Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

pDev: 10%
Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
Tomdee74

Connecticut

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

My grade will probably come out to an A, but overall I'd like to summarize this as an A- to B+ beer. I think it's a tad overrated. It is good, don't get me wrong, but there are some really good ipas out there. In my opinion it doesn't measure up to a smuttynose big a ipa and it actually just contends with harpoon leviathan and hop wallop when we talk about DIPAs I can get here in CT. Doesn't come close to a Hopslam or a Pliny. And I don't mean to bad mouth this. i'm drinking this and I really am enjoying it.

A - Poured into a tulip glass and i love the head and lacing. nice head and even better lacing.

S- The one I'm drinking might be a tad old as the smell is not so pungent; however, I've had this before and fresh it smells really good. lots of pineapple/citrus/floral notes.

T - A nice hoppy taste to this. I do like the floral citrus notes to this. The carbonation is really good. This is not a huge alcohol blast thankfully and the abvs are low which i like. they are also very well hidden.

D - I actually rate this pretty high. It is tasty. I don't mean to bash this at all, but i do think it is overpriced and a tad overrated. i live in ct so maybe its the shipping charges that make this so expensive. and a sign over it to say that it is "perhaps the best ipa in america" doesn't help and automatically sets the bar way too high before tasting it.

04-17-2010 22:18:21 | More by Tomdee74
djbreezy

Washington

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewing from scratch on 12/8/2010 since my old review was mediocre.

appearance - pours a honey gold color, little transparency, huge soapy head that dissipates gracefully, lacing is sticky but not massive, a great looking brew

smell - bitter astringency, highly floral and hoppy notes, some sweetness in there as well, big nose on this one

taste - ultra bitter hops backed by a huge body, strong aftertaste, some alcohol present, buttery and floral, lingering

mouthfeel - full body, medium carbonation, not too dry but the hops linger on the roof of the mouth

drinkability - full of flavor, drinks as advertised on the bottle, its a huge brew

Edit: to clarify, this does wreck the palate. I followed up with a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and couldn't discern any of the notes. Well done, Stone. Well done.

04-16-2010 23:28:09 | More by djbreezy
33nickadams

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

My first beer to review. I decided to review this one because I love imperial ipas and this one, I have read on this site, seemed pretty good. Anyway, here goes.

Appearance: golden amber, semi-translucent, about a finger of head

Smell: love the smell, very fruity

Taste: First taste the sweetness, then the bitterness follows as you swallow

Mouthfeel: leaves the mouth feeling a little dry

Drinkability: very drinkable, doesn't have the alcohol that I am used to with the DIPAs. I could drink a few of these.

Overall, I am a little disappointed. I guess I had in mind something better than Hopslam. Still pretty good though.

04-16-2010 01:27:07 | More by 33nickadams
regspeir

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Poured from a 22-oz bottle into an Affligem goblet.
Straw-colored, with a smallish head and quickly dissapating lacing.
There is a citrusy orange/lemon, grassy, floral, hoppy nose.
Upon tasting, the hops are intense and up-front. Some malty breadiness supports it but this IS a hop-bomb. Crisp and clean taste that follows the nose. Some grapefrui and lemon. bitter aftertaste leaves a serious pucker. I LIKE it!
This is perfect for a warm day's refreshment but for Hopheads only!

04-15-2010 20:26:30 | More by regspeir
Mosstrooper

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from 22oz bottle into Corsendonk tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours cloudy golden color with a large off-white head that dissipates very, very slowly and leaves behind thick lacing.

Smell: The strongest hop aromas I've ever smelled- nuttiness and earthy aromas, with hints of grassiness and some herbal hints as well.

Taste: VERY BITTER- A slight hint of bready malt in the beginning, but after that its all very earthy and slightly nutty hop flavors. This is so hoppy that the first sip gave me chills. Leaves a somewhat buttery aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium to thick body with balanced carbonation and a very dry finish.

