Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros

First had: bottle at some bar in the Denver airport

Poured into a nondescript tumbler, a slightly hazy golden orange with a small, foamy, white head that retained and laced well. Seemed like a beefed up version of the regular IPA. Strong floral and citrus hops in the aroma. More of the same in the taste: floral and citrus, with a sweet caramel flavor coming thought, and lightly toasted malts in the background. Strong and flavorful, medium mouthfeel, and quite drinkable.

4.58/5  rDev +6.5%

22 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance-Burnished gold with an orange-ish hue. Good Clarity. Moderately large off-white head with decent retention and some nice lacing.

Aroma-Awesome hop bouquet-candied grapefruit and mint show through the strongest for me, with lesser hints of citrus and thai basil. Malt is faint beneath the hops but has light notes of caramel and a hint of toast. Slight hint of pine as the grapefruit begins to fade, but still very herbal.

Flavor-Caramel malt flavors are cut short by the assault of hop flavor and bitterness. There's more pine in the flavor than in the aroma, but still plenty of herbal hop flavor, especially basil and mint. Hop bitterness is very high and aggressive. Aftertaste is dry and bitter, with lingering herbal flavors and a slight note of grapefruit. Finish is long and bitter, with herbal flavors staying on the palate for minutes after swallowing.

Mouthfeel-Medium full body with moderate carbonation. Talk about a tongue smack-down though, on my first sip, I felt like i'd had my taste buds punched off (in a good way). Leaves the tongue numb and tingly.

I had this beer a while back, but it was clearly not fresh. These bottles just got into MN and this beer fresh is pretty damn fantastic. Wonderful double IPA. I can't help but think that this would be absolutely delicious with Thai food.

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Ruination IPA exits the brown bomber with a slightly cloudy amber hue and an inch of above it. The aroma is strong with flowery hops. An inviting hoppy concoction. The palate is assaulted by hops The bitter flowery hops dominate the palate. Some citrus and pine notes join the mix. Just the right kiss of caramel malt balance the dominate hops. The smoothness of the flavor profile belies the hops that make this brew famous and iit goes down easy all night.

3.8/5  rDev -11.6%

A- golden with a small amount of white head. Hazy looking.

S- grassy smell, with some citrus notes that that hit your nose a split second later but it smells like your tongue is about to take a bath in hops.

T- I like the taste of this beer. Its more pleasant than the aroma would lead you to believe and the bitterness comes on after the malty taste leaves your tongue.

M- creamy mouth feel almost. Bubbles on my tongue.

O- this is a good beer but I have some beers I like better for a lesser price. But if this beer was around I would like to have some more!

4.3/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Light golden, clear and crisp.

S: I like the intial smell of stong hoppiness and citrus. The aftersmell gets a little funky for my liking. Almost a little musky smelling.

T: Great inital taste. You immediately taste a floral type taste followed by a great orangy/grapefruity taste. You are then dropkicked by an overwhelming amount of hop taste which i love. The initial finish is quite good, rounding up the floral, grapefruit and hop tastes, but then the bitterness kicks in the the final finish that linger on your tongue may be slightly too bitter.

M: Great mouthfeel. Smoothm, just enough carbonation and thickness to help embody such a strong bold beer.

O: I do like this beer. If you are a strong hop lover like me, this is the beer for you! If only the smell could be a little more inviting, it would be an all around perfect beer damn near!

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Looks quite crisp, great clarity, active pilsner type carbonation with a two finger puffy white head. Looks like soap suds.

Smell is piney, citrus like hop aroma. Very clean bitter bite grapefruit with even a hint of buttery richness.

First sip.. Wow, the smell of this beer is deceiving. You get a malty sweetness at first the swings over the top of your palate and then BAM!! The bitterness hits you, sour bitter grapefruit, pine, floral medicinal flavors linger as the brew goes down. This is a tongue hop shredder! Very pronounced bitters and Per stones site is well over 100IBU's. This beer is for you if your a hop head. Very good stuff.

Mouthful well is like most DIPA the bitterness lingers what seems like forever. This is defiantly a great sipping IPA. Probably paired well will some strong flavor cheese and meats. Creamy brew to say the least.

