Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,061 | Hads: 10,697

Appearance – The Ruination pours a gorgeous orange color with a terrific head that laced the heck out of my Ruination (what else?) glass on a modest pour. This one is thick through and through. I could stare at this all night if I didn’t want to drink it so bad.

Smell – This one has a big, complex hop profile. I can pick up everything from nice floral notes to big citrus to very smooth pine resin. There’s also a good malty sweetness that gives this Double IPA an incredibly full bouquet. It’s balanced but assertive in its style. The aroma announces the above-standard qualities of this ale.

Taste – This is very distinctive. It’s big and complex with a huge hop flavor that screams, “quality ingredients,” mixed reasonably with some very attractive malts and a good caramel sweetness for balance. It is perfectly executed for the style and demands attention by the thoughtful beer drinker.

This is like a full course meal with different flavors all around but that satisfies in the end. The hops are very floral and mixed with a pinch of table sugar and a six-inch grapefruit wedge. You can learn a lot from this beer.

Mouthfeel – There’s just enough carbonation to make this one entertaining. It is full in the mouth and incredibly smooth. It’s thick and chewy just like an American Double IPA should be.

Drinkability – My body loves this as it does oxygen. This brew is awesome. You don’t want to drink it with any food because it’s so filling and so flavorful.

Update – This is a staple in my house, so I thought that I’d re-review it with a batch from 2004. Is it still a perfect 5? Even after a bottle or two a week of this stuff it’s still perfect and I still haven’t found a better IPA.

Poured from a 650ml bottle...

Appearance: Beautifully hazy golden orange hue with a fluffy / creamy 1 finger head. The glass is white-walled with lacing.

Smell: My lord, never have I smelled so much hop deliciousness from a beer before. This smell excites with an actual hop 'sweetness'!!

Taste: The taste of a sweet hop essence so smooth and delectable that I can honestly say it's the closest to draft I've ever had from a bottle. Just amazing.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, smooth, hoppy, happy, and just downright filled with the love of brewing. This beer makes a ! and it indicates appreciation for the fine art of brewing.

Overall: The best IPA I've ever had. Hands down. Even if your not a hophead. JUST DO IT! Prosit!!!!

At Trenton Road Takeout and The Hulmeville Inn, this masterful beer is constantly is cold supply of bottles. As the label implies, if you think it tastes bad, you clearly are not worthy of this liquid poem to the glory of the hop! Ruination is not only a beverage worthy of kings, but an elixir of true palatable flavor and distinguishable magnificence. If you do not like Ruination when you first try it, it is because you are a fizzy- yellow beer drinking wimp. Man up, drink Stone, or stay sober.

Appearance: The beer pours a gorgeous golden-orange body with a one finger heard. The clarity of this beer is second to none for the style.

Smell: There is an initial explosion of hop bitterness and citrus. This is balanced by an underlying aroma of sweet pine, lemon juice, and fresh flowers. This is what an IPA or Double should smell like.

Taste: The citrus hop bomb hits immediately. This transitions into a grapefruit and orange sweetness on the mid-palate. A freshly baked bready malt flavor can also be detected. The beer finishes with a pine bitterness that lingers forever.

Mouthfeel: It is oily with just enough carbonation to cleanse the palate for another sip of hop heaven. The "feel" makes the fruit flavors and hop bitterness stand out on the tongue. As mentioned above, a dry bitter taste lingers for quite a long time.

Overall: Simply put, this is a hop lovers dream. There should be a picture of this beer under the definition of Double IPA. Kudos to Stone for creating this masterpiece for which all Double IPA's should be judged. By far this is my favorite beer for the style and worth all "5s."

I loved the IPA so when I hear the Ruination IPA was not only with more hop flavor but at 6.99 a bomber at the Monroeville Giant Eagle it was mine that day.

A - Slight haze amber with incredible head and lacing. Lovely.

S - Big hops smell. Smells of strong pine, citrus and grapefruit. Little or no malt smell to speak of.

T - Very hoppy just not as bitter as the Hop Stoopid which I found to be perfect. Flavors are not only balance but refreshing. Very little malt so you have to be careful of your tolerance to bitter beers which I assume is high for me.

M - The label kind of scared me as a palate ruin but I found it opening my evening last beer to a couple other IPA's.

D - Well if I was in the Monroeville area I would have no problem getting another bomber. They were selling the same bombers at D's for 11 dollars which was ridiculous. For the price defiantly worth the brew.

Serving: Tap and Bottle

A: clear golden in color with a medium white head
S: Grapefruit, Tropical Fruits, Pine, Resin, and Lemon Zest
T: Follows the Nose, with a malty finish
M: Smooth with a medium body and low carbonation
O: Fantastic Beer! Time to get more...

