008 23:24:38 | More by MiguelMandingo
HimerMan

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

Just picked this up at Oak Tree in NJ and tried it that night at a great temperature, never in the fridge.

Very nice amber/red/golden hue with a generous head that is a sticky off-white cappuccino-esque froth.

The aroma is immediately a nice blend of hops and a sweet malt, which was very refreshing to smell. This is the first time I had one of these so fresh, so I would imagine that this would dramatically change as the beer ages.

Great flavors. A rich barleywine that is beyond an IPA with its huge malt backbone and a caramel flavor that can't be missed.

This feels a bit thinner than the ones I've had in the past, however, I note that this was fresh and I typically prefer these to be aged for a few years.

I look forward to trying these over the next several years, and I would suggest buying 6-12 of them to add to the cellar. They age phenomenally well and will become mellowed as they get 3-5 years on them.

Definitely enjoy these out of a snifter, a nice red wine glass, or if you have them - the Old Guardian glass from Stone!

Cheers.

01-27-2008 16:32:10 | More by HimerMan
« first ‹ prev | 201-225 | 226-250 | 251-275  | next › last »
Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2008 from Stone Brewing Co.