Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
Byeast

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance: a slightly pale and gold with some orange tone, slight cloudy quality, an overall bright appearance, the head starts as a solid half inch of bright white foam then quickly diminishes to a soapy thin layer atop the brew. This layer slides down the glass after each sip,slick lace.

Smell: Lots of hop aromas, grapefruit rind, lightly soapy and oily hop, some sweeter aromas underneath the strong hops, some alcohol, hint of peach and a slight bit of sweet bready malt. Inviting.

Taste: Smacks of hops! Raw and oily citric hop flavor abounds, just loads and loads of hops in my mouth! Bitter for sure but delightfully so, showcasing the flavor of an onslaught of hops. The malt is there though, providing just enough buttery malt background. But balanced is not the word i would use, the hops have definitely tipped the scale, in fact the scale fell over from all of the wonderful hops crammed into this beer. There are subtle tones of fruity citrus- grapefruit and tangerine, and a bit of warm alcohol. The flavor linger in the mouth for ages. A hophead treat.

Mouthfeel: nice carbonation, slick and slightly creamy feel.

Drinkability: Now, this is not a beer i would recommend to someone who is new to ipa's. I think only those who enjoy a good hop kick now and then would like it. I think it great, but as the name and description warns, it will ruin your palate for a little while, like a hop punch to the mouth.

04-10-2010 23:10:27 | More by Byeast
Spider889

4.05/5  rDev -6%

I had been wanting to try this beer for a while, and finally decided to pony up for it at a bar.

Poured into a pint glass, nice light amber color, decent head with minimal to no real lacing.

The first thing I really took in was the smell. There were beautiful aromas of sweet flowers and deep complex hops.

This was a very tasty beer, but the flavor was not as complex as the smell I felt. Very strong and up-front hop bitterness with a light fruit sweetness on the finish.

I'd score the beer higher for drinkability but I don't think I could drink more than one bottle in a sitting, and as the beer warmed up the bitterness slowly grew overpowering.

04-09-2010 19:17:48 | More by Spider889
coryking

Missouri

4.93/5  rDev +14.4%

22 oz bomber poured half into a Guinness glass.

Poured a beautiful pale orange/straw color. A little hazy, maybe unfiltered. No sediment in the bottle. Awesome rocky, foamy head, retention was OK, but did leave awesome lacing on the glass.

Smells awesome! Very different than Pliny or Blind Pig. I was expecting all of these west coast IPAs to kind of follow suit with each other. Some citrus in there with a surprisingly strong biscuity malt backbone. Very nicely balanced. The more I sniff, the more I start getting some earthly piney hops. As it warms the alcohol starts coming through in the nose as well.

Its a medium body brew with a tiny amount of residual sweetness left at the end and a nice malty character. Oddly, not what I was expecting, the first thing you notice in the taste is the malt, then the hops coming racing in a overpower everything. The first hops that I taste are the citrus and piney hops together in a great balance. Then the bitterness jumps in. It tastes like orange rind maybe, with a lot of earthiness. Nice carbonation for the style. As it warms, the bitterness progresses. Nice and dry on the finish with a great malty backbone balanced by the bitterness.

Overall a great brew! For an IIPA this hits the spot. Drinkability is crazy good. Dangerous brew. I burned through the 22 ozer pretty easily. Would be fantastic to pair with some food. Very, very impressed. Unlike anything that I have ever had before, the balance is crazy amazing.

Outstanding, epic beer. Balanced, balanced, balanced. Obviously a hop bomb, but the crafting of the grain bill and malt character of this beer shows the love and care that the brewers put into it. If this was available in Missouri, this would find a nice home in our fridge. Going to be the traditional American style IIPA that I compare all others of the same style to...

04-08-2010 02:29:58 | More by coryking
fropones

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

Tasted 02/2010

A - Pours a yellowish orange with one finger white head.

S - Nice tropical fruits from the hops with a hint of malt and toffee.

T - Nice balance between malt and hops. Malt makes a nice sweetness to balance the hoppiness.

M - Nice carbonation. Biting, but creamy. Medium full body.

D - Well for 7.7%.

04-08-2010 01:47:51 | More by fropones
Flashsp2

New Mexico

4.35/5  rDev +0.9%

Ruination bomber into snifter

Clear medium gold/orange with a creamy two finger head of offwhite color. Solid retention and sticky lace sheeting.