Overall great DIPA, I love hoppy beers and at one time that’s all i bought was hopped out outrages brews. I’ve gone away from that and its nice to know i can still get down with the hoped crazed beer geets. This beer is great highly recommended but a bit over priced. 7.99 for a 22 and 14.99 for a six pack. Try out at least cause if you like hoppy beers you'll love this one.

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from a bomber into a Duvel tulip. Slightly hazy orange colour, big dense rocky cream head. Big punch of pungent floral, piney aroma, slightly lemony, extremely fresh--like sniffing a fresh packet of hops before tossing them into the boil. This beer has been thoroughly hopped in all aspects of the flavour experience. Extremely hoppy and bitter, but balanced to the point of keeping things enjoyable. Lots of juicy grapefruit/pine flavour with a bit of bready malt backbone. Long-lasting citrus rind aftertaste. Medium bodied, a touch slick/oily. A fantastic rendition of the style, my favourite to date, just bursting with unbelievable hop flavour throughout. Will definitely revisit next time south of the border!

Poured from a 650ml bottle...

Appearance: Beautifully hazy golden orange hue with a fluffy / creamy 1 finger head. The glass is white-walled with lacing.

Smell: My lord, never have I smelled so much hop deliciousness from a beer before. This smell excites with an actual hop 'sweetness'!!

Taste: The taste of a sweet hop essence so smooth and delectable that I can honestly say it's the closest to draft I've ever had from a bottle. Just amazing.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, smooth, hoppy, happy, and just downright filled with the love of brewing. This beer makes a ! and it indicates appreciation for the fine art of brewing.

Overall: The best IPA I've ever had. Hands down. Even if your not a hophead. JUST DO IT! Prosit!!!!

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

A: Nice golden yellow color, thin, bubbly head. Good carbonation sitting at the bottom floating up.

S:Hops, hops, hops. Flowery and piny hop goodness.

T: Suprisingly balanced taste, not as bitter as I was expecting, doesn't have a big lingering hoppy aftertaste like I thought. Tastes of pine a This is a great tasting IPA.

M: Medium body, with a nice scrubbing on the tongue feel after. Very smooth and drinkable.

O: I love this IPA from Stone. Stone never dissapoints and I will definitely be getting more into them as they are readily available here. This is a great beer for the hop heads.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Served in a stone Cali belgic glass from a 1pt 6fl oz bottle.

Appearance - a nice cloudy golden yellow hue with a cloudy white head a couple fingers deep.

Smell - this beer claims to be an ode to the hop and it certainly doesn't fail to deliver. Hops dominate the fragrance, but the smell is not just hops but a crisp and fresh forest if hops. If you absolutely adore the smell of fresh hops, this beer is for you. Every time I smell this beer I harken back to the tour I took at Stone and the vision of heaven I saw when I entered that room.

Taste - once again I allude to Stone's claim that this beer is an ode to hops and the taste does little to disappoint. Hops is the first taste that comes to mind. There is just so much in the way of aromatic and bitter hops that makes this beer a delight to drink.

Mouthfeel - I think this beer feels heavier because of the prominence of the flavor permeates the entire surface of the tongue. That said, there is a pleasant aromatic hop ovetone to the head that contrasts with the hoppiness of the mouthfeel that allows for a nice texture to this beer.

Overall - hops hops and more hops. Imperial ipa is my favorite type of beer and I thi ruination is central to the genre for it's great combination if hops, both in aromatics and flavor. If you want a nice well-balanced imperial IPA tis is a good place to start.

4.48/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

1L growler from Al's of Hampden. Kegged 6/4/2011, super fresh!

Pours a fairly clear, golden orange color with a good 3 fingers of foamy white head that leaves seafoam lacing throughout.

Big nose on this, can smell it on the table 3 feet away as I type. Citrus and tropical fruits, along with some pine notes - not a whole lot of malt aromas to speak of (yay). Lots of pine and grapefruity hop flavors upfront, that kinda linger with some other citrus in the middle, before a nice, dry finish. Medium bodied, somewhat light carbonation, and dry.

Ive had this many times before, but never from a keg this fresh - what a treat!

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Big off white head that slowly recedes leaving a decent lacing atop a honey golden colored beer.

A light alcohol hint is present in a citrus and pine hops aroma.

A very decent hops, citrus with slight piney taste with again a slight alcohol taste coming through.

The aftertaste is a slight bitterness on dry.

