Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Bought at Whole Foods (Arroyo Parkway), Pasadena, CA.

Poured a golden color into glass with a one inch head. Bubbles foaming the top. The smell of hops and fruits is noticable. Taste is definitely hoppy with carbonation. Mouthfeel is a nice bitterness that lingers on the palate. Drinkability is very good for an DIPA. Overall, a very good DIPA from Stone. Could drink a couple more if I had some in the fridge.

Westsidebuddha, Mar 15, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

From notes. Had on tap at Galaxy Hut on 3/12/10.

a - Pours an amber color

s - Smells mostly of piney hops. Maybe a little citrus.

t - Follows the smell. Mostly piney and citrusy hops. Very little bitterness. Maybe hints of sweet fruit.

m - Pretty smooth. medium body with low carbonation.

d - A pretty good DIPA. Nice hoppy smell and taste, will definitely be trying again.

mdfb79, Mar 14, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bought this at a local Canals while hearing great things about this beer.

Poured into a pint glass. Pours an amber with a thick off white head. Head lasts a while and forms a slight mound. Head sticks to the sides for a while. Lacing will last the whole beer.

Smells rather fruity with a subdued hoppy scent. Maybe banana? Very pleasent.

Taste is hoppy with a fruity after taste, similar to Fruit Loops. It's a mellow IPA, but the hops are present.

Full bodied flavor, this beer holds nothing back.

Drinkable beer, but I wouldn't have more than one a night.

keanex, Mar 11, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a cloudy, dark yellow colour. Nice head that leaves a bit of lacing and moderate retention. Looks very much like a rich IPA, and the smell confirms this. Hops, hops, hops come out, in a rather piney way, quite dry if anything. Very little malt presence.

The taste was a tad unpleasant at first - expecting something a bit more balanced, but it does taste outstanding. Concentrated hop-bomb made a tad milder by a middling malt presence, but the most prominent flavor here is undoubtedly hops. Quite piney and dry, not at all like the more citrus-y IPA's I've tried before, but nevertheless a most excellent quick.

The carbonation is basically what you'd expect from this sort of brew - it's carbonated enough to make it easy to drink but not so much that it's overly fizzy. Quite thick, with not as much booze as you'd expect from a ~8% brew - there's simply no room for it in the avalanche of hops. Very drinkable for a beer of it's style - not enough balance to truly be an easy drinker, but very enjoyable nevertheless. An excellent brew from Stone, as would be expected.

mike130, Mar 10, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -20.2%

22oz. bottled poured into my Half Acre pint glass...

Pours a hazy pale orange/golden yellow with a couple finger pancake batter-esque head that leaves a thin white cap on the beer for the whole glass, some lacing sticks around as well...

Rather weak nose hints towards a dry and earthy/piny hopped beer...

Taste is very west coast. Herbal dry hop onslaught with no malt backing to even things out. Grassy and piny, very bitter and drying, not much else...

Somewhat thin on the palette, good carbonation and a slight alcohol presence. Very drying with an undesirable aftertaste that won't go away...

One bomber is enough for me. I really like my IPA's/DIPA's but I prefer them with more balance...a more substantial, sweeter malt base is what I am looking for, not my style for a DIPA...

hawks10, Mar 10, 2010

22 ounce bottle in tulip

A:clear, amber, white cap of foam, lace all over

S: wow, aromatic, hops, pine, citrus.

T: hops lots and lots of hops, pine, balanced only by the booze, tastes alot stronger than it is.

M: typical ipa, there is a type of balance there but not one most look for the balance is found between the alcohol and hops. to create one strong tasting beer.

D: the one bomber is a tough one to drink it goes down like 12 percent, but is enjoyable this one of the first true sipper ipas I have found, normally i just tend to gulp them down, reminds me of eating a Columbus hop pellet.

fastsrt, Mar 10, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Drank on: 2/28/10
enjoy by: 4/5/10
7.7% ABV 100+ IBU
12 oz. in pint glass

A= Great creamy 1/4" head with good staying power. Dark Golden straw colored brew. Head receeded leaving creamy lace on glass.

S= Delicious fruity, citrus & herbal hop nose. Slight hint of light malts and hints of pine.

T= Awesome hop bitterness from start to finish. Hop flavors of pine and grapefruit. Malts are unable to break the strangle hold of hop flavor. Very mild hint of alcohol. Hints of herbal hoppiness.

MF= Great mouth coating bitterness which remains light in wieght. Nice fresh tingle on the tongue.

