Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

pDev: 10%
Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
Jparkanzky

3.45/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Split a 12oz bottle with my wife, poured into a pint glass.

A) Light/golden color, small white head that lingers but doesn't stick much to the glass.

S) Some hops and citrus are the most prevalent.

T) Wow.... a lot of citrus and hops fight for center stage.... overall it's a very citrus-heavy DIPA.

M) Dry, and overall typical of the style, but I think there is a little more alcohol bite than I would expect from a beer with such a low ABV at 7% or so.

O) Tasty, I just wish the weather outside would cooperate so I could enjoy this refreshing brew even more. I have the remainder of the 6-pack that I'm sure to enjoy.

04-21-2011 03:17:31 | More by Jparkanzky
TheDudeRules

2.63/5  rDev -38.8%

Reviewed from notes taken on 4-8-11.

Light gold color is held within my Darkness snifter. Six feet of head that lasts forever. Very light pine and citrus on the nose. This smells pretty good.

I wish it tasted as good as it smells. I think there could be a tad more carbonation. Bitter pine is up front. Hop bite is non existent.Slightly dry on the backend. I will say as the beer warmed the taste did improve.

Way to go Stone for making a terrible example of a dipa. People are excited about the brewery being released here. I am not in that camp. This beer is less than stellar. So why should my beer dollars be given to a less than average product when there is local superiority already established? Good luck Stone you are going to need it. Surly is king in this state and you will soon find out.

04-20-2011 15:31:05 | More by TheDudeRules
MaxSpang

3.33/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 22 oz. bomber into a snifter

First off - WOW! This is extremely intense beer!

Appearance - One of the best-looking IIPA's - and beers in general - I've ever seen. A beautiful crystal clear orange color. The head was a good 2 fingers and was off-white, almost a slight orange color. It looked like apple juice with a foamy head. Looking at this beer in a snifter would make your mouth water!

Smell - Definite hop presence (duh). American hops - citrusy, orange-grapefruit almost. A slight fruity characteristic and a little bit of malty sweetness.

Taste - KA-POW! I wonder why they call it Ruination... Right away, ridiculous bitterness from the hops. I am 3/4 of the way through the bottle now, and so far they are still hanging around. My tongue is sort of adjusting, but I still taste a huge amount of the bitterness. Usually with IPAs and IIPAs, the bitterness sort of disappears after about halfway through the bottle. Not this one! There's a lot of orange flavor, as well as some slight piney-ness. Very slight grapefruit flavor, especially compared to other IIPAs (Double Trouble, Pliny, etc). There's a slight lemony characteristic - more so in the "sting" than flavor. After awhile, there's a fruity/malty sweetness but I have to say it's kind of difficult to find it on the tongue due to the hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel - A moderate body on this one, not as thick as other IIPAs I have had. There's a little bit of carbonation toward the beginning, but not nearly enough to scrub the tongue. There's also a slight sting from the bitterness - the kind of thing that would make you really notice a mouth sore if you had one. All of that being said, though, it is quite drinkable. It's very smooth once you get past the hop mine field.

Overall - This is not your average, every day IPA! I have a friend who dislikes hops and he said this beer was the worst thing he has ever had. I disagree with him, but I will definitely agree that if you don't like hops then you should STEER CLEAR from this beer (it says so right on the bottle!). If you are a hop head (like me), then you will find this beer quite enjoyable and very, very interesting! I feel like if you drank this too often, you would no longer be able to taste hop bitterness.

It's definitely a tasty beer, I found it quite enjoyable and I would definitely drink it again! (But not too often)

04-19-2011 22:36:25 | More by MaxSpang
JackieTH

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

Full bomber poured into a 24-oz glass, golden, slightly bubbly, with two fingers of head, leaving lacing. Smell was an inviting blast of pine and citrus-grapefruit. The taste was one-dimensionally resin bitter with little if any balance. Of course thats by design, but it's somewhat over the top for me.

I'd be willing to revisit it occasionally, but it always ruins my palate..

Revisited 7/2012:

Creamy smooth mouthfeel, zingy carbonation very nice. Synergies apparent with the citric, tropical hop favors doused in a provident malt base. Does tend to get dry, and dries out the palate, but nonetheless it's very drinkable, very enjoyable.

04-19-2011 16:12:42 | More by JackieTH
loobear

3.13/5  rDev -27.2%

Body has a golden haze color with visible carbonation. Thick white head with medium retention. Smells sweet like candy. Strange.

Given the name, I was ready for a rather intense IPA. Kind of disappointing in that regard. Has a harsh finish. Decent flavor, I suppose, but not too much complexity. Slightly watery mouthfeel. Challenging to swallow.

One of these will do. Don't think I'll go out of my way to have another.

