Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 10,590 | Reviews: 3,116

Perfect double IPA, just as the gods intended, loads of bitterness, let it warm and it becomes sweet..

Ya know...the name says it all. The text on the bottle about the name really says it all. Between this and Hop Stoopid I dont think any other beer will ever appeal to me. I am truly "Ruined".

Love Love Love this IPA by Stone! Can't ever go wrong with this!!

Weapons grade hop monster

Serving: Tap and Bottle

A: clear golden in color with a medium white head
S: Grapefruit, Tropical Fruits, Pine, Resin, and Lemon Zest
T: Follows the Nose, with a malty finish
M: Smooth with a medium body and low carbonation
O: Fantastic Beer! Time to get more...

this is perfection in a glass

Let's put it this way:

This IPA is phenomenal.

The 10th anniversary edition is spectacular as well, if not more perfect.

The bottle design is nice, rough, and gritty. That makes for good grip and great looks.

This is one beer that I'd legitimately say, the hoppier the better.

Love life,
I am a Sea Creature (look it up)

No question, it's hoppy, but in the perfect way.
If you don't like bitter beers then it's probably not for you, but it is worth a try to see if you would enjoy it. It could be your gateway to the wonderful world of hops up on hops.

Stone has sort of made themselves famous for their use of hops and it truly shows.
The smell is not offensive, rather a bit sweet and enticing.
The carbonation is just right.
The flavor is very balanced.

delicious absolutely delicious.

I have been drinking this regularly and is a fav & go to. Visited World of Beer in Columbus, Ohio after it opened and requested it be mixed with Left Hand Milk Stout NITRO. Was an amazing mix, and hope I can get one more before I have to leave town.

* The stout mellows out the bitterness of the Ruination but, if your a real hop head it still has enough bite. I'm not a huge fan of stouts but, this mix has greatly opened my taste...

A: poured a hazy copper color with a 2 finger head that dissipates pretty quick but leaves nice lacing.

S: very bold hop smell, citrus pine is overwhelmingly awesome. This smells just like a bag of freshly opened brewing hops

T: slight malty carmel taste that is overtaken with the hoppy bitterness when it hits the taste buds in the back of the mouth, alcohol is almost completely hidden, very floral aftertaste that stays with you a while. Not balanced but doesn't matter when the taste is so rewarding

M: perfect amount of carbonation, not as carbonated as some but more than others, with such a wild flavor it is quite clean and refreshing

O: after a few years of drinking IPAs and pursuing hoppier brews the more I drink them, I feel that I stumbled upon this one at the perfect time. As the bottle says, this shouldn't be someone's 1st IPA, or they'll likely hate it. This is an amazing beer that uses hops to their fullest!

Poured from 22oz bottle into tall , wide pilsner glass.

A...pours a clear, deep yellow with a perfectly white 2 finger head.

S...lots of pine right up front with some citrus behind it. Smells great.

T...HOPS! If you were to eat pot, I think this is what it might taste like. Very hoppy, bold flavor that cuts out quick with such bitterness giving way to a malt backbone. Not really balanced, more like you get to taste the individual flavors of the beer one at a time. Citrus and bitter hops most present.

M...perfect amount of carbonation. Couldn't be better.

O...this really lived up to the hype. I was worried that I would be dissapointed because I expected too much. I was wrong. This is a perfect example of what an IPA should be. High quality, great flavor. All around great beer. I will look forward to my next Ruination.

A perfect score is not something to be given indiscriminately. Despite attempts to be overscrupulous in my critique, despite perusing critical comments by BeerAdvocate reviewers whom I admire, I failed to find an imperfection in this hop-focused beer. Yes, in the final analysis, Ruination IPA deserves each of the five perfect scores that I gave it.

The beautiful hazy golden body of Stone Brewery's Ruination IPA supports the kind of thick, frothy head that one frequently hopes for but almost never finds. The viscosity and cling of this head are enough to put most beers to shame. Indeed, it stuck around so long that I lost hope it would ever fall. And so I pressed the glass to my lips, and took my first sip of hoppy glory.

