1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
4.47/5  rDev +4%

Draft to brand specialty glass. On draft is a whole new ball game!!! The only complaint I have about this beer (on draft) is that it's defined (and priced) as a double...and it's 7.7%. Could be the best IPA ever, but it's a damn good double that has the alcohol content of a high-end single. But damn tasty!

b3shine, Apr 11, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -4%

Pours a golden orange color, a little hazy with a 1" white head with decent retention. Smell is mostly hoppy, the citrus hops are coming through really strong. I think I smell a bit of malt, but my sniffer don't work to well. Upon first sip; the hops come in hard and fast, I am getting citrus and pine. Definitely a good west coast hip bomb, I'm loving this. I don't think I caught much malt in there, but I could care less considering the full scale hop assault in my mouth. Mouthfeel is decent, usually if I don't really notice the mouthfeel, it means it's just right. Overall, if you love IPAs and feel like getting punched in the mouth with a fistful of hops, this is a beer for you.

gkunkle, Apr 11, 2011

Pours a beautiful golden color, looks like an IPA should look, very summer like. It's pretty cloudy, there is almost no visibility through the beer at all. The head looks really nice, it's very creamy looking, lots of small bubbles. I want to give this a 4.5 on appearance, but the head already faded a little bit, it's sticking around at about a half finger length. It for sure smells like a double IPA, the hops just punish you up front on the nose, and then there is a nice citrus smell, maybe some tangy fruit in here as well, but I'm not the best at detecting fruit in IPA'S so I'm not sure. Overall the smell is really really good, it doesn't seem like it's skimping out at all on the taste, which I'm sadly finding more and more common these days in IPA'S. Well the first thing I notice on the taste is that there is no hop crispness, this beer is not crisp at all, which is very disappointing. I mean you can tell the hops are there because of the bitterness, but there is no crispness, which is very strange for a big hoppy beer. Also, the order of things are mixed up, the malt comes first, and then the hop bitterness, I'm a little confused here. It's by no means a bad beer, they did a good job, it's a quality beer, just a little strange. It really is a good beer, so I have a hard time grading this below a 4 on taste, part of me wants to, but I know that it deserves a 4. As far as mouthfeel goes, it's pretty standard for an IPA, nothing disappointing there. As for drinkability, on some tastes you can notice the alcohol more than others, but for the most part it is pretty subdued and is somewhat easy to put back considering it's an IPA. Overall a good beer, it's not the best IPA I've had, it's a little weak in some areas, but it's a solid brew.

MaltsOfGlory, Apr 11, 2011
4.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A- a golden orange, really nice looking beer.

S- this beer promises an assault on the senses and it delivers. This is not for the casual beer fan. My nasal passages cleared and for a second I thought I could see into the future. This beer smells exactly like an ipa should.

T- I feel like I've been hit in the face with a burlap sack full of hops and I love it. I'll warn you again, it you don't love ipa's then stay away from this beer. If you drink an entire 6 pack of this beer your first born will most likely enter this world with hop breath.

M- This beer engulfs your mouth in hop flavor. I could find nothing wrong with the mouthfeel despite the fact that I think this stuff could probably be used as paint thinner.

O- overall this beer is very close to ideal for the style. It is overhopped to the extreme and should only be handled by professionals. The ABV tends to signify an ipa while the hop profile leans heavily towards a double. This conflict brings down the score slightly based on style. Outside of that, this is another great beer from the hop geniuses at Stone.

jables7, Apr 10, 2011
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours out a cloudy orange with a tall white head that has nice lacing and very very good retention. It also has moderate carbonation. It has a nice aroma of citrus, earthy hops, biscuits, and pine. The taste is a pleasant taste of earthy hops, pine, followed by some floral hops and finishes off with some citrus and honey. The aftertaste has some orange and grapefruit in it. I do like the creamy smooth mouthfeel that is like heaven on the tongue and cheeks. This beer reminds me a lot of Bell's HopSlam Ale and I think both are worth trying for all you hop lovers out there.

DannyDan, Apr 10, 2011
4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a cloudy golden-orange with a big, fluffy off-white head with supreme retention and lace.

Nose is a nice mix of apricot pit and biscuit malt with tons of leafy hop tones and other hints of vanilla and orange blossom honey.