04-18-2011 08:03:38 | More by loobear
ZenAgnostic

2.68/5  rDev -37.7%

Tapped into a tulip.

Appearance - Pale hazy amber body. Small head with decent to low retention.

Smell - Very complex and grassy. Slight manure smell. Very distinct wet paint smell with a hint of mold. Good smell other than the wet paint off-smell that can't be unsmelled.

Taste - Astringent taste combined with the smell makes me think of paint remover.

Mouthfeel - Good smooth mouthfeel.

Overall Drinkability - The wet paint smell was a beer ruiner. Talk about ruination. Had high hopes for this beer coming in, so I'm surprised that this was such a let down. Maybe I got unclean glassware, or there were bad tap lines, but for whatever reason this is the first high expectation beer that has bombed so horribly for me in a long time.

04-18-2011 07:28:57 | More by ZenAgnostic
eric5bellies

Australia

Drank on tap at Mad Monk, Fremantle

A - Pours a Golden copper colour witha decent head that dies quickly, but does lace the glass

S - Plenty of piney aromas and grapefruit

T - Heaps of grapefruit present, with citrus and pine apple as a backup. Bitter and grassy on the finish.

M - Medium bodied and plenty of carbonation.

O - A really good IPA with plenty going on

04-18-2011 03:02:15 | More by eric5bellies
Penguin3200

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Bomber of stone ruination this afternoon. Glad to have this in Minnesota now. Nice color of golden amber and a nose of citrus piney lemony goodness. Tasted just hits on the palate! Love it. Finish is not quite there with abrasive, but like the hops an bitter it brings. Great brew.

04-17-2011 23:46:36 | More by Penguin3200
legalpete19340

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

A: Poured cloudy and bright yellow into the glass with one finger of frothy head that laced like a monster.

S: Pungent angry hops, lots of alcohol, maybe even some rubbing alcohol, hop oil. As it warms the hop profile blossoms into spiciness, mild citrus, more pine and some biscuit.

T: Bitterness hits me upfront, then the white grapefruit, some citrus, mild pineapple. I do get a sense of tropical fruit notes people mention but not sure I could have identified it on my own. The biscuits come in and quickly depart allowing the acidic alcohol notes to pull you into another round of herbal and grassy notes before a big bitter finish that. Insane blend of hops and malt.

M: Thick and full.

O: Strange hop bomb. It comes on super bitter and alcoholic but turns out to be very interesting mix of citrus, earthiness and pale malt. Let it warm a bit and then marvel at it.

04-17-2011 20:41:05 | More by legalpete19340
danielsonc

3.45/5  rDev -19.8%

I thought this beer stood up to the typical stone philosophy - bold hoppiness. I do enjoy a great IPA and this is definitely one of those. Though this beer does not tickle my IPA tongue fancy. The bitterness of the beer is not balanced with anything. I feel like stone just put a bunch of hops in without anything else. If there is anything else added to the beer it cannot be tasted due to the overpowering plethora of hops. I think a delicious IPA needs to have that bold hopiness added with a nice balance. The nose on the beer is amazing and choc full of hops. The taste and mouthfeel left me wanting something to counter the bitterness a bit. Overall a great beer for straight up hops but my taste buds wanted something that mellowed that boldness

04-17-2011 04:16:09 | More by danielsonc
BertoEwry

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

My second favorite IPA...Pliny the Elder is first. Amazing flavor and bitterness. A refreshing amount of hops. Very clean tasting. Overall, one of my favorite beers. Too bad a 6 pack at bev mo is around $15 :( If you want an IPA that really stands out, this is more than what you are looking for.

04-16-2011 03:02:03 | More by BertoEwry
Glibber

Idaho

3.93/5  rDev -8.6%

Had this on tap in a tulip glass. Good looking beer, copper color with a whitish 1" head that fizzle down after a few minutes. Really good aroma- pine, citrus, hops. Really easy going down and you could taste the orange peel citrus on the front, and not even that overwhelming on the back end- although the hops do linger a bit. At over 100BU, Ruination is supposed to ruin your palette. I enjoyed my beer without food, bubecause it might not pair well with certain foods.

04-16-2011 01:14:07 | More by Glibber
JednoPivoProsim

Maryland

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from a 12 fl oz bottle into a pint glass. Enjoy by 05 30 11 (when was this bottled??) Loooong description of the beer on the back of the bottle threatening to ruin my palate. Challenge accepted!

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, calm golden body with a thiiiick bready head on top. Beautiful looking beer. Head recedes from the bottom up, leaving about a quarter inch of dense dough.

Smell: Straight pine forest. Am I Christmas tree shopping? I'll take a douglas fir!

Taste: Fantastic! Pine and citrus fruit with virtually no detectable alcohol from this 7.7% ABV beast. A hophead's wet dream.

