Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I've now had this on cask, tap, and bottle. The bottle version had the best appearance with thick white sudsy head and spotty lacing down the glass. Potent aroma of orange, grapefruit, and pine resin, with slight hints of the toasted malts in the background of this hop bomb. Taste follows smell with strong hops front to back. Solid medium body, ample carbonation, sticky finish with hop oils coating the mouth. When I want a hop bomb with a toasted malt content, I'm grabbing this one without a doubt.

garuda, Jun 02, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Bought a bottle. Pours out nice with a nice slow falling head. Dark golden color.

Smells yeasty and piney.

Tastes like bitter pine sol....Aftertaste makes me thinking maybe i've been sucking on pennies instead of drinking beer....

I'm wondering if i got an old bottle or something because this is in no way a 'good beer'....

dkfick, Jun 01, 2010
3.8/5  rDev -11.6%

A pint glass poured for me at Pour 24 (New York, New York), Las Vegas.

The beer has an orange hue to its amber body, on top sat a thin off-white head of random sized bubbles.

The smell was your typical hop head US IPA, meaning a selection of hop aromas, each trying to outmanoeuvre and control the variety of its mates within the brew.

The taste/flavours are also all hop, some malt is there in the background, but the hops that dominate the smells change around so other hops take centre stage in the bitterness stakes.

Obviously the hops rule this beer, but it has other factors (unbalanced/yet different/engaging/yet annoyingly nasty) which help to make it worth finding, glad I did.

BlackHaddock, May 31, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +5.8%

On draft from the Publick House (Brookline, MA) on May 28, 2010. Poured into a pint glass.

Poured a slightly hazy light orange. Perfect fluffy white head that stuck around for a while and left great lacing with each sip.

Burst of citrus and pine along with the hops on the nose. The hoppiness is floral and very strong. Exceptional.

The taste is bold. Big big hops with grapefruit. This is a strong hoppy beer but there is some sweetness to add a bit of balance. Not as bitter on the finish as I would have expected.

Medium bodied and crisp mouthfeel. A good, moderate amount of carbonation.

Extremely drinkable for the style.

For me, this beer IS DIPA.

bceagles39, May 30, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass

Appearance-Pours a pale yellow with light tinges of orange giving it a practically golden character. A sumptuous fluffy white head rises from the pour and slowly settles itself back down.

Aroma-Oooh, wow; this beer is an upfront attack of sweet, sticky, zesty, citric hops; I smell lemon, orange, pear and a variety of other fruity smells amidst a piny kind of woodsiness. Even though the hoppy smell is prominent and upfront it doesn't obliterate the malty, buttery undercurrents; a testament to the craftsmanship that went into this brew.

Taste-An initial flood of bitter-sweet, sticky, piny and zesty-fruity hops leads off rather suddenly into an undercurrent of caramel malty sweetness that adds a powerful depth of character to the overall flavor. The hops don't dwindle and remain in the forefront all the way into the finish lending all their flavor and character yet still without utterly overwhelming the malty undercurrents. There is no alcohol on the palette whatsoever, it is completely and utterly masked.

Mouthfeel-Thick and creamy without being heavy, it's all kinds of perfect for what the brewers were going for.

Drinkability-Perfectly drinkable, I could have this all damned day.

Notes-This *was* my favorite DIPA, until I had my first Pliny The Elder; now it's been firmly relegated to a rather distant second, it's still an awesome DIPA though.

Manoftyr, May 29, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Tap into goblet
A: coppery and clear with a ring of soft white foam that hugs the glass and laces slightly
S: lots and lots of citrusy hops, no doubt about what is to come
T: Immediate piney citrus followed by resiny hops bitterness. Wonderful long bitter hoppy finish
M: smooth and a little heavy, in part due to the resin that coats my mouth. carbonation is light
D:the hops punch lasts just long enough, and the assertive hoppy flavor keeps me drinking. Well balanced malt for it's bitterness makes all the difference

Beerfayce, May 28, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

I first had this beer about 5 years ago when I was just getting into better beer, and I remember thinking it was just too bitter. I liked IPA's but this one was too much for me. For some reason, I always just looked past it since then. It's about time I revisited it!