Aroma of resinous pine, grapefruit rind, tropical fruits, tangerine. I remember this being a bit more pungent, maybe it needs to warm slightly.

The first thing that hits the palette is soft malt sweetness, which is then followed by a huge hop onslaught. Big and pungent with salty hop leaf, grapefruit rind, underripe navel oranges, lots of pine sap. A lingering orangey-bitterness that drags its way through the back of the palette.

Medium body with a slick feel and a low level carbonation. Fits well, nothing to brag about I suppose.

This is supposed to be the monster-of-all DIPAs, and as such it drinks pretty easily. I have to say though, I have many DIPAs, IPAs, and even Barleywines that are way more hop forward in terms of hop character and raw bitterness. This bottle is fresh too, so it's not as if I had a old sample or anything. I guess this beer, for me, doesn't live up to the hype. Not bad by any means, but certainly not that great. More intensity is in order for this to be a truly amazing beer

--Update--
Got another bottle courtesy of the wife, and it's just like it's supposed to be. Boozy, resinous, massive grapefruit and pungent citrus peel hoppy glory. This is the Ruination that I remember: great stuff.

04-06-2010 16:18:24 | More by Flashsp2
weatherdog

3.38/5  rDev -21.6%

On tap at Brixies in Brookfield IL served in a 10oz. snifter. This was my first local Stone beer purchase since they came to Chicago a few days ago.

It pours a hazy amber with a dense head and just a touch of lacing that clung to the glass.

The nose was just an absolute explosion of piny resinous hops. A little bit of orange citrus sneaks in there as well at the end. Its a huge noseful of hops and as the name suggests this is probably going to be an assault on my mouth.

First and foremost an overwhelming spicy type bitterness hits me and doesn't let go until well after I had finished the beer. The flavor of the bitterness is piny and grassy and seems as if I had extracted pure alpha acids and mixed it with some tre sap. Make no mistake this is the most one sided DIPA I've ever had and doesn't even attempt any sense of putting some malt flavor in the beer. While I don't fault that approach on principle this example lacks the cohesiveness I've found in other similar beers. In addition to the hop flavors, a fair amount of alcohol taste was present. This was surprising at only 7.7% ABV and I'm sure a pound of hops per bottle and it didn't make for a better taste.

The redeeming feature in this beer was the mouthfeel. The beer was full bodied with a nice creamy mouthfeel and a perfect amount of carb in order to put forth an effort to rid my mouth of the pure bitterness.

Drinkability was average at best but not all of that was attributed to the insane bitterness. The alcohol presence was just off putting.

I can appreciate this beer for what it claims to be, an utter assault on your palette, but i just don't see what the long term appeal to this beer is. I guess I just prefer my DIPA's with less bitterness and a better hop taste.

04-06-2010 07:15:39 | More by weatherdog
bigfnjoe

4.08/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A- Pours a cloudy light yellow with a very thin white head. Head fades quickly, nice lacing.

S- Pretty hoppy...mostly grapefruits, though I'm getting some pine.

T- Very, very hoppy. Theres something I can't put my finger on...almost like an oat characteristic? Its an interesting twist, adds another new level to things

M- Its really heavy for an IPA. Very thick. Its...interesting, thats for sure. Not sure if I enjoy it or not though.

D- I couldn't see myself drinking more than one or two in an evening. Its just so hoppy. I'm not saying its too strong or anything like that...but god, the flavor is overwhelming. Its like an attack on your taste buds

04-06-2010 00:14:35 | More by bigfnjoe
phiberoptik

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%

How fitting that I have my most hop happy experience on Easter...

I must say that if this beer was a cologne I would wear it just to smell myself. Very clean, citrus/pine smell that never gets old. I treated this beer like a fine wine and inhaled before every sip.

I must say, at first taste, the name and story on the bottle isn't just a marketing gimmick. The chips I was snacking on tasted like cardboard after having this ruin my pallate. The hoppiness is up front smacking you in the face waking you up. Citrus notes in the taste as well.

For the amount of intensity and hoppy bitterness, this beer is relatively easy to drink and I found myself enjoying the bomber faster than I had planned as I felt a bit of the alcohol, which I try to avoid. It does give a bit of a sting on the tongue but nothing uncomfortable and something I expect from a beer of this potency.

