Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Reviews: 3,059 | Hads: 10,669
Reviews by rickyleepotts:
4.19/5  rDev -2.1%

A few weeks ago, Jake asked me, “Have you ever had the Stone Ruination IPA?” I hadn’t. So I went to the liquor store and bought a bottle. I got home to find there was already a bottle in the fridge! It was one of our 1001 bottles. So I opened that one, and stuck the one I bought in the fridge for a later date. That date… that is today! So let’s focus is on what this hop-filled beer has to offer.

In the Glass: In the glass, it is hazy and has a typical wheat look to it. Most IPAs that I drink are fairly clear, where you can see the bubbles rushing to the top. Last night I had a double IPA that was like that. It has a thick white head, but a thin fading lace. The head makes me think this beer will have a ton of flavor and a good mouthfeel.

Nose: This smells like a bag of hops. I LOVE a good hoppy beer, and this one promises to deliver. The hops are just unreal, and there is a subtle floral note peaking through there. But the hops are just overwhelming on the nose. I like it!

Flavor: This is a GREAT beer. I love a good IPA, but when you make it a double… bottoms up. I sometimes like the overwhelming hop flavors, but this beer doesn’t have that. There are more hops on the nose than on the palate. It is cool, calm, and collected and that makes this double IPA drinkable. Almost too drinkable. The flavor doesn’t really hit your tongue until you have swallowed, but you get a bunch of flavors on the back of the palate as well.

Mouthfeel: There isn’t much mouthfeel at first, then you get hit with what feels like bubbles from the carbonation. I think that is just the thick creamy head that I was talking about earlier. Then, as you swallow, the flavors start to become pronounced and you begin to experience the imperial IPA piece of this beer. This isn’t your average double IPA. The recipe they used has a cool story, and I just love the way this beer slides down the throat. It’s not a typical IPA, but it doesn’t need to be!

Aftertaste: The aftertaste takes a few seconds to kick in, but when it does… I welcome it. The dryness from the hops kicks things off, and then you get a smooth almost bittersweet taste that settles on the back of the throat. There is a little heat too, which is weird since this beer only has a 7.7% ABV. But maybe the heat is coming from something else. The aftertaste doesn’t last long, but the burn brings all of those flavors (especially the hops) back to the surface.

This is a good beer, available in bombers, and is readily available all over the Midwest. Stone has done it again! Bottoms up, people!

Stone Ruination IPA - The bottle says: “Ruination - The act of ruining or the condition of being rued; a severe state of damage; destruction achieved by wrecking”

“Stone Ruination IPA. So called because of the immediate ruinous effect on your palate. The moment after the first swallow, all other food and drink items suddenly become substantially more bland then they were just seconds before. By the time you develop a taste for this IPA, you may find that you are permanently ruined from being able to enjoy lesser brews. Good. We freely admit to doing this. On purpose even! People are sometimes crazy enough to thank us for this assault. To which we reply, “You’re welcome.”

“Out of the smoldering ashes of the Stone Anniversary IPAs, the Ruination IPA is born. Rising like the phoenix comes this over-hopped jewel, bringing with it not the acrid sting of smoldering embers, but the abundantly pungent aroma of hops. Bountiful hops. Glorious hops. If you are not already a confirmed hop head; if you have not already converted your palate to the glory of righteous joy that the miraculous little green flower brings to the senses, then this is NOT the place to start, for it will bring you nothing but shock. All its richly layered subtleties will be for naught. Intense hop character will only be perceived as binding and blinding bitterness. Does the experienced hop lover perceive this in a different way? Well, yes and no. The matriculated imbiber is not numb to the rambunctious rich of bitterness - indeed that is a major element of the allure - however they are also able to look beyond to the well spoken yet understated male presence. The aromatic alcohol tones. The swirling meld of naturally occurring complex flavor compounds courtesy of our little friends known as “brewers yeast cells”. God bless the yeast, the malt, and the HOPS!”

“100+ IBU’s (International Bitterness Units)”

Appearance – The Ruination pours a gorgeous orange color with a terrific head that laced the heck out of my Ruination (what else?) glass on a modest pour. This one is thick through and through. I could stare at this all night if I didn’t want to drink it so bad.