A pretty decent IPA and I'll gladly drink this anytime you wanna bring some over, but the weird thing is that right before I drank this beer I had a Two Hearted Ale from Bell's and I liked that IPA more than the Stone and I really have never heard much about them nor had I had the opportunity to try their stuff until now.

That's not a slam against Stone, just I had two really good IPA's back to back from two breweries that seems quite different, proof yet again that there is a God.

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Beautiful hazy yellow/gold with a light 1 finger white head.

S: Pine, citrus, a complete hop overload! I could smell this from three feet away!

T: Bitter bitter bitter! Glorious citrus flavors that leave you wanting more and this beer provides! Nice malt backing to even the flavor out but hops dominate in this brew.

M: Smooth and a bit dry on the mouth feel but oh so wonderful.

O: This is by far one of my all time favorites. The taste is spectacular and overwhelming. Total sensory overload but in the greatest way possible!

4.43/5  rDev +3%

Had on tap at the Ginger Man in New York City. Served in a tulip. Review from notes.

I've reviewed this on cask and in the bottle, this is my first time having it on tap.

Look: hazy orange with thin, cream colored head with great retention and lacing. Good.

Smell: much more resinous than I remember, but pungent citrus aroma as well. Smells good.

Taste: huge, piney hop taste with a bit of citrus, grapefruit and some floral, fruity hops as well. I can't detect any malt or alcohol, which is something I like about my DIPAs. Good.

Feel: medium bodied, crisp, hidden alcohol, and easy drinking especially for the alcohol content.

Overall: one of my favorite DIPAs and each time I have it, I'm reminded of why. Getting it from a freshly tapped keg was a real treat. Cheers!

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A--Orange, honey color. Fairly thin, slight haze. One-finger head that slowly dissovles. Nice lacing on the glass--sticks like a champ.

S--Some citrus, lemony scents breathe through the glory of hops. Very inviting to the senses. The mind begins to turn at the smell of Ruination!

T--Citrus and bread-like flavors are evident, regardless of the hops. While alcohol and hops are (quite!) noticeable, neither overpower the refreshing flavors that Stone has packed into this DIPA.

M--I would not plan on tasting something new after you've finished one of Stone's best. You're mouth will go numb after this one.

O--One of the best DIPAs I've had in a long time. Ruination tests Racer X----and all of its hop bitterness and citrus aromas!

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Reviewed from notes. Bottle poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A - Pours amber orange with a nice pillow of one finger tall white head leaving spotty lacing down the glass.

S - Smells of pine and citric hops, grapefruit, and a small amount of caramel malt. This one is all about the hops.

T - Lots of hop bitterness throughout. Hints of pine, citric fruit, caramel sweetness, and a touch of bread dough. Finish has plenty of bitterness, lingering for some time. One of my all time favorite IPA's.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Sticky feel with plenty of lingering bitterness in the finish.

O - I have been drinking this beer for a few years now and it has never let me down. Sure, there is the occasional out of date bottle but that isn't the beers fault. Still one of the best IPA's of all time.

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

purchased 6/15/11 from cable beverage bardonia NY

The Pour:

Ruination is an orangish golden color. The brew looks a tad thinner than what I expect for a DIPA, but it leaves behind the tell tale sticky lacing from the remains of its two finger head. What is notable is that the brew sports a bit of a haze, which may be cool if it is indicative of wheat as an ingredient. I love the the addition of wheat in hoppy brews.

The Nose:

How many ways can I describe, “whoah, this is one hoppy beer!” Bitter. The aromas of grapefruit and lemon zest occasionally allowed a glimmer of caramel malts

The Taste:

Well, upon entering my mouth, I realize it is not as brutally bitter as I was anticipating, which is great. I actually tasted the caramel and toffee malts. I doubt wheat was used in this brew; the sweet, and delicately raw qualities of wheat seemed absent. The beer is actually balanced pretty well. The medium body could have used a viscosity boost, and I’d preferred a bit more sweetness, especially in the swallow, but it was pretty good. Fruity notes were limited to grapefruit, lemon/mine, and a slight cantaloupe flavor. A bonus was the absence of astringent vodka flavors I frequently come across in DIPAs.

4.3/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip

A: Gold with a dense, foamy head. It’s a lot more plentiful than one might expect.

S: The aroma is a concerto of oranges, grapefruit, grass, and deliciousness.