The beer pours a hazy copped with a fluffy head and beautiful lacing. I tend not to trust a clear IIPA. The aroma is grassy, herbal and overwhelmingly citrusy hops. The pungent grapefruit alludes to the bitterness to come. A bit of sweet caramel malt pokes through upfront in the flavor, followed by more big, bold grapefruity bitterness. The intense resiny bitterness lingers for what seems like an eternity, I feel like I was just chewing on some fresh cones! The alcohol is masked, but the extreme bitterness lets you know you are drinking a fairly strong beer. This is one nasty IIPA! I can feel a little heartburn coming with each sip.

ericj551, May 28, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

This DIPA hasn't made its way to the top of most expert's taste lists by just being "average." Yes, it's strong. Yes, it's VERY bitter. Yes, it's known as "hophead heroin."

Those who complain about Ruination's lack of maltiness are not familiar with the style, nor with the philosophy of Stone Brewing Company. Stone hit a home run with this liquid gold, and those lucky enough to find it (and fortunate enough to be able to afford it) will surely have a memorable experience.

itfitz, May 27, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -17.4%

22oz. Bomber poured into my pint glass.

A: Golden yellow with a significant white head. Beer is a bit cloudy, which would make sense, as I believe this is an unfiltered offering.

S: As expected - it's all hops. Citus and pine all the way.

T: Obviously, the hops are front and centered here. Very good and refreshing. As the name indicates, your palate is ruined after consuming this bomber, so be forewarned.

M: Medium-bodied.

D: I can't very well rate this low on the drinkability scale, since it's a DIPA and you're not supposed to be able to pound these! I rated it average, though I could not consume more than a bomber of this in a session.

rosmhuire, May 25, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

12 Fl. Oz. bottle poured into pint glass. Served 45-50 F.
A: Golden brown with thick frothy white head. Many CO2 trails form on bottom of pint. Thin head retention. Leaves large splotches around pint.
S: Hops. Very fruity and sweet.
T: Bright citrus and resin filled hops. Pale malts are sweet and spicy. Bitter linger.
M: Medium light on tongue. Very crisp.
D: Big hop flavor. Solid beer.

THORN, May 25, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

A: a nice orange color with lace head retention is not that good it goes down rather quick

S: I only get peaches from the smell I know thats not what most people get but I swear to god peaches peaches peaches and nothing else. hoppy peaches thats it.

T: bitter peaches in the taste I am thinking this is the freshest ruination I have ever had! or the hops that they used in this batch was off the hook! like some grapes have good years this was a good year for the hops in the beer man

M: med-light mouth med carbonation

D: yeah very drinkable hops build on you but hell if you like hops its a good thing

overall: I never got this much peach from any beer its bitter peach that is very refreshing. I always like this beer but this bottle was off the hook!

JamisonM, May 25, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from 22oz bomber into my Duvel chalice.

I am not a huge hop head and only rarely go with the IPA's so I admit I am not the best judge for this beer. However I know a good beer when I drink it.

Pours medium-golden color, with a cloud like white head, and good lacing. A cacophony of hop aromas mixed together with good malts.

Taste is all IPA. Man, the hops steal the show and are sharp and spicy. Has a nice rich body, as it slides over the tongue. I know there is some malt and yeast in there behind the hops!

Deep in the end there may have been some phenols and citrus.

Stone was right, it caused ruination to the palate.

I am no extreme hop head but I can tell its a winner of an IPA.

I wont be jumping back in right away but its not Stone's fault I dont like IPA's in general.

Cheers to Stone.

elvisnj, May 24, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +7.7%

poured from 12oz bottle into generic pint glass.

