Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured 12oz Bottle into a Pint glass.

A: Hazy orange color. Good size head, about an inch and a half to two inched thick. Great Lacing.

S: Grapefruit upfront with some pine and then a healthy malt backbone.

T: Hop bitterness. Mainly citrus. Good bready, caramely malt finish. Very well balanced.

M: Thick body and medium carbonation. Oily hop flavors linger.

O: Excellent DIPA from Stone. Good flavors and well balanced.

avaldivia, Aug 22, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

**Served in a bottle about a month past its recommended date**

A- Pours a hazy orange, gorgeous looking beer, 1 1/2 finger off-white head with a mixture of small and large bubbles...good bit of lacing as i take this down

S- Getting lots of tropical fruit in the nose, pineapple is the most prominent for me with a slight hint of orange..

T- Hops def first and foremost appear on the scene with a slight bit of malt in the middle only to be hit with a nice bitterness from the hops at the backend...kinda with i got those tropical notes from the nose in the taste but still a tasty beer...i can only image how good this beer would taste if i got it fresh...getting some of the alcohol as i get towards the end.

M- Light to med body, dryness has me wanting the next sip. I could take this down quickly for sure...kinda refreshing as the carbonation fills the mouth nicely

O- Again I have to point out that I am drinking this beer past its recommended date, but the look and the nose are still of a high quality...small let down that I am not getting those tropical flavors in the taste...good bitterness and carbonation a B+ for sure, i would def buy this again and i'll try and search out a fresh bottle..

mjgooner13, Aug 22, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -7.4%

There's a dang paragraph on the back,
as well as "store at cellar temp,"
but no best by/bottle date. Hmm.
Duvel Tulip
A ~ Pours the color of a healthy clementine. Mild head, but good lacing. Great carbonation.

S ~ Forest (grass, leaves, sap) Also Flowers & a little bit of doughy bread. There's citrus peel buried under the ton of pine. Really pleasant & hoppy.

T ~ S A P, Hop cones, Bitter lemon, Grapefruit peel, Overripe citrus, Pale Malt, Dandelion-leafyness... There's the slightest touch of Tropical Fruit. The Forest notes are really singing, but I wish the fantastic floral notes were more prevalent.

M ~ Bitter & full. Carb is light (tiny bubbles). Very bitter. Enjoyable.

D ~ Wears its 100 IBUs well. While a really good IIPA, I wish the nose would have followed through a little better. Not a letdown...but I enjoyed the nose so much

chocosushi, Aug 20, 2011
4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance - Dark golden beer with a hint of amber, pillowy creamy head rests on top.
Smell - Smells delicious, sweet, floral like a freshly picked flower.
Taste - Bitterness hits hard fast and lingers. Grapefruit flavors are present naturally but not over-baring. Mostly tasting pure hop flavors. After taste is nice.
Mouthfeel - Has a nice feel and a crisp snappiness about it.

Overall - A good hop forward Imperial IPA by Stone.

zander4dawin, Aug 19, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

This brew was awesome from the moment I popped the top. I poured this brew from a bomber into a snifter. It poured a light blond hue and first and foremost you are introduced to the hops and pine in your face. At 100ibu's which I do believe is an understatement this brew is highly drinkable. allthough this beer did seem to rip the enamel from my teeth I will most definitly seek out and drink over and over. This brew was great.

Cheers

STKPICR0720, Aug 19, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

A - Transparent straw color with about a finger and a half of fluffy, white head that mostly dissipates. Light lacing is left behind.

S - Nice dominant hop bitterness up front with a hint of pine. Aromas of citrus (grapefruit and orange) and other (mangoes and dried apricots) fruits quickly take over with subtle bready undertones.

T - Similar to the nose, hop bitterness hits you up front intertwined with pine, citrus, and tropical fruit notes. Grapefruit and mango are very apparent. Toasty malt provides a balancing backdrop for these sweet and bitter flavors.

M - Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation. Definite hop resin as well. Very nice for this style.

