Stone Ruination IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Ruination IPAStone Ruination IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Ruination IPA Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +3%

On tap at Rattle N Hum, served in a tulip.

Pours a bright orange, with a dense couple of fingers of creamy white head. Retains its head nicely, and laces fantastically. Nose has loads of citrus, mango, orange, some dank and loads of tropical notes all around. Taste is bitter right off the bat, less maltiness and all citrus/tropical fruits. Some pine makes its way in there too. Heavy bitterness with a mouthfeel that lingers immesely. No alcohol. Awesome IPA overall, this one rips enamel and does so with style and flavour.

4.42/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a clear yellow golden color with off white head. Laced down my glass.

Citrus and pine hops invade the nose, but not overpower it. It's a very good smell. After sifting through this a bit there's a nice malt.

Huge bitter earthy american hops up front. Citrus gathers through the middle and after several sips a malt began appearing. Some tropical sweetness in the middle. Profound hop bitter finish. The after is bitter and a nice orange taste. Subtle spicy alcohol notes compliment the hops for the finish.

Medium to light mouthfeel

Overall, hoppy. I think that there were hops. And also the hops were good. But yeah this thing balanced increasingly as I sipped and subdued malt sweetness developed well. It's good.

4.38/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz. Bomber poured in two parts into a pint sized tulip glass.

Loose foamy head sits atop a hazy orange ale. Small groups of sticky lace. Grassy, spicy hop nose. Sharp, dry, crisp. Huge bitterness coats the back of your throat. Sweet dark malt evens things out. Resinous sticky pine bitterness lingers, no real leafy presence. Alcohol, gin hits fast. Palate ruining bitterness smacks your throat hard, but isn't that the point? Still quafable. I'd attempt to stick with this beer for a session if I found it on tap, but it would be a short night!

4.82/5  rDev +12.1%

Short review here. This is my first time having this beer. Poured from a 22 ouncer into a mug. Color is a nice clear amber. Lacing stays long after the beer is gone. Smell is amazing, citrus and pine. Taste is phenomenal, definitely one of favorite beers, had a Sierra Nevada torpedo IPA not long ago and this in my opinion blows that out of the water. Definitely worth the high price tag, will buy again and again.

3.45/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Split a 12oz bottle with my wife, poured into a pint glass.

A) Light/golden color, small white head that lingers but doesn't stick much to the glass.

S) Some hops and citrus are the most prevalent.

T) Wow.... a lot of citrus and hops fight for center stage.... overall it's a very citrus-heavy DIPA.

M) Dry, and overall typical of the style, but I think there is a little more alcohol bite than I would expect from a beer with such a low ABV at 7% or so.

O) Tasty, I just wish the weather outside would cooperate so I could enjoy this refreshing brew even more. I have the remainder of the 6-pack that I'm sure to enjoy.

2.67/5  rDev -37.9%

Reviewed from notes taken on 4-8-11.

Light gold color is held within my Darkness snifter. Six feet of head that lasts forever. Very light pine and citrus on the nose. This smells pretty good.

I wish it tasted as good as it smells. I think there could be a tad more carbonation. Bitter pine is up front. Hop bite is non existent.Slightly dry on the backend. I will say as the beer warmed the taste did improve.

Way to go Stone for making a terrible example of a dipa. People are excited about the brewery being released here. I am not in that camp. This beer is less than stellar. So why should my beer dollars be given to a less than average product when there is local superiority already established? Good luck Stone you are going to need it. Surly is king in this state and you will soon find out.

3.36/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 22 oz. bomber into a snifter

First off - WOW! This is extremely intense beer!

Appearance - One of the best-looking IIPA's - and beers in general - I've ever seen. A beautiful crystal clear orange color. The head was a good 2 fingers and was off-white, almost a slight orange color. It looked like apple juice with a foamy head. Looking at this beer in a snifter would make your mouth water!

Smell - Definite hop presence (duh). American hops - citrusy, orange-grapefruit almost. A slight fruity characteristic and a little bit of malty sweetness.