This wont be my staple beer as its a bit intense, but this is completely an indulgence beer to anticipate and enjoy from time to time. I cant keep it in the house though because I might find myself sleep walking to get it every night.

04-05-2010 13:29:06 | More by phiberoptik
hosehead83

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into an "Arrogant Bastard" pint glass
Honey-gold in color with a nice, eggshell-white head of foam
Aroma-Fresh, aromatic citrussy, piney hops
Taste-Full on piney, citrussy hops, but not overly bitter. Wonderfully balanced with fresh hop and citrus flavor and an underlying hop bitterness that follows you to the finish.
Overall, dynamic, full of flavor and character, Stone Ruination is delicious and verges on the sessionable in its drinkability for being a DIPA.
Hop-heads: Run, don't walk to get this brew if you have never tried it. Get Some!!

04-04-2010 22:47:33 | More by hosehead83
thatsright

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%

This beer is light and cloudy when poured, with a little head that doesn't stay around too long.

The smell is fruity, bready, and somewhat floral.

The taste is exceptional, with a substantial amount of hops but not much bittering, only enough to balance out the high ABV and maltiness.

This is an unfiltered beer, with a full mouthfeel, sweet up front and a little dry at the end.

Way too drinkable given the ABV.... one of my favorites

04-04-2010 19:09:13 | More by thatsright
KickInTheChalice

On tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: Deep, slightly hazy, golden color with a thick white head that reluctantly recedes, leaving sticky lace down the glass.

Smell: So sick. Hoppity hops on the nose. Floral, citrus, and earthy hop aromas all combine to create a fantastic smell. The grapefruit citrus aroma seems to be the most prominent. Pale malt sweetness is also present.

Taste: How they squeeze over 100 IBU's into this monster is a secret I cannot unravel. It actually starts off a little bit soft, with some pale malt sugar dripping some sweetness over the strong citrus flavor. Almost immediately, however, the hops establish dominance and do not let go. The different hop flavors - pine, citrus, and floral, all combine to add flavor without becoming overwhelmingly bitter. That is not to say this is not a huge beer. It beat my taste buds into a numbed submission, and I felt the bitter taste in my mouth fifteen minutes after finishing it. The alcohol only appears as a mild reminder of what a strong beer you are drinking toward the end of the sip.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, above average carbonation. Surprisingly smooth.

Drinkability: Numbing your mouth is a double edged sword. Nothing else tastes the same, so you may as well have another Ruination.

04-04-2010 17:09:54 | More by KickInTheChalice
BlackBearForge

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

Stone Ruination pours a pale golden copper, slightly cloudy, with a nice thick white head that leaves copious amounts of lacing as it subsides.

The aroma is full of hop goodness, very citrusy (grapefruit, orange and lemons) and somewhat sweet from the malts.

Sugar sprinkled ripe ruby grapefruit, orange, lemon leap out from the flavor with a strong pale malt backbone backing things up while hanging out in the background. Piney and resinous hop flavors twine around the citrus in equal amounts as well. There is bitterness in plenty but mostly in the finish and is not overpowering. Alcohol is nearly invisible and mostly tasted as a warming on the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium and creamy with nicely done carbonation that combines with the alcohol to tease the palate as a warming tingle.

For a huge beer Ruination is very drinkable, I could easily sit here and down it in gulps when it should probably be sipped. Very nicely done!

04-03-2010 22:55:05 | More by BlackBearForge
Chico1985

4.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle to a snifter. Pours a nice orange, great fluffy white head which looks great the whole time. Lots of carbonation bubbles. The snifter I'm using usually is pretty resistant to lacing, but Ruination manages to leave nice webs of it. Near perfect-looking for an IPA. Incredible grapefruit scent bursts through right upon opening the bottle. Citrus and pine hide behind it. Oh, and hops, hops, hops.The smell says "you're about to be assaulted by hops". But alas, the taste isn't quite as hoppy as the nose and labeled 100+ IBU's would hint towards. I have had this a few times before and remember it being a bit more intense. I'm getting a big caramel/biscuit malt taste reminiscent of Stone's regular IPA. Tingly, bitter hops and grapefruit taste as it goes down. Tiny bite from the booze pops up now and then but mostly stays very hidden. A bit boozier in the finish. Mouthfeel is great and creamy, carbonation is perfect. Drinkability is very close to a 4.5, however I chose to give it a 4 mostly because this is very heavy, not sure I'd want to have more than one of these. Also the price is high, if this was a couple bucks cheaper for a 6-pack I'd buy it often. Yes, this does seem a bit like Stone IPA on steroids, but what damn fine steroids those are. Maybe my favorite Double IPA so far, that is, until a certain Elder arrives at my door...