O - This is such a solid DIPA. One of the first ever brewed, it truly captures the style wonderfully. Due to the fact that I bought it in MO, all of the bottles at the bottle shop had a best by date of 8-10, so I am not able to experience its full potential. It is amazing that this IPA still impresses me this much with as much age as it has.

sdmvd6, Aug 16, 2011
4.9/5  rDev +14%

This is one badass beer, yo!

This beer is exemplary in every facet of my experience. In fact, I sit here and crave simply thinking about pouring this beer. I poured the beer from a 22oz. bomber bottle into a chilled glass mug. It was like taking it straight from the tap; which happens less often, in my opinion, when pouring from a bottle. It had a kick-ass head that left an intense lacing down the glass and would sustain longer than the life of most beers I’ve ever had. It was a very frothy head (my favorite) that took on a vivid orange hue. I took one smell of it and I thought to myself, “HOPS!” To complement the hops, there were some very citrusy smells to it. At times it I caught hints of a premium tobacco shop. It was intensely aromatic. The taste is a medium body with am almost silky feel in the mouth. The malt seems to complement the hops very well, as it is a very soft malt roast. The third character are the rest of the undertones of piney, citrusy, and woodsy flavors. The alcoholic esters add to the flavor some real pungency. It finishes dry. Overall, this is one of my favorite IPAs (top 10 or so). Its a special beer. Whenever I have the money, I will get this again. Hopefully, I find it on tap in the city (Saint Louis).

paxchristi, Aug 13, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Bottle into a tulip glass.

Single finger head that dissipated relatively quickly, little to no lacing. Pour is a bit hazy, with an light orange amber color. Nose has a sweet raisin essence. Front end is pretty sweet as well, and quickly gives way to an intense hop flavor. Theres an initial bite, which peaks and resides relatively quickly, and then a lingering backend that latches onto the back of your tongue like there is no tomorrow.

This definitely changes how you judge an IPA, as many do not seem to match the bitterness this monster brings. The other IPA from even seems very much toned down compared to this big brother.

xdopiex, Aug 12, 2011
4.28/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on-tap at local burger joint.

Despite having lived near stone and having noted the famousness of this beer among IPA/DIPA lovers, I hadn't tried this until the other night. The beer was beautiful in the glass with carbonation vigorously dancing throughout the body the entire drink and awesome retention of a 1 finger head. Both the nose and taste were a bitterness formed through citrus rind and herbal hop character, on top of a pineapple dominant tropical fruit shaved ice flavor. It drank beautifully at all temperatures with an enormously crisp mouthfeel and plenty of nicely incorporated carbonation. Wonderful hop bomb that never became medicinal or chemical in nature. Great beer from stone for sure.

Klym, Aug 12, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours slightly orange/amber with quite a haze to it - two finger thick white frothy head fell pretty slowly to leave a mellow head and a lot of thick spotty lacing. Smells up front of sweet mango and orange accompanied by a nice piney bit - very inviting. The taste is of sweet and resinous hops - fruity, tangy, piney - with a nice balance from a mellow caramely malt flavor. This beer is nicely carbonated and leaves a sticky resinous feeling with a faint burn of alcohol at the back of the tongue. This is a very solid beer, sipping on it slowly so as to enjoy every bit - it's an ideal IPA for me and I'm glad I grabbed the last two bottles at the bottle shop I visited in Baxter, MN.

Enjoy

antlerwrestler19, Aug 11, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +3.5%

Had this a few times, but decided to review it finally, and this is my first official BA review.

22oz Bomber poured into my imperial Pint Glass. Let it sit for a few minutes to warm

A - Nice Hazy Orange, amber-ish, cant quite see through it. 2.5 fingers of white frothy head. Excellent lacing.

S - Hops, Pine right off the bat. As it warms, the malty, caramel notes come through

T - Bitter is the first thing that comes, followed by a sweet malti-ness that follows. The malts don't cancel out the hops fully, but I'm sure that's by design. Finish is alcohol warming and lingering bitterness. Malts are more prevalent as it warms.

