Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Bought this beer at the store...Heard a lot about it, and I like IPA, so here we go! Poured from the bottle into an Imperial pint glass

Appearance - Nice golden color with a big, fluffy three finger head with superior lacing and head retention. Its not transparent, but certainly not dark either.

Smell - Wicked strong fruit aromas, lemon, citrus, grapefruit and pine. Did I mention hoppy?

Taste - Obviously given the name and description, not to mention the brewey's obvious intent, this beer is aggressively hopped. However, it isn't just some hopped-up one dimensional freak show. There are nice citrus and grapefruit flavors to it, and just a touch of malt in there to kind of ease the finishing tranisition.

Mouthfeel - Pretty clean finish, you certainly can't get away from the hops. I can taste the hops even when I burp.

Overall - I really like this brew as a one time drink, although I don't think I would drink it very often. I like IPA's, but this one is a little too aggressively hopped for me. I know plenty of fellas, and it looks like plenty of BA's, who love it and would drink it every day, but not me. But that doesn't mean it isn't good! Because it is! But it is not a neophyte's beer, or someone just getting into the craft scene. It is quite potent, strongly hopped. To use boxing as a comparison, it's like a charger or inside fighter, vis a vis Mickey Ward. This thing will keep coming at you, you can't duck it or dodge it, the only way around it is to just man up and face the punishment!

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Pours a hazy yellow, but the symphony of bold hops in the smell tell you to prepare for an assault. Starts out with a bit of orange marmalade before the hops attack. Tons of pine and grapefruit, but just enough lightly toasted malt to give it some backbone. So bitter you'll pucker and might even get goosebumps.

A punisher, this. But there is enough complexity here that it's not just a one note hops bludgeoning. But it's a 100+ IBU from Stone. What else would you expect?

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

A: Pours clear gold in color with a thin white head that sticks around. Sexy legs on this one.

S: Pine resin, herbal hops, lemon peel, grapefruit, garlic, with a touch of alcohol esters.

T: Bitter grapefruit, orange peel, pine resin, biscuity malt with a touch of honey. Very bitter. Hops aggressively attack the palate at first while the malt rolls in afterwards and try's to sooth it leaving a bit of lingering citrus hops on the tongue.

M: Medium to full bodied, smooth yet sticky, carbonation was pretty soft.

O: Overall a delicious IPA, definitely a palate wrecker. Must try for any hop head.

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bomber bottle served in a pint glass

A - Slightly hazy golden amber with an amazing 1.5 finger cream head with great lacing around the whole rim and great head retention, this is how an IPA should look.

S - Pine with citrus grapefruit with a hint of lemon.

T - Close to IPA perfection. A smooth full palate experience with a flood of great citrus and pine hop flavor coming at you immediate mid and front palate with a malty sweetness next up front, then the final smooth bitterness in the back palate at the end.

If it was just a little more bitter and have a little more alcohol flavor for balance I would give it my first perfect IPA taste score.

M - Medium carbonation, medium body.

O - Damn good. If you like IPAs you will love this one. I'd drink this any day! A great drinking experience.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

3.65/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip. Pours a clear golden honey color with about an inch of fluff white head.

The nose gives of a nice blend of citrus, floral and bitter pine hops. Hints of lemon grass linger with a hint of toffee sweetness. A little bit on the drier side on the pallet. Mostly bitter piney hops with a little bit of grapefruit.

Medium bodied with good carbonation. A little syrupy in the finish.

I remember loving this one when I first started drinking for real. Not a bad offering but at the premium price this one demands I just assume grab Stone IPA.

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

The last time I had Stone's Ruination was years ago before I had really got into craft beer. I remember it being insanely hoppy. Double IPAs are probably my favorite type of beer. I'll admit that I'm a hop head. Now it's time to drink this beer and again and give a proper review from a much more experienced beer lover.

Despite the name "Ruination", there is no ruining in how the beer looks. I poured this into a sort of snifter style glass and the head, it being an off-white color, grew almost two fingers but I kept pouring delicately so that the head went above the top of the glass. The head was creamy and like a fluffy pillow. A decent amount of bubbles rise to the top. The beer itself is a clear golden.

It's not surprising that this beer smells insanely of hops. I can smell it from my chair while it sits on the table in front of me while I type of this review. To me it's much like many of Lagunitas' excellently-hopped beers. Ruination is citrusy, with lemon and orange peel being strong with grapefruit and pineapple in there too. It also has a pine resin sweetness that I love about many hoppy beers. Spiciness tingles the nose as well. Underneath all of the hoppiness is a fair amount of malt graininess that keeps it from seeming like a one trick pony.

The taste is stronger than the smell and that makes this delightful. Again, this is just what I love in a DIPA. It has great bitterness but there's plenty of citrusy goodness and pine sweetness that make the hops very enjoyable. Being from Texas, I get pick up some ruby red grapefruit in there, even though I don't actually like grapefruit. :P Again, this reminds me of what Lagunitas does so well: hops to the extreme but not overwhelming. The malt brings the bready graininess that was present in the smell. Although this beer is 7.7% ABV I can hardly tell.

I'd say this beer is on the lighter side of medium-bodied but it's not lacking in body nor does it feel watery. It's very smooth but he medium carbonation keeps it lively while I'd say despite the hoppiness it the sweetness gives it a sticky finish. Exceptional drinkability.

This is an excellent beer. Great hops, but not overwhelming, and oh so drinkable. You know, I may be a bit biased with this review. I'll be honest. If this was a Lagunitas beer I probably wouldn't give it such a high score, because I'm used to this from them, but this is a Stone beer that is distinct from their other offerings and they've delivered well.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.