T/M: Tastes like it incorporates the citra hop, but their website claims the use of Columbus and Centennial. The hops are central in the flavor and actually subdue the obligatory citrus flavors. It’s a lot more hoppy than OAKED Arrogant Bastard Ale and has a citrus zest finish.

It’s a really great IPA with a sweet citrus twinge. Stone, you can ruin my palette any time.

Served in a stemmed flute style goblet . Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: As served the beer is a clear golden tinged orange with a ¼” white head that persists for quite a while and creates good patterns of lacing. Sipping leaves lacing sticking to the sides of the glass for most of the beer but it isn’t as thick and patterned as some I’ve seen.

Smell: The aroma is filled with pine resin and grapefruit zest, but there seems to be little or no malt character to pick up.

Taste: The flavors are pretty much grapefruit zest and pine resin with little or no malt showing. But the malt does make its presence known in the control it exerts over the bitterness. This beer does not have the tongue rasping character of some West Coast beers.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is smooth and medium-bodied with good carbonation. The finish is long and dry and filled with resinous bitterness.

Drinkability and Overall Impression: While I enjoy sipping through this beer and expect to have another someday, its not something I’d put on my shopping list for regular consumption. My overall impression is that this is a very good example of the West Coast style (mostly all about the hops with the malt playing a very secondary role) its not a beer at the top of my list.

Probably one of the best Imperial IPA's I have ever had.

The appearance was great a nice 2 finger head and beautiful light amber color.

The smell is of hops is deep with a citrus note and slight malt note.

The taste is sweet malt on the tip of the tongue and hops the rest of the way.

Mouthfeel is medium body with a nice level of carbination.

4.13/5  rDev -4%

Poured from a bomber into a brandy snifter.

Appears a golden color with hints of orange and a creamy head that slowly subsides. Lately I've been appreciating super hoppy beers that are on the lighter side of the color spectrum yet still packing a punch.

Smells strongly of hops - possibly Cascade - with a lot of tart citrus, specifically grapefruit.

Taste has plenty of hops but I'm getting a strong taste of the bittering hops than what the nose imparts. Less fruity in the mouth. Not much malt flavor picked up.

Mouthfeel is a bit creamy up front and then straight into "Bittertown USA." A thinning of the tongue and a mildly dusty finish.

Overall an enjoyable beer and I'd definitely have it again but would rather have a double IPA that balances out with a bit more fruit.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Golden-yellow straw with a plush egg shell head. Constant flow of micro-carb bubbles. Syicky pine, earthy grass and citrus, mostly grapefruit. Both aromatic and tasting hops must have been used. Full on hopped IPA. Not a trace of malts to be found. The sticky hops linger in the cheeks and on the tongue. Another flavorful IPA from Stone. They know their way around good beer.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Served cooled and poured into an oversized wine glass.

Appearance: Pours a lighter color than most DIPA's (their regular IPA also seems lighter than most from my memory). I'll take this as a positive indication that malt flavor will play second fiddle to the hops. Head has remarkable staying power, lacing is equally impressive.

Smell: An intoxicating citrusy sweetness bursts forth when I open the bottle. Floral notes abound, west coast hoppiness all the way here. I could smell this all day long.

Taste: Pronounced hop bitterness, pretty damn close to pure hop nectar. A little malt on the aftertaste is a nice touch, working to curb the hop bite. As far as DIPA's go, Ruination puts those hops significantly more in your face than the malt - just how I like it.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, no complaints there. Creamy mouthfeel is good but could be better.

Overall: Another great beer from Stone. I've had better DIPAs but Ruination definitely ranks up there with the best. Expensive at $18 per 6-pack but a nice treat.

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just finished a litre at Closed 4 Business

A - Light golden color with a solid 2 in head, fair retention

S - Super piney and bitter, minimal halt

T - Super piney and bitter as the smell suggested, I'm sure its 120 ibu's or more, really refreshig and tasty

M - Meduim light bodied and medium carbonation, great for the style

O - So tasy, if you can handle bitterness you'll love this. very refreshing, I feel a buzz coming on

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

My pallet is ruined...

(Read the back of the bottle if you have no idea what I'm talking about).

Definitely no shortage of hops (IBU 100++). This is a must try if you like that sort of thing.

This beer STONES (ROCKS)!!-- sorry bad pun... little drunk.

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.