Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Stone Ruination IPA | Stone Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Reviews: 3,065 | Ratings: 10,791
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bomber, pours a lifeless orangey yellow with nonretentive standard ipa foam.. tight at first, big airy bubbles but very little lacing. nose is starchy, raw malt accented by navel oranges and waxy hop resin. smells like cooked vegetables. great mouthfeel and drinkability.. just carbonated enough and just thick enough with no limp spots.. nor is it too much to choke down. fruity.. sweet citrus meets its match in a numbing wave of dry hop bitterness.. not fresh, not too smokey.. kind of like the ipa equivalent of mexican brick weed. you get alot for your money, but alot will only get you so far. overall flavor screams "barleywine jr." without creating too much head buzz. a decent ipa from stone.. not as good as their standard IPA, but still drinkable for something so purposefully abrasive. cheap, so ill probably drink it again.

I went into this brew questioning whether my palate would be able to handle it. Up until now I've been a malt man, prefering the earthy malts to the spicy piny hops...but i think my palate has finally matured. This was fantastic, pouring a transparent amber hue with a healthy white head on top. Smells of pure hoppy pine and spice, although a very moderate malty backgroud is persent. Tasted how it smells, like having a handful of hop buds in your mouth, oily and Uber-flavorful, but always balanced out by the perfect amount of malt which adds a biscuit like background. Like the bread in a hop sandwhich I guess. Really top notch, If I drink this in another six months I wouldn't be surprised if I gave it a 5.

4.75/5  rDev +11%

Appearance: Pours a hazy honey-orange with a creamy, almost fluffy, eggshell head. The lacing is lovely, coating the glass with an admirable persistence.

Smell: Loads and loads of oily hops invigorate the nostrils. This one really opens the sinuses. Some malty sweetness accompanies the hops to produce a pleasant dichotomy.

Taste: Sharp, biting hoppiness asserts itself at once. Nicely balanced with the malts, which embody a flavor of cake. Hints of citrus rind accentuate the hoppy, sweet backbone of this beer. A lot of complex flavor (even some honeysuckle?) characterizes this beer. Quite delicious in any case.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied for a double IPA. Ruination offers a great consistency and tongue sensations. Not too much carbonation, but a warming alcohol presence. It just lingers on the palate in very impressive way.

Drinkability: Highly drinkable. Delightful to taste, not overly bitter, and tolerable alcohol content. Thanks be to the beer gods that this one comes in a bomber! Sheer bliss.

Notes: Ruination, jubilation, is there a difference? Superb presentation (bad ass looking gargoyle on the bottle), top-notch flavor, and just about all I want in a beer.

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

This beer pours a great golden color. The head is very large and in charge. About a one inch head to begin with that slowly becomes smaller. Still a large head though, the foam is creamy and white in color. Large amounts of lacing. Very good head retention. The beer is crystal clear and looks very alive due to carbonation.

Very strong aroma on this brew. The moment I cracked the top on this bottle, nay, 'ere I even had the cap off I was entrigued by the wonderful aroma of this beer. Its aroma reminds me of flowers and I can detect no malt aroma in this beer, well nothing strong enough to smell anyway.

The taste of this IPA is very good. I really do appreciate the complex flavor of this beer. This beer is all about the hops. My palate is not as educated and experienced as many people's may be but, I have to say that I really only taste the hops in this beer. I don't taste any malt influence though. The taste is exceptional and is full of complex hop flavor. Just as with the aroma it has a flowery like flavor, typical of an IPA, tastes like the regular Stone IPA to me. Still I think I appreciate this one a bit more, it has a better overall appearance, smell and taste.

The mouthfeel of this beer is just as good as the rest of this beer. In my opinion it is lighter on the palate, the feel of it is quite like water, light. The carbonation which appeared to be over the top from the look of the beer after the pour is complementary to the style. There is not too much, rather there is just enough to make you notice that you are drinking a carbonated beverage. I would definitely buy this beer again, however I probably will buy the regualar Stone IPA because for the amount of money this bomber costs I think that I would be better off in the long run with buying a sixer of the regular IPA.

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Stone Ruination IPA in a brown, 22 oz. "bomber bottle" boasting "A liquid poem to the glory of the hop!" The bottle had no best by or bottled on date. I poured mine into a snifter.

