Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

pDev: 10%
Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
aubuc1

4.43/5  rDev +3%

12 oz bottle poured in to a goblet

pours a clear dark golden color with a steady white head.

Crisp clean smell of grapefruit, pine, and malty sweetness.

Great taste of bitterness and malty. Very sharp bitterness that leaves each taste better than the last.

Good mouthfeel, but the dry bitterness makes very drinkable.

01-04-2009 21:25:52 | More by aubuc1
cdeem

This is my favorite IPA, rich with Hops and heavy on the palate, but very enjoyable once you develop your taste for IPA's! Stone brews are all similar in their high alcohol percentage but still very enjoyable for the micro-brew connoisseur. There short story's on the back of all their brews are enjoyable to read as well and I find Ruination's to be true, the part about not being able to enjoy lesser brews after developing a favorable taste to the double IPA! Great Brew! and cheers to all the Hop Heads!

01-04-2009 19:56:56 | More by cdeem
GWaters

New Hampshire

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass - no freshness date

Straight out, I love this beer. This beer takes a risk and it pays off. It makes a bold statement and does not spare the exclamation point at the end.

Pour: Light colored, like straw. Ruination has a healthy foamy head, 2.5 fingers that last. It leaves a thick sheet of beautiful lacework once it does settle.

Smell: In a word, HOPS. The hops are ever present, yet this beer still isn't bitter. The malt and alcohol keep the hops in check. Yes, there is a citrus undertone, and some toasted muffin scent underneath.

Taste: This is where this beer really wins out. Yes, it is a powerful IPA, but this is no one trick pony either. This beer continues to impress with a complex array of flavors from the citrus lead in to a more refined cookie or biscuit taste in the end. Some people think this beer is bitter, I would say it is strong. There is almost an edge, but just as you think it has an edge, it lets off and gives you desert.

Drinkability: I could drink this beer all day, but I love the hops and complexity.

Notes:
I don't like to claim I have a favorite beer because there are beers for every occasion. This beer is definitely one of my tops though. I can enjoy this beer any time.

01-03-2009 06:06:29 | More by GWaters
JWD

I like this beer, it is the good stansd by for all occasions,

A- golden orange in color, this looks good

S- BITTER and more BITTER but good very piney and citrus orange peel

T- as the label claims, destruction of your palate, this is the only beer i have had that i still taste the next day.

M- normal for an IPA and IIPA but good and very drinkable and enjoyable.

D- Good, i have had several half barrels of this and continue to enjoy it in my home draft system. not my number one draft but pretty close.

overall great beer with great availibilty..

01-03-2009 03:08:16 | More by JWD
sweetbrew82

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a pint glass; no freshness date

P: Pours light gold from the bottle, and looks a golden honey color in the glass. Huge, healthy pearly white head is thick and creamy, showing amazing retention! Leaves a thick sheet of beautiful lacework as it finally settles. One of the better lace jobs I've seen yet.

A: Hops, hops, and some more hops. Got a little lemon pine sol aroma to it, with some oranges and pineapple as well. Buried underneath all of this mind-blowing hop goodness is a toasty biscuity malt presence.

T: Wow! I was pretty sure that I'd like this by the smell of it, but this is even better than I expected. It's fantastic! Huge waves of delicious citrusy hops come crashing down on the tongue in the somewhat sweet start, then the bitterness begins to take over from there. Mouth-watering hop flavors full of lemons, clementines, and some pineyness has me hypnotized under it's spell. It's no one trick pony, though, as there is a nice clean biscuity malt presence with some caramel in the background. But, make no mistake, the hops are being showcased here front and center. There is a pungeant flavor that emerges halfway through that I find extremely pleasant, only adding to the depth of character. Finishes dry & full of bittering hops just as it should, but they are gentle IBU's if you can believe it. Aftertaste leaves your tongue tingling like crazy and yearning for some more hop-a-licious goodness. Outstanding!!!

M: Medium-bodied, deceptively smooth, and perfectly carbonated to provide the ideal bite to compliment the bitterness.

D: Excellent. What else can you say?

