Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,061 | Hads: 10,697
3.53/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've had IPAs before, but nothing like this. This brew is a one-way ticket to Hopsville. It rents the top level of the Hop Hotel, never checks out, and generally mistreats the housekeeping staff. You've just tuned in to the 24-hour Hop TV Network, broadcasting nothing but HOPS.

If carrot juice were transparent, it would be called Stone Ruination. Great color. Head was big and rocky, it held on to the bottom, and the lacing was quite decent.

Aroma was taken over by pink grapefruit zest, and the smell of bitterness and acidity rang out as well. As far as taste, well, extreme on the citrus. There were some malty notes in there, as well as some accompanying sweetness (thank goodness), but I swore I could see big, hoppy, bootprints on the drowning malt's shoulders.

Stone Ruination is quality beer. It's more than a few steps over the line as far as acidity and bitterness go, but these characteristics don't totally detract from the refreshing nature of the brew. IPA is a style I don't visit often. There are too many others I prefer, plus it's only fair to let you guys have your share.

4.45/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear golden orange color with a nice creamy head not a whole lot of carbonation, leaves some nice lacing afterwards. Scent of hops. This is my first double IPA the taste is outstanding IHMO with a medium body. There's a nice bitter taste, but is not that overpowering. This is a very drinkable ale, I will definitely be buying more.

I have now had many Double IPA's and have to say my first impressions of Ruination have changed. While still thinking this is a nice beer, it is not the archtypal beer of its style, not even close, imho.

Appearance: Nice light orange color with a white head - very light lacing down the glass.

How's it smell? Very piney up front, with some other hops, more earthy, perhaps underlying. A small hint of malt or caramel, but not noticeable at first.

Very much of a hops assault on your tastebuds, but in a good way. Smiles! Lacks the balance of some of the other top rated IPA's, but find this still be quite drinkable, but not as much as I did originally.

Not sure why, but this beer often seems to be slightly overcarbonated to me. Actually, almost each time I've had it now - 12 22 oz worth.

I found this to be an enjoyable, strong, agressively hoppy beer which lives up to its claim of ruining your palate for a little while. However, it does not find the balance many other DIPA's seem to have cradled themselves into, and is no longer one of my personal top 10.

4.02/5  rDev -6.1%

22 oz. bottle. Not available here in Wichita. Thanks, Bruiser81!

Appearance: This beer was lightly hazy with a bright, golden-orange appearance. The off-white head rose up to a perfect two fingers and settled down very slowly, leaving a lot of itself behind stuck to the side of the glass. Tons of lacing.

Smell: A nice and juicy, citrus hops aroma was the most obvious smell on the nose. Orange and grapefruit mingled well with sweet and roasted malts. A little bit of bread and vanilla lurked about as well. Pretty straightforward, but very nice and exactly what I would expect from this style.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and smooth. It was buttery, but still had a firmness to it.

Taste: The hops jumped right out and dominated the flavor of this beer from start to finish. They had both a citrus and an herbal quality to them, with the herbal portion becoming the strongent on the finish and in the aftertaste. Sweet malts existed underneath, but they did little more than attempt to balance out this brew. The light alcohol flavor and the herbalness of the hops gave the aftertaste a medicinal quality.

I would have to say that it is not exactly what I would call balanced. But I'm a hop head , so screw it . . . it's great.

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

This beer suprised me. Very well balanced and tastey as hell.
Deep golden in color and an incredible head that looks like a dallop of thick cream. Incredible retention and a nice sticky lacing that covers the inside of my empty glass.
Huge hop, citrus, grassy, type characteristics in the nose.
The first taste brings its nice bready malt character up front along with its incredible hopiness that has some nice spicey notes that threw my off mostly because i was expecting a more cirtusy type hop foundation. This beer is at the top of my list for me. The balance between the malt and the strong hop character in this double IPA is impressive. Whether you are a big fan of double IPA's or not this beer will not dissappoint.

4.15/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Purchased in 22 oz. screen-printed bottle. Served in standard pint glass.

Ruination arrives in the glass a transparent if somewhat murky light copper in color, like liquid pennies. Sitting on top is a big fluffy white head with tons of chunky lacing sticking to the glass. Carbonation level is just right, bringing the bubbles just where and when they are needed.

The nose is all citrus and evergreen. Scents of orange, lemon and pine tree sap abound.

Smooth and snappy on the tongue, Ruination carries its “100+ IBU’s” right to the back the mouth where all of that hop resin sits quite nicely.

The taste brings a mild dry pear texture at first with something I can’t quite place in the middle, almost an earthy maple-vanilla quality. It’s the malt. That’s what it is. It’s sweet. Perfectly smooth-sweet barley malt in the middle with a flagrant grapefruit assault in the finish.