Mouthfeel: This beer feels thick and hearty. Could I live off of this and this alone? Quite possibly.

Overall: I don't know about my palate, but a beer this good could definitely be ruinous on my retirement savings. I'm in love...sorry honey.

04-15-2011 22:44:08 | More by JednoPivoProsim
MonkeymooTJ

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

Appearance:

Good mix of copper, orange and amber. Thick foamy head that is well retained.

Smell:

Citrusy hops with an essence of pine. A bit of a floral arrangement can be detected as well as sweet/caramel malt.

Taste:

Pine and citrus are the major players. The bitter kick proves the 100+ IBU label is no lie. The slight mix of the malty flavor is a very nice touch

Mouthfeel:

Low carbonation on the tongue. Goes down smooth. A little bit dry and surprisingly light for a DIPA

Overall:

I did enjoy this beer. The only issue I had was that it seemed to be a little pointlessly over bitter. However, that was what they were trying to achieve and they did so. And since I do enjoy bitter brews, it wasnt too much of an issue to me. I will definitely have another in the future

04-14-2011 23:58:13 | More by MonkeymooTJ
ineva

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured into a Tulip/Flute glass.

A:This gives me the evil eye, a orange peel stare. One finger head leaves a savoring lace on the glass.

S:Sweet n piney greens, with a lot of citrus drizzle.

T:So bitter, the breath you take after every sip turns the air sweet. A bundle of grapefruit, oranges, lime, green apple pine cones.

M:The malts are skillfully set in this DIPA definitely a palate wrecker. But surprisingly tasted a little bit of toasted malts that sneaked in when it was at its coldest.

O:So much hops it got drafted straight out of High School.

04-14-2011 04:57:39 | More by ineva
DoktorZee

Alberta (Canada)

4.47/5  rDev +4%

I'm catching this one right at the limit - best before is 4/11/11, and I'm right there. Poured from a 22oz bottle into multiple schooners...:)

A - light amber/yellow in appearance, clear with a fluffy white head that resolves after about 5 minutes leaving bits of lacing around the glass.

S - super fragrant citrus/pine hops on the nose. Nicely cutting and sharp.

T - the hops really dominate this one with a strong citrus hops bitterness almost like orange peel dominating over a hint of malt.

M - moderately carbonated but surprisingly light for an imperial. There's elements of oilness, as well as a hint of booziness but bother are relatively subdued.

D - it's surprisingly drinkable and goes down very easy!

A superb IIPA; delicious hop bomb, but not quite overpowering. Shows a lot of finesse.

04-14-2011 03:20:20 | More by DoktorZee
prg1976

Enjoy by: 5/30/11

Pours a clear pale amber color. Thin white head, some retention.

Smell is citrus hops with a little alcohol and a little malty sweetness.

Tastes pretty much like it smells. Hops are there, but fading. Still fairly bitter, but a good bit of sweetness in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is good, not too carbed.

Overall, probably a little closer to faded than fresh. Still a pretty good beer, but it doesn't blow me away.

04-13-2011 23:45:17 | More by prg1976
BeerDawgs

Georgia

A - A burnt orange, cloudy hazy color. Just the way I like em to look

S - Oh sweet heavens, the beer gods have shine a light on this beer. It smells fantastic. Sweet floral hops, with citrus present. Maybe some lemon.

T - Very good, but its a little more bitter and less citrusy than the aroma led me to expect. Very malty, bitter aftertaste. It is a malt/hop bomb for sure.

M - Medium bodied and pretty high carbonation level.

D - While it is extremely tasty, I think 1 is enough at a time. I will get it again though, for when I need a Hop attack!

04-13-2011 02:23:28 | More by BeerDawgs
mcslain

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours golden to orange. Fills the glass with a cloudy glow capped with glowing white lace. Head fades with snowflake lacing, nice overall retention. Nose is floral, citrus and pine. Taste is the same but earthy hops with grapefruit and some honey on the finish. Definitely a beer for hop fans only. Nice and creamy but still with a crisp mouthfeel. Extremely drinkable for a near 8% abv double. Another great beer from Stone, one of my favorite breweries. I could session with this double IPA.

04-13-2011 02:03:53 | More by mcslain
tubacharlie

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

The white head is of small stature, of a smooth consistency, with larger bubbles sporadically interspersed, with good stickiness and staying power. The aroma of fresh hops is unmistakable as it emanates from the glass, with a hint of lemony citrus. Active carbonation keeps the thin carpet of foam replenished as the slightly hazy amber liquid is consumed.

Brisk and bright hops surround the tongue as the brew hits the mouth, engulfing the taste buds with grapefruit and bitter orange flavors. A background of bread grains is barely noticeable as the hopfest dominates the palate, leaving a tangy citrus finish.