Drinkability: The hoppiness of this beer means that it's definitely a sipper. However, it's very good. Overwhelming amounts of hops aren't exactly my thing, so while I wouldn't drink this much, I like it a lot.

04-14-2010 21:27:03 | More by Mosstrooper
wahhmaster

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured from a 1 pt. 6 oz. bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Pours a hazy bright orange color. Has a thick, foamy head that dissipates slowly and leaves decent lacing.

Smell: Grassy, earthy hops dominate, as expected. Some sweet malty notes also come out in the smell.

Taste: Wow, this is pretty intensely hoppy. Stone doesn't lie when they tell you to approach their beers with caution. This is definitely not for the uninitiated. It's so hoppy it almost hurts. Grassy and earthy hops absolutely dominate this beer. There are subtle malty flavors in the background.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and full-bodied with an exceptionally clean finish. Everything you could ask for.

Drinkability: A great beer! This is one I'll definitely look for again. While you might not necessarily want to drink too many of these at a time, this is one of the best beers I've had in a long time.

04-14-2010 21:25:16 | More by wahhmaster
cdbooth219

Maryland

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

12 oz bottle poured into mug

A: Pours a hazy golden-orange color with 2 fingers of creamy white-orange head that disippates slowly leaving some nice sticky lacing

S: Hops, lots of citrusy, floral, piney and resiny hops. I can sense some sweet malts trying to escape, but they are being overpowered by the hops

T: Starts off with grapefruit, which then makes its way to some nice floral notes, followed by pineyness and orange zest. Some toasted maltiness is in the background, but it really takes a backseat to the hops. This is ridiculously bitter. Finishes with the grapefruit again, with a lingering bitterness afterwards. Very bitter, but still enjoyable

M: Medium bodied, with just enough carbonation. Goes down smooth, but leaves a bit of hop oil residue in the mouth, but i expected this

D: A bit of a challenge due to the hoppiness, but still enjoyable. I could have one or two of these but after a while, i think the hops would overbear

Overall, this is a great stone offering and great DIPA. This is definitely the most bitter beer I've ever had, but i quite thoroughly enjoyed it.

04-14-2010 00:51:27 | More by cdbooth219
Lunch

Maryland

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Served from a 22oz. bottle (1 month old) purchased at the Perfect Pour in Columbia, Maryland into my .5L Stone Ruination Mug at the appropriate temperature (04/01/10).

A: Pours nearly neon, dark, golden, yellow with 2 finger of an off-white head. Great retention and beautiful ringed lacing is left on the inside of the glass.

S: This is certainly a bitter DIPA with some mild citrus tones.

T: I love the bitterness that hits tongue immediately with some pleasant citrus tones. Just a hint of a caramel malt, but this one is all about the bitterness.

M: Medium-bodied with a slightly slick characteristic. Active carbonation and some intense bitterness.

D: Easy enough to drink, but the bitterness is pretty intense.

Overall this is a great bitter DIPA and one of my go to beers when I am in the mood for something really bitter. Recommended.

04-13-2010 16:13:35 | More by Lunch
adam42381

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into a wine goblet.

Appearance: Pours a lightly hazy, pale golden yellow with orange tones. Frothy white 1 finger head which dissipates fairly quickly but still leaves a foamy layer on top of the beer. Pretty good lacing throughout.

Smell: Mixture of hoppy pine and citrus rind.

Taste: Strong hoppy bitterness up front with hints of toasted malt. Definite hints of floral sweetness hiding beneath the bitterness. Bitter grapefruit rind finish. The flavor of the hops is definitely packed in. Bitterness is off the charts.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Fairly dry finish.

Drinkability: Great drinkability, especially for the hop heads out there.

Overall: An excellent IPA. This isn't the beer to start your IPA journey. This is one to seek out if you're a true hop head. You won't be disappointed.