But before I took my first sip, I made sure to take in a few a deep breaths of this beer's bouquet, which comprises floral, citrusy, piney, and resinous fragrances. The absolutely clean aroma of American floral hops (Centennial and Columbus) fills my olfactory organs. Malts are barely detectable, as they should be.

The taste of this beer is even more balanced than I expected. The American bittering and aroma hops are showcased, of course, and there is just enough malt to provide some sweetness. But the hops' aromas are not at all muddled, nor is are their bitter qualities overpowering. The flavor of this beer is not only balanced, but utterly clean. There are no indiscernible flavors here. Both the aroma and flavor of the beer make me feel as if I were sticking my nose in a sack of fresh hops and taking a few deep breaths. So fresh, so floral, so pleasing...

The hazy appearance of the beer indicated that this is an unfiltered beer. Thank goodness, because the yeast has produced a rich, buttery flavor that pairs deliciously with the hoppy bouquet. The floral tastes of alcohol become palpable as the brew warms, and pick up and accentuate the hops' floral and citrusy flavors. The beautiful pairing of floral and creamy, buttery flavors reminds me of the way that boiled fresh milk and aromatic spices (e.g., cardamom, ginger, and tea leaf) divinely complement each other in a well-made cup of chai. Like a well-made cup of chai, Stone Ruination IPA offers up each of its strong flavors both distinctly and as complements to each other. It is rare indeed to come across a beer whose flavor is at once intense, sophisticated, rich, and clean.

The viscous froth that I observed in the head reemerges each time I swirl the beer around my tongue. It's a perfect complement to the beer's buttery, rich body and flavors.

Stone tells us that "Ruination IPA" is so named because of its ruinous effect on the palate. I grant that the intensity of the beer's taste may "ruin" a few neophyte palates. But it is difficult to imagine how sophisticated beer drinkers could consider this beer's fresh, floral taste as anything but refreshing, restorative and rejuvenating.

But perhaps there is one sense in which "ruination" is an appropriate designation. This brew is indeed likely to "ruin" one's taste for other American Double- or Imperial- India Pale Ales. I have had hundreds of beers in this style. This one is a cut above the rest. First class.

Tip: First relish the hoppy glory that is Ruination IPA without accompaniments. Then, try snacking on some dried fruits as you sip the beer. Dates, dark raisins, and currants make excellent pairings.

Poured from a bomber at about room temperature.

A - Pours nice 2 finger head with some lace finish. A very nice golden orange.

S - A beautiful hop aroma of mango and grapefruit. some nice pine and floral notes.

T - Fantastic. Tons of fruity and piney hops. A light caramel sweetness to balance things out. A great finish with a lasting taste.

M - A well bodied beer with perfect carbonation and refreshing dry finish.

O - This is a World class beer at the pinnacle of it's class. I am totally blessed to be able to enjoy this when ever I want, which will be quite frequent.

Stones "smoked porter" was my favorite of Stone's beers, then i tried Ruination. a double ipa even though it doesn't say it on the bottle, how could a beer with this high of i.b.u.s not be a double! this is my favorite double ipa out there heck this is probably even my favorite ipa period. there is not one thing lacking or wrong with this beer, the PERFECT example of a double ipa. GLORIOUS. very VERY hoppy but still balanced in an amazing way...pours golden yellow with slight haziness and reeks of bitter/sweet hops. immediate shock to the palate with an overabundance of hoppiness yet still as i said perfectly balanced... i cant come close to describing how great this beer is so just TRY IT 4 YOURSELF!

Had on-tap at Brewery Night at Flying Saucer in Raleigh.

I have seen the beer under the IPA and double IPA categories. To me, it did seem like a borderline beer that could easily go under either category. The beer definitely has more hoppiness to it than some normal IPAs. However, the hops did not completely dominate the taste of the beer like some other Double IPAs that I have had. There was a very complex array of tastes that you get in every regular IPA, but it seemed to have that much more flavor to balance well with the hops. That is why, in my opinion, it is probably the best IPA I have ever had. Not to mention, I got a sweet pint glass with it.