Smell – This one has a big, complex hop profile. I can pick up everything from nice floral notes to big citrus to very smooth pine resin. There’s also a good malty sweetness that gives this Double IPA an incredibly full bouquet. It’s balanced but assertive in its style. The aroma announces the above-standard qualities of this ale.

Taste – This is very distinctive. It’s big and complex with a huge hop flavor that screams, “quality ingredients,” mixed reasonably with some very attractive malts and a good caramel sweetness for balance. It is perfectly executed for the style and demands attention by the thoughtful beer drinker.

This is like a full course meal with different flavors all around but that satisfies in the end. The hops are very floral and mixed with a pinch of table sugar and a six-inch grapefruit wedge. You can learn a lot from this beer.

Mouthfeel – There’s just enough carbonation to make this one entertaining. It is full in the mouth and incredibly smooth. It’s thick and chewy just like an American Double IPA should be.

Drinkability – My body loves this as it does oxygen. This brew is awesome. You don’t want to drink it with any food because it’s so filling and so flavorful.

Update – This is a staple in my house, so I thought that I’d re-review it with a batch from 2004. Is it still a perfect 5? Even after a bottle or two a week of this stuff it’s still perfect and I still haven’t found a better IPA.

3.96/5  rDev -7.5%

Absolutely gorgeous colored beer. Soft orange and slight golden hue. Light lacing with nice tiny bubbles streaming from the top.

Aroma is quite forward with the hop citrus and floral notes. Definitely heavy in the hop department just based on the nose. Some nice under-ripe lemon and grapefruit rind on the nose as well. Slight pine aroma.

Taste isn’t as great as I would have thought. Still their best IPA is Enjoy by. This beer just doesn’t live up to it. It is full of hops, so if that’s what you are going for then this may do it for you. It’s not all that well-balanced. Immediately your mouth is coated in a thick-bitter hop taste. You get some nice citrus notes near the middle and some slight pine, but these true beautiful flavors are short lived. The end flavor is just a harsh un-wanted bitterness that lingers and stays for too long. It prevents the next sip from fully being experienced due to this. I like bitter IPA’s, but I don’t like harsh IPA’s. This one doesn’t allow the citrus to play through, nor does it have the malt to cut back the bitterness to make the beer enjoyable while drinking. It tastes thick and bitter. Not my idea of a great IPA… their Enjoy By is what they should stick to!

Overall, this isn’t worth the time. Not well-balanced and just too harsh in terms of bitterness. The beer gets thick and overcoats the palate. The beautiful citrusy nose isn’t allowed to shine… Bummer. This really doesn’t pair too well with that many foods, but If I was to pair food with this beer, I would have to go with a spicy bowl of ramen. The spiciness will help compete with the level of bitterness of this beer. I give it a 79/100.

4.34/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From 12/16/14 - from 12.oz bottle into Bordeaux glass. 8 weeks before enjoy by date.

“The first step in knowing that you’re a hop-head is admitting that you are a hop-head”, - Anonymous.

When I look back at the past 7 years of being a craft enthusiast, there exists a half-dozen brews that I can credit to being my gateway into the hobby. However, it was my love for Ruination that helped me realize I was all in. RIP my beautiful nectar.

4.21/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a soft yellow-amber color with a bit of opaque haziness in the middle of the glass. The slightly less-than-white head looked very foamy and stayed on top of the brew all the way down. The lacing was magnificent - truly amazing.

The nose is just as advertised - FULL of hops. Hops, pines, and hop oils crowd your nose and send your nostrils on quite a trip. A hefty dose of citrus creeps up from the back as well. Very aromatic and perfume-like, just what you expect from a top of the line IPA. Walk through a field of pine trees. Stick your nose into a rose bush.

The taste jumps up and runs a goddamn number on your palate. Hops, hops, hops, and more hops. The hops have a huge pine taste surrounding them, kind of like drinking a liquid tree. Earthy and floral flavors also come out, especially as the beer warms. Grapefruit is noticeable, as are other citrus fruits, perhaps pineapple and orange zest being the best description.

