Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.44/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

As a budding enthusiast, my palate might not be as refined as a veteran connoisseur, so forgive me if my review seems sophomoric. I also realize such a statement compromises my credibility and enables bias, but I hope to appeal to those who are budding enthusiasts as well, and to establish a sense of comrade among the green-horns; to facilitate the transition from interest to passion.
The Ruination IPA has been a beer I've been wanting to try for a while now, but decided to gain a certain degree of comparative reference in tasting other IPAs from various companies first. Today I decided to take the leap and dive into this long awaited hop-beast, and this is what I discovered:

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into an Arrogant Bastard pint glass.

Appearance: A light amber color, with a golden hue. The head left a bit to be desired, as it was about a finger width, but that could have been fault of my own and not necessarily the IPA itself. Small bubbles effortlessly made their way to the top after I finished my pour, joining the head in concert of aesthetic appeal. I noticed the head retained its form for a while, and this pleased me. Although lacing might come into play later, chronologically speaking, it did not lace as well as I thought it would, but it did lace fairly consistently--again, the lack of desired lacing might be due to user error, as moisture may have been present in the glass prior to the pour.

Smell: Mostly citrus notes with floral undertones. As many have said in other reviews, notes of grapefruit are highly present, but not overpowering, The aroma was as well-balanced as the rest of the beer.

Taste: My first impression upon tasting this beer was that it was very well-balanced. The bottle reads 100+ IBUs, however I was pleasantly surprised to discover that it was not as bitter as I initially expected it to be. I very much enjoy bitter, but I would much rather drink a well-balanced beer than one that primarily features bitterness. The notes that were present in the aroma came through in the taste, as the citrus (primarily grapefruit) and floral notes (akin to pine) danced upon my taste-buds. Absence of alcohol in taste, as well as in smell, fit my criteria for a good beer.

Mouthfeel--A tad light and crisp, but without devaluing it's credibility as a big ale. The finish left a lingering bitterness, almost a dry, puckering, kind of taste--which I thoroughly enjoyed. And although the finish was bittering, it was practically refreshing at the same time.

Overall: It was what I anticipated it to be, I set the base for reference a while ago with the original Stone IPA, and in my opinion the Ruination IPA takes the proverbial cake. I will definitely buy this beer again, and perhaps the second time around I will notice something I didn't before; perhaps more accommodating glassware in terms of aroma will help flesh out more subtle nuances in flavor and aroma. However, someone who has never had an IPA, or drinks for only the buzz, will most likely walk away with a different perception of what Ruination means. To me, Ruination symbolizes a certain beauty and balance in chaos, whereas others might only absorb the connotations relating to destruction--of palate and mind. For those who enjoy IPAs regularly, but are starting to feel stagnant, this beer will definitely put you on your toes.
Simply put: this beer is akin to a heavy metal song: to those from the outside looking in, it might seem like a bunch of noise, but to those willing to spend to the time to appreciate it discover the hidden melodies and complexities that make it a brilliant piece of art.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

2.67/5  rDev -37.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.25

There's just something that's off about this beer for me. An almost chemical, artificial taste. But you like what you like and it looks like a lot of people like it, so cheers!

4.09/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a large snifter.
Poured very nice medium clear amber with lots of tiny bubbles for a 1 finger head.
Smells were very hoppy and dank. Some sweetness.
Taste was a hop bitterness explosion. Bitter for the sake of bitter. Meh.
Mouthfeel was clean.
Overall, this beer was disappointing. A lack of complexity, just going for a bitterness overload.

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.