I have been drinking this regularly and is a fav & go to. Visited World of Beer in Columbus, Ohio after it opened and requested it be mixed with Left Hand Milk Stout NITRO. Was an amazing mix, and hope I can get one more before I have to leave town.

* The stout mellows out the bitterness of the Ruination but, if your a real hop head it still has enough bite. I'm not a huge fan of stouts but, this mix has greatly opened my taste...

This brew changed my life. Bought a bottle blind, took it camping with my GF, chilled it all day until we hit the campsite. Started building a fire and remembered I had it chilling. Poured it into a glass, took a sip and swooned! She grabbed the glass from me, tasted it and asked me what was I going to drink! After that first taste it was a no-brainer...had to get more. So sad that they retired it and reformulated the Ruination. Ive had the reformulated and I prefer the original.

You can smell this as you pour it... It has a very strong grapefruit citrus and a touch of pine in the smell. This is more grapefruity smelling as opposed to the regular Stone IPA which I picked up more citrus and pine on the nose. As soon as you drink it you get a very quick flash of sweetness and then pine sap, tree like bitterness mixed in with that citrusy grapefruit flavor just hits the middle of your tongue and lasts long on the back end of the tongue. Wow... what a beer. This is a more pungent version of their regular IPA.

They have similar tastes but this one comes out with more of a grapefruit smell taste and bitterness but still holds the same citrus pine like character as the regular Stone IPA has. The lasting bitterness can really prove this IPA or double IPA is really the real deal here. When everyone talks about American IPA this should be the very first one they mention. This is a hop bomb but thats not to say theres some malty full body sweetness in there which there is at the very beginning of the sip. You can't even detect the alcohol on this one either because of the pungent hops. This is my favorite bitter IPA of all time.

I know all 5's are supposed to be rare, but I'm spending one here.

A: Absolutely gorgeous! Pours a completely clear dark amber color; I doubt the Hubble telescope could achieve this kind of clarity. 1.5 Finger white / orange head. Medium / Low carbonation. Amazing lace sheets the pint glass throughout the drink. IMHO this is what beer SHOULD look like.

S: Very floral hops, pineapple, pine, and an underlying biscuity malt presence round out a hop heavy, yet balanced nose, 7.7 abv (as listed on the bottle) is nowhere to be found.

T: Floral upfront, followed by a quick reminder of malt, and then the palate ruining pine and citrus hops seize the taste buds. Malts try to regain some presence in the end with a reminder of fresh, doughy biscuits; but the floral, citrus hops dominate and subdue the tastebuds with a lingering bitter finish that goes on forever. Alcohol presence is only noticed with a slight warming of the belly halfway through.

M: Medium body, though somewhat oily, the carbonation is just enough to scrub the tongue clean for more ruinous hops on the next sip. As mentioned in the taste, the finish goes on and on - pleasant bitterness remains, but not too much. A balanced hop bomb?

O: Hands down one of my favorite beers. Amazingly easy to approach, despite the gargoyle's warning on the back of the bottle, despite the name and reputation. This is a BIG beer in every sense, and it slaps every sense upside the head. It will seize your attention, grab you by the nose and make everything else you taste this evening seem bland in comparison - but it that's the idea, isn't it?

Amazing stuff!

Again, all 5's should be rare, reserved for nectar such as this.

Thanks Stone!!!

22 oz bottle poured in a pint glass with my guitar trying to learn the chords to "Love Burns " - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club . This brew pours a brassy hue and has a delightful 2 finger head after an aggressive pour . Lacing is present and this is one tasty brew . Maybe my fav Stone product . The smell of fruit & hops makes my mouth water . The flavor is so overwhelmingly powerful and great . Balanced bitterness / citrus . My guitar playing is getting better as I drink this - wish it was that easy - . Good brew .

World Class . Fantastic .

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Beautiful hazy yellow/gold with a light 1 finger white head.

S: Pine, citrus, a complete hop overload! I could smell this from three feet away!

T: Bitter bitter bitter! Glorious citrus flavors that leave you wanting more and this beer provides! Nice malt backing to even the flavor out but hops dominate in this brew.

M: Smooth and a bit dry on the mouth feel but oh so wonderful.

O: This is by far one of my all time favorites. The taste is spectacular and overwhelming. Total sensory overload but in the greatest way possible!

Alrightie kiddies, this is it. This is the end of all things beer. I'm so close to giving this beer a five but the lack of a proper head- Then again, it does leave the most delicate lacing on my tulip glass and the bubbles along the side are like soap, and the clearness of the light orangish copper brew are begging me to. It just leaps at you, kind of mysteriously. But must resist because I thought I'd never five a beer. Must resist. Must resist.

There is this wonderfully hoppy aroma, like opening a bag of hops and just inhaling. But it's not harsh like someother hoppy beers, just pleasant and slightly malty with maybe, just maybe the alcohol hinting through. Or is it just the alpha acids reciting their poetry?

