Join our email list →

Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

American Double / Imperial IPA | 8.20% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,062 | Hads: 10,741
4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

This is one hoppy monster of a beer.

The appearance is a cloudy amber with a good head that laces the glass heavily.

The smell is herbal, flowery, and citric.

The taste hits you with hops and lots of citrus flavors. Not too bitter, but definitely hoppy. There is some toasted malt flavors in the middle to balance things out before the hops obiterate your tastebuds. The mouthfeel is smooth as can be, and very drinkable. This beer hides it's ABV well.

Overall, a very, very impressive Double IPA. An absolute must try.

4.48/5  rDev +4.7%

Gorgeous thick tan head, covering a light brown, cloudy beverage, with noticeable but not overwhelming carbonation making it's way to the surface.

Aroma is hops, floral spice, citrus fruit (maybe orange, grapefruit, tangerine..), and I detect some underlying toasted malt.

Tasty, I expected no less based off the appearance and aroma. Hops are definately at the forefront of this one, but it is kept under control by the other ingredients. I've tasted "hoppier" doubles, than this, but this one is top notch as it manages to find good balance in a category that is inherently un-balanced. Still not for the faint of hops though.

4.02/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle obtained from Total Beverage (Colorado) a couple days ago. Pours a lushious clumpy light tan two finger head over a nearly clear rust (lightly browned) liquid. The smell during the pour in really enticing. Wet sweet with piney floral hops and mango. Some kind of frutiy ester mixes with the hop sting to make a really delicous aroma. To the nose, the fruity esters predominate over the hops, which are pithy piney. Peaches, oranges, honey malt. Tastes...hoppy bitter initially seems high, but then the thickness of the beer steps in and the bitter gets long in the tangle. Grapefruit pith is so strong it almost stings. It leaves the mouth with an chalky aspirin-like dryness. Behind the hops is the malt sweet. Noticable mostly, but poking it's head up for a view on occassion. Fruity esters are difficult to find. Peaches may be there, lost behind the hop bites. Thick chewy syrupy body with moderate carbonation. The aftertaste is flat out grassy hop bitter, accompanied by a touch of heartburn. Fairly enjoyable, but I don't need any more. The malt is so far below the hops that this beer is way out of balance. That's kinda to style, but not particularly drinkable. Vastly over-rating, IMO.

4.23/5  rDev -1.2%

Stone Ruination IPA pours a pleasing golden-amber color, with very light carbonation. Not a whole ot of head, and the head that is there settles very quickly, but it did leave nice lacing on the glass.

Not surpisingly, I smelled hops. And then more hops. The hops are very piney, with a nice touch of citrus.

The taste is massive. The taste is bitter, hops, very piney, but good. It reminds me of getting a back rub that's too hard; it doesn't make sense why, but it still feels really good.

This beer didn't let me forget I'd tasted it. It leaves a very strong after taste, and a slight film on the tounge, which kinds of dried my mouth out, but then I immediately wanted more. It has a thicker mouthfeel than most IPAs. Ruination IPA is also very drinkable for a beer of this magnitude, even though it's dried my mouth out.

One of the nice things about this beer is that it could stand up to spicy food. I think this beer would be great with anything hot, because I don't think there's any food hot enough to overpower this beer. I like a lot of hot food, so sometimes it's hard to have a beer with dinner, cause not every beer can stand up to a meal that makes you tear up, but Ruination can.

Overall, I think this one of my favorites. I've had it before, twice in the bottle and once on draft. Every other time I'd tried it, it blew me away, and it didn't disappoint tonight.

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

I brought some more Ruination back to Florida from my trip to San Diego. Tonight I wanted to celebrate, seeing how I just finished a big project at work. Let's see how the beer compares to the bottles I had last year ...

It pours a beautiful amber color, very clear, with small bubbles and a lovely foamy head. Very nice.

The smells is great. It's hoppy: floral and citrus notes abound. This smell reminds me of California and all their great hoppy brews.

What a taste! Wonderful hop bitterness is of course the main flavor. And what a flavor it is. But there are some nice sweet notes from the malt. The aftertaste is a teeth-cracking bitterness. It's fantastic.

The body is very good. The higher ABV no doubt assists with this beer's smooth, glass-like mouthfeel. It glides over my tongue.

To show how good this beer is, consider that it's very, very drinkable despite the massive 100+ IBUs.

Hell yes! This is the best Stone beer I've had, and they make some damn good beers. For those of us in the East, seek out this beer. You won't be disappointed.