Talk about balance. This is a super hoppy beer but it is not harsh in the least. This beer is an exciting seesaw ride with malted grain on one side and crazy hops on the other. It is safe to believe the hype on this beer. This is an excellent IPA.

3.95/5  rDev -7.7%

1pint, 6fl oz. bottle served in Duvel glass and a pint glass (for different perspectives). WONDROUS lacing in the Duvel. Flabbergasting. I read the boastful essay on the bottle before reviewing.

Smells clean, hoppy, grapefruity, sticky, and piney. Ridiculously obscure fruity esthers abound--pear? Raspberry? Can't tell, it's just an undercurrent for now. But it's a smooth pre-tasting smell.

BIIITTTERRRR jesus christ it's bitter. Smooth in front and a crisp yet grainy (somehow in a good way) aftertaste, but bitter bitter bitter. Tastes like sour grapefruit, half-rotten grapefruit, grapefruit rinds. The juice from a sack of pine needles, mashed. Head is now dissipated from 1.5 inches to a thick film in each glass, with large bubbles in large groups. I swear i just coughed because it was so bitter. (drinkability score follows style standards, i guess)

A long drink gives me strange other flavors, like apple? Orange? Every drink kicks me in the balls. Twice. I will now describe this beer drunkenly in one word: EXHILIRATING. It's like skydiving in hops.

Every couple swallows, now, I get really farkin drunk, but also I get an amazing hint--no, jawbreaking slap--of an out-of-place but excellent taste. I think one was just milky, or ultra-strawberry, or something. It's good, anyhow.

This certainly is hop-to-the-Nth-degree. I like it because it seems to be the top of its class without losing its class, if you follow. But it's...not a chore, but a task to finish. It requires effort to drink, but you're rewarded with simply astounding hops and flavor. An experience not to miss for once you've had hop experience.

3.6/5  rDev -15.9%

22 oz bottle. Pours a golden orange with a huge fluffy head that sticks around.

The aroma is flowery, grassy hops with some citrus, pepper, banana, cloves and a little toasted malt.

The flavor is citrus and pepper followed quickly by a big floral hop bitterness that lingers long and strong in the sticky aftertaste. It's medium bodied and kind of light on the carbonation.

A good DIPA, but pretty one-dimensional. It has some of the most extreme hop bitterness I've had in a beer. It tames some as it warms.

2.56/5  rDev -40.2%

not really feeling this one. this beer is so out of balance it's rediculous. Every sip is painful with bitterness. I would consider myself a hophead but this just doesn't seem to work to me. This is liquid hop juice. If that's your thing, cool; i'd perfer to drink beer. I'm kind of suprised this is avaliable year round when double bastard and the stout come out in limited qualities, both miles beter than this.
Appearance: looks like thier regular ipa. can't really knock that
smell: it's unique, i'll give you that. strange mix of rubbing alcohol and weird hoppiness. different but not all that pleasant.
taste: bitter. very bitter, can't real enjoy the hops. It's not about IBU's people, it's about high IBU's with balance. i like me some hop flavor with the bitterness, the regular Stone Ipa is very good in this resepct. no tasty hop flavor here. This beer is only 7.7 which is the lowest "double" i've seen. Needs more malts. There is a slight sweetness in the backround, but it doesn't mesh at all with the hops. for this many hops this beer "should" be 10 percent.
mouthfeel: too damn thin.
drinkability: it takes one bad beer for me to drain pour. I'll finish this but never again will i get this.

Notes: I'm going against the grain on this one since the score is 91 as of this writing but i have to ask, what are people smoking? this tastes like crap( it's hurts you stomach too) I'm not impressed and this is the worst stone offering ever. I'm sure everyone will want to try it once. Spend you r time and money trying to get some Pliny the Elder if you want to taste a hophead beer done right. I could name countless others better than this. To me this isn't really even a double IPA, just some crazy experiment. My palate was ruined and I won't be coming back. To each their own, if you like this good luck to you.

4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

Ruination is a deep copper hue. The liquid is bright annd clear. A 1" off-white head tops this beer off. The head fell to 1/4" and had good retention. Good lacing.

Tangy hops. Citrus, pine (Pine-Sol cleaner? But in a good way.) The citrus smell is like a tangerine or an orange peel. There is a candied sweet smell in there also.

Spruce, grapefruit, sour orange. Alcohol. This beer has a good deal of bitterness but it is not over the top. I expected it to be screaming. There is definite malt presence underneath the big hops. The bitterness is reminiscent of biting an orange peel. Very unexpectedly balanced DIPA.

Ruination has good carbonation. The beer coats the mouth with a full body that is rich and far from thin or watery. A nice bitter bite that vanishes all of a sudden and then reappears out of nowhere for another round.