Taste - KA-POW! I wonder why they call it Ruination... Right away, ridiculous bitterness from the hops. I am 3/4 of the way through the bottle now, and so far they are still hanging around. My tongue is sort of adjusting, but I still taste a huge amount of the bitterness. Usually with IPAs and IIPAs, the bitterness sort of disappears after about halfway through the bottle. Not this one! There's a lot of orange flavor, as well as some slight piney-ness. Very slight grapefruit flavor, especially compared to other IIPAs (Double Trouble, Pliny, etc). There's a slight lemony characteristic - more so in the "sting" than flavor. After awhile, there's a fruity/malty sweetness but I have to say it's kind of difficult to find it on the tongue due to the hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel - A moderate body on this one, not as thick as other IIPAs I have had. There's a little bit of carbonation toward the beginning, but not nearly enough to scrub the tongue. There's also a slight sting from the bitterness - the kind of thing that would make you really notice a mouth sore if you had one. All of that being said, though, it is quite drinkable. It's very smooth once you get past the hop mine field.

Overall - This is not your average, every day IPA! I have a friend who dislikes hops and he said this beer was the worst thing he has ever had. I disagree with him, but I will definitely agree that if you don't like hops then you should STEER CLEAR from this beer (it says so right on the bottle!). If you are a hop head (like me), then you will find this beer quite enjoyable and very, very interesting! I feel like if you drank this too often, you would no longer be able to taste hop bitterness.

It's definitely a tasty beer, I found it quite enjoyable and I would definitely drink it again! (But not too often)

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Full bomber poured into a 24-oz glass, golden, slightly bubbly, with two fingers of head, leaving lacing. Smell was an inviting blast of pine and citrus-grapefruit. The taste was one-dimensionally resin bitter with little if any balance. Of course thats by design, but it's somewhat over the top for me.

I'd be willing to revisit it occasionally, but it always ruins my palate..

Revisited 7/2012:

Creamy smooth mouthfeel, zingy carbonation very nice. Synergies apparent with the citric, tropical hop favors doused in a provident malt base. Does tend to get dry, and dries out the palate, but nonetheless it's very drinkable, very enjoyable.

3.15/5  rDev -26.7%

Body has a golden haze color with visible carbonation. Thick white head with medium retention. Smells sweet like candy. Strange.

Given the name, I was ready for a rather intense IPA. Kind of disappointing in that regard. Has a harsh finish. Decent flavor, I suppose, but not too much complexity. Slightly watery mouthfeel. Challenging to swallow.

One of these will do. Don't think I'll go out of my way to have another.

2.64/5  rDev -38.6%

Tapped into a tulip.

Appearance - Pale hazy amber body. Small head with decent to low retention.

Smell - Very complex and grassy. Slight manure smell. Very distinct wet paint smell with a hint of mold. Good smell other than the wet paint off-smell that can't be unsmelled.

Taste - Astringent taste combined with the smell makes me think of paint remover.

Mouthfeel - Good smooth mouthfeel.

Overall Drinkability - The wet paint smell was a beer ruiner. Talk about ruination. Had high hopes for this beer coming in, so I'm surprised that this was such a let down. Maybe I got unclean glassware, or there were bad tap lines, but for whatever reason this is the first high expectation beer that has bombed so horribly for me in a long time.

3.97/5  rDev -7.7%

Drank on tap at Mad Monk, Fremantle

A - Pours a Golden copper colour witha decent head that dies quickly, but does lace the glass

S - Plenty of piney aromas and grapefruit

T - Heaps of grapefruit present, with citrus and pine apple as a backup. Bitter and grassy on the finish.

M - Medium bodied and plenty of carbonation.

O - A really good IPA with plenty going on

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

Bomber of stone ruination this afternoon. Glad to have this in Minnesota now. Nice color of golden amber and a nose of citrus piney lemony goodness. Tasted just hits on the palate! Love it. Finish is not quite there with abrasive, but like the hops an bitter it brings. Great brew.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Poured cloudy and bright yellow into the glass with one finger of frothy head that laced like a monster.