The taste. The taste is Mon Dieu. It's like an unholy overtaking of the tongue, assauting it with the hop until beaten into submission and left with the most deliciously bitter tongue known to man. Yeah, the malt is in there somewhere, you can taste it, but the real star is the hop. It's piney, oh is it piney, with a fleeting taste of perhaps oak, not a huge amount of citrus, but this is after all a west coast IPA.

Smooth mouthfeel. I love how Stone has this carbonation that just feels like it's almost not there. It's so non-intrusive. Drinkability. Screw the ABV. I would drink this all night with no regrets. As for the tongue replacement surgery, we'll deal with that later...

The first time I had this last December, I knew after the first sip that I was destined to be a hophead. My brother-in-law and I looked at each other and yelled "Awww, yeaaah!" And it's been too long since I've had this. Here's to Stone and here's to the glory of the Hop. This is truly a miraculous beer. Even my burps taste good!

A: poured a hazy copper color with a 2 finger head that dissipates pretty quick but leaves nice lacing.

S: very bold hop smell, citrus pine is overwhelmingly awesome. This smells just like a bag of freshly opened brewing hops

T: slight malty carmel taste that is overtaken with the hoppy bitterness when it hits the taste buds in the back of the mouth, alcohol is almost completely hidden, very floral aftertaste that stays with you a while. Not balanced but doesn't matter when the taste is so rewarding

M: perfect amount of carbonation, not as carbonated as some but more than others, with such a wild flavor it is quite clean and refreshing

O: after a few years of drinking IPAs and pursuing hoppier brews the more I drink them, I feel that I stumbled upon this one at the perfect time. As the bottle says, this shouldn't be someone's 1st IPA, or they'll likely hate it. This is an amazing beer that uses hops to their fullest!

Let's put it this way:

This IPA is phenomenal.

The 10th anniversary edition is spectacular as well, if not more perfect.

The bottle design is nice, rough, and gritty. That makes for good grip and great looks.

This is one beer that I'd legitimately say, the hoppier the better.

Love life,
I am a Sea Creature (look it up)

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber imto a pint glass.
A- Tons of lacing. Orange hue. Large foamy head.
S- Hops, grass, hops, hops.
T- Heavenly! This beer is hops front and center. The hops linger on your tongue but are nicely balanced with the malts. There is a spectacular hoppy, bitter aftertaste.
M- Great body and tongue tingle.
D- This is one GREAT double IPA. Gold standard would be a good definition.

Poured from 22oz bottle into tall , wide pilsner glass.

A...pours a clear, deep yellow with a perfectly white 2 finger head.

S...lots of pine right up front with some citrus behind it. Smells great.

T...HOPS! If you were to eat pot, I think this is what it might taste like. Very hoppy, bold flavor that cuts out quick with such bitterness giving way to a malt backbone. Not really balanced, more like you get to taste the individual flavors of the beer one at a time. Citrus and bitter hops most present.

M...perfect amount of carbonation. Couldn't be better.

O...this really lived up to the hype. I was worried that I would be dissapointed because I expected too much. I was wrong. This is a perfect example of what an IPA should be. High quality, great flavor. All around great beer. I will look forward to my next Ruination.

22oz. Bottle - Enjoy By Date: 01-13-10, almost made it.

Appearance is a cloudy amber with a nice head.

Smell is piney citrus hop lovelyness.

Taste is a hop dominate bomb, but not as harsh as the 100+ IBU would suggest. Citrus with a doughy finish. Delicious and chewy.

One of these and I was done for the night.
I loved this beer and if you're into hops you will too.

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a stemmed pilsner glass. It's orangish-gold and completely free of haziness, and it has a thick, wonderful white head, with very nice lacing quality.

Aroma is powerfully delicious. Citrusy, piney, hoppy... just what I expected, but amped up.

Upon first sip, I think "wow, this has the incredibly smooth qualities of the regular Stone IPA." Then I wait a few seconds. Suddenly, I taste a waterfall of hops and citrus and pine and bitterness cascading through my mouth. It gets stronger and stronger as the seconds go by. Yet, the bitterness is pleasant and not overbearing. I had a HopDevil before I drank this, which was actually more bitter than this beer. Still, some might find this Ruination IPA experience difficult to handle... I find it to be one of the greatest IPA experiences of my entire life. No, make that THE greatest.

The mouthfeel is weird, but AWESOME. I give it a five because I can actually feel the hop presence getting stronger and stronger AFTER I sip it. There's not really much malt presence that I detected, but who cares... it's a freakin IPA.

Shockingly drinkable for its alcoholic strength and hop potency.
I never thought I'd give a beer straight 5s, but this is a perfect IPA.