The drinkability on this Stone DIPA is high, it is about as drinkable as Stone IPA. The beer was so remarkably drinkable and balanced that I am wondering if it already had some age on it when I bought it. This is the first bomber of Ruination I have had so I am not sure what to compare it to. Stone has definitely taken hold of the title of My Favorite Brewery.

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

A verys solid DIPA, but I wasn't overwhelmed as I expeced to be. Clear copper body, nice whtie head. Smell does have a fair amount of hop aroma in it, but it seems like there could be even moreso. This does have a nice sweet presence that is missing from way too many big beers these days, which helps to accompany the larger hop profile. This did fulfill my hop fix, but it could've been more over the top, which I almost expect from the style. Or have I become tollerant of high hopiness? Either way, thanks to Twilight for sending me this long sought after sample.

3.85/5  rDev -10%

Got this on tap as 'Double Dry Hopped Ruination' at Anam Cara. It was claimed that it had 200 IBUs.

Cloudy amber in color with a creamy head which was moderately strong but gave in eventually.

The aroma was hoppy and light, sweet, with some orange notes.

The flavor was very hoppy, in an earthy/herbal way, tasty and tangy. It has a creamy mouthfeel. The bitterness shows up later, and grows - at first I would have guessed this beer was not bitter at all, but by the time I finished it, I was really getting into most of the "200" IBUs (though, I'm not sure the last 100 really made it onto my palette). The finish was floral and bitter, a bit smoky.

Overall, this was a good, creamy, colorful beer. "Luscious," said Grover - and I agree.

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

Dark flourescent orange with a huge white head and stubborn lace throughout the tasting. Flowers, hops, resin dominate the nose. The nose pales compares to what follows. Crushing, oily hop juice with some carbonic bite in the middle. Long bitter finish with a medium to full mouthfeel. Unfortunately, for me, unless you are just a serious hop-maniac, a pint is more than enough for this brew. Maybe it is the ad copy on the bottle, but I can't really taste anything else but hops, even now. I guess it's unfair to say this beer has a "finish" at all. Maybe after a garlic clove and some Scope. It is a fine beer while your drinking it, but like an annoying ex with your unlisted number, it never seems to leave you alone.

4.37/5  rDev +2.1%

I remember how I puckered the first time I sampled this. Now, I kneel at the altar of the hop. Poured into a tulip, the beer is a clear, light golden color. There is an inch of head.

The nose is floral, and infused with a dry, citrus aroma. The taste is, "a liquid poem to the glory of the hop, " as the bottle says. There is just enough malt to prevent this from being unbalanced in a bad way. As it is, this is unbalanced in a good way. The hops are a rainbow of citrus flavors, and they do run the entire gamut. Bitter oranges and lemons, grapefruits, and then, a slight pineyness at the end. The mouthfeel is light for the style, but it does coat one's throat. I must give this a lower drinkability than I would normally give the style because of the extreme hops. Do not drink this if are prone to heartburn, or face the consequences. I am not afraid.

22 oz. brown bottle.

White head on a clear amber fluid.

Alcohol right up front in the nose, underscored by piney hops and a sweet toffee like malt tinge.

Medium body with ample carbonation for the ABV. Alcohol is a bit out of proportion--even compared to the massive hops. Great herbal/citrus hop with matching burps. Booze is spicy and burning in the finish.

I hate to say it, but the booze was really out of control for me in this beer. Still pretty good, but the least best I've had from Stone.

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

Appearance is hazy amber with some white foam, but little lacing. Aroma is (as a Stone beer should) mostly hops. Grapefruity, leafy, aromatic, floral hops. Initial taste is sweet malt, surprisingly, but the hops are there! Sourdough bread, toasty crackers, and creamy smooth. The taste mellows in the mouth down to some nice fruity flavors, drying nicely to a smoth finish with some yeast bread. This is a good IPA – and lots of alcohol!

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Browsing the beer aisle today and it dawned on me that I hadn't had this beer in a while. Good choice Kevin, good choice!

The beer opens with a coppery-orangy tint, obvious haze from dry hopping and froathy head formation. The head laced well but I expected more. Lots of lacing left behind.

Sharp, spicy, citrusy, piney, and acidic hop aromas assault the olfactories and promise a hop-forward beer. Only a timid caramel malt character wants to compete. No esters, no phenolics- a pretty clean aroma.

Hop flavor makes the hop aroma look pansical. Juicy hop flavors of grapefruit, orange zest, grapefruit, piney-grassy, grapefruit, and lemon-grass, and, ...oh yea, grapefruit! The clean malt character that I found in the nose falls by the waistside in flavor- this one is all about the hops.

As expected, a clean hop bitterness dominates with a malt roundess that offers little sweetness on the palate and even less balance. Cracker-like in the body, then caramelized malts don't stand a chance. A piney, grapefruit aftertaste persists as the beer dries out wonderfully in the end.

Has a truer American IPA ever been brewed?

