Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros

This is a mean mother of a beer. It pours so innocently with a beautiful golden color. Smells strongly of grapefruit and pine. Then you taste it. and it destroys your mouth in the best way possible. Pure hoppy goodness all around, but never so overpowering that you cannot drink it. Its one of those beers, that if you like hops, you have to drink again and again. And I do.

patobandito, Oct 18, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +3.5%

A - A huge moundy off-white head on top of a hazy amber brass body. Thick 3D lacing.

S - Wow! Intensely grassy hops bursting with citrus grapefruit and lemon oil. Lots of pine, fresh herbal earthiness. Hints of candy sweet malt lay in the background. The best smelling DIIPA I've ever smelled.

T - Assertive hops rush the palate. Fresh pine needles, grapefruit rind, lemon pith, fresh cut grass, fresh cut mint leaves. Caramel malt bleeds through the bouquet of hops. Aftertaste is mouth coating grapefruit.

M - Moderate carbonation, medium bodied that finishes crisp and dry.

This is a citrus hopfest. Although it's not as harsh or bitter than I thought it would be. It's actually very tasty. The nose is glorious! The hop profile is very flavorful and the malt does it's job. Too bad it's so expensive.

StaveHooks, Oct 18, 2010
4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

Single 12oz bottle (no date) poured into a milkshake pilsner glass.

Appearance: Translucent and hazy golden orange color. White thick foam across the top of the beer with lots of lacing (strands and walls of it) all over the place. Truly a nice beer to look at.

Smell: Of course very hoppy. Lots of grapefruit citrus, some pine-like smells, maybe some mango, and a hint of bergamot.

Taste: I can't say that this ruined my taste buds, but this is definitely a hop-forward beer as advertised. Strong pine/bergamot/grapefruit up front, mellowed out with some malt sweetness, then a sharp bitter finish with a lingering sour lemon bitter finish. It's quite the hop wallop, but it's well done.

Mouthfeel: Just enough carbonation on the tongue, maybe a bit oily as it leaves a sensation all over my teeth (probably all that hop oil). Still nice.

Drinkability: Definitely one for sipping, but I could not have more than one a night. It does after awhile leave me tasting nothing but hops (as forewarned) so I think some care would be needed in pairing this with a meal. Still - a pleasant experience and worth revisiting again.

damndirtyape, Oct 17, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

Note: I don't know how old this bottle was - it was dated to drink by 11/8/10 even though I just bought it 10/15/10. Maybe it takes a while to get to Wisconsin. Poured with a huge head that left a nice bit of lacing. This one is all about the hops, hops, and bitter hops. I really wish there was more of a malty backbone to this beer, it's not very well rounded. It's intense hops without much more going on here. I found it exteremely bitter and I prefer IPAs with more going on or a sweet hop character - I've become a bit of a hophead but don't go for a flatly bitter taste in my hops. This one had kind of a one dimensional hop quality of bitter. This may have something to do with an older sample but I found it to be good but uninspiring. I've had some really good IPAs in the last week Surly Wet, Mpls Town Hall Fresh Hop, Ballast Point Sculpin, Alpine Pure Hoppiness. This one was good but I didn't think it lived up to the hype or to those. I'd like to try this fresher to see if it was just that bottle. I'd try this again but won't go out of my way for it.

plumcrazyfx, Oct 17, 2010

I'm not going to go through a lot of hoops here.
I bought this beer based on a magazine review.,
Being a hophead i was hoping this was a decent beer but not that exceptional because it's a bit pricey.
But after taking my first sip it was simply the best beer i have ever had.
It's to hoppy for most of my friends so it does not even make it the beer fridge. It's only for me.
If you like Hops try this one. But be prepared to fall in love.

If there is a better hoppy beer out there please let me know. I would love to try it.

bud914, Oct 17, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The Ruination IPA is a beer that I have had quite a few times so I decided to finally review it.

(A) A nice mix between gold and brown. Poured a 2 finger head (I poured it that way) which was a pearl white color. Head retention was decent and left a slight lace as it was drank.

(S) Huge aroma on this one. Huge smell of earthy and citrus hops. I have never had a brew that had a smell that was this powerfull and amazing.

(T) Lets just say this one lives up to its name. powerfull flavor that is not for the weak at heart. Hops, Hops, Hops! I suggest being a Hophead before having this one.

(M) The weakest part of this beer and it is still great! A light to mild mouthfeel. I was hoping for a little lighter but is still awesome.