D= A fitting name for a brew which will truely spoil your palate. Even most IPA's don't stand a chance as an on deck choice. Delicious and highly drinkable.

evansrdbrew, Mar 09, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

Ruination pours a hazy orange-wheat color with plenty of visible carbonation that appears out of the mist and runs up into head, which is a little over a finger high with a creamy, off-white color and lots of thick foam. Doesn't have great retention (the alcohol content is partly at fault there), but the lacing it leaves is thick, hanging like laced drapes off the side of the glass.

The aroma is almost perfect; the fragrance is room-filling and you certainly don't have to search hard for the individual components of the nose. This thing is dripping with juicy, citrusy hops; I can clearly distinguish some grapefruit and lemon notes as well as a distinct pine aroma. Smells absolutely delicious.

The people at Stone put this together just the way I like 'em- hopped to the hilt. There is a decent amount of pale malts, but they know their place. The light buttery malts stay in the background and eventually fade from the flavor. Hops are the main event here. Up front, through the middle, and in the finish, waves of grapefruit, lemon, and pine sap all mingle together and create an awesome drinking experience.

The mouthfeel adds to the experience as well. The beer has a medium body and together with a mild amount of carbonation and the oiliness of the hops, the mouthfeel is smooth and silky. Although it's 7.7% ABV, I can't detect any alcohol in there.

All in all, this is a very well-put-together beer that I can't put down. I'm pretty much done with it and I've been trying to savor it for the sake of reviewing and enjoying it. Don't get me wrong, I've thoroughly enjoyed it, I just wish I had a lot more of it. Impressive in all facets, if you haven't tried this beer yet, then put it on your To Do list.

feelmefoam, Mar 08, 2010

Poured into a oversized wine glass.

A- golden in color. A solid 2" sudsy heap that recedes. Nice lacing left.
S-lots of hops coupled with citrus and a floral scent.
T- hops hops and more hops. Followed by the citrus, grapefruit mainly. Very bitter.
M- very dry. Nice carbonation. The hops really stick around and leave you with a nice bitnerness that's not overbearing.
D- I could drink it all night. I'm loving it right now with my brbq.

urwithdave, Mar 07, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber.

A: Very clear (surprisingly) deep orange/copper color with big, soapy white head that stuck around for a while and left fantastic lacing all over.

S: Hops, hops, hops, obviously. Citrusy and piney; mostly orange/grapefruit up front.

T: Dry, refreshing, and bitter as hell (in a good way). And yes, it's hoppy as can be and definitely 'ruins' your tastebuds for the evening, but it's so well-balanced with a biscuity malt and the warming alcohol; all at perfect levels.

M: More full-bodied than I would've expected, and leaves a nice oily coating on the tongue, and a very bitter finish leaves you wanting more. Carbonation is just right.

D: Fantastic IPA; definitely lived up to the numerous recommendations from fellow BA's. I think the ABV of 7.7% for this DIPA helps keep everything in check and makes for a very drinkable version of the style. The hop bitterness is crazy powerful (which is fine by me!), so it kind of prevented me from actually tasting whatever beer I had afterwards!

nelnutter, Mar 06, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +8.1%

Been wanting to try this IPA ever since I saw it...let's go

(a) Pours a thick cloudy caramel color. Since its not filtered i expected this...but this is very reminicent of pouring the double bastard...just looks dangerous! Great amount of head, good inch and a half and heavy lacing. (4/5)

(s) hop Hop HOP!! Great smell, you can almost taste the bitterness. Strong floral aromas, just how it should be for an extreme IPA. (4.5/5)

(t) Perfect. Everything I want in an IPA. Sweet and light on the tongue and then the bitterness hits you. Give me more! (5/5)

(m) For an extreme beer you would think only one aspect of your palete gets laid out...but this brew takes care of the job front to back. Amazing. (5/5)

(d) As far as drinkability goes, when compared to other IPA's this beer is very drinkable, but only when I'm just setting my sights on drinking. Definetly not something to be paired with food...unless you want everything to taste like this beer...which I guess is pefectly ok! Other beer companys make a few great brews...but Stone has yet to throw anything my way that I didnt like. Spend the $ and try this beer! (4/5)

lbaker, Mar 05, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

This may be the best IPA you can get. Yes, it does not have the hype or notoriety of other beers but it's among the best.

Poured a 22oz bomber bottle into to a snifter glass. Pours a nice bright orange color with a nice lacey head. The smell is but a glimpse of the bold and bitter hops that exist in the taste. One of the hoppiest beers out there and it does not disappoint. It has an excellent crisp finish and goes great with spicy foods. A can't miss IPA.

moz9, Mar 04, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +3%

I will preface this by saying(though I'm new to BA) that I am something of an IPA fanatic and I have tried about 100 different types in the past year. That being said, I found this to be an excellent IPA. The nose was classic hop-ey, citrus, pine. The taste was very crisp and bitter, and the finish was dry. I would almost consider this a regular IPA instead of a double because it is so dry. For me this is a very smooth drinking IPA. My only real complaint is the price. Overall this is a top notch IPA in my book.