M - Great mouthfeel, silky smooth.

Overall excellent IPA, a little more hoppy than I prefer but darn good, highly recommended.

HoosierInOhio, Aug 11, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass.

A: Awesome hop haze to this one, really nice orange/yellow color and a nice foamy 2 finger head.

S: Citrusy, piney, grapefruit, just a nice overall hop character. Really was digging' this IPA.

T: Wow, this is a bitter beer, but amazing drinkable. At 100ibu you expect bitter and I dig it.

M: Nice medium carbonation, slightly creamy mouthfeel, very nice.

Overall a classic from Stone that I will continue to pick up when I see it fresh.

GlassFreeek, Aug 10, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +3%

Pours a hazed yellow to amber as the glass filled.

Not as aromatic or overwhelming as the bottle would lead me to believe, but impressive. Fruity resin, sweet but not too sweet. Wish it was stronger, must smell amazing on tap.

Tastes as good as it smells, if not better. Each sip gives you a new experience, I noticed something new every time. Complex and downright tasty. Fiercely bitter upon swallowing, but I could handle the 100 IBUs with relative ease, to my own surprise. Try as I might to detect the malt, the hops wouldn't let me.

The taste lingers long after the swallow, just makes you sit back and enjoy it, yet yearn for another taste.

Solid in the mouth, pressing your tongue against your hard palate results in a creamy foam and releases even more flavor. Carbonated enough to give it some bite.

Overall, I must say I believe the hype. I was worried that it was a novelty beer that was hoppy for hops sake, but really it's deliciously well crafted, will try again, hopefully on tap.

BaronRogue, Aug 08, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured pint glass from bomber dated 9-12-11

A: Slightly hazy amber color with a creamy white head, receded pretty fast to a cm or so, tons of lacing.

S: HOPS, piney, fruity, resiny.... loads of hops. It's almost intoxicating.

T: Somehow a well balanced flavor coming from this hop bomb of a beer... Piney and fruity hops hit you first but then give way to a delicious malt character that compliments the hops perfectly. The finish is a mix of alcohol and resiny hop flavor. It tastes like I've been chewing on a hop cone. The finish is what makes this beer for me, it's so f'ing good.

M: Medium body, slightly creamy, slightly dry finish.

O: I got into craft beer with this being the holy grail of IPA's. Since then, and since getting a job at a liquor store with lots of crafts, everyone at work talks shit on Stone, and it doesn't sell very well, so I haven't bought it in a while, since most of our Stone products are out of date or on the verge. But this purchase has reaffirmed my original beliefs that Stone is fucking awesome, and ruiniation IPA is incredible.

ReelBigwigFish, Aug 08, 2011

ten out of ten. absolutely awesome IPA. SO DAMN GREAT. I do not wanna get into a detailed description right now, so let me just say it is a magical, awesome IPA that I can enjoy time and time again. Thank you. ... I will be enjoying this brew in the near future because, well, it is great. Please, try one now. SO GREAT!

VicSlick, Aug 04, 2011

Appearance - Nice amber yellow with a thin white head. Light to moderate lacing.

Smell - Strong citrus hops with a sharp earthy bitterness smell to it.

Taste - Intense taste of piney hops with a tiny alcohol pressence. Small floral notes in background try to balance it out, but almost fail at doing it.

Mouthfeel - Pure palate drying bitterness with a light to medium body.

Overall - It was good, but one glass is good enough for me. May be a little too hoppy for me.

dvsbizzyb, Aug 03, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +4%

A: pours a hazy golden color, with a thin white head with little retention, but the beer does leave a very nice lace down the glass

S: strong hops up front, piney and floral, followed by a slight fruity sweetness and then just a little more hop bitter tones

T: Sweet at the immediate start followed by an unrelenting rush of hops and bitter and more hops. The hop flavor is piney and slightly citrusy. It finishes with a strong hop bite and a lingering bitterness that seems to never end.

