Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 10,587 | Reviews: 3,115
4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a deep gold with a minimal head and thin lacing after just a bit. The smell: Boom! Hops. Sweet and pungent all at the same time. Every sip of this is milder than I think it ought to be. At 100+ IBUs (as per the label), this is clearly a hoppy beer, but the bitterness does not overwhelm. Rather, the most prominent flavors are the sweet citrusy hop notes. Medium bodied, but with a tangy aftertaste, this one is great, but strong. The 22oz bottle is definitely enough for a sitting.

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Hop bomb in my mouth. My fiance walked in the house and even though I was sitting across the room she could smell this bad boy. There is a strong orange/hop armoa (Yes aroma) that proceeds from this brew crafted by devils. (Ok I am done with the drama).

Gold in color and not only did it retain it's head but when it did lace it was present throughout.

A great beer for those hop heads out there. Sip and thank Stone they make beer like this.

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

Beautiful light golden amber color. [served in my favorite Imperial Nonic) Nice aroma, much like a fistful of hops. Surprisingly balanced between hops and malt. It does NOT overwhelm you with bitterness, might you believe if you consider the name. Very Nice! I have enjoyed EVERY Stone ale I have tried, and this is one of my favorites. Great fullness feeling with every sip. GREAT BEER!

4.62/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very pretty cognac/apple juice orange-brown. develops a fair amount of head even if you pour to avoid it. Looks very good, but not terribly extreme.

Smells of hops, obviously, but expecially of rosewater, lots of pine needles, smoke, citrus rind and occasionally some alcohol. Smells much different than most IPA's, let's you know that you're not in for the regular ride.

Taste also of rosewater, the sour of pine needles and the bitterness of pine pitch, citrus rind. Also some gum sweetness. Reminiscent of sucking on a pine sap, rose hip, grapefruit juice and grapefruit rind shake. Mmmm. Also feels like eating pine pitch...coats the inside of your mouth and leaves the bitterness in the back of your throat. A *slight* maltiness as you swallow.

Mouthfeel is pretty much perfect. Starts out light and gets a little heavier over the back of the tongue. Not too heavy. The carbonation is perfectly balanced. Be warned, it pretty much destroys your sense of taste for quite some time. Not cloying, just absolutely sends your tastebuds into shock.

You could probably drink this all night long, but you wouldn't be able to taste anything past the first one. I don't recommend it, though, since the ABV will get you sideways really fast. Apart from that, though, drinkability is A+.

Finally, it's obvious that the folks at Stone put a lot of effort and careful work into this beer. It really comes through, and it's kind of touching. You can taste it in the beer...this one was *created*, not just brewed.

4.69/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured a rather normal golden honey hue, that was very clear. A nice frothy off-color white head that contained a few large bubbles.

The aroma was o so hoppy, with citrus higlights, and a very crisp nature to it. Tantalized my nostrils.

As the label suggests, my first tatse hit my mouth like a ton of hop bricks. After the intial hop whallop, the taste gave way to some nice roasted malts, then citrus/woody/floral/grassy type tastes fluttered around my tongue.

The mouthfeel is great, it is a very diverse brew, with many different levels. The alcohol is very present, yet smooth and satisfying, not burning at all. It is a pleasure to have the taste linger long after you swallow.

I am a fan of Stone, and I can't believe it took me this long to get around to this brew. But it was worth the wait. Even though it is non sequitor, the labels on the bottles are always a humorous read. It says alot about a brewery who puts in alot of work in every brew, from the actual brewing process right down to the label.

Cheers!

4.12/5  rDev -4.2%

22 oz. bomber at 55 degrees. Pours a slightly hazy sunset orange with a frothy and lasting white head. Just a huge hop nose emminates from the snifter. Orange, grapefruit, crushed pine needles, it’s all right up front, but not much in the way of any malt aromas to be found. A nice round mouthfeel with the subdued carbonation level keeping it silky smooth. Massive hop flavor profile; like biting into a whole grapefruit encrusted in honey and pine needles. Some faint crystal malt sweetness attempts to balance out the big muscle hops. Finishes with a big, bold and crisp bitterness; nice and long. The 7.7% interplays nicely being present just enough to accentuate all the luscious flavors of this classic American IPA.