04-13-2010 03:25:09 | More by adam42381
thecarster1

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

a- bomber poured into a snifter, full two fingers worth of bubbly tan head, hazy light amber coloring, lots of head clinging to the glass, awesome glass design.

s- great ipa nose, grapefruit, slick pine, slight toasty biscuit, some lemony notes.

t- sweet, tangy grapefruit forward, loads of bitterness lingers forever, makes my glands work! sappy pine notes, grapefruit rind bitterness, with some lemony notes rounding everything out.

m- medium bodied, lots of slickness, some coating. this is a really nicely textured dipa.

d- really high, this is one really tasty dipa that i will definately be drinking again. i thing the number of reviews says everything about this, my review is number 2,001!! top top notch dipa, great work again stone!

04-13-2010 02:21:27 | More by thecarster1
ghostee

3.28/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a pale amber with 2 fingers worth of creamy white head.

Smells of citrusy hops, grapefuit

Taste is of strong citrus and floral hops. The hops leave a bitterness in the mouth. Leaves an odd aftertaste after the first few sips. Not very complex, and lacks character.

Mouthfeel is average. A medium body, medium carbonation, that bites the tongue a bit. Finishes dry.

Drinkability is average. It's not a hard beer to drink considering the ABV. I still wouldn't follow this bomber up with another one.

Overall, this beer doesn't do it for me nearly as much as I had hoped. I had high hopes considering Stone just came into Chicago, and after reading the reviews and trying Arrogant Bastard, I was ready to be wowed. It's not bad, it's just not great. I did get "used" to it the more I drank, which made it slightly more enjoyable. Not something I'd buy again.

04-12-2010 00:04:47 | More by ghostee
Byeast

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Appearance: a slightly pale and gold with some orange tone, slight cloudy quality, an overall bright appearance, the head starts as a solid half inch of bright white foam then quickly diminishes to a soapy thin layer atop the brew. This layer slides down the glass after each sip,slick lace.

Smell: Lots of hop aromas, grapefruit rind, lightly soapy and oily hop, some sweeter aromas underneath the strong hops, some alcohol, hint of peach and a slight bit of sweet bready malt. Inviting.

Taste: Smacks of hops! Raw and oily citric hop flavor abounds, just loads and loads of hops in my mouth! Bitter for sure but delightfully so, showcasing the flavor of an onslaught of hops. The malt is there though, providing just enough buttery malt background. But balanced is not the word i would use, the hops have definitely tipped the scale, in fact the scale fell over from all of the wonderful hops crammed into this beer. There are subtle tones of fruity citrus- grapefruit and tangerine, and a bit of warm alcohol. The flavor linger in the mouth for ages. A hophead treat.

Mouthfeel: nice carbonation, slick and slightly creamy feel.

Drinkability: Now, this is not a beer i would recommend to someone who is new to ipa's. I think only those who enjoy a good hop kick now and then would like it. I think it great, but as the name and description warns, it will ruin your palate for a little while, like a hop punch to the mouth.

04-10-2010 23:10:27 | More by Byeast
Spider889

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

I had been wanting to try this beer for a while, and finally decided to pony up for it at a bar.

Poured into a pint glass, nice light amber color, decent head with minimal to no real lacing.

The first thing I really took in was the smell. There were beautiful aromas of sweet flowers and deep complex hops.

This was a very tasty beer, but the flavor was not as complex as the smell I felt. Very strong and up-front hop bitterness with a light fruit sweetness on the finish.

I'd score the beer higher for drinkability but I don't think I could drink more than one bottle in a sitting, and as the beer warmed up the bitterness slowly grew overpowering.

04-09-2010 19:17:48 | More by Spider889
coryking

Missouri

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

22 oz bomber poured half into a Guinness glass.

Poured a beautiful pale orange/straw color. A little hazy, maybe unfiltered. No sediment in the bottle. Awesome rocky, foamy head, retention was OK, but did leave awesome lacing on the glass.