Notes: I love Stone beers! They are always incredibly full-flavored, bold, robust, and full of that signature character they always bring to the table. Ruination is no exception. To tell you the truth, it reminds me a bit of Hop Wallop. But, this blows it out of the water as far as I'm concerned. I think Ruination is, obviously, hop-forward in the taste, but does a great job of staying somewhat balanced and never crosses the line into the territory of being overwhelming. One of my favorites for sure! Highly recommended

01-03-2009 02:59:49 | More by sweetbrew82
jsp2

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

Golden color with thin head. Smells of citrusy hops and a little bit of malty sweetness. Very pleasing smell, the hops are well present. Taste starts with herbal, sour hop bitterness with some grapefruit, a little bit of malt in the background, then finishes with INTENSE bitterness and a small touch of alcohol. The carbonation is at a nice level and does not seem to attenuate the grapefruit flavors of the hops too much. Excellent feel in the mouth, and very easy to drink.

What a delight. The bitterness of this brew is what really makes it great. There is not too much sweety maltness going on, at least that I can taste, compared to some other double IPAs. That said, I did not taste any exceptional flavors or oils from the hops, but the ones I noticed were very good.

01-01-2009 00:09:26 | More by jsp2
Wackyfoot

Oregon

4.68/5  rDev +8.8%

Hazy yellowy orange color and a smallish cloudy white head. The smell of hops is insanely huge with hops and the flavor hits you with an equally insane hop feel and hints of fruit, mainly orange and pineapple. Extremely tasty brew, and it just might ruin you.

12-30-2008 03:31:50 | More by Wackyfoot
beckje01

3.33/5  rDev -22.6%

A- Gold color with lots of activity and a quarter inch of white head looks creamy.

S- Clean hops but not much there

T- Big hop kick but no malt some in the background but weak.

M- good thickness and nice carbonation.

D- A slow drinker, overall solid but not as good as others from Stone.

12-28-2008 07:33:19 | More by beckje01
WickedSluggy

4.83/5  rDev +12.3%

The story ptinted on the label warns "if you are not already a confirmed hophead... ...this is
NOT a place start."

I wish people would read this before buying and reviewing. If they were allergic to peanuts I would just assume not read their review of Skippy peanut butter either.

I consider myself a hophead. I do love this beer. I remember the first time I tried it. It was a WOW experience. It is not just a highly hopped ale. It is a short intense tongue-trip.

I drank a bottle last night with the intent to review. Here is what I wrote:

L - Attractive amber color - clear not hazy. Nice foamy head that forms rings with lacy patterns between.

S - Hops! Smells gorgeous like a bag of centenial. After tasting you can continue to smell the hops when you exhale through your nose with your mouth closed.

T - Hop bitterness is pronounced but the malt side is present and in good form - honey buns or donuts. This beer tastes very good.

M - Medium full. There is a nice sticky foam on the lips after each sip

D - If I had another I would drink it. Thoroughly enjoyable.

12-26-2008 15:41:12 | More by WickedSluggy
onecrazybreeze

Colorado

2.6/5  rDev -39.5%

Bottle. Pours amber, smells citrus and piney. Intense hoppiness does ruin the palate just as promised once consumed. It was almost spicy because of all the hops, definitely unlike any other DIPA I've ever had. I wouldn't say it was a bad beer, I just felt it didn't necessarily live up to the hype and I found it to be kind of one note. Not really a bad brew, just not anything I'll be drinking again anytime soon.

12-26-2008 10:43:12 | More by onecrazybreeze
slatetupelo

Mississippi

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

A - Pours a cloudy golden straw color with a thick off white head that has great retention. Good lacing.

S - Hops, citrus, pines, fruity, just damn good.

T - Mmmm... Really good and balanced with just the right amount of bitterness. Tastes of citrus, probably grapfruit.

D - With a low abv for a DIPA and a good clean taste I could drink a coupld 22ozs with no problem.

12-26-2008 07:09:56 | More by slatetupelo
gabrielsyme

Got this as a xmas gift!

Bomber poured into an english pint.