S: Pungent angry hops, lots of alcohol, maybe even some rubbing alcohol, hop oil. As it warms the hop profile blossoms into spiciness, mild citrus, more pine and some biscuit.

T: Bitterness hits me upfront, then the white grapefruit, some citrus, mild pineapple. I do get a sense of tropical fruit notes people mention but not sure I could have identified it on my own. The biscuits come in and quickly depart allowing the acidic alcohol notes to pull you into another round of herbal and grassy notes before a big bitter finish that. Insane blend of hops and malt.

M: Thick and full.

O: Strange hop bomb. It comes on super bitter and alcoholic but turns out to be very interesting mix of citrus, earthiness and pale malt. Let it warm a bit and then marvel at it.

3.52/5  rDev -18.1%

I thought this beer stood up to the typical stone philosophy - bold hoppiness. I do enjoy a great IPA and this is definitely one of those. Though this beer does not tickle my IPA tongue fancy. The bitterness of the beer is not balanced with anything. I feel like stone just put a bunch of hops in without anything else. If there is anything else added to the beer it cannot be tasted due to the overpowering plethora of hops. I think a delicious IPA needs to have that bold hopiness added with a nice balance. The nose on the beer is amazing and choc full of hops. The taste and mouthfeel left me wanting something to counter the bitterness a bit. Overall a great beer for straight up hops but my taste buds wanted something that mellowed that boldness

4.74/5  rDev +10.2%

My second favorite IPA...Pliny the Elder is first. Amazing flavor and bitterness. A refreshing amount of hops. Very clean tasting. Overall, one of my favorite beers. Too bad a 6 pack at bev mo is around $15 :( If you want an IPA that really stands out, this is more than what you are looking for.

3.92/5  rDev -8.8%

Had this on tap in a tulip glass. Good looking beer, copper color with a whitish 1" head that fizzle down after a few minutes. Really good aroma- pine, citrus, hops. Really easy going down and you could taste the orange peel citrus on the front, and not even that overwhelming on the back end- although the hops do linger a bit. At over 100BU, Ruination is supposed to ruin your palette. I enjoyed my beer without food, bubecause it might not pair well with certain foods.

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured from a 12 fl oz bottle into a pint glass. Enjoy by 05 30 11 (when was this bottled??) Loooong description of the beer on the back of the bottle threatening to ruin my palate. Challenge accepted!

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, calm golden body with a thiiiick bready head on top. Beautiful looking beer. Head recedes from the bottom up, leaving about a quarter inch of dense dough.

Smell: Straight pine forest. Am I Christmas tree shopping? I'll take a douglas fir!

Taste: Fantastic! Pine and citrus fruit with virtually no detectable alcohol from this 7.7% ABV beast. A hophead's wet dream.

Mouthfeel: This beer feels thick and hearty. Could I live off of this and this alone? Quite possibly.

Overall: I don't know about my palate, but a beer this good could definitely be ruinous on my retirement savings. I'm in love...sorry honey.

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

Appearance:

Good mix of copper, orange and amber. Thick foamy head that is well retained.

Smell:

Citrusy hops with an essence of pine. A bit of a floral arrangement can be detected as well as sweet/caramel malt.

Taste:

Pine and citrus are the major players. The bitter kick proves the 100+ IBU label is no lie. The slight mix of the malty flavor is a very nice touch

Mouthfeel:

Low carbonation on the tongue. Goes down smooth. A little bit dry and surprisingly light for a DIPA

Overall:

I did enjoy this beer. The only issue I had was that it seemed to be a little pointlessly over bitter. However, that was what they were trying to achieve and they did so. And since I do enjoy bitter brews, it wasnt too much of an issue to me. I will definitely have another in the future

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured into a Tulip/Flute glass.

A:This gives me the evil eye, a orange peel stare. One finger head leaves a savoring lace on the glass.

S:Sweet n piney greens, with a lot of citrus drizzle.

T:So bitter, the breath you take after every sip turns the air sweet. A bundle of grapefruit, oranges, lime, green apple pine cones.