Smells awesome! Very different than Pliny or Blind Pig. I was expecting all of these west coast IPAs to kind of follow suit with each other. Some citrus in there with a surprisingly strong biscuity malt backbone. Very nicely balanced. The more I sniff, the more I start getting some earthly piney hops. As it warms the alcohol starts coming through in the nose as well.

Its a medium body brew with a tiny amount of residual sweetness left at the end and a nice malty character. Oddly, not what I was expecting, the first thing you notice in the taste is the malt, then the hops coming racing in a overpower everything. The first hops that I taste are the citrus and piney hops together in a great balance. Then the bitterness jumps in. It tastes like orange rind maybe, with a lot of earthiness. Nice carbonation for the style. As it warms, the bitterness progresses. Nice and dry on the finish with a great malty backbone balanced by the bitterness.

Overall a great brew! For an IIPA this hits the spot. Drinkability is crazy good. Dangerous brew. I burned through the 22 ozer pretty easily. Would be fantastic to pair with some food. Very, very impressed. Unlike anything that I have ever had before, the balance is crazy amazing.

Outstanding, epic beer. Balanced, balanced, balanced. Obviously a hop bomb, but the crafting of the grain bill and malt character of this beer shows the love and care that the brewers put into it. If this was available in Missouri, this would find a nice home in our fridge. Going to be the traditional American style IIPA that I compare all others of the same style to...

04-08-2010 02:29:58 | More by coryking
fropones

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Tasted 02/2010

A - Pours a yellowish orange with one finger white head.

S - Nice tropical fruits from the hops with a hint of malt and toffee.

T - Nice balance between malt and hops. Malt makes a nice sweetness to balance the hoppiness.

M - Nice carbonation. Biting, but creamy. Medium full body.

D - Well for 7.7%.

04-08-2010 01:47:51 | More by fropones
Flashsp2

New Mexico

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Ruination bomber into snifter

Clear medium gold/orange with a creamy two finger head of offwhite color. Solid retention and sticky lace sheeting.

Aroma of resinous pine, grapefruit rind, tropical fruits, tangerine. I remember this being a bit more pungent, maybe it needs to warm slightly.

The first thing that hits the palette is soft malt sweetness, which is then followed by a huge hop onslaught. Big and pungent with salty hop leaf, grapefruit rind, underripe navel oranges, lots of pine sap. A lingering orangey-bitterness that drags its way through the back of the palette.

Medium body with a slick feel and a low level carbonation. Fits well, nothing to brag about I suppose.

This is supposed to be the monster-of-all DIPAs, and as such it drinks pretty easily. I have to say though, I have many DIPAs, IPAs, and even Barleywines that are way more hop forward in terms of hop character and raw bitterness. This bottle is fresh too, so it's not as if I had a old sample or anything. I guess this beer, for me, doesn't live up to the hype. Not bad by any means, but certainly not that great. More intensity is in order for this to be a truly amazing beer

--Update--
Got another bottle courtesy of the wife, and it's just like it's supposed to be. Boozy, resinous, massive grapefruit and pungent citrus peel hoppy glory. This is the Ruination that I remember: great stuff.

04-06-2010 16:18:24 | More by Flashsp2
weatherdog

3.38/5  rDev -21.4%

On tap at Brixies in Brookfield IL served in a 10oz. snifter. This was my first local Stone beer purchase since they came to Chicago a few days ago.

It pours a hazy amber with a dense head and just a touch of lacing that clung to the glass.

The nose was just an absolute explosion of piny resinous hops. A little bit of orange citrus sneaks in there as well at the end. Its a huge noseful of hops and as the name suggests this is probably going to be an assault on my mouth.

First and foremost an overwhelming spicy type bitterness hits me and doesn't let go until well after I had finished the beer. The flavor of the bitterness is piny and grassy and seems as if I had extracted pure alpha acids and mixed it with some tre sap. Make no mistake this is the most one sided DIPA I've ever had and doesn't even attempt any sense of putting some malt flavor in the beer. While I don't fault that approach on principle this example lacks the cohesiveness I've found in other similar beers. In addition to the hop flavors, a fair amount of alcohol taste was present. This was surprising at only 7.7% ABV and I'm sure a pound of hops per bottle and it didn't make for a better taste.

