Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

pDev: 10%
Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
blackearth

3.05/5  rDev -29.1%

Purchased from Ray's Liquors in Wauwatosa, WI. Poured a very bright, light gold body with not much foam at all. Could this be an old bottle? I see sediment in the bottle... Aroma is great -- fruity and citrusy hops. Medium bodied, this beer blasts you with hops up front which then linger on the sides of the tongue. Spicy bitterness that is on the end of the spectrum that I don't like. Warming alcohol feeling in the finish. I won't be trying this again unless I see it at a tasting where I might get a sampling that is more fresh.

08-11-2009 01:40:33 | More by blackearth
natelocc787

4.3/5  rDev 0%

This beer is a hop bomb. We all know that. But a good beer should taste good. This one does but it doesn't taste great. Either too hoppy or unbalanced this beer seems like the "cool" pick. Like if you are a true hophead then you have to like it. Sorry I'm a leader-not a follower. Here is the scoop:

A-I pored in a Young's pint glass. I could see halfway through the pour there would be no head to I started splashing this beer. Still was left with a very disappointing little head. One finger. Once the glass was half gone you could see lacing-barely. Not good in my book. The Stone IPA has a MUCH better appearance.

N-Incredible despite the lack of foam. Piney, very floral, grapefruit and tangerine, pine sap and fresh pineapple leaf. Very thorough, hoppy aroma. Amazing pungency.

T-Too hoppy. I love hops and double/imperial IPA's. This is no doubt a good beer and well crafted. It's just too unbalanced. I'm not a hop pussy by any means, I am a true hophead. Why not just steep some hops and then drink it? Cuz it would taste like shit! However this is a good beer it just has an overpowering hop flavor.

Pinecone, hops, hops and more hops, pungent white grapefruit, spice, jasmine, honey, unripened mandarin, freshly cut grass and pine sap.

M-Good but again-not great. Bubbly, semi-thick and potent. I look for a more crisp, syrupy balance in Double IPA's. Still though-pretty good.

D-Not the best. A beer that overpowers your palate such as this one isn't the type I would like to drink many of. A better balanced beer scores higher in this category.

It's worth a try but unlike the Hop Stoopid (twice a month), this is one I may drink twice a year.

08-10-2009 02:45:22 | More by natelocc787
slk22

Maryland

3.58/5  rDev -16.7%

Pours a honey color, slightly cloudy, with a cream colored head that showed moderate retention. Aroma was of moderate strength and seemed simple and straightforward consisting of a orange and grapefruit citrus hop presence. Taste was sweet upfront with a noticeable orange citrus flavor and hints of honey. Hop bitterness comes through very strongly on the finish, lingering through to the next sip. Bitterness was a bit much for my taste in this style. Mouthfeel was smooth and pleasant for this medium bodied offering. Overall, this beer was enjoyable and relatively easy drinking.

08-09-2009 20:40:17 | More by slk22
CosmoHopHead

Kansas

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

A: pours a beautiful dark orange color with a nice one inch white fluffy head

S: smells bitter, citrusy and wonderful. like pungent west coast hops.

T: oh the taste. yummy! super bitter hoppiness with a heavy citrus/grapefruit linger.

M: feels oily with medium carbonation. makes my tongue tingle and my cheeks pucker a little

D: At 7.7%abv I could easily drink several of these with no problem. My mouth might take a while to recover but it would be worth it!

Would absolutely recommend every hophead try!

08-08-2009 23:22:06 | More by CosmoHopHead
mtnbikerpa

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a bomber bottle into my tanker mug (32oz). The head and foam looked like it came off a coffee drink about an inch and a half high. Sticks to the glass. Just by smell I can tell it is a hop bomb and that is putting it mildly. Citrus, pineapple along with the earthy, woodsy, piney flavors prevail. Very smooth mouthfeel but the alcohol is very hidden although it is relaxing to drink.

08-08-2009 19:03:29 | More by mtnbikerpa
nomomentwasted

Oregon

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

Had this on cask today at Stone after having had it out of the taps at Stone a few times and out of a bottle many more times. My friend's first legal brew as today's his 21. Not a bad way to start, lads.