(D) Very drinkable! It does burn the palate though so if you are doing a beer tasting, save this one for last.

benyerd, Oct 16, 2010
4.3/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- golden brown, little head

S- somewhat piney, but wasn't the strongest of aroma

T- excellent!!! slightly better than their IPA, very similar in every way, but blended better, a much cleaner taste

M- terrific, low carbonation, light on the palete

D- very drinkable, enjoying it every sip

overall, great beer, would def buy again, very crisp, smooth, amazing beer

Pballa4lyfe, Oct 13, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

A: poured golden orange with yellow highlights that had a thin head and left a little lacing sticking to the glass.

S: citrus grspefruit and sweetness from the malts pop out first alongside floral hops and slight grassy notes.

T: The pine notes and hops were alot more potent on the taste than the nose with citrus grspefruit that helped out to push the bitterness on the palate but it did have a good slight caramel sweet presence from the malts to help on the balance.

M: the brew was medium body with a fair amount of carbonation which had a slight sweet, citric, piney, but bitter crisp finish.

D: it drank very good and was a decent interpretation of a west coast style IPA. For the most part Stone has sold offerings in the bitterness department.

Gobzilla, Oct 12, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

Appearance: mostly clear dull copper with a fluffy one-finger head of orangish-tan that collapses slowly, becoming a filmy, lingering top layer with extra heft in the ring. Random spatters of lace dot the glass as I drink.

Smell: pine, grapefruit, lemon, lime. Like the peels of all the best citrus fruits, squirted right into your face. In the background, the sweetness of honey and a tiny bit of caramel and pale malt.

Taste: heavily, heavily bitter. Grapefruit peel, pine needles, saltine crackers, lime juice, mint and a lingering pinecone-like flavor. The sweetness drops of completely, replaced by tongue-encompassing acridity. I feel like I'm mainlining IBUs.

Feel: a high, peppery carbonation assaults the tongue amidst the bitterness. Mildly fizzy, the beer expands a bit as it moves about the mouth. Medium-light in body.

Drink: a tasty IPA, but its drinkability is detracted by the sheer punishing quality of its hoppiness. I think about Ruination the way I think about a double-shot of vodka: I'm drinking this for a purpose, and it sure as hell isn't for the nuance.

Phelps, Oct 12, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours ever-so-slightly cloudy gold-bronze with a tight, bubbly, off-white foam that clings desperately to the sides of the glass.

Let's be honest. You bought this for the hops, and that's what you get in the nose. There might be some barley buried deep within, but what you smell is hop, pure and simple, in all its rich, bold, resiny, citrusy, floral goodness. There aren't any adjectives that haven't been used - it's just straight hop aroma and no apologies.

In the mouth, it's pretty medium, with a moderate carbonation that releases more and more hop onto the palate. There's a mineral bite in the back adding to the nose, as well as a wash of heavily hop-seasoned barley bread. Alcohol is surprisingly restrained, and the bitterness is pretty friendly for a brew with this IBU level. The finish is leafy and pleasant, inviting another sip.

You wouldn't want to drink a lot of these in a row, but you might be tempted if you're feeling in the mood for a nice cool carbonated spiked hop tea. This is a hard IIPA/DIPA to beat.

Melchizedek, Oct 12, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +5.8%

A hazy copper color with a finger and a half of white head super sticky lacing

S its.the grapefruit that keeps you coming back super floral just a great west coast ops nose

T massive tropical fruit right up front the bitterness remains in check the malt is there but they just let the hops shine

M medium body that drinks light but is still sticky

D a classic superb example of the style perhaps a little better in the bottle but still great

aerozeppl, Oct 11, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -9.3%

A: Light yellow, quite clear, huge lingering head with lots of lacing. Almost no visible carbonation.

S: A strong and complex mixture of hops and some spice. Really inviting overall.

T: Lots of hop bite, predominantly citrus and resin, some booze is noticeable but hardly at all. Bitterness has great staying power too, which leaves only after another sip. Surprisingly enjoyable.

M: Quite thin and with lower than expected carbonation. This puts the focus more on the awesome hop flavors and makes it more enjoyable overall.

D: Not the most drinkable beer, but far better than expected after reading the bottle. The light body and interesting complexity helps a lot. Still, it is hard to through something back with this much hops and alcohol.

thatguy3579, Oct 10, 2010
4.3/5  rDev 0%

Enjoyed on 10.10.10 (make a wish...) at JJ Brewsky's in Camarillo, CA. Served in an imperial pint glass.

A: A cloudy orange-yellow, not unlike a heavy cider. Thick and viscous. Barely able to sustain a single-finger head. Good, beefy lacing.

S: Hops well present. Powerful and dry with hints of malt. Smells like it'll be nicely balanced.

T: Well-balanced for an IPA. The finish in the middle of the tongue leaves a wonderful dry, and slightly sweet, malt flavor. Truly thoughtful mixture for a double.