Cannabinaceae, Mar 03, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

Several tastings over the past few years and especially a 163 park ave house favorite.

Im a fan of the IPAs, fan of hops, lots of hops, but I have a notable opinion on this beer: the only beer that feels overwhelming with the hops.

verry verry hoppy and bitter. Citrusy hints, grapefruit and pines are all there. Enjoyable IPA, but be ready for this one, no ordinary Imperial IPA. Thats the only place where I knock this beer, and its hard to do, but drinkability was not excellent, just good. Overall a beer in its own category, enjoyed it.

randawakes, Mar 03, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

Let's take a trip down memory lane. A year ago I was a college lad, starting to develop my beer tastes. I knew what styles and qualities I liked, but didn't know much about particular beers. I saw a bottle of Ruination and was enchanted by the foreboding bottle and description. My erstwhile companion and great BA boatshoes, far more knowledgeable than I, told me it was one of the best in the category. I was expecting an assault from hop heaven. When it was finally time to drink the damn thing, I ended up disappointed. It was okay, but wasn't nearly as bitter as I'd hoped it would be. I felt jilted.

Today I'm a bonafide hophead, with a far more nuanced palate than I had then. I decided it was high time to give the gargoyle another go. Poured from a bomber into an oversized wine glass.

A: The beer pours a very slightly hazy golden color. The pour creates a soapy, oily head that never fully builds but never vanishes. A bit lighter in color than I like in my DIPAs.

S: Smells like hops thrown fresh into the boil kettle. Leafy, almost flowery, with a strong citrus edge. Dank would be a good descriptor. Excellent.

T: Super powerful, deep bitterness dominates. It's hoppy for sure, with grapefruit dominating. But there's also a root-like astringency that you feel deep in your palate. Alcohol comes out as it warms. Not a lot of malt balance to speak of, which isn't a dealbreaker.

M: Honestly, felt a little thin to me. Oily. The beer coats and clings like crazy, which makes you forget about the thinness up front.

D: Liked it way better this time around, but off the top of my head I can still think of a half dozen DIPAs that I like better. Maybe it's the iconoclast buried inside me. In any event, its a DIPA standard reference, and for at least that reason I know I'll be coming back to it again and again.

CharlatanSin, Mar 02, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +3%

650ml bottle purchased by my girlfriend at Beer World in Largo, Florida. Hazy chrome yellow with a finger of ivory head and blotches of lace all over the snifter. Smell and taste are aromatic pine needles, Clementine peels, white grapefruit, and resinous Centennial hops. Malt profile imparts caramel, molasses cookies, and taffy. Aftertaste is pungent and citric American hops. A biting bitterness lingers for quite some time. The nose is sweeter than I prefer (similar to an Amber Ale), but this is mostly what I want from an IPA. Fruity, resiny, and beautifully bitter. Stone delivers once again!

cratez, Mar 02, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into a New Glarus shaker pint glass. The beer pours a deep gold, really very similar in color to the regular Stone IPA -- probably the palest DIPA I've had. The beer looks thicks, more viscous than the regular Stone IPA. It also pours substantially more hazy -- couldn't see much through this one. Nice head formed with fantastic lacing left behind with each sip.

Smell is all pine and citrus hop. I didn't pick up on any alcohol scents as some others have. A faint whiff of bready malt, but mostly just a good amount of citrus and pine hops -- not a crazy level of hops. Very similar aroma to the regular Stone IPA.

While the aroma wasn't that different, taste is like Stone IPA on steroids. Some good floral, citrus, and piney hops hit you first, followed by the 1-2 blow of strong bready malt and potent, long-lasting bitterness. The bitterness here really is the defining characteristic. Literally an hour and a half after finishing this beer, I could still taste the hop bitterness. Ruination, indeed!

Mouthfeel was appropriately slightly thicker than a regular IPA but not cloying as a barleywine. Nice carbonation. Easy to drink beer, though I'm not sure I'd want a second one on the same night & I'm not sure I'd be able to taste anything less assertive afterwards, but it sure went down easily.

mklinger, Mar 01, 2010

22 oz. bottle

A: Crystal clear, golden hue. No effervescence. Cloudy white fluffy head

S: Hops, bitter citrus

T: Refreshing, dry, bold. ABV well disguised in the flavor. Extremely bitter, yet not astringent. Although the bitterness is more prevalent than I prefer, it is done very well, and gives this beer a distinctive taste.

M: great carbonation. The bitter finish is a bit aggressive, especially in a 7.7% IPA. If it was 10+ %, I might be more receptive to it.