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%

Purchased 22oz bomber from Martignetti's

Appearance = Semi-transparent golden honey colored hue. Very nice lacing and adequate head retention.

Smell = Raw oily hoppiness with the typical powerful citrus blast coming through. Smells like a very well crafted double IPA.

Taste = Excellent. Wonderful balance. The hops are there and fierce but the sweetness comes in perfectly to tone it down a bit so it doesn't overwhelm the palate. A very spicy, peppery taste is mixed in which adds additional kick. Great aftertaste that leave the mouth craving the next sip.

Overall = Right up there with Dogfish Head 90 and Hercules as my favorite Double IPAs. Highly recommended to fans of this style.

4.75/5  rDev +11%

Kind of an experimental bottle, aged 2 1/2 years.

Appearance - brilliant orange, thick creamy head with shiny crystalline lacing.

Aroma - highly aromatic with orange and pineapple, good persistence as well.

Taste - sweet citrusy flavor atop a decent malt and light alcohol base. Strong bitterness ensues, like concentrated grapefruit rind oil. The swallow is a clarifying of the hop profile on the palate. Very bitter as alcohol warms the finish, truly a hop head's dream come true.

Mouthfeel - thick, average carbonation, resinous and coating.

Drinkability - a great balance of big beer alcohol, hops, and malt that make this beer this good this long after purchase.

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

One of Stone's best as far as I'm concerned.

The Ruination is a golden orange with thick and chunky head that sticks to the glass. A nice amount of CO2 bubbling up from the bottom. It smells of potent hops, citrus, and sweet smelling flowers. Tastes just beautiful...intense hops!!! Almost like chewing on a fresh hop (which if you've never done I recommend trying) Slick, sweet citrus...orange peel maybe. I think the mouthfeel is perfect...not as dry as some double IPAs. I give this a thumbs up for drinkability. Not weak, which keeps it from getting a rating of 5 on drinkability. But other than that it is just great to drink. Cheers to Stone for a great double IPA!!

4.49/5  rDev +4.9%

Sampled at the 2005 American Beer Fest in Boston.

I love IPAs and Double IPAs, but, like the late 90s chardonnay craze in which virtually every winery started over-oaking their wines, so many breweries have gotten carried away with the whole IPA thing: let's just dump a shitload of hops in our ale and make an IPA... And double IPAs are usually even worse...

But Stone has done a good job with this one. The beer has a nice dark red body with a thin lacy head. The aroma is what wins me over on this one---it's not just a menthol-ish overhopped aroma, it's a nice well-rounded floral hops aroma, with some light orange/citrus notes. It just smells crisp. Taste matches the smell very nicely: sharp bite of hops on the front, some nice mellow malt rounded out with a citrus tang, leaving a more mellow hops note on the finish. Mouthfeel is very pleasant, this just dances around on the tongue with a bit of zing.

I wouldn't get carried away with this, it's definitely not a session beer, but it's a very well done IPA, and one of my favorites. Stone comes through again.

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The sweet barley is only a vehicle to deliver addictive quantities of hops.
So you had better be a hop lover when you try this beer.

Pours orange copper clear with creamy ivory head.

I am suprized that I can even detect the sweetness of the malt over the obvious bushel of hops per bottle.

Nice mouthfeel. I had hop flavor hanging on 30 minute later.

4.07/5  rDev -4.9%

What can you say about Stone that's not already been said?

This DIPA is a great example of the breed. It opens up with a beautiful floral hop aroma that is sweet and begs you to take a sip.
It's in typical Stone fashion to really overload..well put quite a bit of hops in there. I wouldn't say that it's overdone, especially for an DIPA.

The brew is smooth going down and leaves a warm feeling in the gullet. There is a sort of vegetative flavor in there. Reminds me of Gin? Don't know why, but it does. I suppose there's some sort of fruit flavor in there that's I'm missing.

Either way, this bottle if quite a good one. I'm a big fan of the regular IPA but I would have to say that I prefer this excellent brew from Stone.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Bottle purchased from Midtown in Nashville and enjoyed as a night cap last night.
Poured super clear golden orange. Big, frothy, tight bubbled head with excellent retention and textbook perfect lacing.
Smell of citrus laden hoppiness with orange peel and grapefruit rind.
Biting, shockingly bitter hop residue assaults your tongue. Man, this one is bitter.
Chewy mouthfeel that was light medium. I didn't really detect the alcohol previously mentioned. Finished juicy on the mouth but slightly astringent if you wait too long to have another.
Surprisingly drinkable. Where did the bottle go?

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

Stone beers are starting to dominate the space in my beer fridge. This one did not dissapoint and will have to be added to the stable

The smell is ultra hoppy and the taste does not dissapoint. For some there may be too much of an alcohol finish but for me the slight twinge of some alcohol was a nice fit. This seems like it would be a nice nightcapper type of beer.

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.