Crystal clear gold pour, substantial carbonation and nice white head.

Smell is spruce and pine, with maybe a little citrus.

Taste is initially all bitter, but then, like a hard-to-get woman, it opens up and becomes beautiful. Lots of grapefruit and some spruce. The malt profile comes out as the beer warms with caramel and some toasted flavors. The carbonation is heavy enough to keep this one light tasting for a while after opening.

I am not a hophead by any means but this is ok.

12-26-2008 01:14:10 | More by gabrielsyme
sgoodship

4.53/5  rDev +5.3%

Picked this up at the Liquor Stop in Highland, Indiana after a visit to 3F.

A: Attractive syrupy clear liquid that is golden amber in color. A nice one finger white fluffy head that starts delivering lacing immediately. As the drink progresses, the lacing is spectacular - looks like icicles.

S: Really big, super fresh leafy hops with lemony grapefruit.

T: Nice biting aggressive hop up front. Mellows out an then goes into a piney bitter aftertaste. Really big and really refreshing. Aftertaste is edging toward being too bitter but the ball manages to stay in play. There may be some malt there but it is clearly outranked unlike many of the DIPA's I have had recenty. The "Ruination" of senses is written as tongue-in-cheek marketing on the bottle but I actually felt my oral senses being numbed by this brew. It is definitely a hop assault. Luckily, I'm a hop head and I can appreciate it. Hold the boat! Right toward the last third of the drink when it warmed up, the malt came out and it is a subtler brew but just as impressive. Malt takes away the aggressiveness of the aftertaste but the hops are still big - really nice!

M: Light in body. Nice clean, crisp and well carbonated.

D: The lower ABV and lightness of this beer make it a very easy brew to throw back. It is a nice, clean and refreshing. Love the freshness of the hops. If you are looking to OD on hops, look no further. I have to admit that this is going to go pretty high up on my list of DIPA's.

12-24-2008 03:29:30 | More by sgoodship
BierFan

4.22/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a cervoise.

Appearance: 1 inch off-white head sitting on top of a dark honey colored body. Slight haze from the yeast.

Smell: Big dry-hopped citrus and grapefruit aroma.

Taste: Like biting into a big juicy grapefruit, devouring peel and all. Very delicious, but not as bitter as I thought it would be.

12-23-2008 23:53:58 | More by BierFan
Chelsea1905

Washington

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

This is actually the beer that brought me to this site, so I can't believe it has taken me this long to review it!!!

When poured into a snifter, it pours a nice slightly hazy light amber colour with an off white head. Very mild carbonation

Smells like lemon zest, dry hops, apricot, a little yeast and malt in the background. Strangely, and this isn't a dig at the beer, it smells like citrus washing up liquid!

Tastes great, nice bitter hops, very floral and the IBU's hit the tongue immediately. Slightly aftershave like alcohol taste too it also!

Mouthfeel is nice and lightly bubbly, not overly effervescent.

Pretty heavy in the ABV, but to be honest for a DIPA it's not overly bad! Could drink a bomber easily, but not too much more after!

Scott

12-21-2008 08:25:40 | More by Chelsea1905
biggred1

Indiana

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Light honey blonde with a fat pillow of head that lasts for several minutes after the pour. Leaves a ton of resinous lace all down the glass. Smells like fresh potent hops, piney and citrusy with a dollop of fresh bready yeastiness. Taste is very balanced between big hops and a smooth malty character very tasty but not really overly bitter for being supposedly over 100 IBUs, seems less bitter than the regular stone IPA to me. Good heavy smooth mouthfeel with a kind of dry salty finish, alcohol is well hidden. Dangerously drinkable.