Appearance: Minimal head, as tends to happen from the cask, and carbonation looked low from the get-go. But a brilliant orange-brown hue that laced decently for a cask beer.

Smell: Not as incredibly hoppy as its brethren in other forms, but the hops are still there for certain, but it smelled so much sweeter, like esterified and fruity, even. Not quite like a Belgian, but much more so than on tap or in bottle. Interesting.

Taste: Still a palate demon, but not nearly to the same effect. I felt like I was drinking Ruination with less hops and more sweet malt, like it was balanced. What?! Is this right? A beer designed to not be balanced being balanced? The huge hops are both blunted on the front and back end by that fruitiness, making for an entirely different drinking experience.

Mouthfeel: Still brutal on the palate, much more of a tongue lashing than Pliny the Elder or Pure Hoppiness, but not necessarily in the taste department. Carbonation is lower, yes, but the sweetness makes in not quite so enamel-eating, tongue-buckling as it otherwise can be.

Drinkability: Due to the relatively warm temperature for an IPA, it's a little less-so than a cooler D/IPA, but still very nice and enjoyable. Definitely glad I could enjoy it on cask as well.

08-08-2009 00:38:05 | More by nomomentwasted
hardy008

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a pale orange color with a foamy white two finger head with a sticky lace. The aroma is strong grapefruit peeling, pine, and floral hops. The taste is a match for the aroma, but I detect a bot of a malt backbone with some sweetness to it. It is not real strong, but it is there. The hop flavor is dry, bitter, and somewhat oily.

Medium bodied, nice carbonation, dry, and bitter, but not overly bitter. Nice drinkability. A nice DIPA. Not as sweet as some, but still quite good.
***
Tried again on 3/31/2011.

Perhaps the last bottle was a little old. I did not know how to check the date code then. This bottle there is the aroma and flavor of grapefruit and orange which I did not taste before. No grapefruit peeling this time. Revising the score upward. Previous overall score was 4.10.

08-07-2009 02:25:47 | More by hardy008
MeadMardigan

Maryland

2.8/5  rDev -34.9%

On a recent trip to Chinatown in San Francisco, my brother and I decided to venture away from the typical BBQ Pork Buns on the Dim-Sum menu, and ordered the Bitter Melon and Beef. I should have known, being in Chinatown, that my Western conception of melon as sweet and tangy would be challenged, but I was completely and utterly floored by just how bitter the Bitter Melon turned out to be. When I say floored, I mean it. We nearly fell out of our chairs. B-I-T-T-E-R.

When you pick up a bottle of Stone's Ruination IPA, you are not left wondering about the experience to come. Not a little type is wasted on bragging to what great lengths Stone has infused their IPA with bitterness. Perhaps too much. While one does drink an IPA for the bitterness, one should also expect it to satisfy more than a small area on the back of your tongue.

Not only was the beer not as bitter as expected, but that was the overwhelming taste characteristic present. A good IPA should be bitter, yes, but not a one trick taste pony. I'd hoped, being so highly praised on this site, that Ruination IPA would be more engaging, but I was more or less bored after the first sip, but I guess that's partly the point. The label itself says that after a single taste, even food would turn to ash in your mouth, but I didn't know that the beer was included in that ruination.

If you like IPA's, you'll probably come upon this one eventually in your search for the best, but I think you'll be disappointed. Ruination IPA; well said.

08-07-2009 00:34:05 | More by MeadMardigan
kaiserbrown

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%

I'm very disappointed that, as far as I can tell, I cannot get this beer in Minneapolis. I had it the past two nights while visiting friends at the always excellent Sunset Grill & Tap in Boston. Poured in a tulip glass.

A: Pours a deceptively light gold-straw color. Decent lacing. No indication of the 105(!!!) IBU hammer about to hit your palate.

S: Powerfully hoppy, as expected. Difficult to pick anything out beyond the nose of glorious, delectable hops.