A: pours cloudy, probably chill haze, dark yellowish orange, two finger white head that fell slowly to a finger then to a thin layer. lacing is almost creepy, one long sheet to almost the bottom of the glass.
S: far from the glass its a mainly lemon citrus. right in the glass its more of a heavy sugared lemon, light pine.
T: hops are more piny on the palate than on the nose, sweet lemon citrus. strong bitterness on the aftertaste as well a pine.
M: coating hop flavor sticks to the roof of my mouth, the rest lingers long, carbonation is in the medium range.
D: other than the 7.7%abv its very easy to drink

rootbeerman, May 21, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

22oz bomber obtained at McKinnon's in Salem NH. Pours a hazy golden color with about an inch of off white head that leaves a bit of lacing. scents of herbal/earthy hops immediately hit the nose and dominates the smell. tastes of earthy hops with a bit of wood with bitter taste in the finish. medium bodied and light/moderate carbonation. definitely a sipper but a great beer even though the resin from the hops leaves a very bitter quality to the finish but also very dry as well. Two Thumbs way up!!

Cheers!!

CheckMate, May 20, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured from a bomber into a tulip.

Orange-amber pour with about two fingers of dense white foam. Head retention is pretty good. Most of the glass is coated with sticky lacing. Perfection.

Hugely hoppy nose. Hugely hoppy, in that I got a solid whiff of pine as I removed the cap. Once the beer is in the glass, it explodes with citrus (grapefruit/orange) and pine scents. Very pleasant aroma, surprisingly pleasant for a beer with a name like Ruination.

It's funny. I first had Ruination in the very early stages of my craft beer exploration. Now, having tried it again for the first time in months, and after having countless world-class IPA's and Double IPA's, Ruination's palate-wrecking bitterness is even more apparent. Definitely tasting much more citrus than pine, which always works for me. The finish is very resinous and bitter, yet not harshly so. It's certainly a very bitter beer, and, weirdly, my tongue even feels different after finishing it, yet it's still delicious and a treat to drink.

I say this way too often, but Double/Imperial IPA's have my favorite texture of any style of beer. Ruination follows suit. Just shy of full-bodied, full-flavored, and with soft carbonation. Very silky, creamy feel. I don't notice the 7.7% ABV in any way.

Who knew a bazillion IBU Double IPA could be so drinkable? Maybe I am worthy, after all. Another absolute classic from Stone.

Gyle41386, May 20, 2010

A terrific offering from Stone. I have had plenty of the regular Stone IPAs, and wasn't sure how different this one was going to be, but it did deliver. Color is a tad deeper golden than the regular IPA. Hops aroma is a bit more complex, although not overwhelmingly so. Taste seems to me like a richer, hoppier Stone IPA, with more emphasis on the citrus flavors, rather than the uni-demensional hop profile of regular IPA. So smooth and easy drinking for a 7.7% beer. Would highly recommend checking this one out, and would advise drinking a 12 oz serving of this before sessioning other beers to appreciate the excellent blending of flavors Stone did here.

Prostman81, May 19, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a 12-oz. bottle into my Terrapin pint glass.

Appearance: Golden and a little hazy with a one-finger white head. Good retention and very good lacing.

Smell: Strong floral hops and a somewhat nutty malt aroma.

Taste: Very bitter. Intense bitterness characterizes this beer, living up to the 'ruination' moniker. There's decent balance from the malts, but this is really a hop poem, as the label states. Additionally, and rather curiously, there's a certain "ashenness" here. This threw me off at first, but now I really enjoy it.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and tangy; medium body.

Drinkability: This IPA is just a little bit different from most others I've had, and I like it a lot. It's strong, but not as strong as many American IPAs, and I could easily drink two or three of these in a session (and wind up pretty drunk as a result, probably).

Stone Brewing Company, for all its humorous boasting, never really fails to deliver great beer, and they certainly didn't botch this one. Wassail, my friends. Wassail.

Thiestru, May 18, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

Fantastic IPA. Classic style with a good malty compliment to the robust hop flavor. Not "pine cone" hop at all, very drinkable. Pleasant mouthfeel without feeling heavy. Hop up front with a bitter and malty aftertaste. Served on draft - tasted fresh but not a lot of head so aroma seemed a little subdued.

bozman9, May 16, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A 1L swingtop growler filled at Al's yesterday.