Edit - I liked Ruination more than PtE, lolz.

04-02-2010 11:51:19 | More by Chico1985
jpmclaug

South Carolina

3.93/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured from a growler into my Duvel Tulip (Growler from Greens on Piney Grove Columbia, SC)

A - Glowing orange-amber with a big off white head, lots of bubbles run up the side of the glass, above average amount of lacing sticking to the glass

S - Rather mild nose. Strong lemon smell with hints of sweet malt.

T - Piney hops dominant the flavor. A hint of sweetness when it first hits my tongue but that gives way to a lingering piney bitterness.

M - Well carbonated with a medium body

D - Not a real hard one to drink but I'm not the biggest fan of piney DIPA's. I think this one might not taste as good thanks to the growler of Coast's Boy King DIPA that graced my tongue recently.

Serving type: growler

03-30-2010 01:18:20 | More by jpmclaug
cdizinno

South Carolina

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Hazy amber color with a nice foamy off-white head. Moderate lacing that sticks well.

S: Disappointing. Very mild! Some sweet hops and citrusy smells. Slightly piney, but all very mild, even as it warms up to room temperature. I've had some realy great DIPA's lately and expect that fragrent Hopslam pine and citrus smell.

T&M: Sturdy medium body with a smooth mouth feel. Some floral and slightly piney hops taste with a bit of malt. Next is the hop bitterness which is piney, citrus rind, and woody flavors. Finishes with that typical coarse bitter hops, semi-dry.

Wow! Hoppy, Hoppy, Hoppy. Excellent.

Serving type: growler

03-29-2010 21:23:24 | More by cdizinno
ryanonline

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a nice clear amber/gold with a big fluffy white head and great lacing.

Smells like a delicious strong and lemony tea. Floral hops and clean malty scent.

Taste is the same but less lemony. Just like a brisk and delicious iced tea. Floral hops, clean malt, dry hoppy finish.

Medium body, moderate-light carbonation, creamy mouthfeel. Clean and crisp.
O
I could have a few of these.

Clean and crisp. Beautiful hop and malt balance not disasterously bitter. Beauty in simplicity.

03-29-2010 03:46:41 | More by ryanonline
ChrisPro

4.03/5  rDev -6.5%

rerate on 7/6/09. On cask with amarillo hops at Daily Pint, Santa Monica. Absolutely amazing grapefruit, lemon, and orange aroma. Also has a touch of sweet toffee and vanilla. This was a beautiful hazy golden pour, with typical cask frothy head. Very well balanced flavor, then a wonderful dry bitter finish. This is an amazing brew, and the cask only adds to it.

Serving type: cask

03-29-2010 02:02:36 | More by ChrisPro
mjurney

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

[Appearance]: Honey-golden color, slightly hazy, lots of carbonation, nice foamy head, leaves a nice lacing on the glass.
[Smell]: Strong piney hops, little citrus and floral, some sweet malts.
[Taste]: Piney hops up front, floral, some touch of citrus (grapefruit). Tropical fruit (pineapple like) in the mid-palate. Sweet finish from the malt.
[Mouthfeel]: Very smooth and crisp! Light-medium bodied, pretty carbonation.
[Drinkability]: Very drinkable.

03-29-2010 01:11:02 | More by mjurney
teovaldi

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours a slightly hazy golden caramel with a nice white foamy head.

Smells of a citrus and piney hop with an slight underlying sweetness. No alcohol at all.

Tons and tons of citrus hops in the front and a sweeter background than the nose would lead you to believe. Also no alcohol in the taste. This all attributes to a wonderfully balanced yet very bitter DIPA.

The mouthfeel is full bodied with good carbonation that fully coats the tongue.

Drinkability is great despite the 7.7%, everything comes together pretty nicely with this one.

03-26-2010 16:20:02 | More by teovaldi
imnotadoctor

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

I love me some Stones Brewing beer!

I know I had this beer before I knew what good beer was. My favorite types of beers are IPAs and this one is in my top 5.

Nice strong aroma, very strong hop taste with a hint of fruitiness. I would love to pair this with some type of strong pungent cheese.