4.82/5  rDev +12.1%

22oz bomber

Appearance: Dark golden in color with an off white head that is shortly lived leaving tons of lacing.

Smell: Tons of citrus and piney hops. Definitely smells of Stone's IPA. Got to love this smell.

Taste: Tons of big hop taste. I would like to say I could taste something more than the hops kicking the crap out of my taste buds but honestly I can't. I chose this to be my only beer last night and I am glad I did, I doubt I would be able to taste anything after drinking this. All that may sound negative but the taste was really fantastic, if you don't love hops please don't waste this beer.

Mouthfeel: Close to medium body, not a heavy beer but good body for a huge IPA.

Drinkability: While one did me in, it was a monday evening and had it been a weekend I could have handled a few over the course of a day.

Overall I must admit I am a huge Stone fan, they have never disappointed me and this one was another great offering from them. If you dig the hops and like their regular IPA you will certainly like this.

4.46/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one of those beers that I picked up knowing it was going to be good. It came through with flying colors. There is a great copper tone they got out of the malt. The hops were huge on it. It leaves behind a thick shag carpeting of lime green hops on your tongue. For how loud the hops our the finish of the beer is smooth. It leaves a thick malt taste instead of the citrus burn that you get from some strong IPAs. After taking a second glance, the beer taste darker then copper tones lead you to believe. This is the professional of IPAs.

4.31/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a pale straw color with a 2 finger head that disappates quickly. Minimal lacing. Suprizingly looks to be a "fizzy yellow beer" as Stone so eloquently put it.

Aroma is filled with hops, hops HOPS! Citrus hops in particular dominate the nose, with grassy hops bringing up the rear.

Flavor is again dominated by hops. Pine hops show up here, and blend well with the citrus and grassy hops. A simple backbone of honey like sweetness hold it all together. For being as extreme as this beer tastes, everything is surprizingly balanced. End palate is a solid bitter punch that is well expected after the initial hop-onslaught.

Mouthfeel is solid, but drinkability gets docked a point or two. The bittering hops take a toll towards the end of the bottle.

4.34/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks SethB2 for the bomber

Pours a CRYSTAL clear, deep golden/amber color. Poured into a DFH pint glass...Thick eggshell colored head that converts to a fine film on top. Minimal lacing.

I could smell it the second I popped the top. A nice combo of hops, floral notes, citrus, pine, and a noticable sweetness that I cant exactly place...grapefruit maybe...Excellent aroma! Very strong.

Taste: Like getting hit by a speeding hop train. A ton of hops with a nice sweet/sourness that I havent tasted in a IIPA before...Stone never disappoints in the hop department. Very tasty brew...I wish the ABV was a tad higher but this is definately one of the better IIPAs Ive had. Surprisingly light mouthfeel for the style - doesnt feel thick as alot of my favorite IIPAs, but the taste is huge and it goes down really easy. Warming up a bit more sweetness comes through with some tropical-like citrus thing happening...Maybe pineapple!??!!?!? Dry, bitter hop finish, which is how I like em. A great quencher. This badboy begs to be slugged, not sipped.

Drinkability is very high due to the subdued ABV. I could knock back a few of these before I knew it. Stone has done it again - Im a fan of everything hoppy of theirs that I have tried. This is no exception. I only hope that one day soon Stone makes it down to Florida.

This beer is pretty arrogant in its own right. Thumbs UP!

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Clean brassy gold with a thin persistent white head that loosly clings to the glass. Sparce, tiny carbonation. Citrus hop perfume aroma - light, sweet fruits and some very slight toasted malt with just a hint of spicy alcohol. Huge oily hop flower flavor. Sweet citrus pulp over faint malts. Bitter waves of hops...its all about the hops. Full, rich flavor that doesn't stop. Long lasting crushing bitterness - warming, full, and slick yet ultimately dry. Insane and intense yet intriguing.

An absolute assault on the senses. The bottle is practically exploding with hops. Ruinous? I can't feel my tongue. Make this one the last beer of the day.