The mouth has a small core of creamy caramel malt surrounded by a gigantic oily, bitter hoppiness. Chiming in further are wonderful complexities- moderate resin, citrussy flavors, a peppery alcohol and intense earthiness- leaving more flavors of grapefruit and cloves lingering on the long finish.

Wonderful execution. Seems to have more bitterness than the regular Stone IPA but still an incredibly smooth brew.

TheWhiskerReview, Apr 09, 2011
4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

A - Pours golden and setlles to a more orange-ish hue. A lively white foam completes the pour.

S - Scents of fruit (pineapple, apricot) are present. Not nearly as piney or hoppy as other DIPA's.

T - Much more mellow than other imperial IPA's. This is more sweet with fruit than hoppy. It certainly stands out.

M - About as good as it gets with a smooth finish, a well masked ABV, and a well balanced sweetness to bitter. Easily could drink many of these.

O - I'd seek this out again. Maybe not a top tier DIPA but Stone has made another quality ale.

socon67, Apr 08, 2011
4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

while not my favorite style of beer, i think i found the one that will turn me into an ipa drinker. poured a nice golden color with a 2 finger head. the smell was a bouquet of hoppy floral, citrus, perfumy deliciousness. went down smooth with a dry finish, yet not as bitter as i expected with 100 IBU's. definatly recommend to friends and will most certainly buy again.

match1112, Apr 08, 2011
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured into wheat beer glass
a-the color of pure honey with a big frothy head that lasted forever
s-pleasant citrus aromas flood the nose
t-dam good,sweet like the candy raspberries at christmas time with grapefruit note present.one of the best ipa's ive had
m-wonderfull
overall-excellent beverage,my fav ipa so far,will defenitly do this one again!!

jjjeremy, Apr 07, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -7.4%

A- Great IPA look. Its a hazy orange with a nice creamy white head. very small bubbles comming from the bottom of my tumbler.

S- Smells kind of like the regular IPA, lots of citus fresh ops and some pine. Love Stone IPAs and i am excited about this one.

T- Wow okay very nice. Takes a while to dissect these flavors.. The hops come in strong and up front. The flavors just lay back and chill on your tongue as your whole mouth drys out. The orange citrus flavors are in the background along with some pine. Main this in this beer is opviously hops, and more hops. Not to shabby. Its a good flavor but i was expecting it a little better, but i wont complain because at 100 IBUS this is still a great drinking IPA.

M- Dry, very powerful hop flavor, pine lingers a little.. Not the best mouth feel.

I was very excited about this beer, and i still like it. I dont know if i over hyped this one but it wasnt as good as i was expecting.

However, its still a great brew by Stone and bold of them to put a 100 IBU beer on the market.. Good job Stone

JesteR14, Apr 07, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -4%

Bomber poured into my Stone pint glass
*Enjoy by Date: 06/12/11

-Finally putting some pen to paper on this brew after years of enjoying this fine elixir. I saw $6 bombers at Vons and just couldn't resist for that price point these days. Besides, despite all of the numerous reviews before mine I am voicing my opinion because last time I checked this was America! And we are all winners in the craft brew game. So here we go...

A: Pours a very clear golden-straw pale coloured hue with a lumpy off-white foam cap that struggles to hold together. Lacing spiderwebbed down my glass nicely.

S: Smell is of big bright fresh candy fruit hop aromas. Akin to the aftersmell of biting into a fresh picked apricot or nectarine. Only after the beer melows does it start to sweeten with some caramel malt notes.

T: Puckering across the palate with great fruity hops and resinous pine flavors. Rounds out nicely with some soft n sweet caramel malt notes. Slightly warming going down, the alcohol definitely makes an appearance here. Picking up some very clean but distinct yeast flavors. Finishes quite nicely and somewhat dry from all the bitters here.

M: Is punchy a mouthfeel quality? Overall slightly sticky which coats the tongue nicely.
Actually very light for such a big hoppy brew.

D: I would say if you are a hophead drinkability is superb by DIPA standards. ABV's are present but not overbearing. IBU's are in full effect so take heed as the label cautions if that is just not your thing.

A liquid poem to the glory of the hop! Probably my favorite brew in all of Stone's lineup...now if only it weren't so damn expensive!

Nugganooch, Apr 06, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -8.6%

Drink by date 4/11/11

Light,clear orange with nice thick,creamy white head,leaving equally thick creamy,white lacing. Very good.