The combo of the wet and pungent citrus rinds and the oily, hoppy bitterness assault is surely a palate destroyer, but in the best way possible. The tongue is left with a bit of hop bitterness and a touch of saltiness that keeps you thirsty for more. Medium-thick body with a sticky mouth-feel. The alcohol doesn't go unnoticed, but it doesn't hinder, either; it provides a nice, solid body that ties everything together.

Probably the best tongue-scrapingly-bitter DIPA that you can get almost anywhere. If you haven't had this beer, I suggest that you try to find it. Be prepared to take a few days off from drinking after you have this one, you'll taste nothing but hops for a while.

3.96/5  rDev -7.5%

A: Pours a slightly murky, golden-orange into an oversized wine glass. Its one-finger head is pure white and leaves some wild sticky lacing on the sides of the glass. There is a dancing man contained in said lacing.

S: I mostly smell bitter citrus notes, some lemon peel and really bitter grapefruit. A decent amount of dry biscuit mingles with the hop aromas and a hint of pine complements the citrusy hop smells. There is not much balance to this aroma; the semi-sweet, caramel malt backbone that I crave in an IPA is absent. I think this absence leads to a bit of a transparent, watery smell.

T: An alpha acid hop-drop kick to the tongue is pretty much how I would describe the Ruination IPA. The lemon peel and bitter grapefruit aromas translate almost perfectly to the taste, but as the palate warms to the flavor, some sweeter orange and tangerine notes emerge. This is a pleasant surprise, as I was thinking my tongue would just be abused throughout the duration of my tasting experience. That said, this beer is a little light on an appropriate malt balance.

M: Relatively light bodied in the mouth, but with a killer hop backbeat on my taste buds, like a Steve Gadd/hop love-child. My brain says that I should crave a fuller malt balance from the mouthfeel, but my hop loving mouth says "nah, man, just let the bitterness dominate me. It's cool."

D: Pri-tay goood. I will have another in the future, but I do think the price tag is a quite steep at $3 plus per bottle. That is a little silly.

4.79/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A level of bitterness to satisfy just about any hophead. I'll take this one whenever I can get it. I've found its best in a bomber. For some reason, in a 12oz, it doesn't have quite the effect or consistancy from my experience, but I suppose it could have been sitting on the shelf longer. The look is almost terrifying as the taste. The descriptions on the back of all Stone bottles is half worth the cost...I'm starting to wonder if they really are written by demons...

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear honey colored body with a nice fluffy head and plenty of lacing

Smell: Perfumed hoppy aroma; sweet grapefruit

Taste: Starts with a toasted bready flavor that quickly gives way to some serious bitterness that coats the tongue like a blanket; there is some residual sweetness but the tastebuds just can't handle it due to the IBUs; clear alcoholic warming as the liquid goes down the gullet

Mouthfeel: Thick and syrupy with good levels of carbonation

Drinkability: Nowhere near as drinkable in quantity as the Stone IPA, this is a brewing achievement on the extreme level; just not something I want a lot of

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Yellow gold body; thick, chunky white head; large bubble carbonation. Fresh hop aroma; piney; grassy. Bread crust hint with a bold, robust hop bitterness. Oily, resinous feel; medium body; dry finish.

A deep, earthy hop bomb with classic hop varietal bitterness. There is a crisp hop bite that lingers long and slow; very enjoyable as the warm malt sweetness adds some nice counterpoint to the lupulin boldness. A well-developed balance and depth exists throughout and makes for one very satisfying, old school styled hop bomb.

4.57/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Like many, I would have been fine if Ruination 1.0 got to live on alongside 2.0 -- the more great DIPAs, the better. I'll always be thankful for Ruin 1 leading me down a rabbit hole of crushing bittering hops propped up by an herbal, earthy, piney, fruity mix the likes of which few other have captured. Palates may have shifted but Ruin 1 is still an all-time classic.