M: average feel, thickness and carbonation

O: amazing beer, great flavor profile and I love the bitterness and hop presence. I am always looking for extremely high IBU brews.

abgba121, Jul 30, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

Stone's Ruination IPA begins with the kind of hoppy aroma that can be detected a good distance from the actual beverage, letting you know you're in for some powerful bitterness. Up close, the effect is even more pronounced, with huge grapefruit rind and pine sap swirls almost tinging the air green. Beneath these is an obviously equally-impressive layer of malts, since the sugars (brown, with strong hints of toast and biscuit) manage to still make themselves known despite the hops.

On the tongue, the beer begins with hops, which literally assault the tastebuds and soft palate with pine, grapefruit, rosewater, and small threads of eucalyptus, leaving a noticeable buzzing feeling on the tongue when held there for a few seconds. Despite the 100+ IBUs, the hops are still well-balanced, and haven't sacrificed flavor for bitterness, which happens with lesser-quality IPAs. As well, there are, again, an equally-strong layer of malts in here, which bring apricot and berry fruit esters to the mix, as well as strong brown sugars and Grape Nuts cereal overtones, providing a nice counter to the hops. The aftertaste is a long, lingering hop parade, which does become more and more bitter as the sugars die off, and ends up tasting like dandelion stems. Mouthfeel is a creamy medium, and carbonation is medium.

Overall, only a few sips of this reveals why the label claims this has an "immediate ruinous effect on your palate": after this many IBUs, it's doubtful that any other beer is going to have much flavor at all. But since the beer is this delicious, and a bomber clocks in at 7.7% ABV, you might not need another one anyway.

jondeelee, Jul 30, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Oh beautiful IPA. I relish this amazing beer.
Stone defines HOPPINESS, I love this.

The color and head is perfect. The lacing was really nice on the glass.

I like the smell and taste of the hops. It is a great example of a west coast ipa. Thank you Stone.

ummswimmin, Jul 28, 2011
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's not often I review a beer with 4.5's (with a 5.0 squeaking its way in) across the board...but anyway, here we go.

Poured into my favorite tulip glass from a 22oz bomber dated 9/20/11. Nice.

A: Pours a slightly cloudy (hey, it's unfiltered after all) amber with an inch or so of head that shows impressive staying power. Looks gorgeous in a tulip. Nice thick lacing.

S: Wow. This puts a big smile on my face, and confirms that I am an official Hop Head. Huge aroma of hops, hops, and more hops. Imposing, dank, sweet-yet-insulting, grapefruity, piney, resinous, ridiculous. The sweetness of the malts barely cuts through the fog of hop aroma, but it's there in an attempt at balance. This, my friends, is what a DIPA is all about.

T: Again, wow. And again, a big smile. Forget the beer, let me just gnaw on some hops! This beer has an incredible flavor - it's sweet and tangy and bitter and sweet again and bitter and full and oppressive. I can't say I've tasted anything like it, and I've had my fair share of DIPAs. It's exquisitely balanced. The 100+ IBUs are evident yet surprisingly managed. Just incredible.

M: Nice and full. Quite oily and coating. The bitterness is incredible, and yet very managed. This beer is one perfectly-balanced SOB.

O: This is one helluva beer. It's got everything - mind-blowing hoppiness, an understated-yet-somewhat-balancing malt backbone, and an aroma that makes me wish they made candles out of this stuff. At 7.7% it's practically a lightweight in DIPA territory, and yet it stands toe-to-toe with some of the greats. Stone has practical perfection on its hands, 8 years (at least) running. Bravo, Stone. Bravo.

machostacos, Jul 27, 2011
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured a nice reddish orange color and formed a nice bubbly off white head and left some nice bubbly circular lace. A decent amount of carbonation is present. An aroma of hops, citrus and some floral aspects. The flavor is of hops and citrus with a slight hint of herb. The finish is light and just a touch bitter and extremely astrigent. Great beer but a beer you probably want to drink at the end of the night unless you don't want to taste any other beers the rest of the night.

huhl23, Jul 26, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +4%

Poured into my Stone Imperial glass. Beautiful, light orange, semi-cloudy appearance. Head is a small two fingers and bright white in color and quite creamy looking. Lace was almost a solid sheet of beauty.