After one 22oz bottle you will feel happy!

03-26-2010 16:18:50 | More by imnotadoctor
backfat

Indiana

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

wow. this is a beast.
pours a hazed amber with a perfect one finger off white head. smells strong and floral. very leafy hops, citrus, stinging alpha acids with a strong tropical fruit backbone. the taste is brash and unforgiving. bitter pine hops explode on the tongue with whispers of faint malt and a spicy/peppery finish. one of the most bitter beers i've tried, and i love it. bold and brilliant. medium body. i could drink a few of these, but it's not a beer that the rest of the room will likely enjoy. stone raising the bar again. help me rhonda...

03-25-2010 18:33:25 | More by backfat
Bfarr

Washington

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

A very nice cloudy gold orange with a medium off white head. A superbly rich hopa aroma just fills you up. It's a preperation for the hop overload the first sip has prepared for you. Hops smack you upside the head and permeate the tongue. But, if you think that's all there is and give up too quickly, you'll miss out. After that wonderful hopshock subsides and your taste buds begin to recover, the complex flavors begin to take shape. A light malt sweetness comes through the bitterness as well as the grapefruit and floral hop flavors start to shine. A smooth mouthfeel, aside from that longer lingering hop bite, sets the stage for everything to dance around on your tongue.

Despite all the hops, or perhaps because of it, this is a smooth very enjoyable beer to drink. It is a fine foil to their otherwise very balanced IPA.

03-24-2010 01:51:30 | More by Bfarr
Jeffo

Netherlands

4.63/5  rDev +7.4%

Got this at The Cracked Kettle in Amsterdam.

From a bottle into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Pours a 1 ½ finger medium white head with good retention. Tawny orange in color, but more gamboge when held to the light. Zero carbonation evident. Head slowly recedes to a decent film with a thick ring. Leaving some immediate lacing. Splotchy film and a ring remains leaving some decent lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Big nose with a touch of pale malts, but it's all about the huge hop presence of pine and grassy hay. Some citrus and grapefruit notes there too, but it's very heavy on the pine. Massive one-dimensional nose.

TASTE: Huge hop bill. Extremely bitter. There's a hint of pale malts there, but never mind that. Overloaded with piney flavored hops and background notes of citrus and bitter grapefruit. A slight bit of melon and caramel offer a decent attempt at some balance through the middle, but they're soon brushed aside by a monster bitter piney hop aftertaste that's really bold and long lasting. The bitterness just lingers and lingers.

PALATE: Medium body with medium carbonation. Somewhat creamy smooth, goes down smooth with no bite and finishes crisp, with an appropriate amount of dryness on the palate. Solid here.

OVERALL: Ruinous, just like it said. There are a lot of beers out there that claim this or that, but this one lives up to its name and then some. Easily the most bitter beer I've ever had, completely frying my palate, and I couldn't wait for more. Stone said they would ruin me, and they did, and for that, I give my thanks. They should also say that if you'd like your palate returned to you, expect about 6-8 weeks delivery time. Recommended.

03-22-2010 19:40:25 | More by Jeffo
tippebrewcrew2

Indiana

4.22/5  rDev -2.1%

This is 100% a non-session beer. Don't let the ABV fool you, this is an intense beer with a huge hop profile. Pours a hazy golden brownish yellow with a light white head. The nose is punched full of citrus hops and pine. Beautiful! This beer disperses in your mouth and leaves a film of alpha acid and fresh cut pine. If you were planning on drinking any other beers for the night. Forget about it! This beers hop profile dominates most in not all others so be sure to drink last. Big nose, Huge body, and a ridiculous amount of hops. Great brew.

03-21-2010 08:09:38 | More by tippebrewcrew2
TCgoalie

Finally getting around to reviewing this tastey drink.

Pours a hazy golden yellow with a hint of red. A touch of big bubble head, but quickly leaves the glass.

Nice caramel malty tone in the scent with plenty of lemon and orange essence. I like the citrus smell.

Plenty of malt up front that quickly develops into piney citrus hops. There are essences of orange peel and spruce tree before the malt balances in the back end.

A relatively full beer for a double IPA, but does not overpower the mouth. There is plenty of bitterness but not in an overpowering way.

I could drink several of these with no objection, but it is a little malt heavy for my taste.

03-21-2010 03:33:36 | More by TCgoalie
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.