The beer poured a beautiful orange amber color with a short quarter in or so of white head. The beer's carbonation appeared to be moderate. The nose was of incredible hoppiness. It beckons me on and taunts me. The flavor was of a great surprise, while expecting a completely overpowering hop bomb, the malt character of this beer greatly balances it. The beer finished with wonderful hop dryness. Upon putting the beer on the palate the carbonation proves to be less than at first glance. A clear, crispness to this beer leaves a hoppiness lingering on the tongue and beckoning me on. For the 7.7% ABV, this beer is insanely drinkable. This could be trouble.

With great expectations I came to this beer, and with even greater respect I have finished this bottle. Big props to Stone, for they have truly proved what the hype is all about with this beer.

Note: Even the hoppy burps taste good with this.

4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Light orange/amber in colour with medium carbonation. Huge citrusy hop aroma, with some interesting green (almost minty) notes in the background. Bracing, but not at all harsh, bitterness. Loads of complex citrus flavor notes: lemon, manderin orange and grapefruit. Minor notes of pine and black pepper. The malt component of the flavor profile is surprisingly clean. Somewhat light bodied for an IIPA, but in a really nice way that makes the beer even more drinkable.

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours crystal clear bronze/orange. Three fingers of off-white, dense cream rise and fall very slowly leaving patchy lacework. The nose is intense and amazingly hoppy- fresh-cut whole hops, with that american citrus and pine aroma. There is a just a hint of sweet caramel malt flavor to properly balance the taste, but mostly just alpha hop oil obliteration. The carbonation is tiny and scarce, but the body is light; and that keeps the mouthfeel smooth enough to retain a good drinkability. The aftertaste turns grassy while the orange peel and pine cone flavors all meld together to form a dry and bitter finish, full of complex flavor but never overwhelming.

4.49/5  rDev +4.9%

22oz bomber.

I still have vivid memories of the first time I tried this extreme brew. It was about two years previous (sometime in 2003), and I bought a bottle off Liquidsolutions because I thought..hell, the bartender told me Sierra Nevada Pale ale was "hoppy" and I liked that..let's give this a try. The night I tasted Ruination for the first time, "hoppy" turned out to be the understatement of the century. I think I woke up three weeks later and burped up a little hops..and I distinctly remember not tasting the burger I had for dinner that night. Two years later, I've returned to try this again, and finally figured I'd better rate it.

A double IPA by all respects, this beer has a very fresh hop aroma, with floral and citrus hops mixing to create a hop lover's fantasy..pure, unrelenting hoppiness. Tastes are obvious in-your-face floral hops, but with a very surprising malt support as well...well in the background, but it's there. Piney hops continue to harass the tastebuds with every sip, as you begin to understand the lyrical rant on the back of the bottle.

Overall, this is just a downright incredible assault on the tastebuds, and every so-called hophead needs to have this near (or at) the top of their list if they haven't tried it yet. Amazing hop aroma, incredible hop flavor, and another blatently kick ass offering from Stone.

3.72/5  rDev -13.1%

This was poured into my trusty pub glass.

Appearance: This beer started off with much promise. The beer poured a slightly cloudy dark amber. The head was an off white nearing on two inches. Sadly the head was not to last. The head came down like a collapsed soufle eventually settling into a thin white foam. No lacing was left behind on the glass.

Smell: Smells floral, woody pine, swiming on a citrus fruity base.

Taste: Leads with floral woodyness going into some malty sweetness. This immediately snaps back into bitter hoppy spiceyness.

Mouthfeel: This beer is meduim plus bodied. There is a slightly buttery feel to the mouth. This has totally wrecked my taste buds for the night.

Drinkability: This is a very drinkable IPA. Do not plan on tasting anything after drinking it.

3.8/5  rDev -11.2%

Not a bad beer, not a bad beer by any means . . . but not a 'great' beer either. The beer pours a delicious amber with tiny little champagne-like bubbles. The smell of hops pervades the room. Mmmmm, hops.
The taste, however, is something of a letdown. Yummy, hoppy, yes. But amazing? I mean, sure, my mouth is all cottony and the hops are present, but what sets this beer apart from the pack? It lacks the balance of Dreadnaught, the subtle beauty of Dogfished 90mins, and the raw, unbalanced hop appeal of Hoppin' Ottin. It exists somewhere in the middle neather regions and I ask why? This is the Point lager of IPAs: Sure, it is head-and-shoulders above the rest, but for as much, perhaps a buck more, perhaps a few bucks less, I can get better. Good, but not amazing.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

I once put a handful of Yakima Magnum in my mouth and chewed, I could not taste anything for a day. Drinking Ruination IPA is not that same thing….but its close.

