Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

A - Nice, fairly clear, has good head retention for a cask.

S- As expected, the hops take the show. Overwhelming. Malt is a background.

T - Malt comes up front, unexpectantly, then those hops take over!

M - Medium body, good balance, and pretty good carb for a cask.

D - Very easy to drink and I think my favorite cask to date!

4.79/5  rDev +11.4%

This beer is what made me want to review beers. I saw that this was highly rated so I went for it. Drank it straight out of the bottle and was glad I did. The bottle is awesome, but the beer itself is rather clear. I popped the top and bang, the hops get funneled up the neck of the bottle and directly into my face. I took one sip and started giggling, this was the best sip of beer I have ever had.

Extremely complex flavors, a hop explosion. This was just awesome. I had no idea how much I liked hops until this beer entered my life. I already have a Furious clone homebrew kit on the shelf...so its next on my list to compare.

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

Ruination pours a great light golden brown color with a white foamy head. The head lingers for quite a while leaving nice lacing.

I think I smell a tiny, itty bitty, slight note of hops.... On second thought, I smell a lot of hops. Actually, is there anything else in this beer? Oh wait! There is a bit of maltyness!

The taste is quite unlike most IPAs I have had. This one has the usual resiny hoppy taste, but it has a slightly sweet finish, which lingers and is much more pleasant than the traditional IPA finish. I get a little taste of banana on the end.

Overall this is a great beer for hop heads. I always like a hoppy beer, and a lot of IPAs have a really heavy malt characteristic that I'm not always keen on, so this is a pleasant surprise.

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

Served from 22oz bottle poured into English pint glass.

A - poured a thick, foamy 3-finger white head. Has a golden hue to it. Not what I expected.

S - I can smell the malt and also a citrus. Much more malt than I expected.

T - Taste is pretty good. Again, lots of malt and of course citrusy IPA bitterness - yet the bitterness is subtle. Perhaps the strong upfront malt is subduing some of the citrus and bitterness I expect from IPA's. Not as bitter as I thought it would be considering it says on the bottle 100+ IBU'S

M - mouthfeel is sticky and oily, typical of IPA.

O - I cracked this one open after letting it chill for only a couple of hours in the fridge. It's a good beer, just not something I'm looking for in an IPA. It's a bit too malty for my liking.

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.