Note: I see I've given it a bit higher score than before and that pushed this beer to my No. 2 spot at the moment. Either my tastes have changed or I got a fresher bottle this time, although I would imagine this beer could age well.

4.36/5  rDev +1.9%

Yeah! My 100th beer review... and a friggin' crazy killer beer to celebrate with...

Kickin' gargoyle, gold and green texture-screened in negative onto on a 22oz. bottle. Nice presentation! Very cool bottle. Served into a Duvel tulip (my favorite tasting glass) at just above fridge temperature.

A - Pours a very faintly hazy, thick golden-orange color with a sticky, tacky head. Barely any movement inside the glass. Head drops to a thin mat after a few minutes. Lacing is spotty at best.

S - WHAM the scent hits like a delicious Mack truck loaded down with hops. Sweet citrus; grapefruit dominant. Definitely pineapple. Dried kiwi fruit. Lemonhead candy... or is it the crystal sugar bottom of a Marino's Lemon Italian Ice? Oily pine-sap in lesser amounts. Light malts. Bold as hell. Constantly improving as the temperature rises. Wonderful.

T - The first thing that you get is like poor Ralphie's punishment for cursing -- perfumed soap in the mouth. Instantly bitter -- even at the tip of the tongue where the bitter taste buds do not reside...

The taste sweetens up considerably in the middle where the hidden malts play out like a well-meaning but unskilled understudy next to the superstar hops. This malty middle-point is Ruination's Eye of the Storm.

Once the beer makes its way to the back of the mouth, the brief moment of gustatory solace is quicky shattered as Ruination proceeds to execute an astringent ninja ass-kicking on your bitter taste buds. Even as you are swallowing, the bitter hops stick their hooks into every untainted crevice of your throat, leaving a hot, dry, perfumey legacy that works longer than any mouthwash could ever hope to.

After the Ruination's passing, you're left with a warm belly, a numbness on the tip of your tongue, a throatful of insane hop bitterness and a hyperventilation-style headrush from your body thinking you've tried to breathe the ethanol laced air of some alien planet.

M - Due to the anisthetic qualities of this beer, it's hard to judge the mouthfeel. It's definitely viscous and slippery in the mouth. At first it seemed a little bit too carbonated, but as I drank further, it seemed to mellow a touch. It does effervesce a bit too much in the mouth, and the swallow isn't exactly a water slide. I guess that's the price you pay when inventing a beer for the sole purpose of going over the top, and in turn "ruining" people's taste buds.

D - The only reason I gave the drinkability better than a 3.5 is because of the sensory rush and sense of urgency you get when drinking it. Ruination is genuinely delicious, but the IBUs are so cranked up that it ultimately becomes a test of fortitude -- almost a dare -- for you to continue on to the next sip. However, the raw bitterness left in your throat is so strong that much like an addict, you *need* to take that next sip to quell the demons that are despoiling your palette.

EPILOGUE: All I can do is shake my head in disbelief. This is one crazy ass beer. The smell is euphoric and sublime. The taste is demonic and deep as the Laurentian Abyss. Unfortunately, the bitterness is so over the top that it creates mouthfeel and drinkability detriments that would otherwise be near perfect.

I retired for the evening about 20 minutes after completing the 22 oz. bottle, and sitting in bed, I noticed that the feeling I had was strangely reminiscent of the Codeine buzz I got from the medication I took last time I was ill. This beer is no joke.

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

Appearance: From a 22oz. bottle. Poured a very slightly hazy light amber with a small, slightly off-white, foamy head that slowly diminished to a film. Decent lacing.

Smell: Pine with some citrus backing up this hop-attack. Marvelously hoppy with a pleasant light caramel maltiness backing it up.

Taste: More hop-attack. Pine and citrus. Grapefruit, orange, a little pear. Hmm. I’m getting a lot more hop bitterness than hop flavor here, and the malt is very faint. Long-lasting resiny finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full body, oily texture, low carbonation.

Drinkability: This is a great example of where balance is intentionally thrown off, yet done in a tasteful way. So many subtle flavors underneath the insanely hoppy dominance. Definitely not one for the macro-drinking pansy. This one is for the adventurous and the hop-head that is searching for that hops Vahalla.

4.37/5  rDev +2.1%

The up front hop bitterness is something to be hold. I poured this into a snifter. There was not as big a head as say their IPA, but the aroma was floral hop oils. The taste was a big smack in the face of bitterness followed by a smooth malt backbone and finished with a tingling hop presence. This a must try for any true hop head.