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a 0.5l stein appears a light copper with good clarity for an unfiltered brew. ¾ inch white head that leaves good lacing. Bouquet is very floral but not excessively so. When discussing the taste it is logical to start with the hops, which are indeed powerful; yes, dominating too but not overpowering. There are good caramel-like malt qualities too. As the beer rises in temperature (my serving was perhaps a bit cold to start), the malt flavors become more pronounced, and the alcohol begins to warm the palate, giving an almost medicinal quality to an exceedingly dry IPA. The mouthful is very round, almost creamy, finishing very dry and quenching. The complexity and size of this beer do pose some challenge to the consumption of large quantities.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

1 pint and 6 oz bomber bottle, brown with no bottled on date, just remarks on the IBU
This beer was aged at least 1 1/2 years.
This beer poured a golden yellow color that was clear at first pour then became progressively cloudy with each pour, which is to be expected, and was well carbonated. The foam that was produced was almost white with shades of an off white/cream color. It was thick and creamy in nature and sticky, it did not last very long which surprised me, and would like to have had it last deeper into the glass. Some lace was noticeable, but nothing really outstanding. The aromas that came from the glass were outstanding and very complex, tons of hop aromas, pine trees, citrusy notes (grapefruits), roasted malts, fruit, and hints of alcohol. The flavors were even better. The first flavors that hit your tongue are a creamy thick malt flavor, kind of toasted, then warming notes of alcohol are felt, fruits (pineapples, pears and grapefruits), then the hops - oh the hops - oh the flavors - herbs, citrus, flowers, fresh grass, pine trees, - oh the medly of flavors. All the flavors seem to blend together like 2 dancers. This beer finishes bready yeast and warming alcohol. Aftertaste was a melody of malts, hops, and bread, but warm from the smooth alcohol. The body was medium. Over all, a really really good beer, a must staple in the fridge. Stone knows how to brew a beer. Seems aging this beer mellowed it just slightly, one of the best out there. Nice and smooth.

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

Beer #5 (of 13) from my beer purchase in Indiana.

Stone Ruination IPA pours a copper-gold color into my class. Atop the ever-so-slightly-hazy liquid sits a 1", off-white head, which slowly collapses. Low carbonation, high lacing. It's a thing of beauty. The aroma is of hops, pure and simple; it's like having a fresh hop leaf in your glass. (There is a sweet malt/alcohol presence, too, it's just that the hops are so overwhelmingly dominant).

The taste is just what the aroma promises - bold, brash, and hoppy. The hoppiness has a strong citrus element to it. There's just enough sweetness available from the malt and the alcohol to provide a shred of balance. The mouthfull is slightly wet, moderately full, and somewhat acidic and sour. Finishes crisp, quite bitter, and with a lingering citric aftertaste.

This beer is about as all-out as it gets. It's big, it's hoppy, it's flavorful. I now understand why this beer is so well-loved on BA - it's hophead nirvana. Definitely worth checking out.

4.62/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 ounce bomber bottle which reminds me how this beer will ruin my ability to drink lesser beers. Poured into a DFH oversized wine glass.

A - Pours a bright golden color with a nice thick foamy two finger white head sitting atop it. Some light gets through. Nice lacing from the head after each sip. A great looking IPA.

S - You can smell the hops as you pour. A mix of piny and floral hops. Now for the initial whiff, stick your face in a pine tree while squeezing lemons and oranges. It really has an overpowering pine/citrus smell that is purely relentless. Everything a hophead wants to smell while looking into a beer glass.

T - This beer is a pure hop monster. From the initial sip the hops hit hard, then a tiny, tiny, tiny bit of maltiness tries to creep through. It is here that the hops (very citric with a nice touch of pine and the littles bit of floral hop flavor at the end of the whole rush) bitch slap the malt back a few feet. The aftertaste is a bitterness that is simply brilliant. Definitely a great taste experience.

M - Very nice, not huge on carbonation but just enough to keep the huge hops from being sticky and nasty (sorry no other word I could think of) in your mouth. Very good.

D - I think this might be my first 5 for drinkabilty. Mainly because this beer has its own taste that makes you want more. Plus, it tastes great which makes you want more. Last, I think the extreme bitterness eradicates any true "aftertaste" that this beer has. Thus, it makes you want to go for another sip to experience the hop punch again. Extremely well done.