T: The first time I tasted this beer, I pounded my friend so hard on the back that he was unsure whether I adored or despised the brew. My admiration hasn't flagged in the time since that day. Bruisingly hoppy, which is most definitely not for all imbibers, but still balanced enough that the hops don't utterly overshadow the underlying malts.

M: I don't know that I have words to describe how wonderful this feels going down. Crisp, sharp, and leaves the perfect bitter aftertaste on the back of the tongue.

D: Shockingly drinkable, even a potential session beer. Somehow maintains its sledgehammer appeal without being overwhelmingly alcoholic or heavy.

O: One of my favorites, and one that I'd drink regularly if I'd the opportunity. Definitely not for everyone- if you aren't a fan of hoppy beers you probably won't enjoy this to the same extent as a dedicated hop-head. Still. Delicious.

08-06-2009 20:53:24 | More by kaiserbrown
woodychandler

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%

For me, it seemed like the chance of a lifetime to have this on cask while visiting the Pizza Port Solana Beach location.

The draw settled into a finger-and-a-half of thick, tawny head with fantastic retention, especially given the heat and (relative) humidity. Color was a deep golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose was very estrous with banana being the prevalent smell. Mouthfeel was really smooth with a light, honey-like taste on the tongue. Finish was smooth with a slight hoppy biterness that reminded me to slow down. Yow!

08-06-2009 19:11:01 | More by woodychandler
beerwolf77

Wisconsin

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Time to drink like the big boys. I pour this beer into my pint glass and I feel empowered. It looks amazing. A beautiful cloudy golden hue is capped by at least two inches of off white head. The head settles leaving a cap that rests nicely on top of my glass. The aroma is.... HOPS! What the f*$k did you think it was gonna smell like. It smells like pure hops period. I can't find adjectives to describe it. Piney is an understatement. The flavor is so bitter and hoppy. It makes me pucker all the way to my toes. I imagine if you picked fresh pine needles smashed them into a grapefruit then took a bite. You couldn't get a more piney bitter taste in your mouth. It just keeps going too. I take a gulp and a minute later all I can taste is hops. I love it. It's medium bodied and leaves your mouth feeling tired and abused. This is a great DIPA. I will pick this up again.

08-05-2009 23:53:13 | More by beerwolf77
kirkpjr

Alabama

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

poured into a pint glass, produced a small amount of head, nice lacing as well

appearance: golden color with small head

smell: hops!!, grapefruit, citrus, and little pine - the smell is one of my favorite parts of this beer

taste: powerful hops, the grapefruit delivers but not as much hoppy taste as smell; bitter, but very drinkable

mouthfeel: the candied hops coat the mouth, but not in a bad way; nice malt backbone to complement the hops

drinkability: one of my favorite beers, but to be enjoyed in small doses; i would love to drink this all day but don't know if my tastebuds could handle it; pleasantly "ruined" i would say

08-05-2009 00:28:28 | More by kirkpjr
Mistofminn

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a slightly amber golden color, more golden than amber. Light carbonation rising from the center of the glass. A gorgeous head and impressive lacing round out the look.

The nose is powerful. Alcohol? Not a chance. I would be impressed if you could pick out the alcohol over the apricot and grapefruit hop character. Soo juicy. Despite the overwhelming fruitiness, there is a substantial earthy/piney hop character as well.

Sadly, I don't think the taste measures up to my expectations given the aroma. Don't get me wrong, it's powerful, it's great. Fruity and piney, but looking past it I can see the malty backbone. Surprisingly balanced. This one absolutely destroyed my palate. Milk tasted like water after this (literally water...). Great stuff, just not as good as I was expecting given the nose.

Mouthfeel is sharp and bitter. The bitter aftertaste won't leave my mouth, literally. Drinkability is high, but gets it's score because of the extreme bitterness.

Overall, this was good stuff. I'm not sure if it is deserving of it's rank among the best in the world, but that just shows the taste of most people on this website. If you like over the top hops and don't plan on tasting anything else for the next 12 hours, you should try this one. If you are new to the craft beer scene or aren't a confirmed hophead, than dear god stay away!

