Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

4.62/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I've been waiting to try this beer until I was SURE I could consider myself a hop head. I'm gonna review it as I try it, so opinions are subject to time-influenced alteration.

A - Looks great! Yields a nice, foamy head with great retention. The Beer is a cloudy, dark yellow. Kinda somewhere between white grapefruit juice and orange juice. Never seen an IPA that looked quite like this one.

S - All I smell is hops. Hoppy hoppy hops. Amazing, strong invasion of citrus, flower and zest all together. Hard sniff reveals a hidden malt sweetness just below the hoppy madness. One of the best beers I've ever smelled, hands down.

T - Wow. The hop flavor doesn't hit you all at once, it tricks you for a split second into believing it's just a double IPA. Then as soon as your confident you can handle it, BAM, hop explosion. The hop flavor tastes complex though. It's not like the just overhopped it for the sake of over hopping, you can actually taste the time and effort they put into this beer. Layers of subtle citrus, kinda spicy lemon, shine just below the bitter hops character. You can get a good feel for the malt character at the very front of the sip, but it's wiped out seconds later. Still, it comes through in a surprisingly balanced way, which just adds to the enjoyment. Mild floral notes, malt is vaguely biscuit with a hint of sweet, As it warms the hops tend to increase in lemony note, but not without maintaining the hop flavor. Overwhelming in gulps, but extemely pleasant as a slow-going beer. ONLY RECOMMENDED FOR EXTREME HOP ENTHUSIASTS

M - Just a little thinner than I expected, but thick enough for the style. Bright carbonation, very active. Tingly and crisp. Enjoyable, although I personally prefer thicker double IPAs in general. This works well, however.

O - Enjoyable in all aspects, this beer both surprised and satisfied me. I imagined it differently, expecting it to be a little more like Hop Stoopid (the only other beer that I've had that can even touch such hoppy glory) but I'm glad I was wrong. It's good to see that this beer accomplished an extremely high IBU and a unique hop character, while avoiding being a copycat of any kind. There's no other beer quite like this, but again, I could say that about any Stone Brew. One of my new Top 5

4.6/5  rDev +7%

4.12/5  rDev -4.2%

Ugh. I've really been liking Stone's beers, but im a little nervous on this one, the other ales I've had from them have been pretty strong in terms of hop flavor, so I can't even imagine their IPA. Or actually I can, let do. Served in a goblet.

A: Pours a hazy golden color, with a single finger off white head that dissipated fast, has some lacing.

S: As expected, very aromatic, major hop overload, flower smell, can smell honey and wheat, grains as well, malts as well, pine too.

T: To be blunt, the hops overpower the other flavors this beer could have, little bit sweet at the beginning, but than abruptly destroyed by the mega hop overload, not too bad, but really really strong hop after taste going on, it'll take 30 minutes for this taste to fade.

M: Refreshing, good amounts of carbonation, not over done or anything, massive hop after taste, to say the least, but its the IPA style.... but on steroids.

O: IPAs arent my cup of tea, or beer or whatever, but this a stand up beer, its refreshing and crisp, its smooth until the hop after taste bashes you over the head but it's not bad, not bad at all.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.