This is a well made IPA of good character.

04-13-2011 01:44:27 | More by tubacharlie
hiku7

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

12oz bottle poured in a Nonic.

A - Golden amber with a fluffy white head. Somewhat cloudy body. Thick sticky lacing was impressive.

S - Very floral plus fruity orange peel citrus smell with pine background. No real malt coming through in the smell.

T - Hop bomb with some toasted malt coming through, but definitely playing second fiddle. The finish is deeply hoppy, and maybe that doesn't really catch it, but that's how it felt. Hops permeating my soul. The bottle says "A liquid poem to the glory of the hop" and that about sums it up. All that said, the deepness of the hop flavor loses some of the complexity found in other top IPAs. The alcohol comes through a bit in a pleasant way in the aftertaste.

M - Medium bodied and smooth, and doesn't detract from the smell and taste.

D - The hops are addicting and make me want to have another, but couldn't drink too many of these.

Overall, a bold tasty brew hopheads will love, though I still prefer Racer 5, Blind Pig and some others that to me seem to have a more complex and satisfying hop profile.

04-12-2011 05:00:34 | More by hiku7
jifigz

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: A pretty typical color for an IPA appearing a deep burnt orange.

S: Very floral and citrusy in the nose.

T: The taste, like the smell, is very floral and citrusy. It almost tastes like that flowery perfume smells that the old women would wear when I was a kid.

M: Pretty typical.

O: Don't get me wrong, this is a delicious IPA, but I feel that there is just nothing really separating it from the rest of the pack. It seems pretty generic in the land of IPA's, but as usual, Stone turned out a beer I would glady drink again and buy a whole case of, but there is just not a distinct hop flavor or aroma or an unusual malt backbone that really grabs my attention.

I just didn't taste anything that deserved all the arrogance that was painted all over this label, even if the words were true. After all, hops are so delicious and have slightly ruined my appreciation for all other tastes, but it wasn't this beer that did it for me.

04-11-2011 21:16:20 | More by jifigz
b3shine

4.47/5  rDev +4%

Draft to brand specialty glass. On draft is a whole new ball game!!! The only complaint I have about this beer (on draft) is that it's defined (and priced) as a double...and it's 7.7%. Could be the best IPA ever, but it's a damn good double that has the alcohol content of a high-end single. But damn tasty!

04-11-2011 20:24:06 | More by b3shine
gkunkle

Oregon

4.13/5  rDev -4%

Pours a golden orange color, a little hazy with a 1" white head with decent retention. Smell is mostly hoppy, the citrus hops are coming through really strong. I think I smell a bit of malt, but my sniffer don't work to well. Upon first sip; the hops come in hard and fast, I am getting citrus and pine. Definitely a good west coast hip bomb, I'm loving this. I don't think I caught much malt in there, but I could care less considering the full scale hop assault in my mouth. Mouthfeel is decent, usually if I don't really notice the mouthfeel, it means it's just right. Overall, if you love IPAs and feel like getting punched in the mouth with a fistful of hops, this is a beer for you.

04-11-2011 15:52:29 | More by gkunkle
MaltsOfGlory

Oregon

Pours a beautiful golden color, looks like an IPA should look, very summer like. It's pretty cloudy, there is almost no visibility through the beer at all. The head looks really nice, it's very creamy looking, lots of small bubbles. I want to give this a 4.5 on appearance, but the head already faded a little bit, it's sticking around at about a half finger length. It for sure smells like a double IPA, the hops just punish you up front on the nose, and then there is a nice citrus smell, maybe some tangy fruit in here as well, but I'm not the best at detecting fruit in IPA'S so I'm not sure. Overall the smell is really really good, it doesn't seem like it's skimping out at all on the taste, which I'm sadly finding more and more common these days in IPA'S. Well the first thing I notice on the taste is that there is no hop crispness, this beer is not crisp at all, which is very disappointing. I mean you can tell the hops are there because of the bitterness, but there is no crispness, which is very strange for a big hoppy beer. Also, the order of things are mixed up, the malt comes first, and then the hop bitterness, I'm a little confused here. It's by no means a bad beer, they did a good job, it's a quality beer, just a little strange. It really is a good beer, so I have a hard time grading this below a 4 on taste, part of me wants to, but I know that it deserves a 4. As far as mouthfeel goes, it's pretty standard for an IPA, nothing disappointing there. As for drinkability, on some tastes you can notice the alcohol more than others, but for the most part it is pretty subdued and is somewhat easy to put back considering it's an IPA. Overall a good beer, it's not the best IPA I've had, it's a little weak in some areas, but it's a solid brew.

04-10-2011 23:36:46 | More by MaltsOfGlory
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.