Nice hoppy scents, with good noticeable caramel malt in background. Actually, the sweetness and malt beat the hops on the nose. Good,but underwhelming. I've smelled more intense IPA,let alone Double IPA aromas.

Hops do the bite the tongue quite sharply,but not as intensely as I was hoping,and as a previous reviewer stated, the flavors are not there to match. Nice lingering after effect on the palate. Body is shockingly thin/light for a supposed double/imperial IPA, ditto with the ABV.

Very good, but for a double/imperial ipa, it could most definitely be a lot better. More intensity in hops, a better body,maybe some more balance with malt could bring improvements. As a regular IPA, it rocks with the best of them.

happy4hoppybeer, Apr 05, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

Re-review now that Stone is in MN and I have a 3 week old bomber for 6.50 in my hands.

Pours a golden yellow, no haze. No sediment in bottle. Small white head. Pretty clear.

Smell is underwhelming. A little pine. A little citrus. Earth/grass, more than I hoped for. I've smelled better IPAs. Not drawing me in.

Smooth, bitter, medium to light body and very, very hoppy. This is not a balanced beer. It's all about the hops and the bitterness. Actually, one of the hoppiest beers I've had, but the flavors weren't there to match. Needed more richness and depth to be top shelf. Earth and grass fight with the citrus and pine. Finishes dry.

I appreciate it for what it is. Hops and little else. Hop bombs, however, don't have to be a bitter one trick pony. This is a one trick pony.

I like their IPA better, and the double dry hopped IPA I had on tap during "Stone Week in MN" was absolutey top drawer.

caskstrength, Apr 05, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from 22 oz. bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Deep golden orange. Nice white head with decent retention and lacing.

Smell: Big floral hops with citrus and grapefruit aroma. Also has a hint of malt and honey.

Taste: Big citrus hops with grapefruit. Fruity and somewhat dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium carbonation. Feels pretty light for a double IPA.

Overall: A good version of an IPA even though it is on the lighter side of DIPA's, both in the mouthfeel and ABV.

MattyG85, Apr 05, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

This beer has not been reviewed enough, because 2,400+ reviews is barely a sample set. My review will validate this beers existence on the computer.

My barely adequate olfactory organs sense, nay feel, pine cones. Like huffing green pine cones. Not brown pine cones, green pine cones. I might have tasted a peach or a nectarine or an apricot or a plum or a pear and a green pine cone. Bubbles? Check. Bitter? Roger that. Fantastic? Of course.

When I swallow it, it goes right down. Right down into my tummy. It tries to hang onto my tongue, but it still goes down. But it's also like it leaves behind its essence, a bit of its being on my t-buds. Like it's in two places at once: my tummy and bitterly on my tongue. I'm pretty sure it's a super position.

In conclusion...I am the sample set.

specksnreds, Apr 04, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

Pours into a glass chalace a clear honey color with a solid head of off-white foam. Stone beers always impress me with how well constructed they are in this regard. Skunky, floral hops on the edges of the glass with notes of malt coming from the middle. Bitter hops dominate the palate with floral pine and grapefruit notes not far behind. Dense but not heavy in mouthfeel with the bitter hops leaving the edges of the tongue tingling.

Overall, it's a bright, bold and bitter double IPA that's not overpower and, ultimately, drinkable.

ActualAir, Apr 04, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

I've been craving this beer, but my usual store only had bottles past best by date. I finally found a bomber at a different store with an acceptable amount of time left. Well, it pours a hazy, golden color, with a smallish head. The smell is your typical pine, with light citrus that you expect in a DIPA. The taste for me is more resinous pine than citrus. Jacked up bitterness, which I love in an IPA, double or otherwise. It doesn't have that malty balance that other DIPAs usually have, which, in this case, is fine with me. The mouthfeel is less creamy than I expected. Very good overall. I dig most Stone beers and this one is no exception.

DrStiffington, Apr 03, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

Today Sietse (apophis666) paid me a visit. He loves the IPA beers so i cracked a few open. I got this bottle in a trade with listenatjoes.

This beer is not my style to be honest and this beer was an exeption (happy!!).

This beer has a light citrus taste ans there is some creamyness. There is no real bitter aftertaste and that makes this beer a good one for a non IPA lover.