12-20-2008 23:45:10 | More by biggred1
LilBeerDoctor

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

Reviewed on 6/11/08. Bottle. Pours an orange/amber with a light tan head. Aroma of citrus, grapefruit, and pine. Flavor of bready malt, bitter hops (pine, citrus), and spices/salt. Really an onslaught of hops in this beer. Nice strong malt presence to mesh with the strong hops. A very good IPA, very well-balanced.
8/4/9/4/15 (4.0/5)

Update 12/30/08. Had a fresh bottle of this again. It is good but super bitter. Not as good as I originally thought but still tasty. Your palate really does take a beating.
7/4/8/4/15 (3.8/4)

12-20-2008 15:23:57 | More by LilBeerDoctor
yesyouam

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

Stone Ruination IPA Pours with a frothy off-white head which fades in a few minutes. It is amber: about 10-12 SRM. It's a bit hazy. The hops are apparent in the first whiff (from about a meter away). I get an intricate aroma of herbs (wintergreen?) and possibly lemon. There is a hint of green apple and possibly salmiakki. The flavor brings thing into the medicinal realm, to be sure. An herbal flavor, again with salmiakki (I wonder what hop or hops are doing this) dominate and continue into the aftertaste. A very wet and delicate medium to light texture with a very slight carbonation gives way to a dry, lightly alcoholic aftertaste. I personally prefer an IPA to go the dry-hopped floral route (a la Magnolia's Proving Ground Pale) when over 100 IBUs but, that said, the bitterness was pulled off very craftily in this beer. This really doesn't seem more that double the bitterness of a Liberty Ale. It's more complex than I expected it to be.
(rated Jan 17, 2007)

12-20-2008 05:53:54 | More by yesyouam
Klgkenny

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

A light pour into a pint glass--

Pour produces a thin head which leaves rings on the glass as I drink. The ruination is a glowing gold. Bubbles of carbonation sporadically rise as the glass is disturbed.

The ruination initially smells of apples, then hops, and finally a scent of white zinfandel... Don't ask me, it's what I smell. Prior to actually drinking the beer, as I inhale through my mouth, I can already taste the hops.

Once I finally take a sip, the aromas metamorphose into tastes. A lightly sweet, honey, sticky apple taste and then a tidal wave of hops. Everything that I had read about this beer had me prepared for a rush of offensive overly bitter hops, but the hops were perfectly balanced with the initial sweetness. Also, it seemed that as the beer warmed to room temperature, it became more balanced. A very pleasant taste. I am not generally pleased by IPA's, but this beer may be the one to make me switch teams.

Although the beer's taste becomes more balanced as it warms, the mouthfeels gets thinner. I will have to do an experiment to determine the perfect mean. Initially, the ruination is crisp and delightful. Extremely refreshing, but at the very end it seemed a bit slimier.

Very drinkable until the very end (and that may be because I drank too slow.) As I said earlier, this beer may be a gateway drug into the illicit world of IPA's.

12-20-2008 00:09:04 | More by Klgkenny
meday

New Hampshire

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into an imperial pint glass.

Bright shiny golden color with just a hint of red. Nice head and head retention.

Immediately I could smelled what I thought was cascade, but looked up and found it was centennial hops. I new from reputation and smell this was going to be a vessel for hops.

Hello hops. Initial taste is hops. I couldn't get around the hop flavor. I usually love more balanced beers, but this hop flavor definitely is pleasant and not overbearing. It reminded me of the hop tea I made with one homegrown cascade hop and a bit of honey. It tastes like the base beer is very well balanced, with enough extra hops to make it a hop beer.

It has a great feel in the mouth, not strong or biting as some Double IPAs can get. If finishes well and I easy finished the bottle by myself (my wife hates all hoppy beers except for anything from Dogfish...weird)

12-19-2008 13:39:27 | More by meday
Dirty1

Colorado

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

I picked up a bomber of this at Whole Foods the other day. I poured it into a pint glass.

A- Pours a nice cloudy deep gold with the barest hint of amber. Decent 1/2" white head with some laceing.

S- Wow, it smells like fresh squeezed hop juice! Nice big floral nose with lots of grapefruite and some pine.

T- It starts slightly sweet with a nice floral hops flavor. Big citrus profile, mainly grapefruite and lemons. Some nice light pine and grass compliment. Finishes with a nice spicey, peppery bite that coats the tounge. The hops are definatly the star of this show, but in a nice balanced progression.