Notes: This is my favorite IPA and one of my top three beers now. However I should note that if a non hophead were to review this every score except appearance would probably be reversed. This is a beer for hopheads only!!! I could see my friends who drink crap beer simply spitting this out, and even craft beer drinkers who prefer a lot of malty goodness finding this beer over the top with the bitterness. Oh well, glad I'm a member of the middle ground, who can enjoy malt monsters and complete hop bombs. I'll drink this one any day of the week.

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

(Served in an imperial pint glass)

A- This beer pours a crisp clear light coppery body with a rock yellowish-white head that last for awhile. A nice gentle carbonation of tiny bubbles rises to the surface.

S- During the pour, the smell of green floral hops fills the air. The faint smell of pineapple, and a hint of green grass give the hops good depth. The smell of pale malt give a nice balance to the hops.

T- The burst of green hops with citrus and a hint of pineapple are very powerful. The finish is a nice hop bitterness with a slight alcohol taste to really accentuate the hop bitterness. The hops almost have a sour spicy note to them in the finish.

M- The mouthfeel is medium-full but there is no real alcohol warmth.

D- This beer is bold if nothing else. It has a nice big flavors and some faint complexity to the hops. The malt and alcohol offer a nice support to make the hops stand up even more.

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a beautiful copper color with a monster head... moderate carbonation can be seen in the constant stream of bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass.

Huge odor... mounds of citrus and orange peel, with a healthy dose of a hops... wonderful.

Not as big of a flavour as I expected from this one... but the flavour that is there is breathtaking. Loads of citrus, and a grassy flavour derived from the hops. Also, unlike many DIPA's I've tasted, this one is beautifully balanced, with enough of a malt backbone so that the hops don't entirely overwhelm your palate.

Active on the tongue, but with enough weight to it that it doesn't seem too "crisp". Just about what I was looking for here.

Very drinkable for a DIPA... surprisingly gentle on the palate.... all in all a wonderful brew that I wish I had easier access to.

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%

The smell is sweet with malt and noteable hop presence. A good sweet caramel malt flavor that is firsted noticed. But it makes way for a citrus hop backbone with almost a musty characteristic to it. One thing to notice is take a whiff of the beer before you try it, as once you taste it then you won't smell anything afterwards.

The taste is a kick to the taste buds. Hop-tastic for sure. The bitter hops are the first think to kick up. A strong precence with some mellow earthy tones mixed with razor citrus zing. The bittering flavor lasts throughout the tasting and competes with other tastes till the end. A caramel malt base is the next taste but is really overwhelmed by the hops. It brings a good base to the beer and as your mouth adjust to the hops it balances everything well. Last is the citrus floral taste that has a bigger piney flavor. When the floral and bitter hops mix at the end, it leaves a tart almost grapefruit flavor to the aftertaste. A great fully hopped beer.

The beer is not overly oily as some big hop beers can be, but there are hints of the hop taste in the aftertaste. A good tangy and somewhat tart flavor that can almost be described as chalky. But still good.

An exceptional hop-tastic beer. For a double I would have liked more malt but for a beer it is a not-to-miss experience.

3.2/5  rDev -25.2%

Good copper color, with a full white head topping the pour. Oily residue indicated a nice hop presence and it wasn't joking.
Smelled huge hops with a slight bitter fruit but that's it.
Man is this sucker bitter. I love hops but this isn't anything like I expected. Hops, and grapefruit and even then the bitterness of the hops was too powerfull. Not even close to balanced.
Mouthfeel was slick and chewy but the stinging hops almost kept me from finishing it. I'd love to give this another shot sometime just becuase I love Stone beers but I may be hard pressed to do so. I hope this was a bad batchor something.

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

Served from a cold 22oz bomber into an official Stone Ruination IPA 17oz mug. Ruination IPA pours a hazy light orange color with a thick head, which leaves quite a lacing on the glass. The smell announces what you should already know if you'd read the (rather long) text on the silk-screened bottle: this is a hop lovers beer, (I'd append "plain and simple," were it not the case that Ruination, like all Stone brews, is hardly "plain" or "simple"). The nose is pure hops, with traces of citrus, very much an IPA. The preliminaries out of the way, let's move on to the most important part.

Stone is known for creating big ales, full of flavor and character (some would say overwhelmingly so, but I digress), and Ruination IPA is no exception. The initial flavor is full-on hops, which mellows into strong, somewheat sweet maltiness. The flavor is bitter, but well-balanced. If you don't like bitter beers, particularily IPAs, this might not be the beer for you, although it's definitely something everyone should experience.

