Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros

4.3/5  rDev 0%

A clear orange-ish copper color. A robust head forms and remains for a couple minutes.

Smells of orange rind, powerful hops, with a bouquet of mixed herbyness as well.

The hops lead the Vanguard in this attack. But it isn't painful; the floral flavors follow up immediately. Maltiness is around to make sure the hops don't trample your taste buds.

This is an incredibly well balanced IPA. Carbonation is appropriate, and the alcohol is not ashamed to show make an appearance. Warming presence of the alcohol is welcomed but not excessive.

This is the first time I've had Ruination for a quite a while. Almost forgot why it's a benchmark for great IPAs! A fine product.

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I haven't had a Ruination in probably more than a year, and I look at it as kind of a "benchmark" beer. The last time I had it I thought it was abrasively, scorchingly bitter and I just didn't think it was that good. I've had many, many IPAs since then, and I'm curious what my reaction will be now.

22oz bottle (best by 6/4/2012) into a tulip. Pours a beautiful, perfectly clear copper color w/ a big bold white head. Ample carbonation rises from the bottom of the glass. Lots of sticky lacing.

Aroma is classic West Coast hoppy citrus and pine. Really clean, fresh. Just pure resinous hops.

Taste is sticky, piney, grapefruity goodness. Not nearly as abrasively bitter as I remember. a nice clean pale malt backbone elegantly holds everything together.

Mouthfeel is just right. Balanced, smooth, slick, drinkable.

Overall I like this a lot more than I expected to, more than I remember. It might not quite be in the upper echelon (Abrasive, Heady-Topper, Pliny) but it's a solid, accessible beer. Better yet, I can get it anytime I want.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

2.5/5  rDev -41.9%

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.