M:The malts are skillfully set in this DIPA definitely a palate wrecker. But surprisingly tasted a little bit of toasted malts that sneaked in when it was at its coldest.

O:So much hops it got drafted straight out of High School.

4.47/5  rDev +4%

I'm catching this one right at the limit - best before is 4/11/11, and I'm right there. Poured from a 22oz bottle into multiple schooners...:)

A - light amber/yellow in appearance, clear with a fluffy white head that resolves after about 5 minutes leaving bits of lacing around the glass.

S - super fragrant citrus/pine hops on the nose. Nicely cutting and sharp.

T - the hops really dominate this one with a strong citrus hops bitterness almost like orange peel dominating over a hint of malt.

M - moderately carbonated but surprisingly light for an imperial. There's elements of oilness, as well as a hint of booziness but bother are relatively subdued.

D - it's surprisingly drinkable and goes down very easy!

A superb IIPA; delicious hop bomb, but not quite overpowering. Shows a lot of finesse.

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

Enjoy by: 5/30/11

Pours a clear pale amber color. Thin white head, some retention.

Smell is citrus hops with a little alcohol and a little malty sweetness.

Tastes pretty much like it smells. Hops are there, but fading. Still fairly bitter, but a good bit of sweetness in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is good, not too carbed.

Overall, probably a little closer to faded than fresh. Still a pretty good beer, but it doesn't blow me away.

4.02/5  rDev -6.5%

A - A burnt orange, cloudy hazy color. Just the way I like em to look

S - Oh sweet heavens, the beer gods have shine a light on this beer. It smells fantastic. Sweet floral hops, with citrus present. Maybe some lemon.

T - Very good, but its a little more bitter and less citrusy than the aroma led me to expect. Very malty, bitter aftertaste. It is a malt/hop bomb for sure.

M - Medium bodied and pretty high carbonation level.

D - While it is extremely tasty, I think 1 is enough at a time. I will get it again though, for when I need a Hop attack!

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours golden to orange. Fills the glass with a cloudy glow capped with glowing white lace. Head fades with snowflake lacing, nice overall retention. Nose is floral, citrus and pine. Taste is the same but earthy hops with grapefruit and some honey on the finish. Definitely a beer for hop fans only. Nice and creamy but still with a crisp mouthfeel. Extremely drinkable for a near 8% abv double. Another great beer from Stone, one of my favorite breweries. I could session with this double IPA.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

The white head is of small stature, of a smooth consistency, with larger bubbles sporadically interspersed, with good stickiness and staying power. The aroma of fresh hops is unmistakable as it emanates from the glass, with a hint of lemony citrus. Active carbonation keeps the thin carpet of foam replenished as the slightly hazy amber liquid is consumed.

Brisk and bright hops surround the tongue as the brew hits the mouth, engulfing the taste buds with grapefruit and bitter orange flavors. A background of bread grains is barely noticeable as the hopfest dominates the palate, leaving a tangy citrus finish.

This is a well made IPA of good character.

4.07/5  rDev -5.3%

12oz bottle poured in a Nonic.

A - Golden amber with a fluffy white head. Somewhat cloudy body. Thick sticky lacing was impressive.

S - Very floral plus fruity orange peel citrus smell with pine background. No real malt coming through in the smell.

T - Hop bomb with some toasted malt coming through, but definitely playing second fiddle. The finish is deeply hoppy, and maybe that doesn't really catch it, but that's how it felt. Hops permeating my soul. The bottle says "A liquid poem to the glory of the hop" and that about sums it up. All that said, the deepness of the hop flavor loses some of the complexity found in other top IPAs. The alcohol comes through a bit in a pleasant way in the aftertaste.

M - Medium bodied and smooth, and doesn't detract from the smell and taste.

D - The hops are addicting and make me want to have another, but couldn't drink too many of these.

Overall, a bold tasty brew hopheads will love, though I still prefer Racer 5, Blind Pig and some others that to me seem to have a more complex and satisfying hop profile.

Stone Ruination IPA from Stone Brewing Co.