The place where Ruination IPA lets you down is in the feel; it has a slightly oily consistency which makes drinking it not as easy as other beers (though perhaps not moreso than other beers of its class). Definitely not an every day beer.

Ruination IPA is, like all Stone beers, anything but routine. If you, like me, are a fan of IPAs (probably my favorite style beer), then you simply must try this ale if you get the chance. If IPAs, especially double IPAs like Ruination, aren't your thing, you probably won't like it, simply because it's sort of the "Spinal Tap" amp of IPAs -- it takes everything about them and cranks it to an 11. Also, it's very likely to overwhelm you're non-craft beer drinking friends. Stone also brews another IPA, the Stone IPA, which I think is actually the better of the two,

4.64/5  rDev +8.4%

Wow! I was a bit frightened by the whole "ruination" tag. I think the only IPA I had before this was Ipswitch. Fear not.

This is a hoppy bear, no doubt. However, it is not as bitter as one might think. I got tons of hopps in the nose and the taste, but there was lots of fuit; blueberry to be exact, with other citrus notes. Bitter, but no worse than a strong Italian coffee. Nice head, nice lacing. It's smell is intoxicating.

A friend of mine that drinks pabst blue ribbon split the bottle with me and loved it. I think that says something.

This is the IPA that I judge all others by.

4.32/5  rDev +0.9%

(Quaffed happily at Eulogy in Philly)
Beer Review #100, and a nice pick for the occassion:

This is a hop bomb, no doubt, and the first sip is a hops smack upside-ya-head, but soon a bevy of other flavors emerge: strawberries, cherries, nuts, grains. I think it was even a little tart at one point. This is sold in a 22 oz. bomber bottle, and I think you need that much beer to appreciate all the different flavors it offers. The citrus flavors go way beyond just being lemony--they impart a set tastes so complex that they are hard to catalog. The smell is terrific too. It's floral and grainy, really pleasant.

The hops taste remains throughout. It's dry and grassy, but the hops also work with the malts to impart so many other flavors that the beer never becomes overly bitter, even after a full 22 ounces. I say that it is never overly bitter, true, but it toes the line at times, limiting how quickly you'll want to swig this awesome brew.

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 22 oz bomber, Ruination sits in my Stone IPA glass a nice clear golden color. A thick and rocky white head forms, filling the empty space of the glass. It's a very pretty presentation. As the head dissipates a great deal of lacing is left on the sides of the glass. The aroma is the first of the many intense sensory experiences this beer delivers. A huge grapefruit and citrus fruit aroma greets your nose with a very intense bitterness lying in the background. There is also a very apparent strong malt backbone that holds the whole beer up. The taste hits you like a freight train. Grapefruit and other citrusy fruits lead the charge followed by an intense bitterness. Underlying all this is a wonderfully nuanced malt base that is the equal of the intense hops. As intense as the hops and resulting bitterness are, it never seems harsh or abrasive. It just has the devestating, enamel-dissolving, tongue smacking, eye watering, tooth itching, tastebud killing, skin quivering hoppiness that hopheads adore and crave. For a beer this powerful, it is awfully drinkable. 22 ozs down the shoot before I know it, but the 7.7% catches up to me fast! Wow...what a great beer, a true experience.

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

Another big boy from Stone. Geez, they put out the hammers. A clear amber/org with a sticky ivory head, nice lacing all the way. Whew, an intense floral hop fest, this thing is like drinking a rose bush dipped in a citrus bath – and I luved it!

Oily on the tongue – and which the hairs were burned off by third sip. Puts a decent buzz on ya by the end of the bomber. Only thing to bitch about was the way it thinned out as it warmed up. Still a thing of beauty to behold and quaff.

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

The appearence is a beautiful dark orange with a thick head. The first thing you smell is intense hops; perfumy, citrus and grapefruity. The taste is unbelievable, the hops are intense but not overwhelming. It's very bitter but the sweetness from the malts balances it out. A very crisp finish with a great hop aftertaste. It's kindof a happy medium between stone I.P.A. and Arrogant bastard with more alcohol then both. It's hard to believe this bigger than life beer didn't get a better raiting then 91.

An incredible Double IPA from a great brewery.

2.76/5  rDev -35.5%

Pours a faded butterscotch coupled with a nice fluffy milky froth which dissolves in clusters. Smells floral with orange citrus and fruit. Hop is strong and up front as usual. I taste astringent grapefruit with an everlasting linger and a touch of sweetener. Good for the style, but it's my least favorite Stone thus far.

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.