4.52/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearance is golden amber with a dense white head. Clear but thick. Nice white surface throughout the duration. Aroma of liquid hops, thick sap, fresh pine, and fresh crushed tropical flowers. Juicy sugared grapefruits. Alcohol and candy smells parallel each other. Taste is loaded with hop oils. Candied hops followed by... every other kind of hops with a prolonged bitter dry and sticky finish. Mouthwatatering sour before the bitter dryness. Mouthfeel is thick and sticky. Just the right amount of carbobonation. Every sip needs the right amount of time to reach the finish which slows down the drinking time but doesn't take away form drinkability.

I need to recuperate before I have another beer. Awesome.

4.82/5  rDev +12.1%

Wow I can't even begin to explain how much I love this beer...but I'll try

Served in my Stone Ruination Pilsner glass

A: It pours a beautiful golden red color that has a nice almost white head that leaves very nice lacing. Very pretty beer.

S: Wow before you even taste this you know you're in for a ride the hopps hit your nose like a Mac Truck it also has a nice pine smell to it as well.

T: The important part right? Wow If you dont' like a really hoppy beer don't even bother with this. This is a hop-head's dream, it flows over the tounge with a surge of bitterness, but still ends up really tasty. Wow I can't get over this.

M: I don't hold much weight in this category as long as I can drink it and the taste is good this doesn't matter much. Anyways Not too watery and not too sludgy a nice balance between the two.

D: Seeing as I've only found it in bombers it's a toss up. I do have a huge tolerance for alcohol, but even so one of these gets me warm and two I'm definitely feeling it. Even so it's a very easy drink in my opinion because I really like the taste of it. You just have to be careful on how much you drink.

So in conclusion everyone say it with me now, "I AM VERY BITTER AND I LIKE IT!"

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours hazy dark gold with a creamy head.

Smell is strong hops with strong citrus and fruit notes.

Taste is very grassy citrus hop backed up with a pleasant tangerine flavor. Sweet carmel malts have enough presense to give this brew a nice balance. Finish is quite dry and lingering.

Mouthfeel is medium full and chewy.

Overall this is a great brew. It has complexity and balance that allows it to go beyond being simply a hop monster.

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured a cloudy orange with a thick creamy head that left great lacing.

Smell is full of strong hop odors with a strong citrusy grapefruit being the most dominant.

Taste is full of strong bitter citrus hops upfront with grapefruit and lemon flavors then mellows into a nice semisweet fruity citrus flavor. The Malt is almost undetectable, very very hop dominated.

Mouthfeel has a nice medium thickness with a good bit of hop oil with a solid dry finish.

A very drinkable Double IPA if you want it totally hop dominated, which sometimes is exactly what I want.

3.84/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

I'm torn on how to rate this beer for drinkability. First, let me start with the fact that it poured from the bottle into a pint glass with a dark orange brown color with a head that was tinted a white green. The aroma is hops, hops, more hops and then add hops on top of that. The flavor dried my mouth from front to back and sent a bitterness overload to the brain. Holly hop monster batman. I tried to eat food after drinking this beer, but my cheesburger tasted like hops with a meat texture. 20 minutes later and my throat is still dry. Ruination is a good name... it ruined my ability to taste anything after I drank this beer.
If you are a hop head, try this... it's a hop monster. If you are not, don't come within 10 feet of this beer. Woof.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

One of my favorite beers in this category. Before moving up north I had never heard of Stone, I was pleasantly surprised. Even though this is in the Double IPA category, its not done to be the hoppiest, driest, most extreme beer out there. It is entirely drinkable with a nice alcohol mouthfeel. Many beers in this category can go way overboard with hops and/or alcohol, just for the extreme effect, but unless you are into pain, you can maybe get through one. The Ruination can be enjoyed all evening, then you pass out.

Great beer, especially on tap.

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

One of my favorites I’ve never reviewed (not that it needs another rave!). Pours from the Bomber a pure golden hue, 1-2 finger, semi-rocky head. Lively carbonation keeps a 1cm sheet of meringue sticking all the way down the glass. Classy! You’re greeted with a wall of sour\tart citrus aromas, some evergreen spice and faint yeasty earthiness behind.