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Rich orange-amber and lighter than expected. The cream colored head is tinted with a hint of lemon yellow and looks like a thick dollop of whipped cream sitting atop the beer. Glass decoration is very nice. There's a copious amount of sticky lace in sheets and rings.

The nose is a wonderous thing to behold, with loads and loads of pungent, floral, fruity, piney hops. The flavor is wall-to-wall hops, but it isn't as abrasive as expected. A tidal wave of hop flavor hits the taste buds instantly and maintains its intensity through the long, bright, hoppy finish. Flavors include grapefruit, lemon, orange and pine in one glorious, sticky, sweet rush.

There's an undercurrent of malt, but it remains in the background where it belongs. Stone Ruination is definitely bitter, but this brewery has a way of making beer with a massive amount of IBUs seem almost sweet and buttery. Which brings me to...

... the mouthfeel, which is all kinds of wonderful. It's full and rich and silky smooth and heavily creamy and perfect. The alcohol is expertly masked, with no hint on the palate, though it does result in a pleasant warming sensation as the beer is swallowed.

I have to hand it to the boys at Stone once again, this is truly a wonderful beer. Both IPA and Ruination are great, but I'll have to give the nod to the little brother. This DIPA is still a treat and will be a 'go to brew' whenever huge amount of hops are required. Which is most of the time.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours a rich golden color, simple at a glance with nice clarity. Soft thin white head blankets the top for a few moments before drifting to the edges and floating on top like a halo. Rope lacing coats my mug 360 degrees. Hops are direct and powerful in this classic styled IPA. Slightly sweet citrus on the finish. A tasty bitterness never leaves the tongue. The feel is bubbly and tingly on the tongue with a more than moderate amount of dryness on the finish. The alcohol is not as pronounced as I expected considering the 8+ abv. Well done on this quality offering from Stone.

4.12/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours a nice clear golden color with a very sticky head.Whoa what a aroma almost made me sneaze,big piney and zesty hop here no malt aroma to speak of but very appetizing.Taste to be expected was highly hopped to say the least zesty grapefruit and light pine even a slight medicinal note in the finish,.a hop monster I have wanted to try and got exactley what I bargained for here.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

I was worried that I had left this in my cellar too long but damn it still delivers even after 6 months. The pine resin is so damn aromatic and delicious. Butter toast and caramel follow. Rich and creamy, very bitter. Grapefruit enters too. Light on the carbonation, thick bodied. Brilliant orange color. Super drinkable. Super rich. This is just a fantastic brew.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

4.75/5  rDev +11%

3.92/5  rDev -8.4%

A: Cloudy yellow color with a nice white head that settles a little to fast. Some lacings.

S: Smell is very hop forward, but still rather balanced. Lots of hop resins and citric notes. It goes a little perfumy, but not overly so. Hints of pine-needles. However, the hops seem a bit faded and have probably lost some definition since the bottling. The malts get through really well with a nice complementary caramel-like sweetness and aromas of white bread.

T: Loads of hop resins and grapefruit in the mouth. But again, the hops seem to be on a downward slope, so I guess this bottle isn't completely fresh. A hint of tobacco and more floral and grassy hop notes. The malty backbone is fresh with a pleasant semi-sweet taste of caramel and white bread. The finish is very very bitter with lots of hop resins and pine-needles. The bitterness actually gets a little overpowering since the hop aromas doesn't seem to hold up.

M: Medium body with a slightly sticky mouthfeel. Refreshing carbonation.

D: A very good DIPA with lots and lots of hops and complex flavors. Despite the massive bitterness in the finish it really manages to come off quite balanced. Too bad I suspect that this bottle was a little old.

3.93/5  rDev -8.2%

Cool, somewhat hazy golden color, with a bone-white head, attractive, big at first, though ultimately short-lived.

Feels like it's dry-hopped. Piney, citrusy. Continues on the tastebuds, bitter, yet sweetish and slightly fruity.

A bit light in body, a tad lacking in the malt's all over, under and thoroughly about the hops (wish I could which ones). Quite an interesting approach, bitter, yeah, but not too much, and still drinkable.

Not Stone's best offering in this style but still worth a try.

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.