M: Decent, refreshing carbonation on the front and sides of the tongue. Amazing drying finish. Nice, thick & chewy.

D: Great. I could drink this any time, any place.

ILikeGoodCider, Oct 10, 2010
4.3/5  rDev 0%

For the past few years I haven't been able to get myself to like Stone Brewing Co. I'd tried Levitation, Vertical Epic, and the ever popular Arrogant Bastard (and Double Bastard) and just haven't gotten what the fuss was about. None of those beers were particularly bad, but they didn't strike me as being as good as I could have got for the price. However, after putting down a six pack of Ruination this week I'm a believer. Hell, I'm even convinced now that some of the other Stone beers I had could have been past their prime or infected in some way.
Ruination is an excellent example of a west coast style IPA every step of the way. It pours an orange amber with ample foamy head. Smells of evergreen, bitter hops and citrus. Feels great in your mouth, complimentary carbonation, and well masked alcohol. I also highly appreciate the fact that you can get a six pack of ruination fairly readily.

msmezher, Oct 09, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

Kind of cloudy hazy light golden color.

Nice smell of hops and citrus.

Tastes great lots of hops in the front. Stay with you on the back of your tongue. Very nice.

Kind of light mouthfeel. Very drinkable. I could see myself drinking quite a few.

Lillenk, Oct 09, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

Stone Brewing Ruination India Pale Ale

Served at 53 degrees Fahrenheit.

Appearance: Amber-red, very small head with some lacing.

Smell: Strong floral and citrus.

Taste: Floral hops, strong citrus, and clove with a tangy bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-heavy and bitter.

Overall:
Tangy bitterness explains it. This is a strong flavored beer with a citrus aftertaste. It is a very nice IPA.

megahurts4, Oct 08, 2010

This one damn proud IPA. Where other beers would hide their hops behind sweet malt, Ruination merely doubles up on them. Consider this review an homage to the only IPA to truly get it right.

Nothing subtle going on here. My glass looks and smells like concentrated hop jizz just exploded all over it. I cannot honestly compare this to any sort of wimpy citrus or pine collaboration, it is an aroma all its own, a deep dank tangy bitterness running circles around every other IPA I've ever had.

Like I noted in the scent, there is something truly subterranean about this brew. Maybe I am drinking the product of some inhuman quasi-natural disaster? Perhaps the enlivened root system of an evil pine tree has taken hold of a grapefruit tree buried somewhere deep beneath a Chilean coal mine before it explodes and vaporizes all organic compounds in proximity? If it has, this is the acid rain of that explosion, and it tastes so good!

You know how when you go back in for that last little follow up sip of a beer and it's missing the *pow* that a deeper slug would give you? Yeah, this beer doesn't either. Every little drop is dripping with flavor, tongue-curling flavor.

So easily my favorite DIPA it's not even funny. This hop monster makes Pliny look like it hasn't even earned an I much less a D.

I guess it's true. I'm going nuts. Stone has won my heart. Those insensitive jerks!

(Bomber into snifter; golden orange; seafoam bone head.)

bohemiandonut, Oct 07, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -10.9%

Stone Ruination IPA has a cloudy orange colour. The head is decent but fades fast due to light carbonation. The smell is of citrussy hops (grapefruit) - very nice. This initial taste is of bitter grapefruit hops and fading into an aftertaste that is bitter and tangy.

vandemonian, Oct 06, 2010
4.28/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - This beer looks great. It practically glows orange in the light and is very hazy. About a finger of white foamy head forms when pouring, settles down to a nice film that coats the glass with good lacing.

S - Very hoppy, definitely getting strong pine resin smells with small hints of citrus and floral notes, primarily grapefruit. The hops are pretty strong, they smell fantastic.

T - More subdued than I thought, which I found surprising based on the strength of the hops in the smell. The best before date on the bottle is 07/08/10 which I didn't notice before, that is too bad since I suspect it has something to do with the diminished hoppiness.

That being said, the hops are still notable and blend nicely with the notes of grapefruit. The ABV is hidden very well, I don't taste a hint of alcohol despite it being a 7.7%.

M - The mouthfeel on this beer is great, I think that they got the carbonation just right. It has a medium body that is very smooth and feels excellent.

D - Very drinkable. The smoothness and lack of harsh tones means that I would gladly have many of these. That being said, I do believe that as I mentioned earlier my hops probably suffered as a result of being two months past the best before date.

I know that this drink deserves a higher taste rating, but until I get a fresher bottle I have to go with what I tasted, which was a great smooth beer with good tasting hops that tasted a little dated and diminished. I will gladly drink my 3 of these and update my rating later when I find a fresher bottle. Otherwise, solid 4.5's all around.