The redeeming feature in this beer was the mouthfeel. The beer was full bodied with a nice creamy mouthfeel and a perfect amount of carb in order to put forth an effort to rid my mouth of the pure bitterness.

Drinkability was average at best but not all of that was attributed to the insane bitterness. The alcohol presence was just off putting.

I can appreciate this beer for what it claims to be, an utter assault on your palette, but i just don't see what the long term appeal to this beer is. I guess I just prefer my DIPA's with less bitterness and a better hop taste.

04-06-2010 07:15:39 | More by weatherdog
bigfnjoe

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A- Pours a cloudy light yellow with a very thin white head. Head fades quickly, nice lacing.

S- Pretty hoppy...mostly grapefruits, though I'm getting some pine.

T- Very, very hoppy. Theres something I can't put my finger on...almost like an oat characteristic? Its an interesting twist, adds another new level to things

M- Its really heavy for an IPA. Very thick. Its...interesting, thats for sure. Not sure if I enjoy it or not though.

D- I couldn't see myself drinking more than one or two in an evening. Its just so hoppy. I'm not saying its too strong or anything like that...but god, the flavor is overwhelming. Its like an attack on your taste buds

04-06-2010 00:14:35 | More by bigfnjoe
phiberoptik

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%

How fitting that I have my most hop happy experience on Easter...

I must say that if this beer was a cologne I would wear it just to smell myself. Very clean, citrus/pine smell that never gets old. I treated this beer like a fine wine and inhaled before every sip.

I must say, at first taste, the name and story on the bottle isn't just a marketing gimmick. The chips I was snacking on tasted like cardboard after having this ruin my pallate. The hoppiness is up front smacking you in the face waking you up. Citrus notes in the taste as well.

For the amount of intensity and hoppy bitterness, this beer is relatively easy to drink and I found myself enjoying the bomber faster than I had planned as I felt a bit of the alcohol, which I try to avoid. It does give a bit of a sting on the tongue but nothing uncomfortable and something I expect from a beer of this potency.

This wont be my staple beer as its a bit intense, but this is completely an indulgence beer to anticipate and enjoy from time to time. I cant keep it in the house though because I might find myself sleep walking to get it every night.

04-05-2010 13:29:06 | More by phiberoptik
hosehead83

4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into an "Arrogant Bastard" pint glass
Honey-gold in color with a nice, eggshell-white head of foam
Aroma-Fresh, aromatic citrussy, piney hops
Taste-Full on piney, citrussy hops, but not overly bitter. Wonderfully balanced with fresh hop and citrus flavor and an underlying hop bitterness that follows you to the finish.
Overall, dynamic, full of flavor and character, Stone Ruination is delicious and verges on the sessionable in its drinkability for being a DIPA.
Hop-heads: Run, don't walk to get this brew if you have never tried it. Get Some!!

04-04-2010 22:47:33 | More by hosehead83
thatsright

4.6/5  rDev +7%

This beer is light and cloudy when poured, with a little head that doesn't stay around too long.

The smell is fruity, bready, and somewhat floral.

The taste is exceptional, with a substantial amount of hops but not much bittering, only enough to balance out the high ABV and maltiness.

This is an unfiltered beer, with a full mouthfeel, sweet up front and a little dry at the end.

Way too drinkable given the ABV.... one of my favorites

04-04-2010 19:09:13 | More by thatsright
KickInTheChalice

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

On tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: Deep, slightly hazy, golden color with a thick white head that reluctantly recedes, leaving sticky lace down the glass.

Smell: So sick. Hoppity hops on the nose. Floral, citrus, and earthy hop aromas all combine to create a fantastic smell. The grapefruit citrus aroma seems to be the most prominent. Pale malt sweetness is also present.