3.85/5  rDev -10%

Appearance: Poured a clear reddish yellow color with a quarter inch of tanish head made up of small bubbles. There was some pretty decent lacing after consuming the beer.

Aroma: Oily, citrusy hop aroma. There may be a tad of malt there, but it is nothing compared to the hop presence. I can pick out Oranges, Lemons, and Grapefruits specifically.

Taste: Boat loads of citrus! It is rich and oily, while being bittering. I compare it to drinking orange juice, because the entire profile is lodged on the hop side of the balance.

Opinion: Well, I am not a huge fan of hoppy beers, and this beer in particular I would be inclined to say that it was too one dimensional. Not that they didn't put enough dimensions of hops in there, but there is barely any malt to balance it all out. It is pretty good, but I personally prefer some others more...like their regular IPA for example. Hey...this may be blaspheme to some...but it is my OPINION

4.62/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 22 oz bomber. Stone screen printed label, with the typical long description on the back. 100+ IBUs.

Appearances: Pours a bright orange color - Very cloudy. Thick white head that leaves a ton of lacing.

Smell: Mmm .. hops - lots of piney hops, and some strong citrus as well.

Taste: Medium bodied with a fairly low carbonation level. Lots of piney hop taste here as well, plus some grapefruit. Mouthfeel is creamy with just a bit of oiliness from all the hops.

Overall Impression: Hop juice! Fantastic beer if you are a hop-head.

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

This beer poured a clear orangish tea color with a nice white head that sat nice and tall. It looked great in my tasting glass. There was a good amount of lacing going on.

Its big head gave off quite the aroma. Very floral and citrusy. The hop presence slaps you right in the face.

The taste follows the nose. There is a major hop presence but is not overwhelming. I think this beer does a great job of getting all of that hop flavor to come through without being pungeant. There is also some nice maltiness in the middle.

The mouthfeel is good. I would say this is a medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation.

4.67/5  rDev +9.1%

Unfortunately this is one I have to pick up out of state, since Connecticut doesn't get Stone's beers. Pours an orange-amber color, with a nice white head. Odor is incredibly hoppy, with quite a bite. The taste is like no other beer I've tried. Ass-kicking amount of hops, without being too bitter and too hoppy. Hints of grapefruit/citrus, maybe some pine. The alcohol is very well hidden, and this beer drinks very easily for such a super-hopped flavor. I only wish I didn't have to drive the NY or MA to get it!

4.37/5  rDev +2.1%

its a shame wisco doesnt get stone brews but i picked up some bombers(ruination, arrogant bastard, imp stout) at city-wide in South Bend

appearance: straw orange with minimal bubbly head/lacing, purty lookin ipa

smell: hoppy as hell, grapefruit and tangerine aromas, mild piney hops in the nose as well

taste: yum, very hoppy, more fruity than piney...grapefruit, tangerine, and peach dominate. sweet caramel malt lies underneath. quite a tasty double ipa from stone

mouthfeel: oily hops, bitter, quite nice

drinkability: i will thoroughly enjoy knocking back this bomber

my 2nd "celebration beer" of the night as I am celebrating ND beating Michigan in the big house this afternoon. The first was fish tale 10 sq

22 oz bomber

I've been saving this one for a while. Pours a copper to amber color with a nice thick frothy head and lots of sticky lacing clings to the sides of the glass.

Smell is earthy, piney, grassy, aromatic hops, with some malts. Mouthfeel is thick and smooth with alchohol and nice carbonation.
Taste is much more bitter than sweet, alchohol is present with a complex and very dry aftertaste. Pow.

This is a strong brew, read the lable carefully. Awesome hop flavor not as malty as some other Imperial IPA I have tried so I like this one better. If you like hops and are ready to step up to the imperials this is the one to go for.

4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

This poured an orangeish yellow, with a giant off-white head. It is big and frothyand laced beautifully down the glass. It has a strong aroma of well balanced spicy and floral hops. The taste of overpowering hops turns to sweet malts and some grains. This ends up with a strong but not harsh bitterness at the end. The mouthfeel is slick and full, but with all of the carbination in the beer the bubbles arent harsh on the palette. This beer is definitley high on the drinkability scale. It's delicious, strong, and an all around great I.P.A.

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance is a coppery orange with a large white head that leaves tons of lacing behind. The aroma is dominated by hops with hints of grapefruit.

