Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

4.82/5  rDev +12.1%

Appearance: Golden-copper with a soft, creamy white head with large bubbles stuck in it at random. Sticky, grabbing lacing. Minimal, but adequate, carbonation.

Smell: Like every IPA you've ever had, all rolled into one. WIth some fresh whole leaf hops thrown into the mix. Loads of spicy citrus, with lemon zest, definite juicy orange, a pine needle blast, and a softer backbone of rich malt.

Taste: I don't mean to sound cocky, but I expected more bitterness. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty to go around, but I just expected more. So much more balanced than I expected, with so much fresh citrus flavor I feel like I've just bitten into a slightly under-ripe orange, peel and all. I've never had a beer this juicy. It reminds me of a much more intense SN Celebration. A slight earthy, funky flavor jumps into the mix for a second, only to be beaten down by more orange-citrus flavor. I can feel my mouth watering as I drink this. Excellent, excellent beer.

4.41/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

This is one badass beer, yo!

This beer is exemplary in every facet of my experience. In fact, I sit here and crave simply thinking about pouring this beer. I poured the beer from a 22oz. bomber bottle into a chilled glass mug. It was like taking it straight from the tap; which happens less often, in my opinion, when pouring from a bottle. It had a kick-ass head that left an intense lacing down the glass and would sustain longer than the life of most beers I’ve ever had. It was a very frothy head (my favorite) that took on a vivid orange hue. I took one smell of it and I thought to myself, “HOPS!” To complement the hops, there were some very citrusy smells to it. At times it I caught hints of a premium tobacco shop. It was intensely aromatic. The taste is a medium body with am almost silky feel in the mouth. The malt seems to complement the hops very well, as it is a very soft malt roast. The third character are the rest of the undertones of piney, citrusy, and woodsy flavors. The alcoholic esters add to the flavor some real pungency. It finishes dry. Overall, this is one of my favorite IPAs (top 10 or so). Its a special beer. Whenever I have the money, I will get this again. Hopefully, I find it on tap in the city (Saint Louis).

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Been working my way through the best of the best of DIPA's. Stone Ruination was next on the list.

A - Pours a nice golden yellow. A good two finger head recedes to leave a nice lacing around the top of the glass.

S - Strong hop scent, not as piney or flowery as one might like.

T - A very good DIPA. Maybe a little more bitter than I typically like but otherwise very well done. Definitely deserves to be in the top tier of IIPA's.

D - Goes down easy, a little aftertaste from the bitterness, but otherwise an all around tasty beer.

M - Good body and carbonation, no complaints here.

I've definitely rank a couple of IPA's higher on my list than this one. Pliny and Green Flash to name two West Coast and Captain Lawrence and Flower Power on the East Coast. This one is easily in the top 10, just not at the very top of the list. Will drink this again.

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked this up at the Liquor Stop in Highland, Indiana after a visit to 3F.

A: Attractive syrupy clear liquid that is golden amber in color. A nice one finger white fluffy head that starts delivering lacing immediately. As the drink progresses, the lacing is spectacular - looks like icicles.

S: Really big, super fresh leafy hops with lemony grapefruit.

T: Nice biting aggressive hop up front. Mellows out an then goes into a piney bitter aftertaste. Really big and really refreshing. Aftertaste is edging toward being too bitter but the ball manages to stay in play. There may be some malt there but it is clearly outranked unlike many of the DIPA's I have had recenty. The "Ruination" of senses is written as tongue-in-cheek marketing on the bottle but I actually felt my oral senses being numbed by this brew. It is definitely a hop assault. Luckily, I'm a hop head and I can appreciate it. Hold the boat! Right toward the last third of the drink when it warmed up, the malt came out and it is a subtler brew but just as impressive. Malt takes away the aggressiveness of the aftertaste but the hops are still big - really nice!

M: Light in body. Nice clean, crisp and well carbonated.

D: The lower ABV and lightness of this beer make it a very easy brew to throw back. It is a nice, clean and refreshing. Love the freshness of the hops. If you are looking to OD on hops, look no further. I have to admit that this is going to go pretty high up on my list of DIPA's.

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.