Smell is peel your face off citrus hops. Lots of bright citrus smells. Lemon, lime, yellow grapefruit and pineapple. Some alcohol is there too.

Taste is ultra bitter. Lemon tart pucker with some sweetness from an orange or pineapple. Some alcohol burn late in the throat. Tongue is incapable of much more.

Mouth is huge. Very full and even though my tongue is wrecked I can still say the flavors and carbonation are there to the end.

Overall I have had this many times in the past but have never had a chance to review it. I must say that this is my favorite example of a huge West Coast IPA (or double). It's name says it all. Not everyone in the US is okay with this huge West Coast style, but I call all of those that can't handle a ruined pallet a big fat wimp! Cheers to all of us that do! A must try! I also must commend Stone for freshness dating their bottles now. This one was dated 08/21/11. Maybe the freshest I've ever had???

azdback, Jul 26, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

I love hops so here is my nectar!

Did not think I would be drinking this on a 100 degree day but no problem with that I guess!

Poured into my glass and for some reason, it appeared to be somewhat flat? Oh well.

Smelled awesome though! Huge pine and herbal and grapefruit bomb. You can tell the hops are here lurking underneath that head. Here comes the artillery!

But....not quite there. It was good, don't get me wrong, but the hops are all up front and then die out, with no malt underneath. Its a good nice big bold bitter beer though...

Overall, I think this beer is on the verge of being great. Its not quite there, but I think it has an awesome presence.

beerdrinker4life, Jul 24, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Split a six-pack with a friend, awesome purchase.

A: Golden, yellow almost like fruit juice in color. Good frothy two finger head that lasts.

S: Lots of citrus here with resiny hop notes..wonderful!

T: AMAZING! Citrus, hop oil/resin, a multitude of fruit flavor (pineapple, grapefruit, orange) and delightful bitterness. The bitterness lingers and refreshes for the next drink.

M: Very good medium to lighter bodied, little carbonation.

O: Phenomonal, I didn't think I was this into hops until I tried this beer. Well worth the $16 for a sixpack, but after three my palate and sobriety were (delightfully) RUINED!

klaybie, Jul 24, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -13.3%

Hazy deep orange in color with a quickly receding single finger eggshell colored head.

Smells of white pepper sprinkled on lemon and grapefruit rind with loads of pine tree sap. Cowering in the shadowy background is a faint glimmer of toasted malt.

Tastes just as peppery as the nose, but leans more toward citrus peel elements than pine elements, and quickly changes into a straightforward power chord of boiling-step addition hop bittering (boiled pine) that absolutely blasts away the feeble malt presence. It does often feel unbalanced because there just isn't quite enough malt to make a solid canvas for the astringency of the muscle-car engine that is the hop bittering to truly shine upon. And that transition from one kind of hop profile into the other is clunky and sudden, like a switch suddenly being thrown.

Mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side of medium, but damn is it ever creamy and smooth in texture, which makes up for the thinness. The ABV is well hidden, at no point at all does it behave boozey or "hot".

This brew is just like the muscle car metaphor I used earlier. Simple, straightforward, delivers one thing (powerful straightforward bitter) with exquisite speed, gusto, and showmanship. But just as a muscle car is not good for complicated cornering or subtlety, this beer is not the best for drinkers seeking an IPA with malt balance against the bitterness, or a subtle display of multiple aspects of flavor profiles that different kinds of hops can create working together in tandem harmoniously. Be sure that you are looking for the muscle car ride and not some other kind of racing car experience before you buy this brew, and you won't be disappointed.

WastingFreetime, Jul 23, 2011
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.