Bold and hopy upfront with grapefruit and pine in the finish. This one is highly carbonated, a bit oily and medium bodied.

Despite its bold character, if you like hops, this one will be gone before you know it. Definitely worth checking out.

3.53/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've had IPAs before, but nothing like this. This brew is a one-way ticket to Hopsville. It rents the top level of the Hop Hotel, never checks out, and generally mistreats the housekeeping staff. You've just tuned in to the 24-hour Hop TV Network, broadcasting nothing but HOPS.

If carrot juice were transparent, it would be called Stone Ruination. Great color. Head was big and rocky, it held on to the bottom, and the lacing was quite decent.

Aroma was taken over by pink grapefruit zest, and the smell of bitterness and acidity rang out as well. As far as taste, well, extreme on the citrus. There were some malty notes in there, as well as some accompanying sweetness (thank goodness), but I swore I could see big, hoppy, bootprints on the drowning malt's shoulders.

Stone Ruination is quality beer. It's more than a few steps over the line as far as acidity and bitterness go, but these characteristics don't totally detract from the refreshing nature of the brew. IPA is a style I don't visit often. There are too many others I prefer, plus it's only fair to let you guys have your share.

4.45/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear golden orange color with a nice creamy head not a whole lot of carbonation, leaves some nice lacing afterwards. Scent of hops. This is my first double IPA the taste is outstanding IHMO with a medium body. There's a nice bitter taste, but is not that overpowering. This is a very drinkable ale, I will definitely be buying more.

I have now had many Double IPA's and have to say my first impressions of Ruination have changed. While still thinking this is a nice beer, it is not the archtypal beer of its style, not even close, imho.

Appearance: Nice light orange color with a white head - very light lacing down the glass.

How's it smell? Very piney up front, with some other hops, more earthy, perhaps underlying. A small hint of malt or caramel, but not noticeable at first.

Very much of a hops assault on your tastebuds, but in a good way. Smiles! Lacks the balance of some of the other top rated IPA's, but find this still be quite drinkable, but not as much as I did originally.

Not sure why, but this beer often seems to be slightly overcarbonated to me. Actually, almost each time I've had it now - 12 22 oz worth.

I found this to be an enjoyable, strong, agressively hoppy beer which lives up to its claim of ruining your palate for a little while. However, it does not find the balance many other DIPA's seem to have cradled themselves into, and is no longer one of my personal top 10.

4.02/5  rDev -6.1%

22 oz. bottle. Not available here in Wichita. Thanks, Bruiser81!

Appearance: This beer was lightly hazy with a bright, golden-orange appearance. The off-white head rose up to a perfect two fingers and settled down very slowly, leaving a lot of itself behind stuck to the side of the glass. Tons of lacing.

Smell: A nice and juicy, citrus hops aroma was the most obvious smell on the nose. Orange and grapefruit mingled well with sweet and roasted malts. A little bit of bread and vanilla lurked about as well. Pretty straightforward, but very nice and exactly what I would expect from this style.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and smooth. It was buttery, but still had a firmness to it.

Taste: The hops jumped right out and dominated the flavor of this beer from start to finish. They had both a citrus and an herbal quality to them, with the herbal portion becoming the strongent on the finish and in the aftertaste. Sweet malts existed underneath, but they did little more than attempt to balance out this brew. The light alcohol flavor and the herbalness of the hops gave the aftertaste a medicinal quality.

I would have to say that it is not exactly what I would call balanced. But I'm a hop head , so screw it . . . it's great.

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

This beer suprised me. Very well balanced and tastey as hell.
Deep golden in color and an incredible head that looks like a dallop of thick cream. Incredible retention and a nice sticky lacing that covers the inside of my empty glass.
Huge hop, citrus, grassy, type characteristics in the nose.
The first taste brings its nice bready malt character up front along with its incredible hopiness that has some nice spicey notes that threw my off mostly because i was expecting a more cirtusy type hop foundation. This beer is at the top of my list for me. The balance between the malt and the strong hop character in this double IPA is impressive. Whether you are a big fan of double IPA's or not this beer will not dissappoint.

4.15/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Purchased in 22 oz. screen-printed bottle. Served in standard pint glass.

Ruination arrives in the glass a transparent if somewhat murky light copper in color, like liquid pennies. Sitting on top is a big fluffy white head with tons of chunky lacing sticking to the glass. Carbonation level is just right, bringing the bubbles just where and when they are needed.