Brabander, Apr 03, 2011
2.95/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Aromas of a boat ton of citrus and grapefruit hoppiness. Underlying light pale malt sweetness beneath the hops.
The taste is big big citrusy hops upfront along with lots of bitterness; extremely dry finish. Citrus returns in the aftertaste along with some lesser grapefruit and some sticky pine as well.
The mouthfeel is medium bodied with average carbonation. This brew really dries out the mouth; I need a pretzel to clean my palate after this hop monster.
Overall this beer is just too resiny and bitter with zero malt backbone that I just can't get into. It literally ruins your palate as it promises and I appreciate the purpose but this is over the top. Some may like this but I am not one of them.

claspada, Apr 01, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured from a 22 in Blythe, CA. Tasted fresh and such a nice sharp hop flavor.
A - nice golden, orangy hue. two finger head that fades quickly. nothing notable.
S - a little lite on aroma out of the bottle, subtle hints of malt, sweet hops
T - sweet touch to the string of the hops. lots of bitterness but balanced nicely with the malt. all around nicely balanced.
M - carbonation is pleasant, maybe a touch light.
O - really nice IPA with a pleasant balance to this 100+ IBU beer. Nicely done and a really drinkable brew.

lechroy, Apr 01, 2011
1.5/5  rDev -65.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

I have to start out saying this is probably my least favorite style of beer so hop lovers can likely disregard my ratings. I am one of those people that is really sensitive to bitter tastes so it is not a surprise that I wouldn't be a big fan of this style.

A-Clear with orange amber appearance, weak head

S-Oh shit, this one is going to stick with me. Welcome to hopland!

T-Yep hop bomb, 10 minutes later it's still there, bitter, grapefruit, astringent mouthdrying NW US hops. There might be some alcohol in there too-but it doesn't matter I'd have to choke down another drink.

M-Pine sap? Gross

D-I'd rather drink yak piss.

Tastes like other double IPAs I've tried except it's exceptionally lingering so I guess it's average for the style. If you like in your face hops-give this one a try. If you're not a hop bomb fan-I guess stay away like I normally do.

deebo, Apr 01, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Appearance: Pours a light orange glow

Head: Big frosty yellow head with a heavy lace

Smell: Big clean citric on the nose

Taste: Floral hops scream on my palate with bitters on the roof of my mouth

Weight: Quite light for a DIPA with a medium to low carbonation

Finish: Floral notes stick around for a long time next to a subtle heat and stickiness on the lips

Snow81, Mar 31, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

351st review on BA
Bottle to tulip
12oz bottle

App- Deep orange with striking yellow accents and a great two finger head.

Smell- Huge hops, very hop forward and strong citrus more orange vs. grapefruit.

Taste- This is just a palate wrecker. My tounge was done after this and this is why I saved it till last. Big hops and a matching bitterness make this a classic and even has a nice tangerine finish.

Mouth- Medium bodied with a medium carbonation and a dry hop finish. Just one of the most well finishes for a hop head.

Drink- I'll have this again. Just too good not to. A very good DIPA and the spicy, bold, dry hops are just a tounge overload but well worth it.

FosterJM, Mar 30, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Best by date of 5-3-11 on the bomber which I poured into my duvel tulip.

A--Bright orange with a little bit of cloudiness. I aggressively poured it and the bright white head was beautifully thick. With each sip, the beer retained on the walls of the glass. It was a very sticky retention.

S--Hops, hops, and then more hops! On another level there is sweet fruit, grapefruit and lemon. Then there comes a wave of pine which is either like an evergreen forest or freshly cut grass. Get a little bit of malt in it too.

T--Piney hops. The bitterness punches you in the face over and over again. Get a bit of grapefruit with each sip. I was drinking this while eating a lime cupcake and that really helped bring out the fruit in the beer. Love the taste.

M--Bit of carbonation in the tongue. Other than that, the tongue and the whole mouth just tastes bitter with the sips. Seriously,this is one of the bitterest drinks I have ever tasted.

O--I love hops, and I love bitter IPAs. This makes this beer perfect for me. If you are a hophead like myself, give this a try if you haven't. One of the best DIPA on the market

Mosley1212, Mar 29, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a hazy amber color into a snifter with only slight head and a small amount of lacing. The aroma is of flowers, citrus, and hops. It tastes of all of the above and very dry with a mouthfeel of dryness also. This has recently become one of my favorite DIPAs.

surprenant1138, Mar 28, 2011
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.