A: The DIPA is a golden orange, a glow that has sunset written all over it. Moderately hazy, the ale pulls off, on third pour, a finger of head that has legs.

S: Orange peel and grapefruit dominate, a syrupy sweet bitterness that is wicked bitter. The hoppiness is as floral as it is sharp, covering up all traces of malt (and therefore all semblance of balance).

T: The floral intricacies of the nose disappear in the face of an all-out assault on the senses (at least taste). The hops are a wall of bite, sharp and nearly unending. The devil is in the details though, as smaller sips reveal the breadth of the hops. The floral flavors are there, just look for 'em, along with the orange peel. Unfortunately a heavy-handed alcohol comes along for the ride. The ale lacks balance, plain and simple. Lots of hops, I like that. Too much booze, I don't like that.

M: Without the booze I really like the ale. The hops are floral and full, awesome in their own right.

D: Under 8%? That surprises the hell out of me. It feels like it should be twice that. I'm not worthy anymore, methinks.

akorsak, May 15, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had this one on tap at Mad Mex in Columbus, Ohio.
A: Clear amber with a nice fluffy white head that leaves lacing.
S: Grapefruit citrus hops up front, which are very green, with a sweet malty backbone and some alcohol. It is very inviting.
T: Caramel roasted malt sweetness in front of a rapid shock of green piney hops that linger.
M: Mildly syrupy and frothy.
D: Pretty good.

ne0m00re, May 14, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber, bottled Mar 26, 2010.

Pours clear light gold, a bit of amber, with a large fluffy white head, served in a Duvel tulip and has a Duvel-like appearance at first, but fades quite a bit.

Aroma is citrus, grapefruit, pine, grass, citrus rind, some yeast, bread. Quite strong.

Taste is deliciously bitter pine, resinous hops, some citrus rind/peel, a little malt balance, but not much. The bitterness is perfect, very refreshing, no noticeable alcohol.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with medium carbonation.

Ahhhh, so glad to finally get my hands on a fresh bottle of Ruination and it was worth the wait. After being hit with some boozy DIPAs recently, I really enjoyed the lower alcohol content in this one, the hops really get to steal the show here. Excellent.

elgiacomo, May 14, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Served from tap into standard pint. Pours a nice golden color with a one finger white head that lingers. The aroma was quite hoppy. The flavor of this beer was bitter enough that it became spicy while in your mouth, but massive hop flavor is lurking and hits you upon swallowing. It had a medium feel on the palate with mild carbonation. There was minimal lacing throughout the brew, but some was evident. Overall this is an awesome IPA from Stone (my personal favorite IPA actually). If you are a big hop flavor lover and haven't tried this, you definitely owe it to yourself to track this one down.

thagr81us, May 11, 2010
3.68/5  rDev -14.4%

22oz. Bomber poured into my pint glass.

A: Pours a nice straw yellow with a 3/4" off white head. Very cloudy all the way threw with some lacing left behind.

S: Deicious, hoppy, pine, and lemon.

T: Pine, lemon, citrus, and a bitter after taste.

M: Thin bodied with light carbonation.

D: This is my first Stone brew since it has hit IL. This is a good DIPA/IIPA! Not sure if I would buy it again because I'am interested in checking out the other Stone brews. Overall good beer!

RTrain12, May 11, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

It pours a medium clear gold with an off white head and great lacing.

Aroma is very subtle of hops with flowers with a light citrus finish.

I like this taste much better than the original Stone IPA. Its not as bitter throughout just where it should be and in the right amount. The end hoppiness is also a combination with floweres which is very interesting. The mouthfeel is great and lasts several seconds and its an easy drink.

jrallen34, May 09, 2010
4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

Guess I had my sights set to high for this one. Found it to be on the high end of average, but did find myself liking it more and more as I went through the twelve pack that I had bought.
Dont get me wrong, was a very good brew but seemed to me it should have fallen into the single IPA category. Hope to re-review this after a while with perhaps some fresher material.

btorsdog, May 08, 2010
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.