M- Meduim body with a good carbonation. Slightly oily (maybe from all the hop oils!) that coats the tounge nicely. I will be tasteing this for hours.

D- Lovely beer! Aggresive hop profile that progress nicely from sweet and floral to citrusy and piney to spicey and bitter. I loved this a lot! I could easily kill a 6 pack in one sitting. I hope to be able to find this very often! Cheers!

12-19-2008 04:31:50 | More by Dirty1
Arbitrator

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

Chilled bomber into a glass. I'm re-reviewing this. The last time I had it, I was really sick of hops and wrote a fairly down review of the beer. I have revisited it now that I'm really into IPAs.

A: Pours a clear orange body with 3 fingers of off-white head. Retention is spectacular, and the film collapses in sections over several minutes into a light collar on the brew. There is a thick sheet of sticky lacing down the glass as I drink. Lazy bubbles up the glass.

S: Hop bouquet. Mostly pine/herbal with a floral note, but there was plenty of citrus in there, too. Some earth.

T: Dominated entirely by hops. The showcase was definitely pine; when I agitated the beer, it was possible to pick up some herbal and floral touches. Through it all, there is an undercurrent of citrus, with particular attention to orange, grapefruit, and lemon flavors. The finish is a bright pine and grassy hop character that pulls into the finish and leaves a lightly sticky, bitter aftertaste. The beer is semi-dry, which explains why I have trouble picking up any malt.

M: Medium-bodied, with moderate carbonation. About right for the style. ABV is well masked. Flavor is a bit sticky, but not too resiny. Semi-dry body and finish.

D: I'll be honest, I've spent so much time drinking Pliny that this just doesn't do it for me anymore. It's balls to the wall hops, without a lot of refinement or balance (two things that I feel Pliny does very well). I'd buy this once in a while, but as far as DIPAs go, it's not at the top of my list.

12-18-2008 21:47:07 | More by Arbitrator
baos

Indiana

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

12 ounce bottle into my Good-Luck Atlas jar.

A: 2 finger white head over a pretty orangey-gold color. Nice lacing.

S: Spice!!! Super hops and a hint of warm malt in there. Someone poured pine resin and kind bud hash in my fresh squeezed orange juice and said, "here: smell!"

T: Now this is about as extreme as it gets before you wonder if someone gave you a glass of retsina. Super grapefruit peel and orange zest flavors that end really bitter and believe or not really good. If it is too much at first take your time and let it warm and sip it. This one will grow on you (That's what she said).

M: Nice medium feel with good carbonation.

D: It is awfully strong but I think three of these over cards of ultra spicy snacks is called for. But a whole sixer may take your taste buds on a field trip that will take a while to recover from.

12-18-2008 02:08:09 | More by baos
jdklks

Nevada

4.6/5  rDev +7%

A- deep, golden tint. very clear, with a nice white foam that lingers for awhile and then leaves traces.

S- magnificent! very very hoppy and fruity. one of the best smelling beers in my opinion.

T- again, magnificent. very hoppy with a lingering bitterness. hints of grapefruit at the end. slightly malty, but the hoppiness is so overwhelming that it establishes itself more than the other flavors. a great beer for the hophead!

M- medium bodied, and again, a lingering presence. very smooth, but at the same time it lets you know that it is there.

D- can easily get through a 6 pack of these and would more often if they werent so damn expensive. they go down easy and leave you feeling good. had to take off .5 of a point for the price as it is a beer that you want to savor, and as such, you only want to drink one or two a night.

12-18-2008 01:22:42 | More by jdklks
magictrokini

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%

Incredible Double IPA. Pours hazy orange-gold with a thick white head. Impressive lacing all the way to the bottom. Huge, massive, colossal hop aroma. Resin, resin, grapefruit, celery, and resin. Taste was immense. Resiny goodness coated evertthing from the white and pink grapefruit to the caramel cookie dough malt. No biscuits, either. I actually like this more than AleSmith's Yule Smith. The taste is stronger, hoppier, and far more bitter. If you do not like IPA's, you will truly hate this beer.

12-16-2008 18:35:15 | More by magictrokini
Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.