D: A really nice IPA, and a good representation of the style.

Huhzubendah, Feb 28, 2010
4.45/5  rDev +3.5%

A: a great, golden beer with a solid head, only because i went harsh on the poor though.

S: hoppy, piney smell that is delicious.

T: great taste. I get pine and hops mostly. Not over bearing at all.

M: Good, solid mouthfeel.

D:I could see drinking 3 12oz bottles of this, then moving to something more light. Overall this is a fabulous beer. However for the outrageous price of a 22oz around here, I'll stick with a 6 pack of 60 minute ipa.

deathcab, Feb 28, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

A - pours a beautiful golden/amber with a puffy head which quickly dissolves with lots of lacing

S - wow. absolutely love the smell. super piny/citrusy hops, maybe a little orange or grapefruit type smell in there

T - the taste really catches you off guard. intensely bitter and dry, super hoppy as one would imagine

M - nice carbonation, a little less than i expected, dry and a strong lingering in the back of the mouth

D - although i love just about every aspect of this beer, i couldnt see my self drinking it all night or sessioning more than a couple. it is intense!

lookitsfelias, Feb 28, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

A - Copper color with a nice looking, huge head. Had to stop my pour and pour a little down the sides. Moderate dissipation with minimal lacing. Nice looking.

S - Pine notes, with a brush of citrus hops and some sweet citrus. Pine comes through, but is not so overpowering as to detract.

T - Fantastic, pine starts out strong but fades into a nice blend of citrus and grassy hops. Bitterness follows on the end, but leaves the mouth feeling refreshed.

M - Solid, light-medium bodied with a nice carbonation kick. Dry finish.

D - Fantastic beer, could drink this a lot, the bitterness of the IPA actually leaves your mouth quenched, and no sweetness to become overbearing with time.

AgentZero, Feb 28, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

A: pours copper/amber with about 2 inches of while head (slight orange hue). sticks to the side of the brussels glass.

S: Not the intense hop aroma I was expecting. Don't get me wrong, it's definitely dominated by earthy, rainy, wet hop smell, but it doesn't smack you in the face. Maybe a little bit or corriander too.

T: Wow, now that's what I'm looking for. Hop flavor is not so much of the sticky, piney, floral type, but more of the true bitter, earthy and dry. Man, the aftertaste is bitter. No real malt profile or character to speak of. Very nice.

M: Carbonation approporiate for the style, if not a little light. Not heavy. Can't really say creamy, but smooth.

D: good, intense version of the style. I could drink a couple of these with ease.

ATGHomebrewer, Feb 27, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Thanks so much Brad, much appreciated! Dark, orange pour, with a large creamy custard head, leaving scads of lacing. Hop-a-saurus aroma, witha syrupy pine and honey side, with some malt to balance out the aromatics. Piney hops fill the mouth, and the receptacle appreciates, bitter as all get out. Bready and sweet bread. Great! My palate hath been ruined due to the massive hopping! Long bitter finish. Greg , you brew good beer! Thanks!

mrmanning, Feb 27, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

100 IBUs - do I even need to continue?

Stone Cold lock for the best IPA I've had in a while.

Amber color - great mouth feel, excellent bitterness.

The beer is a celebration of hoppiness - they claim to ruin anything that you try to taste after drinking this as it will pale in comparison.

excellent beer for those that like bitterness, IPA, etc...

klkatz, Feb 27, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +3%

Bomber into a Samuel Smith 12 oz. nonic.

Appearance: The funniest thing about Stone is that this brew, aside from the monster head and frothy lacing, doesn't stray too far, if you're talking about the sheer look of the body of the brew, from a BMC brew, and it almost has less carbonation. Something to mention. As said, though, the lacing climbs the glass, and the head never lets the body dominate the look in the glass.

Smell: Raw, earthy, and leafy hops, dominated by rind and citrus. Clean, balanced, pungent, and effervescent, with a bit of sweetness on the nose too, along with the floral underlying bouquet.

Taste: Awesomely balanced with leafy hops, pungent citrus, and sharp fruit esters. Lingering earthy hops, finishing with grapefruit rind. Even though everyone tries to outdo the 100+ IBUs, this is still one of the best balanced brews out there for everyting that it brings to the table.

Mouthfeel: The weirdness of the body, as far as the seemingly lackluster carbonation look, makes this seem like it's out of the bizarro world. Creamy, silky, and altogether smooth. The best thing about this brew.

Drinkability: One of the pioneers, and one that still delivers. Couldn't believe I didn't have a review for this. Not only does it hold up, but it's still a staple. Always something to get in a bomber if available. At least for me.

asabreed, Feb 26, 2010
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.