08-03-2009 23:27:47 | More by Mistofminn
BeerPhan86

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

Ah yes, been wanting to try this again for some time. I remember it being one of my favorite beers from my favorite style.

A - Pours a nice orange gold with an off white head.

S - Strong hop aroma and earthiness. Smells like a pine forest almost.

T - Wow, intense and sweet hop bite up front, that lingers with a nice bready hop taste. Finishes with malt. What really makes this different from other doubles is that you get the great malty/bready taste instead of just a straight hopslam to the face. These two tastes are balanced and play with each other. It's very enjoyable. A bit more bitter than most doubles but I love that.

M - Creamy with a medium body.

D - I consider this a special treat when I buy a bomber every few months. It totally destroys my tastebuds, and don't plan on tasting any other hoppy beer after, it will be much more bland. The bomber alone has me feelin' pretty good so I don't think I would session this.

Overall a great double. Not AS boozy as others but still enough there to kick you in the pants. Definitely give this one a shot if you can!

08-02-2009 02:38:26 | More by BeerPhan86
crossovert

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Bottle has a nice biography of the beer and some nice artwork, says 100+ IBU's, oh boy, here we go.

Poured from a bomber into an oversize wine glass. Nice darkish amber color, its a really clear brew, not many bubbles.

Scent of piney, citrusey hops, the smell is all about the hops, its rather refreshing too.

"The moment after the first swallow, all other food and drink items become substantially more bland than they were just seconds before." Not really but thsi brew has a great taste, the bitterness is up there but beyond it its hop bliss. Not alot of malt here. Just sucking on that bottle with a little beer in the bottom gives you the full hop flavor.

This stuff goes down like candy water though, i think i could easily down a 6pack of bombers. Overall not the beas DIPA but a highly, highly worthy one.

08-02-2009 00:01:19 | More by crossovert
friesfox5

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber imto a pint glass.
A- Tons of lacing. Orange hue. Large foamy head.
S- Hops, grass, hops, hops.
T- Heavenly! This beer is hops front and center. The hops linger on your tongue but are nicely balanced with the malts. There is a spectacular hoppy, bitter aftertaste.
M- Great body and tongue tingle.
D- This is one GREAT double IPA. Gold standard would be a good definition.

07-31-2009 22:28:41 | More by friesfox5
bcastine

New Hampshire

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a 220z bomber into a pint glass. Bottle was 5 months past the expiration date.

A: slightly foggy burnt orange color, poured with a 2 finger fluffy white head that shrank, but remained existent till the last sip, sticky spotty lacing top to bottom

S: Citrus, lots of hops, bready malt, smells like excitement!

T: The malt almost has a slight jolly rancher sweetness to it and is well defined, its not overly sweet like some other stone brews. With the added age, the hops really mellowed out, they still deliver their flavor profile but do so with much less bitterness then a fresh ruination. Dare i say this is almost balanced! Fantastic!

M: how a DIPA should be, never thin, and a noticeable resin quality to the liquid. Right on target.

D: This is extremely drinkable, destroys your palate to the point of not even daring to try another brew after one of these as it will most likely taste like swamp water. This is probably my favorite of the DIPA's I've tried, I prefer with the little bit of age over it being fresh as well.

07-31-2009 17:02:27 | More by bcastine
ujsplace

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured authoritatively (inspiration from Cartman) into a tulip glass.

A: Burnt orange, thick white head that dissipates rather quickly, leaving nice lacing...

S: Citrusy hops, grapefruit, floral notes.

T: Bitter up front, with not as much bitterness as I would have expected. Mildly malty, decent not over the top alcohol. A lot of nicely melded hop flavors in here and yet not over the top. Very nice...

M: Medium bodied, smooth and nicely carbonated...

D: Delicious...I could really get into this and I think that it is definitely frighteningly drinkable...