A perfect score is not something to be given indiscriminately. Despite attempts to be overscrupulous in my critique, despite perusing critical comments by BeerAdvocate reviewers whom I admire, I failed to find an imperfection in this hop-focused beer. Yes, in the final analysis, Ruination IPA deserves each of the five perfect scores that I gave it.

The beautiful hazy golden body of Stone Brewery's Ruination IPA supports the kind of thick, frothy head that one frequently hopes for but almost never finds. The viscosity and cling of this head are enough to put most beers to shame. Indeed, it stuck around so long that I lost hope it would ever fall. And so I pressed the glass to my lips, and took my first sip of hoppy glory.

But before I took my first sip, I made sure to take in a few a deep breaths of this beer's bouquet, which comprises floral, citrusy, piney, and resinous fragrances. The absolutely clean aroma of American floral hops (Centennial and Columbus) fills my olfactory organs. Malts are barely detectable, as they should be.

The taste of this beer is even more balanced than I expected. The American bittering and aroma hops are showcased, of course, and there is just enough malt to provide some sweetness. But the hops' aromas are not at all muddled, nor is are their bitter qualities overpowering. The flavor of this beer is not only balanced, but utterly clean. There are no indiscernible flavors here. Both the aroma and flavor of the beer make me feel as if I were sticking my nose in a sack of fresh hops and taking a few deep breaths. So fresh, so floral, so pleasing...

The hazy appearance of the beer indicated that this is an unfiltered beer. Thank goodness, because the yeast has produced a rich, buttery flavor that pairs deliciously with the hoppy bouquet. The floral tastes of alcohol become palpable as the brew warms, and pick up and accentuate the hops' floral and citrusy flavors. The beautiful pairing of floral and creamy, buttery flavors reminds me of the way that boiled fresh milk and aromatic spices (e.g., cardamom, ginger, and tea leaf) divinely complement each other in a well-made cup of chai. Like a well-made cup of chai, Stone Ruination IPA offers up each of its strong flavors both distinctly and as complements to each other. It is rare indeed to come across a beer whose flavor is at once intense, sophisticated, rich, and clean.

The viscous froth that I observed in the head reemerges each time I swirl the beer around my tongue. It's a perfect complement to the beer's buttery, rich body and flavors.

Stone tells us that "Ruination IPA" is so named because of its ruinous effect on the palate. I grant that the intensity of the beer's taste may "ruin" a few neophyte palates. But it is difficult to imagine how sophisticated beer drinkers could consider this beer's fresh, floral taste as anything but refreshing, restorative and rejuvenating.

But perhaps there is one sense in which "ruination" is an appropriate designation. This brew is indeed likely to "ruin" one's taste for other American Double- or Imperial- India Pale Ales. I have had hundreds of beers in this style. This one is a cut above the rest. First class.

Tip: First relish the hoppy glory that is Ruination IPA without accompaniments. Then, try snacking on some dried fruits as you sip the beer. Dates, dark raisins, and currants make excellent pairings.

Pours a beautiful gold with a thick foamy head that slowly dissolves.

Smells of hops and grapefruit

Taste is bold and bitter. Very earthy-almost like biting into a bouquet of flowers. I have a garden in my mouth right now and I don't know how it got there.

Mouthfeel is full and carbonated, but with a nice balance.

I can see this becoming a mainstay in my refrigerator. I love this beer just as much, if not more than Arrogant Bastard, and that's saying a lot!

This is a perfect beer for hopheads. It pours a nice orange amber color with a thick foamy off-white head. Aroma is dominated by bitter earthy and citrus hops. Very bitter hoppy flavor that lasts throughout with a perfect malt backbone balance. It is like biting into a plant. One of the bet IPAs(or any other beer) I've ever had.

Poured from a bomber at about room temperature.

A - Pours nice 2 finger head with some lace finish. A very nice golden orange.

S - A beautiful hop aroma of mango and grapefruit. some nice pine and floral notes.

T - Fantastic. Tons of fruity and piney hops. A light caramel sweetness to balance things out. A great finish with a lasting taste.

M - A well bodied beer with perfect carbonation and refreshing dry finish.

O - This is a World class beer at the pinnacle of it's class. I am totally blessed to be able to enjoy this when ever I want, which will be quite frequent.

Ya know...the name says it all. The text on the bottle about the name really says it all. Between this and Hop Stoopid I dont think any other beer will ever appeal to me. I am truly "Ruined".

Golden pour with a thick, billowy head, champagne bubbles, and is that the face of the Baby Jesus I see in there?

Citrus, hops effervescently dancing on my olfactory nodes.

Hoppy, citrusy, tangy, just plain delicious.

Crisp refreshing mouthfeel.

Chug-a-lug, you'll feel it after the first two, POW! Catalina Wine Mixer, POW POW!

What can I say, I effing love this beer. This is the greatest beer ever.

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.