The nose is all citrus and evergreen. Scents of orange, lemon and pine tree sap abound.

Smooth and snappy on the tongue, Ruination carries its “100+ IBU’s” right to the back the mouth where all of that hop resin sits quite nicely.

The taste brings a mild dry pear texture at first with something I can’t quite place in the middle, almost an earthy maple-vanilla quality. It’s the malt. That’s what it is. It’s sweet. Perfectly smooth-sweet barley malt in the middle with a flagrant grapefruit assault in the finish.

Talk about balance. This is a super hoppy beer but it is not harsh in the least. This beer is an exciting seesaw ride with malted grain on one side and crazy hops on the other. It is safe to believe the hype on this beer. This is an excellent IPA.

3.95/5  rDev -7.7%

1pint, 6fl oz. bottle served in Duvel glass and a pint glass (for different perspectives). WONDROUS lacing in the Duvel. Flabbergasting. I read the boastful essay on the bottle before reviewing.

Smells clean, hoppy, grapefruity, sticky, and piney. Ridiculously obscure fruity esthers abound--pear? Raspberry? Can't tell, it's just an undercurrent for now. But it's a smooth pre-tasting smell.

BIIITTTERRRR jesus christ it's bitter. Smooth in front and a crisp yet grainy (somehow in a good way) aftertaste, but bitter bitter bitter. Tastes like sour grapefruit, half-rotten grapefruit, grapefruit rinds. The juice from a sack of pine needles, mashed. Head is now dissipated from 1.5 inches to a thick film in each glass, with large bubbles in large groups. I swear i just coughed because it was so bitter. (drinkability score follows style standards, i guess)

A long drink gives me strange other flavors, like apple? Orange? Every drink kicks me in the balls. Twice. I will now describe this beer drunkenly in one word: EXHILIRATING. It's like skydiving in hops.

Every couple swallows, now, I get really farkin drunk, but also I get an amazing hint--no, jawbreaking slap--of an out-of-place but excellent taste. I think one was just milky, or ultra-strawberry, or something. It's good, anyhow.

This certainly is hop-to-the-Nth-degree. I like it because it seems to be the top of its class without losing its class, if you follow. But it's...not a chore, but a task to finish. It requires effort to drink, but you're rewarded with simply astounding hops and flavor. An experience not to miss for once you've had hop experience.

3.6/5  rDev -15.9%

22 oz bottle. Pours a golden orange with a huge fluffy head that sticks around.

The aroma is flowery, grassy hops with some citrus, pepper, banana, cloves and a little toasted malt.

The flavor is citrus and pepper followed quickly by a big floral hop bitterness that lingers long and strong in the sticky aftertaste. It's medium bodied and kind of light on the carbonation.

A good DIPA, but pretty one-dimensional. It has some of the most extreme hop bitterness I've had in a beer. It tames some as it warms.

2.56/5  rDev -40.2%

not really feeling this one. this beer is so out of balance it's rediculous. Every sip is painful with bitterness. I would consider myself a hophead but this just doesn't seem to work to me. This is liquid hop juice. If that's your thing, cool; i'd perfer to drink beer. I'm kind of suprised this is avaliable year round when double bastard and the stout come out in limited qualities, both miles beter than this.
Appearance: looks like thier regular ipa. can't really knock that
smell: it's unique, i'll give you that. strange mix of rubbing alcohol and weird hoppiness. different but not all that pleasant.
taste: bitter. very bitter, can't real enjoy the hops. It's not about IBU's people, it's about high IBU's with balance. i like me some hop flavor with the bitterness, the regular Stone Ipa is very good in this resepct. no tasty hop flavor here. This beer is only 7.7 which is the lowest "double" i've seen. Needs more malts. There is a slight sweetness in the backround, but it doesn't mesh at all with the hops. for this many hops this beer "should" be 10 percent.
mouthfeel: too damn thin.
drinkability: it takes one bad beer for me to drain pour. I'll finish this but never again will i get this.

Notes: I'm going against the grain on this one since the score is 91 as of this writing but i have to ask, what are people smoking? this tastes like crap( it's hurts you stomach too) I'm not impressed and this is the worst stone offering ever. I'm sure everyone will want to try it once. Spend you r time and money trying to get some Pliny the Elder if you want to taste a hophead beer done right. I could name countless others better than this. To me this isn't really even a double IPA, just some crazy experiment. My palate was ruined and I won't be coming back. To each their own, if you like this good luck to you.

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.