07-31-2009 02:31:14 | More by ujsplace
whoneeds8

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured into tulip crystal golden-orange with a thick white head. Great lacing. Smell has a "grass" smell to it. Like the hops are very green. The taste has a good bite to it, but nothing extraordinary. That is until I began to eat my tortilla soup that I had to go with this beer. The back of the bottle says that this beer ruins the palatte, making any food taste bland. Quite the opposite. This beer actually made the spicy Tortilla Soup hotter. The beer magnified the spices of the soup on my lips, which was almost painful.

07-31-2009 00:19:40 | More by whoneeds8
Rhynes2

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%

Hopped to shit is the phase used by one of the employees at Chip's to describe this beer. Overall it's right on par with Stone IPA in that is is very citrusy and hop heavy. Great taste though. Very refreshing i found. Nice foamy head that stuck around for a while and the color was a nice lighter shade. Looks pretty standard. I'm for sure going to have to buy this one again. One of my favorites

07-28-2009 21:58:58 | More by Rhynes2
womencantsail

4.43/5  rDev +3%

A: A clear pale gold color with about 1 finger worth of foam that slowly drifts away. Pretty decent lacing.

S: Pine and citrus, hop resin, some floral qualities as well. Some malt sweetness, but very minimal.

T: Very bitter, lots of pine, some floral background. The hops are primarily on the front with a slight amount of malt on the finish.

M: Not much carbonation, medium body, kind of sticky on the tongue (especially as it warms).

D: Bitter and boozy, but a delicious DIPA.

07-26-2009 19:11:11 | More by womencantsail
1fastz28

4.72/5  rDev +9.8%

Well another one of my sought after beers that I finally found. Pours from the bottle a thick golden amber color with a big white head with tons of lacing, the aroma is of lemons and of course tons of hops, the hops take you to a back alley and kick the crap out of you. Taste is awesome just a great combo of hops and just enough malt to make it a beer and not just a hop tea. Mouthfeel is very good, only downfall to this beer is the drinkability one beer is attacking me more than most. Still glad to have the privelage of enjoying this beer

07-25-2009 22:29:21 | More by 1fastz28
aaronxsubaru

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Oh my gosh. If you you like the style this is a beer you have to try. Smells great very sweet with lots of hoppy citrus.
This tastes great not sure if I prefer this or the regular stone ipa, both are great. Tastes very smooth and I think it's pretty drinkable. Good amount of carbonation helps the mouthfeel. Not sure I would drink this all the time but it's worth trying and I will order this again.

07-24-2009 03:40:23 | More by aaronxsubaru
dgilks

Australia

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a crystal clear gold with a foamy white head. Good head retention.

Big grapefruit and passionfruit aromas and a touch floral. Quite sweet. Delicious.

Very sweet and floral right up front. This fades through to a big bitter burst. Really tasty with great punch. Nice lingering bitterness with just a touch of earthy vegetal aftertones.

Medium body which holds up well against the beer. Average carbonation suits this well.

Plenty of flavour and just a great example of this highly hopped, amped up style.

07-23-2009 09:21:05 | More by dgilks
ricke

Sweden

3.93/5  rDev -8.6%

A: Cloudy yellow color with a nice white head that settles a little to fast. Some lacings.

S: Smell is very hop forward, but still rather balanced. Lots of hop resins and citric notes. It goes a little perfumy, but not overly so. Hints of pine-needles. However, the hops seem a bit faded and have probably lost some definition since the bottling. The malts get through really well with a nice complementary caramel-like sweetness and aromas of white bread.

T: Loads of hop resins and grapefruit in the mouth. But again, the hops seem to be on a downward slope, so I guess this bottle isn't completely fresh. A hint of tobacco and more floral and grassy hop notes. The malty backbone is fresh with a pleasant semi-sweet taste of caramel and white bread. The finish is very very bitter with lots of hop resins and pine-needles. The bitterness actually gets a little overpowering since the hop aromas doesn't seem to hold up.

M: Medium body with a slightly sticky mouthfeel. Refreshing carbonation.

D: A very good DIPA with lots and lots of hops and complex flavors. Despite the massive bitterness in the finish it really manages to come off quite balanced. Too bad I suspect that this bottle was a little old.

07-22-2009 21:14:52 | More by ricke
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.