I highly recommend this beer, whether it be in a bottle from the store or on-tap at the bar.

I know all 5's are supposed to be rare, but I'm spending one here.

A: Absolutely gorgeous! Pours a completely clear dark amber color; I doubt the Hubble telescope could achieve this kind of clarity. 1.5 Finger white / orange head. Medium / Low carbonation. Amazing lace sheets the pint glass throughout the drink. IMHO this is what beer SHOULD look like.

S: Very floral hops, pineapple, pine, and an underlying biscuity malt presence round out a hop heavy, yet balanced nose, 7.7 abv (as listed on the bottle) is nowhere to be found.

T: Floral upfront, followed by a quick reminder of malt, and then the palate ruining pine and citrus hops seize the taste buds. Malts try to regain some presence in the end with a reminder of fresh, doughy biscuits; but the floral, citrus hops dominate and subdue the tastebuds with a lingering bitter finish that goes on forever. Alcohol presence is only noticed with a slight warming of the belly halfway through.

M: Medium body, though somewhat oily, the carbonation is just enough to scrub the tongue clean for more ruinous hops on the next sip. As mentioned in the taste, the finish goes on and on - pleasant bitterness remains, but not too much. A balanced hop bomb?

O: Hands down one of my favorite beers. Amazingly easy to approach, despite the gargoyle's warning on the back of the bottle, despite the name and reputation. This is a BIG beer in every sense, and it slaps every sense upside the head. It will seize your attention, grab you by the nose and make everything else you taste this evening seem bland in comparison - but it that's the idea, isn't it?

Amazing stuff!

Again, all 5's should be rare, reserved for nectar such as this.

Thanks Stone!!!

ten out of ten. absolutely awesome IPA. SO DAMN GREAT. I do not wanna get into a detailed description right now, so let me just say it is a magical, awesome IPA that I can enjoy time and time again. Thank you. ... I will be enjoying this brew in the near future because, well, it is great. Please, try one now. SO GREAT!

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Beautiful hazy yellow/gold with a light 1 finger white head.

S: Pine, citrus, a complete hop overload! I could smell this from three feet away!

T: Bitter bitter bitter! Glorious citrus flavors that leave you wanting more and this beer provides! Nice malt backing to even the flavor out but hops dominate in this brew.

M: Smooth and a bit dry on the mouth feel but oh so wonderful.

O: This is by far one of my all time favorites. The taste is spectacular and overwhelming. Total sensory overload but in the greatest way possible!

Poured from a 650ml bottle...

Appearance: Beautifully hazy golden orange hue with a fluffy / creamy 1 finger head. The glass is white-walled with lacing.

Smell: My lord, never have I smelled so much hop deliciousness from a beer before. This smell excites with an actual hop 'sweetness'!!

Taste: The taste of a sweet hop essence so smooth and delectable that I can honestly say it's the closest to draft I've ever had from a bottle. Just amazing.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, smooth, hoppy, happy, and just downright filled with the love of brewing. This beer makes a ! and it indicates appreciation for the fine art of brewing.

Overall: The best IPA I've ever had. Hands down. Even if your not a hophead. JUST DO IT! Prosit!!!!

Probably one of the best Imperial IPA's I have ever had.

The appearance was great a nice 2 finger head and beautiful light amber color.

The smell is of hops is deep with a citrus note and slight malt note.

The taste is sweet malt on the tip of the tongue and hops the rest of the way.

Mouthfeel is medium body with a nice level of carbination.

Appearance: The beer pours a gorgeous golden-orange body with a one finger heard. The clarity of this beer is second to none for the style.

Smell: There is an initial explosion of hop bitterness and citrus. This is balanced by an underlying aroma of sweet pine, lemon juice, and fresh flowers. This is what an IPA or Double should smell like.