Taste is all hops upfront – a tingling barrage of grapefruit and lemons, a winsome malty middle and dry, sour and clean pineapple finish. As it warms, pineapple becomes dominant to me and the malts become sweeter. Through some delicious ‘pain’ comes the best this beer has to offer: with palette fairly ruined, the complexity of the hops and the deeper, vanilla-sweetness of the malts is revealed. A beer of beautiful 'stages'. The complexity is really enjoyable.

Body is awesome – Mouthfeel is silky and smooth and alcohol presence is detected by an ever-so-slight warming of the throat. The carbonation settles down a bit and helps lighten this hop juice. Dangerous drinkability.

If only I lived in So Cal, I would love to try this on cask at a Stone event. I would also definitely keep a keg close at hand.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

By far the best of the Stone Brewery offerings, which tend to be
too "big" for my tastes.

The aroma was harsh at first; the hops were extremely apparent
with just an undercurrent of evergreen. The first sip was even harsher. However, once your tastebuds have a chance to adjust to the bitterness, the complexity of the beer really comes through. After that, the beer becomes increasingly drinkable. Not a beer to
be taken lightly, which is, im my opinion, a hallmark of the entire
Stone line-up.

I really enjoyed this brew, despite its "in your face" hoppiness, but
would not recommend to anyone whose face contorts at the
mention of the words "hops".

3.96/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my pint glass with nearly no head at all. Intrigued by this I took a whiff and WOW.... west coast hop factor, gotta love it. A great fresh piney smell rises out from the pint.

As for taste, I agree with other BA's when they say that this should be the only beer you review for an evening. The hop punch truly "ruins" your palate's ablilty to taste any lessor flavors, in a good way. Heavy citric flavors are evident over a mild, yet detectable malt. Stone truly lives up to their well hyped name with this one, it won't let you down.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured out of a bomber into a pint glass. Has a nice one finger head that disipates, leaving a ton of lacing on the glass. Smell of HOPS and a lot of them. Grapefruit notes dominate. Taste much like the smell. Not a lot of malt balance, but in the case of this beer, it isn't a bad thing. Mouthfeel if medium and oily. Very nice. Drinkability suffers slightly, as many DIPAs do. I just can't drink more than one or two at a sitting. Overall, very good brew. Stone guys, you do a great job!

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

into my tulip it goes...comes out a somewhat hazy golden orange color with a monster sized white head that's very pleasing to the eye...the nose is very hopy and malty as well....the taste is a great balance of sweet malts and not overly bitter hops...great combination...still a little citrus and piney in there as well...very crisp mouthfeel and for me im pleased with the drinkability because the hop presence is definatley there but not too overpowering

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Served in a tasting tulip at just over fridge temperature. 22 oz. bomber purchased from Cable Beverage in Rockland County, NY. Cellared for 6 months, we're ready for a tasting.

Appearance- Very nice medium amber/gold color, clear, with a three-finger bone white head. After swirling, it is a glowing apricot orange. Mostly uniformly scaled bubbles pop their way down the glass, leaving sticky lacing. Gobs of patchy residue are left behind.

Smell- Aromas of grapefruit and pine needles jump ebulliently out of the glass, almost too intense for the boundaries of my glass.

Taste- A nice blend of the citrusy, piney hops with a terrific malty backbone that balances quite well. Not even close to the hop monster I was expecting... this drinks pretty easily, and I'm pleasantly surprised with the balance.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Easy and rolling in the mouth. Not the "beast" I expected... it's a pretty damn easy drinkin' IPA if you ask me.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

bought a bottle at City Wide in Mishawaka to try with a friend from out of town. orange color. not head. some lacing. hoppy, citrusy odor. smells great. tasty. hoppy, citrusy, bitter and sweet. Like sucking on the hops themselves. Definitely destroys the old taste buds for further drinking that night...but i'd still have another. Reminded me of 3F Dreadnaught.

3.69/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

22 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner.

crystal clear golden orange with an inch of foamy white head that leaves a few nice rings.

runs the gamut on hop aromas. bitter, floral, earthy and citric, resiny with grapefruit rinds and peach candy.

mouthful of bitter hops with a surprisingly nice clean finish. prickly light mouthfeel that leaves just a touch of oily hop bitterness. nice flavor, but it's a little too straightforward for a DIPA. little malt presence, and the complexity from the aroma is missing from the flavor.

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.