StarshipPoopers, Oct 05, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +5.8%

Holy hops, Batman! That was the expectation with this 100+ IBU touted IPA. What I found was a beer with strong hop presence nicely balanced by malt sweetness, making this a great choice for both hop-heads and non-hopheads alike. A nice consistent head and lacing, along with a pronounced floral nose, makes this a treat for all the senses. To me, what an IPA is all about.

RandyV, Oct 02, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter

A: pours a golden color with a tad bit of darker orange. 3 fingers of slightly off-white head with excellent retention and lacing.

S: Not nearly as intense of a smelling beer as I had anticipated. Some grapefruit and floral notes, but not much else.

T: Thankfully, this was way more flavorful than the nose would have let on. Although not as balanced as I would have liked. Some grapefruit and tangerines at the start, but by and large dominated by the bitterness at the finish. I don't bind a nice crisp bitter finish for a beer of this style, but this one was out of proportion and a bit overwhelming in my opinion.

M: Pretty good, though it could use a little less carbonation. Sits on the tongue well.

D: I probably won't have this again. That's not to say that it was terrible, just not nearly as good as other beers of this style.

glazeman, Sep 29, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +3%

A- A light yellow color look.

S- Smell of hops with citrus notes

T- Strong Citrus bite of the hops and light malts in the background.

M- Very dry and strong hop present and citrus notes linger through-out the sip.

D- Bold flavors and hop bite in this IPA. This one of my new favorites.

Cheers...

SamuelJackson45, Sep 29, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +4%

A- Cloudy golden with a thick off-white head, almost had a green tint as it came out of the bottle, good head retention.

S- Nice mix of hops on this, citrus hops are the dominate smell with a few other hop scents coming in, no malt to be found in the nose.

T- Pine hops hit first with the citrus hops coming out after, lots of bitterness makes for exactly what I desire from a DIPA. Some malt flavor is there but is difficult to note the style as the hops are powerful and demand your full attention when tasting.

M- Medium body and very smooth, not crisp by any means but i would also not consider this to be very "sticky" carbonation is in more of the middle range and works well with the beer.

D- Great beer, more drinkable than it should be, have to make myself not drink it too fast. Alcohol isn't noticeable with such high IBUs, could drink a few of these but a session out of it would make for a short night, this beer is just too drinkable to have more than one at a time.

Spiekerbox, Sep 28, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Nice thick head with lots of bubbles. Its a darker gold but definintly is a clear well brewed beer.

It is one of the most bitter IPA's Ive come across but it had a smoky malty flavor to off set the hops.

Ruination has nice body but the bitterness still jumps at you.

Its a great beer but I prefer Stones normal IPA even though it has less body but it has a crispness Ruination doesnt.

Still highly recommended!

Eriktheipaman, Sep 28, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Promising a full out assault on the palate, Stone's Ruination isn't short in the hype department. I was pleased to find this on the shelf (or, more accurately, in the cooler) as part of my haul from Denver. Stone is rapidly developing into my favorite beer on the planet, which kind of sucks as I'm stuck in land locked Kansas and a steady supply of stone just isn't readily available here.

The 22 ounce bottle has some great artwork and a wonderful description on the back. I really like the fact that Stone paints their bottles. I also like the gargoyle motif. I'm doing this one right, pouring it into my snifter. The beer pours a bright amber, like freshly changed fall leaves, with a big bubbly head that slowly dissipates. Pretty decent amount of lacing considering the ABV involved in this beer.

Aroma is wonderful, with a hefty amount of pine and resin. Holy cow. If I was rating this on smell alone it would probably be in the top 5, maybe top 3, of IPAs that I've smelled before.

The first sip gives you an idea of what kind of bitterness you're dealing with, with a searing bitterness that, yes, ruins your tongue. Mouthfeel is sturdy and well constructed, with just enough carbonation to do the trick. It's very sticky, though not syrupy. Again, well done. This is one of the hoppiest beers that I've had in my life, yet it's never overwhelming thanks to the fabulous malt profile. There's an incredible sweetness that comes out as your palate adjusts. It's a neat trick. It's sweet, but not too much so. Kind of tastes like glazed donuts chased by dank pine.

Trying to catalog the hop profile itself is kind of a fool's errand. Aside from the aforementioned pine, there's this thick grass note that comes to the forefront the more you drink it. Surprisingly, the hops aren't as scratchy as I expected them to be, though the dry hopping really takes the beer over the top. I also really like the lingering finish to this beer.

Overall Ruination lives up to it's namesake, and the only complaint I have is that it's not readily available to me here in Kansas. Very solid example of the double IPA style, and yet another in a long line of incredible Stone beers.

eclaycamp, Sep 26, 2010
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.