Taste: The citrus hop bomb hits immediately. This transitions into a grapefruit and orange sweetness on the mid-palate. A freshly baked bready malt flavor can also be detected. The beer finishes with a pine bitterness that lingers forever.

Mouthfeel: It is oily with just enough carbonation to cleanse the palate for another sip of hop heaven. The "feel" makes the fruit flavors and hop bitterness stand out on the tongue. As mentioned above, a dry bitter taste lingers for quite a long time.

Overall: Simply put, this is a hop lovers dream. There should be a picture of this beer under the definition of Double IPA. Kudos to Stone for creating this masterpiece for which all Double IPA's should be judged. By far this is my favorite beer for the style and worth all "5s."

You can smell this as you pour it... It has a very strong grapefruit citrus and a touch of pine in the smell. This is more grapefruity smelling as opposed to the regular Stone IPA which I picked up more citrus and pine on the nose. As soon as you drink it you get a very quick flash of sweetness and then pine sap, tree like bitterness mixed in with that citrusy grapefruit flavor just hits the middle of your tongue and lasts long on the back end of the tongue. Wow... what a beer. This is a more pungent version of their regular IPA.

They have similar tastes but this one comes out with more of a grapefruit smell taste and bitterness but still holds the same citrus pine like character as the regular Stone IPA has. The lasting bitterness can really prove this IPA or double IPA is really the real deal here. When everyone talks about American IPA this should be the very first one they mention. This is a hop bomb but thats not to say theres some malty full body sweetness in there which there is at the very beginning of the sip. You can't even detect the alcohol on this one either because of the pungent hops. This is my favorite bitter IPA of all time.

Stone Ruination IPA
Stone Brewing Co.
Imperial IPA
7.7% ABV
OG?
100+ IBUs
12 oz bottle with an "enjoy by" date of October 19, 2010 poured into a New Belgium snifter

Appearance 5/5
Very clear orange-red; amber when backlit with white light. Big, off-white, persistent head and insanely fantastic lacing.

Aroma 5/5
Very fresh and herbal, intense, hop aroma. Piney and grassy. I can smell it without sticking my nose in it.

Taste 5/5
Starts bitter, finishes bitter; or as BJCP says, absurdly bitter. There's a decent malt backbone, but I must say that it's just a backbone: no sweetness can be perceived when the beer is cold and it's tough to let it warm (see Drinkability). But for the sake of review, I let another bottle warm up, and the hop flavor, combined with the malts renders a fruity character before the finish. But this beer is not about malt character at all. It's all it claims to be! A dry and bittering finish, with notable warming; not just mouth (tongue, teeth, even lips), even my throat is bitter. The best kind of bitter, that could have gotten annoying, which brings us to the next item.

Mouthfeel 5/5
Hard to say whether it's an IPA or a DIPA, on the basis of mouthfeel alone but this won't deter me from giving this one the best score. The body is spot on, less than this could have made this an annoying experiment. Well carbonated and crisp, but not harsh.

Drinkability 5/5
Supreme. Nobody can have just one*
*Talking about those who can have one in the first place.

Other
Indeed a liquid poem to the glory of the hop. Had been waiting to get a fresh bottle to review and I have to say, it doesn't get better.

I loved the IPA so when I hear the Ruination IPA was not only with more hop flavor but at 6.99 a bomber at the Monroeville Giant Eagle it was mine that day.

A - Slight haze amber with incredible head and lacing. Lovely.

S - Big hops smell. Smells of strong pine, citrus and grapefruit. Little or no malt smell to speak of.

T - Very hoppy just not as bitter as the Hop Stoopid which I found to be perfect. Flavors are not only balance but refreshing. Very little malt so you have to be careful of your tolerance to bitter beers which I assume is high for me.

M - The label kind of scared me as a palate ruin but I found it opening my evening last beer to a couple other IPA's.

D - Well if I was in the Monroeville area I would have no problem getting another bomber. They were selling the same bombers at D's for 11 dollars which was ridiculous. For the price defiantly worth the brew.

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.