Taste: How they squeeze over 100 IBU's into this monster is a secret I cannot unravel. It actually starts off a little bit soft, with some pale malt sugar dripping some sweetness over the strong citrus flavor. Almost immediately, however, the hops establish dominance and do not let go. The different hop flavors - pine, citrus, and floral, all combine to add flavor without becoming overwhelmingly bitter. That is not to say this is not a huge beer. It beat my taste buds into a numbed submission, and I felt the bitter taste in my mouth fifteen minutes after finishing it. The alcohol only appears as a mild reminder of what a strong beer you are drinking toward the end of the sip.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, above average carbonation. Surprisingly smooth.

Drinkability: Numbing your mouth is a double edged sword. Nothing else tastes the same, so you may as well have another Ruination.

04-04-2010 17:09:54 | More by KickInTheChalice
BlackBearForge

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Stone Ruination pours a pale golden copper, slightly cloudy, with a nice thick white head that leaves copious amounts of lacing as it subsides.

The aroma is full of hop goodness, very citrusy (grapefruit, orange and lemons) and somewhat sweet from the malts.

Sugar sprinkled ripe ruby grapefruit, orange, lemon leap out from the flavor with a strong pale malt backbone backing things up while hanging out in the background. Piney and resinous hop flavors twine around the citrus in equal amounts as well. There is bitterness in plenty but mostly in the finish and is not overpowering. Alcohol is nearly invisible and mostly tasted as a warming on the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium and creamy with nicely done carbonation that combines with the alcohol to tease the palate as a warming tingle.

For a huge beer Ruination is very drinkable, I could easily sit here and down it in gulps when it should probably be sipped. Very nicely done!

04-03-2010 22:55:05 | More by BlackBearForge
Chico1985

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle to a snifter. Pours a nice orange, great fluffy white head which looks great the whole time. Lots of carbonation bubbles. The snifter I'm using usually is pretty resistant to lacing, but Ruination manages to leave nice webs of it. Near perfect-looking for an IPA. Incredible grapefruit scent bursts through right upon opening the bottle. Citrus and pine hide behind it. Oh, and hops, hops, hops.The smell says "you're about to be assaulted by hops". But alas, the taste isn't quite as hoppy as the nose and labeled 100+ IBU's would hint towards. I have had this a few times before and remember it being a bit more intense. I'm getting a big caramel/biscuit malt taste reminiscent of Stone's regular IPA. Tingly, bitter hops and grapefruit taste as it goes down. Tiny bite from the booze pops up now and then but mostly stays very hidden. A bit boozier in the finish. Mouthfeel is great and creamy, carbonation is perfect. Drinkability is very close to a 4.5, however I chose to give it a 4 mostly because this is very heavy, not sure I'd want to have more than one of these. Also the price is high, if this was a couple bucks cheaper for a 6-pack I'd buy it often. Yes, this does seem a bit like Stone IPA on steroids, but what damn fine steroids those are. Maybe my favorite Double IPA so far, that is, until a certain Elder arrives at my door...

Edit - I liked Ruination more than PtE, lolz.

04-02-2010 11:51:19 | More by Chico1985
jpmclaug

South Carolina

3.93/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured from a growler into my Duvel Tulip (Growler from Greens on Piney Grove Columbia, SC)

A - Glowing orange-amber with a big off white head, lots of bubbles run up the side of the glass, above average amount of lacing sticking to the glass

S - Rather mild nose. Strong lemon smell with hints of sweet malt.

T - Piney hops dominant the flavor. A hint of sweetness when it first hits my tongue but that gives way to a lingering piney bitterness.

M - Well carbonated with a medium body

D - Not a real hard one to drink but I'm not the biggest fan of piney DIPA's. I think this one might not taste as good thanks to the growler of Coast's Boy King DIPA that graced my tongue recently.

Serving type: growler

03-30-2010 01:18:20 | More by jpmclaug
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.